• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What would you do if you were kidnapped then tied with rope?

The Void

hiiiii
Years
What would you do if someone kidnaps you, gets any communication devices or sharp objects from your pocket, bounds you with rope, and fastens your mouth with tape and then leaves you in a room? How will you escape?

Would you try to use your super special Houdini skills (if you have them) to escape? Would you try looking for a sharp object to cut the rope? Would you try slipping your hands through the rope? Or would you rather just simply struggle using force, hoping that the rope was pasted with glue (don't call me dumb, but I'd actually do this first :P)? Do you think there's a high or low chance of this happening to you?

EDIT: As request by Patchisou Yutohru, I added a few more details:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I guess I'll be sitting in the middle of the room with my hands and feet bound by a rope and my mouth taped hoping that someone will save me.

There's not much to go on here. How tight is the rope? What's the room like? I'm assuming we still can use our eyes (terrible mistake by the kidnapper). Is there a door or a window? Are there any objects around that could be used? What kind of tape is it and how firm is it strapped? I can't really say what I'd do without these important factors being mentioned!!

The Void

hiiiii
Years
I guess I'll be sitting in the middle of the room with my hands and feet bound by a rope and my mouth taped.

There's not much to go on here. How tight is the rope? What's the room like? I'm assuming we still can use our eyes (terrible mistake by the kidnapper). Is there a door or a window? What kind of tape is it and how firm is it strapped?

Well, the rope is obviously very tight, and yeah, you could still use your eyes but the room is pretty much barren.

Years
What would you do if someone kidnaps you, gets any communication devices or sharp objects from your pocket, bounds you with rope, and fastens your mouth with tape and then leaves you in a room? How will you escape?

[snip]

Do you think there's a high or low chance of this happening to you?
I would hope it's a very low chance.

Since I'm not bound to the ground and there is no a mention of a door, let alone a locked door, I'd just wiggle, crawl, or roll my way out of the room. Lather, rinse, repeat until I get to someplace where people can untie me.

The Void

hiiiii
Years
I guess I'll be sitting in the middle of the room with my hands and feet bound by a rope and my mouth taped hoping that someone will save me.

There's not much to go on here. How tight is the rope? What's the room like? I'm assuming we still can use our eyes (terrible mistake by the kidnapper). Is there a door or a window? Are there any objects around that could be used? What kind of tape is it and how firm is it strapped? I can't really say what I'd do without these important factors being mentioned!!

I thought you'd somehow ban your captors or something...

I would hope it's a very low chance.

Since I'm not bound to the ground and there is no a mention of a door, let alone a locked door, I'd just wiggle, crawl, or roll my way out of the room. Lather, rinse, repeat until I get to someplace where people can untie me.

What kind of room doesn't have a door? Of course it has a door! Let's say it was just closed, not locked...

Nothing,i'll just wait...wait for something to happen,i won't be tight forever lol

Cool. So you must be a really calm person then? Calm and collected :P
But you'll pretty much starve if you'll just wait and do nothing.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2012
What would I do in this situation? This isn't a terribly detailed scenario, so I'll assume that you are tied with your arms behind your back in a locked room with nothing in it at all.

I would probably start with just trying to push one of my arms farther into the rope to hopefully cinch it at a different tightness than the standard "really tight", because most knots when cinched from the outside can still be moved a bit from the inside if they are tied improperly. Then I would proceed to pull my hand back to the smallest area of my arm (probably my wrist) and try to use one hand to try to crush the other one sideways (it would hurt like hell, but I would rather that then starve, or wait to be found by someone else) and attempt to pull it out, if that succeeds, it would be trivial to escape after that.

If I couldn't change the cinch on the rope, I would kick at the door about 3 inches above the door handle, it may take a couple of attempts to do it, but hopefully it would knock the door down. If that fails I would attempt to bash a hole through a wall to try to get out or find something sharp to work with.

If none of that works, I would kick the doorhandle off the door and pull out the metal piece in the middle, and proceed to bash the crap out of it to make little dents in it, stick it back into the handle, and try to "saw" the rope off. Any remotely effective dent could rip a fiber off the rope would be able to get me out in around 20-30 minutes.

If a handle doesn't exist, I would try to burn the rope as best I could with the light above if it is incandescent...

It a light doesn't exist, I would try to take a shoelace off of my shoe, and wrap it around as best I could the rope. I would wrap it around about 5 times minimum, and stand on each side of the lace, then move my hands really swiftly from left to right repeatedly, this will gain a lot of heat, and if the lace doesn't break (They are surprisingly durable), it could damage the rope enough to get free.

If I didn't have laces though, I would rub my face against a wall to remove the duct tape, and put it at about waist level, turn around and grab it with my hands, and rip off half of it, and drag it against the ground to collect anything solid, Then I would roll it up and wrap around it once with the remaining tape, and stomp on it to make it as solid and small as possible. Then I would try to push it into the crack of the door to try to push the nub that keeps the door closed in enough, always applying pressure to the door when not pushing (that hardened tape wouldn't be sturdy enough to do it in one go) to keep it's position, and repeat until it is close enough to force open...

There are other things, but that would require more detail.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I'd like to say I'd remain cool and calm and try and deduce a way out of it, but the truth is I'd probably panic and flail about to the best of my ability, all the while screaming in vain because my mouth is taped and nobody can hear me anyway :P

Back