PDA

View Full Version : [B2/W2] Starters / The professor

Cello
April 11th, 2012, 10:09 PM
So with the abundance of information, we now know that this game takes place in Unova 2 years later with you playing as an entirely new character in a brand new town.

This raises many questions, but the one that has me most curious is what starters will we be able to choose from and who will we be receiving them from? Perhaps the menacing-looking professor revealed in the recent scans who is said to study Pokemon strength?
Also, will we be choosing from the standard Oshawott, Snivy and Tepig, or perhaps a new lineup of starters?

Discuss.

Khrysta
April 11th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Serperior is in the mock battle scans versus Kyurems. So same Starters.

A member on my Site says the new Prof. is evil. Gives him the same Vibes N did.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
April 11th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Maybe with the ambudance of pokemon in the dex we will be able to pick one out of the 16 (Kanto + Pikachu line, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova)...that'll be incredible if we could :D!

Forever
April 11th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I feel weird that there's a Mareep aaand something else I forgot next to the starters, tbh. Makes me think that there may be more than just our Unova starters :x

HOWEVER, I think we'll probably go back to the boring way of receiving starters OR FINALLY YOU'LL FLY INTO THE REGION OR SOMETHING AND GET GIVEN IT AS A PRESENT AFTERWARDS TOO. :33

Cello
April 11th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Serperior is in the mock battle scans versus Kyurems. So same Starters.

Ah, you got a point about that. Failure to see that = getting tired. x[

As for everyone mentioning the possibility of multiple choice, while I doubt it would happen that would be SO COOL.
I mean, the Unova dex has practically doubled in size. I feel like there should be more choices or at least give us the opportunity to obtain them sooner for our teams.

The idea of having an evil professor is cool too. I feel like it would be a nice change from the norm.

April 11th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Maybe the new prof did something to Hilbert/Hilda...
Or maybe he's actually nice, I mean some found Rowan to be intimidating, heck maybe this guy has a sweet tooth too...

Seriously then dex is huge...the only other dex to have half of it's generation's pokemon was Hoenn with 200 of the 400 at the time...

AWsquared
April 11th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Well assuming from what others have said, and from previous games, we'll have the same starters. It would be strange to me to have something like a Mareep as a starter but I wouldn't mind cause then I could have Ampharos on my team. :D But probably not and they'll go with Snivy, Oshawott and Tepig.

SnowpointQuincy
April 11th, 2012, 11:37 PM
The new Professor discovered that Emboar is a Pure Fire Type after all....
---Is that to much to ask for?

Tropical Sunlight
April 12th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I hope to see the original Kanto starters: Bulbasaur, Charmander & Squirtle.
Do you think there's any likelihood of that?

Iceman3317
April 12th, 2012, 10:56 AM
It would be nice to be able to choose out of a lot. But I do not think we will have all the starters or other pokemon who are not suppose to be starters. But they have thrown so many curve balls at us in 5th Gen. So I wouldn't count it out 100%.

Esper
April 12th, 2012, 11:08 AM
They likely aren't adding new pokemon so there won't be a whole new starter set. You need to be able to get the starters in the game somehow so unless they plan to have someone give you one other than at the start of the game they'll need to keep the starters they already have.

I'd really doubt they would either make the starters something you could find in the wild or not include them in some other catch-able way.

Azure
April 12th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Yeah, that could be a possibility, maybe you chose one of the starters then depending on who you chose you get a gift Pokémon alongside with it Buneary = Tepig, Mareep = Oshawott & Psyduck = Snivy going by the image in the scan.

Killjoy
April 12th, 2012, 11:24 AM
What if they gave you an Emolga that fallows you around, and you had the option of finding the other starters throughout the game, given to you as gifts :P Lol no?

I really hope they do do something creative, or have alternate starters or something, but I doubt it.

Cosmotone8
April 12th, 2012, 11:37 AM
No, not at all. In fact, its perfectly reasonable. But nintendo is too stupid to realize that we've had three fire-fighting starters in a row. And 6 dragon mascots.

