PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] The Professor is a female! Gasp.

Forever
January 8th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Over a year ago we found out that the Professor of Unova would be a female, rather than a male, which traditionally occurred in all other mainstream Pokemon games. So how do you feel about this?

- Did you welcome the change to a female Professor with open arms?
- Do you think she was a "good" Professor?
- Do you think she had more personality than the other Professors?
- Do you like that her father was also brought into the story and actually plays "somewhat" of a part post-game in checking your Pokedex?
- Why do you think they chose to have a female Professor?

Discuss these points and more! :)

Ash's Infernape
January 8th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I liked that they were making a female character, Because male ones started getting boring with Rowan. Her personalty is quite great, combing Professors/Friendly ones. Her dad was again just like Oak, Obvious to his surroundings. His plot in Dragonspiral Tower was very badly written. A Female professor brought a fresh change in the game, and I like how she appeared more in the game. She appeared in 4-5 places. Other male professors will only contact or do something, nearly always in their labs/stalking new trainers.

Forever
January 8th, 2012, 11:29 PM
I liked that they were making a female character, Because male ones started getting boring with Rowan. Her personalty is quite great, combing Professors/Friendly ones. Her dad was again just like Oak, Obvious to his surroundings. His plot in Dragonspiral Tower was very badly written. A Female professor brought a fresh change in the game, and I like how she appeared more in the game. She appeared in 4-5 places. Other male professors will only contact or do something, nearly always in their labs/stalking new trainers.

On the note about her father, why do you think that plot was badly written? How do you think it could be improved?

But yeah, you're right about Juniper, she actually made an effort to see you, like with the Lucky Egg, the other Professors wouldn't really track you down like that to give you a gift. :x

Oryx
January 8th, 2012, 11:31 PM
I liked her but I was kind of disappointed with her father being in the game at all, tbh. I mean, we finally have an important female professor but it felt kind of like the professor wasn't strong enough to stand on her own as interesting, so we had to have yet another old, wise male professor come in to fill in for her, lol. I would have been happier if she had had a son or a sister or her mom or something that didn't give me the impression that she needed an Oak figure to be interesting.

Her XTransceiver art is pretty cute though if you ask me.
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/f7/Juniper_Xtransceiver.png
Although she could have been designed a bit more...classicly, I guess is the word for it. She kind of reminds me of a soccer mom that wants to be "hip", so she wears sneakers and skirts that are so obviously not the style but you can tell she's trying really hard, haha.

Ash's Infernape
January 8th, 2012, 11:35 PM
On the note about her father, why do you think that plot was badly written? How do you think it could be improved?

But yeah, you're right about Juniper, she actually made an effort to see you, like with the Lucky Egg, the other Professors wouldn't really track you down like that to give you a gift. :x

See, If he actually did something (They would have only made another xTranciever art) like, call us to inform us of the situation. He just stood there until the player comes and then we tells, does something and goes off. They should have replaced his part in Dragonspiral Tower with Alder/Gym Leaders.

Forever
January 8th, 2012, 11:44 PM
I liked her but I was kind of disappointed with her father being in the game at all, tbh. I mean, we finally have an important female professor but it felt kind of like the professor wasn't strong enough to stand on her own as interesting, so we had to have yet another old, wise male professor come in to fill in for her, lol. I would have been happier if she had had a son or a sister or her mom or something that didn't give me the impression that she needed an Oak figure to be interesting.

Her XTransceiver art is pretty cute though if you ask me.
Although she could have been designed a bit more...classicly, I guess is the word for it. She kind of reminds me of a soccer mom that wants to be "hip", so she wears sneakers and skirts that are so obviously not the style but you can tell she's trying really hard, haha.

! Wonderful point, young Toujours. Yeaaah... that does kind of take away from the whole excitement of her being a female, but oh God, I can't imagine her with a son or a daughter, she really seems like someone not to have children, but rather be a role model. I agree with the mother though, just randomly sticking a father there and no mother kinda doesn't make sense for her, because it would really fill in a backstory of "why did she become a Professor".

