PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Those major, tiny omissions

Hiroshi Sotomura
January 8th, 2012, 12:49 AM
So B/W is perfect, right? Wrong!

Don't get me wrong; they're pretty awesome, but they're not perfect. Are things "missing"? Is there that tiny thing that becomes "major" to you because it's missing? It's almost been a year, so you'd have picked up on them, right?

Where are my ambient sounds? There's some, but they're all practically gone!

This follows up the discussion on the tiny features they added. If there's anything missing that kinda spoiled your experience a bit, or kept lingering in your head?

Darkrylles
January 8th, 2012, 04:20 AM
The one thing that I didn't like isn't exactly ambient, but I didn't like the mini-cliffs, or whatever you want to calll them. They looked plain bad. But the normal cliffs looked good though.

Zapperz
January 8th, 2012, 04:26 AM
to me its the graphics sprites of the pokes. theyre as if lacking of colours to me, abit plain and monocoloured imo. idk but i like it with more colours and shades

Cassino
January 8th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Well I can finally trade online (ie. trade at all), and now Porygon can't be bought anywhere.
I can bring it from earlier versions, so I'm not too bothered, but it's mighty inconvenient.

Also, Jolteon has no tail in its back-sprite, while it apparently should have a very short one and can even use Iron Tail.

sanshroo
January 9th, 2012, 12:50 AM
No L=A.

I loved playing one handed, saved me tons of time while snacking, looking something up, etc. Now I've got to stop playing every time I want to do something. Furthermore, my right thumb always gets tired quickly, so the L=A thing was supper important.

PlatinumDude
January 9th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I didn't like that some of the older Pokemon reused sprites from past Gen IV games, like the Chimchar line. I would've liked it if all 493 Pokemon before the Unova ones got totally new sprites, not just a select few of them.

Blade_of_darkness
January 9th, 2012, 07:44 PM
The issue with not being able to have level 100 full battles on wi-fi without actually getting your Pokémon to 100. If you want one of those at the current generation, you'll have to resort to PO, which I don't have.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
January 10th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Vs. Seeker. Why omit the single greatest innovation to the franchise since Miror B.'s afro? Combined with the Exp system change, it made leveling up exceedingly tedious, something not even Audino and a free Lucky Egg could compensate for.

And honestly, it wasn't just that omission alone, but a combination of it and a few other details (horrid menu, horrid protagonist design, and the aforementioned horrid Exp system) that led me to sell back my copy of White to GameStop.

Ephemeral Euphoria
January 10th, 2012, 05:22 AM
No VS Seeker made Xulek very sad. That and the mini game you had to do to transfer Pokes from 4th gen games to the current ones was infuriating to say the very least.

vaporeon7
January 10th, 2012, 06:49 AM
The removal of the 'forever run' button is one of the things that annoyed me. It was really convenient in HG/SS to not have to hold down B.

Hydro Pumper
January 10th, 2012, 08:38 PM
As PlatinumDude said, the fact that the Pokemon from Generation I-IV didn't receive new sprites was disappointing in my opinion. I too would have preferred new sprite poses. To be honest, I'd prefer new sprite poses than the recycled animated sprites we have for some Pokemon.

I agree with what others have said about the lack of a V.S. Seeker. In D/P/P the key item came in handy many times for me, particularly when it came to level grinding. Hopefully it comes back. D:

The Pal Park too. I much preferred using the Pal Park than playing that new mini-game.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
January 11th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I didn't like that some of the older Pokemon reused sprites from past Gen IV games, like the Chimchar line. I would've liked it if all 493 Pokemon before the Unova ones got totally new sprites, not just a select few of them.

I agree with this, the fact they recycled really annoyed me.

Another thing that annoyed me was they could of created more gender differences within the fifth generation of Pokemon.

:t354:TG

Yoshikko
January 11th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Not so much that it affected gameplay but at some point I kind of missed the VS seeker, or just rematches with trainers in general. Yeah now that I'm thinking this over again I actually realize that I like B/W the least of all.

miltankRancher
January 12th, 2012, 11:54 PM
VS Seeker had been always a nice feature of the games during the past generations. however, its removal, and the addition of the more complex EXP gaining system, really made it hard for trainers to train more and such. yes, the lucky egg and proper use of the new exp system is great, but not that great, as soon you will be resorting to wild Pokemons for battle.

