PDA

View Full Version : Least Favourite Starter Evolution Line

Joshawott
March 29th, 2012, 01:03 PM
All starters are known for having solid evolution lines to get beginners and veterans alike through the main game, I think we can all agree on that. But if you had to say, which one is your least favourite and why?

Mentalii
March 31st, 2012, 02:57 AM
Tepig-Pygmite-Emboar. The evolution line that shouldn't have existed... The fire/fighting type that we didn't need...
Moreover their design are horrible. Emboar is scaring and ugly. So much that it's almost funny.

HoodieDoodie
March 31st, 2012, 03:15 AM
Its hard for me, since I quite a few. Gen II by far had the best starters (love them all, and Quilava is one of my favourite pokemon ever) and Gen II had the worst. I'd say my least favourite evo line is Turtwig - Grotle - Torterra, because they are slow and are frankly ugly. The only one that would be worth having in a team is Torterra because of the ground moves.
Other really sucky ones Are Chimchar +, Tepig + and Oshawatt. But Oshawatt's evos are awesome, so I'm not dissing him that much. Dewott is certainly the best starter evo there is in Gen V.

Alpha King
March 31st, 2012, 01:06 PM
The whole Oshawott line just let me down a lot. It wasn't that bad, but it really wasn't anything special at all.

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
April 1st, 2012, 12:11 PM
Chimchar, Mudkip and Tepig lines I'm not overly fond of, particularly Chimchar's and Mudkip's.

Aces923
April 1st, 2012, 12:14 PM
Piplups evolution line i really dislike !

The reason is. nothing to do with power or type. I really really just don't like the look of them. Piplups fine but the other two WOW !

Taro Tanaka
April 1st, 2012, 12:16 PM
I don't like Mudkip's evolutionary line. It just brings back lost of horrible, rotten memories. Also, it's very weak to almost every Grass-type ut there.

Fizzay
April 1st, 2012, 12:20 PM
Piplup's line....Was just...No. =/

ShinyUmbreon189
April 1st, 2012, 12:24 PM
I did not like Chimchar's at all, it's pretty much just a remake of Torchic's. You can't say you hate Kanto's because they are 1, 4, 7 out of 600 or so. So they started it all.

Nomine
April 1st, 2012, 12:35 PM
Ever since G/S/C, I never particularly liked Chikorita's evolutionary line. I guess it's because I never really had success in battling with it. It's plant/flower design didn't really appeal to me either.

AWsquared
April 1st, 2012, 12:43 PM
Chimchar is my least favorite starter so I really dislike it's evolution line too. A fire monkey doesn't seem very fitting to be a starter Pokemon to me.

PlatinumDude
April 1st, 2012, 02:36 PM
I don't like the Chikorita line much. Sure, they're cute and all, but they don't really learn anything good via level-up (aside from good support moves).

Timbjerr
April 2nd, 2012, 01:17 PM
The Maganium family. By far.

With this sole exception, every starter goes from looking cute and innocent at the lowest level to becoming an intimidating-looking beast ready to **** things up at their highest level. It's a tradition that hasn't been broken but once.

Meganium is the farthest thing from "intimidating." It looks no less innocent than the unevolved Chikorita in a way.

Add to this the statistical build of a support pokémon (when every other starter family have the stats to be a sweeper or a tank), and Meganium becomes just awkward to use strategically. :/

Granted, I'm aware that the reasons I listed as why I hate it are perhaps the same reason a Meganium lover would use to justify loving it. Different strokes for different folks, they say. It's just not my cup of tea. XD

Hikamaru
April 2nd, 2012, 02:16 PM
I hate Charmander's line the most cos of Ash's Charizard disobeying him in the anime.

I hate all the Kanto starters but especially Charmander and its evos.

Kenshin5
April 2nd, 2012, 02:49 PM
I did not like Chimchar's at all, it's pretty much just a remake of Torchic's. You can't say you hate Kanto's because they are 1, 4, 7 out of 600 or so. So they started it all.
Apparently not considering the poster prior to me. I never understood how people are "supposed" to not dislike mons that started it all. No I don't dislike any of the Gen I starters but they have just as much mah pokemon across the broad as any other gen imo.

For me it is Chikorita line, not one of the pokemon in the line appealed to me appearance wise or battle wise. Not to mention I really didn't care for Gen II starters as a whole. A close second would be Snivy line, but I actually somewhat like Snivy and Servine, Serperior though just ruins the whole line for me though.

arbok
April 3rd, 2012, 01:13 AM
Tepig looks cool but when it evolves. No, just no. Other then that I've got no really problems with starters, 'cept not being fond of Torchick's either.