TheChaosBlue
April 12th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I see the same starter set, it does take place in the same region, and the resident professor hands out the same three starter pokemon, I don't see that changing.

That professor definitely appears to be different from the norm. The attire looks entirely different from any professor art I've seen, quite possibly part of something bigger...?

SnowpointQuincy
April 12th, 2012, 12:22 PM
No, not at all. In fact, its perfectly reasonable. But nintendo is too stupid to realize that we've had three fire-fighting starters in a row. And 6 dragon mascots.

I'm going to hope and wish for GEN6 starter to be Fire/Fight

Then it is sure not to happen again!
-----

The Professor is up to something.... (what if he has something to do with dream world abilities?)

Tetra
April 12th, 2012, 01:50 PM
What if you recieve all 3 starters and whatever they are? If that were true, it would be pretty awesome.

Count
April 12th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Well, the Unova national dex will contain 300 pokémon. So let's assume it'll be the same +150 as we have now + about 150 others. There's some old pokémon added but the ones revealed don't make 150 together.. so we'd have to get some more old ones revealed as new pokémon seems unlikely to me.

quoted from Serebii:
Within the new Unova Pokédex, which contains a combination of old and new (Unova) Pokémon, Psyduck is #026, Riolu is #033 and Metagross is #254, with other Pokémon such as Tyranitar, Lapras & Arcanine being available.

I'm actually pretty exited, Lapras and Ampharos which are some of my favorites.

As for the starters I'm not yet bored of Snivy and its evolution line but having the same starters does sound like it'd bore me. But again I doubt we're getting new pokémon.

RedJ
April 12th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Maybe the new prof did something to Hilbert/Hilda...

This made me think of Red being frozen throughout the Yellow Arc of Pokemon Special which made me think of this-

So what if the professor unleashed Kyurem and did some stuff, Hubert/Hilda, and maybe even Bianca and Cheren, went to stop him, ended up being frozen(perhaps on purpose- wouldn't want the Legendary Hero getting in the good Prof's experiment, now would we?), and now Unova is slowly being frozen by Kyurem.

Since the professor is researching Pokemon strength, maybe he gives the player and rival starters to see if they can actually overcome a powerful legendary Pokemon like Kyurem.

Or something along those lines. I dunno, just my mind going wild with ideas >_>

Forever
April 12th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Okay guys, general posts related to the professor don't belong here, just put them in how you feel about the new characters thread. Juuust a note!

Anyway, sadly I doubt we'll get all three. Unless it's like a mega easy game, then probably the rest will go to your rival & the opposite protag. :x

Khrysta
April 12th, 2012, 06:55 PM
The poster at the bottom with the Starters and the other three is a giveaway for pre-ordering I don't think it has anything else to do with the games other than that.

voicerocker
April 12th, 2012, 07:11 PM
It's still Unova, so I figure it's safe to say we'll choose from the Unova starters. Though, it could be possible to get a second starter from another region after beating the game like in HG/SS, but that's just a guess.

Marilynasol
April 12th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Starters, we'll still probably have Snivy/Tepig/Oshawott. I've heard somewhere that there is a secret regarding the starters this time, and some people have suggested that Serperior would become a Grass/Psychic (one of the worst typings defense-wise, right up there with Grass/Ice and the Arceus-forbid Ice/Steel), Emboar a Fire/Dark, and Samurott a Water/Fighting. While this is wishful thinking and I highly doubt that the Pokemon Company would change their types (albeit for the better), it is still something to consider. Another, more realistic suggestion would be to have the starters obtained with their "Dream World" ability- then finally we can all have Leaf Storm Super-periors! If not the Snivy/Tepig/Oshawott starters, then I would think it would be second-most sensible for the Unova region for the starters to be Pansage/Pansear/Panpour.

The professor doesn't seem to be a big-bad. But he doesn't seem like a clear-cut good guy either like Oak, Elm, Birch, or Juniper. I can tell already the plot of these games are going to be on an entirely different theme than their predecessors. Particularly, while Black and White focused on Pokemon liberation and freedom from their trainers, this game already seems to suggest it would be more on the raw power of a Pokemon and how it can be used by humans- definitely a much better lead-in for the Musketeer trio.

