PDA

View Full Version : [B2/W2] Protagonist & Rival relationship.

Arago
April 13th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Pardon me; obsessed with the rival! This is just an excuse to make a thread about him! yayaya!

I'm sure I don't need to say that for the first time in Pokémon, they had two rivals for the player (three if you count N, or two if you discount Bianca) with Black and White. Not only that, but Cheren and Bianca were childhood friends of yours and you guys started your first steps on your journey together! Y'all had a pretty nice thing going on back then. Certainly refreshing from the past rivals (Barry aside, I guess)...

What do you think the relationship the protagonist has with the rival will be like in the sequels? What do you think their personality is going to be like? Do you think they're going to have the opposite gender protagonist be part of the game as well, like they did in past generations?

Kaori
April 13th, 2012, 05:14 PM
The rival is super cute! Judging by his look, I'm predicting he'll be a lot more mature than the previous rivals. He seems like the kind of guy who would be understanding to you as a close friend, but always looking to better himself to be a little bit ahead of you. As for personality, I picture the rival to be charming, clever and like I said, understanding. Perhaps he'd have a slick side to him. Maybe it's because of your avatar though...

I really hope the relationship between the rival and protagonist is close. Best friends, but far better than the friendship between you/Cheren/Bianca. I see future shippings of the female protag with this rival for some reason. Honestly, I SUPPORT IT.

N
April 13th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I'm thinking that the rival is gonna be cocky, a bit like Gary / Green, since that's something that hasn't been done since Gen 3, with Silver. Though, Silver started out just mean, and I don't think the BW2 rival will be quite that bad. xD;

I don't think he'll start out friends with either of the two protags, though.

If only because they've done that with the last two generations.

Khrysta
April 13th, 2012, 05:33 PM
His key Phrase is "From now on, I'm going to Rage."

I see him as Power hungry and arrogant. Maybe not as abusive as Silver, but pretty close to Silver with a mix of Gary/Blue added in.

Forever
April 13th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I think he's going to be rude like the past rivals :( Just from how he looks I don't think he'll be necessarily friendly to the others. As for the other protagonist I'm pretty sure they will be involved, to kinda... get even with what B/W had, sorta. Kinda disappointing if so, I wanted a really nice rival!

Kaori
April 13th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I'm the only one to think he'll be charming. n___n Honestly, Nick your avatar is misleading my thoughts!

I want him to be mysteriously wicked. But still understanding and close to who you play as even though he has a hard way of showing it!

bobandbill
April 13th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I think he's going to be rude like the past rivals :( Just from how he looks I don't think he'll be necessarily friendly to the others. As for the other protagonist I'm pretty sure they will be involved, to kinda... get even with what B/W had, sorta. Kinda disappointing if so, I wanted a really nice rival!I'm kinda th opposite - give me a guy I'll like to hate and I'll be happy too, as long as the rival has an actual personality with a dash of character development. They can do 'nice rivals' fine imo (Biana/Cheren) and so too the not so nice guys imo (Silver/Gary). THat's the main thing I'm concerned with - he can be whatever he pleases as long as he's an interesting guy I'll enjoy beating up.

Guess it's a bit too early to think much of him based only on his look and not knowing the context of his quote there, beyond 'what hair stuff does he use?'. =p

N
April 13th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I'm the only one to think he'll be charming. n___n Honestly, Nick your avatar is misleading my thoughts!

He's smiling in the bigger version of that fanart in Nick's icon, actually.
So maybe you're right. XD;

Although, that's a fanart, so.. I'm not sure what to make of him at this point.

Kaori
April 13th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Fanart also makes N deeply in love with Hilda but we don't see that happening. :P

It all goes down onto how the creators make the rival out to be. Should be a charming one. Just so charming.

Cassino
April 13th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Looks bold and cocky like Blue and Silver; since the series has started to add more depth to the storylines, he'll doubtless develop from that into a mature nakama. I also reckon he'll be someone the protagonist encounters during the story rather than already knows, given this presumed personality. In turn from these impressions I think it's probable that unless another rival is revealed, the unchosen protagonist character will make a significant appearance as a childhood friend, though I'd personally prefer a unique character for any NPC role.

Forever
April 13th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I'm kinda th opposite - give me a guy I'll like to hate and I'll be happy too, as long as the rival has an actual personality with a dash of character development. They can do 'nice rivals' fine imo (Biana/Cheren) and so too the not so nice guys imo (Silver/Gary). THat's the main thing I'm concerned with - he can be whatever he pleases as long as he's an interesting guy I'll enjoy beating up.

Guess it's a bit too early to think much of him based only on his look and not knowing the context of his quote there, beyond 'what hair stuff does he use?'. =p

But that's boring, almost all of the rivals were hateable. I want more which aren't hateable. ;;

Overall though I hope it's not the same boring thing of "turn out to be bad and then eventually befriend". >__>; I want a new twist on that.

Arc
April 13th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Taking a look from his design. I think he will be rude and cocky. He probably lives in the same town as the Protag, because it looks like he is wearing a wetsuit under his clothing. It would also be nice to have a rude and cocky rival again. Cheren and Bianca were too friendly. And Barry, was just weird.

Kaori
April 13th, 2012, 06:15 PM
But that's boring, almost all of the rivals were hateable. I want more which aren't hateable. ;;

Overall though I hope it's not the same boring thing of "turn out to be bad and then eventually befriend". >__>; I want a new twist on that.
How is a nice rival going to make it less boring? Didn't Bianca/Cheren give enough of that? :P

I agree though on the last part. But I more want the rival to be in the middle of good and bad. Just because he seems so...wicked and charming (like I haven't said that before).

N
April 13th, 2012, 06:29 PM
One of the site's I just read says that he was childhood friends with the protags, and then sort of took the wrong path.

