PDA

View Full Version : Retail Workers Union

Katholic Nun
April 17th, 2012, 05:11 AM
[css-div="width: 870px; height: 100%; border: 15px #006B41 solid;"][css-div="background-color: #FEFEFE; background-position: bottom; background-repeat: no-repeat; color: #000000"]http://i.imgur.com/Ozfno.png
http://i.imgur.com/SmlFR.png

What is the Retail Worker’s Union?
Do you have to deal with rude customers, funny co-workers or a surly manager breathing down your neck? Well I have good news for you: you are not alone!

This club is a place for you to come and talk about your jobs with a bunch of people who can empathise. If you had any particularly annoying customers today, or your boss said something especially infuriating – or even if you had a great day and just have a funny story to share – that’s the sort of stuff we want to hear and talk about!

Rules and Guidelines
All forum-wide rules apply.

This is going to be a more free-form group than Other Clubs is generally used to, in the sense that it will feed off the material we provide it rather than using formal discussion questions and outside resources like internet articles to generate discussion. But ‘free-form’ doesn’t mean ‘spam pit’, so please keep that in mind.

“The Retail Workers Union” is just a name; anybody can join this club. While it is geared toward people who work in retail because PC has a younger memberbase, if you have another type of job you want to talk about – or even if you just feel like you have something to contribute – feel free to join in!

No trolling other club members – this is meant to be a fun group but if somebody does have a serious issue they want to talk about, the last thing they need is people making fun of them.

Any questions? PM or VM me (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=252181)!

How to Sign Up
I'll make it really easy for you; no silly sign-up forms. Just say you want to join and start talking; I’ll take care of the rest :)

Member List

[css-div="border: 0px solid #CCCC99; width:816px; height:400px; color:black; padding-bottom:15px;"][css-div="background-color: #fcf2df; border: 0px solid #CCCC99; width:800px; height:400px; text-align:left; color:#000000; padding-left:15px; padding-bottom:15px; overflow:auto;"]A
aRedMoon
AzaleaLightning

B
Barrels
BlahISuck
botanicas

C
Captain Fabio
CarefulWetPaint

E
EvilSkittles

H
Harlequin

I
Izanagi.
Impo

J
Jellicent[Female]
Jorah

P
Patchisou Yutohru
PhantomX0990

R
R a c h e l
Razer302
Ravenfreak

S
Sector Revenge
Shanghai Alice
Shining Raichu
Shiny Celebi

V
vaporeon7

Y
Yusshin
[/css-div][/css-div]
[/css-div][/css-div]

Captain Fabio
April 22nd, 2012, 09:32 AM
Retail is one of the worst businesses to work in because you have to deal with a lot of people who think they know more about you than the product you are selling.

:3

CarefulWetPaint
April 22nd, 2012, 08:46 PM
I work in retail! Let me in!

@Fabio.
Oh how I hate those people with a passion, what about when people come in and you can't understand what they are saying and you just look back at them like.. WTF?!

Katholic Nun
April 23rd, 2012, 08:00 AM
YAY people! Welcome guys :D

Ironically it's taken me so long to reply because I've been busy with extra hours at work lol - there has been some crazy **** going on there recently thanks to the corporate offices; it's just so stupid and it needs to be made public just how stupid it is.

The liquor store chain I work for, Liquorland, is part of Coles - a larger supermarket chain that also owns Target and K Mart in Australia. We have this loyalty reward scheme called Flybuys where you scan your Flybuys card at the check out (this is for the benefit of the non-Australians) and earn points which you can exchange for Coles Group gift cards and other stuff. Anyway the whole Flybuys thing is getting a huge overhaul; they're making it better and way more worthwhile for the customers, they've got Dawn French doing TV ads for it, it's a whole big thing. Which is fantastic except that they of course have to make it a nightmare for the staff. They've given us these horrible light blue shirts with "flybuys" written on them to wear instead of our nice red ones and we have to put out an endless stack of promotional crap around the stores to promote it.

But here is the real kicker: the new scheme has this "My5" system where you go online and tell Coles the five products you buy the most and then whenever you scan your card you get 10% off those particular items. Which again is fantastic except that their way to promote it is that at 12 noon today we had to stop what we were doing and go around high-fiving people. They want us to go and high five each other and the customers in the store and make this huge goddamn scene out of nowhere... I have no idea what they're trying to accomplish but they're frikkin' insane.

And to prove that we did it, we had to take photos on our phones and e-mail them to head office. The staff members just basically staged a couple of photo shots with each other and the rest can bugger off but can you imagine the goddamn mayhem that would have caused in the supermarkets? Holy frikkin crap.

Captain Fabio
April 23rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
Here is a good story for you guys.

I was working, obviously, in House of Fraser and a woman came up to me who I sold a pair of jeans a couple of weeks ago; she didn't remember me which was amusing. Anyway, she came up to me and said she had been sold the wrong pair of jeans, that they were last seasons style and she paid full price for them. I remember serving her, because she was a dick, so I checked the receipt and the jeans. The jeans were the right season, the receipt was for those jeans, but she bought them 6 weeks ago and our return policy was 4 weeks.

SO, she started kicking off, saying they are wrong. I showed her the same jeans that were out on the rack, showing it was this seasons, she still didn't believe me. I then said as a part of our uniform, we have to wear the current seasons clothes; I was wearing the exact same jeans. She called me a liar, which I laughed at and just called over my manager. Explained what happened and what she said, manager turned around saying:

"I remember Will serving you last week and you said you weren't sure if they were the right size. So you can try all you want, but it is your own fault you missed the return date."

Was so hard not to laugh. She stormed off after that. Hahahahaha. MORON.

Shiny Celebi
April 23rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
Oh my gosh, I have so many stories you wont believe. I used to work at a Sears store. I worked there about 2 1/2 years. Im surprised I havent torn all my hair out as a result of the stress of that job.My job was basically to straighten clothing and other duties like stock work assisting customers, price changes, printing signs and things like that. It was pretty bad. Customers gave me a really hard time and made fun of the way I looked. They would often not even have a question about a product. Many were very diffcult to please( or next to impossible) and get away with stupid stuff because " the customer is always right" I was also usually the only person scheduled to tidy up meaning I had to manage both floors and it was stressful to try to get it straight on time. I could barely handle it.

Retail is the worst job you can get. If I could of helped it, I wouldnt have taken that job. Unfortunately Im likely to experience the same situation over again, though Im hoping for a job in a smaller place where its easier and more manegable and laid back.

vaporeon7
April 23rd, 2012, 01:18 PM
I need to join this~

Just a small story from my work:
I was working one morning at the checkouts when scrappily dressed woman came up to buy some DVDs. I was unusually perky that morning so I greeted her with a good morning and how are you? She grunted at me and responded with despicable. At that point I knew not to stretch out the transaction, but my plan to fly through it was foiled when she argued about some sale from the catalogue on the DVDs. I rang up the department and they said they weren't on sale, she became really angry and started complaining about false advertising. She then gave me the catalogue she had, which had the sale on it. I then got the pleasure of pointing out that the catalogue was from 3 months ago.

I'm glad I work in retail though, it's built up my patience a lot.

Captain Fabio
April 24th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Hot tip for you guys who do work in retail.

NEVER EVER WORK WHEN HUNGOVER! A 10 hour shift, starting at 9am in the morning. I felt so bloody horrible and having to deal with ratty customers made me want to go on a killing spree.

CarefulWetPaint
April 24th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Why working with a hangover cannot be that bad! I drove an hour home after having 2 hours of sleep and went to work straight away, I think that is much worse then being hung over my good man.

Captain Fabio
April 24th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Haha, I disagree. :P
When you throw in the headaches, feeling sick, being really warm in a hot shop and ALSO the lack of sleep because I got in at 5am and had to be at work for 9am, it isn't a nice experience.

Katholic Nun
April 24th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Woo more people! Welcome vappy and Shiny Celebi :D

Fabio, you work in a clothes store? I could have sworn you worked for the university on the phones for the IT people. Did that not work out?

Also omg I worked with somebody who was hung over once; it was terrible (you'd think working in a liquor store that'd happen more than once in three years, but I've been lucky I guess). It was a Saturday morning and he was just dead and didn't want to deal with the customers or do anything. So I had to run around filling fridges as well as coming back to serve 90% of the customers because he was just over it. Then the cherry on top of the sundae was when he all of a sudden sprinted out the back with more energy than I'd seen him muster all morning and I heard loud vomitting. I don't know if he made it to the bathroom and I don't want to know - I did not go out there for the rest of the day to find out lol

Captain Fabio
April 25th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Fabio, you work in a clothes store? I could have sworn you worked for the university on the phones for the IT people. Did that not work out?

Oh no I do! :)
I work as an IT Technician now but my previous jobs have been retail, so I am calling on memories instead of what just happened! :P

Katholic Nun
April 25th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Oh right! Haha, the way you were talking made it seem like this was all going on just recently

Captain Fabio
April 25th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Do I tell it that convincing? ;D
Yeh, I have many years of experience in retail so... :3

CarefulWetPaint
April 25th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Okay maybe being hungover dead and spewing out the back is the worst thing to do at work >.>

Has anyone ever had to kick out a customer before or yell at them for being stupid?

A couple of weeks ago a bunch of teenagers came into my shop and just bummed around spent like 12$ between them >.>
We have a fish tank and some were around it and I looked over and one of the little ----s had their hands in the tank trying to grab the fishes!
I had to yell at him and tell him to stop being a douche and he came up to me trying to intimidate me. So scary >.>
I just starred him straight in the eyes and said "Try me."
So he backed off and all his friends started giving it to him for being an idiot and a douche and such. They all left after that and didnt come back :).
Thats the closest I've gotten to kicking someones butt out of my shop.

Izanagi.
April 25th, 2012, 07:17 PM
oh I'd love to join this!

I have a funny story to kick things off. I work at Meijer, which has cart pushers that work out in the parking lot. I happen to know some of them, and one told me a particularly humorous story about his day. So he was out in the parking lot and he sees 2 men making out by a truck. Now none of us are bothered by this besides the fact that you shouldn't do things like that in the parking lot of a family friendly store. Well he turns his back to get some carts and when he looks back one of the men is gone. He thought he had climbed in the truck, but he slowly rises from the ground. Now we're unclear as to what he was doing, but I think you can guess what we were thinking. Just some of the things we experience. xD

Shanghai Alice
April 25th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Retail's bad, but try managing large groups of small children.

Same amount of stupidity, coupled with an abundance of energy, a lack of respect, and the fun times of stupid rules thanks to insurance, and dealing with parents.

To the masochists that can deal with that, my hat's off to them. However, one job was enough for me, and I'll probably not go into that line of work again.

Captain Fabio
April 25th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I have never kicked off at a customer, if they are really being a douche, I will just still be all nice and friendly, but never angry, because they just want a rise out of you.

Jorah
April 26th, 2012, 01:18 AM
I work at Sainsbury's on checkouts, and yes, I have yelled at customers for being complete morons. Obviously a little more to it than that, but no, the reason they are angry is not to make you angry, but to get whatever the hell they want. I'm not going to pretend I've done it often, only 3 times over 1 1/2 years there, but when you are just stuck there serving customer after customer who treats you like a machine, or you're beneath them, it is just too hard sometimes. When I tell them I'm a student their opinion of me changes so quickly it would be funny if it were not so depressing.

I still remember when I said "hi" to someone and he and the girl he was with started talking about why cashiers bother to talk. I could've punched them. I would've said something back, but I was feeling too drained to at that time. The reason, anyway, is that we're told to, and we get reviewed on how we acted to customers every so often by supervisors watching us. But it is just polite. I don't understand how they did not get it was polite. I'm a human being behind that checkout...