Khrysta
April 12th, 2012, 08:04 PM

You do realize they did that on purpose right? If not...wow...

Starters, we'll still probably have Snivy/Tepig/Oshawott. I've heard somewhere that there is a secret regarding the starters this time, and some people have suggested that Serperior would become a Grass/Psychic (one of the worst typings defense-wise, right up there with Grass/Ice and the Arceus-forbid Ice/Steel), Emboar a Fire/Dark, and Samurott a Water/Fighting. While this is wishful thinking and I highly doubt that the Pokemon Company would change their types (albeit for the better), it is still something to consider. Another, more realistic suggestion would be to have the starters obtained with their "Dream World" ability- then finally we can all have Leaf Storm Super-periors! If not the Snivy/Tepig/Oshawott starters, then I would think it would be second-most sensible for the Unova region for the starters to be Pansage/Pansear/Panpour.

The professor doesn't seem to be a big-bad. But he doesn't seem like a clear-cut good guy either like Oak, Elm, Birch, or Juniper. I can tell already the plot of these games are going to be on an entirely different theme than their predecessors. Particularly, while Black and White focused on Pokemon liberation and freedom from their trainers, this game already seems to suggest it would be more on the raw power of a Pokemon and how it can be used by humans- definitely a much better lead-in for the Musketeer trio.

They can't change typing if the games link to Black and White for battle and trade. The type code would either transfer causing B/W to read them as hacked or won't read type changes and games would have calculation errors in battle.

Turn-it
April 12th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Maybe with the ambudance of pokemon in the dex we will be able to pick one out of the 16 (Kanto + Pikachu line, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova)...that'll be incredible if we could :D!

That would be awesome! Highly unlikely, but awesome nonetheless.

SnowpointQuincy
April 12th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Red, Steven, Cynthia and such could return as 'super bosses', each giving a choice of pokemon as a reward.

I don't think there would ever be more than one set of starters in the regional pokedex. I don't think this is an issue. But imagine 45/300 pokes being starter... (just a passing thought)

pokemonpokemonpokemon59
April 12th, 2012, 09:24 PM

For Gamefreak, Yes.

Imagine a B/W vs B/W2 game and someone is using emboar.

Khrysta
April 13th, 2012, 08:53 AM
https://p.twimg.com/AqWhGPYCQAADOvb.jpg:large

Looks like we keep the same starters.

Cello
April 13th, 2012, 08:59 AM

We were already kinda aware of that, but thanks for reposting old news? Haha.

As for who we receive them from, that's another question.
Perhaps since we're near a school we'll receive them from a teacher this time rather than a professor as a nice change from things?

TheChaosBlue
April 13th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I'm fine with this. Looks like I'm picking Oshawott once more :)

Mr. Downstairs
April 13th, 2012, 10:12 AM
We were already kinda aware of that, but thanks for reposting old news? Haha.

As for who we receive them from, that's another question.
Perhaps since we're near a school we'll receive them from a teacher this time rather than a professor as a nice change from things?
Oh, that would be really cool!! It would be a nice change if we were students of a trainer school for a little bit before we go on an adventure and we're given a Pokémon that way. Whether it be from a professor paying a visit to the school, or some other way.

Oryx
April 13th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I just hope they don't slam the "school" part into our heads too much, like forcing us to go through basic things that we already know (except for catching since that's in every game). That would make for a super boring intro haha.

Kaori
April 13th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Receiving our starters from a school teacher really does change things up, and it would give us a different way to meet the professor too! But if we don't start out to be 10 like in Black and White, I don't see why we would need to go to a school to get our starter. Plus, I'd much rather GameFreak give us a little hint in the beginning when Akumora hands us our starter Pokémon as to why he would if evil.

SnowpointQuincy
April 13th, 2012, 11:44 AM
First you get a pidove. Then you suffer through the tutorial section. (ie Trainer School) Once the tutorial is over, you get the running shoes, a starter pokemon, and you get to leave the stupid tutorial behind forever.

That's how I see it. The starter is given as a graduation gift, not just given to any 10 year old.