That could be neat.

Arago
April 13th, 2012, 06:31 PM
It says on the trailer, according to Erica, that they're childhood friends.

n______________n

Forever
April 13th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Oh thank God, a relation to BW! ...sorta, and their childhood friends thing. Sadly though that means he's likely to be somewhat of a carbon copy of Cheren though at the end imo, or at least I feel like he will be. :(

Arago
April 13th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I hope his personality is so different from it. What I'm hoping his personality will be is a mixture of Barry and Gary. Some medium between the two.

http://serebii.net/black2white2/pics.shtml#

The rival and protagonist are together in most of these pictures. SQUEEEE!!!

Hiroshi Sotomura
April 13th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Still waiting to see if this guy will leave as much of an impression as Bel and Cheren did.

It always seemed awkward giving a name to someone with an actual personality. I would've liked a named rival as a result. An implied "relationship" between the player and the rival would work, but to spill character into the guy and leave him nameless seems weird especially given Cheren and Bel had a lot of personality and couldn't be named.

Cherrim
April 13th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Again? This is not wildly exciting after the first BW where both rivals were your childhood friends. It would be more interesting if they did something new with him, like have you travel around together, but this isn't a typical JRPG so they wouldn't want to make dialogue the whole way. But seriously, I don't like the childhood friends thing because it's so unrealistic that you wouldn't travel with them. :(

*shrug* He sounds pretty generic from what Nick's shoved in my face to translate. :P

Wings Don't Cry
April 13th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Honestly after hearing about the info that's been given about the rival I'm a bit disappointed.

In all honesty when I saw his artwork I was thinking they might have made the rival as a character who is slightly older than the protagonist and set out on his journey before you. In doing so he's reached great heights within the region and now you're trying to catch up to where he is.

I've probably read One Piece too many times but I was really hoping more of a older sibling type relationship from this rival than the set out on a journey at the same time and race to the top theme they had going for other rivals.

The protagonists just look so much younger compared to the others while the rival looks older than the protagonists.

Hiroshi Sotomura
April 13th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Honestly after hearing about the info that's been given about the rival I'm a bit disappointed.

In all honesty when I saw his artwork I was thinking they might have made the rival as a character who is slightly older than the protagonist and set out on his journey before you. In doing so he's reached great heights within the region and now you're trying to catch up to where he is.

I've probably read One Piece too many times but I was really hoping more of a older sibling type relationship from this rival than the set out on a journey at the same time and race to the top theme they had going for other rivals.

The protagonists just look so much younger compared to the others while the rival looks older than the protagonists.
Does knowing the rival has a younger sister make you feel any better?

YOUNGER SISTER!

Wings Don't Cry
April 13th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Does knowing the rival has a younger sister make you feel any better?

YOUNGER SISTER!

That depends, is she actually going to be part of the story or does she give me a town map and never becomes relevant again?

Raichupacabra
April 13th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I see the rival as a Blue with some seriousness on the top.

RedJ
April 13th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I see future shippings of the female protag with this rival for some reason. Honestly, I SUPPORT IT.

....because it's going to happen anyway? =P

Anywho. I'm liking the idea of "childhood friend who went down the wrong path" idea. Who knows, maybe he'll STAY that way. That would certainly be different for once.

Kaori
April 13th, 2012, 08:53 PM
^ This is true. Besides, it's better than having two lost rivals who don't know what they're aiming for in the Pokémon world very well. :(

But if you think about it, somehow GameFreak is going to want to implement a lesson learned in the games. If the rival remains going down the wrong path, it's a bad example. But if going down the wrong path helps the rivalry between the protagonist epic enough, I'm all for it. As long as the rival stays clever and charming. ...Somehow.

Jellicent♀
April 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I have to admit, he's on of my favorite rivals ever, based on design alone. If he IS one of those "going down the wrong path and you must stop him" type of characters, I'm going to be ticked. I don't want to play a Naruto/Pokemon crossover, with your rival being Sasuke and you being Naruto. I want to play a Pokemon game. It'd be great if he WERE a little more advanced, and a bit more mature. But something tells me he'll be the same generic rival who does care about you, but also has a high sense of himself at all times.

Forever
April 13th, 2012, 08:58 PM
^ This is true. Besides, it's better than having two lost rivals who don't know what they're aiming for in the Pokémon world very well. :(

But if you think about it, somehow GameFreak is going to want to implement a lesson learned in the games. If the rival remains going down the wrong path, it's a bad example. But if going down the wrong path helps the rivalry between the protagonist epic enough, I'm all for it. As long as the rival stays clever and charming. ...Somehow.

Well I don't have an issue with him going the wrong path the whole way, since it would make for a nice twist - maybe he could be an undercover bad guy sorta, and be like swayed that way when growing up and eventually end up suffering at the hands of your protagonist. Good twist imo.

Kaori
April 13th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I think it would be good if at the end, he would want to make a difference but not yet do so. That way we can conclude he'll change, but not exactly. It makes a good closure for both the protagonist and the rival, so they can still remain great friends even through it all, without him having to imply that he has changed already for the good.

Forever
April 13th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I think it would be good if at the end, he would want to make a difference but not yet do so. That way we can conclude he'll change, but not exactly. It makes a good closure for both the protagonist and the rival, so they can still remain great friends even through it all, without him having to imply that he has changed already for the good.

So as kinda being like "not going to listen to you, protag" then see him hugging a Minccino or something? <-- that of course being the kind of thing he'd do, like a badass but good guy at heart? Possibly that could work, but reminds me a lot of other games. :(

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
April 13th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I have a feeling that he'll be more like Blue than Silver (partially due to being a childhood friend too). He might have a mix of Barry and throws temper tantrum's when annoyed.

