PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] [Archeops] vs Carracosta

Forever
January 8th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Back to one vs one.
Which fossil Pokemon do you choose?
You're also free to debate your choice - in fact, it's encouraged! Try and convince other users that your choice REALLY is the best.
http://i.imgur.com/7wWRi.png

As a note, any thread with the [B/W Weekly Poll] prefix now does not count towards the revival rule, so you can revive anything with this prefix, whether it is a sticky or not, as long as there isn't already an active discussion on it.

Azure
January 8th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Archeops, I love birds and IMO he's much stronger offensive wise anyhow. Carracosta obviously being defensive. Also just realised Carracosta has a base stat total of 495, Archeops has a base stat total of 567, if you ask me that's quite ridiculous.. it should at least be equal/even.

Kenshin5
January 8th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I love Carracosta, it kind of reminds me of a Blastoise to an extent. I used it on my first run and have loved it every since. And I am not to worried about Carracosta being primarily defensive when he has 108 BS Attack, and Shell Smash to boot.

Yoshikkko
January 8th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I love Tirtouga but Carracosta is just meh. Archeops is actually one of the few bird Pokémon that I really like.

Hikamaru
January 8th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Archeops, cos I actually use one on my main team. Mine has Rock Slide, Fly, Earthquake and Acrobatics in his arsenal.

Carracosta is nice but for me, Archeops wins the battle of the Fossils.

johnny18
January 8th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I love Carracosta. I always love turtle <3. TBH, I do not see anything special in Archeops

deoxys121
January 8th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Turtle Pokemon ftw!!! Carracosta is an excellent Pokemon. I used it in the Painfully Slow Challenge. Also used it in an emulator B/W playthrough. It may have low speed, but it has very high defense. Also, the low speed can be made up for by Aqua Jet and/or Shell Smash. Oh, yeah, Shell Smash, that's another reason why Carracosta rules. It has access to Shell Smash.

gvgisdi
January 8th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Archeops! It resembles Aerodactyl, which is one of my favourite Pokémon. And he looks much better than Carracosta.

Cassino
January 8th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Archeops; I just like early birds and such, yet it's also very powerful...
I have one with Acrobatics, Crunch, AncientPower and Endeavor. Endeavor works well against its negative ability. I could use Rock Slide instead of AncientPower, but I don't want to see that also good sp atk stat go to waste.

Carracosta is... ugly; and I already prefer Relicanth for a defensive rock-water type.

shinysweety
January 8th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Archeops, cause when i found out about it, i was like OMG I should have gotten Archeops and not the turtle guy! So yeah.... u get it. xD

이큐리
January 8th, 2012, 06:52 PM
First time I've used all the Pokemon in the poll in battle. xD I love them both, but I voted for Archeops. It was a lot more helpful during in-game battles. The anime also played a big part in me choosing Archen. <3

echolocated
January 8th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Carracosta, since he doesn't have a sucky ability, and because I chose his fossil in the ruins since I had no idea what was inside of them :P

Silhouette
January 8th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Carracosta all the way. Reminds me of my first Pokemon, Squirtle... And it just looks awesome.

I've even managed to sweep teams by setting up a substitute, baton passing it to Carra, then Shell Smash-spamming. Pure. Adrenaline.

PlatinumDude
January 8th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I like Archeops better than Carracosta because even after seeing its crippling ability, its raw power and Speed are what drew me to it, up to the point when I used it in my Black team.

Atomic Pirate
January 9th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Nothing excuses the fact that Archeops is a Defeatist. I have used both, and Carracosta is clearly stronger.

Oryx
January 9th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Why is Archeops winning this is a travesty

Carracosta is obviously the best. Archeops has ugly clashing colors and looks like he's ragged and doesn't take care of himself. Meanwhile, Carracosta shows how few ***** he gives with his badass expression. He looks sturdy and dependable with Shell Smash to get him into a more fighting mood if he wants to go all-out. And Archeops is lazy! Look at its ability!!

Vote Carracosta 2012

OrdealByFire
January 9th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Carracosta. Archeops looks like he should be on a cereal box...

Halcyon
January 9th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Originally, I planned to have Archeops in my team if not for its ability. However, I'm still going to go with Archeops due to its amazing stats and is one of the amazing HM02 Fly users this generation.

