PDA

View Full Version : [B2/W2] A water theme, perhaps?

Forever
April 12th, 2012, 06:39 AM
So since this was brought up in news discussion earlier, and that I was only just reminded of it, I figured why not bring up the discussion again!

Look closely at the protagonists clothing - looks like a wetsuit under the clothing of the male, and bathers under the female. An underwater location, a water gym leader, and the fact that Abyssal Ruins are likely to have a part in the games, etc.

Why do you guys think this water theme is going on? Do you think there's more to it than this?

Daydream
April 12th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I'm hoping our characters outfits mean that they'll swim and dive for themselves, but maybe that's pushing it?

I think it's quite likely we'll see a more watery Unova, considering in B/W there weren't really any main bodies of water to be had. Also, if we're updating the the Unova 'dex we might need more watery areas to accommodate for that. So any new water species can be spread out.

Magnificence
April 12th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Well, I personally feel that BW1 didn't utilise Dive as much as it could of. I doubt that the characters will be able to swim/dive on their own accord (without Pokemon) as removing the purpose of 2 HM's is pretty drastic.

I think the whole addition of water themed character designs is just to show the novelty of the new regional area (port, underwater tunnel, possible water gym early in the game). Much like how the Sinnoh protagonists were redesigned in Platinum to suit the snowy graphical changes.

But yeah, for me it's a welcomed change and even if the characters can't swim on their own merits it still makes sense for them to be surfing on Pokemon in the proper attire.

wombateiro
April 12th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Those swimsuits are indicating that new protagonists live in area divided from mainland by water. I think they have nothing to do with swimming or diving without Pokemon. Perhaps protagonists' design will be changed to full swimsuit while surfing or diving.

And I think that the whole addition of water theme is hinting to R/S remakes but it's not discussion for this thread.

SnowpointQuincy
April 12th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Watching Chuggaconroy's lets Play of Emerald. The last 20% is all water routes with water pokemon and water type trainers, and then the final boss is all water pokemon. And the Final gym just before the final boss is all water pokemon too -- come on!

A water/surfer dude theme would be cool, as long as they avoid an over-saturation of water pokemon.

Oryx
April 12th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Well, I personally feel that BW1 didn't utilise Dive as much as it could of. I doubt that the characters will be able to swim/dive on their own accord (without Pokemon) as removing the purpose of 2 HM's is pretty drastic.

What if they could only swim in certain water? Like the sea would be dangerous because of riptides and such so they would only be able to Surf on those, but in places like underneath Village Bridge they can swim?

Diving would be weird anyway because normal people can't dive on their own lol.

Blue
April 12th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Perhaps or it could just be a new addition as one a new character and two something to shake and change things up in these games, after all there are two new gyms Poison & Water so that could mean the poison type has some involvement too or it could just simply be the two new gyms with no major plot.

Nepse
April 12th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Well, I have long been hoping for deletion of HMs, so say; a Pokémon able to learn Cut can perform it outside of battle without actually knowing the move. It would make things easier, in my opinion. The HMs can be replaced by TMs teaching the same moves. Maybe the PCs can swim like swimmers.

Esper
April 12th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I definitely can see how they're wearing wetsuits. Most guys don't wear leggins after all. They have the sporty kind of look of characters who swim a lot/spend time at the beach.

Turn-it
April 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM
So since this was brought up in news discussion earlier, and that I was only just reminded of it, I figured why not bring up the discussion again!

Look closely at the protagonists clothing - looks like a wetsuit under the clothing of the male, and bathers under the female. An underwater location, a water gym leader, and the fact that Abyssal Ruins are likely to have a part in the games, etc.

Why do you guys think this water theme is going on? Do you think there's more to it than this?

It kind of makes sense with the frozen theme with it. Ice and water correspond with each other in a sense.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
April 12th, 2012, 09:28 PM
The Water theme might also be a refrence to Real life New York City being a major port city.

Xander Olivieri
April 12th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Watch you don't even have to use Surf like in Black and White except to traverse a minor route that doesn't play any part of the main story. XD

First (three) cities are Starting town where your character is born, Second generic city with nothing in it, and then the third which is a small port town (where I'm guessing either the Poison or Water Gym is seeing as Poison only has 2 and that means she's either first or second).

