PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Pokémon Purist?

King Goodra
January 22nd, 2012, 09:06 AM
MOD NOTE: Yes, this is originally from 2012, but we've decided to leave this thread open (see post 46 (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8311531#8311531)), so feel free to continue posting here!

~~~

A Pokémon Purist is someone who typically holds the belief that the first generation is the best because it was the first, and usually hold that belief based on nostalgia and sentimentality. They believe they had the best towns, they had the best Pokémon, they had the best story line, they had the best gym leaders, they had the best replay value, etc. Some refuse to buy games of later generations because of this, some continue to buy them and play though them (thoroughly enjoying them), but still hold the belief that Gen I was better and they'll usually never change their opinion.

Are you a Pokémon Purist? If so, how much of one are you? If not, what is your opinion of Pokémon Purists?

Oryx
January 22nd, 2012, 09:27 AM
Nooo I honestly can't stand Pokemon purists. Even if they're not the type to argue it with you, it still just...gets on my nerves. Yes, I do love the first generation out of nostalgia, I admit. I honestly don't like going back and playing it but I still love it because of the memories. But I wouldn't argue that the first is objectively the best in any way. Its graphics were terrible, its storyline was simplistic even compared to the rest of the games, its gameplay was flawed in ways that were fixed in later generations, it was full of bugs. I may be judgmental in that I hate when people claim it's the best even if they don't argue it with me but I can't help it because I just dislike that claim so much haha.

-ty-
January 22nd, 2012, 09:36 AM
When I saw the thread title, the first thought that came to mind was team typing.
In the anime, some main protagonists always have the conventional Grass, Fire, and Water type-pokemon in their teams. Some examples of Purists would be Ash/Red, Gary/Blue, Cynthia, Bianca, Barry, and Cheren.

So I would say that I HAVE to include a Grass, Fire, and Water type Pokemon. So in that respect that is what I think of as sticking to that standard and nostalgic conventions of a protagonist/champion team.

But as a GEN 1 Purist, I would say I am not at all. I love GEN 1, but I love the other GEN's as well.

Tombo
January 22nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
I am definitely not a pursit. Most of the 'purists' haven't even tried the games of latter generations.

Yoshikko
January 22nd, 2012, 11:21 AM
Well, I think I kind of am, only except that I do like some Pokémon of the newer gens and it's not like I am so stubborn that no one can change my mind on it. It's just yeah, for all the reasons why purists are what they are. But I still don't like to refer to myself as one haha, if I could even be considered one.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
January 22nd, 2012, 11:49 AM
Not at all. There are good and bad Pokemon from all generations and each region has its ups and downs. As for the games themselves, they're full of problems like glitches and sprites that look nothing like the real thing. Not to mention that you were forced to play as a boy back in those days.

Even the graphical and gameplay advancements from 1st to 2nd gen were astounding and if I feel like returning to Kanto, I'll just play Leaf Green, thanks. But one thing I miss from 1st gen was Persian's Slash going critical almost every time.

Overall however, the advances made since the original games outweighs any sense of "nostalgia" for the 1st gen. People who are 1st gen purists don't usually bother me unless they're trying to push their beliefs on me.

Shiny Murkrow
January 22nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
Im not. Sure, I love the first gen alot but I tried the others out too and I like them.

psyanic
January 22nd, 2012, 12:32 PM
Oh no... I am not a Pokemon purist. I think saying the first gen is the best in every single aspect of the games themselves is pretty darn stubborn. Graphically, it's probably the worst. It was decent for its time, when it was released, but nowadays it's got nothing on Gen V.

Zeffy
January 22nd, 2012, 11:22 PM
I think of Pokemon purists as people with a limited mindset, they only consider one thing and don't care for the others.

As for me, no, I am not a ppurist. I love the whole franchise so much, I can't even imagine how one could be so hateful of the other generations.

Sora
January 23rd, 2012, 08:34 AM
Considering that I've never even beaten the Elite Four in Kanto - at all - I would say that I'm most definitely not a purist. Even so, I enjoy many Pokemon from the older generations. Each generation have their ups-and-downs and I notice that, though it did take me a while to warm up to the fourth generation, and the fifth generation was okay, but not something I was hooked on for a long time. When I see purists who don't care about anything but the first generation, it bothers me. I'm fine with the purists that I least acknowledge that the other generations exist, and have favorites from other generations. However, they just favor the first generation more Like many things, it depends on the level of purism and how much they act on it depends on how much I'm bothered by it. I'm talking in more of a general level, than just a game level, as there are purists when it comes to the anime, and just the designs on the Pokemon as well.

