PDA

View Full Version : [B2/W2] Pokémon & Trainer Sprite Changes?

KingDrapion
April 13th, 2012, 03:26 AM
I don't know if this has been speculated yet, but does anyone think that Game Freak will update the sprite animations for the Unova Pokemon (or even all the older generation pokemon) for B2 and W2? Looking at the scans, the sprites have not changed. I actually hope they do, even though it may seem pointless to a lot of people, but some sprite animations I did not like. E.g Flygon's where it did that weird dance or Ho oh where it looks like it's struggling to fly. Well, what do you guys think? They most likely won't change it, but for every new game they have.

EDIT:
The Unova Pokemon have new sprite animations.
Have a look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_mZKeD0Eag&feature=related

Oryx
April 13th, 2012, 03:40 AM
I don't think they will, because the graphics aren't updated and the animations were so complex this generation that it would take a ton of time to update them, lol.

Forever
April 13th, 2012, 03:43 AM
^ sadly. :( Perhaps maybe some colour changes, or just animation changes for only Unova Pokemon, but really I think that's all there will be if anything. Oh well, if not, then we can always wait for gen 6!

Magnificence
April 13th, 2012, 04:14 AM
I'm happy with the current sprites. Considering it takes like 5-6 different sprites to make the animations for each Pokemon (don't forget the backsprites as well), I don't mind if we stick with the same sprites from BW1.

However, I am hoping for some animated gym leader sprites

Comerion
April 13th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Yeah they should update some of the sprites, especially the back sprites, they were pixelated and well, bad.

KingDrapion
April 13th, 2012, 05:04 AM
I don't think they will, because the graphics aren't updated and the animations were so complex this generation that it would take a ton of time to update them, lol.
Yeah true, but hopefully they will be able to atleast improve their pixels

^ sadly. :( Perhaps maybe some colour changes, or just animation changes for only Unova Pokemon, but really I think that's all there will be if anything. Oh well, if not, then we can always wait for gen 6!

Colour changing could happen, but I guess waiting for gen 6 is where its at for improved sprites.

I'm happy with the current sprites. Considering it takes like 5-6 different sprites to make the animations for each Pokemon (don't forget the backsprites as well), I don't mind if we stick with the same sprites from BW1.

However, I am hoping for some animated gym leader sprites

Well, backsprites atleast would be good. Like you, i'm also hoping gym leaders get animated. Don't know why they didn't do it in the 1st Black and White

Yeah they should update some of the sprites, especially the back sprites, they were pixelated and well, bad.

Finally someone who agrees with me

bobandbill
April 13th, 2012, 05:17 AM
I am not too confident of it happening. As the style is the same from assumptions from the coro coro scans (animated sprites - don't see them removing the animations after all) I doubt they'll revamp them. Still, it's possible and I wouldn't mind seeing some improvements on a few of them as well.

Wouldn't be surprised to see human sprites to be redone though, as that's not too much for them to do in comparison to changing a significant portion of 649 Pokemon species.

gunnerpow7
April 13th, 2012, 05:20 AM
It is possible that we will have updated sprites but fully animated sprites... done 649 times... That doesn't even cover the forms... Well, for me, I'm 50/50 on this one..

Hiroshi Sotomura
April 13th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Backsprites almost never change in every generation. We'd be lucky if they decide to update the current set of 150 Pokémon for the main sprites.

Come Gen 6, they probably won't even use sprites.

wombateiro
April 13th, 2012, 06:34 AM
They could do something like intro animation. I mean, there could be single animation appearing only once after Pokemon is sent out and it will lead to loop animation from original B/W.

Black Mage
April 13th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Come Gen 6, they probably won't even use sprites.

Here's to hoping this is true. If Game Freak was smart they'd finally upgrade to 3D.

Anyway we saw in the scans they were using the old sprites. Not to say anything in them is final (Excadrill was a different color in his initial scan appearance) but as everyone else said, too much work for a company as lazy as Game Freak.

Jak
April 13th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Doubt they'd wanna change it. If the sprites were stationary, then I could see it happening. They did it for Platinum anyway. But since they're actually animated this time around, then it probably won't happen. Besides, we're getting enough changes between BW and these games to really complain about something as meaningless as sprite updates.

Azure
April 13th, 2012, 11:00 AM
They're fine as they are and besides that would be way too time consuming for the space they have to fully develop and release these pair of games.

shinysweety
April 13th, 2012, 12:24 PM
There will be new gym leader sprites, hero sprites, and rival sprites. But I don't think they will make new Pokemon sprites.

G_Sylar
April 13th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I just want the pixelation gone.