Mariah Carey
April 26th, 2012, 01:59 AM
this is the club for me
I can't count how many times I've had to smile and wave as an idiotic customer launched multiple verbal assaults at me for things that were completely out of my control. How was I supposed to know, Lil' Miss Cranky-Lobster-Faced-Divorcee (the divorce you were quite happy to tell me about at the counter even though I would've rather stood on rusty nails than hear you say another word about your husbands secretary), that months after you bought the shirt, you were too big to fit it? Maybe you should've eaten less or at least have tried on the shirt ONCE before that particular morning? I hate people sometimes.

CarefulWetPaint
April 26th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Fabio he was trying to catch the fish in the fish tank! He deserved to get kicked out!

Also dumb customers are definitely the worst.

Captain Fabio
April 26th, 2012, 03:24 AM
I think it is really amusing when customers come in and try to act like they know more about the situation, product and returns policy than you do; isn't like I have been working there for a year or anything!

That happened to me when I was working in my last retail job. Someone claimed that they understood the returns policy more than me because they read the back of the receipt. I actually facepalmed.

CarefulWetPaint
April 26th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Haha I can imagine you just going... *facepalm* you're kidding right?

Haha classic fabio classic!
Retail sucks :S

Katholic Nun
April 26th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Welcome to errybody who's come to play since I last posted! XD

I have a funny story to kick things off. I work at Meijer, which has cart pushers that work out in the parking lot. I happen to know some of them, and one told me a particularly humorous story about his day. So he was out in the parking lot and he sees 2 men making out by a truck. Now none of us are bothered by this besides the fact that you shouldn't do things like that in the parking lot of a family friendly store. Well he turns his back to get some carts and when he looks back one of the men is gone. He thought he had climbed in the truck, but he slowly rises from the ground. Now we're unclear as to what he was doing, but I think you can guess what we were thinking. Just some of the things we experience. xD

Bahaha - I love those guys, that is so amazing. I love it when people just don't give a crap in public - I applaud those two men for saying "screw you, family values! Now, screw me!"

I still remember when I said "hi" to someone and he and the girl he was with started talking about why cashiers bother to talk. I could've punched them

I would have punched them! How dare they talk about you like that right in front of you? I've been working in retail for just on three years now and I've never once had anybody look down on me for that - but I guess when you're working in a liquor store and you get the same customers every single day they're really not in any position to judge anybody :P

I can't count how many times I've had to smile and wave as an idiotic customer launched multiple verbal assaults at me for things that were completely out of my control. How was I supposed to know, Lil' Miss Cranky-Lobster-Faced-Divorcee (the divorce you were quite happy to tell me about at the counter even though I would've rather stood on rusty nails than hear you say another word about your husbands secretary), that months after you bought the shirt, you were too big to fit it? Maybe you should've eaten less or at least have tried on the shirt ONCE before that particular morning? I hate people sometimes.

What strikes me about this story is that they actually had the confidence to come back into the store and say "this doesn't fit me". If something like that ever happened to me I'd just die from the embarrassment of having gotten so fat, burned the shirt and moved on with my life.

---

This is what happened to me today:

I got called in to work (thereby ending the lovely notion I had of having three days off in a row for the first time ever) for a crappy 4-9 shift. It really bugs me that my manager did that because she wasn't allowed to; I have to have a certain amount of days off each fortnight and that cuts into it, but she just adds the hours onto the other days I did work so it was like I was never there.

ANYWAY that's not the point. What happened to me was: a woman coughed into her hand, then reached into her wallet and pulled a $50 note out of it and handed it to me.

I ****ing hate people that do that.

If you are coughing, I don't want you anywhere near me, and I certainly don't want to be touching anything you have been touching. As I see it, if you cough once in my vicinity at work, you forfeit the right to pay cash. You get your card out and you swipe it in the goddamn machine so that we do not touch any of the same things. Filthy disease-ridden pigs.

Captain Fabio
April 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM
ANYWAY that's not the point. What happened to me was: a woman coughed into her hand, then reached into her wallet and pulled a $50 note out of it and handed it to me.

If you are coughing, I don't want you anywhere near me, and I certainly don't want to be touching anything you have been touching. As I see it, if you cough once in my vicinity at work, you forfeit the right to pay cash. You get your card out and you swipe it in the goddamn machine so that we do not touch any of the same things. Filthy disease-ridden pigs.

Hahahahaha.
This made me laugh so much because whenever someone did it, I refused to take the money. Luckily, they mainly paid with card where I was, so it was avoided.

Overlord Drakow
April 26th, 2012, 03:01 PM
That last sentence is Overlord worthy, SR. Aaand I've never worked retail so I can't exactly contribute anything worthwhile, sorry! I mean the only thing I can mention is that I'm polite to people who work retail. Well, I'm polite to people in general in the real world. Crazy I know.

Katholic Nun
April 26th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Perhaps retail is making me bitter and providing me with Overlord potential?

CarefulWetPaint
April 26th, 2012, 09:14 PM

Retail does tend to make people cynical.. But when you see sick people coughing in their hands and they then go to give you money you definitely think.. "Wtf? You're not about to give me that are you? Are you selfish enough to contaminant my whole till/register with your diseases and infect other unlucky customers later? FOR SHAME ON YOU!"

Hate people like that.

Also people that want to have a long conversation with you while theirs people waiting behind them yet you dont want to be rude so you just try and end the conversation but they keep going? Ugh hate those people!

Captain Fabio
April 26th, 2012, 11:59 PM

It certainly made me pretty annoyed at the worst of times, that is for sure! XD

Jorah
April 27th, 2012, 02:23 AM

Oh yes, that is completely disgusting. I have people who put their loyalty card in their mouth, then hand it to me. Wtf, that is absolutely disgusting, I give them a revolted look when they do that, but I can't refuse them.

vaporeon7
April 28th, 2012, 02:28 AM
One thing that really annoys me about my job is how customers misread or ignore the small print and then complain and claim that we're a bunch of tricky crooks, out to get their money when it is their fault for not being able to read it in the first place. Also when they say they're going to report us for false advertising because something mis-scans or a sign fell down...

Katholic Nun
April 28th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Also people that want to have a long conversation with you while theirs people waiting behind them yet you dont want to be rude so you just try and end the conversation but they keep going? Ugh hate those people!

Yes! I hate those people too, but at the very least you can say they're being friendly, which kind of cancels out the annoyance a little bit. The ones that annoy me more than that are the ones that stand there sorting themselves out at the counter while there are a line of people behind them. They stand there, putting their coins and notes in the separate compartments of their wallets, putting their wallets in their handbags, picking up their items - every so often putting them in the backpacks they bring - before they finally shuffle off, leaving you and the next customer feeling a little frustrated.

One thing that really annoys me about my job is how customers misread or ignore the small print and then complain and claim that we're a bunch of tricky crooks, out to get their money when it is their fault for not being able to read it in the first place. Also when they say they're going to report us for false advertising because something mis-scans or a sign fell down...

I had one of these just last week. He brought a case of beer to the counter that was $45, but it had been on special for $34 the previous week. When I said it was $45, he gave me this affronted look and said, "No, it's $34!" then pointed to the one sign that nobody ever looks at, which was coincidentally the one sign we had forgotten to change back to the regular price.

So because he saw that, we had to give it to him for $34, which is fine. But then he kept going on about it, seeming to think that we the staff were conspiring to rip him off. He asked me, "how many people have you gotten with that one today?" I laughed, figuring he was joking, but he was deadly serious and made that incredibly clear until he left.

He didn't seem to understand the reality of what was going on; so once I'd had enough with the happy pretense I dropped my voice and said "The actual price is $45. We forgot to change one of the signs and you noticed it, so you get it cheaper. Congratulations."

I'm still not sure the deluded prick believed me.

Barrels
April 28th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Hello! Joining! Also, curious as to whether we count as a real union yet - can we call a strike if we feel like it? (Not a namby-pamby Aussie strike, Andy, a proper British right-hook to the teeth. That kind of strike. That gets people's attention.) I have a feeling we could improve lives the world over, and Mr Google has just informed me very kindly that not only is our right to form protected by federal law, but that all we need in order to do so is a Union Authorisation Card. So if someone could Photoshop one of those toot-sweet, it'd be much appreciated. >:)

And my do I have stories to share with you all. Somehow, using the skinniest skin of my teeth, I managed to claw my way out of retail a while back, but my time there left deep scars I doubt will ever properly heal. Like the purple vomit, for one thing. In a food shop. Purple vomit. Properly genuinely. Here's how the conversation went:

ME: Um. Uh. I don't want to - could you - seriously, what is that?
BOSSMAN: *grunting* WHAT?
ME: That. That purplish stuff. The stuff that looks like the accidental progeny of a disgruntled tub of couscous and a suicidal beetroot. What is it?
BOSSMAN: WHAT? *grunts heavily* ME NEVER NOTICED. ME NOT CARE. NOW GO IN FRIDGE.
ME: The fridge?! Oh, sir, please. I'll do anything. I'll navigate the heinous delivery backlog or lick the greasy hair out of your face. I'll even get those Christmas wrapping paper tubes out of the staff toilet where, as you so wisely reasoned at the time, 'THEY NOT MIND COS IN PLASTIC'. Just not the fridge. Not the fridge.
BOSSMAN: *booms* FRIDGE!!!
ME: *scurries* Yessirofcoursesirwhurreveryousaysir!

And then of course I have to go and lock myself in the vile contraption. I felt like a bullied polar bear. Surrounded by yoghurt - hateful, sickly, beige, out-of-date yoghurt. I still shiver reflexively whenever this advert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBujoJpDxo0&feature=related) comes on. (But that advert's terrifying enough anyway, I suppose.)

...That's just the tip of the iceberg, so I won't inflict any more on you, despite the wonderful feeling of relief that's just swept over me. Oh, it's good to emote. My system feels cleaner already.

Sector
April 28th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I'd join. I don't work or have a job and I probably won't until I move south this summer and so on. Although my uncle is trying to get me a job for parking cars at this Drag Raceway a couple blocks down from me. :X But if I misunderstood this and went off topic with this, please let me know. Sorry if I did!

But my mom tend to have many interesting stories about working at Meijer's. They have a union. She's been working there for 7 years now, as a cashier. I mean literally, once a week she shares something new that happens at work that makes her want to quit lol

So they had new scheduling manager, or however you want to call them. The longer you work at Meijer's the earliest you go in to work right? Well they are moving schedules around and my mom has to work one day a week, 2nd shift. Usually she goes in at around 10-12 in the morning to until 3-5 during the day and comes home. Now one day a week, she goes in at around 2-3PM during the day and gets off 8-10PM. All complicated, but they are hiring at Meijer's right now is the reason for the complicated scheduling. Why? They are suppose to be remodeling, and I guess they hired massive amount of people to work as cashiers. But they only get 14 hours a week? That's because they are hired for after remodeling. Why are they hiring before remodeling? Can't they wait until after or near completion of the remodeling? I don't get it, because they haven't even started yet! Plus, the way the union sounds, I would hate to work there myself. I prefer WalMart any day even though they screwed me over for hiring me. :\

Uhh if I get anymore interesting stories by my mom, I'll be sure to share!