Yes I'm basing this off the big world map. You can see three cities before you have to take the underwater tunnel to Castella. The Underwater Bridge just replaced Skyarrow and is visually appealing most likely.

Other than from the (Third) city to Castella, there isn't a mandatory body of water to cross.

And I still think those are sweat pants. May's clothes were pretty tight and leather looking too, though it was a different material I believe. The artists are really horrible at not making their clothes look another way unless they can make it visibly bulky.

(Odd note. Swimmer still wear next to nothing in Platinum despite the frigid climate and the Ace Traner suits are very form fitting as well.)

Forever
April 12th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Well perhaps you could surf to places like Liberty Garden etc, once you pass Castelia? I'd really love it if that was like, something that could really happen in the games since I wanted that in B/W and I want that now. ;; WHY ELSE HINT?

Oryx
April 12th, 2012, 10:10 PM
And I still think those are sweat pants. May's clothes were pretty tight and leather looking too, though it was a different material I believe. The artists are really horrible at not making their clothes look another way unless they can make it visibly bulky.

(Odd note. Swimmer still wear next to nothing in Platinum despite the frigid climate and the Ace Traner suits are very form fitting as well.)

Wait you mean the guy's pants? Those are not sweatpants by any stretch of the imagination lol.

http://i.imgur.com/dUyJH.png

http://i.imgur.com/rYNco.jpg

May was wearing spandex bike shorts. Seems pretty obvious to me. Sweat pants are not meant to be as tight as those guy's pants are, lol. The only other alternative is that he's wearing some form of Under Armour.

April 12th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Maybe they show Plasma's boat again in Liberty Garden and you sneak in ;).
Either way, I have to agree with Xander, that could simply be a sport shirt underneath his coat rather than a a swimsuit...why doesn't the girl have one?

Xander Olivieri
April 12th, 2012, 10:46 PM
They are also similar to the Black under clothes of the Pokemon Rangers.

although its not as connected Solana's clothes are pretty close.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/4c/Ranger_Solana.png

Kate's are like May's shorts. Usagi also makes me think of a ballerina. Like she's half dressed for practice.

Hiroshi Sotomura
April 12th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Given that the underwater area looks like the way the Cylinder Tubeline Bridge is presented, I would be led to believe that the underwater area in the scans is an underwater passage between areas.

April 12th, 2012, 11:12 PM
The tube is most likely a bridge...maybe we will get to explore Unova's sewers...nah that tube looks more Aquarium than something that leads to a sewer...

Xander Olivieri
April 12th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Isn't there a real life underwater high way in Europe? It could be based off of that. I mean the current president added Skyarrow and all the trucks just cause he likes trucks.

gunnerpow7
April 13th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Imo, the theme is more of a motif than a feature tbh.

Hiroshi Sotomura
April 13th, 2012, 05:45 AM
The tube is most likely a bridge...maybe we will get to explore Unova's sewers...nah that tube looks more Aquarium than something that leads to a sewer...
Even the scans imply that it's underwater. It's clearly an underwater passage of sorts.

Anyway,
https://img.skitch.com/20120413-dw3cebk5t3eq6k1a1w1cx92ywb.jpg

Apparently, there is a Mantine in the top right corner.

wombateiro
April 13th, 2012, 06:25 AM
It's underwater tunnel, kinda like the Channel Tunnel in Europe. I think later in game, after obtaining dive, player will be able to swim around that tunnel.

Forever
April 13th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Well it'd be interesting to swim around the tunnel but what exactly would the purpose be? I can't really think of anything that you can explore, and they must've cut it off from swimming like normal for a reason imo.

Sora
April 13th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Could be due to the ice that this underwater theme has gone on? It's a long shot but it's possible considering ice and water are the same substances just in different forms.