KingDrapion
April 13th, 2012, 02:40 PM
They could do something like intro animation. I mean, there could be single animation appearing only once after Pokemon is sent out and it will lead to loop animation from original B/W.

This would be a good idea, game freak could atleast do this.

Hiroshi Sotomura
April 13th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Here's to hoping this is true. If Game Freak was smart they'd finally upgrade to 3D.

Anyway we saw in the scans they were using the old sprites. Not to say anything in them is final (Excadrill was a different color in his initial scan appearance) but as everyone else said, too much work for a company as lazy as Game Freak.

Hah, lazy!

We're less than two months away from the games, so I doubt they're going to put any more sprites in or change sprites too drastically. I would think we'll see some new sprites for the formes (of course).

It's not like the returning Pokémon had much chance of having their sprites redone either, as the scans show.

Kaori
April 13th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I don't really mind if the sprites and animations change or not, they're pretty fine to me. Plus if these games are to be epic as we make it sound, I'd rather GameFreak focus on the parts of the game we'll really study. Otherwise, the sprites are good as new. d("d)

Forever
April 13th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I just want the pixelation gone.

Me too :( But I do doubt it'll be gone by the actual screenshots we saw of Serperior etc. :x

KingDrapion
April 13th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Well looking at this video: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/b2w2/
We can say that they have not changed any sprite animations, but they have revamped the battle field bases.

bobandbill
April 13th, 2012, 06:51 PM
They have however given some trainer sprite animations.

EDIT: Some people are claiming that Serperior actually got a different (back) animation...

Volcoronawing649
April 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I don't care if they change the sprites or not, I just want them to POLISH the sprites. Because lets face it, the back sprites are very pixelated -_-

Volcarona FTW! Oh, and Larvesta, hes cool too.......

Wings Don't Cry
April 13th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I honestly don't mind if they use the same sprites because I play Pokemon Blue all the time so I am constantly reminded of impressive the current sprites are for the current Pokemon game considering they have to animate every single Pokemon including alternate forms along with back sprites. Also we now get full back sprites not just what appears to be the back of a Pokemon's head. I mean you have to face it, the DS chip is not the most impressive technology nor does it have an enormous amount of memory so adding more pixels to all the back sprites and extra frames of animation to the all the Pokemon would just not be reasonable to demand.

Volcoronawing649
April 13th, 2012, 08:00 PM
(replying back to what Wombateiro said)

Ya, that would be a good idea. It would be nice if Gamefreak would listen to the people's ideas for once. Think of all the sweet fan-made Pokemon we artistic fans have created for goodness sakes!!!

Volcarona FTW! Oh and Larvesta, hes cool too....

Kaori
April 13th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Well by the looks of the trailer, seems like sprites are still pixelated and basically the same! If Serperior's backsprite really is different, I'm guessing they may have changed up the animation/battle design for Unova Pokémon? Too early to tell I guess, I'd like to see more battle scenes.

Love the addition of trainer animation though. :D

Raichupacabra
April 13th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Judging by the new trailer, the sprites didn't change. But the normal trainers gained animated sprites.

KingDrapion
April 13th, 2012, 10:09 PM
So all trainers have gained animations? or just special trainers?

SolarAbusoru
April 14th, 2012, 12:00 AM
So all trainers have gained animations? or just special trainers?

All Trainers, considering the sprite we saw animated in the trailer was one of a normal trainer.

rocky505
April 14th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Serperior is said to have gained a new animation in the video where it's battling both the Kyurem formes.

Archiebald
April 14th, 2012, 01:54 AM

The 2D sprites are a characteristic feature of pokemon. Personally i'd hate it if they switched to 3D but it might as well happen one day.

Mew~
April 14th, 2012, 03:43 AM
It's nice to see normal trainer animations, and gives a little more character to the trainer, so I guess that's a nice addition. I'm not too upset about no sprite changes, but who knows - there may be some. Either way I wasn't expecting 3D models or anything.

Jellicent♀
April 14th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I'm hoping they jazz up the male Ace Trainer's look, tbh. But the thought of every trainer being animated really excites me. It gives them just that little bit of extra character that I've always been looking for.

Pokemon wise, I think the most they would change is the battle movement animation. Different poses, different movements. Not entirely sure how the backsprites will look, but from the look of things it seems that they kept it somewhat the same.

Lance
April 14th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I really want new sprites, if not back sprites, certainly front ones. Especially for some of the older generation Pokemon that are still rocking crappy Platinum sprites. :/

Kaori
April 14th, 2012, 04:20 PM
So it appears there will be changes in the Pokémon animation! Between the battle of the female protagonist and the rival, I noticed Oshawott would catch its shell.