Another is- Fake ill days. My mom always get called in, just like her last job, to replace the sick cashiers. But want to know something? My mom is friends with most of them on Facebook, and when she gets home later that night or the day after, she sees them posting status about "Fun day at Kalahari(Indoor Water Park), Cedar Point(Amusement Park) today was amazing, etc" And they aren't even 10 minutes from Meijers either! My mom gets really irritated that it always happen to her, all the time. But it does seem sickening to see that people call in fake sick to get their vacation days instead, literally, like 3 times a month and my mom has to work in their place everytime. Why not spend your vacation days on the days off?? I don't get people. My mom doesn't even take days off like that for her grand kid's birthday parties!

aRedMoon
April 28th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I work at Kohl's. At the return desk.

Says enough, eh?

(I am also a manager-in-training in Barnes & Noble.)

FML

CarefulWetPaint
April 28th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I work at Kohl's. At the return desk.

Says enough, eh?

(I am also a manager-in-training in Barnes & Noble.)

FML

Returns desk? Oh how I pity you. People coming in to return things are the worst. They always argue about something irrelevant to the item they bring in and say its your fault it broke/didn't work/ was to small/ was to big. UGH those people suck. Or the, "Actually the person didn't like this one can I change it for a different one.". *Shakes fist angrily*

Katholic Nun
April 28th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Welcome Barrels, Sector Revenge and aRedMoon :D

Hello! Joining! Also, curious as to whether we count as a real union yet - can we call a strike if we feel like it? (Not a namby-pamby Aussie strike, Andy, a proper British right-hook to the teeth. That kind of strike. That gets people's attention.) I have a feeling we could improve lives the world over, and Mr Google has just informed me very kindly that not only is our right to form protected by federal law, but that all we need in order to do so is a Union Authorisation Card. So if someone could Photoshop one of those toot-sweet, it'd be much appreciated. >:)

And my do I have stories to share with you all. Somehow, using the skinniest skin of my teeth, I managed to claw my way out of retail a while back, but my time there left deep scars I doubt will ever properly heal. Like the purple vomit, for one thing. In a food shop. Purple vomit. Properly genuinely. Here's how the conversation went:

ME: Um. Uh. I don't want to - could you - seriously, what is that?
BOSSMAN: *grunting* WHAT?
ME: That. That purplish stuff. The stuff that looks like the accidental progeny of a disgruntled tub of couscous and a suicidal beetroot. What is it?
BOSSMAN: WHAT? *grunts heavily* ME NEVER NOTICED. ME NOT CARE. NOW GO IN FRIDGE.
ME: The fridge?! Oh, sir, please. I'll do anything. I'll navigate the heinous delivery backlog or lick the greasy hair out of your face. I'll even get those Christmas wrapping paper tubes out of the staff toilet where, as you so wisely reasoned at the time, 'THEY NOT MIND COS IN PLASTIC'. Just not the fridge. Not the fridge.
BOSSMAN: *booms* FRIDGE!!!
ME: *scurries* Yessirofcoursesirwhurreveryousaysir!

And then of course I have to go and lock myself in the vile contraption. I felt like a bullied polar bear. Surrounded by yoghurt - hateful, sickly, beige, out-of-date yoghurt. I still shiver reflexively whenever this advert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBujoJpDxo0&feature=related) comes on. (But that advert's terrifying enough anyway, I suppose.)

...That's just the tip of the iceberg, so I won't inflict any more on you, despite the wonderful feeling of relief that's just swept over me. Oh, it's good to emote. My system feels cleaner already.

LMAO. Dude, I wasn't kidding, not even in the slightest, when I told you you had to be a writer or I'd smash your kneecaps so that you'd have no other option. Legit, you are the funniest person I have ever met and I don't think even a case of life in a wheelchair would put an end to your out-of-this-world levels of humour.

Also, what is a namby-pamby Aussie strike? I've never come across an Australian strike so I have no idea how they compare to the British ones :P

My mom always get called her, just like her last job, to replace the sick cashiers. But want to know something? My mom is friends with most of them on Facebook, and when she gets home later that night or the day after, she sees them posting status about "Fun day at Kalahari(Indoor Water Park), Cedar Point(Amusement Park) today was amazing, etc" And they aren't even 10 minutes from Meijers either!

This happens to me too. Where I work there are only five people, and since I have the least contracted hours I'm always the one called to do extra shifts if somebody has taken the day off for 'sickness'. Usually I don't care in the slightest because I am three years into a passionate love affair with money and I love the euphoric feeling when my paycheck is larger than anticipated, but every so often it annoys the crap out of me when I have to work a Friday night where I had plans just because someone is "sick" only to find out later that they had so much fun with their plans. It's so damn selfish.

Mr. Downstairs
April 28th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I used to work at CVS for about six months back from October 2009 to April 2010. I left because my boss was a dick and only gave me four hours every other week. I start retail work again next Saturday at RiteAid. I don't have any stories or anything like that about the horrors of working retail, because I generally found working in retail to be somewhat enjoyable and where I live most people who go there are pretty polite and patient people. Though there was a cranky old bat that came in one day asking me for medicine (because as a store clerk in the front of the store, pharmacy is something I am expected to know a thing or two about with what the pharmacy being a different part of the store and all) most appropriate for whatever problem she was having (I forget what it was).

CarefulWetPaint
April 28th, 2012, 08:49 PM
I used to work at CVS for about six months back from October 2009 to April 2010. I left because my boss was a dick and only gave me four hours every other week. I start retail work again next Saturday at RiteAid. I don't have any stories or anything like that about the horrors of working retail, because I generally found working in retail to be somewhat enjoyable and where I live most people who go there are pretty polite and patient people. Though there was a cranky old bat that came in one day asking me for medicine (because as a store clerk in the front of the store, pharmacy is something I am expected to know a thing or two about with what the pharmacy being a different part of the store and all) most appropriate for whatever problem she was having (I forget what it was).

Sorry this is a rant about stupid customers/experience club only you cant join..

Just kidding! Welcome! I hope you have some terrible experiences soon that you can tell us about so we can all share the pain. xD
Its funny how people think because you're behind a desk or in front of a cash register you know everything about everything in the store. (stupid people -.-')

Another one from me:

A lady came in a bought something for 12 dollars and gave me a 20 dollar note. I give her back 8 dollars change and she just stands there and looks at me. After 10 seconds she asks me wheres the rest of her change and Im like.. "I gave you all your change?"
She replies with "No, I gave you a 50$ note. Wheres the rest of my change?"
"No lady.. you gave me a 20$ note.. you gave me this note right here, I only have one fifty in the register and that's from the person before you."
"NO I GAVE YOU A 50$ NOTE WHERES THE REST OF MY CHANGE. I KNOW I DID!"
"You still have a fifty dollar note in your wallet ma'am, you went to give it to me then put it back and gave me a 20$ instead."
"Thats just not true stop trying to steal my money I gave you 50$"

This went on for a few more minutes until I got the ****s and told her I'll count the till if you want and prove to you that you gave me a 20$ note.
After that she just made a few noise and said "Don't worry about it but I did give you a 50$ note." Then she left as I repeated, no you didnt.

Ugh that was a frustrating experience.

Jorah
April 29th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Another is- Fake ill days. My mom always get called in, just like her last job, to replace the sick cashiers. But want to know something? My mom is friends with most of them on Facebook, and when she gets home later that night or the day after, she sees them posting status about "Fun day at Kalahari(Indoor Water Park), Cedar Point(Amusement Park) today was amazing, etc" And they aren't even 10 minutes from Meijers either! My mom gets really irritated that it always happen to her, all the time. But it does seem sickening to see that people call in fake sick to get their vacation days instead, literally, like 3 times a month and my mom has to work in their place everytime. Why not spend your vacation days on the days off?? I don't get people. My mom doesn't even take days off like that for her grand kid's birthday parties!

Wow, this could pretty much not happen in British supermarkets because they're so strict everytime you call in sick they don't believe you :/ We have to have meetings with managers just for taking one day off, second time in a year you get "counselling" from them, third time in a year you get a disciplinary. This means that people often go in sick handling food...

Katholic Nun
April 29th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Hey Nick welcome! I'm so happy for you that you got a new job! :D and yeah, as Tom said, you'll have a bunch of stories for us before you know it. I think you were incredibly lucky at your last job; it isn't until you work in retail (or restaurants, so I hear) that you realise just how much people can suck sometimes. I never usually have any problems either unless it's Friday or Saturday night when the young people come in.

"Thats just not true stop trying to steal my mother I gave you 50$"

You... were trying to steal her mother? XD

CarefulWetPaint
April 29th, 2012, 03:19 AM
You... were trying to steal her mother? XD

What's it to ya? But seriously I never typed that >.>

Ever had anyone come into your place of work at 9 in the morning smoking and drinking? I have, she was about 50 as well (At least thats what she looked) Needless to say, I was worried for my life.

Mariah Carey
April 29th, 2012, 03:22 AM
Ever had anyone come into your place of work at 9 in the morning smoking and drinking?
What, other than my boss? No. (Who may I add started doing this a week after I started working for him)

vaporeon7
April 29th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Ever had anyone come into your place of work at 9 in the morning smoking and drinking?

I've had people come in smelling strongly of cigarettes and even some with half-smoked cigarettes tucked behind their ear like a journalist with a pen.

Barrels
April 29th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Also, what is a namby-pamby Aussie strike? I've never come across an Australian strike so I have no idea how they compare to the British ones :P

Neither have I. ;) In truth, I only characterised your strikes as such out of a sense of intense pride and nationalism. (LOL JOKE. We have a certain David Cameron in charge at the moment. I need say no more.) But rest assured, in any kind of strike-off, I'd blind you with my startlingly developed ability to slouch around doing nothing. UNION JACKS ETC

What, other than my boss? No. (Who may I add started doing this a week after I started working for him)

Perhaps these two things are connected. :P Was he a pleasant, happy, outgoing family man with 2.5 kids, a mortgage and a hat before you began working for him? Did his smile slowly fade as Monday dragged into Tuesday? Did his carefully brushed hair become gradually more dishevelled as Tuesday became Wednesday? Did he mournfully weigh a packet of cigarettes in one hand as you left the shop on Thursday? And then, finally, arrive roaringly drunk with his own cloud of smoke on Friday morning? I see it all so clearly now.

SHAME ON YOU MADAM, SHAME ON YOU.
i am kidding honest :P

CarefulWetPaint
April 29th, 2012, 04:10 PM

Maybe he just didn't know any other way of handling such an attractive younger employee who he couldn't fire.. :D

@Barrels
You are a very very entertaining character indeed! Very happy you have joined the club indeed! You spin words well word smith, I dub thee "Archmage of Word Wizardry Barrels".

Also has anyone who works in convenience stores had someone take something from the bottom of a stack and made the whole stack come crashing down?

Katholic Nun
April 29th, 2012, 07:15 PM

Uh hello, liquor store worker right here :P

Perhaps these two things are connected. :P Was he a pleasant, happy, outgoing family man with 2.5 kids, a mortgage and a hat before you began working for him? Did his smile slowly fade as Monday dragged into Tuesday? Did his carefully brushed hair become gradually more dishevelled as Tuesday became Wednesday? Did he mournfully weigh a packet of cigarettes in one hand as you left the shop on Thursday? And then, finally, arrive roaringly drunk with his own cloud of smoke on Friday morning? I see it all so clearly now.

Barrels is joking, but in all seriousness that timing does seem oddly coincidental :P

Razer302
April 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I hate having to work in retail. My shop has been arm robbed twice so far this year. I was there both times aswell, and tgreatened countless times after iding someone. But I do love a lot of the customer interaction, thats about only reason I'm still there.

Katholic Nun
April 29th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hey, welcome! You've... been held at gun point twice? Are you OK? How on earth do you deal with that? I think I'd just fall apart!

vaporeon7
April 30th, 2012, 01:30 AM
I don't think I could cope with being at gunpoint either tbh. But I'm lucky, I work in a store, in the mall, near a jewellery shop, so they would probably hold that place up instead.

