PDA

View Full Version : Who Here Hates the Pokemon Anime?

ben cousins
December 24th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I Hate it and the Anime is what gave Pokemon the ''only for kiddies'' rep imo

SilverAbsol
December 24th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Is that...the only reason you hate the anime?

I've watched a few episodes, and they don't seem that bad at all, especially the first 2 movies. However I much prefered reading the Manga, had to stop at the end of the Yellow saga because I couldn't find any gold/silver Manga anywhere.

Kenshin5
December 24th, 2011, 02:59 PM
It does? You mean the game itself doesn't give that rep either? Care to elaborate as too why you hate it instead of just say "Oh yeah it's kiddy end of story". IMO the franchise itself was primarily aimed toward kids, so the anime perpetuating this notion seems to not make much sense. Yes the anime has more of a kid friendly tone then some of the elements that are shown in the manga, but that doesn't mean that its the sole reason as to why people that don't care about the franchise as a whole have a notion that it is for kids and only for kids. Maybe Pocket Monsters doesn't fit their taste, that doesn't mean they think its childish.

As for a reason that I find displeasure is the same repetitive regression about ever Generation or just about every generation. The same old antics are being used which get rather dull and boring after awhile. And at times it would seem like story lines are recycles which I don't mind so much since its been going on for 13 years.

Digimon Kaiser
December 24th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Meh.. the plot is getting repetitive. I'd rather watch Digimon.

Markichuuuuu
December 24th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I'll always love the first saga, but from then on I've always had a love/hate relationship with it. I love watching it from time to time, but I'd hate to sit down and watch all of it.

Spinor
December 24th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Oh yes, because it's REALLY cool to hate shows 'only for kiddies', right OP?

And what reputation are you talking about? The games are very certainly played by children and college students alike. The only effect that has happened with the anime is that nobody really pays attention to it anymore. It's purpose is now to entertain Saturday morning children, not to provide quality entertainment material. If it clearly doesn't serve the purpose you seek, why pass judgment? Let go of your hate and enjoy what's left of Pokemon. I would... if I had the time >__>

Volcanix769
December 24th, 2011, 05:03 PM
It's for kids? If so, why be on this website in the first place?

Trance and Moss
December 24th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I have never seen a full episode of the show. It didn't interest me when I saw it a few years ago.

Minishcap
December 24th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I don't hate it, but I confess that I'm not that interested in the anime. I do enjoy the movies a little because of the storytelling and all the mystical stuff. I prefer to play the games.

ben cousins
December 25th, 2011, 01:30 AM
The game is directed at pre teens/whatever but who cares,so is my little pony but that's hella popular with teens/adults.The anime is WAY to ''censored'' and uninspired to become a cult hit you know what i'm saying,the first season in kanto was pretty good and nostalgic though.I think when they got rid of misty was when the show started to go downhill.Just my opinion.I have not seen anything post movie 4 movie wise so ya i guess i can't judge that sector,But the first four were great[not by movie critic standerd of coarse]

Charicific
December 25th, 2011, 04:49 AM
"Hate"? No, but the thing is it is pretty repetitive, it is already lame for me but I can't just stop watching yet. If I start watching, I need to watch it till the VERY END. So I do watch, but it isn't so exciting. If Ash happened to show SOME, even minor, progression, THE SHOW WOULD BE EPIC!

Digimon Kaiser
December 25th, 2011, 04:55 AM
I agree, the movies are better than the anime.

Jorah
December 25th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Not me, because I don't go onto a forum that I'm not a fan of. Seems like a waste of time.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
December 25th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I *really* hate the main characters of the anime. Which, of course, pretty much ruins the whole thing for me. Sadly, the same thing also ruins the movies for me...

The Void
December 25th, 2011, 05:55 AM
The anime does suck, I admit. At least, that's what I thought until the Best Wishes series... the producers somehow made the anime for older viewers especially with all the evil stuff behind the scenes (Team Rocket, Team Plasma, etc.)

I just love the Best Wishes series and I believe that's how all the other series should've been like. But the rest of the series... they must be "kidding" me...

miltankRancher
December 25th, 2011, 06:34 AM
The best would always be the first series, when everything was simple, and all Ash had to do is to catch them all, and BW series where the story appeals to the older generation. But the others, they suck. *her is me looking at the orange season* I like May though.

Jayster23
December 25th, 2011, 06:36 AM
The best part of the anime is Team rocket. That's pretty much the only good thing about it. After the Hoenn region, haven't watched a single episode, i really can't stand it.