Jellicent♀
April 14th, 2012, 04:24 PM
So it appears there will be changes in the Pokémon animation! Between the battle of the female protagonist and the rival, I noticed Oshawott would catch its shell.

I'm really hoping that Clefairy isn't such a fatty anymore.
Omgosh, the thought of Oshawott catching its shell is actually cute. <3
I wonder if Snivy looks a little more smug, like, as if it would be flipping it's invisible hair using its hands.

Kaori
April 14th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I'm really hoping that Clefairy isn't such a fatty anymore.
Omgosh, the thought of Oshawott catching its shell is actually cute. <3
I wonder if Snivy looks a little more smug, like, as if it would be flipping it's invisible hair using its hands.
Snivy was in that battle, but I can't exactly remember what the animation was like... :[ I could totally picture it doing that though.

I imagine Tepig cutely springing up and down for some reason. :3

Jellicent♀
April 14th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Snivy was in that battle, but I can't exactly remember what the animation was like... :[ I could totally picture it doing that though.

I imagine Tepig cutely springing up and down for some reason. :3

Oh gosh, Tepig jumping up on its hind legs and plopping right back down would be adorable. <33 Sniff the ground like a piggy for a bit, and then jump up on its legs. EEEE~ <333

KingDrapion
April 14th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Liking the opinions guys/girls. But the sprite I want gamefreak to change the most is Black Kyurems. Just have a look at it here and you'll see why I don't like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUMwhGvwjG4&feature=g-all-lik&context=G280690bFAAAAAAAACAA
But atleast they made white kyurems sprite look ok.

Raichupacabra
April 14th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Snivy jumps a bit and raises its head. You could also tell it's different because it opens its mouth as opposed to this where its mouth stays shut.

http://pldh.net/media/pokemon/gen5/blackwhite_animated_front/495.gif

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
April 14th, 2012, 07:04 PM
I'm hoping they make some of the older Pokemon's animation better, like they could make Politoad and Semistoad jump up and down like actual toads.

KingDrapion
April 14th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I'm hoping they make some of the older Pokemon's animation better, like they could make Politoad and Semistoad jump up and down like actual toads.

In the footages we have seen, the Unova starter pokemon have gained new animations. So yes, it will be most likely that all Unova pokemon will be revamped with new animations.

Twilight-kun
April 14th, 2012, 07:36 PM
did they animate all trainers or just a few?

Jellicent♀
April 14th, 2012, 07:39 PM
did they animate all trainers or just a few?
They announced that all trainers will be animated, as opposed to just a few. Which really makes me that much more ecstatic. <333

April 14th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Dude okay look not all pokemon are animated, just the starters.

Reshiram and Chandelure stay the same.

This may not be final version however.

Forever
April 14th, 2012, 08:17 PM
They announced that all trainers will be animated, as opposed to just a few. Which really makes me that much more ecstatic. <333

Pretty exciting to have that change tbh. Just having a boring trainer, motionless, releasing a moving Pokemon seems kind of... illogical. I'm interested in seeing the other animations though. :3 Hopefully for the football players they show them catching a ball or something!

Jellicent♀
April 14th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Pretty exciting to have that change tbh. Just having a boring trainer, motionless, releasing a moving Pokemon seems kind of... illogical. I'm interested in seeing the other animations though. :3 Hopefully for the football players they show them catching a ball or something!

Oh goodness yes. I thought it was just...kind of dumb not to make the trainer even a little animated. I'd love to see the cheerleaders' animation! Jumping around and shouting at the top of their lungs.

Kaori
April 14th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Yes, trainer animations ftw. It's a shame that they still don't throw the Pokéball when they're sending out a Pokémon though.

I imagine the Parasol ladies spinning their umbrellas, the Maid trainers bowing, and the Cheerleaders waving their pompoms around...this will all be fun. :D

Forever
April 14th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Yes, trainer animations ftw. It's a shame that they still don't throw the Pokéball when they're sending out a Pokémon though.

I imagine the Parasol ladies spinning their umbrellas, the maid trainers bowing, and the cheerleaders waving their pompoms around...this will all be fun. :D

Don't think they'll spin their umbrellas, maybe move them from the side to in front of them, but spinning seems kinda un lady-like. XD;

Oh goodness yes. I thought it was just...kind of dumb not to make the trainer even a little animated. I'd love to see the cheerleaders' animation! Jumping around and shouting at the top of their lungs.