Mariah Carey
April 30th, 2012, 01:39 AM
hey razer

quit your job before you die

Barrels
April 30th, 2012, 02:45 AM
You are a very very entertaining character indeed! Very happy you have joined the club indeed! You spin words well word smith, I dub thee "Archmage of Word Wizardry Barrels".

Also has anyone who works in convenience stores had someone take something from the bottom of a stack and made the whole stack come crashing down?

BOSH. Do I get to speak in olde-worlde-Renaissancee-Faire-languagee now? Being as wot I is now a qualified Archmage of Word Wizardry and all. ;D Nice to meet you, sir, and I dub you in return Magister of All Things Wet and Paintey. Together we shall be unstoppable.

And YES YES OMG YES I HAVE. In front of a customer. (In all fairness it was only the one tin that bounced off her baby's head, but she made a ridiculous amount of fuss. Funnily enough the baby didn't. I guess that's what concussion does to you. :P)

EDIT: Also, I notice Harlequin is studiously ignoring our probing attempts to find out just exactly what she did to cause that poor man's alchoholism. ADMISSION OF GUILT MUCH LOL

Mariah Carey
April 30th, 2012, 02:56 AM
EDIT: Also, I notice Harlequin is studiously ignoring our probing attempts to find out just exactly what she did to cause that poor man's alchoholism. ADMISSION OF GUILT MUCH LOL

she
http://i.imgur.com/KbEId.jpg

Maybe I caused the fires of lust to burn inside his heart and the only way he can quench the desire to do me, lest his overbearing wife finds out, is to drink copious amounts of alcohol? iIt's just a theory.

Barrels
April 30th, 2012, 03:16 AM
He has an overbearing wife? It's all coming together now. The poor, unhappy man. I don't know how you live with yourself, taunting him this way.

There's only one thing for it - you'll have to resign. Right now. A clean break, that's what's best in this situation. Oh, you might find yourself on the streets due to sudden lack of income, but you have to put your boss's feelings ahead of your own selfish whims. I fully expect a scanned letter of resignation on my virtual desk within six minutes.

Five.

Four.

...Get on with it. :P

CarefulWetPaint
April 30th, 2012, 08:14 PM
BOSH. Do I get to speak in olde-worlde-Renaissancee-Faire-languagee now? Being as wot I is now a qualified Archmage of Word Wizardry and all. ;D Nice to meet you, sir, and I dub you in return Magister of All Things Wet and Paintey. Together we shall be unstoppable.

And YES YES OMG YES I HAVE. In front of a customer. (In all fairness it was only the one tin that bounced off her baby's head, but she made a ridiculous amount of fuss. Funnily enough the baby didn't. I guess that's what concussion does to you. :P)

WE ARE UNSTOPPABLE ARCHMAGE! No one will be able to stand up against our majesty.

@ Harlequin That is totally what I said!! I said he wanted you so had to dull that feeling with the poison. Do you still work for this same boss or did you quit when he asked if you wanted to do something special for a raise ;)

-Edit-
Are you okay razer? How do you handle something like that happening?

Captain Fabio
May 1st, 2012, 01:31 AM
I have been threatened in retail before, but never held at gun point and such.

Lady was obviously putting clothes in her bag, so I called security and they said stop her leaving. So I went over saying would she like any help, acting oblivious and such, she told me to '**** off'. And then dropped some of the stolen clothes. She then started saying how she would kill me if I told anyone blah blah blah. It didn't really bother me as I had seen her in there before and death threats are boring now haha.

She got arrested and put in prison.

CarefulWetPaint
May 1st, 2012, 01:55 AM
I have been threatened in retail before, but never held at gun point and such.

Lady was obviously putting clothes in her bag, so I called security and they said stop her leaving. So I went over saying would she like any help, acting oblivious and such, she told me to '**** off'. And then dropped some of the stolen clothes. She then started saying how she would kill me if I told anyone blah blah blah. It didn't really bother me as I had seen her in there before and death threats are boring now haha.

She got arrested and put in prison.

The death threats are boring part made me laugh. You bulletproof brah?

Also she got put in prison for shoplifting? I'm pretty sure in Australia she would just got spanked and made to pay a fine? Is oblivious to shoplifting laws

Captain Fabio
May 1st, 2012, 01:58 AM
Naa, not bulletproof at all but I don't care for threads like that in that environment.

And she had done it many times and was on bail for other crap.

CarefulWetPaint
May 1st, 2012, 02:10 AM
Naa, not bulletproof at all but I don't care for threads like that in that environment.

And she had done it many times and was on bail for other crap.

Oh I see, Shoulda claimed being bullet proof and they could have made a videogame/movie about you! xD.

Ahh, well shes just stupid then.

Captain Fabio
May 1st, 2012, 02:14 AM
Haha, I guess so!

Yeh, the most people that we get like that are complete morons who really don't get the hint. I am guessing they are drug addicts because they do look like one and they need money fast, so stealing is the quickest solution I guess...

When I worked at HoF, we only had a handful of those incidents every year, so it isn't like a daily thing.

Katholic Nun
May 1st, 2012, 02:36 AM

Haha this is the second time I've seen that typo today. Toujours did it earlier (and I've done it before myself haha) - it's sad that we spend so much time on this forum that our muscle memory automatically goes to type "threads" XD

But more on-topic, I get threatened at work all the time. You wouldn't believe the crackpots you get around alcohol. Most of the people I refuse tell me I should "watch myself" or something similar. It used to freak me the out a bit when I first started because I was 18 and had no idea if they were actually planning to do something, but now when they say that I'm just like "will do."

Captain Fabio
May 1st, 2012, 02:49 AM
Haha this is the second time I've seen that typo today. Toujours did it earlier (and I've done it before myself haha) - it's sad that we spend so much time on this forum that our muscle memory automatically goes to type "threads" XD

But more on-topic, I get threatened at work all the time. You wouldn't believe the crackpots you get around alcohol. Most of the people I refuse tell me I should "watch myself" or something similar. It used to freak me the out a bit when I first started because I was 18 and had no idea if they were actually planning to do something, but now when they say that I'm just like "will do."

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU! Only just noticed that. CURSES.

Anyway, retail does give you a bit of a thick skin to these type of situations.

Razer302
May 1st, 2012, 03:55 AM
The worst one was the first one. We got tied up with cable ties... had to be my worst. The second one I really wasn't bothered which I think annoyed the guy the most because I literally didn't react when he threatened me. Stuff like that never bothers me. Comes with the area I work in, and also being one of the only males in the shop kinda sucks. you get the brunt of everything.

But I enjoy the job mostly, just the same stuff that drives everyone else made drives me mad. Managers and rude customers, oh and customers on their phones makes me rage. I remember one guy who didn't answer anything I said when I was serving him because he was on his phone. then as I finish and go to walk off. he looks up asks for a bag then goes back to his phone. So I throw the bag in his face and walk off.

Captain Fabio
May 1st, 2012, 04:46 AM
This just goes to show that some peoples jobs are worse than others! XD

Katholic Nun
May 1st, 2012, 07:37 AM
The worst one was the first one. We got tied up with cable ties... had to be my worst. The second one I really wasn't bothered which I think annoyed the guy the most because I literally didn't react when he threatened me. Stuff like that never bothers me. Comes with the area I work in, and also being one of the only males in the shop kinda sucks. you get the brunt of everything.

Do they make you go through counselling after an incident like that? I know at my job if you are held up by robbers you're forced to go on leave and get counselling before you're allowed to come back to work. The counselling is paid for by the company, of course, but I think if you feel fine to work then you shouldn't be forced into anything.

Captain Fabio
May 1st, 2012, 12:52 PM
Considering, I am sure, you can sue a company for not providing help like that, I am sure it was offered to them.

Razer302
May 1st, 2012, 03:00 PM
I was back at work the next day lol. I was offered it but said no and just went back to work. I was the only one that still felt able to work though. All the others had counselling first.

CarefulWetPaint
May 1st, 2012, 03:58 PM
@Razer you are probably the most hardcore person in the club by far, I've only ever had people verbally threaten me never physically with a gun :O You mad! but awesome! Awad! Did the people get caught?

Razer302
May 1st, 2012, 04:01 PM
Yeh was caught and got... 3 months in prison... for robbing 4 shops and making over 3k worth of money... 3 MONTHS.

CarefulWetPaint
May 1st, 2012, 04:03 PM
3 Months?? That really doesn't seem like a legit sentence. Did they get on their knees for the cops or something?

Razer302
May 1st, 2012, 05:56 PM
No idea. I thought it was some sort of joke really. No one in the shop was happy about it.

Katholic Nun
May 1st, 2012, 06:36 PM
That's just ridiculous, but I guess the positive of it is at least they were caught, and hopefully it'll teach them not to do it again. If they hadn't been caught and had no consequences they might have figured you were easy targets and come back to rob you again.

CarefulWetPaint
May 1st, 2012, 06:45 PM
Razer this is what you should do to the next person that tries to rob you.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2079117/Taking-law-hands-Store-clerk-knocks-thief-single-punch.html

Most probably what I'd do if someone was that close to me trying to rob my shop.

Captain Fabio
May 2nd, 2012, 12:06 AM
@ People saying the sentence is stupid... Welcome to England.
They are all stupid like that.

Anyway, as long as you are alright, bro!

CarefulWetPaint
May 2nd, 2012, 01:41 AM
England is silly as! Whats murder? 6 months in prison?

Well I just hope you stay safe razer bro!

Whats everyones funniest experience with a customer?

Captain Fabio
May 2nd, 2012, 01:52 AM
Let's not get into the sentencing in England, it is stupid.

Funniest experience and most awkward, would be when this girl was hitting on me when SHOPPING WITH HER PARENTS. They were finding clothes for their father/husband and she was being all like, "I would love to see you in that." When her parents were turned away. Was so awkward and all my co-workers were laughing so much, was a difficult situation to handle, BUT I DID!

She gave me her number after all that, but didn't call/text her, she was creepy! XD

Razer302
May 2nd, 2012, 02:24 AM
Why did that have to be in North Carolina... My girlfriend lives there and works in a shop... Ty guys :P

I have so many, but the funniest has to be this regular customer that came in and shes like, 40+. She comes up to me and goes, your looking pretty build and then starts hitting on me, I haven't heard the end of it. I had no idea what to say lol.

Captain Fabio
May 2nd, 2012, 02:38 AM
Hahahaha! That is epic. At least the girl who hit on me was like, 20, not double that! ;D

Katholic Nun
May 2nd, 2012, 03:20 AM
I had a woman in her forties hit on me once. She came in ten minutes before we closed with a friend; she was so drunk I almost didn't serve her (except I did because her friend was sober and driving). She kept looking me up and down and saying to her friend, "look at him!" and then this happened:

"What time do you finish tonight, love?"
"In ten minutes."
"You wanna come for a drink after?"
"Uh... I think I'll be right, thanks."
"You sure? We'll shout you!"
"Nah I'm good thanks, I've been here all day, I'm pretty dead" <---- this was a lie. I'd started at 4:30 that day and it was like 9pm

She was pretty gross too, and made no effort to hide it. She had a gut that was hanging out the bottom of her shirt.

CarefulWetPaint
May 2nd, 2012, 05:39 AM
I dont even want to talk about the people that have hit on me oh god.

Though theres those rare occasions that they are attractive!

Had an awkward moment where this older lady was trying on this top thing that opens up down the middle and flashed me, she was in lace. Was awkward for me at least.. Oh this happened 3 days ago as well.