Ephemeral Euphoria
January 9th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I really like both but if I had to pick one it would probably have to be Carracosta, has a diverse move pool with Shell Smash to back it up not to mention it takes hits like a tank lol.

Kaori
January 10th, 2012, 03:27 AM
I love Tirtouga but Carracosta is just meh. Archeops is actually one of the few bird Pokémon that I really like.
MEH? Now although Archeops has greater stats, there's a lot more reasons to like Carracosta in all of this. ;)

Both Pokémon have a cool design and decent stats/movepool, but Carracosta definitely wins my vote here and for one main reason that tops all. IT'S SIMPLY A TURTLE. Now I don't know about you guys but turtles are amazing! Carracosta just appeals to me more anyway, and they gave him a really nice blue design. Who doesn't love a nice gray color mixed with blue? He's got a simplistic look and although Carracosta looks really bulky compared to his pre-evolution I like it! n_n

& If you haven't seen its shiny sprite, well you're just missing out because it is hawt.

miakalina
January 10th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Archeops is the obvious winner. :P
Its great in battle and in the anime archen is super cute. :D

Ashley182
January 10th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Archeops is the only bird pokemon I like in unova so it appeals to me greatly, especially because it has great stats and movepools aswell.

Although Carracosta's shiny sprite is pretty damn hawt!
Sex in a shell (http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/565.shtml)<3

MissDigitalis
January 10th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Archeops is one of my new favorites!

Typhlosion12
January 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM
If there was a dream world ability for Archeops, then sure I would love using it. But it's just so useless with that ability. It just quits basically, I prefer a pokemon that doesn't lower it's stats just because the end is neigh, because the end might be even worse for it. It just gives up instead of putting up a fight.

I don't have a Carracosta on my copy of White, I didn't know about Archeops ability when I chose it.

Side note: I gave my friend a adamant murkrow with fly already on it, he got rid of his Archeops right away because of it's ability and his favorite pokemon is honchkrow anyway.

curiousnathan
January 10th, 2012, 10:43 PM
@TOUJOURS For me personally, I find Archeops much more appealing since I love its colour scheme. The many contrasting colours really attracts my attention unlike Carracosta in which sticks with 3 colours; two blues and white which is boring imo; it hardly sarks any interest and simply doesn't stand out. Plus the shaggyness is the whole 'theme' I think the desginer were going for. It is a bird after all and it has been sleeping for so long of course its gonna have some some bad bed head. At least archeops has hair/feathers. XDDD;

td;lr vote Archeops!

Oryx
January 10th, 2012, 11:50 PM
@TOUJOURS For me personally, I find Archeops much more appealing since I love its colour scheme. The many contrasting colours really attracts my attention unlike Carracosta in which sticks with 3 colours; two blues and white which is boring imo; it hardly sarks any interest and simply doesn't stand out. Plus the shaggyness is the whole 'theme' I think the desginer were going for. It is a bird after all and it has been sleeping for so long of course its gonna have some some bad bed head. At least archeops has hair/feathers. XDDD;

td;lr vote Archeops!

Colors: Carracosta is classic. Archeops is like...they gave the lineart to a kid and let the kid color it in, covered in tons of primary colors with little to no thought about why that particular part is colored that way, etc. It's similar to Druddigon in that regard - very brightly colored with colors that don't match for no apparent reason. :P Wouldn't it have survived better in the past if it had a green or brown color scheme, like much of nature? Maybe that's why it's a fossil, lmao. Carracosta, on the other hand, matches its surroundings well. It probably didn't have much trouble with camouflage in the water, making it the superior hunter.

But the bird itself wasn't sleeping, it was just a fossil! Basically I think what they're doing in these is taking the DNA from the fossil and then putting it in an egg and hatching it. Therefore, it has no excuse to have Poke-bedhead because it was born in this age, not like they had it sleeping in a rock and just bashed it open or something.

Archeops runs as fast as a car...Carracosta eats cars. I think we know who's the winner here. ;)

miltankRancher
January 11th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Not really a fan of the two (never used either in a game) but I heard Archeops packs quite a punch, unlike Carracosta whose only thing to boast is its defensiveness (sorry Carracosta fans). And I had much trouble with N's Archeops. With this, my votes go to the ancient bird.

Kaori
January 11th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Carracosta has much more to boast about! It has more variety in abilities that are actually useful whilst Archeops just has one that isn't, and actually quite sucks. It has great Attack and SpA but to have that be halved when below 50% HP? Sad.