Turn-it
April 13th, 2012, 11:06 PM
I think the rival and protagonist might have grown up together. As far as the rival's personality, I think he's going to come off ass arrogant, cool, laid back, but awesome all in one.

wombateiro
April 14th, 2012, 05:18 AM
I think rival will be arrogant but only for strangers, I guess he'll be treating protagonist as his ally in fighting with others.

Anywho. I'm liking the idea of "childhood friend who went down the wrong path" idea. Who knows, maybe he'll STAY that way. That would certainly be different for once.

I thought it would be nice to make it depending on player's choices during storyline. There should be finally nonlinear storyline in Pokemon game. B/W was nonlinear in very small part (depending on your answer to N's question about having any dreams, his last speech varies), so I hope B2/W2 storyline will give player choices which would have serious impact on next events.

giradialkia
April 14th, 2012, 05:25 AM
I have no idea what the relationship between the player and rival will be- perhaps I would if I could understand Japanese, haha. I believe there's a clip in the trailer of the Rival talking with what looks like the new opposing 'Team' to me- if we could understand what he was saying perhaps that might give insight on what kind of character he'll be? Although I'll admit that's a long shot.

I'm not too pushed on what kind of Rival he'll be- someone above suggested a 'good boy who went down the wrong path, but stays that way' would be an interesting deviation from the norm, but I really don't mind.

CloudNine
April 14th, 2012, 05:29 AM
yeah I was going to say, he kind of reminds me of rival Blue. Which is cool

Kaori
April 14th, 2012, 07:26 AM
You know, I actually see the rival being more strong minded than arrogant. But if the protagonist and him are childhood friends and he does turn out to be pretty rude and whatnot, I wonder what the relationship will be like (to where it will still make the ending between the two, interesting). Because it's hard to tell judging by his design.

Jellicent♀
April 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM
You know, I actually see the rival being more strong minded than arrogant. But if the protagonist and him are childhood friends and he does turn out to be pretty rude and whatnot, I wonder what the relationship will be like (to where it will still make the ending between the two, interesting). Because it's hard to tell judging by his design.

I think it'd be more like a Gary vs Ash if that were the case. Basing this off of design alone, he seems like he would be a sweetheart. Basing this off of fandom world-wide, he seems like a headstrong kid who tries to better himself without knowing which path, good or evil, can help him do that, so he chooses to tamper with both, ultimately indirectly saving the day, while remaining neutral.

RedJ
April 14th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I think it'd be more like a Gary vs Ash if that were the case. Basing this off of design alone, he seems like he would be a sweetheart. Basing this off of fandom world-wide, he seems like a headstrong kid who tries to better himself without knowing which path, good or evil, can help him do that, so he chooses to tamper with both, ultimately indirectly saving the day, while remaining neutral.

Struggling with the choice of Black or White, he chooses to dabble in shades of Grey...

Hmm. Maybe I'm reading to much into it. Although they did sort of touch on that with the original B/W, so maybe they're continuing with that?

Kaori
April 14th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Struggling with the choice of Black or White, he chooses to dabble in shades of Grey...

Hmm. Maybe I'm reading to much into it. Although they did sort of touch on that with the original B/W, so maybe they're continuing with that?
Ooh, I like that. :o

Perhaps he has a harsh background story that made him who he was today, and one of the things he learns along the way of traveling is how to turn away from it. Our protagonist would try to make him see in the better light as well? Sure it's a generic "evil at first, good in the end", but I think a background story behind it all that continued to bother/follow him, would make it at the least bit more mysterious and interesting.

Oryx
April 14th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Idk I hate the idea of "I'm evil I'm evil I'm evil whoop I'm good now!" It's just so boring and overdone no matter how you dress it up. ;x I want an arrogant know-it-all rival who's condescending to the PC but in a "maybe some day you'll be as good as me" kind of way, who's shocked when you beat him in the end, lol.

Kaori
April 14th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I think it would be awesome if like he starts off as a childhood friend, as confirmed, but then a plot twist occurs sometime where it reveals he's joined with the evil team because maybe their ideals appeal to him, or maybe the professor (assuming he's evil) somehow convinces him.
...I like this. It's really different, and technically there would be a lesson learned in the end since we're obviously going to beat the bad guys. :P

But yeah, this is actually a really good idea for the rival. It changes from the generic childhood friendship for sure.

Edit: y u delete such a gr8 idea

April 14th, 2012, 11:54 AM
^ This reminds me a bit of Riku from KH...it's been done...but I wouldn't mind seeing it again ^_^

Jellicent♀
April 14th, 2012, 12:07 PM
^ This reminds me a bit of Riku from KH...it's been done...but I wouldn't mind seeing it again ^_^

I got the same exact thought, actually. But it also reminds me a little bit like N. How he was good, became evilish but didn't know he was evilish, and then became good. But maybe, if they do make the rival evil, that he will remain in the shadows after you defeat him for the last time? I doubt they'd go to the extreme of never seeing him again, but maybe it'll be to where he isn't just out in the open, like, you have to go search for him or something.

Mew~
April 14th, 2012, 12:24 PM
He looks kind of smug to me, which isn't really anything new compared to past rivals. I just quite like his design. He doesn't seem that mysterious. Both him and the other two protagonists seem to be wearing [swimsuits] under their clothes (although it's a little hard to tell with his trousers) but yeah - I think that shows some relationship from where they come from.

N
April 14th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Idk I hate the idea of "I'm evil I'm evil I'm evil whoop I'm good now!" It's just so boring and overdone no matter how you dress it up. ;x I want an arrogant know-it-all rival who's condescending to the PC but in a "maybe some day you'll be as good as me" kind of way, who's shocked when you beat him in the end, lol.

But that's been done most of the anime rivals. D:

Shinji and Drew were that way originally..