See, If we actually did something (They would have only made another xTranciever art) like, call us to inform us of the situation. He just stood there until the player comes and then we tells, does something and goes off. They should have replaced his part in Dragonspiral Tower with Alder/Gym Leaders.

Yeah I guess that'd have been nice, but there's kinda no point where he asks for your phone number - if he did then maybe he would at least SEEM more important.

Ash's Infernape
January 8th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Yeah I guess that'd have been nice, but there's kinda no point where he asks for your phone number - if he did then maybe he would at least SEEM more important.

That's true, and he also played a relatively short role and didn't even comment on the whole light/dark stone part starting with Lenora's Museum.

Oryx
January 8th, 2012, 11:52 PM
! Wonderful point, young Toujours. Yeaaah... that does kind of take away from the whole excitement of her being a female, but oh God, I can't imagine her with a son or a daughter, she really seems like someone not to have children, but rather be a role model. I agree with the mother though, just randomly sticking a father there and no mother kinda doesn't make sense for her, because it would really fill in a backstory of "why did she become a Professor".

What if he's there to make up for all the missing fathers of everyone else? Considering Bianca's dad had a big role and then Juniper had a dad, but throughout the games they for some reason avoid dads like the plague...

curiousnathan
January 9th, 2012, 12:02 AM

Yeah, they get their assistants to do all the work.

Cordelia
January 9th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I like that the Professor was a young female instead of an older man, actually. I find it very refreshing and it gives a new angle to an old 'profession'... yeah, I know... totally a bad pun. Having the father in there was kind of like OK? Is she not good enough? I don't know, just don't like the guy as much as his daughter.

이큐리
January 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I loved that they had a female Professor for the gen. I was getting tired of old, wrinkly men. XD

As for the story about her and her father, they should have added more back story. They sort of just threw him at us and was like "This her dad. Deal with it."

Molts
January 9th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I don't think it was her gender that made her a much better professor than previous ones. Better story telling in general, more involved characters, and such were what made every character in the game better than what we have previously seen. While her gender is new, it doesn't actually have that much influence in how good a character she was, nor should it.

PlatinumDude
January 9th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I loved that they had a female Professor for the gen. I was getting tired of old, wrinkly men. XD

As for the story about her and her father, they should have added more back story. They sort of just threw him at us and was like "This her dad. Deal with it."
If I remember correctly, an NPC states that Prof. Juniper and Cedric used to be Backpackers. But I agree, Cedric needs a bit more backstory, including how he got interested in studying Pokemon.

As for Aurea (her first name) herself, I think it's a good change to have a female main game professor for once. She does remind me of Oak for some reason.

Cassino
January 9th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Being female doesn't make any difference to her as a character, apart from how it could excuse her motherliness a little better. She only might seem a little eccentric if male, but she could easily have been the same. Her coming to the player didn't make any odds to me; I felt that Elm was about as involved, in HG/SS, despite being static. I would probably say that she's more helpful than the other professors, though — saving me having to look for a lucky egg and often indicating where I should go next (obvious as it is in Unova, but it's good of her anyway). She's also nice enough to reward the player physically for Unova Pokedex completion with TMs, and again to count seen rather than actually caught monsters.

So all in all, not a better character in herself, just a better 'professor of X region'.

adventure
January 10th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Being quite the semi-feminist that I am, I am so glad they finally made a female professor. Now we only need a female rival and then I can call pokémon decently well balanced. But there's still no male nurses or police officers. Just the good-looking girls that guys can drool over. But after all, it's mostly a guys' franchise, being a game and all, I guess.

Hm, I hate when there's too much masculinity, like when every important character in a movie is male *coughTintincough*

Kaori
January 10th, 2012, 03:42 AM
I kind of disagree here! She has her own style and it fits who she is as a professor. She doesn't speak too professional and her personality shows more than the other professors have in previous games. I'd rather a style like this for her than one that would just come off as a professor with no added style. She's lively and her clothes make her a little bit more lively as well! Plus she's no young woman so why go around sporting flip flops? :P High heels could work but the sneakers are fine in my opinion.