BeliVuk
January 27th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I prefer the original generation of Pokemon, but I don't hate the rest.

Jellicent♀
January 27th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Oh no, I'm not one at all. I can't stand the purists. They rave and rant about all of the newer generations and how awesome the first is. I honestly don't like the first generation games very much. The only reason that they're in love with it all is because the feeling that their nostalgia gives them makes them feel better than their life makes them feel. They call the newest gen "the worst yet" saying nothing looks original. Really? No originality? What about Voltorb or Electrode? Their Pokedex entries even say that they're Pokeballs. Diglett? Dugtrio? Over designed? What about Rhyhorn? I agree that each generation has its ups and downs, but not so much to where I cant hate any of them. I loved them all, and always will. Being a fan of ONLY the first generation doesn't make you a Pokemon fan, it makes you a fan of nostalgia.

Dave_
January 27th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I would say I am a purist to an extent ...
GEN1 holds a lot fo sentimentality, It gave the first concept of pokemon and sold it for soo many people

I have played later gens and didnt find that I wanted to play through them again

However I much prefer FireRed to the Original Red the updated graphics etc made it even more enjoyable

I also feel the amount of pokemon taht were added started getting a bit obscure..
In particular the legend/spirit/w.e pokemon and thing like the oen based on rubbish?

I did however enjoy Ruby quite a lot, and I like the viewpoint in black/white..

I'll always feel for me that the original is best, It was the seed that spawned so it cant be rivaled

But that doesnt mean i hate the rest of them.. haha

TwiDragon
January 27th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I'm not.
I got into Pokemon at Gen III, and so far Gen III, and V have been my favorites.

Gen I and FR/LG were the most boring Pokemon games I've played. There felt like there was a lot more to do and a lot more involvement with in the later generations. The only generation I didn't like was the new Pokemon and the anime oof D/P/Pt. It felt simple, easy, and very dumbed down for kids. I also felt the pokemon were an excuse for evolution and legendary concepts.

LuckyLuckyPachirisu
January 27th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I don't think I am a Poke'mon purist because even though I have loved Poke'mon since the launch date but I still love the new ones they are making. (Every generation has the good and bad Poke'mon I personally think :) ) As you can see my favorite Poke'mon is Pachirisu so I am not a Poke'mon purist. =D

Mentalii
January 28th, 2012, 05:27 AM
I really love first generation, and it's my favourite. But I'm not a purist.
I think any new generation won't make us dreaming as the first one did, because it was the very beginning of Pokémon. We all feel this awesome nostalgia when thinking of it. But that doesn't prevent us from liking the other generations !
Ok, for me first Pokémons were badass, that's for sure, but, there has been a lot of improvement since RBY, about the plot, the towns, so we can't say that 1st gen is the best of the best, just because it's the first. That doesn't mean that we can't prefer it, but let's be a little objective.
Pokémon ultra purists are too much stubborn.

arbok
January 28th, 2012, 10:35 AM
first gen is my fav. and yes in my order it does go
gen 1 = 1st place
gen 2 = 2nd place
gen 3 = 3rd place
gen 4 = 4th place
gen 5 = 5th place

so yeah... but I'll agree that the story line in gen 1 was the most basic. I'll prefer playing fire red and leaf green to red and blue anyday though so I'm not sure if that makes me a gen one fan or kanto fan.
I don't see how anyone can argue that blue and red had the best graphics though :/

GibbyGibson
January 28th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't say I'm a Pokémon Purist. Why you may ask?

Well, each generation brings with it many different Pokémon. And within those Pokémon, some I love, some I hate, and some I just can't fathom why. It doesn't matter which generation it is or was, it's the same with each to me.

And example would be with Generation 1, I loved Dragonite, but I could not stand Weezing. In the current Generation, I can't stand Crustle, but I love the look of Krookodile.

GibbyGibson

Whistle A Tune
January 28th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I don't exactly fit your description of a Pokemon Purist but I think I'm kind of one? The first mon game I played was Ruby back when I was like 11, and to this day third Gen is still the best IMO. So I'm partial to my sentimentalities of my first Pokemon game, but it's not the first, "pure" generation.. I've still played a game from each generation though (well, if we can count HG as 2nd gen) which has allowed me to properly make my assessment.

