PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Is it morally wrong to hurt Audino?

Forever
January 10th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Time for one of Black and White's favourite types of threads: Audino threads. But this one is slightly different, concentrating on whether it's wrong or right to hurt Audino.

Audino, the friendly pink creature of Black and White is always willing to help out a trainer. But! More often than not, the tables are turned on this adorable little creature; when you attack it, it uses Heal Pulse on you, or Simple Beam, or something to that effect. You then hit it again, leaving the defenseless little creature with nothing to do other than offer to heal you again. You start to feel slightly guilty, but still, you deal the final blow to Audino.

In most cases like this, Audino will continue to heal you while you continue to hurt it. Do you think this is morally right or not? Let's just exclude the fact that it's just a Pokemon for a moment and think about it seriously.

Is it morally wrong to hurt this creature when all it wants to do is heal you? Discuss and debate this with your fellow members! Bring up as many points as you can in this debate! You may also use images you've found online demonstrating your point of view - just use four words with it.

On a side note, you're also free to discuss whether you personally feel guilty and whether that has an impact on your view in regards to this.

Whipped cream tail.

vaporeon7
January 10th, 2012, 04:27 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxkec7FJJW1r69ljqo1_500.png
I'll start by posting the inspiration of the thread.

I don't think it is morally wrong to hurt Audino. I do think it is more wrong to hurt it more than other Pokémon (Shiftry) because of how kind it is to you, but it still isn't wrong enough to hurt it. I like to think of Audino as a very kind Pokémon, generously giving itself up, in order to make others stronger. I could imagine a family of Audino, with the elder Audino letting the young ones defeat them, so they can grow stronger, and then they all heal each other afterwards. I think what makes it more wrong than others to defeat is how it helps you with Heal Pulse, how much it gets picked on, how defenceless it is and it's cute little whipped cream tail.

After a while of training, I do start to feel a bit guilty. Mainly because I ignore the other Pokémon and only defeat Audino.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
January 10th, 2012, 05:08 AM
It's just a Pokemon *shot*

Well, look at it this way. There are also Doctor and Nurse trainers who also exist to heal your Pokemon, but they want you to battle them and in fact won't heal you until you defeat them. Now, I'm not stating this is fact, but there is a possiblilty that Audino has the same opinion... you must battle it in order to take advantage of its healing powers. Maybe you have to prove yourself by not falling for its cute facade and go at it full-on in order to be deemed worthy of a Heal Pulse from it.

At least that's what I tell myself so I don't feel guilty lol

이큐리
January 10th, 2012, 08:14 AM
In my opinion, it isn't wrong. Its just like fighting other specific Pokemon all the time when you are EV training your Pokemon. Like the other day I killed like 30 Lillipup. Sure they're cute, but you have to do it. x]

Blade_of_darkness
January 10th, 2012, 09:18 AM

Well, look at it this way. There are also Doctor and Nurse trainers who also exist to heal your Pokemon, but they want you to battle them and in fact won't heal you until you defeat them. Now, I'm not stating this is fact, but there is a possiblilty that Audino has the same opinion... you must battle it in order to take advantage of its healing powers. Maybe you have to prove yourself by not falling for its cute facade and go at it full-on in order to be deemed worthy of a Heal Pulse from it.

/thread

This is the closest that I could get for a response in this. I'd like to bring up one other point: If beating Audinos into a bloody pulp is considered morally wrong, then shouldn't fighting & killing those infant Pokémon (Elekid, Smoochum, Azurill, etc.) also be wrong from a moral standpoint?

OrdealByFire
January 10th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Shouldn't it be wrong to kill any cute Pokemon too then?

TheRedeemed
January 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM
This kinda reminds me of the whole animal argument like "AH! Don't kill the cute fluffy dog/cat/horse/other popular animal while I go eat my pork chop"

People feel worse about hurting/killing cute things because of how society raised us to coo over and coddle them. Personally I don't feel worse about fainting an Audino than a Tropus, because they're all Pokemon.

And like Blade_of_Darkness said, I think the real shame should come from fainting a baby/low level Pokemon that really can't defend itself. Audino just chooses to help you out is all, it could just as easily use Slap and fight back. (? Can they learn that? I'll go look).

Edit - Well, they can use Pound from the start. Ok.

Ritzz
January 10th, 2012, 01:25 PM
The concept to me isn't wrong, but the fact that we're hunting this single species of pokemon does make it seem rather mean. :c

Besides, I can barely find Audinos in the wild. So I have less sympathy for them, since they aren't being harmed by me haha.

MissDigitalis
January 10th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Sometimes I feel bad about harming any pokemon but the thing to remember is that pokemon love to battle. They were born to do it. If I encountered an audino I'd probably battle it with a severely weak pokemon in my party like a baby pokemon.

If Pokemon were real however I doubt I'd ever fight an audino because it seems so sweet. I think I'd have an issue with pokemon battles in general IRL but since it's just a video game and the Pokemon sustain no real damage I'm ok with it.