Plus in a battle between the two, if you were to have Archeops use a super effective move against Carracosta with the Solid Rock ability, it would be reduced by 25%. Tell me that's not amazing! And even if you went with Sturdy instead, Archeops wouldn't be able to KO Carracosta the first turn and afterward you can use a STAB physical water type move or rock and you're in a winning situation!

VOTE CARRACOSTA FTW.

hikari_F
January 11th, 2012, 05:32 AM
definitely archeops,because it has better stats and nice movepool, archeops is one of my sweeper, when it's Hp is lower by half,you can quickly switch it with U-turn.it's quite useful
my archeops moves are acrobatics,U-turn,rock slide and fly

Kotowari
January 11th, 2012, 05:48 AM
My vote goes to Carracosta. :'D I just love it. I recieved Archeops on the BW Pokédex 3D two days ago, and something in it's design just doesn't work for me. |D The original Archeopteryx fossil on the other hand is a pure work of art. :'3 I'm also not that much of a fan of the Ground-up theory, the tree-down one makes more sense to me, somehow. |D;;; Even if Ground-up is the generally accepted theory of how birds started to fly. *ahum*

Yes, once Tirtouga/Carracosta gains some levels it's unstoppable. :'D I thank Ancient Power to take out the Emolga in Nimbasa. With Water, Rock, Ground and Ice (through TM) moves, this Pokémon is bound to take on a wide range of opponents. \o/

Mentalii
January 11th, 2012, 06:06 AM
=> Carracosta is kinda strange... Too bulky. Too slow. That annoys me. :pink_blankstare: And an ancient and worse version of the badass Blastoise, no thanks. I could do without it.

=> Then, we have Archeops. Hmmm... I'm gonna say that it's a little better than the first one. But I confess, the first time I saw it, I laughed a little bit, this is an odd Pokémon. But now I begin to appreciate it, even if it's a multicolour bird with a snake head ill-matched with the rest of its body :pink_love: (well well we can't judge prehistoric fashion I guess). It's also pretty tough !

So, my vote for the sparrow !

Forever
January 11th, 2012, 06:39 AM
GUYS YOU NEED TO VOTE FOR CARRACOSTA. KAORI AND I KNOW EVERYTHING SO AGREE WITH US.

...either way, for Carracosta, having access to Shell Smash, good defences in general further boosted by its great ability, and the fact that it has good attack in general too AND the fact that with Swift Swim its speed is suddenly increased! Idk, I see more positives than negatives with this awesome turtle.

As for Archeops, yeah it has flaws battling-wise, but really, if you put a Choice Band on it - and with Wish support it could do pretty good imo. Competitively you COULD mark it work, but it would need a lot of support in order to be any good - actually, even a choice Scarf with maxed attack EVs would do pretty good, imo, since you'd outspeed the opponent, not letting them damage you. BUT Archeops has more weaknesses than Carracosta. :( A flaw is you'd also be Scizor-weak. Actually, Ice Shard weak, too, so kinda weak to priority. :x As well as that, you've also got the fact that it doesn't have many flying STABs that ARE strong. On the plus side it has Stone Edge, but imo, it's pretty much outclassed by Aerodactyl since Aerodactyl doesn't lose power mid-HP, and while it is lower than Archeops' overall base attack, it's actually higher when Archeops power drops without either having a Choice Band - plus faster speed. As a flying fossil type, Archeops is just no good.

Mr Cat Dog
January 11th, 2012, 10:46 AM
It's a sub-par Aerodactyl... but damn if Archeops isn't kinda awesome and powerful and other such stuff. Sorry Nica/Kaori, my vote's going to Archy!

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
January 11th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I never liked any of them but ever since seeing the episode with Archeops, I've started to like this fossil and came to the realization that Archeops design is cool. So I go with the bird fossil.

:t354:TG

Antebellum
January 11th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I voted Carracosta; it's design and typing are better than Archeops's.

Sector
January 12th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Carracosta. I don't like the ability Defeatist at all, and if there was a such DW Archeops to learn a different ability, I'd choose Archeops then. Otherwise, I'm sticking with Carracosta for this poll

Kaori
January 12th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Yes yes yes! C'mon Carracosta lovers, we must dominate this poll! We cannot let Archeops win, it's not right!