Briar
January 29th, 2012, 12:05 AM
i don't believe i'm one, personally. in the first place, i'm not even a huge fan of the first generation games (cue audience gasp). although, i've observed that my interest in pokemon has the tendency to decrease as the generations progress, but i don't necessarily believe that the earlier generations were the better ones.

-Jared-
January 30th, 2012, 11:30 AM
This might shock some people who know me, considering they would know how much of a nostalgia nut I am, but I am not a purist. I do thoroughly love the Gen I games and pokemon, but not so much that it makes me think any less of the other gens. All of them have their own charms; 1 for being the original and starting off the great Pokemon adventure, 2 for having Typhlosion having Kanto and Johto, and having a fun-to-explore time skip, 3 for rehauling the internal mechanics and adding a whole bunch of new features, 4 for wi-fi and battle frontier, 5...I just started 5, so lemme get back to you on that. xD

But yeah, as you see, all the gens have their own things that make them fin, so I can't say I like Gen 1 more than any other for that reason. That said, purists have every right to be purists, so I just let them be.

Deliciousfruit233
February 14th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't really call myself a purist. Pretty much all the generations had at least a few pokemon that I pretty much hate.

Chaos Rush
February 14th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Definitely not lol. I actually don't like how the Gen I games take a while to be immersed in it. The beginning areas (from Pallet Town to Mt. Moon) is just so boring... the later games feel more exciting (except FR/LG).

I'd say my favorite Generation so far is III.

Archenoth
February 14th, 2012, 11:18 PM
One shouldn't fault anything merely for the sake of nostalgia. Granted, it's a common bias, but if you want to compare something truly, compare them as though you have never seen either before.

I am the farthest thing from a Pokemon Purist. I can understand them, but I would hope that they try to look at the newer generations with as little bias as possible.

Kano Shuuya
February 16th, 2012, 01:16 AM
I'm definitely not. xD;

Actually, Unova holds the record for favorite amount of Pokemon in a generation. In gen one, even though that was the original, and I was so enthralled with it before, there's only a handful or two of gen one Pokemon that I actually like. I found most of them weird, or unappealing in whatever ways. I enjoyed the story, and the anime more than the Pokemon themselves back then, and even the stories have been outdone by better games / anime seasons since then. So no, I'm not a purist.

And my opinion on them, is that I feel bad for them that they can't properly enjoy any of the newer games, since they can't shake them being just as fun, or better than the first gen games. Same goes for fans of the original anime, and etc. D: Maybe to them, gen one really is still the best, but I still feel bad that they're missing the joy of so many of the newer gens.

Talli
February 16th, 2012, 01:54 AM
to tell you the truth I am not all my favorite pokemon are Hoenn and shinoh pokemon.
I actully made a 'purist' a fan of pokemon white

Hikamaru
February 16th, 2012, 02:17 AM
I'm not a Pokemon Purist, my fave generation happens to be the 5th Gen cos the Unova Region introduced some of my fave Pokemon.

My opinion on Pokemon Purists is because of their Kanto obsession, they have to get over it and discover the other regions. I found most Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova Pokemon to be more awesome than Kanto.

My first generation (game-wise) was 3rd Gen (Hoenn) so you can tell I'm not one of those who only love Kanto Pokemon.

Pokemon Purists - We only love Kanto Pokemon. We take down fans of Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova cos their Pokemon sucked. Original 151 FTW!

That's what I think of Pokemon Purists. It's a cute slogan I made up describing Kanto fans who hate other regions.

I love all the regions other than Kanto actually.

Here's my ranking of regions overall:

1st - Unova (I loved the Pokemon! So many cute ones!)
2nd - Sinnoh (Cool Pokemon, the only downside was D/P being so slow compared to Platinum)
3rd - Johto (Better nostalgia cos I played SoulSilver)
4th - Hoenn (My first region game-wise, the Pokemon did look odd at first but I got to liking them)
5th - Kanto (Their Pokemon don't look as cute as Pokemon from other regions)

Yes, you can basically say I'm a Unova Fangirl.

Hybrid Trainer
February 19th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I suppose I'm kind of classed as a Pokemon Purist. My favourite region is Johto with Kanto coming in second and Hoen third. I hated Sinnoh and Unovo even more so but I haven't been able to put my finger on it. It may be the way the art style has changed seeing as the art style has always played a big part in games for me.

EB
February 19th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Personally, I am biased when it comes to which games I enjoy the most (G1 + 2), but I wouldn't call them the best games in the series just because of the nostalgia 'n' such attached to them. I think the thing that turned me away from G4 + 5 was the fact that you could just feel the fact that Nintendo had kept their audience focused mainly towards 5-12 year-olds, with no recognizable elements to suggest they know us older players even exist.