Killjoy
January 10th, 2012, 01:49 PM
If we don't kill it something else will. Survival of the fittest Lol

But, in real life when faced with a creature not trying to hurt me, not even just minding it's own business, but going out of it's way to help me? I would never try to harm it, for I am neither an awful person, or a violent sociopath

Esper
January 10th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Game mechanics give you a big reward for knocking Audino out, but I can't see that actually doing anything to help train your own Pokemon if Pokemon were even remotely realistic. If it weren't a game and more like real life or even the anime then it would be really hard to justify beating up on them. It's not likely that you're fighting them off in self-defense. (They aren't exactly harmful.)

Renegade1
January 10th, 2012, 02:55 PM
If anything, we should just hunt them out and KO them.

JustSomeKidd
January 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM
This is exactly the kind of thinking that Team Plasma grunts had when they were recruited as tools for world domination. They're all left wing liberal fools. If we're thinking of this in a realistic sense, then it should be obvious that Audino's HAVE the right to run, or simply deny the fact that they even want to battle at all. Unless there's some evil 3rd party that bends their will and works independently from us that forces them to battle, then no, this is not wrong at all. But also, since when did the human race ever think about it before killing inferior species in order to further its petty wishes? 5 bucks all of you have eaten a variation of chicken within the past month. It's not a question of right or wrong, it's a matter of progression and the quickest way to reach the oh so beloved number one hundred.

Yoshikkko
January 10th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Uhhh no lol? Audino is just another Pokémon. I believe Chansey wants to heal people too but it gets beaten up plenty of times!! it is just game data

Forever
January 10th, 2012, 04:01 PM
HI GUYS TIME FOR REPLIES. Remember this "discussion" is all in fun. :) And not to take anything said offensively, etc.

Also, I'm only referring to the anime to back up my points in general - in most B/W threads unless you're debating/discussing something like this, then the anime isn't really suited to be mentioned.

Audino can't talk, how do we know that Audino does have the same motives as doctors/nurses? Also that last part sounds kind of... unlikely.

This is the closest that I could get for a response in this. I'd like to bring up one other point: If beating Audinos into a bloody pulp is considered morally wrong, then shouldn't fighting & killing those infant Pokémon (Elekid, Smoochum, Azurill, etc.) also be wrong from a moral standpoint?

Sure but again: these Pokemon want to fight, Audino doesn't.

Even if Audino was still ugly, it'd still want to heal you, how its designed shouldn't make a difference. :(

This kinda reminds me of the whole animal argument like "AH! Don't kill the cute fluffy dog/cat/horse/other popular animal while I go eat my pork chop"

People feel worse about hurting/killing cute things because of how society raised us to coo over and coddle them. Personally I don't feel worse about fainting an Audino than a Tropus, because they're all Pokemon.

And like Blade_of_Darkness said, I think the real shame should come from fainting a baby/low level Pokemon that really can't defend itself. Audino just chooses to help you out is all, it could just as easily use Slap and fight back. (? Can they learn that? I'll go look).

Edit - Well, they can use Pound from the start. Ok.

A Tropius doesn't try to heal you when you're hurt, a Tropius doesn't have something that makes life easier for you in-game. Aaand while it can fight back, maybe most Audino's are taught not to fight by other Audino's, considering their main role is to help others. Kinda like oh let's say Pikachu in the Mewtwo movie where it could fight back against the clone, but chose not to, and as a result had to suffer. Audino isn't known to run away mid-battle, either...

Sometimes I feel bad about harming any pokemon but the thing to remember is that pokemon love to battle. They were born to do it. If I encountered an audino I'd probably battle it with a severely weak pokemon in my party like a baby pokemon.

If Pokemon were real however I doubt I'd ever fight an audino because it seems so sweet. I think I'd have an issue with pokemon battles in general IRL but since it's just a video game and the Pokemon sustain no real damage I'm ok with it.

That's why I said forget it's a Pokemon game, and rather think in general, and at that point it does seem wrong, really. And no, not all Pokemon love to battle, it has been proved various times throughout both games and anime where Pokemon have simply not wanted to fight.

If we don't kill it something else will. Survival of the fittest Lol

But, in real life when faced with a creature not trying to hurt me, not even just minding it's own business, but going out of it's way to help me? I would never try to harm it, for I am neither an awful person, or a violent sociopath

Not really - in-game you don't know whether wild Pokemon do hurt other wild Pokemon in Unova, I certainly haven't heard any cases of it. What if humans are the only ones that are doing this?

Game mechanics give you a big reward for knocking Audino out, but I can't see that actually doing anything to help train your own Pokemon if Pokemon were even remotely realistic. If it weren't a game and more like real life or even the anime then it would be really hard to justify beating up on them. It's not likely that you're fighting them off in self-defense. (They aren't exactly harmful.)