Sheep
December 25th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I'm an avid fan of the anime; that really only resurfaced when Best Wishes aired since I had little care for D/P (unless it involved Barry) because I disliked the washed out colors and Dawn. Honestly, it's definitely kiddish, but to each their own.

If anything, if we've gotten a little more serious with this season but at the same time, Ash's apparent "downgrade" seems to counter Team Rocket and Team Plasma's darker-than-usual plans. The target audience are children and I think kids just don't watch TV as much as they used to during the prime days of Pokemon since we've got internet sucking people in now lol.

SomariFeyWright
December 25th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I. Like. The. Anime.

It's childish. It contains no cussing. It has no blood. And unlike everything else that's still going, the main character STILL isn't in love with anybody.

... Are you going to say that makes it bad? Those qualities are what make it the last good show on CN!

psyanic
December 25th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Yeah I admit I'm a bit dissatisfied with the anime. It's one of those animes that go by a set formula, so it will definitely get boring after a while. I don't hate it though.

ben cousins
December 25th, 2011, 10:24 PM
the games always make up for the anime's failings though[their awesome games so it dosan't matter how kiddie they are]

Mew~
December 26th, 2011, 03:45 AM
the games always make up for the anime's failings though[their awesome games so it dosan't matter how kiddie they are]
I don't understand how you could know this if you've said you haven't given the rest of the series the time of day?

The formula has stayed the same since the original series, that's why some of the more dedicated Pokémon fans dislike it, not because it's for children, the whole series is made out to appeal to a younger audience, including the games. I don't see the difference in seeing new characters and main cast in the anime, with a whole new bunch of characters and protagonists in a new game. Try to come up with a better argument please.

I agree, the movies are better than the anime.
That statement doesn't even make sense, the movies are the anime we could go into the whole non-canon arguement, but I can assure you they aren't always seen to be non-canon.

Ayutac
December 26th, 2011, 04:03 AM
I don't hate it, but I don't like the drawing style and it sure has some plotholes, as you will probably agree. Besides, generic episode plot for most episodes.

Masterge77
December 26th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Personally, I think the writers should improve and put more effort into their writing, I know it's a kids show, but the writers just aren't putting enough effort into the shows writing and plots, they're getting rather cliche anymore.

Although to be fair, most video game based cartoons and animes tend to not be very good at all, with a few exceptions such as Megaman NT Warrior, which is suprisingly good for an anime based on a video game franchise.

What I am saying is that the writers need to put more effort into the shows writing, they're just throwing around lazily done plots.

The Void
December 26th, 2011, 08:06 AM
The best would always be the first series, when everything was simple, and all Ash had to do is to catch them all, and BW series where the story appeals to the older generation. But the others, they suck. *her is me looking at the orange season* I like May though.

True, so true. :D

That statement doesn't even make sense, the movies are the anime we could go into the whole non-canon arguement, but I can assure you they aren't always seen to be non-canon.

What Digimon Kaiser must've meant was that he prefers the movies to the TV Show, which is quite agreeable actually. But the BW Series showed itself to be quite as interesting as the movies, you know...

ben cousins
December 26th, 2011, 08:46 AM
i usually only watch the show when i'm simultaneously playing the game to ''rev'' me up

Spades Slick
December 26th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Not me, because I don't go onto a forum that I'm not a fan of. Seems like a waste of time.

You don't seem to have a notion that the anime isn't the only part of the franchise, while you can hate the anime, you can love the games and then join here
If you must justify your statement, come up with something better

i usually only watch the show when i'm simultaneously playing the game to ''rev'' me up

Yourself said you hate it,then why bother watching? That seems like a waste of time to me

As for me, I strongly dislike the animé due to the lack of originality (same old thing), Iris' annoying imo, Ash's more and then it's that same thing, Ash being dumb, Ash gets a badge, Something happen, etc,

Serena08
December 26th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I just hate BW, not any of the other series in the anime, so I guess I don't hate the anime.

Jorah
December 26th, 2011, 09:49 AM
You don't seem to have a notion that the anime isn't the only part of the franchise,

Really.

while you can hate the anime, you can love the games and then join here

And spam the hate while you're at it, I know.

If you must justify your statement, come up with something better

There was nothing wrong with my answer. This section is called "Pokemon Anime". I don't go into "Pokemon Trading Card Games" section and say "who else hates the Pokemon TCG?" when I am not a fan because that would be a waste of time. Thanks for playing.

In any case, I've always found it interesting that some people prefer the movies to the TV show, because I actually find the movies more repetitive story-wise, what with the whole battle of the legendaries thing the writers have became fascinated with.

Sheep
December 26th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Honestly, if you guys are looking for unique storylines with excessive character development, you're looking in the wrong place.