Katholic Nun
May 3rd, 2012, 06:21 AM
The past two nights, I've had the most annoying thing happen. The entire last half hour of the closing shift you don't see one customer. Then one shows up 30 seconds before you're about to close the doors. It's as if they time it perfectly just to piss you off. Then they loiter around the store, making no great haste to get what they want because after all, the people behind the counter have no interest in going home at any stage tonight.

Then... just as that jackass decides what they want and comes to the counter, you grabbing hopefully for your keys... some other jerk who was running late comes in. So the store that's meant to close at 8 doesn't end up closing til 8:05 and I don't end up getting home until at least 8:15 when I could have been home at 8:05.

I think I shifted perspective a lot in that post which is a grammatical no-no, but you get my drift :P

vaporeon7
May 3rd, 2012, 07:46 AM
The past two nights, I've had the most annoying thing happen. The entire last half hour of the closing shift you don't see one customer. Then one shows up 30 seconds before you're about to close the doors. It's as if they time it perfectly just to piss you off. Then they loiter around the store, making no great haste to get what they want because after all, the people behind the counter have no interest in going home at any stage tonight.

Then... just as that jackass decides what they want and comes to the counter, you grabbing hopefully for your keys... some other jerk who was running late comes in. So the store that's meant to close at 8 doesn't end up closing til 8:05 and I don't end up getting home until at least 8:15 when I could have been home at 8:05.

I think I shifted perspective a lot in that post which is a grammatical no-no, but you get my drift :P

Ugh I hate the last minute shoppers as well. I don't know why, but the last few are always the ones with all the reduced and damaged products and stuff that takes longest to process. It's like they know that we can't go home until they leave.

Katholic Nun
May 3rd, 2012, 08:27 AM
Exactly! And I always work closing shift so I always get stuck with them.

Vappy, are you back at work yet?

Captain Fabio
May 4th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Last minute shoppers make me want to kill people... mainly them! XD

I hate it when you are trying to cash up and they come with clothes. It is like... WE CLOSED HALF AN HOUR AGO!

Katholic Nun
May 4th, 2012, 11:01 PM
So last night I knocked three bottles of Vodka Cruisers from a 6-high stack of cartons straight to the floor. Right at closing time. Of the twelve bottles, there were only five survivors :(.

Overlord Drakow
May 5th, 2012, 12:26 AM
So just over 40% remained after your foolish foolishness. That's still a pass at University!

CarefulWetPaint
May 5th, 2012, 01:34 AM
So last night I knocked three bottles of Vodka Cruisers from a 6-high stack of cartons straight to the floor. Right at closing time. Of the twelve bottles, there were only five survivors :(.

So I guess that raise and promotion are definitely coming today/ tomorrow then?

@Drakow
Lol what? Still a pass? Since when was 40% a pass??!??!?!

Nothing interested happening in my place of work. Its very very slow. FML.

Overlord Drakow
May 6th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Yeah it is lol. 40% is the minimum pass mark for University. 50-60% is a 2:2. 60-70 is a 2:1. 70% upwards is a 1:1.

CarefulWetPaint
May 6th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Yeah it is lol. 40% is the minimum pass mark for University. 50-60% is a 2:2. 60-70 is a 2:1. 70% upwards is a 1:1.

I understood about 40% of what you just said.
What are all the ratio's >.>

Also where do you work Drakow? As this is a Retail club xD. Do you have any entertaining stories to share? before this gets to off topic

Katholic Nun
May 9th, 2012, 06:43 AM
On Monday I got another first at work: my first blackout! It's been three years and I've been waiting so patiently but it finally happened! The power went off at 4pm and we got to close the doors, and it didn't come back on til 5, and we were messing with the computers trying to get them to work again til about 5:30, so we got to be closed throughout the entire busy period! We did record low figures, but at least me and the guy I was working with got to sit and bludge for an hour and a half XD

CarefulWetPaint
May 9th, 2012, 03:45 PM
My god Andy you got to bludge during the most busy time. lucky you! Yesterday I closed the shop to go surfing over lunch time if that can compare to your bludging? >.<

In my defense the surf was FANTASTIC!

Has anyone else had a similar experience of closing because of either no power or because you wanted to be somewhere else?

Razer302
May 9th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Had to close mine for 30 minutes due to a power cut and another time the wine stand fell over 3 4 storys of wine bottles crashed to the floor and we had to shut the shop for hours while we cleaned it up... very slowely I might add.

vaporeon7
May 13th, 2012, 03:12 AM
The closest I've got to stopping during work is when it was one of the busiest Christmas shopping days of the year, and every register in the store broke down for 20 minutes, the line got so long, it was doing a whole lap of the store.

Captain Fabio
May 14th, 2012, 03:10 AM
I understood about 40% of what you just said.
What are all the ratio's >.>

Also where do you work Drakow? As this is a Retail club xD. Do you have any entertaining stories to share? before this gets to off topic

They are grades you come out with.
40% = 3rd (D)
50% = 2:2 (C)
60% = 2:1 (B)
70%+ = 1st (A)

So they are the grades you get. Think of it like the normal grades.

Katholic Nun
May 14th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Had to close mine for 30 minutes due to a power cut and another time the wine stand fell over 3 4 storys of wine bottles crashed to the floor and we had to shut the shop for hours while we cleaned it up... very slowely I might add.

I did that on a smaller scale the other night xD.

We have a stack of boxes of Vodka Cruisers. Just in case these are an Australian-only thing, this is what they are:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs32/f/2008/213/f/b/Vodka_Cruiser_Flavor__s_by_Halo123Billion.jpg

They come in 4-packs and we have a bunch of the 4-packs that won't yet fit in the fridge sitting on top of the cases. I was moving the boxes around to get to a flavour that we'd run out of in the fridge and I moved the loose 4-packs to the stack of beer that was next to them. Somehow, and I don't know how, I knocked over two of the 4-packs, sending them tumbling to the floor. The group of boys who were in the store erupted in raucous laughter, which was not helped when 20 seconds later, a third 4-pack spontaneously decided it'd be funny to jump to its own untimely demise.

Of the twelve bottles, there were just five survivors :(. So much glass and sickly-sweet liquid to clean!

Razer302
May 14th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I hate dropping things. Its embarassing.

Does anyone else get moaned at for using their phone. For me I used to all the time. But when you have a gf that lived in another country. I took any chance I could get to talk to her really. Guess I kinda did overstep how much I was using my phone and cut back in the end.

CarefulWetPaint
May 14th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Owning the store makes using your phone a lot easier :P Especially when youre the boss. I do usually have my phone on silent though.

Naww there was people in there watching Andy? That'd suck.

Also I hate it when crazy old ladies come in and talk to you about nothing that is relevant and say they dont know you when youve lived in the same town as them for 19 years (Your whole life.) And lived 4 houses away from them for about 13 of those years. ridiculos! Do you guys have to deal with crazy old ladies?

Katholic Nun
May 15th, 2012, 02:42 AM
OMFG LMAO. I just realised I told that Cruiser story twice... on the same page. I guess that shows just how interesting my work is if I'm recycling stories already without even knowing it. Bahahahahahaha.

Impo
May 15th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Oh hey, it's my life in a club.

I actually am starting to enjoy my job, being a checkout chick and all. Pretty much all of the people I work with are nice, and 95% of the customers are nice to me. That being said, I have no clue what they say behind my back (you know the saying, 'there's always one person who is hated and everyone talks about them behind their back. Never had one? Then it's you.')

But I've been wearing a trainee badge for about a month now, just so customers go easy on me. Heheh.

And I missed the conversation about robberies, which really sucks D: .
And because if someone asked me to open the till I'd have to admit I didn't know how to unless they actually made a purchase.

And asdfghjkl the flybuys promotions. I'll admit, they're not that bad, but the training was kinda weird.

I think I work at a pretty cool place.

Katholic Nun
May 15th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Aaaaaaa YAY welcome Impo!

It doesn't matter if you missed the conversation about robberies, it's the most freeform club you'll ever join so if you wanna talk about something we've already talked about just go ahead and bring it back XD.

I'd wear the Trainee badge for as long as you're allowed to, because once you get a badge with your actual name on it, some people start actually calling you by your name and it's really unnerving. I spent a long time thinking "how the hell did that guy know my--ohhh" lol.

You guys had to undergo training for your Flybuys stuff? We just had to read a booklet they sent around and then sign saying you'd read it lol. I didn't even bother reading it... I just skimmed. Now when customers ask me questions about flybuys I answer using my common sense... and then if I don't actually know I just make stuff up :P

Razer302
May 15th, 2012, 03:03 PM
We don't have a trainee badge. I got a name badge straight away and now you get everyone coming in knowing my name straight away. Even when I walk in the street you have people saying hello just from my work. Some I don't mind but some just drive me mental.

My job is mainly old people that come in and my god, they are SO SLOW. Drives me mad, and they just talk about nothing and make a huge que.

CarefulWetPaint
May 16th, 2012, 03:29 PM
*smashes head against wall* THEM OLD PEOPLE AND THEIR STORIES!! /rant

I've never had a trainee or name badge but everyone seems to know my name anyway, it sucks, especially when you have no idea what their names are and you have to be like.. ummm.. Hi? Who are you again? Which then leads to a conversation that you really couldnt care less for and try to escape as fast as possible! Ughhhhhhh.

Katholic Nun
May 23rd, 2012, 04:57 PM
My job is mainly old people that come in and my god, they are SO SLOW. Drives me mad, and they just talk about nothing and make a huge que.
I have the same problem with old people at one of the stores I work at. It's in this town about fifteen minutes away from my own, and I refer to it as "Death's Waiting Room" because the population is basically old people on pensions. We sell so much port and sherry because they have nothing else in their lives and wish to slowly drink themselves to death.

But God they are so slow. I know it isn't their fault, I know they'd move faster if they could, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating when Ethel has to put a 2-Litre flagon of port into her wheely bag at the most glacial pace when there are three people behind her waiting to be served.

Razer302
June 18th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Well my shop got arm robbed again on Saturday night... When will these people ever learn we need security.

Katholic Nun
June 18th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Oh my freaking God. Were you there this time? Are you OK?

Jellicent♀
June 18th, 2012, 09:29 PM
First lemme start by saying, Razer302, I hope you're ok. <3
Secondly, I wanna join now that I actually work in retailt.

Thirdly; I hate my job. Like, omg. I work for this clothing store called maurices. All lowercase, no apostrophe. That's the legit name. All women's clothing store, cute as can be clothing, and our philosophy is customer obsession, like, extreme one-on-one care for these people. The problem is, people aren't used to this type of customer service, and people do not want to talk to some 19 year old kid trying to help them get some outfits. My manager tried to make it better by telling me that they'll love me because I'm a little gay dude, but no, I like in bumfrick Louisiana. Almost no one likes gay men here. We also have, HAVE, to get them ALL to sign up for a store credit card. Every one in ten transactions should have a credit card to them. We must sell at least four items to each person, and our average dollar amount per sale should be over fifty-two dollars. To keep up those standards, we really need people to buy eight items, and spend two hundred dollars every time they come in. People don't want to do this, and my manager just doesn't understand why we can't convince people to break their wallets in half for crap they'll wear maybe three times.

Even better, because of this, and because so many people don't want the credit card, it's my fault that people don't want it. I haven't convinced them that lowering their credit score by 3+ points is worth the 10% of savings they could make from a 25 dollar sale. I mean, how could they be so dumb as to not listen to my explanation of the card that's full of holes and tricks? I mean, the average American has no idea what a credit card is, especially when it comes to women, and especially since they're middle aged. Middle age women have no idea what a CREDIT CARD IS. Like, frick, it doesn't take a doctor to figure out why women don't want another credit bill. It also makes sense that they don't want to buy 200 dollars worth of clothing when they come in.