But why are you rewarded? Why is it something that should be praised (hurting such an innocent Pokemon)? Is it that we lack Team Rocket so as a result WE are the bad guys?

If anything, we should just hunt them out and KO them.

Why?

This is exactly the kind of thinking that Team Plasma grunts had when they were recruited as tools for world domination. They're all left wing liberal fools. If we're thinking of this in a realistic sense, then it should be obvious that Audino's HAVE the right to run, or simply deny the fact that they even want to battle at all. Unless there's some evil 3rd party that bends their will and works independently from us that forces them to battle, then no, this is not wrong at all. But also, since when did the human race ever think about it before killing inferior species in order to further its petty wishes? 5 bucks all of you have eaten a variation of chicken within the past month. It's not a question of right or wrong, it's a matter of progression and the quickest way to reach the oh so beloved number one hundred.

In regards to the last part: We don't eat Audino. We eat meat. Your point? It's not like killing Audino helps you survive in-game, especially when there are LOADS of trainers and Nimbasa provides many. What does that say about life, take the easy way out instead of fight for what's right?

Uhhh no lol? Audino is just another Pokémon. I believe Chansey wants to heal people too but it gets beaten up plenty of times!! it is just game data

Chansey never actually does heal people when you battle it though, only in a hospital setting. This makes me think that those Chanseys in particular are domesticated, but normal ones aren't, while Audino is kind wherever it is.

littlebrother
January 10th, 2012, 04:17 PM
An Audino is a live piñata: the more you beat it up, the more candy you get. Doing anything else with it is just prolonging the time till you have candy. And no one wants that.

PlatinumDude
January 10th, 2012, 04:21 PM
IMO, it's not morally wrong to hurt Audino. Free healing is always a good thing when I'm fighting them. Even though I don't battle them often, the reason is that they provide HP EVs (which I don't need in most cases), and the only time I battle them is when my Pokemon are fully EV trained and I need loads of EXP.

Hydro Pumper
January 10th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I do have the feeling of guilt sitting in the back of my mind when I am bringing Audino's HP down. D: So I do see it morally wrong to KO Audino when it is being so helpful. I'm sort of thankful I don't see Audino regularly in the wild, because if they were more common that may mean I would adjust to knocking them out and begin feeling less empathy (each time) for knocking them out.

vaporeon7
January 10th, 2012, 05:18 PM

It's not that Audino is necessarily 'cute' because any Pokémon can be debated as cute. Whether you think of Corsola or Grimer as cute, it doesn't make it wrong to battle them. The main problem is how Audino is 'targeted' and how it is usually the only Pokémon defeated in its area, with all the other Pokémon just being ran away from, left unharmed. Another problem is how it heals you, as if it is trying to make friends, and you just shut it down anyway.

Bankaiglade
January 10th, 2012, 07:26 PM
It's not that Audino is necessarily 'cute' because any Pokémon can be debated as cute. Whether you think of Corsola or Grimer as cute, it doesn't make it wrong to battle them. The main problem is how Audino is 'targeted' and how it is usually the only Pokémon defeated in its area, with all the other Pokémon just being ran away from, left unharmed. Another problem is how it heals you, as if it is trying to make friends, and you just shut it down anyway. Nah...I only think killing one thats weaker than your other pokemon is wrong...

vaporeon7
January 10th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Nah...I only think killing one thats weaker than your other pokemon is wrong...

I don't think it is wrong to defeat Pokémon of a weaker level because, what do high level Pokémon defeat then? In the wild, Pokémon would defeat lower level Pokémon to train themselves. It's purposely focusing on one species, which is what I think is wrong.

littlebrother
January 10th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I don't think it is wrong to defeat Pokémon of a weaker level because, what do high level Pokémon defeat then? In the wild, Pokémon would defeat lower level Pokémon to train themselves. It's purposely focusing on one species, which is what I think is wrong.
I think the only thing that's wrong is that the healing move heals the Pokemon Audino is fighting and not itself.

Or that someone has been farming for exp too much and needs to take a break. :paranoid:

IceyPinkLemons
January 10th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Not really - in-game you don't know whether wild Pokemon do hurt other wild Pokemon in Unova, I certainly haven't heard any cases of it. What if humans are the only ones that are doing this?.