I personally think the anime does a good job at keeping its target audience as the prime importance while still not being too kiddish - people of any age can enjoy it.

CliveKoopa
January 2nd, 2012, 12:49 AM
I don't hate the anime at all. What I do hate is threads like this who say they hate the anime for lame reasons like "its for kids" etc.

Ein-ENB-
January 2nd, 2012, 01:00 AM
I don't take it seriously. It has a habit of creating plot holes and not mixing up with the Manga or Game lore. I enjoyed the original Series, Where Ash had a goal, set out, completed it, then went home. Like Most anime, I believed this is one that could have ended after season one.

2Cool4Mewtwo
January 2nd, 2012, 09:16 PM
while the storylines for BW haven't been that bad (I honestly actually think some are even good), Ash has been complete rubbish at his game for 5th region currently running. *mfwthereisnosmhemoticon*

Black Dragon
January 3rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
I always found the animes to ehh, if it wasn't for the games probably never watch it. Needs more Lance!

xHayleyChan
January 9th, 2012, 07:56 AM
I don't hate the anime but I am not happy with, how it's being written and how it's the same thing each episode.

I was hoping the B/W series was going to change it dramatically and it hasn't really altered it so much, except for the outward design of Ash; How many Pokemon he has caught and getting rid of Brock which seems like a mistake to me.

Although I still don't hate it I just look upon the first 5 series with Nostalgia and then it all went a little stale and downhill after that.

If it was revamped/redone then it might be a little more bearable OR a series with a older or nostalgic keen audience and keep this anime for the younger generation.

iceblade085
January 29th, 2012, 01:55 AM
I used to love the anime, but now I think it is repetitive and annoying. Most episodes start with "Ash and his friends", "our heroes", or "Ash and the gang", coming across some Pokemon in trouble or being in trouble themselves. Or, they meet a trainer with a strong Pokemon. Every episode is meant to introduce a new Pokemon, and Team Rocket tries to steal it with some mecha that can somehow negate its attacks. Plus, its annoying to see how weak Ash is and how he wins by simply being friends with his equally weak Pokemon. The Pokemon Adventures/Special manga was great; they should make an anime of that instead of this Ash -blam!-.

Zapperz
January 29th, 2012, 02:21 AM
i hate the anime. mostly because they dont air it in my country since the Hoenn series, and I cant even watch it because it was always in the early morning, around 8am or 1030am, both when Im in school. the anime also has the same beginning and ending, the similar climax in every episode etc. sometimes filler episodes too. id just rather read the wikia and see what I missed over the years and play the game.

Azumi
January 29th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Ehhh, it's gotten boring (heck I haven't been watching ever since... uh, the Subway episodes?), but there are a few merits to it, and I enjoyed the Sinnoh saga, so no, I don't hate it.

Hate is a very strong word.

arbok
January 30th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I haven't seen much past the early days but it's best not to take it too seriously. The quality of team rocket disguises is evidence of this. Of course it's for children, that's what pokemons entire market was in the early days. The only real problem I have with it is the amount of filler predictible filler and maybe the inconsistancy of some of the characters skills as trainers Ash and jessie and james in particular. Oh yeah, and how it made pikachu the undeserving mascot but other then that it's enjoyable. I fin the first two movies to be great fun.

Archenoth
January 30th, 2012, 09:48 AM
The anime gives off a much more "kiddie" reputation than the games do, but I still enjoy watching it.

The main reason that the anime's reputation is portrayed as "kiddy" is because of the style of the show, and how it presents it's stories and achievements. But really, it's not that bad at all when you compare it to your average kid's show. It is much more mature in that regard. But for your average viewer, I think the thing that gets most people is the fact that Pokemon can only say their names, and they tend to have such high pitched voices. Similar to "Kirby: Right Back At Ya!" in this regard.

The games have tried hard to improve their reputation as an "Everybody" game.

Icεy
January 30th, 2012, 11:50 AM
It's quite childish in a sense, but I do enjoy the newly-revised Team Rocket attitude!
I watch it online as I don't really have time to loaf around RTL II in a morning.

Hate isn't the right word to use - it's way to negative and strong.

Yoshikko
January 30th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I used to LOVE the anime. I love love love the first and second season, and then it just kind of went downhill for me. I watched the first two seasons like 5 times in total when I was a kid, I just couldn't get enough of the episodes even though I'd seen them over and over, but with the later seasons I just lost interest. Not because I got older - I'd love to watch the first two seasons again and I actually started to do that a while ago.

Overlord Drakow
January 30th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Yeah I also liked the first few seasons. I don't know exactly when but at some stage I just lost interest in the anime.