IMO this rival is cool, regardless. XD

Oryx
April 14th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Well I don't watch the anime so that doesn't relate to me. D;

Kaori
April 14th, 2012, 04:40 PM
But that's been done most of the anime rivals. D:

Shinji and Drew were that way originally..

IMO this rival is cool, regardless. XD
^ Basically! I can't wait to see what GameFreak has in mind for our rival.

So in our hometown he follows us around the city which is pretty awesome. I wish I knew what the dialogue was all about, just so I could determine his attitude toward the protagonist. :B

Jellicent♀
April 14th, 2012, 04:43 PM
^ Basically! I can't wait to see what GameFreak has in mind for our rival.

So in our hometown he follows us around the city which is pretty awesome. I wish I knew what the dialogue was all about, just so I could determine his attitude toward the protagonist. :B
I thought it was kind of cute that he followed the main character. c':
I'm hoping that since he was following the protagonist that he's friendly towards us. Of course, he could be a jerk that was like "That's the school, stupid y u so n00b?" So there's always that scenario.

Kaori
April 14th, 2012, 04:54 PM
If he's friendly in the beginning, I'm hoping either Akumora or Team Plasma (orrr, the new evil team if not Plasma) will make him "realize what he wants to do in life". Then he could join their side, and be this epic rival we never had before.

pokemonpokemonpokemon59
April 14th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Rival Reminds me of a mental image I have of Gale from the Hunger Games....

sonia789
April 15th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I think his personality is like Silver, Blue, and Barry. Or maybe only clever and charming to the player and friends.

Mew~
April 15th, 2012, 09:02 AM
If he's friendly in the beginning, I'm hoping either Akumora or Team Plasma (orrr, the new evil team if not Plasma) will make him "realize what he wants to do in life". Then he could join their side, and be this epic rival we never had before.
Aha, that does kind of sound like a cool scenario, not exactly original - but I suppose for a Pokémon game. I could picture it quite well.

Forever
April 15th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I think his personality is like Silver, Blue, and Barry. Or maybe only clever and charming to the player and friends.

Misread as female, which is interesting, because other than the female protagonist, I think he might be a womanizer in order to get to where he needs to get. Or at least willing to pull all the shots to win. ;)

Kaori
April 15th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I see the rival acting like he knows it all more than a womanizer. :p

I guess towards the protagonist he'll be more like Gary/Barry (but in less of a rush) in a way, since they are childhood friends. To everyone else, he could be pushy and wicked.

April 15th, 2012, 05:00 PM
^ I agree, I see him as being all Barry and May/Brandon to us, but Blue like to everyone else, that would mean that he only feels confortable with people he knows and comes off as rude to those he doesn't know...that's an interesting characteristic combo I haven't seen in any rival in the games so far.

Clacla
April 15th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I hope his personality is so different from it. What I'm hoping his personality will be is a mixture of Barry and Gary. Some medium between the two.

http://serebii.net/black2white2/pics.shtml#

The rival and protagonist are together in most of these pictures. SQUEEEE!!!

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but maybe there will finally be a rival that sticks with you most of the game? I'd feel happier, knowing that my true friends weren't only Pokemon, tbh.

April 15th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Maybe the player is the only friend the rival has due to his attitude which is why he follows us so closely, making his dependent on us...if that's the case I'll feel sorry for him :(

Kaori
April 15th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but maybe there will finally be a rival that sticks with you most of the game? I'd feel happier, knowing that my true friends weren't only Pokemon, tbh.
YES. I would love this! I'm hoping that the rival/protagonist will be close enough to travel and stick together more than just at random points in the games. The rivals going off on their own to be stronger than you gets boring and it's very generic.

Jellicent♀
April 15th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Oh my God, and what if you're going through the grass with him with you, you meet a wild Pokemon, and he catches the Pokemon on the route, instead of having a SET team? That would be magical. <333

April 15th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Oh my God, and what if you're going through the grass with him with you, you meet a wild Pokemon, and he catches the Pokemon on the route, instead of having a SET team? That would be magical. <333
I can see that happening with his second Pokemon similar to how Wally caught his first Pokemon, minus we actually have to weaken it this time rather than the computer working ^_^.

Clacla
April 15th, 2012, 05:25 PM

That would be cool. And double battles in grass with your rival, and every here and there he catches a Pokemon. I could see myself putting his Pokemon asleep, or KOing it, because he could become an annoying thief.

Kaori
April 15th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I can see that happening with his second Pokemon similar to how Wally caught his first Pokemon, minus we actually have to weaken it this time rather than the computer working ^_^.
I'd kill the Pokémon he would try to catch on purpose. ;) Which you also have to take into account. It would be fun if the protagonist and rival traveled together, but he should also venture off and catch Pokémon by himself so we'll be "surprised".

April 15th, 2012, 05:30 PM
He could leave after we arrive in a town, and arrive in the following one to challenge us, then we go together again and so on. I can also see him teaming up with us like Steven and Barry did against the antagonists.
Part of me is also hoping that their is a second rival we have yet to see...like Wally did, except she doesn't steal the whole spot light of the first rival.

Antemortem
April 15th, 2012, 05:34 PM
The rival is absolutely adorable looking and his hair speaks so many words in terms of good fashion sense. His jacket and everything are just so cool. Honestly, I have to say he is the coolest rival ever, outclassing that of Brendan; one of which I thought would never be topped for me. (that hat owo~)

Anyway, I think he's an unrelated kid to the protagonists. I'm thinking that he's somehow related to the Professor, just for a toss up in the family trees, and has heard of the protagonists around the city and when the day comes that they can take a journey, he confronts the protagonist.

so kawaii~

April 15th, 2012, 05:37 PM
The rival is absolutely adorable looking and his hair speaks so many words in terms of good fashion sense. His jacket and everything are just so cool. Honestly, I have to say he is the coolest rival ever, outclassing that of Brendan; one of which I thought would never be topped for me. (that hat owo~)

Anyway, I think he's an unrelated kid to the protagonists. I'm thinking that he's somehow related to the Professor, just for a toss up in the family trees, and has heard of the protagonists around the city and when the day comes that they can take a journey, he confronts the protagonist.

so kawaii~
It's been confirmed that he was the protagonist's childhood friend. Him being related to the proffesor would bring back so many memories...