In the earlier games this wasn't so easily distinguishable, but now it seems that the level of "yeah, I get it..." has reached its breaking point--at least for me as a player. I mean, shouldn't we all know by now what is implied in playing a Pokémon game? There's just too much hand-holding in the later generations where it wasn't really necessary, I guess. And personally, I grow weary of all of the cut scenes as well, but that's probably something of an personal problem.

Also, G4 went overkill with the experimenting. It's as if they threw together all of these extra ideas into the game to see the reception without actually doing their job: studying what the best ways would be to get people to purchase enjoy their game prior to game development.

G1 + 2 did a good job of respecting the player's intelligence without actually removing boundaries in any way. And in comparing to the designs of the newer Pokémon to the old... well, let's just say that it's not hard to see the changes in the level of creativity, through certain examples in particular.

Yellow Silver Nostalgia
February 20th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I think I prefer the earlier games because they weren't too serious back then. It's what being young is all about - not taking life seriously and just having fun, and battling Pokemon against each other was a great way to do that. But then when they brought in storylines about cataclysmic events and introduced Pokemon that controlled the weather and time and space, it all got a bit too serious, and ruined the fun in my opinion.

I mean, just take a look through the Pokedex, and the Pokemon get more and more depressed with each generation, especially in the latest two where hardly any of them are smiling. I prefer to think that Pokemon are having fun battling against each other than to think they're slaves used for people's entertainment.

Slowbroking
February 20th, 2012, 04:00 PM
New Pokemon are cool, in a different kind of way. The Pokemon in older generations had that sort of "Pokemony" feel to them that the ones today are missing. Now, they are more like these strange looking deity types, like the space goat creator, Arceus. I personaly like the newer generations just like the older ones, but I can see why others might think otherwise,

Arc
February 20th, 2012, 04:13 PM
LOL. I'm not even close to Gen 1 purist. Since, Gen 2 is my favourite. I do think Gen 1 is pretty good in some aspects, but in other aspects such as limited bag space, turn me off.

Autobot Silverwynde
February 28th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Definitely not. I've played the first Gen and I enjoy it, but I can't claim that it's the be-all/end-all of Pokemon.

As to how I feel about purists, I don't really care, as long as they don't try and tell me that Gen V sucks. The moment someone starts up with that, I tune them out. It took five Gens before I got two real, honest to goodness favorites so no, the original aren't the greatest ever.

Jeremy
March 4th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Well sweeties, I'm definitely not a Pokémon purist. I enjoyed the first gen games to death, but in my opinion second generation was the best, Pokémon wise and gameplay wise. It expanded on what we already had with first gen such as giving us new evolutions and pre-evolutions. Gameplay wise the night and day mechanic was just breathtaking when I was younger. The introduction of shiny Pokémon was nice. Pokérus made me concern on raising my Pokémon even more stat wise. Also the fact Johto is connected to Kanto made things even better. Plus gen 2 debut my favorite gym leader of all time! ^^

Even after gen 2, the battle system got more refined and the Pokémon end up looking more interesting.

As for purist, they are entitled to their opinion.

EarthWolfblade
March 4th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I loved Gen1 but I'm not really a purist xD

Joshawott
March 4th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Absolutely not. I guess I can't really blame Pokémon purists, though, because people find many things from the 80s and 90s hard to let go of (i.e. 8-bit music).

Cherrim
March 13th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Whenever I go back and try to play gen 1, either the originals or the remakes, I find it very difficult. :( I just... don't really like them much anymore, haha. So I'm definitely not a purist. (I feel sooort of the same way about gen 2 but I could probably replay HGSS again if only to have a Cherrim following me once more.)

Purists usually annoy me because the worst ones are the ones who won't even try the newer games. No. You don't get such a vocal opinion if you won't even give something a try. You can't form a proper opinion without the experience. >:( Go away. (I am absolutely fine with the ones who do play the later games and still just don't like them, though.)

Thomas
March 13th, 2012, 09:54 PM
I don't have a DS, so I can't really play any of the newer games, but I do enjoy replaying Blue (or sometimes Leaf Green) the most, and I do believe it is still the best game. So yeah, I guess I am a "Pokemon Purist". I'm not ashamed of it though. It was a big part of my childhood...more than any other game that came after it. I think if anything it has more of a sentimental value to me.