Zerkrom The Hedgehog
January 30th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I loved it when 4kids did the voices and writing........-.- it was more insterestingbut Black and White i never saw because of D**n Cartoon But-lickers i mean Network.

while the storylines for BW haven't been that bad (I honestly actually think some are even good), Ash has been complete rubbish at his game for 5th region currently running. *mfwthereisnosmhemoticon*
WHY HASENT HE GROWN UP GAWD. Atleate there are negros in BW :)

hack1
February 14th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I hate it. It has too munch boring filler episodes. And the plot is bad. And I hate the fact that it could be good like PokéSpecial, but it is ruined by plot and lack of it, Ash never leaving and stuff like that.

yossarian
February 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Pretty much this.

I don't have the same passion for it that I used to but to hate it seems silly - it's never done anything terrible to me. After all the fact that I'm still posting on a pokemon anime forum online (no matter how infrequently) shows that I still have an interest in it.

Nepse
February 20th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I don't hate the anime, per se, but rather the TPCi dub. I agree that it must have been what gave Pokémon the "only for kiddies" reputation. I personally blame the "new" dubbers, though, considering this is not the case in Japan. As a matter of fact, if you ask someone who thinks it's only for kids: What is Pokémon? I am 99% sure they will answer: A cartoon. So to sum up: I like the original japanese and the 4kids dub, but I REALLY hate the "new" dub.

Archenoth
February 21st, 2012, 01:24 AM
Personally, I actually quite like the Pokemon anime. Sure it may be cliche at times (Okay... A lot), but I find it genuinely entertaining to watch.

Digimon Kaiser
February 21st, 2012, 11:14 AM
It's recycling the same Arceus forsaken plot over and over again.

Kids, if you want to watch an anime about monsters that DOES NOT do that.. Go watch Digimon or something! Especially since the monsters TALK!

Archenoth
February 21st, 2012, 03:17 PM
It's recycling the same Arceus forsaken plot over and over again.

Actually... It pretty much stopped doing that after Season 6...

Seasons 2-6 were a really low part for the anime I think since it was almost the exact same plot the entire time. (Also, the Larvitar arc was horrible)

From Season 7 and up, I noticed that there are actually different objectives, the contests were nicely done and original, and there were other enemies besides just Team Rocket. So things got much more interesting.

TardisHobo
March 7th, 2012, 07:34 PM
The first few seasons were good, I watched it all the time. I started watching less and less as the years went by, but when they changed Ash's voice actor, I stopped watching completely. I still like the movies, though. :)

Piks
March 14th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Actually... It pretty much stopped doing that after Season 6...

Seasons 2-6 were a really low part for the anime I think since it was almost the exact same plot the entire time. (Also, the Larvitar arc was horrible)

From Season 7 and up, I noticed that there are actually different objectives, the contests were nicely done and original, and there were other enemies besides just Team Rocket. So things got much more interesting.
It gotten worser with season 6 and season 7 was ok but it wasn't all that great the contest were ok but they weren't original are all that great but ok, Team Aqua and Team Magma were a poorly handled team in Hoenn and Team Rocket were the best in Kanto and Johto but they were dumb down for the AG and DP series to the point they became a bland joke.

(The Larvitar arc was pure gold ) Seasons 1-5 were the golden year's of Pokemon. Hoenn was a step down from the good old days of pokemon but it was ok, Sinnoh made Pokemon become a terrible series.

It did gotten a lot better with the Unova series and it have the original feeling to it just like the OS Kanto had in season 1.

machomuu
March 27th, 2012, 05:37 PM
It did give it the "kiddie" reputation, since the show is for kids and the game is for everyone (and makes it known with undertones of death, sex, and teenage/prepubescent yearnings), but I don't think that's any reason to hate the show. Trust me, you don't hate the show; hate is a pretty big extreme.

I don't like it anymore, my favorite seasons were the pre-AG ones, though AG's not bad either. I definitely stand on the point that the first season is my favorite, though.