So because of all of my faults, my manager has been discussing the possibility of me getting fired. He tells me this, while there are four customers waiting in line for him to check them out, and while the two new sales associates that he literally JUST hired are standing right behind me.

I'm really about to find another job at this beauty store, which is the industry I actually have a passion for, I spend a lot of money at this store, and I know everyone that works there by name because of how often I shop. Like, it's literally two stores down the strip from my current job. not much of a difference in the commute. Maybe an additional five seconds.

Oh, my favorite is when the customer pretend to listen when you try to make a connection with them. my favorite so far:
-woman walks in with a puppy in a puppy carriage-
Me: "Oh he's so cute, what kind of dog is he?"
Her: "Oh no thank you, I'm just browsing for right now."

Took everything I had not to laugh and call her an idiot.

CarefulWetPaint
June 18th, 2012, 09:49 PM
My god Razer, I hope youre okay. I think you need to get a new job though dude, does not seem safe where you are :S

My god I hate it when stores try to push things like that on you and try and make their employees sell a certain amount of things to everyone that comes in. PEOPLE DISLIKE YOU TRYING TO "HELP" THEM. How does your manager not understand this all it does is frustrates the customer and makes them not want to get anything.
Pushing Credit cards on people lolol! Goodluck with that. Your manager is an idiot, quit and get a job at the other place! :P

Also customers do that a lot dont they, just dont even pay attention to what you say and have a generic answer to get through any attempt at a conversation you make with them.

Jellicent♀
June 18th, 2012, 09:52 PM
My god Razer, I hope youre okay. I think you need to get a new job though dude, does not seem safe where you are :S

My god I hate it when stores try to push things like that on you and try and make their employees sell a certain amount of things to everyone that comes in. PEOPLE DISLIKE YOU TRYING TO "HELP" THEM. How does your manager not understand this all it does is frustrates the customer and makes them not want to get anything.
Pushing Credit cards on people lolol! Goodluck with that. Your manager is an idiot, quit and get a job at the other place! :P

Also customers do that a lot dont they, just dont even pay attention to what you say and have a generic answer to get through any attempt at a conversation you make with them.

Ugh. Like, my manager doesn't understand why we don't sell a lot. It's because of that stupid credit card. If we didn't push that, our sales would be awesome. But yeah, I have errands tomorrow in town and I'll swing by the beauty store and apply. It's just ridiculous at the clothing store.

They do! They want nothing to do with you. It's like, "I'm only trying to make you not hate me and our store, ok?"

Phantom
June 18th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Haha, sign me up. I work in Security, so I deal with... questionable intelligence, all the time.

Like last week when a guy thought I told him to take his semi through the turnstyles and he thought I was an idiot.

Razer302
June 19th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Yeh I was in again. Lots of people are leaving due to it. I personally am fine with it and love the job still.

I hate when I go into a shop and the people are pushy. It really drives me mad and I end up buying nothing. Bad management as far as I'm concerned.

Katholic Nun
June 20th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Welcome to Jellicent and Phantom! I hope you'll enjoy venting here just as much as I do :P

Razer, I have to say, I love you so much haha. I just imagine this guy coming into your store wearing a balaclava and holding a gun and you just dropping your head, letting out a long-suffering sigh, walking to a chair on the other side of the room, sitting, and saying "alright guys, just take what you want".

You're just so 'eh, you get that' about something that most people would find utterly terrifying and life-altering XD.

There was this 16 year old kid that got held up at a takeaway place not far from where I work, and he's just fallen to pieces. It's been about two months and he still hasn't returned to work. He's traumatised and too scared to leave the house. So it's great when you're a bit older and don't let them get to you that way.

Razer302
June 21st, 2012, 05:15 AM
It happens so much now that I am used to it. A few people have left because of it but I need the money. So I can't and until I can sort out moving to america I am stuck there. Then knowing my luck I will start work in america and get robbed again... If that happens I will just help them take the money. Really lost interested in stopping them, more important things to live for than stopping robbers.

CarefulWetPaint
June 21st, 2012, 05:09 PM
Getting held up would not be a pleasant experience at all.

I think you have the best idea how to handle it now, just help them out and get them out as fast as possible, I guess thats the safest way to handle it.

I hope when you move to America you have a much safer job that doesnt get you held up every other month!

Katholic Nun
June 27th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Let me all show you this example from my store's daily bulletin. This is one of the more ridiculous items, just to give you all an idea of the wank I have to deal with from the higher ups on a day-to-day basis:

http://i.imgur.com/W3TJV.jpg

I think the highlight was the quote they actually expect us to say lmfao.

CarefulWetPaint
June 27th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Andy are you sure you're even allowed to post something like that where the public can see it ? :P
The carbon tax is going to kill retail.. Just like this constant rain is! Ugh does weather effect anyone else's business?!

Razer302
June 27th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I bet none of the wages have increased to handle the extra cost of living... Oh of course it hasn't because no one cares about the people aslong as government gets its money.

Katholic Nun
June 27th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Well I wouldn't know anything about that. All I know is that where I work, we work hard to keep prices down, but they can change for a range of different reasons. I also know that we have worked with our suppliers to minimise the impact of the carbon tax on products sold at our stores.

CarefulWetPaint
June 27th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Well I wouldn't know anything about that. All I know is that where I work, we work hard to keep prices down, but they can change for a range of different reasons. I also know that we have worked with our suppliers to minimise the impact of the carbon tax on products sold at our stores.

hahaha! Do you already have that memorized? Have you had to say that to any customers yet?
Oh how the carbon tax will make everything in Australia even more ridiculously priced.

Katholic Nun
June 29th, 2012, 06:50 AM
lmao no. I'm never going to actually say it to a customer. We haven't even had anybody through that has been *****ing about the carbon tax yet... so I don't know how I'll handle it when they do. But you can bet your ass I will not be regurgitating a company line. They don't pay me nearly enough for that.

I'll probably just tell them we're not allowed to discuss the carbon tax with customers in an eye-rolly sort of way that will allow us all to laugh at the company's douchery together :P

CarefulWetPaint
June 30th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Haha!
How much is the carbon tax even changing the prices? The Australian government just wants our retail industry to fail and die doesnt it..

Is anyone else experiencing stupid price raises like this because of the carbon tax or a similar thing?

Katholic Nun
June 30th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't know anything about that. All I know is that where I work, we work hard to keep prices down, but they can change for a range of different reasons. I also know that we have worked with our suppliers to minimise the impact of the carbon tax on products sold at our stores.

Jellicent♀
July 2nd, 2012, 11:53 AM
So, here i go on to hit the ol' dusty trail again. After a very crappy week of sales, I'm going to be put on "correction" because i was unable to trick my customers into buying $200 worth of merchandise per sale. Like, they literally told me that is what I need to do in order to keep sales up, and if I don't, I'm in trouble. Again, they don't realize people don't want to spend that much money in a store they've never visited before. not only have they never visited, but they do not want to/can't open up a store credit card, which is my fault. [/sarcasm]

So, here I go off to have a meeting with my manager within the next hour or so, to hear him tell me how wonderful he is and how badly I'm doing, and then treating me like I'm a complete idiot throughout the whole process of it all.

That beauty store still hasn't contacted with me. :c
WISH ME LUCK.

CarefulWetPaint
July 2nd, 2012, 04:14 PM
Are they legit saying they are going to fire you if you cant make people spend $200? Are they crazy? Do they not understand how retail works and that you cant force people to buy things, especially if they arent interested. Your boss sounds like a real big idiot and I really hope you can get out of there soon!

GOODLUCK ON THE BEAUTY JOB!! I think at least there you wont feel so bad and actually enjoy yourself.

I currently have no interesting stories to share besides shutting shop early to go surfing which was awesome. Anyone else have the power to shut early if they have somewhere else to go?

Katholic Nun
July 2nd, 2012, 04:33 PM
Yeah, good luck on that beauty store job indeed - you really need to get out of there. The sooner the better.

If you get fired though, surely you could sue them for wrongful termination. There has to be a part of that law that caters for 'unreasonable demands' or something like that.

botanicas
July 2nd, 2012, 05:25 PM
I'm new, but damn am I joining this club.

I work at a head shop (or a hemp shop for non-canadians. or generally just a store that sell "tobacco" paraphernalia). Most of my customers are nice people who are having normal days and understand how to interact with people. I guess everyone has most of those people as customers...

Being a non-smoker myself though, I rage pretty hard at stoners who come in and are too fried to describe what they want or have a coherent conversation that doesn't take them 5 minutes to string together a coherent sentence...
Then there are the hippies that think I want to hear about my aura or this cool new crystal that enhances their "quantum mechanics". I swear, I had a hippie try to explain to me what quantum mechanics are and get it completely ****ed. Lots of pretentious mumbo jumbo happens here, anyway. Oh and people who think I give at all about their drug use at any point in time.

Katholic Nun
July 3rd, 2012, 05:03 PM
Hey botanicas, welcome!

You certainly have a... unique problem haha. I've been into shops before that sell amethysts and other kinds of crystals that are meant to enhance your life in different ways, and I've had the staff there try to explain to me how they affect your aura and how they change your aura to draw different things to you as if by magnetic force, but I've never actually been accosted out of the blue lol.

I've perfected the 'smile and nod' technique at work where if somebody keeps prattling on for too long, I just pretend to be intensely interested in what they're saying while beckoning the next customer to me and slowly turning my attention to them so they have no choice but to shut the hell up and leave :P

CarefulWetPaint
July 3rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
The most annoying group of girls have been coming into my shop basically daily and just annoying me so much. They come in make loud noises touch everything act like idiots and just be pest. I swear theyve even scared of customers ugh.

How should I deal with them? I just give them a blank stare and a monotone voice to say "Please leave as fast as possible." Good idea?

Impo
July 3rd, 2012, 11:41 PM
I served a lady who smelt like manure today. It's hard to smile when your eyelids start twitching in reaction to the stench.

And I served people from school and almost dropped their bags yay great impressions I make on people

R a c h e l
July 8th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I work at a Sainsbury's and when I get shoved on checkouts I'm determined to chat to every single customer I serve - last week I had a grumpy middle-aged lady whose shopping consisted mostly of carrots, and the only thing I could think of to say was "So, are you a fan of carrots?"

Straight afterwards I was like oh wow, I actually just said that aloud to another human being... but she just sort of shrugged and moved on! Figured this was a decent place to share that story :P

Razer302
July 8th, 2012, 04:37 PM
ewwwwwwwwwwwww Sainsbury's... CO op is better... :P

That reminds me of last week. They had me on tills and this regular customer noticed my name was dan. So when she goes "oh your names dan" I replied. "Yep and yours is (name removed) I stalk people" after I was like... oh god I hope she took that as a joke... Thankfully she did or I was in serious trouble haha

Jorah
July 9th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I work at Sainsbury's, too. Working on self-serve >>>>> working on tills. I just hate talking to random people. Also, I just like being able to walk around rather than being stuck in a little cage for hours :P I feel like I can be more helpful to customers since I can find products/offers myself, rather than calling supervisors because we aren't allowed off tills.

I've had those odd people who seriously bulk-stock up on the most random things. I've had one guy spend about £30 only on Galaxy Ripples, someone buying 10 bottles of 2L Coca Cola, 20 packets of Sainsbury's basics noodles (mostly by students...), a couple buying 50 single bottles of beer, someone buying soley 20 loaves of bread, an amusing groups of students who bought £100 worth of alcohol. The people that scare me though are the posh old people that spend about £200/£300 on purely wine, bread rolls and burgers. It's obvious they're having a party and are well-off, but seriously. Seriously.