EGKangaroo
March 15th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Well, I think under the definition given, I am a light pokémon purist. I do certainly believe that the designs of the first generation were among the best, and have thusfar not been topped by some of the other generations as a whole, but this is not to say I despise other generations. I like many pokémon, and have favourites from second, third, fourth as well as fifth generation just as well as I have some from the first generation, and I most certainly enjoy playing the games no matter what generation. Sure, my preference will go out to the first generation for nostalgic reasons; it's been an important part of my childhood and I'd be stupid to deny so, but I do not despise the other generations or even completely deny their existence like some more hardcore purists do.

Taro Tanaka
March 15th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I ain't a purist. If anything, ever Generation has at least one Pokemon that's well suited to beat up all of the others'. I might be wrong, but that's what my team leads me to believe. And with many different and strategic combinations possible, combining Pokemon from different Generations isn't a bad thing, so staying with only one Generation can cause a bit of a backlash for those who're into competitive battling.

LuckyLucario2000
March 15th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I've been getting into BW but I will always prefer the 1, 2, and 3rd generations of Pokemon. But the 1st and 2nd gens are outdated by their remakes. The only reason I would get them is if I were a collector.

TruePokeFan
June 21st, 2014, 02:31 PM
That definition is biased and untrue. I've been around since the beginning of Pokemon, and while I do think that the first two generations are best, it has NOTHING to do with nostalgia. The people who enjoy the later generations are usually the ones who are victims of nostalgia, because more often then not, they are younger kids who discovered pokemon through later gen games. They are the ones who have a warped perspective because they can't understand how subsequent generations robbed pokemon of what made it great in the first place. Now, I was a kid when gen 3 came out. I was as excited as when gen 2 came out, but ended up hating it. Why? Not because of nostalgia. Because gen 3 and the subsequent generations simply do not match the tone of the first two. The pokemon themselves were insanely dirivitive of previous generations to the point of being superfluous. Their designs didnt fit the aesthetic or tone of the established pokemon world and the games entire plots be and all about the legendarily, which, by the way were COMPLETELY subpar. Now, in fairness there are some weak links in previous gens, but not nearly as many. And I'm more inclined to accept the earlier weak links because they were initial mistakes. I can't accept a character that is the same mistake all over again. Gen 2 also slides in my opinion because it is clear that at least some of the pokemon were conceieved of from the start, ex: Ho-Oh. Now, the subsequent gens do have some cool maps, fun new features, enhanced graphics, and cool technology-- I can't take that away. But where I lose it is that the new pokemon are merely a half assed piece of marketing strategy. Game freak believed that new characters equals sustained interest and therefore, increased sales. It doesn't. They should have spent their time and energy on improved gameplay rather than increase the number of pokemon. Lets face it, no matter what generation it comes from, no one tires of their favorite pokemon. But I would genuinely be willing to accept ALL of the new generation pokemon and all the updates if it were not for one set of legendaries: Arceus and the creation trio. NO. I REJECT THIS. Even fans of the new generations hate this. And I don't hate it because of the idea of God. Spiritual themes have always been prevelant throughout the series. I hate it because it cheapens everything. The sense of mystery is part of what made pokemon so fun. They killed it by needlessly addressing an existential issue by creating a (really poor) pokemon that is supposedly responsible for creating the universe. If you can't see how stupid this is, you are blinded. And I don't even need to go into why arceus is stupid--you already know. Also, the idea of humans having evolved from pokemon begs the question as to why humans are not the submissive species. Pokemon was always larger than life, but Arceus removes any sense of connectedness with the pokemon universe because it takes it into the realm of unrelatabity.

pippitha
June 21st, 2014, 02:40 PM
I guess I'm not, because I play all the games. I do think the originals are the best. The main character was so awesome that they made him a rival in a future generation. The main rival of the first games was pretty great. He made you WANT to kick his butt. They had the best technology, even if they never expanded on it (Bill turned into a POKEMON, why is this marvelous invention not a part of the newer games???) I thought the whole Lavender town/ Marowak thing was probably the saddest thing in all of pokemon history. And then of course the nostalgia. All the glitches made for great fun, to me anyways. I also liked the simple Mew as the main legendary, and the pokemon all having 'evolved' from mew. (containing every pokemon's dna). I don't like how all the next generations added new legendaries that completely cancelled out Mew's reason for existing, since these legendaries are about creating time and space and all that. I liked it better when it wasn't about pokemon gods.

But I do love the new generations as well, even if a lot of the designs are dumb. I get excited every time a new game comes out.