Carracosta is simply amazing, we must fight for its deserving right to win. n_n

Forever
January 12th, 2012, 02:46 AM
There's still 11 votes difference and we have just a few days left, I don't think chances are looking that great for Carracosta. :( Archeops should be banned from generation 5 imo because it doesn't deserve to be in such an amazing generation.

Mentalii
January 12th, 2012, 08:13 AM
:( Archeops should be banned from generation 5 imo because it doesn't deserve to be in such an amazing generation.

Wow are you serious, Gen V an amazing generation? Oo
That's fun you say that because I was just thinking that Archeops was one of the least bad gen V Pokémon x)

Binary
January 12th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Archeops because it's awesome and stuff, y'know?
I'm not taking into account competitive battling mechanics and yadayada. Both of them are are awesome, but if I had to choose, it would be Atcheops. Sorry. I love Carracosta too though. ;__;

Azure
January 12th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I still think carracosta should have a little higher defence/sp. def in comparison to Archeops' stats.

Kaori
January 12th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Also imagine Carracosta battling with Trick Room set up! Now that's some magic right there. Archeops would fail so hard in this set up.

Plus I think the majority of votes that go towards Archeops are because of its "amazing" stats. It's too bad its ability ruins that, and it doesn't have much coverage at all to be honest. Such a shame!

CARRACOSTA OKAY

Major Ziggs
January 12th, 2012, 02:38 PM
My vote goes for Archeops. It's a pleasure to use in battle and has some very interesting set ups to use, plus it looks amazing! Although no disrespect to Carracosta, that thing can be a beast too with the proper set up! Especially with its incredibly useful ability. But for me, Archeops' whole style wins me over every time. :3

Archer
January 12th, 2012, 02:39 PM
GUYS YOU NEED TO VOTE FOR CARRACOSTA. KAORI AND I KNOW EVERYTHING SO AGREE WITH US.

I PREFER ARCHEOPS TO CARRACOSTA. Does that make me... shellfish? http://tiny.cc/hcsi

Seriously, though, it's the spiritual successor to Aerodactyl. Except that it has a better movepool. The ability is a major bummer, but for in-game sweepers rarely take a hit, anyway.

Lance
January 12th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I like both, I really do. But Carracosta gets my vote because I used it first when I originally bought White.

Azure
January 12th, 2012, 03:23 PM
This is a very interesting poll, mixed votes and pros and cons to both Pokémon equally tbh.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
January 12th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I like carracosta better. He looks like a turtlle! :D

2Cool4Mewtwo
January 12th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Carracosta... I like both pokemon fairly equally for various reasons, but Archeops' defeatist doesn't help its cause.

Forever
January 12th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I PREFER ARCHEOPS TO CARRACOSTA. Does that make me... shellfish? http://tiny.cc/hcsi

Seriously, though, it's the spiritual successor to Aerodactyl. Except that it has a better movepool. The ability is a major bummer, but for in-game sweepers rarely take a hit, anyway.

It's okay, you'll realise your mistake someday!! :33

Wow are you serious, Gen V an amazing generation? Oo
That's fun you say that because I was just thinking that Archeops was one of the least bad gen V Pokémon x)

Best ever tbh.

How strange, as soon as I saw Archeops I was like "okay this is weird" -- admittedly Archen looked kinda nice but Archeops was one that I judged this generation negatively by. :(

(And yet Carracosta positive).

curiousnathan
January 12th, 2012, 05:34 PM
(http://media.photobucket.com/image/screaming%20gif/dethklok1989/My%20Created%20Animated%20GIF%20Images/Luffy-Yelling.gif?o=12)
http://th618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/dethklok1989/My%20Created%20Animated%20GIF%20Images/th_Luffy-Yelling.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/image/screaming%20gif/dethklok1989/My%20Created%20Animated%20GIF%20Images/Luffy-Yelling.gif?o=12)

Archeops, seriously, it's beautiful. And Toujours, seriously who wants a car-eater as a pet, talk about unhealthy habbits!

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
January 12th, 2012, 09:31 PM

...either way, for Carracosta, having access to Shell Smash, good defences in general further boosted by its great ability, and the fact that it has good attack in general too AND the fact that with Swift Swim its speed is suddenly increased! Idk, I see more positives than negatives with this awesome turtle.