pokemews
April 24th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I like the first 2 seasons of Poke'mon. It set a standard for anime fans in the U.S. and literally brought anime to the public there in a way that hadn't been seen before. Coupling it with the gameboy versions. If the show had not been present then the game would not have had as much footing. Also in Yellow Version they wanted to better simulate the anime's experience. And i think many Poke'mon fans would agree that Yellow version was a great success for the franchise. I really enjoy the first handful of movies that they made as well. I don't care to much for the newer generations. especially after they replaced Ash's voice. It really was a terrible switch. And everything is done more though the computer which loses it touch. A big part about the show that i liked is that it was very well animated. Strong color choices with Ash wearing blue contrasting to Pikachu's yellow. I heard that Jigglypuff was about to be the main poke'mon sitting on Ash's shoulder. That would have failed. big time. for the obvious reason that Jigglypuff is pink and naturally a feminine color. nothing wrong with that of course. But Pikachu being a gender neutral Yellow was a very smart choice.
Anyways, I think the anime series and the game go hand in hand with the success of Poke'mon and I don't think it should have gone any other way. There are lessons to be learned when playing the game that reflect in the show. It teaches teamwork and responsibility to impressionable youth to this day. when there is so much crap out there influencing kids to continue to yell just to be loud. It makes me relish the old programs and sit here content that I was lucky enough to be exposed to Poke'mon throughout my life.

peace out.

-Grayscale-
April 24th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Don't like it anymore. Maybe I grew up, but meh... I still like to re-watch the olde episodes. I dislike the anime a lot currently, just because I find it rather stupid.

fuz
April 27th, 2012, 04:34 AM
I've noticed there are lots of Pokemon factions. Those that love competitive battling and those that like the anime. I love the first season of the anime and some of the orange islands episodes. Maybe some of the GSC episodes too.

Other than that, most of it is filler.

Asuf
April 27th, 2012, 03:53 PM
First five seasons where the best, I've seen all their episodes, Hoenn I didn't enjoy that much and Sinnoh I hated with a passion! But Black and White seems okay for now, despite his skill restarting and pretending that this is his first adventure...

Zapperz
April 27th, 2012, 11:59 PM
i love the anime series, but the only thing i hate about it is that they rarely air it in my country, and if it does, its usually in the early morning when theres school or once a week

Treble Harble
April 28th, 2012, 05:45 AM
I don't hate the anime. But I hate the Sinnoh saga. It's awful and childish especially the plot. It repeats over and over and over...and Dawn is annoying with that annoying phrase of hers: "NNTW" (No need to worry) and her Piplup is also annoying. Ash's personality is just ..ugh and Brock's girl loving obsession got old a long time ago. And Team Rocket's plot to steal Pikachu got old even longer ago. And...not to mention how long the fillers drag out for. That filler gap between the 7th and 8th gym was unbearable for me. And, finally most of the rivals (especially Zoey) urked me to no end.

So, yeah I hate the Sinnoh Saga for many reasons.

CliveKoopa
May 5th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Right, I would just like to say I am sick to death of these kind of threads and "the anime is what gives pokemon the "kiddy" image" and crap like that. I don't give a damn what you, the OP, think or what other certain people think. If you don't like the anime then keep your snotty opinions to yourself and stay away from the anime section..

LightningL
May 9th, 2012, 02:11 AM
It'd be great if it aimed for preteens/teens instead of 5 year olds, lol.

The Doctor
May 9th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I don't hate the anime. I just hate the fact that Ash is still around. It's too late for them to change it now but if they had started with a new character in Johto, Hoenn etc it would have been better, and maybe that new Hero/Heroine could have battled Ash on occasion, but he would have aged.

JessieFan92
May 9th, 2012, 07:51 AM
I don't watch it anymore. I got tired of Team Rocket trying to capture Pikachu all the time. I wish they change the main character when they go to a different region or they should have made Ash older.

ShadowStriatonTriad
May 9th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I LOVE the Pokemon Anime! (Except I HATED generation 3 and 4) Though I agree that the anime should be more directed towards Teens/Young Adults. u.u They should also use better opening/ending themes. u.u

CliveKoopa
May 9th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I would like to see more movie-style plots in the anime like they do in all the movies, which are much darker and deeper than most main series storylines.

ShadowStriatonTriad
May 11th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Actually, if it's true that Dawn is reappearing, then yes, I HATE the Pokemon anime. I am done with the redundancy. It's getting old. Plus, Dawn disgusts me. Oh, the disappointment.

Forever
May 22nd, 2012, 02:36 AM
I haven't watched for many months, and I even wasn't up to date then, buuut, from what I saw, Best Wishes in English was pretty good. Skipped Sinnoh's, but that seemed quite dumb. So, no. I don't hate it but it doesn't interest me enough to waste my monthly cap on it.

Poke Fox
May 22nd, 2012, 11:03 AM
I love the anime, just wish they had skip a few episodes, or edit them too much. I seen all episodes, up to the most recent, in English. Thanks to the internet and few video websites, I can see the anime in German and in my native language, Spanish (Latin American version). I just want to see the original episodes in Japanese. I'm sure like many, that my favorite Pokémon would appear more often.

Even if the anime was ment for children and I'm an adult I still love the anime.