Giraffe
April 3rd, 2012, 01:42 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Chimchar ~ It's just never appealed to me. & Chimchar in the anime... just ew.

Hilbert
April 3rd, 2012, 06:25 AM
Tepig/Pignet/Emboar... Emboar should have been Fire/fight and it is seems somehow ugly...

Libra
April 3rd, 2012, 06:45 AM
Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape...

Their designs and stats are horrible for a Fire type, as the best attack for it is Flare Blitz, while Eruption/Flamethrower/Fire Blast are being thrown away at this line...

Yoshikkko
April 3rd, 2012, 07:02 AM
Why's everyone hatin on Infernape line?! They are p badass you know!!

Anyways couldn't decide between Torterra/Empoleon line or Serperior, but went with the latter in the end cause really I'd have anything rather than them lol.

bewbs
April 5th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Don't care for the tepig line much.

Mr. Downstairs
April 7th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I hate the Tepig/Pignite/Emboar line for no rational reason.

Turn-it
April 9th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Snivy got my vote. At the end this evolutionary line, I felt like Serperior's stats were lacking horribly as a starter.

Ephemeral Euphoria
April 9th, 2012, 11:23 AM
The Oshawott line was horribly disappointing for me in all honesty, nothing really special stood out when it came to that line imo besides from Razor Shell but Waterfall was better to begin with and no access to Shell Smash or Earthquake made me want to cry.

Zephele
April 9th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Wasn't much of a fan of Serperior. I think it looks cool design wise, but it didn't really pull its weight when I used one in my team.

Actually, I found all the starters in Gen 5 to be pretty underwhelming. Which is a shame, since I really liked their first-stage designs...

Kazoki
April 10th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Well i liked Chikorita
I liked Bayleef aswell but Meganium
is just not good looking i think they should reedit it

Ardos
April 13th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I'm going to go with Piplup's evolutionary line. They're all ugly :<

viccuh
April 16th, 2012, 12:23 PM
A chick evolving into a weird looking chicken and eventually becomes the Bruce Lee of chickens. Even Blaziken can't give this evolution line enough coolness to be anywhere near the other starters. Although Chimchar's line is a good second.

Mr Cat Dog
May 12th, 2012, 08:52 AM
While I don't particularly like Grass Pokemon - and assumed I'd pick a Grass line to answer this poll - it's actually the Totodile line that I really dislike most of all. Partly because they're all so ugly, partly because their movesets are so crappy, but mainly - MAINLY - because of Feraligatr's terrible, horrible name. It joins Conkeldurr in the 'Worst Pokemon names ever!' category, and drags the whole line down.

psyanic
May 12th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I hate the Chikorita line. Hate it. I never found them useful for just about anything, and the one time I did use it, I boxed it after the second gym. I also hate the Tepig line. Emboar looks weird, and I thought it was the freakiest looking starter Pokemon.

Plasmette
May 12th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I was never a big fan of the Unova Starters. Snivy and Oshowatt grew on me...but Tepig. Hes ugly, his evolutions suck, and A THIRD FireFighter in a row? WHY?

Azure
May 12th, 2012, 03:55 PM
It's definitely non of the Hoenn line considering all 3 are great, if I had to chose 1 it would he the Chimchar line. As cool as they may look they just don't really appeal to me and are least favourites out of the lot.

Squirrel
May 12th, 2012, 06:21 PM
The Totodile line. I've always hated this line. They look ugly and ruin Water types imo. D: There's nothing really interesting about them and they just get uglier and uglier. Totodile is cute, but that's where the positives of the family ends. Other than that, I don't really hate any of the starter lines. I'm indifferent about Mudkip and Torchic, but the rest are all awesome c:

Archenoth
May 12th, 2012, 09:16 PM
The Totodile line. I've always hated this line. They look ugly and ruin Water types imo. D: There's nothing really interesting about them and they just get uglier and uglier. Totodile is cute, but that's where the positives of the family ends. Other than that, I don't really hate any of the starter lines.

Wow... I didn't even need to type out my thoughts, you appear to have conveniently transcribed them for me.

Totodile's line is the only line that I never really liked any form in it.

Cherrim
May 21st, 2012, 10:20 AM
Chimchar. ._. It's the only line where I don't like a single Pokemon in it. Every other starter group at least has something I like and would use. This one? Nope. I dislike every single member.

Atomic Pirate
June 15th, 2012, 03:37 PM
The Piplup line is crap. It looks like crap, and it fights like crap. I would have said the Mudkip line, but I liked that line until a certain internet meme killed it for me. And seriously, what's up with all the Totodile hate? I like that line quite a bit.