The people who only play the first generation, I understand that wanting to hold onto the good memories. I do feel sad that they are missing out on the great new things the newer games have though.

TruePokeFan
June 21st, 2014, 02:47 PM
Also, if you weren't around when the original games came out, you have NO basis for comparison because you have NO IDEA just how monumental they were. Even the concept of saving a game was relatively new back then. Pokemon was like an acid trip back then.

Maleficent
June 21st, 2014, 02:48 PM
Slightly.
But only because I don't feel like a key-chain or an ice cream cone qualifies as a monster.
There have always been some questionable pokemon throughout the games,
but the most recent two(?) generations are just unacceptable, IMO.

Gen1 wasn't the ultimate best.
Various pokemon and plot points from different main pokemon games were great.
Just don't ask me to play B&W or X&Y.

adventure
June 21st, 2014, 02:55 PM
Whoa, this thread is from 2012, not sure the people who once made it still are interested. I still wonder how new members manage to find really old threads sometimes xD

But since several people posted and seemed to find this interesting, we'll just shrug and keep it open, shall we? Quoting the opening post for reference here though:

A Pokémon Purist is someone who typically holds the belief that the first generation is the best because it was the first, and usually hold that belief based on nostalgia and sentimentality. They believe they had the best towns, they had the best Pokémon, they had the best story line, they had the best gym leaders, they had the best replay value, etc. Some refuse to buy games of later generations because of this, some continue to buy them and play though them (thoroughly enjoying them), but still hold the belief that Gen I was better and they'll usually never change their opinion.

Are you a Pokémon Purist? If so, how much of one are you? If not, what is your opinion of Pokémon Purists?

curiousnathan
June 21st, 2014, 07:40 PM
No. The First Generation isn't definitely not the best. I don't really sit with one generation. I like a range of Pokemon from a range of different Gens. While I might have more favourites in one Pokemon era than another, I do like a lot of things from each generation.

adventure
June 22nd, 2014, 01:39 AM
Nah, Gen I wasn't the best but it had many great pokémon. Some of the best, and also the pokémon ensemble as a whole was pretty great. And the anime back then was something else :) so in some ways, I'll always love old Kanto.

But long gone are the days when I refused to believe that Steelix was a real thing and evo of Onix, haha. I really didn't believe my friend at first and thought his Silver version was a fake somehow.

SmashBrony
June 22nd, 2014, 09:48 AM
I have been playing pokemon ever since "the good ol'days" of Red & Blue.

I have fond memories of playing Red & if I were to play it today, I'm sure I would enjoy it just as much as I do X & Y.

But I don't belive that any generation of pokemon is any better than the others, as I can find things I like/dislike for each gen.

As for the so-called "purists"...

While it's good for people to appercate the classics, they're missing out by not trying new things.

I betcha that if they ACTUALLY did try the newer games, they'd like them just as much.
EDITED IN:
Well, maybe not AS much, but still would enjoy them.
(perhaps this is what they're afaid of?)

Pepperton
June 22nd, 2014, 11:35 AM
Actually, the first generation is one of my least favorites. I used to hate it, but over the years it's grown on me a bit. Something about the region just doesn't please me, and I always felt that the Pokemon weren't very imaginative. Of course, it's the first ever generation of Pokemon, so it's unfair for me to have such judgement, but in comparison to newer Pokemon, I can't help but favor the more recent generations. :c

RoreyG
June 22nd, 2014, 12:07 PM
A Pokémon Purist is someone who typically holds the belief that the first generation is the best because it was the first, and usually hold that belief based on nostalgia and sentimentality. They believe they had the best towns, they had the best Pokémon, they had the best story line, they had the best gym leaders, they had the best replay value, etc. Some refuse to buy games of later generations because of this, some continue to buy them and play though them (thoroughly enjoying them), but still hold the belief that Gen I was better and they'll usually never change their opinion.:

I have a problem with that definition, especially the part in bold. Being a so called "purist" doesn't only just relate to fans of Gen 1 or even Gen 2. Anybody can be a purist of any generation (particularly the ones they started out in, be it Gen 1 or even Gens 5 or 6). I've even met fans who've started in Gen 3 who fit that exact description when it comes to R/S/E. To say that this level of obstinate determination exists with just fans of the first generation is narrow minded and wrong.

That said, I'm no purist. I've played at least one main series game from every generation and there are things that I've liked and equally disliked about them. However, from my personal experience, I will contend that the first 2 Generations are the best that I have played (even though I love their respective remakes).