Either way it looks like an underwater tunnel to me. Not sure if you would have to use Dive to specifically get to that tunnel unless it's an area you get to after the Elite Four. I liked it when they had it so you didn't need any HMs to get through the main storyline.

wombateiro
April 13th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Obviously player will have to go through that tunnel for the first time because of not having surf or dive yet, but later there could be some quest with diving around tunnel to prevent it from collapsing or something like that.

mystletainn
April 13th, 2012, 06:42 AM
It appears to me that Kyurem is wreaking havoc on the environment of Unova. Just look Entralink island and the apparent craters in Driftveil. So I'm guessing the water levels are rising and falling all over and that's why the tunnels were built. Two years seems kind of quick for something like that to be built but I don't really apply logic to the Pokemon series. But I loved the Dive/Surfing aspects of Hoenn so I wouldn't mind a similar thing happening in B2W2.

Forever
April 13th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Ooh logic! Perhaps that could also be due to the fact that Abyssal Ruins had "rushing currents" and something about that pressure just sorta spread to the rest of Unova when Kyurem started attacking, causing... something. Dunno the technical word for it but Abyssal Ruins I feel are related. :3

tj4bigred
April 22nd, 2012, 07:42 AM
In Gen V, Dive Balls were changed back to their original function: to work on Pokémon underwater. Yet, in the ONE diveable location, there were no Pokémon. So I think we can expect some underwater grass patches.

And maybe even... a water temple. That'd be cool, right? What could go wrong?

giradialkia
April 22nd, 2012, 07:59 AM
That's actually a very astute observation, I hadn't really noticed they were wearing wetsuits/bathing suits (as such).
However, I don't really think it means that much with regards to gameplay or anything- look at Platinum. The protagonists' redesigns had them wearing warmer clothes because Sinnoh was getting colder- but for no real reason at all. I think it's just because they're in a kinda watery area when they start out; in the trailer, when the player is talking to the Water Gym leader (Shuzui, or something?), there's palm trees in the background, iirc. It's just sorta suggestive of where the player is starting out, I'm not sire it's indicative of a particular theme in the games.

I basically agree with this post:
Those swimsuits are indicating that new protagonists live in area divided from mainland by water. I think they have nothing to do with swimming or diving without Pokemon. Perhaps protagonists' design will be changed to full swimsuit while surfing or diving.

And I think that the whole addition of water theme is hinting to R/S remakes but it's not discussion for this thread.

Xander Olivieri
April 22nd, 2012, 09:25 AM
In Gen V, Dive Balls were changed back to their original function: to work on Pokémon underwater. Yet, in the ONE diveable location, there were no Pokémon. So I think we can expect some underwater grass patches.

And maybe even... a water temple. That'd be cool, right? What could go wrong?

No they weren't. Their flavor text was changed to Pokemon living underwater, not Catches Pokemon better while diving, which was the original version. Its still the x3.5 rate while surfing or fishing in Black and White.

As of right now we don't know if Dive is still an active mechanic to the game, that was to show off some of the 3D models that they had placed in the game world, like the bridges and the two towers.

Mew~
April 22nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
I'd be very disappointed if Dive wasn't a mechanic, because they didn't expand of it enough in B/W. But then again, if the Abyssal Ruins do resurface, that could mean tones of things. I could see the place being something like N's Castle near the end of the main story/where the end of the main story takes place. But, yeah - water theme. I am actually seeing it, but it could be for many reasons, if half of Unova is apparently frozen (which is discussion I'm not fully backing right now) then it would make sense, due to ice melting and the rest of Unova flooding. It could be global warming. There was that Pacifidlog looking Town in a scan, which does look fishy to me. :x

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
April 22nd, 2012, 10:41 AM
I just hope they keep the amount of water in check. I for one do not want to see another Hoenn where a large percentage of the place is underwater and those creepy swimmers in speedos are a dime a dozen. More water than B/W Unova would be fine, as it really didn't feature much water. Of course, there better be some high-quality Water Pokemon to be had if they're adding water. But I don't want Unova looking like Archie and Team Aqua resurfaced and actually succeeded in covering half the place in water.

And Dive to me NEVER made sense as a gameplay mechanic. Because of the lack of scuba gear and the threat of hypothermia. Of course, a lot of the things in Pokemon never made any sense to me, so...

Xander Olivieri
April 22nd, 2012, 10:47 AM
Based on the visible map, compared to the other, it doesn't look like you HAVE to use Surf or Dive like in B/W. So Water should be pretty tame if not, pretty much out of the way. Most of the time you needed Surf/Waterfall was post E4 travel.