Hydro Pumper
January 10th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Personally, I thought it was great to finally see a female Professor. Before Black and White whenever I thought of Pokemon Professors I hadn't really considered the fact that our next Professor would be female. And hence, when I found out that we would have a female Professor it was surprising. It partly contributed to my reason for buying Black and White, since I perceived at first that perhaps there are other differences and "broken traditions" (so to say) in Black and White. Being a Pokemon fan since Generation 1, I wanted to experience these perceived "differences".

I've generally liked all the Professors and how they contribute to the storyline / plot of the games and anime, and Professor Juniper is no different. :)

Anyway, I agree with Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers's point regarding the lack of a female rival in the Pokemon games. That would be something I'd like to see implemented in the future. ;)

feralig8rx
January 10th, 2012, 10:07 PM
At first I was really skeptical about the whole thing, being as all previous gens had male professors, but I eventually realized that it would bring more diversity to the game. To me, all the additions to the games such as time, different genders/races, and seasons make the games feel almost "real" in a sense. We all know that Pokemon aren't real, but the game gives a feeling of almost an alternate reality, and that a world like this really could exist.

Ehh, yes and no. Her model looked kinda stupid at first as well, but in the long run it's not that important.

Definitely. She actually continued to talk to you throughout your adventure and actually met up with you a few times. It's nice to see a professor actually leave their Lab every once in a while, heh?

I would say so. I think the anime also played an important role in my feelings in this category, but staying game related I think she definitely brought some interesting dialogue and more to the table.

- Do you like that her father was also brought into the story and actually plays "somewhat" of a part post-game in checking your Pokedex?
Eh, not a huge fan of her dad. To me, probably because I'm also a female, I enjoyed seeing a strong willed woman in the Pokemon series (excluding the anime) as a leader. Then when I saw her dad come into the picture, I was kind of let down. Not really sure why but to me I was kind of like, wow her dad is kinda helping her with her studies? I mean I guess that's kinda cute, and different, but I don't know. Not even sure if that made sense. Lol.

I think they are really trying to add diversity to the game, which is apparent with the many changes they made with B/W. We have Iris which is a first in the series, and I'm very glad to see changes like this and hope for more in the future. Pokemon has always had a tendency to be kinda sexist, as much as I hate to say it, but with recent changes such as Cynthia and Juniper, I'm glad to see the direction the games are going in.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
January 11th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Yea, why wouldn't I, there is a reason that she became a professor. Gender means nothing.
Yeah, but she is no Professor Oak
I didn't care for her personality much....I just don't know why
Sure
Because particular females probably complained so much about not having a female professor even though there is one (Ivy) but they wanted it inside of the games.

:t354:TG

vaporeon7
January 11th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I like the idea of a female professor, all the male ones are old and boring (except Oak maybe). She was a pretty good professor, she had your Pokémon delivered, so you didn't have to go to get the Pokémon, the Pokémon came to you. She also went to the effort to come and give you items in person, rather then you go and see her, or have an aide give them to you. She had more personality than most other professors (except Oak again) mainly because you got to see more of her than the others. I don't think her dad was really needed, it kind of reinforced the stereotype of women not being able to do stuff like that alone, even though she was capable. I think they chose a female professor because they wanted a change from the standard and to give women a bigger role in the game, instead of being your mum, who stays at home for most of the game.

miltankRancher
January 12th, 2012, 10:00 PM
i like Juniper of all professors. For me, she has the most essence and personality followed by Oak. The others struck me as really mindless drones, especially Rowan.

-Did you welcome the change to a female Professor with open arms?

Oh yes, definitely.

She was second best, next to Oak for me, despite lacking a specialty field, unlike the others.

Yes. Like most girl IRL.

Mr. Juniper? I think he is really unneeded btw. I like Prof Juniper better.

maybe to eradicate the monotonousness of the professors in the past.

