PDA

View Full Version : Does Ketchum sound like Catch em?

Shining Arcanine
December 1st, 2003, 01:16 AM
I just thought about it now after 5 years. lol Well, what do you think?

Frostweaver
December 1st, 2003, 01:27 AM
I thought that's always the allusion the translaters are trying to draw all along... usually the names have something to do with the character *except 2 terrible one, both starting with m and are siblings of each other*

Like Tracey Sketchit and etc... there's some character descriptions within the names (but very minor descriptions...)

jynx
December 1st, 2003, 12:30 PM
Ketchum always have meant to be catch' em.
Just as Sketchit in Sketch it and Smoochum as Smooch 'em.

Sayuri no Hoshi
December 2nd, 2003, 11:36 AM
Funny how I've thought about that, too, lol. Well, I adored Ash back in the day (and uh...still do ^_^) and I wondered how to spell his last name. I was a slow child, lol. I wrote it down "literally". Like Catchem. It wasn't until later I caught on and found out it was spelled Ketchum. Sort of like a pun, don't you all think?

Dizzy
December 2nd, 2003, 01:29 PM
Not even Close,

Catch em' (kat chem)

Ketchum ( Ket chum )

See the difference. I dont lol.

Chimou
December 2nd, 2003, 02:46 PM
This is such old news... What took you so long to figure that one out?

shep
December 2nd, 2003, 08:45 PM
for people who just realized this....WOW....just wow...

shiny_jiggly
December 2nd, 2003, 11:01 PM
That was so obvious Shining Arcanine.
You mean you haven't noticed it all this while?
My brother and I often make fun of his name by calling him "Ash Ketchup" instead :D :P

Jirachi
December 3rd, 2003, 03:24 AM
Of course, Americans always do unworthy stuff like that.
I wonder what their last Japanese names are.

jynx
December 3rd, 2003, 03:25 AM
Well, he did call himself ketchup in the episode with Electabuzz and Scyther

invinible
December 3rd, 2003, 03:26 PM
Wasn't that the same episode that Brook was known to the rival gyms as Caeser Salad?

Chimou
December 3rd, 2003, 04:18 PM
No, he actually called himself "Tom Ato" in that episode. oo;

Sayuri no Hoshi
December 3rd, 2003, 04:37 PM
Well, he did call himself ketchup in the episode with Electabuzz and Scyther

Well, I could see where you got that from. He did space out for a second while he was looking at Pikachu being all obsessive with the ketchup... O_o; And then he said "Ketchup..." But, like it was already posted, he called himself Tom Ato, Misty as Ann Chovy, and Brock as was also pointed out, Caesar Salad. ^_^

Kayleigh
December 3rd, 2003, 08:20 PM
Lol, I think that I realised this several months after I got into it, and read where someone said that. I'm certain that they made his last name 'Ketchum' to fit in with the phrase 'Gotta catch m all!' It's so obvious! ^_^

Haruka
December 3rd, 2003, 08:33 PM
Remember Ash's Pikachu was holding a katchup bottle and Ash wanted to disise his name to Ketchup.. lol.. thats soooo funny... Classic!

jynx
December 4th, 2003, 12:12 AM
Wasn't that the same episode that Brook was known to the rival gyms as Caeser Salad?
Ya!
But wasn't it scissors salad? o_O|||
And what does Ann Chovy mean?

Iveechan
December 4th, 2003, 05:33 AM
Ann Chovy was a reference to anchovy, and brock's fake name was caesar salad. Little food theme going on. there was a Hitmonchan in that ep... hey, my top 3 faves were in there, Electabuzz and Machoke too! YAY!

shiny_jiggly
December 4th, 2003, 05:38 AM
I think anchovy is a kind of fish. (Fits Misty's pseudonym too well :P)

jynx
December 4th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Oh, that's great!
The USA ppl are so creative!

Arore
December 22nd, 2003, 07:09 AM
Ehhh...I think he was named that on purpose. :cheeky:

Hikaru's Twin
December 22nd, 2003, 07:17 AM
Giving Ash the surname Ketchum was deliberate, as it was supposed to sound like "Catch 'em" as in "Gotta Catch 'em All!" I remember reading that in some Nintendo Magazine... ^^

Q Man
December 22nd, 2003, 02:40 PM
I've got a friend who's last name is Ketchum... Spelled the same way, too... Kinda ironic, considering he absolutely hates anime of all sorts >.<

NaVeR
December 22nd, 2003, 04:32 PM
uhhh...to me Ketchum sounds more like ketchup XDDDDD

and when they used gotta catch 'em all as a slogan (do they still use that?) i was like what the <something i can't say on pc> was that?

Miyu-chan
December 25th, 2003, 10:34 AM
That was so obvious Shining Arcanine.
You mean you haven't noticed it all this while?
My brother and I often make fun of his name by calling him "Ash Ketchup" instead :D :P
My brother and i do that too! XD Gotta agree that they did a lame job in making surnames for them. >"< I think in the japanese version, they didn't have any. n_n;

Greed
December 25th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Meh, I never bothered to look at his last name.. :\ Reminds me of ketchup, tho.

Kinda cute :\

*gets killed by smilies*

Cherrim
December 26th, 2003, 07:32 PM
XD Well... I'm actually surprised you didn't come across some sort of website giving that theory sooner, Shining Arcanine... it's been around since the beginning of the anime series in NA. ^_^;;

The "ketchup episode" was the greatest. Pikachu was adorable when its ketchup bottle broke. XD

Sapphire Titan
December 26th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Ketchum did sound a lot like Ketchup. That's y I didn't catch on! I finally did when I read somewhere, "Way to Catch 'em, Ketchum!"