He is quite cool looking, even more so than Blue and Silver...

Jellicent♀
April 15th, 2012, 05:44 PM
It's been confirmed that he was the protagonist's childhood friend. Him being related to the proffesor would bring back so many memories...

Like Giovanni and Silver?
I kind of hope this isn't one of those types of scenarios, but if it is, I definitely don't want it to be that Akuroma is the father. I want him to be an older brother, at most.

Though it would be neat if they had some sort of relationship between the two, family or friends and such. That would only make me more suspicious of the rival, though. Which is ok. I still love him. <3333

Antemortem
April 15th, 2012, 05:46 PM

More childhood friends... great, cliches to the max.

April 15th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Like Giovanni and Silver?
I kind of hope this isn't one of those types of scenarios, but if it is, I definitely don't want it to be that Akuroma is the father. I want him to be an older brother, at most.

Though it would be neat if they had some sort of relationship between the two, family or friends and such. That would only make me more suspicious of the rival, though. Which is ok. I still love him. <3333
That would make the Rival seem so much like Silver and N...
Maybe he's a friend of the prof's who is fooled into misleading the Main character away from the evil groups activities...then he teams up with the player after find out he's been used as a pawn.

Forever
April 16th, 2012, 12:05 AM

So battle at basically every town or something? Or meet up at every town? Might kinda get a bit repetitive though :( I think there is a good thing in not seeing the rival that often. XD;

Mew~
April 16th, 2012, 01:57 AM
So battle at basically every town or something? Or meet up at every town? Might kinda get a bit repetitive though :( I think there is a good thing in not seeing the rival that often. XD;
I'm not too sure about most of the time, and through a lot of the journey through Unova. He doesn't exactly look like he'd want to, he still has that smugness about him if you ask me. I'd quite like it if it were in set events occasionally throughout the game. Sort of like how you team up with Cheryl, Riley, Mira, Buck and Marley in D/P. I'd actually quite like to see a bunch of more trainers in B2/W2 like them, I found it quite fun.

Overlord Drakow
April 16th, 2012, 02:00 AM
This rival dude does seem like a bit of a badass to me. Things will probably be quite competitive between the rival and the protagonists.

Kaori
April 16th, 2012, 02:03 AM
He could leave after we arrive in a town, and arrive in the following one to challenge us, then we go together again and so on. I can also see him teaming up with us like Steven and Barry did against the antagonists.
Part of me is also hoping that their is a second rival we have yet to see...like Wally did, except she doesn't steal the whole spot light of the first rival.
SHE.
SHE.

http://reparaciondepc.cl/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Lol-face-meme.jpg

I think it would be nice for us to meet our rivals a lot more than at random points in the games! Like the anime but not throughout our entire adventure. To see him and battle him at least more than we usually get to with the previous rivals, would be cool.

Jellicent♀
April 16th, 2012, 04:38 AM
I think it would be nice for us to meet our rivals a lot more than at random points in the games! Like the anime but not throughout our entire adventure. To see him and battle him at least more than we usually get to with the previous rivals, would be cool.

I want this. Especially at that movie theater place. That would be awesome. It'd feel more like a rival if he were to participate in big events like a tournament or something (if they even have those in this game) or Contests or something similar to that, rather than some kid who just challenges me to a battle every time he gets a shiny brooch from a guy in a wet suit surrounded by lilypads.

Oryx
April 16th, 2012, 05:36 AM
I like the random encounters though and wouldn't want to lose that, because it makes sense. Not like the rival will know where you are every step of the way, so when you do meet up it's just by chance and random, which is what I think the random encounters are trying to portray. I like the idea of him participating in the non-training stuff in the region too though, even if it's only done once or twice.

Jellicent♀
April 16th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Right. He has to have a small case of the Gary Oak Syndrome, but not after every single gym battle or right before every single cave. But the idea of him taking place in things that don't concern training or the such just, idk, makes it seem more real, to me.

Oryx
April 16th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Although we have to question whether or not that matches with his personality. It would have made sense to see Bianca in the musicals, but considering his expression and his "I'm going to rage" motto, will he be the type of person to compete in things outside of training just for fun?

Jellicent♀
April 16th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Hmm. Muy bien point there. If his personality is that he's better than us at everything, I could see him doing it to try and prove that point. However, now that I take his motto into consideration, idk. I HOPE HE DOES, THOUGH. Still, he could very well scoff at the protagonist for participating in such things.

Lancelot-sama!
April 16th, 2012, 04:09 PM
To make it short, I'd say the rival would be a character you really wouldn't want as your enemy, but you'd definitely want him as your good friend.

I felt he was kinda of a mix of two types of rivals we've seen before, which was either "your faithful and kind childhood friend" or the "mean and cold kid on the block." He can be capable of being very aggressive and violent, but at the same he can be your man to count on. As for his 'slogan' I don't really thinks he means to throw himself into a rage fit, but maybe he's trying to say something like "I'm getting fired/pumped up!". I can imagine him being hot-blooded guy, and perhaps even protective as he has a younger sister.

I think the sister factor kind of rules him out as being a complete jerk or anti-social guy like Silver, but then again we still know very little about him too. I'm sure he values his younger sibling, even going out of the way of walking with her until he met up with the protagonist. In fact, we even saw him tag along with our main playable character around the town. We don't know why he does, but it must mean he enjoys the player's company.