My analysis is thus:

>Graphics
The only thing that has consistently "improved" in the newer generations are the graphics. You CANNOT proportionately or fairly compare 8 bit graphics from 1996 to the 3D standard of graphics of 2014. Obviously the newer graphics are gonna be better.

>Mechanics
It's incorrect to say that the game mechanics have "improved". The correct term is developed ("improved" connotes change for the better whereas "developed" can simply refer to changes made over time). The gaming mechanics have developed to become more complex in some areas (natures, physical/ special split, EV training and IV breeding) and make the game easier in other areas (Audino training, re-usable TMs, Gen 6 Exp Share). Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on the player themselves. Competitive Battlers live for the more complex aspects and find that the aspects which serve to make the game easier take the fun out of it. Casual Players who only play the main games for relaxation would be turned off by the more complex aspects (they would find that looking for the right natures and such to be too much of a hassle and would take alot of the fun from it). Personally, I accept the benefits of the later developments and the more complex developments doesn't really affect me in the slightest. (Hence why I can appreciate the remakes.)

>Story
The newer generations TRY to place more emphasis on a more complex story. In my humble opinion, they try and fail. Since Gen 3 (and subsequently Gens 4 and 6), they've been pushing these grandiose, convoluted plots to use Legendary Pokemon to destroy the world. It's so nauseatingly cliche, it becomes more of a bother to complete that part of the main story than it is fun.

Gen 5's story was an unexpected change of pace but too preachy for my taste.

The Gen 1 (and Gen 2) storyline was simple, yet satisfying. It had three defined goals (to complete the Pokedex, to defeat the EVIL Team Rocket (NOT misguided, confused or foolish), and to beat your rival to become a Pokemon League Champion). All of them were well paced and sufficiently satisfying once accomplished.

>Villains
Teams Aqua and Magma are pretty much a big joke. They're a bunch of radical environmentalists with no sense of reality. Honestly people, it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist (see what I dd there) to know that if you turn the planet into either a barren wasteland or a waterworld that it would cause the extinction of almost all living beings. Archie and Maxie were morons and their Admins and Grunts were fools for following them.

Team Galactic seem threatening at first, but Cyrus just wound up being an self righteous, egotistical, lunatic who didn't actually think his plan through. Say he succeeded in destroying the world and remaking it in his ideal image. How are you going to rule? more so, how do you and your small band of followers expect to survive and thrive? You've basically wiped out every skilled professional from the face of the earth and there would be no real order or infrastructure. I reason that it would be a pain in the ass to get anything done. Cyrus would seem incompetent, there would be discord and later anarchy. Eventually, they would all just die off anyway.

Team Plasma under Ghetsis is probably the second most evil organization. Ghetsis had manipulated a child and made him the figure-head of a group of people who thought they were doing the right thing. He also nearly succeeded his goal. The problem lies again with Ghetsis' short sightedness. What happens after you become the most powerful person in Unova? My guess is that he'd probably end up like Scar in Lion King; a bored, egotistical douchebag.

Team Flare pretty much fall under the same bracket as those previously mentioned.

Team Rocket under Giovanni is the most evil and effective team in Pokemon for the following reasons:

1. Giovanni. He is intelligent, ruthless, powerful; he's the badass amongst evil bosses and he keeps everything together.

2. They are smart. Instead of having the convoluted and cliched plan to destroy the world, the hierarchy of Team Rocket knows that true power lies in controlling the socioeconomic system of a country. They essentially control the socioeconomic hub of Kanto, Celedon City, thereby controlling Kanto's economy and stability and by extension, its' populace. Added to that, Giovanni has placed himself in the inner circle of Kanto's state authority. He's a Gym Leader, an essential part of the Pokemon League thereby putting him in the know and a couple of steps ahead of the law enforcement looking to stop Team Rocket.

3. They have a realistic endgame that they actually succeed in; making a profit. As I've said, they control the economy of Kanto. They also have a monopoly in the market for rare and valuable items. The illegality and cruelty surrounding how they obtain these items make them even more valuable and that makes Team Rocket even more wealthy.

4. The Grunts. the Grunts of every other team are essentially misguided fools. Rocket Grunts, on the other hand, exemplify what is means to be the most evil and despicable beings on the planet. They do evil; steal other trainers Pokemon, mutilate Slowpokes, kill Cubones for their skulls and a slew of other deeds all in the name of profit and power. As if that wasn't bad enough, they also admit to their evil deeds and take pleasure in them.