Hahaha, that is so inaccurate. Ahem, reading from Heatmor's Pokedex entry: "Using their very hot, flame-covered tongues, they burn through Durant's steel bodies and consume their insides."
And Mandibuzz's: "Watching from the sky, they swoop to strike weakened Pokémon on the ground. They decorate themselves with bones."
I'm sure the list goes on. :)

Forever
January 10th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Hahaha, that is so inaccurate. Ahem, reading from Heatmor's Pokedex entry: "Using their very hot, flame-covered tongues, they burn through Durant's steel bodies and consume their insides."
And Mandibuzz's: "Watching from the sky, they swoop to strike weakened Pokémon on the ground. They decorate themselves with bones."
I'm sure the list goes on. :)

Well, those Pokemon do generally seem aggressive. Would a Pidove, or a Pansage or a Purrloin or a Lillipup do that? Probably not. Those seem like extremes, imo, and I'd like to think not all Pokemon do hurt each other. Plus Audino hides away and is hard to find, while humans actively hunt it. I doubt Pokemon would find them that delicious to do that. ;x

Kaori
January 11th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Why feel bad about Audino when there are so much more innocent Pokémon we kill out in the wild? And why would you do that too, when that's the whole point to become a champion? You see Audino is simply helping us conquer the league in a quicker way, as well as many other Pokémon in the wild are doing! Audino is simply turning us all into lazy people which can become a bad habit, so that's all to blame Audino on!

It is not wrong at all to hurt Audino! It simply leads to success! n_n And we'll do whatever it takes to get there right? ;)

Forever
January 11th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Audino is simply turning us all into lazy people which can become a bad habit, so that's all to blame Audino on!

Heard of a song by Lady Gaga? Yeah, Born This Way. Audino was born that way, it can't change that it is useful to defeat, but it DOES decide to heal opponents simply because it's a good Pokemon, the trainers however are the ones that should be blamed. They're the ones that go after the Pokemon, not the other way around. So in a way, trainers are making themselves lazier by taking the easy option than actually thinking "oh wait, maybe this Pokemon should be used for MORE than its exp" - in fact, moments like this make me wish Audino was good competitively so you could say at least it gets its revenge, but nope. :(

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
January 11th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Audino can't talk, how do we know that Audino does have the same motives as doctors/nurses? Also that last part sounds kind of... unlikely.

Indeed, Audino can't talk. How do we know that it doesn't have the same motives? Or what its motives are, for that matter?

Mentalii
January 11th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Aww, I hadn't ever thought to that. Poor Audino, we should demonstrate, that's a shame, how can a trainer be that heartless (the trainer who may has K.O at least 500 Audino said)!? :pink_pissed:
No, but seriously, it's a good topic. I think if Pokémon existed I wouldn't fight against Audino, they're so much kind ! But it depends on their reactions. Do they heal you because they're totally suicidal (or mad)? Or maybe because they really want to help you to level up your Pokémon the most healthily as possible? Or because they hate to battle and can't bear violence? I wonder.
Anyway, as long as Audino stay in the game... I just pulverize them :pink_boogie:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
January 11th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I've started feeling really bad when I started attacking Audino in Pokemon Rumble Blast because they are extremely helpful; especially when your Pokemon toy is about to faint. But anyways, I really don't think it is morally wrong because it is a Pokemon in the wild like the rest, the only difference is that this one helps us. It is not our faults as trainers that need EXP to level up for a Pokemon to keeps healing us.

:t354:TG

miltankRancher
January 12th, 2012, 11:52 PM
I think it is not wrong to actually hurt Audino. He is just like all other wild Pokemon, except the fatc that he is forever doomed not to possess any ability to hurt us whatsoever.

Seki
January 13th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Its not wrong at all. If its wrong, you wouldn't be even playing the Pokemon games.

Oryx
January 13th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Its not wrong at all. If its wrong, you wouldn't be even playing the Pokemon games.

This doesn't logically hold true. If you feel it's wrong to kill a Pokemon that consistently tries to heal you in battle instead of attacking, you wouldn't play any Pokemon game?

vaporeon7
January 13th, 2012, 01:03 AM

There are iicr 5 wild Pokémon that can have Heal Pulse, Slowpoke, Slowbro (at very high levels in Abundant Shrine), Chimecho, Audino and Alomomola. Out of all of these, the only ones that are people might battle are Audino and Alomomola (and even then, who actually seeks out Alomomola on a regular basis?) Delibird can heal 80HP with Present 20% of the time, but otherwise it does damage and Pain Split can heal, with Misdreavus, Duosion and Reuniclus using it in white only. All of which have a small chance of appearing/being at the level. So out of all the Pokémon that heal you in the wild, Audino is the only one that will commonly be doing it, and is searched out and attacked, despite it.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
January 13th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Aww, I hadn't ever thought to that. Poor Audino, we should demonstrate, that's a shame, how can a trainer be that heartless (the trainer who may has K.O at least 500 Audino said)!? :pink_pissed:
No, but seriously, it's a good topic. I think if Pokémon existed I wouldn't fight against Audino, they're so much kind ! But it depends on their reactions. Do they heal you because they're totally suicidal (or mad)? Or maybe because they really want to help you to level up your Pokémon the most healthily as possible? Or because they hate to battle and can't bear violence? I wonder.
Anyway, as long as Audino stay in the game... I just pulverize them :pink_boogie:

If pokemon were real, i would not knock out wild pokemon unless it was in self defense. If i did knock out a wild pokemon and it was small, id carry it to the pokemon center to get him revived. On topic, i dont think its wrong to hurt audino, i think its wrong to hunt for them in a spesific area while leaving all other pokemon alone. It doesnt seem fair.