In the video we couldn't really see where the battle started, when, or how, but I can guess that it began once they've reached lookout place perhaps? Maybe the reason he followed you was because, kind of like tagging with Jun/Barry to Lake Verity, you were expected to take him to that place. Maybe a battle was arranged at the lookout beforehand? Probably. That or he suddenly thought to have the battle at the lookout because maybe he wanted to have the first battle at a 'memorable' place. I know it's just me thinking like that, but I kind of like that thought.

.... Of course I can be completely wrong lol!

Who knows, guess we have to wait, but I feel as though I rambled a bit too much.

April 16th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Maybe the battle began after getting their starter like how Bianca and Cheren did, only they decide to go outside instead of battling in the lab, or house so that they won't destroy it (BW call back).
I agree that the Rival proably isn't all that antisocial, perhaps he simply likes to fight for fun...

Livewire_
April 16th, 2012, 06:12 PM
He has that confident, cocky swagger look to him. So he'll probably be like Gary/Blue.

I like him already!

Jellicent♀
April 16th, 2012, 06:14 PM
^Ain't it great? Even in my theme he has the whole "Wtf you want?" look to him.
I'm starting to think that he is that cocky little bugger that everyone wants to hit but still loves him anyway.

Forever
April 16th, 2012, 06:14 PM
I think the sister factor kind of rules him out as being a complete jerk or anti-social guy like Silver, but then again we still know very little about him too. I'm sure he values his younger sibling, even going out of the way of walking with her until he met up with the protagonist. In fact, we even saw him tag along with our main playable character around the town. We don't know why he does, but it must mean he enjoys the player's company.

Not necessarily, he could be putting on a facade for her because of some... deep family reason and as a result he really is that way to everyone else except her. ;x PLUS out of the home town he no longer would have to... impress anyone so he could be himself?

RedJ
April 16th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Not necessarily, he could be putting on a facade for her because of some... deep family reason and as a result he really is that way to everyone else except her. ;x PLUS out of the home town he no longer would have to... impress anyone so he could be himself?

Or MAYBE he does the jerky things that he does BECAUSE of her. For some weird reason (and assuming he is a jerk in the first place).

I dunno, I've seen it before, so it could happen >_>

April 16th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Or maybe he's trying to act all tough and cool for his little sister, trying to make her think he's the strongest in the land but is secretly friendly...

Kaori
April 17th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Well I think that he may be trying to set off an example of what a real trainer is like, and impress her in that way. He wants to look cool in front of his sister. :B But, I still think it's cute that he has one and walked with her. Rival/sister relationship!

Unrelated, but I wish our protagonist had a little brother or sister. Maybe even a sibling that goes off on their journey the same time as us and they would be our pseudo rival.

I really want to find out more about the rival/protagonist relationship and his relationship with anyone though to be honest. :[ It's killing me!

Jellicent♀
April 17th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Maybe he is putting on a show, for everyone! Maybe he is a little bit evil, but plays the role of nice guy in order to get people to trust him. Like a spy, almost. But maybe, even though he's really evil, he truly cares for the protagonist regardless of his plans.

April 17th, 2012, 06:30 AM
I don't see him as evil, but rather rude. Maybe he simply doesn't know to be nice to people he doesn't know unlike his sister and you.

Forever
April 17th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Acting badass for her works, but at the end if it came down to a moral thing where he had to make a decision, she'd... probably try to convince him otherwise. Then your protagonist wins and all is well when everything goes back to normal and he's... himself again. :3;

Kenshin5
April 18th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I don't think the rival has to act badass per say. That may be in his persona as a badass. I mean he certainly looks the part to me at least. My initially thoughts were he seems fine with people he knows, but to do people like that "police" force in Nimbasa he may be hostile toward. I can see this rivalry at a between of Cheren/Bianca & Gary. I don't see it too the degree of say Silver or Paul though. The rival may have more then a friendly rival, but not a bitter rivalry at the same time. I could see it more of him talking crap to you then anything. From appearance though he does seem to have an air of superiority along with some swag.

April 18th, 2012, 09:30 PM
To me he seems like someone who won't let himself be bossed around, good thing the player isn't ever bossy (maybe that's why he likes her/him).
He does seem to give out that cool aura...but it might be all surface, he might have hidden depths like N did for all we know...

Hikomi Yuuki
April 21st, 2012, 10:30 PM
Appearance-wise, he's quite handsome, and his jacket add a cool touch to his simple, yet attractive design. And I'm such a sucker for those kind of unrealistic anime fro.
Personality-wise, we all know nothing about him. But it's reasonable to presume that he will have a rather smug personality. Over-confident, but not too arrogant to the point of jerkassery like Gary. A rivalry relationship wil blossomed between you and him, but doesn't harbor the kind of bitterness Silver and Ethan had. And he definitely seems more mature than Barry and Bianca.
And I heard somewhere that he's very protective of his sister, and willing to do anything for her...Very interested in the direction this is going.

Kaori
April 23rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
I want this rival to have multiple character traits. A side of him that won't stand for your opinion/thoughts, a side of him that is forgiving, clever, charming, sincere and eager. Then of course that wicked/smug side of him. & With all of this, he wouldn't know what road to go down and he does several things to achieve his goal but always jumps to another. The protagonist as his sidekick will try with him to conquer all of this madness, but soon enough he gets caught up in trouble (perhaps with Akuroma and whatever evil team there may be). Then the storyline begins as well as the relationship with the protagonist! The protagonist must try and change the rival's views and remind him what life was like for the two of them since childhood.

I don't know, I think that would be cool. I'm sure there are much better ideas though!