Overlord Drakow
January 13th, 2012, 10:08 AM

I wouldn't say open arms lol but yeah, it was a nice change.

Yeah, she was pretty good as a professor.

I think personality wise, she's similar to most of the other profs.

I don't mind.

Switch things up a bit most likely. Just a subtle change to add a bit of spice I suppose.

Azure
January 13th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I was happy when I found out this, it a new change and having a male professor for four generations can become repetitive. Overall I'd say shes my favourite professor, either her or Oak.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
January 13th, 2012, 11:44 AM
It's about time we broke the stereotypical male professor trend that had been going on for like, forever. Shame she couldn't appear in a better-executed game, but I did appreciate how she was more involved in the story than past professors. Don't know why her dad had to be brought in as he didn't really contribute that much and is the stereotypical "old man" professor.

With me, she ranks much higher than the professors that came before her. With the possible exception of Cipher Admin Ein (who was a "professor" of a different, more evil sort :P )

Shame that we couldn't have a female professor and female champion/ultimate end boss, as that would really make a dent in the "male-dominated" stigma of Pokemon games.

Hikamaru
January 13th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I think Juniper is my fave professor, probably because she gets a bigger role in the storyline and the fact she gives you a Lucky Egg in Chargestone Cave.

D/P/Pt introduced a female Champion (Cynthia) and B/W also introduced a female rival (Bianca) so we are seeing that male trend for Champions and rivals finally broken. What we need now is a female villainous team leader in 6th Gen.

I guess the reason they wanted a female professor this generation is because they wanted to change things after 4 generations of male professors.

Forever
January 13th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Because particular females probably complained so much about not having a female professor even though there is one (Ivy) but they wanted it inside of the games.

Really? I don't think many females would've personally emailed those who designed the characters. In fact, I didn't really think of it as much of a problem before - seeing it now it's like "oh yeah it's great" but in the past I never really questioned why there was only males, idk I might've been the only one, though.

It partly contributed to my reason for buying Black and White, since I perceived at first that perhaps there are other differences and "broken traditions" (so to say) in Black and White. Being a Pokemon fan since Generation 1, I wanted to experience these perceived "differences".

Ooh, wonderful! I am pleased it contributed to you buying the games. :3

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
January 14th, 2012, 12:21 AM
They changed because certain things get old, things need to be refreshed. This was a good move by Nintendo, as black and white brang lots of new people into the series, what do you think if they found out all the professors were male. Good move. Although she seemed kinds weird, she wasn't your tradition Pokemon professor, not a bad move, probably good for the newbies, but I prefer the Oak type character. It Shows Nintendo is not sexist, like male and female protagonist choice in g/s.

Ratty524
January 14th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Of course. Not only is Juniper female, but she also appears relatively young, which is a MASSIVE break-away from the professors that have appeared in the games so far.
I actually think she is one of the best, mainly because it felt like she was more involved in the story than the other regional professors. She appeared regularly throughout the game, and even told off N. I also liked how she was given some depth as far as her background and relation with her father.
Sort of. Could have been milked a bit, but for what she was she was okay. At least she's better than Rowan.
I have no opinion on it.
Probably because Game Freak realized they were becoming stale, so they threw in a professor that is actually likable to get your attention.

Mentalii
January 14th, 2012, 11:31 AM
As a feminist, obviously I was happy to see that we finally had a female professor ! \o/
That's more original than usual. Professor Rowan wasn't for example a good idea, it was just a kind of Professor Oak but totally worse. I was afraid the next professor to be boring too.
But no, it's at a young woman's turn to give you the famous Pokédex and so on.
Ok, she's a female, it's cool, we can't say the contrary. Unfortunately, I think she wasn't really... charming... I can't even criticize her personnality because I just don't know it :/ I mean, it hasn't any influence of me. Except Professor Rowan she's the professor I like the least... So yes I'm a little disappointed.
I know everybody don't care at all, but I just wanted to add that her shoes don't suit her ^^ Ok it's not important, but that gives a strange effect, her outfit could be better without that things, so why ? Why did you do that Mister the developers? :pink_no:

s2daam
January 15th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I was really not bothered, as it didn't really seem to be a huge deal to me. However, it was obviously going to happen.