Yoshikkko
January 13th, 2012, 01:29 AM
So you're saying non-cute (which is subjective too) Pokémon can just like die orrrrr what. What does it have to do with whether a Pokémon is cute?? That's just a bit weird.

Kaori
January 13th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Nintendo and GameFreak implemented Audino in the games for a reason! I use that reason just as we would any other wild Pokémon because honestly it's just one Pokémon amongst 400+! It's in the wild either meant to catch or kill, and I choose both because I had one on my team and it killed other Audino and she ENJOYED IT.

@Forever - Pixels aren't "born this way" they were made this way. ;) FOR A REASON.

Overlord Drakow
January 13th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Yeah I think it's pretty bad lol. Attacking someone who doesn't fight back is generally pretty cruel, even by my standards. I'm just generalizing the situation.

Hoenn
January 13th, 2012, 10:04 AM
It gives a ton of exp and in my eyes Audino isn't as cute as others. I still sometimes feel bad though!

Forever
January 13th, 2012, 09:12 PM
It gives a ton of exp and in my eyes Audino isn't as cute as others. I still sometimes feel bad though!

Being cute shouldn't matter, the fact that it heals you matters.

Yeah I think it's pretty bad lol. Attacking someone who doesn't fight back is generally pretty cruel, even by my standards. I'm just generalizing the situation.

Thank you Drakow. :)

Nintendo and GameFreak implemented Audino in the games for a reason! I use that reason just as we would any other wild Pokémon because honestly it's just one Pokémon amongst 400+! It's in the wild either meant to catch or kill, and I choose both because I had one on my team and it killed other Audino and she ENJOYED IT.

@Forever - Pixels aren't "born this way" they were made this way. ;) FOR A REASON.

How do you know she enjoyed it? You can't really ask her.

Nah, why else would they give it such a cute look and the fact that most generally don't use their attacking moves FOR A REASON?

There are iicr 5 wild Pokémon that can have Heal Pulse, Slowpoke, Slowbro (at very high levels in Abundant Shrine), Chimecho, Audino and Alomomola. Out of all of these, the only ones that are people might battle are Audino and Alomomola (and even then, who actually seeks out Alomomola on a regular basis?) Delibird can heal 80HP with Present 20% of the time, but otherwise it does damage and Pain Split can heal, with Misdreavus, Duosion and Reuniclus using it in white only. All of which have a small chance of appearing/being at the level. So out of all the Pokémon that heal you in the wild, Audino is the only one that will commonly be doing it, and is searched out and attacked, despite it.

So very sad. :(

I think it is not wrong to actually hurt Audino. He is just like all other wild Pokemon, except the fatc that he is forever doomed not to possess any ability to hurt us whatsoever.

Aaand if you do that you're making it "more" doomed.

I've started feeling really bad when I started attacking Audino in Pokemon Rumble Blast because they are extremely helpful; especially when your Pokemon toy is about to faint. But anyways, I really don't think it is morally wrong because it is a Pokemon in the wild like the rest, the only difference is that this one helps us. It is not our faults as trainers that need EXP to level up for a Pokemon to keeps healing us.

There's other ways to get EXP and to heal yourself - think back to the older days of Pokemon, where you actually had to really EARN the title of Pokemon master (or at least had to put in lots of training that couldn't be easily grinded!)

Nah I don't think that's suicidal, but rather a good nature if anything. :x

Indeed, Audino can't talk. How do we know that it doesn't have the same motives? Or what its motives are, for that matter?

Innocent until proven otherwise - since we can't prove anything, you can assume that Audino has innocent motives/intentions. :)

Oryx
January 13th, 2012, 09:38 PM
What's interesting is that low-level Audino do attack you - they use Double-Edge. However, at high levels I rarely see that, only Heal Pulse and Simple Beam mostly, with an occasional After You or Entrainment. We could obviously attribute this to the fact that they learn Double Edge so low level that by the time they're high level they've forgotten it, but if you disregard the game mechanics, it raises questions. Maybe the Audino have an instinct to fight that they don't learn to control until higher levels? Or maybe they become more Audino-like as they level...or less?

Xeberos
January 13th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Audino is just a normal Pokémon and you get lot of EXP when you defeat it though it's cute. Normally I don't hunt Audino, I just go to grass and battle with random Pokémon. But if I see shaking grass, then it's time to go for little more EXP. :(

Ratty524
January 13th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Who cares? It's a game. Plus Audino's Double-Edge and Secret Power attacks hurt like a *****, so I tear it to pieces and gain tremendous EXP. :)

Djinnception
January 14th, 2012, 01:53 AM

Technically, i wouldn't use the word KILL. You are making the Pokemon FAINT, not DIE... I am sure all those poor Audinos will wake up in about 10-15 minutes, heal themselves, and go on about their business. Sure Pokemon might die, but not as a result of you battling and defeating them.