Chopgood18
April 13th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I wonder if they would have you start off with Reshiram or Zekrom depending on which game you bought and Reshiram/Zekrom gets stolen and you have to start off and your mom tells you to go see the professor and he will help you get them back in return for filling out the pokedex :)

That would be an awsome opening :). the player vs. Black Kyurem or White Kyurem and you lose badly or the fight gets interrupted by Team Plasma or whichever new team they will have

G.U.Y.
April 13th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I'm 99% sure they won't change the starters. But I am just curious what the twist will be. They might just be talking about how we obtain the starters, and not the starters themselves.

Maybe we'll find out tomorrow when they show footage on Smash.

Forever
April 13th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I wonder if they would have you start off with Reshiram or Zekrom depending on which game you bought and Reshiram/Zekrom gets stolen and you have to start off and your mom tells you to go see the professor and he will help you get them back in return for filling out the pokedex :)

That would be an awsome opening :). the player vs. Black Kyurem or White Kyurem and you lose badly or the fight gets interrupted by Team Plasma or whichever new team they will have

But then you'd have like... a level 5 Reshiram or Zekrom. o_O Wouldn't that be way overpowered early on? XD; I'd much rather just the normal starters. :x

Railgun
April 13th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I wish they would do what the company who did the GC games did with a preset one.

BBA_Beyblader_321
April 13th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I thought there was a new professor. So shouldn't we be receiving the pokemon from that guy? Where'd you find the information about the school teacher :/

I also think they're keeping the original starters from the unova reigon :(
kinda sucks, but makes sense. I'll bet the older pokemon are just for catching variety.

Chopgood18
April 13th, 2012, 06:47 PM
But then you'd have like... a level 5 Reshiram or Zekrom. o_O Wouldn't that be way overpowered early on? XD; I'd much rather just the normal starters. :x

No I mean they would be level 50 Black Kyurem or White Kyurem (Whichever you're fighting) is around level 55 in the middle of your battle you're inturrupted etc. It would be nice *sigh*

Forever
April 13th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Probably even more unlikely. Starting off with level 50 would significantly harm your journey, whereas Tepig/Oshawott/Snivy would be an appropriate start.

Cherrim
April 13th, 2012, 07:41 PM
It would be nice to have different starters. I'm not a huge fan of the Unova starters so if it's them again, I'm just gonna trade in something else as soon as I can. Probably a Cherubi. :P

I do like the idea of the school, though. That makes a lot more sense to me re: pokemon trainers than professors handing out Pokemon to random kids in their town.

Kaori
April 13th, 2012, 07:44 PM
It would be nice to have different starters. I'm not a huge fan of the Unova starters so if it's them again, I'm just gonna trade in something else as soon as I can. Probably a Cherubi. :P

I do like the idea of the school, though. That makes a lot more sense to me re: pokemon trainers than professors handing out Pokemon to random kids in their town.
You do begin with the same starters. :(

That's true but I guess it's what the Professors were made to do (though they only have three choices)? Not that I don't like the idea of switching it up. I'd really like that. I want more out of the professor since it seems all that's been given were small roles (like Juniper calling up and appearing at different scenes - only for a short period of time though). & It does seem like there is going to be more to do with this professor and I'm really interested in that!

apahllo
April 13th, 2012, 08:00 PM
id really like to see a fixed starter like in pokemon yellow. mareep no way. eevee would be a cool idea. get some new eeveelutions as well.

i dont want to see these starters again. i picked tepig who was hugely disappointing as a pokemon... i think its almost lazy to have the same ones. someone mentioned that each region has universal starters so we arent getting 3 new fire/water/grass pokemon.

really hoping they dont slip up, black/white turned out to be amazing games, dont want just another story. new pokemon AND new story then id be in love! :)

Raichupacabra
April 13th, 2012, 08:28 PM
The same starters. Also the professor reminds of N for some reason. I think he's going to be an antagonist.

Hikamaru
April 13th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I'm still happy we get the same Unova starters. I'm still gonna pick Oshawott!