Hikamaru
January 13th, 2012, 12:04 AM
VS Seeker had been always a nice feature of the games during the past generations. however, its removal, and the addition of the more complex EXP gaining system, really made it hard for trainers to train more and such. yes, the lucky egg and proper use of the new exp system is great, but not that great, as soon you will be resorting to wild Pokemons for battle.

At least you have Audinos to fight in shaking grass and Lucky Eggs are now easier to get (after beating the game, on Route 13 there is a man who gives you a held item every day and Lucky Egg is one of them. I have two Lucky Eggs in my Black).

Yeah, the revamped EXP gain system did trouble some of my stronger Pokemon, my main battlers are currently in their 80's.

I might eventually dump some of my main battlers in the PC once they get to Lv100 (I'm keeping Samurott cos he's my starter and either my Gothitelle or Chandelure depending on what Pokemon I want to focus my training on).

MegaKuriboh
January 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM
A lot of things that they added in HGSS that got removed annoyed me.
Auto running shoes was great, I didn't have to break my B button, I REALLY miss following Pokemon, that was great (Well, I guess maybe they wanted it to be special for HGSS but still)
The removal of the Vs.Seeker, and I'll think of more later :]

Forever
January 13th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Another thing that annoyed me was they could of created more gender differences within the fifth generation of Pokemon.

I think it's fine imo, considering how we have Jellicent and Frillish which actually DO show the gender differences, as well as Unfezant etc, which is something that hasn't occurred that much in older games (or not really major differences).

Hikamaru
January 13th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I think it's fine imo, considering how we have Jellicent and Frillish which actually DO show the gender differences, as well as Unfezant etc, which is something that hasn't occurred that much in older games (or not really major differences).

I actually like the obvious gender differences with Frillish, Jellicent and Unfezant.

My Unfezant is female, so is my Jellicent and they both have a nature that raises Special Attack.

For Frillish, I like the female (pink) ones cos they're cuter than the male (blue) Frillish.

scprepschool
January 14th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I had a problem with not beimg able to change the frame of the dialogue box, I understand everyone had the little arrows like comic book strips but I wish it would of been the same as the old school.
I love black and white, ive beat black twice, and last night I traded all my legends and really rare stuff to my black from my white and going to restart it later today for the 4th time. I havent replayed like this since yellow came out, I was likr 8 or so. Sooo, dont get me wrong, o think the games are great, nut one thing I have been hoping for since d/p/p is more in depth personalization, if not a create a character let us atleast have a choice in wardrobe, amd haircuts or something, some of the most fun I jave after the maim story os personalizing different teams through nature, ev, and move set, why cant we personalize the protaganist yet

Flamboyant
January 14th, 2012, 11:23 AM
why cant we personalize the protaganist yet

I would most certainly like that.

One thing I was really sad about B/W was that there was no more pokemon following my trainer. The fact, also, that no previous pokemons were obtainable until the end of the game. (I understand the reason, the fact that Unova is afar from the previous regions, but still, it bugged me). The removal of the "constant-running" button was also a letdown.

Oshakpop
January 15th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I definately think the how most of the sprites were the same as previous games.. rather than completely new sprites for the 493 previous pokemon.

shenanigans
January 15th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Surprised that no-one mentioned the Safari Zone. Maybe I was the only one that liked that place, idk, but it was a pretty cool alternative way to catch Pokémon for me. Just seems kinda lazy to not have included it.

Forever
January 16th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Surprised that no-one mentioned the Safari Zone. Maybe I was the only one that liked that place, idk, but it was a pretty cool alternative way to catch Pokémon for me. Just seems kinda lazy to not have included it.

I kinda think of it as a just decision because of the Dream World really - who needs the Safari Zone where the chances of catching Pokemon are almost impossible w/ chance based while you've got something where it's entirely chance based but there's a 99% chance you can get the Pokemon you encounter. Works out better imo.

Keyaki
January 17th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Vs Seeker, of course.

The small stuff like, no footstep sounds when you walk/run or through the grass. No more sounds of the water rushing when you're near it. Bring back the following Pokemon!

The C-Gear us basically useless save for the Global Link and Dream World, but I barely use it.

But for the sprites...Its not like its easy to make sprites for Pokemon, let alone the frames for them, but now they have to make them move? It can't be that easy to do that for over 600! So I can see why they didn't make new sprites for all of them.

phonastik
January 17th, 2012, 10:38 PM
But for the sprites...Its not like its easy to make sprites for Pokemon, let alone the frames for them, but now they have to make them move? It can't be that easy to do that for over 600! So I can see why they didn't make new sprites for all of them.