Oshakpop
January 15th, 2012, 11:54 AM
While it does heal others... are you telling me it's only going to heal others.. of course not.. it's going to be a battling Pokémon too! So, no it's not wrong.

Natural Harmonia Gropius
January 15th, 2012, 06:24 PM
If they existed in the real world, then I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to battle them. I could never hurt something that's cute and heals me too.

However, since they're just characters in a video game, then no, it's not wrong to fight them. Although I still can't help feeling slightly guilty sometimes.

Lizabeth83
January 16th, 2012, 07:52 AM
When players begin to think about the moral obligations of playing a game, the Audinos have won.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
January 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM
If Audino didn't want to be slaughtered, then it should learn to be more ninja-like and not cause the grass to shake, which is essentially the equivalent of a big red target...

Forever
January 16th, 2012, 08:23 PM
When players begin to think about the moral obligations of playing a game, the Audinos have won.

And perhaps it's a good thing that Audino's have won, maybe this thread will convince just one, or two players to suddenly reconsider their actions - and that'll spread, spread FAR and then finally, Audino will be safe and no longer an endangered species. :)

While it does heal others... are you telling me it's only going to heal others.. of course not.. it's going to be a battling Pokémon too! So, no it's not wrong.

Not necessarily, as mentioned most older Audino's don't battle.

If Audino didn't want to be slaughtered, then it should learn to be more ninja-like and not cause the grass to shake, which is essentially the equivalent of a big red target...

Not Audino's fault it is "large". :x

What's interesting is that low-level Audino do attack you - they use Double-Edge. However, at high levels I rarely see that, only Heal Pulse and Simple Beam mostly, with an occasional After You or Entrainment. We could obviously attribute this to the fact that they learn Double Edge so low level that by the time they're high level they've forgotten it, but if you disregard the game mechanics, it raises questions. Maybe the Audino have an instinct to fight that they don't learn to control until higher levels? Or maybe they become more Audino-like as they level...or less?

As I said on irc I love that theory. I think that when they are younger they are defenseless and it's easier to kill them, while as they grow older it's that they can hold up their own in a battle where a trainer hasn't grinded that much so they feel it's the time to use the healing powers. Perhaps it's Audino's destiny and it only grows into that destiny as it gets older, too, after seeing other injured Pokemon and it realises it wants to help them AND BE SELFLESS. :3

Conaire
January 16th, 2012, 10:11 PM
We aren't the ones that are beating them up are we? No it's the pokemon, pokemon kill people, people don't kill people.

vaporeon7
January 18th, 2012, 01:08 AM
We aren't the ones that are beating them up are we? No it's the pokemon, pokemon kill people, people don't kill people.

Yes, there are Pokémon that kill people (mainly ghost types), but Audino doesn't. Audino are like natural nurses/doctors. They use their excellent hearing to assess a Pokémon's condition and then heal them with Heal Pulse. And people kill Pokémon, for instance, Team Rocket and Marowak. What you just said was basically saying guns are the ones that kill people, people are completely innocent. You are the one commanding the Pokémon what to do.

Oryx
January 18th, 2012, 03:48 AM

Victim blaming isn't acceptable in the real world, juuuuust saying. :x

Gonzo
January 18th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Really, who cares about Audino?
I love killing it for EXP. Why should I feel bad about that or why should I stop? I don't care, it gives good exp, and I'm happy that it's so common. And I hate it's look, it's so annoying, so it brings me joy KOing it.
I really feel sorry to Diglett I use to exp and EV on in RGBYFRLG. It is sooo cute and good in competitive! Lol, nope. I don't, these are only pixels and digits.
IT'S A GAME, PEOPLE!!! It's not a real animal nor a person.
Why don't you tell Game Freak to make Pinkpeace organisation in next main game? They'll save Audino from being abused for exp by player.
Consider that idea, totally worth it.

Natural Harmonia Gropius
January 18th, 2012, 06:08 AM
This is so pathetic.

What about all the hard working Pokémon that work to keep the regions clean or in good shape? What about the Pokémon working in the mines in DPPt? They do it all daily, and we hurt these Pokémon too. All Audino is heal us, which is already done for us at the Pokémon Center. & How about the legendaries of all the regions that help protect us and yet we use them for our battling and power desires??? How come there isn't a thread for that too?

Audino doesn't even bring up a very good heated discussion, smh rn. It's just a pixel like any other Pokémon and I'm sure if it weren't for a certain person Forever, you wouldn't care about Audino so much either. But it is associated with one and so you must quote the world and tell them that Audino is great and we're all wrong and argue our points.

What a thread!
There's a difference. The owners of those pokemon wanted to battle, and I'm sure the miners did too. They're fighting type pokemon after all, so they live for battle. Although the owners also used rock types I believe, so I can't speak for all. As for the wild Machop in the mines, they're probably wild pokemon that just went in the caves to train, and even if they're miners too, they're also fighting type pokemon.