Essentials
April 23rd, 2012, 09:13 PM
I predict -- like what y'all said -- he'll be cocky, arrogant and rude. He's sort of a mixture of Paul, Gary and ... oh, yeah, N. But if you look at him, he looks like a nice guy, you know? I hope he'll have a heart -- unlike Paul, heartless and cruel. Even if it's the smallest of hearts.

Captain Fabio
April 24th, 2012, 12:30 AM
I'm thinking that the rival is gonna be cocky, a bit like Gary / Green, since that's something that hasn't been done since Gen 3, with Silver. Though, Silver started out just mean, and I don't think the BW2 rival will be quite that bad. xD;

I am thinking along the same lines as this really.

I liked that type of attitude in a rival and I am not a fan of a rival being your friend. It is alright, but just not the same for me.

Jellicent♀
April 24th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I am thinking along the same lines as this really.

I liked that type of attitude in a rival and I am not a fan of a rival being your friend. It is alright, but just not the same for me.

I agree. Your "rival" acting like he's your best friend in the world and doesn't want to hurt your Pokemon because you're so close feels more like a boyfriend/girlfriend rather than a rival. If he's my rival I want him to want to destroy my hopes and dreams, and then I want to watch myself crush his plans into tiny little pieces. That's the type of rival I want. So I'm really pulling for the rival in Black 2 and White 2 to be cocky and arrogant as all get out, while still liking you as a person, but still wanting to crush you.

Kaori
April 25th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I agree. Your "rival" acting like he's your best friend in the world and doesn't want to hurt your Pokemon because you're so close feels more like a boyfriend/girlfriend rather than a rival. If he's my rival I want him to want to destroy my hopes and dreams, and then I want to watch myself crush his plans into tiny little pieces. That's the type of rival I want. So I'm really pulling for the rival in Black 2 and White 2 to be cocky and arrogant as all get out, while still liking you as a person, but still wanting to crush you.
I see the childhood friendship and the bond between the rival and protagonist as a key to competition to better the both of the characters. It's like a competition with your friend to try and get the highest grade on a test -- you're both going to put effort into it and in the end you will both succeed, however one might get the best victory out of it. In this case, it doesn't necessarily mean that he won't hurt your Pokémon because of it, and GameFreak wouldn't even do that for a rival. O_o

I like the friendship rivalry because it shows a compassion and competitive side.

Jellicent♀
April 25th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Well yeah I like the friendship and whatnot, but I'd rather a friendship be built at the end, more like Gary/Blue. Gary hated Ash all the way up until the end, and then they became great friends and even better rivals towards one another.
It was cute for a while hating the friend be a rival, but after a while you kind of want Silver back. The kid who thinks he's the greatest and can't be beat, but then learns in the end that he was wrong, you were right, and you will always be better.

I just want him to be a jerk who loves me in the end, is all. ;;
You know, like one of those romantic comedies.

Guy
April 25th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Based upon the rival's appearance, I don't think he'll be another Silver. He definitely looks like he'll be cocky and confident, but I don't think he'll be the type of trainer who comes off as rude.

I hear he's another childhood friend rival, so here's how I can picture him in the games, or at least how I'd like him to be. This all depends on how far GameFreak is actually willing to play with the rival's development. Anyway, growing up as friends he's always been the lesser version of you in the eyes of other people at school and home. At some point in time, the friendship grew distant as he started to become jealous of all the glory and attention you received. That's when he gradually changed into more of the loner type and started to do things on his own so people would stop comparing him with you.

When his younger sister was born, she started to idolize you more like an older sibling than her own brother. This is what really sends your rival off the deep end. He swears to himself that he'll be better. He swears to himself that he'll be better than you, and that he'll finally receive the recognition he deserves and that his sister will admire him more than she admires you, as nothing hurts more than when your own family praises someone else and sort of ignores your accomplishments in light of someone else.

So he ends up this cocky and confident character, but really he's just an insecure trainer searching for the recognition of his own accomplishments rather than be compared to you all the time. That's when he falls into the hands of the [secretly sinister] Professor Akuroma, who gives him all the attention and praise he's always wanted growing up. Your rival finds comfort in the attention he gets from this highly recognized professor, but really the professor is just using him to advance on his own evil plot.

By the end, your rival comes into the light of what the professor has been up to with him all this time, and when all is done and over with, he finds the real truth in himself and a new sense of confidence. A confidence that he is good at something [what that is, I have no idea yet] and that he will continue to get better at it. He realizes that he no longer has to compete with you to be better at everything, but that he is talented in his own skill and will work on improving it. This is where he receives the right type of recognition from others, and more importantly his sister and family that changes him to be a better person, and of course, a better friend to you.

All that said, the chances of this actually happening are probably slim to none!

Beth
April 27th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Aw. Don't leave poor Bianca out. haha
Barry, though, I will never miss him.
I'm sorry, but he was just annoying, always bumping into me...*mumbles*
Er...I wonder if it will be a love relationship? Probably not if there aren't two rivals whom is your opposite sex...no doubt some fans would like that, however. lol.

Forever
April 28th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Er...I wonder if it will be a love relationship? Probably not if there aren't two rivals whom is your opposite sex...no doubt some fans would like that, however. lol.

The rival doesn't really seem like one for love with the main character. :x I mean even if it's the female and rival, I don't see anything more than just a fan shipping. XD; He doesn't seem like the friendliest of guys.

IKawaiiThief
April 28th, 2012, 02:39 PM
The rival could be your cousin or something, and both of you set out on a journey after your dad and his uncle ( coz he's your cousin ) gives you both a starter each. He lives in the new Starting City as well.