I agree. I know this thread is about tiny omissions, but I don't really mind about the sprites. They've recycled sprites often (need I remind you of Yellow/Gold Exeggutor?).

Still, I really miss the Vs. Seeker, and its omission means that there is now no way to rebattle other Trainers, except the ones in Nimbasa City and Black City. Also, L=A. Even though it became more difficult to play one-handed after Gen III, with the 'registered item' button on the other side, it was still convenient.

Axiom
January 18th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I miss the following Pokemon feature... I used to love tearing around Johto with an Arbok at my back, and I wish I could do it with Serperior. *Looks out of window. Tear comes from left eye.*

Trainer Evan
January 18th, 2012, 03:57 PM
1. No VS Seeker
2. Pokemon do not follow you
3. Worse User Interface(Sorry, I do not need to see my online options every second of everyday, I'd rather have ****ing hotkeys there, like HG/SS perfected.)
4. Connecting to the internet induces rage.
5. Lower resolution sprites due to moving despite the DS having the capabilities to do much better than that. I'll take my Gen 4 sprites, thank you. Look much better.
6. Dowsing Machine not good for Shiny's.
7. Story focuses too much on N, not you, like the other games.
8. Pokewalker is useless(Say what you want, it had uses.)
9. Story ends too soon with not a lot to do afterwards other than hunt for the sages.
10. Not as much ambient sounds.
11. The battle screen is worse than Gen 4. It used to be that the plot of land each pokemon stood on matched the environment, now they're just colored blobs. The only improvement is that you can see weather effects on the battle menu.
12. While the idea of battling on a subway is cooler, the Battle Frontier was a lot more awesome in terms of atmosphere and what kind of battles you could do.

Spycicle
January 18th, 2012, 05:48 PM
The fact that mostly everything from Gen llll and back is unobtainable apart from migrating and Dream World.
Game Freak, Y U NO LET US SAVE MONEY

Forever
January 19th, 2012, 12:25 AM
The fact that mostly everything from Gen llll and back is unobtainable apart from migrating and Dream World.
Game Freak, Y U NO LET US SAVE MONEY

OH right, migrating is also kinda hard considering it won't let you do what Generation 4 did in that it allowed you to put R/S/LG/FR/etc at the bottom of your DS and actually migrate, while now we can't even do that. :(

AND not being able to trade items forward kinda sucks too (well as implied I only have one DS so I couldn't do it anyway BUT STILL) since all the Masterballs people have collected over the years... gone to waste!

Also @ Trainer Evan: The story focusing on N is good though, because you become apart of it and become the "other hero" of Unova.

Keyaki
January 19th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Well...you can't really expect them to make migrating easy this time around. Gen IV and V are one the same system. Back then in the beginning of Gen IV the DSi wasn't even out meaning the the original DS and the DS Lite still had the GBA cartridge slot so Nintendo just took advantage of that. Its not like the DSi or 3DS has 2 DS Card slots so you can't really expect migrating Pokemon this time around to be as easy.

Forever
January 19th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Well...you can't really expect them to make migrating easy this time around. Gen IV and V are one the same system. Back then in the beginning of Gen IV the DSi wasn't even out meaning the the original DS and the DS Lite still had the GBA cartridge slot so Nintendo just took advantage of that. Its not like the DSi or 3DS has 2 DS Card slots so you can't really expect migrating Pokemon this time around to be as easy.

There's still a great portion of fans who haven't yet upgraded, so the option for doing that for those with the older DS' could've still been considered, while everyone on the other systems migrated the newer way. I don't think that would've taken that much extra effort to have both options available depending on what DS the games are played on.

Keyaki
January 19th, 2012, 11:59 AM
There's still a great portion of fans who haven't yet upgraded, so the option for doing that for those with the older DS' could've still been considered, while everyone on the other systems migrated the newer way. I don't think that would've taken that much extra effort to have both options available depending on what DS the games are played on.

Yea, but Nintendo isn't really one to cater to both sides of the spectrum. Besides its not migration itself that's the issue, its how. Even for those who haven't upgraded, like me. It wouldn't matter. In order to migrate the old way, there'd have to be away to utilize both DS cards in one DS. And that's not possible.