Ninjagon
June 15th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I Hate Chikorita's line. Their base stats aren't of much use, they can't hold their own against anything unless they are of a higher level. But seriously who thought of the names? They were made to make fun of. Look;
- Chikorita = Chikoretard
- Bayleef = Gayleef
- Meganium = Megaynium

Also Piplup's line doesn't appeal to me either, despite that i have used it on several runs.

Oryx
June 16th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I always found Treecko's line so much more boring than every other line in that generation. :( And since I like all the others that leaves poor Treecko alone!

Ultimate Uchiha
June 19th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Chikorita's line is definitely the one I can't stand. I don't mind defensive minded Pokemon but, a defensive Pokemon with a terrible movepool is something completely different and that's exactly what you get with Chikorita.

Azure Rathalδs
June 21st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Charmander line easily.

"Yeah, I'm totally going to use the one which has half HP with stealth rocks. It would be like I only had 5 Pokemon, and I just chucked in this wannabe Dragonite thing into the mix just because. And who cares if it was useful in mystery dungeon because of heat wave. Can't hit anything to save it's life."

Ok, I kid, but Charziard is horribly underpowered for one of the most iconic Pokemon in the entirety of the games.

Renegade1
June 21st, 2012, 03:07 PM
Disliked/dislike the Mudkip line

Obrusnine
June 21st, 2012, 03:12 PM
Tepig, ugh.

Originally I hated all of the Gen 5 starters. But Snivy's really cool and Oshawotts just so adorable, they kinda just grow on you.

Chimcharguy
June 21st, 2012, 03:16 PM
What's with all the Chimchar haters? You criticize chimchars evolutions, have you seen any if the Gen V starters - fat, ugly pig beast; queerest snake I've ever seen and whatever samurott is (that ain't No otter...)

Lt. Col. Fantastic
June 21st, 2012, 03:24 PM
I didn't like Oshawott. It looks bad. But samurott is okay.

In terms of final forms, Pignite looks ridiculous. So, I dislike it.

Aureol
June 27th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Emboar's line BY FAR.

Which I was really disappointed with. I am one of those earlier-Gen players, but while I wasn't looking forward to the other 2 for this generation, I was really stoked for Tepig's line. But, it failed.

Rivvon
June 27th, 2012, 08:19 PM
It was a close call between Bulbasaur's line and Tepig's line. While I love Bulbasaur and Tepig, I'm not as fond about their evolutions as I am of them.
In the end I chose Bulbasaur's line because I feel that Ivysaur and Venusaur are just all too similar in design for my tastes. I'm not a big fan of the looks of Pignite and Emboar, but at least they have more variation between them.

Childish_Gavino
June 27th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Snivy's evolution line gets on my nerves...not because of looks, I think they look the coolest out of all of Unova's starters. It's because they're so terribly weak...I'm not sure about it's base stats...but I think all it has going for it is speed and defense. I quit and started a new file because I couldn't take using it anymore.

katiedawn121
June 30th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I'm sorry ... I've never been able to like Treecko :( With all of the other starters, even if I don't like the starter itself, I like one of its evolved forms. Not Treecko-Grovyle-Sceptile though.

Olli
July 2nd, 2012, 03:43 PM
Probably a suprise to many, as so many find it adorable, but I never actually liked Piplup nor its evolutionary line. I just never really liked the designs of the three Pokémon, though it's mainly Prinplup that I don't like. The same goes for their typing. The Water/Steel thing just never cut it for me, especially because it doesn't leave you with that many moves compared to other dual typings, and I just generally didn't like the match-up either.

So yeah, Piplup line is probably my least favourite of them all.

Tamaska
July 8th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Tepig family. Love the design of Tepig, But they majorly ****ed up with Pignite and Emboar. I just dont understand how they could give such a bad design for such a good typing...

Aerinoctis
July 8th, 2012, 02:59 PM
The Empoleon line is the only one I've never taken a liking to. I would have chosen Emboar, but I gave it a chance in my most recent play through of White, and it proved to be something that's making me doubt all of my other play throughs of the game.

Katie the Friendly Ghost
July 15th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Definitely the Piplup line. I mean Empoleon was Steel, which was cool, but overall the whole evolution line didn't have many good moves, or stats in my opinion, especially compared to the other two starter lines in Sinnoh.

Retro Gamer'93
July 16th, 2012, 12:31 AM
The one thing that completely screwed up BW for me, Tepig. I used to almost always go with the fire type starter and then the stupid thing is a freaking pig. Not counting the fact that it's another fire/fighting type. The whole evolution line just pisses me off. -.-

zid_sen
July 17th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Piplup/Prinplup/Empoleon,
Piplup and Prinplup not bad, but Empoleon makes the evolution weak.
Why?
Because steel is make fire more strong to us,
that make me always cancel evolution from Prinplup to Empoleon.