Ravenfreak
July 10th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I would love to join, as I share your pain in retail as well. Infact I had to work today. I work at a grocery store, as a checker so yes I deal with bad customers. Sometimes they can be back to back, other times I won't have a bad one, etc. Today I had a horribly rude woman. I always say "Hi how are you today?" I hope to get a response, well a good one at least. When they say "Okay" I don't like it. Honestly, I would love for them to ask how i'm doing. So I thought whatever, and I checked her out. She only had 2 items a 20 case of beer and creme horns. So I scanned the beer and the creme horns and told her the total. She pays, and then as I give her the receipt I said "Here you go" which is what I normally do. I wait for the customer to either say "thank you, have a nice day" or just "thank you" but no, this b*tch yanks the reciept from my hands and just moved the cart away. Now the woman before her had left her cart, but she moved it so I could scan her beer. That cart she moved was in my way and of course she just left it there when she left. So I didn't tell her "Have a nice day" because she didn't deserve it. >.< On a positive note, last Thursday a regular customer who's usually really crabby towards me apologized for how he treated me and even said "You seem like a nice person, and I hated how I treated you. I'm sorry, i'm going through a divorce right now." I felt sorry for the guy and I was shocked to see that a customer actually apologized for being rude. It finally made me realize that not all people suck. :D

Katholic Nun
July 19th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Yay, welcome Ravenfreak!

Retail (and probably waitressing) are definitely where you'd lose most of your faith in humanity, so it always makes me hapy when people show they're not always horrible like that man in your story :P

a couple buying 50 single bottles of beer

OK as a liquor store worker this just makes me angry. Do people not understand that that is the most expensive way you can buy it?! They put beer in sixpacks and cartons so that it becomes cheaper as you buy more! Idiots!

Unless of course it was fifty different types of beer and they were buying taste testers for all of them. In which case that's kind of cool :P

Ravenfreak
July 19th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome! :D Anyway, I won't be working at Shop N Save anymore, since they weren't giving me enough hours. :\ But i'll be working at Walmart in the dairy department so I don't have to deal with people that much anymore. :V Now I get to see the people of Walmart in real life. xD

CarefulWetPaint
July 20th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Oh how I would love to experience some of the things you're going to see at Walmart. I am positive you'll see at least 1 funny thing happen and youll just watch it and be like... wtf is going on?

In other news I had a crazy gypsy lady come into work at the start of the week and she got two coffees and talked to me for an hour about things I didnt want to know about like her trip to bali and her husband and the couple she knew which apparently one of them got beheaded in bali for a gold necklace. It was all way to intense and crazy for me to even care about but she wouldn't leave! How was I suppose to deal with that!?

Katholic Nun
July 21st, 2012, 07:36 AM
That's awesome Ravenfreak! You'll have to see if you can get some sneaky pictures for us :P

And uh, CWP... her trip to barely? XD

CarefulWetPaint
July 21st, 2012, 07:58 PM
Leave me alone Andy I clearly wrote Bali >.>

Have you had any drunks want to have an hour long conversation with you or do you kick them out if they try talking to you like a big meany?

Impo
July 22nd, 2012, 02:24 AM
I had an old lady who just wanted to talk. It was near closing and no one was waiting so I just placated her. Then she mentioned that a lovely man who used to work at Coles now left. She shed a tear and then told me "I've got his address though, so I'm just going to hope I'm lucky, gorgeous."

I'm not giving her my address.

Overlord Drakow
July 22nd, 2012, 03:49 AM
I work at a Sainsbury's and when I get shoved on checkouts I'm determined to chat to every single customer I serve - last week I had a grumpy middle-aged lady whose shopping consisted mostly of carrots, and the only thing I could think of to say was "So, are you a fan of carrots?"

Straight afterwards I was like oh wow, I actually just said that aloud to another human being... but she just sort of shrugged and moved on! Figured this was a decent place to share that story :P

You were supposed to say "What's up doc?"

A few weeks ago I was at Mc Donalds and there were a bunch of kids who were aggravating the staff and eventually the police came and dealt with them lol.

Katholic Nun
July 22nd, 2012, 07:24 AM
OH MY GOD RACHEL I'M SO SORRY I TOTALLY MISSED YOUR POST! WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

Have you had any drunks want to have an hour long conversation with you or do you kick them out if they try talking to you like a big meany?

I'm very nice to my customers I'll have you know; they love me to pieces. I've never had any drunk ones that wanted to talk to me however. Usually when they're drunk they just want to get drunker :P

And Impo, I think the cutest part of your story was when she called you gorgeous :P. I get that sometimes and I'm just like "d'awwww you are so sweet to notice".

CarefulWetPaint
July 24th, 2012, 01:23 AM
I never get called gorgeous :'( You guys are so lucky! I only have old people hitting on me its awkward as hell!

Why are you two the gorgeous ones! Wait, maybe for Andy its because its a liquor store and the girls are already frisky! Or boys in his case ;)

Impo
July 24th, 2012, 04:52 AM
And Impo, I think the cutest part of your story was when she called you gorgeous :P. I get that sometimes and I'm just like "d'awwww you are so sweet to notice".

I never get called gorgeous :'( You guys are so lucky! I only have old people hitting on me its awkward as hell!

DID YOU NOT SEE SHE WAS A STALKER WHAT IF SHE COMES TO MY HOUSE AND TRIES TO TALK TO ME I DON'T WANT TO BE NICE I DON'T GET PAID TO TALK TO HER IN MY OWN TIME

ASDFGHJKL AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Katholic Nun
July 25th, 2012, 08:05 AM
LOL she's not going to find out your address unless you give it to her; just lap up the compliments while you can get them! One day you will be old and your boyish good looks will be gone!

I do love it when the ladies flirt with me at work though. Obviously I'm not interested but it gives me a huge confidence boost :P

The nicknames I've been called at work are: gorgeous, tiger, champ, boss, chief, and on one particularly odd occasion, "sweet boy". Then there was that time I was called a 'saint' twice in the same shift by two completely separate customers. That was the biggest ego-boost I've ever had lmao.

Sector
August 25th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Alright so recently, my mom tried to get me into a job where she works at. In Meijer. No different than what Walmart treated me, after I spent 10 minutes in an interview with the hire-director (Or whatever you call them these days lol). It was July 14th. She said I would get a call back from another person (Suppose to do 3 interviews before deciding a person is hired) on the 26th of July. My mom said when she went to work, there was an orientation for the new employees on like the 27th. That's when we realized that I just got screwed from being told wither or not I was the person for the job or not. Aren't they suppose to call you up & let you know what's going on rather than just leave you hanging in the dust like that? No wonder the unemployment rate is sky high in this era.

Oh yeah, it was a "phone interview" I had with the woman. I've never had or heard of an interview done over the phone. Strange to me. I rather prefer going to the actual interview, being all dressed up & all.

You owe me one Andy

Overlord Drakow
August 26th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Alright so recently, my mom tried to get me into a job where she works at. In Meijer. No different than what Walmart treated me, after I spent 10 minutes in an interview with the hire-director (Or whatever you call them these days lol). It was July 14th. She said I would get a call back from another person (Suppose to do 3 interviews before deciding a person is hired) on the 26th of July. My mom said when she went to work, there was an orientation for the new employees on like the 27th. That's when we realized that I just got screwed from being told wither or not I was the person for the job or not. Aren't they suppose to call you up & let you know what's going on rather than just leave you hanging in the dust like that? No wonder the unemployment rate is sky high in this era.

Oh yeah, it was a "phone interview" I had with the woman. I've never had or heard of an interview done over the phone. Strange to me. I rather prefer going to the actual interview, being all dressed up & all.

You owe me one Andy

Well the thing is that there are probably loads and loads of people who apply for the same jobs so a lot of the time the employer just doesn't have the time / just cannot be bothered to get back to unsuccessful applicants. Some of the better employers would probably send a quick generic E-mail out though.

Yeah the concept of a phone interview was alien to me too at first but loads of companies do them nowadays and I've been to my fair share of them during my period of job seeking. The basic structure of employment procedures nowadays is as follows.

1) Resume screening.

An employer will get a whole bunch of applications and they have to do an initial sorting to choose candidates to follow up on. This is done by screening all of the applications against each other and comparing which ones stand out the most, usually by screening for key competencies the role requires and such.

2) Telephone interview / Online testing

I have found that companies usually do one or the other, but some do both. Employers use telephone interviews because it is cheaper and easier for them to do so. They are usually quicker too. It can cost a fair bit of money for an employer to undertake a formal interview with applicants especially if there are a lot of potential candidates to choose between, so a telephone interview is a preliminary interview used as a secondary sorting to gather candidates that the employer would like to interview face to face. You should use the fact that it is a telephone interview to your advantage though. Unlike a face to face interview, you can have notes to hand to utilize during the telephone interview and you also have the advantage of choosing where to take the interview too - preferably in a nice quiet room.

Some employers utilize something called Psychometric Testing which is in a nutshell used to measure the potential of candidates. These tests come in different forms but the main two are Numerical Reasoning tests and Verbal Reasoning tests. A third common test is known as a Logical Reasoning test. If an employer asks you to take one of these, be sure to familiarize yourself with what you are up against - there is plenty of material on the internet to so researching is easy.

3) Interview / Assessment Centre.

Congratulations if you are invited to a final stage interview or an assessment centre. In both cases, you will be given a briefing of the structure that will take place for the final selection process. Be sure to study this carefully and ensure you fully understand what to expect on the day. A face to face interview is pretty similar to a telephone interview though you should be weary that if you did do a telephone interview prior to a final stage interview, then you should expect the employer to go into more details on areas that you may have had difficulty in answering in the telephone interview. Usually when I've completed a telephone interview, I have an idea of which questions I struggled more on, so make sure you get those tougher questions ironed out for the final interview. Another thing to note is that a final stage interview is not always one on one. I've been to my fair share of interviews where I've had two people alternating questions to me. Usually one person is a manager of some nature and the other is a technical person. If you do get multiple people interviewing you, be sure you give each person a good amount of attention.

Assessment centres are where an employer invites a certain number of candidates to assess them all simultaneously throughout the day. There is usually a combination of group activities as well as individual assessments. The former tests how well you can work together with other people in a dynamic environment and the latter is usually an interview but they like asking candidates to do an individual presentation as well. You will be told in advance if you have to prepare for one of these, it's usually not a spontaneous task. The company will also give out a couple of presentations to tell you more about who they are and what they do and so on. It's very important to be active and engaging during these assessment centres and be sure to ask questions throughout the day as this shows the employer that you are interested.

I might expand on this and make a blog entry actually.

Katholic Nun
August 26th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I find that really, really dumb. Long and complicated processes like this for something as trivial and menial as a retail job are probably one of the reasons nepotism exists. Nepotism is just way faster and more convenient. It's much easier to say "hey, you know anybody looking for work?" than to go through this laborious process just to find a 'best applicant' that will probably be equally as competent as the worst applicant anyway.

Mochi
September 10th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I was redirected here :o

I work at a candy store in a mall, double whammy.

Katholic Nun
September 10th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Hey there, welcome to our little group!

We have a candy store in my mall, it's one of those international ones where they bring in all the stuff from America and England and overcharge massively for it :P. You got any stories for us?