Beth
April 28th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Love is surprising. My sister and her boyfriend have nothing in common and they've been dating for 2 year o.o

Forever
April 28th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Love is surprising. My sister and her boyfriend have nothing in common and they've been dating for 2 year o.o

Well it's not that the protag/rival wouldn't have anything in common, it's just that he doesn't seem like the type for love or crushes. :(

Flygon-Gal
April 29th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Well it's not that the protag/rival wouldn't have anything in common, it's just that he doesn't seem like the type for love or crushes. :(

And by I know there is only one rival, so I don't really think that would happen O_o

Kenmoor
May 1st, 2012, 01:49 PM
Errr... the jackass/cocky/over-confident rival turned into our lover? (Wut?) If Game Freak really did that to the rival then...they're trolls. Seriously, trolls.
Anyways to get the thread back on topic (without starting some shipping/fan fiction) I think Mr.Le Jackass Mr.Rival will be over-protective of his sister (like Bianca's dad protectiveness) and he'll apparently have this idea that whatever he does is for the good of his sister and the Protagonist is just in the way.
Or we could screw that idea and say Mr.Protagonist got spicy with his sister... heh, heh, heh... heh. And the rivalry is just some sort of revenge...
Wait, just how old is his sister? 'Cause then a younger bro protecting his older sis just seems a bit too cute, for me. Actually it still seems cute either way...

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
May 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM
My first thought was that he seems really like Silver :) I think he'll be like him or have the personality of Gary :)

dreamcatcher
May 8th, 2012, 10:17 AM
You know what I'd like to see in a Pokémon game? Romance ;) it'd make for a more engrossing gaming experience and add a whole new dimension to the Pokémon games. :)

Kaori
May 8th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I agree, but I think the relationship with the protagonists and the rival will remain as good childhood friends. Like Flygon-Gal said, we've only been revealed one and it seems unlikely that GameFreak would add in extra lines between the rival and the female protagonist if you choose her.

Jellicent♀
May 8th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Plus, I think parents may be a bit ticked if they developed a love relationship. Pokemon is about friends and rainbows. Sure we've seen characters attracted to each other, but never have they actually formed anything with it that wasn't already existent before they were introduced. They always just stay friends. Hopefully that's how it will stay, as friends, just a really cocky friend with wild hair.

Aquarius1997
May 8th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Since pokemon started to take its baby steps into making a more mature game i can see in the future generations a boy or girl rival(depending on who you choose) to have a actual relationship with the protagonist

Right now HELL NO

They couldnt do it because

1) most people would get mad because the boy character has no relationship
And
2) it wouldnt be rated E anymore which would really lower revenue

Also to me the character would be cocky but kind of supportive at the same time( going off what i saw when he led you to the outlook in the first city in the trailer)

Cid
May 8th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Why wouldn't it be rated E? Personally, I think a little romance wouldn't hurt the game. But it is pretty awkward for the male protagonist to not have anything, haha.

Anyway, I'm inclined to agree with Jellicent. Even though I think the rival will be more helpful and concerned at your progress rather than cocky. He does look like he can be a bit like Gary and Silver, but I really want his appearance to not dictate his actions, especially towards you. Or better yet, they should continue on giving good character development into the rival like the old games. Maybe he can turn dark, against the protagonist in the story maybe, then go back to the way he was, with a better resolve and experience or something. Or just follow the usual development and make the character go from really cocky and "Imma beat you in strength all the time!" to a changed man.

frosting
May 9th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Anyway, growing up as friends he's always been the lesser version of you in the eyes of other people at school and home.

Wait, since when do they go to school? And how does this rival do worse then me? o_o

Cid
May 9th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Wait, since when do they go to school? And how does this rival do worse then me? o_o
Originally thought this as a post comment but I'll go on ahead and reply. I think that post you were looking at was almost entirely hypothetical. Like it was something the poster envisioned to be the way GF would approach the rival and its relationship with the player. And "you" pertains to the main protagonist in B2/W2 that you'll be controlling.

Based upon the rival's appearance, I don't think he'll be another Silver. He definitely looks like he'll be cocky and confident, but I don't think he'll be the type of trainer who comes off as rude.

I hear he's another childhood friend rival, so here's how I can picture him in the games, or at least how I'd like him to be. This all depends on how far GameFreak is actually willing to play with the rival's development. Anyway, growing up as friends he's always been the lesser version of you in the eyes of other people at school and home. At some point in time, the friendship grew distant as he started to become jealous of all the glory and attention you received. That's when he gradually changed into more of the loner type and started to do things on his own so people would stop comparing him with you.

When his younger sister was born, she started to idolize you more like an older sibling than her own brother. This is what really sends your rival off the deep end. He swears to himself that he'll be better. He swears to himself that he'll be better than you, and that he'll finally receive the recognition he deserves and that his sister will admire him more than she admires you, as nothing hurts more than when your own family praises someone else and sort of ignores your accomplishments in light of someone else.

So he ends up this cocky and confident character, but really he's just an insecure trainer searching for the recognition of his own accomplishments rather than be compared to you all the time. That's when he falls into the hands of the [secretly sinister] Professor Akuroma, who gives him all the attention and praise he's always wanted growing up. Your rival finds comfort in the attention he gets from this highly recognized professor, but really the professor is just using him to advance on his own evil plot.

By the end, your rival comes into the light of what the professor has been up to with him all this time, and when all is done and over with, he finds the real truth in himself and a new sense of confidence. A confidence that he is good at something [what that is, I have no idea yet] and that he will continue to get better at it. He realizes that he no longer has to compete with you to be better at everything, but that he is talented in his own skill and will work on improving it. This is where he receives the right type of recognition from others, and more importantly his sister and family that changes him to be a better person, and of course, a better friend to you.

All that said, the chances of this actually happening are probably slim to none!
Now that I got a look at this post, I would love for this to happen. It even includes the professor who manages to manipulate your rival against you and all.