Audino simply want to heal others. Whether they enjoy battling other pokemon, who knows? Maybe they do, maybe they don't. But they're not as obsessed with battling like fighting type pokemon are.

As for the legendaries, I think you have a point there. Legendaries are probably in hard to reach places for a very good reason, to not have to deal with trainers trying to catch them. They have a job, and catching them probably would interfere with that job.

But in the end, it's just a game, and if pokemon existed in the real world, I don't think most of us would have legendaries (or any of us, they would be too strong for anyone who tried to catch them) or run into mines to battle against miners, or go around singling out cute fluffy pink blobs who happen to be doctors.

Assassin9399
January 18th, 2012, 06:15 AM
You just ruined the Audino's extra experience for me.

I know that it's wrong, but in this case I act like when I eat meat. I enjoy it, but when I actually think about it, I know that it's wrong. But I just don't want to give in to that, cause I like meat (or Audino's experience in that case).

It's wrong to do it when you think about it, so I just don't think about it :3

Gymnotide
January 18th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Maybe Audino should be less stupid and learn some real moves. As if it hasn't gotten the hint yet.

duskull12
January 18th, 2012, 10:03 AM
in my opinion its doing what bio shock does for the little sisters if you make them faint you get a crap load of exp but you feel terrible if you decide to catch it you wont feel as bad but wont get the exp honestly its a little sister made adorable

EDIT: now i feel terrible for killing that aldino last night :(

Kirozane
January 18th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Ok um wow.... let me just start by saying I have lost multiple brain cells reading through this. It was like reading a PETA article. I mean, lemme just say I want to know where you got the games where Audino use mostly those moves. Because no matter where I go, those little horrors are trying to kill me. They used simple beam on me MAYBE once and I didn't know till I looked them up that they could even learn heal pulse, that the move even existed. THEY. NEVER. USED. IT. ON. ME. My pokemon coulda been in the red and I ran into the patch when I wasn't looking. "OH HEY LET'S KNOCK THAT LARVITAR OUT DURRHURRHURR" That is how Audino treat me. In both my english and Japanese games. They don't show me the "kindness" you all seem to know so well. Never once. I saw them as decietful merciless beasts that, if anything DESERVED to be hunted. And no, I am not lying. I would have recorded playing my game if I coulda. Those things were always cold to me. And don't say "Oh you prolly did something to deserve it" Ummmm nope. I don't think I did. If I am not EV training I either run from everything or run from nothing. So don't try to say I single them out. So I don't think it is morally wrong, nor do I think any guilt comes into my mind. And that's saying something. A leaf falls and I start guilt tripping myself. With how these "kind hearted" pokemon treat me, I feel no guilt in letting my pokemon knock them over the horizon. Go ahead and call me heartless. They brought what I do upon themselves.

Cordelia
January 18th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Personally, I enjoy savagely fainting every single Audino I come across, simply because they troll me when I am trying to capture RNG. Their little square pops up and I am like you little ... then I faint it. I think we should encourage these Audino faintings, it's a pest, plain and simple.

duskull12
January 18th, 2012, 10:25 AM
i would kill more its just the way they look it eats my insides when i kill them its like there pleading "PLEASE DONT KILL ME *ALDINO CRYING*"

it brings extreme guilt into my normaly hatred filled heart

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
January 18th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Audino, your cuteness holds no sway with me. Go ask the likes of Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Marill, etc. if their cuteness kept me from defeating them.

But personally I run from them more often than I kill them because I'm usually hunting for whatever other rare Pokemon also appears in the shaking grass. When it does show up, I'm usually, "DAMN! NOT ANOTHER AUDINO!" and quickly run away, hoping the next Pokemon I stumble across is something I haven't seen a hundred times before.

Axiom
January 18th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Audino don't do nothin' but heal with their hearts for all of us. That's why it's a sin to kill an Audino.

-To kill an Audino

PlayingAmongStars
January 19th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Is it morally wrong to hurt any Pokemon?

I grinded so hard off of Audino. Then they rewarded me for slaughtering so many of their family members by handing me a shiny one. I felt a little bad, but it was a Nuzlocke and I needed that EXP. o.e

So...maybe? It's sort of like the whole "don't kill a mockingbird" quote, except this is a video game and there are no repercussions for anything.

Patchisou Yutohru
January 21st, 2012, 01:43 PM
I think it's morally wrong to hurt any wild Pokémon to the point of fainting!!! ...But Audino in particular? Not my fault Audino has sucky moves when dealing with opposing Pokémon. Its doubleslap somehow always manages to hit five times, and it's even managed to beat some of my team early on in the game.

Forever
January 25th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Personally, I enjoy savagely fainting every single Audino I come across, simply because they troll me when I am trying to capture RNG. Their little square pops up and I am like you little ... then I faint it. I think we should encourage these Audino faintings, it's a pest, plain and simple.