>Music
Even though the newer soundtracks are clearer, the 8 bit soundtrack is the most iconic and most memorable of all of the soundtracks. You hear it and instantly think Pokemon.

>Glitches
The Mew glitch saved the Pokemon franchise!!! When the games were originally released in Japan, they had modest sales. However, when a player discovered that a Secret Legendary had been programmed into the game, sales skyrocketed, Pokemania was developed and the franchise we all know and love flourished.

Apart from that, glitches were part of the games' charm and stirred the interest of players back then long enough for them to try and keep finding new surprises.

>It had the Most Heart
This is the most important point. For Satoshi Tajiri and everyone else involved since the beginning, it was a labor of love that they risked everything on and went through all sorts of hell to bring to fruition. If you were playing it back then or if you know the history even now, you could feel the love and effort that went into it and regardless of how outdated it may seem, you can still appreciate it for its influence and legacy.

Gaming, however, like all entertainment media, is subjective. A game is only as good as the effect it has on the player playing it and everyone is different. You can't be a critic of any medium of entertainment unless you understand that entertainment is subjective in nature. Something is a fact when it can be quantifiably proven to be a reality. You ABSOLUTELY CANNOT quantifiably measure how much a person enjoys a medium of entertainment, hence, IT IS SUBJECTIVE.

If I get more enjoyment from the Gen 1 or Gen 2 games than I do when I play the Gen 5 games (which through some parts feels like a chore), then who are you to tell me that the games that I enjoy are inferior to the games that you enjoy.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, I respect that. However, it is wrong to assume that everyone who likes Gen 1 the best are as ignorant as described in the definition given. It works both ways for fans of any of the other generations.

LusoTrainer
June 22nd, 2014, 12:15 PM
A Pokémon Purist is someone who typically holds the belief that the first generation is the best because it was the first, and usually hold that belief based on nostalgia and sentimentality.

Who made that definition up?

Scotash!
June 22nd, 2014, 03:21 PM
I love Gen 1 don't get me wrong, it has sentimental meaning to me. In no way would I say I'm a purist though, I won't sit here and tell you everything bar it is rubbish because that itself would be a complete lie. Intgink a lot if the so called "Purists" are of the mindset that no matter what, it will never be as good and therefor don't really give things (games, anime) a fair chance. Their minds already made up.

In that respect, not me, I'm not in that mindset when it comes to being a Pokemon fan.

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
June 25th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I'm not personally, despite the fact that I grew up with Gen 1 and adored it and it was the reason I fell in love with Pokémon in the first place, I'd say I'm actually more partial to Gen 2. Having said that, I wouldn't be a Gen 2 purist either cause I'm open to all Gens and understand that the strengths/weaknesses of certain Gens are made up for in other ones. I don't mind purists of any Gen tbh, it's fun to discuss why they feel that way about their preferred Gen - just as long as they're willing to listen to me too lol! :)

Maserati777
June 25th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I agree with most of what TruePokeFan said. I do love the first generation. With the exception of Typhlosion and Blaziken, Gen 1 is the only generation that contains fire pokemon I actually like. I can't say the later gens(3-6) are bad though since I'm not familar with them at all, at least gamewise, not Pokemon wise.)

Gen 1 is the generation I grew up with, I watched Pokemon every Saturday on Kids WB. I consider some Gen 2 pokemon to fit in with gen 1's pokemon so I usually lump it into Gen 1. But after 2 it seemed Pokemon was going in a completely different direction. They started copying old pokemon and giving them new names, I mean the bunny pokemon are all pretty much the same.

I also didn't like how the names got more complicated, and the new pokemon look more like robots to me.

pokemonroundhouse
June 25th, 2014, 06:34 PM
I hack all my rom to only have the original 151

Trogd0r917
June 26th, 2014, 01:47 PM
I honestly do not understand why people who hate everything after a certain generation (usually 1 or 3) would go on a pokémon site. While I like many others wasn't overly impressed with Black and White I still played them and everything after that. Other than X and Y being way too easy I liked everything after Black and White a lot better.

While I wasn't a huge fan of Black and White I didn't hate them either, I just wasn't overly fond of most of the new pokémon (though there was a few I did like) or the new graphics style. They did however do one thing right by finally making TMs reusable.

X and Y made further improvements by making the dragon type less overpowered and by making it much easier to obtain competitively usable pokémon. It should also be mentioned that Diamond and Pearl added the much needed physical/special split.

If you only like the first 151 or 386 or whatever that's fine. Just don't go on a pokémon site for the sole purpose of complainig about everything after that.