Only problem is we won't hear shouting ;x

Kaori
April 14th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Don't think they'll spin their umbrellas, maybe move them from the side to in front of them, but spinning seems kinda un lady-like. XD;
It is very lady-like! It's a popular thing. I've seen models modeling with umbrellas do it. Okay.

I'm hoping that all of the Pokémon get new animations, if not new sprites. Just like the trainers, it will be interesting to speculate what they will do!

SnowpointQuincy
April 14th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I have a feeling only the 3 starters will get new, cute, animations.

Loving the trainer animations, if only they did this in 2007 with diamond.

KingDrapion
April 14th, 2012, 11:58 PM
You can see clearly the new sprite animations for the starters here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH995Q1-HG8&feature=g-all-u&context=G280690bFAAAAAAAACAA

Kaori
April 15th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Oshawott does indeed show off its little seashell! Snivy's is okay, better than the original animation at least.

I want Tepig's animation to hop up and down. :<

Jellicent♀
April 15th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I'm satisfied with the animations. I still want Tepig to hop around, BUT I'LL LIVE.
Are they going to be changing the animation for all Pokemon, or just the starters? I know it's been a debate whether or not they have, but I'm not sure if anyone has confirmed it yet.

Cello
April 15th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Personally I love all of the trainer animations shown so far. They looks far smoother than past animations.
I know for Pokemon animations they use a joint animation system (Yuck imo) to cut down on time consumption, which is understandable. When you have to animate 649+ creatures with multiple stances/front & back positions in a battle you're going to want to cut down the time it takes to meet project milestones.

The trainers actually look like they were properly animated though!
I can't wait to see more, such as the new Gym Leaders and such.

Jellicent♀
April 15th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Personally I love all of the trainer animations shown so far. They looks far smoother than past animations.
I know for Pokemon animations they use a joint animation system (Yuck imo) to cut down on time consumption, which is understandable. When you have to animate 649+ creatures with multiple stances/front & back positions in a battle you're going to want to cut down the time it takes to meet project milestones.

The trainers actually look like they were properly animated though!
I can't wait to see more, such as the new Gym Leaders and such.
I'm excited about the Gym Leaders, too. Especially the Water Leader.
The ones I'm most excited to see is how they animated the Elite Four and the Champion.

Kaori
April 15th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I'm excited about the Gym Leaders, too. Especially the Water Leader.
The ones I'm most excited to see is how they animated the Elite Four and the Champion.
Yeeesss. If the Elite Four does happen to stay the same (minus Alder pl0x), I can imagine Shauntal flipping a page of her book as the new animation.

Jellicent♀
April 15th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Yeeesss. If the Elite Four does happen to stay the same (minus Alder pl0x), I can imagine Shauntal flipping a page of her book as the new animation.

I could see Grimsley dancing. Oh lawd, the image. <3
Marshal showing off his skills.
Caitlin giving you the stink eye for waking her lazy self up.
Shauntal flipping pages and writing in her book.
Finally, Alder BEING ABSENT ALL TOGETHER falling through the air, landing on his feet, and then sitting down.

April 15th, 2012, 09:56 AM
The ninja class if they appear (I don't remember seeing much of them in BW) can fade in and out like actual ninja.
The swimmers could swims around in circles, or rise up from the water.

Black Kyurem's sprite needs fixing...it looks an ugly shade of brown rather than grey like it's official art work...

Kaori
April 15th, 2012, 10:04 AM
The ninja class if they appear (I don't remember seeing much of them in BW) can fade in and out like actual ninja.
The swimmers could swims around in circles, or rise up from the water.

Black Kyurem's sprite needs fixing...it looks an ugly shade of brown rather than grey like it's official art work...
The shadow triad scares me, but I'd like their animation to do that. Couldn't imagine what else they would do anyway. The swimmer trainers from Black and White don't look like they would come out of the water though. The male swimmer is stretching so his animation is bound to be him stretching from side to side.

Black Kyurem looks like it combined itself with Garbodor. u_u;

Zephele
April 15th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I'm fairly surprised that they're using proper animation for the trainers, instead of the 3-frame stuff we usually get. The stuff they've shown is great so far - one reason that I'm now hoping for some of the Gym Leaders/Elite Four reappear is so we could see their animated sprites, haha.

And I only just realized from the sprite that Black Kyurem's arms are really long...

Mew~
April 15th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I am quite disappointed with the Black and White Kyurem sprites at the moment, they look far too junky and flinky, but eh - we've seen sprite changes happen before so I've got my fingers crossed.