Slayr231
July 21st, 2012, 08:53 PM
I like all the starters, but if I HAD to choose one I would choose squirtle. I like them, but wartortle just looked ugly to me. I don't know, just my opinion.

Vital
July 22nd, 2012, 03:03 PM
Tepig's line. It's just pure proof that they're running out of ideas. What really let me down is that the final evolution was a type combo we've seen in another starter. What happened to being unique?

Trixy
August 9th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Treeko's line is the worst because they are ugly and there are better grass types, IMO.
Anyhow, here's my opinion on the starters:

Bulbasaur- Adorable. Inysaur- Kind of cool. Vensaur- How the hell did cute little Bulbasaur turn into an obese toad-cat?
Squirtle- Cute. Wartortle- Almost as cute as Squirtle. Blastoise- Why is there a giant obese blue woman with canons coming out of her back sitting on my evolving Wartortle?... Oh.
Charmander- Cute-ish, I've seen cuter. Charmeleon- Meh. Charizard- ...Meh.

Chikorita- OK. Bayleef- OK. Meganium- Would be darling if she had a more feline figure than dino figure.
Totodile- I almost died it's so cute. Croconaw- Looks like a little fat caveman. Feraligatr- Cool until you look at the jaw.
Cyndaquil- Cute, but needs open eyes. Quilava- Cool. Typhlosion- Kind of cool.

Treeko- Ugly. Grovyle- Pretty color scheme, ugly design. Sceptile- Ugly.
Mudkip- Excuse me sir, you have rubber gloves stuck to your cheeks. Marshtomp- Oh hey, there's no gloves on your cheeks anymore. Now they look like.. Nevermind. Swampert- Ugly.
Torchic- Hideous little bugger, aren't ya? I feel so sorry for you I want to euthanize you. Combusken- Looks like a menally challenged chicken. Blaziken- Bell-bottoms, talaons, and a beak that goes up his face? Ugh.

Turtwig- I know this line is going to be trouble. Grotle- Oh God.. Torterra- Not as bad as I expected! Still hideous.
Piplup- Pretty cute. Prinplup- Ugly. Empoleon- Gross. And there is so much potential for appealing design with a penguin -sigh.-
Chimchar- Cute, I'd probably love it if I were a monkey fan. Monferno- Decent. Monferno- Decent. I might actually like it if it weren't for all the 'stuff' (The gold swirls, the shirt-thingy, the giant red eyebrow.)

Snivy- Cute. Servine- You would look better with no limbs. Serperior- Awesome.
Oshawott- Would be adorable without the big nose, but at the same time it adds to uniqueness. Dewott- Oh my god, so cool! Samurott- What the.. How, just how could we go from cute otter to cuter otter to this crap? It doesn't even look like it belongs in the evolution line!
Tepig- I smell BBQ pork. Pignite- Did Ms.Piggy get 3rd degree burns somehow? Emboar- Dear god, you're ugly.

JaySawn
August 9th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Infernape would be my least favorite; chimchar wasn't too bad , monferno looked like a monkey with clown makeup , infernape looks like an old coot with temperamental issues...

Other than that, it was a great battle pokemon in D/P/Pt (in-game)

~ Jay

Identity
August 9th, 2012, 12:42 AM
It has 100% have to be the Chikorita line.
Meganium is more or less useless in every possible way and is really the only starter that is almost entirely a complete hindrance in-game.

I have always found the Grass starter lines to be the weakest, with the exception of Sceptile. Quick, good sp.Atk and it can learn dragon pulse. Not a necessity, but it's something different and can be quite helpful.
As a whole, I would say Gen III had the most well rounded and all around best starters.

I can't fathom why there is so much hate for Infernape. There is so much potential. Consider this as a moveset;
Blaze Kick, Close Combat, Thunder Punch, U-Turn.
Its perfect.

Saturated Hue
August 9th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Tepig -> Pignite -> Emboar, because ugly line is ugly. I like their names though.

Umbr30n
August 9th, 2012, 03:47 AM
They just took the Fire/Fighting combo really far. Seriously, THREE Fire-Fighting combos in a row? That's just too weird for me.

Haddez
August 19th, 2012, 11:30 PM
For me it has to be Turtwig/Grotle/Torterra. Don't get me wrong I love them but they seemed like a redo of Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur (Which is my second favourite)

I surprised so many people hate Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium that is my favourite, but that might be because Chikorita was my very first Pokemon.