Forever
April 23rd, 2012, 01:31 AM
Well tbh you never had to use them in B/W either, since HMs weren't necessary, etc. Only if you wanted to get the extra things. With B2W2, Surf/Dive could still be utilised a bit, since there's a whole lot of water near Castelia and stuff that you can't access in B/W, well, things could've changed! Besides there's potential for dive spots in Route 17/18 tbh. I'd say it has a bigger theme though and that it might just be a post-game thing, but water will have a major role imo.

dreamcatcher
April 23rd, 2012, 06:21 AM
I hope there are underwater locations, that was one of my favorite parts of playing R/S, mostly cause I liked bragging about all the Relicanth I would catch. x3

April 23rd, 2012, 02:59 PM
Their is a lot of water, and that town in the trailer that the water gym leader was in makes me think that this region will have as much of a water theme as Hoenn did...

FREEFIGHTER07
April 23rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
Its very possible actually.......hey maybe now magicarps splash attack will do something!!!!!
ROFL- watch it be the same as sheer cold haha

Forever
April 23rd, 2012, 09:23 PM
I hope there are underwater locations, that was one of my favorite parts of playing R/S, mostly cause I liked bragging about all the Relicanth I would catch. x3

Yeah hopefully, maybe an extended Abyssal Ruins and some general underwater routes. :3

Its very possible actually.......hey maybe now magicarps splash attack will do something!!!!!
ROFL- watch it be the same as sheer cold haha

I... doubt that. XD; Splash ain't gunna do much ever imo.

Xander Olivieri
April 23rd, 2012, 09:27 PM
Just noticed something when you meet Shizui, there is a metalic bridge in the same area as all his other screen shots that pans off to the right. Could that be the entrance to the Under Water Tunnel? If so where does it lead? Could it be that they managed to air pocket Abyssal Ruins for exploration?

It really does seem like he would be in the new Dock like city that is where Undella used to be and that the tunnel could be there as well. If you can take that tunnel underwater I wonder where it goes if not to connect Castella with the new starter town side.

ToriSora
April 24th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I missed using surf. Felt odd

Alinthea
April 25th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I like the idea of this, possibly an underwater city of come sorts?
That could tie in with the underwater gym and so on. As long as you didn't have random battles in the actual city! XD

Forever
April 25th, 2012, 05:52 AM
I missed using surf. Felt odd

I'm sure surf will have more of a role in B2/W2, and if it doesn't, that... just does not make sense at all considering the hints so far. XD;

Just noticed something when you meet Shizui, there is a metalic bridge in the same area as all his other screen shots that pans off to the right. Could that be the entrance to the Under Water Tunnel? If so where does it lead? Could it be that they managed to air pocket Abyssal Ruins for exploration?

It really does seem like he would be in the new Dock like city that is where Undella used to be and that the tunnel could be there as well. If you can take that tunnel underwater I wonder where it goes if not to connect Castella with the new starter town side.

Yeah I think the tunnel connects to Castelia tbh. I want it to connect somewhere else but I just see it as the new Skyarrow. :(

I like the idea of this, possibly an underwater city of come sorts?
That could tie in with the underwater gym and so on. As long as you didn't have random battles in the actual city! XD

Well... that's interesting--actually just thought of something related, a water version of White Forest/Black City! :3 Well, since there's the whole ice theme and such, and that water is kinda hinted to by everything... I think it'd be a nice overall exclusive thing. Maybe one version could have water on top, and the other version can have water belowwww, or the remains of the ruins there!

Alinthea
April 25th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Well... that's interesting--actually just thought of something related, a water version of White Forest/Black City! :3 Well, since there's the whole ice theme and such, and that water is kinda hinted to by everything... I think it'd be a nice overall exclusive thing. Maybe one version could have water on top, and the other version can have water belowwww, or the remains of the ruins there!

What can I say, I have an interesting mind! XDD

I think it would just be a cool theme to have element based towns/cities/forests.