Chopgood18
April 14th, 2012, 12:57 AM
No no no it would be a continuation of Black and White. You know after you complete everything and capture the Reshiram/ Zekrom. You don't keep the m in the beginning you lose them because your battle gets interrupted and someone steals your legendary admidst the confusion....ugh nevermind

Jellicent♀
April 14th, 2012, 05:47 AM
I'm kind of liking the thought of a school teacher giving me my first Pokemon. That'd make the person my favorite teacher EVER. It makes sense, though, if you ask me. Teachers give you the tools you need to learn, or in this case Pokemon, and then you learn with those tools. A scientist/professor who researches Pokemon give them to you more so as an experiment. I always feels like a Professor's Aide more than anything else.
So if it's a teacher giving me my Tepig, I'm stoked. <3

Tropical Sunlight
April 14th, 2012, 09:32 AM
You do begin with the same starters. :(
Has it been confirmed?
Because it'd be a shame to play with the same starters once again.

Lance
April 14th, 2012, 09:35 AM
The starters will be the same as they were in B&W. Gamefreak won't make that kind of drastic change I don't think.

ceremony
April 14th, 2012, 09:40 AM

How would that work though?

"Oh he's no longer hurt super-effectively by flying-type moves."

I'll say this though...three fire/fighting types that evolve from starters in a row has gotten really played out.

giradialkia
April 14th, 2012, 10:11 AM
https://p.twimg.com/AqWhGPYCQAADOvb.jpg:large

Yeah, I was going to refer to this image- the fact that the Unova starters are lined up like that, and the fact that Serperior is in the video fighting Kyurem leads me to believe that we'll just get the same starters. And the fact that the new Professor is introduced leads me to believe that we'll just get the starters from him- however, in the trailer, I think I recall seeing that professor walk up to a podium thing and meet the player, so if he's not your conventional Pokemon professor, perhaps Professor Juniper will be travelling around and you'll get one from her? I dunno.

droomph
April 14th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Well in the programmer's view the starter is just something to avoid you from breaking the game (and missingno) so I really wouldn't mind what the starter is as long as it's balanced between the three and we can all agree that it's not Bidoof.

And that we get it in a really shiny and creative way.

April 14th, 2012, 10:24 AM
The starters will most likely be the same, I mean the starters are standing right in front of the players in one of the scans or was that the trailer...either way they are in the same position starters are usually in.

SnowpointQuincy
April 14th, 2012, 10:53 AM
How would that work though?

"Oh he's no longer hurt super-effectively by flying-type moves."

I'll say this though...three fire/fighting types that evolve from starters in a row has gotten really played out.

All the more reason to have another crack at it! 4 in a row!

Also, new quote about the professor from today's information.

"Frind, Foe, a mysterious character!" -So he is going to be important somehow..........

Dominus Temporis
April 14th, 2012, 11:13 AM
It's still Unova, so I figure it's safe to say we'll choose from the Unova starters. Though, it could be possible to get a second starter from another region after beating the game like in HG/SS, but that's just a guess.

This is my guess. I used Tepig in Black and Snivy in White, and I'd like to give Oshawott a fair shot as well. I'll probably make a starterless run in the other game and just choose one based on how it affects the plot/what Pokemon the rival has.

Kaori
April 14th, 2012, 02:56 PM
We're still in the 5th Generation, so it would be logical to have the same Unova starters. :s & Pokémon Smash confirmed that the starters will remain the same. :p

If we do get them from the professor, there better be a different reason as to why he would give us a free Pokémon. Seems like it would fit his description especially if he is evil. I wouldn't like him to hand us a starter and be like "HERE. START YOUR WONDERFUL GRAND JOURNEY YOUNG ONE!!!!!".

oshawottlover13
July 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM
if you look on pokemon.com it says we will still have the same starters as usual and that the new professor is bianca. you can tell becasue bianca always stayed with professor juniper throughout the game and after the end of the game. and cheren is a gym leader.

Khrysta
July 27th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Dude...check dates. This is a 3 month old topic. Its also dead topic as I said last time, games are out in Japan and those of us stalking the news already know who is who.

Please don't revive a thread that is over 1 month dead.