However, Juniper just seems to be more kind and homely compared to the other Professors. Whether thats because she is female or not I don't know.. I suppose when they decide to make another female professor like Rowan we will know!

bobandbill
January 15th, 2012, 04:24 PM
- Why do you think they chose to have a female Professor?Eh, I didn';t really care about her gender - I'm more interesting in the professor's character when they are revealed after all. As for why...well, I guess 'because they wanted to'. There's no real other reason to have a female professor - it's up to them and was only a matter of time as well. (And if you look at other canons, she's not the first female professor either!)

As for her...she was alright, and I liked her part in telling off N (who just ignored her, pfft), but other than that she wasn't particularly memorable. At least she didn't run in fear from Zigzagoon (Birch) or not know where eggs came from (Elm).

Gothitelle.
January 15th, 2012, 04:33 PM

Yeah, I welcome any change since this is my first Pokemon game. Then when I played the others, I kinda preferred the professor to be male for my own reasons and also it's a widely male dominated field.

to be different.

femtrooper
January 17th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Honestly, I like her and like that there is a female professor in the games. It seems like it was about time really. I think I'll always like Professor Oak and Professor Birch the best though. They're just so fun!

Axiom
January 18th, 2012, 11:13 AM
She is a woman! Hear her Roar!
Opinion was dragged out.

I think they just wanted a change from what's been used before. Unova's all about a fresh start, so why not have a female professor to really nail the lid on the coffin? Plus, Pokemon's always had a very male-heavy influence. If you think about it, you couldn't play as a female until Gen. 3 and in generation One, the only female character to have a significant impact on the storyline (not as a gym leader/E4, etc.) was... Er... Mother? Or possibly Daisy. She saved me hours of confusion with that magical map of hers.

Yoshikkko
January 18th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Obviously I had to get used a little, and it's not like I liked it more than a male professor, but I did like it for a change, cause it's really very different. I thought she was real fun and like, a little bit of a scatterbrain/preoccupied but that added to her personality XD I think they just wanted something new, B/W was new and unique in so many aspects that yeah this is an obvious decision they made, and I liked it but I would like a male prof in the next one!

Forever
January 19th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Plus, Pokemon's always had a very male-heavy influence.

That's also a point. Do you think that the professor might have been added to appeal to the male audience? I know it sounds kinda weird, but adding her could've also been done to appeal to the males since why else would've they added her father too? :x

(I mean I'm pretty sure that was Elesa and Skyla's entire purpose as far as design goes).

Axiom
January 19th, 2012, 03:53 AM
I don't see how she could appeal to a male audience. I mean... Pokemon is, at its core, aimed at younger children, and younger children tend to be very "Boys are better than girls" or "Girls are better than boys" in all aspects of life. I would call it sexism but it's not really that, it's just kids conforming to their peers. And to your point about Elesa and Skyla, Unova, at least to my eyes, is a parallel of the U.S.A, and whilst I'm not trying to judge its culture, the younger women there, and indeed most western nations, are often pictured as more independent in other places- both by themselves and other countries. So Skyla and Elesa would naturally be representative of that free and independent sub-culture and at such a young age already have risen to a high rank, as have so many western women. That said, there's also Karen and Dahlia- but my first impression of both was also very western. Still, I've probably got my biases acting up again, but I don't think Nintendo would include a female character to appeal to a male audience- it's probably all for gender equality and such political correctness.

Arago
January 21st, 2012, 07:08 PM
I certainly did open the change with welcome arms! I love the fact that they finally introduced a female Professor to the games! After playing and learning more about her, I made the decision that she was one of the best professors since she actually goes places outside of her lab!!! I thinks he has more personality, more spark, and is a lot more interesting than the other Professors.