Forever
April 25th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Well I'd only want a water one based on the opposite versions. The other "elements" aren't really related, but a new water city based on your version? Yes plz. Also possibly we might get access to new "islands" if there really is a water theme, perhaps that's where the city could be found, or at least under those.

dreamcatcher
April 25th, 2012, 06:14 AM
I really like the theme of a more water-based Unova map :) I missed surfing everywhere with an HM slave. An underwater city would be interesting or a sunken forest. I hope there's some type of sea floor to be explored, that was one of my favorite features in R/S. <3

Forever
April 25th, 2012, 06:20 AM
A sunken forest...? What do you mean by that? Sorta a forest half covered by water? Because omg, that'd be amazing. Sure it'd be due to global warming or something, but it'd give your character some sort of urgency as well as provide a nice place to capture different Pokemon. :3

Alinthea
April 25th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Maybe so, it wouldn't fit but I like the idea! XD

A half/flooded forest would be cool. Or a frozen one, which would tie into the main legendary? IDK.

Xander Olivieri
April 25th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Yeah I think the tunnel connects to Castelia tbh. I want it to connect somewhere else but I just see it as the new Skyarrow. :(

Yes...but there is no beach at the port city between the new Starting City and Castella.

Forever
April 26th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Could be entirely underneath, tbh. You could have a kinda port-hole thing to come up through and between...?

Zayphora
April 26th, 2012, 04:21 PM
This all seems very interesting. The idea of underwater towns is a wonderful one, and tbh Undella was a pretty boring town in any time but summer...the only cool thing was the summer music. The Riches were dumb, and I wouldnt mind that city being replaced with some sort of port.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
April 27th, 2012, 06:49 AM
IDK... underwater towns seem something surreal and bizarre... something that would fit in much better in Hoenn...

I just want another beachfront resort... this time with a villa you can actually purchase and furnish... like in Platinum, only with a prime waterfront location.

Surf is fine as an HM that is used regularly... it's having to use multiple water-based HM's (Waterfall, Dive, etc.) that it becomes really annoying.

Mr Cat Dog
April 28th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Surf is fine as an HM that is used regularly... it's having to use multiple water-based HM's (Waterfall, Dive, etc.) that it becomes really annoying.
As much as I'd love a more watery themed game, I do have this nagging concern that I'm going to need a Water-HM-Slave with Surf and Dive and Waterfall and Whirpool and who knows what else. Hopefully it'll be just Surf and (maybe) Dive, if BW2 does become very water-based.

Blue
April 28th, 2012, 03:15 AM
I think there is a high abundance of water going by what we've seen so far & also are we getting more gameplay/information tonight on Pokémon Smash?

★Midnight★
April 28th, 2012, 05:57 AM
I can only guess...I think it is a swim suit, because there's this theatre, that it looks like its going to be a side quest and there's tons of water in a scene. And also, it could be a swim suit because of Shizui's gym.

Forever
April 28th, 2012, 05:59 AM
As much as I'd love a more watery themed game, I do have this nagging concern that I'm going to need a Water-HM-Slave with Surf and Dive and Waterfall and Whirpool and who knows what else. Hopefully it'll be just Surf and (maybe) Dive, if BW2 does become very water-based.

Nah I doubt Whirlpool will be necessary. Doesn't seem like something they'd throw into Route 17/18 (the main water location). Still have a feeling Surf will be used more!

wombateiro
April 28th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Whirpool is most likely exclusive HM for gens 2 and 4. I doubt it will be as HM in gen 5.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
April 28th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Thank goodness.... Whirlpool was dreadful in battle.

Still unsure on whether I'm for or against the whole water thing... it's all going to depend on how much more water there is (and how many of those godawful speedo-wearing male Swimmers we have to deal with) and how it's implemented. I liked Unova for its more urban setting, and adding water might ruin that feel that the region had in B/W.

Forever
May 15th, 2012, 07:06 PM
So the fact that Plasma are in fact on a boat with a conflict... doesn't that further hint to a water theme? Kinda makes sense why the male protagonist is wearing a bathing suit then, maybe he swims there...?

Kaori
May 25th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Honestly I don't see a water theme going on anymore. I think the games will lead more to frozen lands than water anyway. Plus two years later, maybe Unova became more relaxing and a great place to chill/take a vacation at as opposed to the storyline being based around water. Maybe there will be more to do at sea, but honestly based on the protagonists all I can think of is summer and the beach and this is how Unova's region formed out to be like. Which many people would like, no doubt. Needs moar cityyyyy though.