A pest? Yeah compare that to Zubat of the past games and the wild Pokemon that appear so often in Unova's caves and grass in general, it's your choice to run into them, while for everything else, you have no choice. Those are the real pests.

The Nightmare
January 27th, 2012, 10:48 PM
well that depends, people hurt audino for exp or some leave them alone but normally its not wrong to hurt an audino unless it was trying to help you then it would be wrong to attack someone who is helping you.

oocyst
January 28th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Victim blaming isn't acceptable in the real world, juuuuust saying. :x

But an animal that can't hide very well in the wild is a target for predators in the real world.

I don't think it is morally wrong. If we take this into real life perspectives, an animal that wants to 'help' a predator is bound to be attacked. If an animal doesn't want to get killed by a predator it should stay clear of predators.

What about pokemon that can't do anything like Metapod and Kakuna, is it morally wrong to faint them as well?

Ciz
January 28th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Morally wrong? I don't think so.

To tame it and run from it, well that could be a valid purpose. Just like hurting a Pichu and a Chansey.

Besides, this is just the way it should be. They just fainted, you just gained experience, and you can even decide to catch it before it flees. Its just perfectly natural.

What's morally wrong is killing Pokemon, but I doubt you could do that. The world doesn't allow you to do so.

And I doubt you cant stand battling a level 100 Audino, and fainting it before it hits you with a jolly-good double-edge.

Just remember, you're doing it all the time. You hurt it, it faints, it regenerates at the wild, and it returns to be fainted again.

(No Pokemon were killed in the making of this Battle.)

Eucliffe
January 28th, 2012, 05:49 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2nh173b.jpg

(Read from right-to-left)

TitleWhatever your intentions, results are what matters!

Panel 1Narration: Inside the Giant Chasm

Panel 3 Narration: Wild Audino appeared!

Panel 4Touya: Alright! Finally found one! Go get it, 'loom!

Panel 5Audino: Wow!

Panel 6Audino: How cool! You're a new face, aren't you? Say, where do you come fro-?
Narration: Befriend
Sidenote: Pokemon language

Panel 7Narration: Mach Punch
Audino: -mgh.

Panel 8Audino: Owie...

Panel 9Audino: Why'd you do that all of a sudden...

Panel 10Audino (aside): Ah... If I look closely...

Panel 11Audino (aside): He's injured...

Panel 12Touya: Don't take your eyes off it.
Audino (aside): If I think about it more charitably, I just yelled out suddenly at him... it probably frightened him, huh...

Panel 13Audino (aside): I was wrong about him...

Panel 14Audino (aside): First off, I'd better heal his wounds for him!
Narration: Healing Wave

Panel 17Narration: Breloom's health was restored!

Panel 18Audino: Are you all better? My name's Audi--
Narration: Focus Punch

Panel 19Narration: And the suffering of Audino continued.

...That aside, part of me wants to say "If you feel something for a digital creature that'll probably never be real, then you have no life." But another part says, "How cruel! Any sort of animal abuse is wrong ;;" Honestly, I would never purposely track down Audino just for the exp., but if I do come across shaking grass and it does reveal Audino, I will battle it for the exp.

Katniss Everdeen
January 29th, 2012, 03:47 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2nh173b.jpg

(Read from right-to-left)

TitleWhatever your intentions, results are what matters!

Panel 1Narration: Inside the Giant Chasm

Panel 3 Narration: Wild Audino appeared!

Panel 4Touya: Alright! Finally found one! Go get it, 'loom!

Panel 5Audino: Wow!

Panel 6Audino: How cool! You're a new face, aren't you? Say, where do you come fro-?
Narration: Befriend
Sidenote: Pokemon language

Panel 7Narration: Mach Punch
Audino: -mgh.

Panel 8Audino: Owie...

Panel 9Audino: Why'd you do that all of a sudden...

Panel 10Audino (aside): Ah... If I look closely...

Panel 11Audino (aside): He's injured...

Panel 12Touya: Don't take your eyes off it.
Audino (aside): If I think about it more charitably, I just yelled out suddenly at him... it probably frightened him, huh...

Panel 13Audino (aside): I was wrong about him...

Panel 14Audino (aside): First off, I'd better heal his wounds for him!
Narration: Healing Wave

Panel 17Narration: Breloom's health was restored!

Panel 18Audino: Are you all better? My name's Audi--
Narration: Focus Punch

Panel 19Narration: And the suffering of Audino continued.

...That aside, part of me wants to say "If you feel something for a digital creature that'll probably never be real, then you have no life." But another part says, "How cruel! Any sort of animal abuse is wrong ;;" Honestly, I would never purposely track down Audino just for the exp., but if I do come across shaking grass and it does reveal Audino, I will battle it for the exp.
LOL! Oh. My. God. That is so wrong. XD
When it's in the game it doesn't seem that bad. But in a visual like that it's really sad.