Forever
April 15th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I love Oshawott's, btw. It's perhaps the cutest thing the games have revealed so far and looks like Oshawott in anime which is cute ;;

Aaand, yeah, Black Kyurem's sprite is terrible. Honestly they could've done better, imo. :x WHY SUCH NICE ART BUT SUCH BAD SPRITE?!

KingDrapion
April 15th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Hopefully they do change them. Black kyurems especially. A bit of recolouring on the brown patch to make it grey would make them look a little better atleast. Oh well, Game freak is said to show off tons of stuff next month so can't wait until then.

April 15th, 2012, 05:24 PM
^ I sure hope they are beta, especially Black Kyurem, it looks quite bland...
I wish the sprites were less pixelized, but I guess we have to deal with them until they can find how to make them move without making them pixally.

Sheep
April 15th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Oshawott's new animation is adooorable! Feels more realistic now than it just moving its head back and forth and jumping lol. But eep, the animated rival sprite looks very fluid :'DD Excited to see what they'll do with the leaders and Elite Four.

April 15th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I enjoyed the starters new animation, especially Oshawott's, the new one seems so much like I had imagined when BW were coming out, plus it reminds me of Ash's Osha ^_^.

I can see the poison gym leader jamming to her gitar.

Jellicent♀
April 15th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Just saw the animation for the rival's sprite and omg, so adorable. This makes me really excited to see how other trainers are animated. He seemed to smooth and fluid in his movements, I just can't imagine how well they did the other sprites in the game. <3

April 15th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I wish that the pokemon's sprites could be as fluid as the trainers...
I wonder if the trainers will have diffrent animations after defeat. It'll be fun to see the trainer animation coming up during his last Pokemon, acting angry, saying how he's about to explode.

Forever
April 15th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Omg I'd love post-battle animations. Probably not going to happen though cause IMO it would take long enough to do the normal animations. :( everyone dropping props would be awesome though after losing lol.

April 15th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Maybe they reserve post battle animations for gym leaders and the rival xD.

KingDrapion
April 16th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Animations that I want to see are trainers and gym leaders actually throwing the pokeballs out onto the battlefield. But I guess current animations are good as well with each trainer and gym leaders having unique animations. But I dunno, I'd prefer watching the trainers throw out pokeballs. Ofcourse this is only my Opinion.

Livewire_
April 16th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Omg I'd love post-battle animations. Probably not going to happen though cause IMO it would take long enough to do the normal animations. :( everyone dropping props would be awesome though after losing lol.

I'd love that. Maybe take it a step further and give them a winning animation, and a losing animation, ahaha. But I'd imagine that would take up quite a lot of space/resources/data, etc. And it would draw battles out, too.

Kaori
April 17th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Animations that I want to see are trainers and gym leaders actually throwing the pokeballs out onto the battlefield. But I guess current animations are good as well with each trainer and gym leaders having unique animations. But I dunno, I'd prefer watching the trainers throw out pokeballs. Ofcourse this is only my Opinion.
AMEN SISTER. I mean you'd think they would have that by now, but nope. n_n I guess it isn't too big a deal, but it would've made battles more realistic in the beginning scene.

Now that you mention Gym Leader animations, it'd be amazing to see Homika rocking out to her electric guitar, and there being an actual short guitar solo during the animation.

Jellicent♀
April 17th, 2012, 04:40 AM
I think I would love to see Shizui's animation be similar to the attack dive. Like he's underwtaer at first and then launches into the air from underneath and lands on his feet in a big "TA-DAH" pose.

Killjoy
April 17th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I hope they update a few of them at sometime. Of the top of my head, Typhosion especially has a pretty poor back sprite

Kaori
April 17th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I hope they update a few of them at sometime. Of the top of my head, Typhosion especially has a pretty poor back sprite
If GameFreak doesn't get around to changing the sprite of all 649 Pokémon, then I'd be cool with a change for Unova Pokémon only at least. :[ Though Lillipup had the same sprite/animation, they could always change that in the future and get away with it.

Jellicent♀
April 17th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't mind all of the Pokemon sprites being the same, at all, really. Though what bothers me is how FAT Clefairy got over the course of one generation. It was skinny in the fourth, and then fifth it gained fifty pounds.

I do wish they would show the opponents' sprites throw the Pokeball, but eh, it's not a big issue.

AtavanHalen343
April 17th, 2012, 01:25 PM
To everyone complaining about back sprites being too pixelated, it's because they still are in the same 96x96 dimesnions that the front sprites are. the only reason they appear so pixelated is because the game zooms in to the pokemon's back sprite during battle, in addition to the camera moving. It's not Game Freak being lazy; if you actually look at the back sprites, when viewed at the same size as the front sprites, they are very good, detailed, and just as smooth.