As for Archeops, yeah it has flaws battling-wise, but really, if you put a Choice Band on it - and with Wish support it could do pretty good imo. Competitively you COULD mark it work, but it would need a lot of support in order to be any good - actually, even a choice Scarf with maxed attack EVs would do pretty good, imo, since you'd outspeed the opponent, not letting them damage you. BUT Archeops has more weaknesses than Carracosta. :( A flaw is you'd also be Scizor-weak. Actually, Ice Shard weak, too, so kinda weak to priority. :x As well as that, you've also got the fact that it doesn't have many flying STABs that ARE strong. On the plus side it has Stone Edge, but imo, it's pretty much outclassed by Aerodactyl since Aerodactyl doesn't lose power mid-HP, and while it is lower than Archeops' overall base attack, it's actually higher when Archeops power drops without either having a Choice Band - plus faster speed. As a flying fossil type, Archeops is just no good.

Carracosta has much more to boast about! It has more variety in abilities that are actually useful whilst Archeops just has one that isn't, and actually quite sucks. It has great Attack and SpA but to have that be halved when below 50% HP? Sad.

Plus in a battle between the two, if you were to have Archeops use a super effective move against Carracosta with the Solid Rock ability, it would be reduced by 25%. Tell me that's not amazing! And even if you went with Sturdy instead, Archeops wouldn't be able to KO Carracosta the first turn and afterward you can use a STAB physical water type move or rock and you're in a winning situation!

VOTE CARRACOSTA FTW.

Yeah! What you guys said! Your mods so i must trust you! lol

CARRACOSTA FTW!

Seki
January 12th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Colour wise, its Carracosta who wins. Design wise, its Archeops, but I prefer Archen more than Archeops cos Archen is cute :D. I don't know, but I like turtles more than I like some prehistoric dinosaur flying bird.

So my vote goes to Carracosta.

vaporeon7
January 13th, 2012, 02:22 AM
I do like both of these Pokémon but I prefer Carracosta. I prefer its appearance, its colour palette, its typing, its abilities and its name. It was also more useful in my Hall of Fame Challenge because of its ability to survive at least one hit with Sturdy, whereas Archeops was doomed if it lost half of its health.

-Daniel-
January 14th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Archeops->Beast....
Carracosta reminds me of teenage ninja mutant turtle.

Azure
January 14th, 2012, 03:47 AM
Looks like Archeops is going far ahead, although more people are starting to vote for Carracosta..

Forever
January 14th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Nah it's been around 11 for a while, sadly. We've pretty much lost it (Carracosta fans). :(

Hikamaru
January 14th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Nah it's been around 11 for a while, sadly. We've pretty much lost it (Carracosta fans). :(

Yes, Nica. Archeops for the win!

I actually use an Archeops so I'm pleased it's winning the poll!

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/9f/567Archeops_Dream.png

Archeops, I know your ability is dumb but your speed and attack power showed me that anything can bring out any Pokemon's full potential no matter what abilities they have.

Dark Piplup
January 15th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Yeah I prefer Archeops mostly for his design. But carracosta's pre evolved form is real cute and I like it. I mostly prefer attack versus defense anyway.

Forever
January 15th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Aaand with about three hours left, we can all be disappointed because it seems Carracosta has lost, but only just! :(

Unstickying and next poll will be made later on today. Feel free to continue discussion in this thread for as long as you want!!

Hikamaru
January 15th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Aaand with about three hours left, we can all be disappointed because it seems Carracosta has lost, but only just! :(

Unstickying and next poll will be made later on today. Feel free to continue discussion in this thread for as long as you want!!

I wonder what the next poll will focus on...

Yes Nica, Archeops is 10x more awesome than Carracosta cos of it's mighty attacking power and I managed to use one in Black despite my hatred towards its ability. I managed to raise mine to Level 83, he's male with Quirky nature.

Forever
January 15th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Oh wow the vote difference caught up o_O WE HAVE LIKE A HALF AN HOUR, MAYBE CARRACOSTA CAN WIN IT loldoubtit.

Also this is like the most voted in poll, I think. Wow!

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
January 15th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Omg no wonder archeopsis a fossil, it blends in really well with it's surroundings! :rolleyes:

WishCookie
January 16th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I dont know what to choose, but i will go with Archeops cause thats one of the few bird pokemon i really like it even if it got like five weaknesses but its really fast and he gets almost always the first attack.

Arago
January 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM
Carracosta is the most useless fossil Pokémon ever. I learned that the hard way. u____u