Mochi
September 10th, 2012, 05:53 PM
For the sake of laziness, I'll c/p from the thread I made that redirected me here :p

So, I work in a bulk candy store. The one with the bins where you get a bag and fill up with whatever candy you want. I get one customer, I'd guess she was early 20s (with the attitude of a 12 year old) with her little sister. They had a $5 budget, and of course they fill their bag up with like $11 worth of candy.

I tell her, "That's fine, we'll sort this candy out later and you can fill a new bag; we've got scales at the register for you to check the weight and price."

So, she's all "Oh I don't want that. Take out a little bit of each candy."

She has five different kinds of (very similar looking) candy, and the line's building up. "Ma'am, you can just start a new bag."

She tells me again (more like she commands me) that she wants that bag and tells me to take a little bit of each candy out. After she promptly reaches inside the second bag with her bare hands to pull out a candy necklace (which I had to throw away).

So I get the gloves and start returning the candy (half of it was sour, so now the non-sour candy has the little sour powder crystals on it) and get back to the register, and it's $8 now. She screams at her little sister to get money from their dad who's in a different store, so I have to stand there with this hugely inconsiderate wench while my manager at the register next to me is flying through the customers trying to get the line down.

Long story short, I hate people who don't treat retail workers like people and expect us to be their slaves just because we're getting paid.

Razer302
September 10th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I hate customers like that. I get ones come in all the time like it. Come to the till and forget stuff then think they can go get it... Yeh sure back of the que you go.

And foriegn customers damn... drive me mad think thy can just walk to the front... get to the back or get out...

ATM my shop is terrible. We only have 1 manager and 1 supervisor... everyone else is off sick or AWOL. and the staff have gone awol to so... my shop is soooo bad I' on 7 days a week and its stressing me out.

Katholic Nun
September 11th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Oh god that sounds awful. I remember having to work 10 days in a row once, that was terrible enough - I can't imagine having to work 7 days a week on a more permanent basis.

And @AzaleaLightning, I've had customers like that before. They make your blood boil but you have to just smile through it. The thing I love about this club is getting angry on behalf of everybody else haha.

So last night I had my first rude customer for a while. I served him and somehow I managed to charge him for three sixpacks and he only bought one (don't ask me how, I honestly couldn't tell you). So he came back in for a refund and I put it through and gave him his money back and he decided after I'd given him the money that I wasn't apologetic enough and stood there lecturing me about manners. He was talking down to me and being very rude so when he demanded an apology I just looked at him and said "...right." and then moved onto the next customer.

He started to walk out of the store in a huff when my sister (who was at the register next to me) said to him "There's no need to be nasty". So then he turned on his heel and started on her about how I was rude so I just turned to him and said "IT WAS A MISTAKE!" probably a little louder than I should have. Then he left.

The customer I served after him said he needed to take a chill pill, which made me feel better haha. I probably should have apologised, but when he started talking to me that way I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Razer302
September 12th, 2012, 04:52 PM
At my store we actually can't work with our own family members...

Well I got promoted at my place to team leader... It feels weird to be in charge and locking up the shop on a night. my first official on witll be next tuesday and I'm working with 2 women that talk a lot... going to be a huge effort to get that completed without an argument haha.

CarefulWetPaint
September 14th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I dont think anything beats the old person that comes into your shop as youre about to close and does nothing but talk nonsense for half an hour which cause you to close 30 late and it throws out your whole after work schedule! They make me wanna hit my head against the wall nearly as badly as the idiot telemarketers who call up not realising its a business. GOD DAMN IT! ITS A PLACE OF BUSINESS NOT A PLACE FOR YOU TO BE CALLING! RAWR!
/end rant.

So congratulations on getting a promotion Razer! Pay rise?

Razer302
September 15th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Theres this old mental guy that comes in late and always buys 7 of everything... facing up literally goes out the window with this guy. He drives us all mad.

Not much of a pay rise, but I got what I wanted and am now going to use it to get a new job else where that will give me much more money for the same thing I do now.

I basically run the whole shop at night now. I lock up, handle cash everything. Waiting till they pay for my alcohol license then I plan to jump ship elsewhere.

EvilSkittles
September 15th, 2012, 07:28 PM
'Ello, I'm joining up.

I work at a Salad Creations that just opened in June. I have so many stories to tell since we are just now getting our bearings but I have a particular one from tonight. I wasn't suppose to actually work tonight but I got called in since of the other people couldn't make it. I serving up front and this lady orders a Chipotle BBQ salad, halfway through making the salad she says she didn't order that so I have to throw it away and make a new one. Irritating but not too terrible but right after I make her another salad she orders the Chipotle to go. I wanted to wring her neck and my manager just laughed at me.

Katholic Nun
October 9th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Haha welcome EvilSkittles (love your username btw :P)

I've found that a lot in my line of work. That's the one thing I do love about my job - whenever there's a *****y customer and I deal with it badly (like in my post a few posts up :P) the manager never reprimands me, she always just laughs with me at how much of a ***** the customer was.

The funniest thing is when they make a huge scene and then threaten not to shop at your store anymore. What they don't understand is that the staff don't give a crap lol - they'd rather not have to deal with you anyway.

LividZephyr
October 9th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I don't work in Retail and thus can't join this union, but you all have my utmost sympathies. I read a comic strip called "Retail" which has exposed me to the harsh realities of humanity (even if some of it is exaggerated, it's mostly grounded in reality). It's available online - I suggest you guys check it out :)

By the way, I've attached a couple of samples for you guys (credit Norm Feuti) :)

CarefulWetPaint
October 10th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Ive never had people have big issues with me, sometimes they give me super dirty looks if I ask to look in their bags after they go into the change rooms without asking or showing me what they take into it. Seriously! Its policy and the sign on the change room says ask before you go in and leave you bags outside! THESE PEOPLE MAKE ME WANT TO RAGE. I really dislike them so much. They are about as bad as people who just come into the shop look around for 45 minutes then leave without buying anything. :'(

Katholic Nun
November 5th, 2012, 05:50 AM
OMG guys, I forgot to tell you!

Two weeks ago, my store had its very first armed hold-up! I wasn't there, it was my sister working with another guy, but they came in just before closed and pushed the guy around at the counter, telling him to open the safe and taking all the money from the safe and the registers. All in all, he got about $1800.

My sister was pretty shaken up, as was the other guy. The jackass never produced a weapon, but the surveillance camera showed that he had a knife on him. We were the seventh in a spree of seven liquor stores he had robbed in the past few weeks.

Fortunately, the next night they got the guy and he's now back in prison where he belongs. Apparently, so the story goes, he has been in prison since he was 18 years old and he had recently gotten out on parole after 24 years in the slammer. So our theory was that prison life is all he knew and he was looking for a way back in, so started holding up liquor stores to get back there.

It was pretty freaky though. The next day the whole team had to have a counselling session, and we now have an open-to-close security guard and extra flood-lighting to keep the baddies away B]

Razer302
November 6th, 2012, 07:11 AM
I wish my shop would do that after having stuff like this happen. All we get is a guard from 3-11pm for 2 weeks then hes gone again, and they all look so useless, only ever had one good one that I would really say is worth it.

I got promoted finally though. So I now run the night shift however I want to do it.

Katholic Nun
November 6th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't particularly mind if we only had the guard at night time, I was expecting they'd only give us a guard from like 4-8pm or something, but he ordered them from open to close so I was stoked with that!

The reason we were held up was that the gas station that my store is attached to is closed for two months so that the gas tanks can be excavated and replaced. All the outdoor lighting is in the gas station and it had to be shut off, so we were basically sitting there alone in the dark waiting to be held up, because there are no other businesses in the vicinity.

So long story short, we only have the security guards til the Shell re-opens, it's not forever :P.

Your store sounds ridiculous though... it's been held up so many times, and each time you only get two weeks of security? They have to know this is going to keep happening, they need to start working out some more permanent deterrent.

Mochi
November 11th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I had SUCH a rough day yesterday. The holiday shoppers are really starting to show their colors, and I had to deal with two broads.

We recently fired a complete tool who consistently priced items wrong and put invalid SKUs on everything, not to mention a lot of items have had price changes - pretty confusing atm. We carry some Nintendo toys that are about $5 apiece and one item some kid wanted to buy was ringing up as half that price, so I corrected it to the other Nintendo products, only about $2 more.

He was with two older women, sisters, friends, lesbian couple, idk idc. They were vicious. Middle-aged hags, they freaked out. The product was not even in the computer (it used to be, which makes me think recent price change since they have to re-enter it, I guess). They accused me of violating the law by not honoring the sales floor price multiple times, when I tried to explain the situation with the store's current prices, they accused me of making excuses and said I was horrible, had shi**y customer service, demanded my manager's name and corporate number, wrote down my name, the whole nine. My co-worker who I was training went in the back to call the manager. The product did have a price change (I guess? It's almost never sold and I didn't know the price, tried to explain that to the wenches but they just accused me of more excuses.) so they got two of them with a discounted price.

Whoever came up with "the customer is always right" needs to be freaking shot.

On another note, a superstore (Midwestern version of Walmart) that I frequent has been shoplifted twice in the past week. The first time I saw a woman being escorted into a police car by a cop with handcuffs, and last night I was walking in when two ghetto guys walked out, the alarm went off and they kept walking, and by the time they got outside one guy sprinted like mad across the parking lot. Lazy security literally took his time getting the walkie talkie and going outside, the kid was already out of the lot lol.

Katholic Nun
November 15th, 2012, 05:17 AM
I love that you refer to them as "broads" haha.

In my job, the managers are told to always back up the staff member, no matter what. That makes more sense to me than pandering to the customer. I guess where I work it comes down to things like not serving drunk/underage people and not so much about mispricing, but it still makes more sense to me to show a united front than to back down for fear that the customer will take their business elsewhere. That shows weakness, in my opinion. It shows the customer that their patronage is not only appreciated but required, which doesn't put forth the image of a successful business. It hands the customer too much power.

Mochi
November 16th, 2012, 03:30 PM
My co-workers are pretty supportive, at the moment though there's only five people staffed in the entire store, including management. Two of the five are completely new people that we're training, and I was training one of them when it happened so I'm sure she was a little side-swept by that ><

Anyway... I put in a two week notice for quitting yesterday. I'm leaving on December 1st as it's my next paycheck, fulfills the two week notice timeline, and that gives me a couple weeks to study. This was my first job and I thought I could do that along with full-time college, but that one blind-sided me. I've already dropped one class and I'm failing two (after starting the semester with four classes... lol).

I'm honestly pretty bummed to leave, I like working and being able to pay for my own things and that independence but school is a lot more important right now, and my manager agrees.

Newton
November 30th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I don't work in Retail and thus can't join this union, but you all have my utmost sympathies. I read a comic strip called "Retail" which has exposed me to the harsh realities of humanity (even if some of it is exaggerated, it's mostly grounded in reality). It's available online - I suggest you guys check it out :)

By the way, I've attached a couple of samples for you guys (credit Norm Feuti) :)

I read that comic and work in retail. Believe me, they hardly exaggerate. :(

Katholic Nun
December 7th, 2012, 07:27 AM
I feel really rude but I don't even remember LividZephyr's post so I'm glad you brought my attention to it!

I'll check out that comic :D

Also does this mean you'll be joining our little club, Newton?

And that sucks, Azalea :(. December 1st has come and gone, so how do you feel now being out of the retail game for a while? :P

Mochi
December 7th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Honestly, it's made me unwind so much about everything, even schoolwork (though I don't think that's good, since that was my motive for leaving xD)

But, I think it is good to relax, especially this time of year. I find it really unfortunate how retail workers have to work through holidays, it'd be nice if more stores did seasonal hiring to give their regular employees more time for days off around that time ;u;

Katholic Nun
December 7th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Hahaha time off in retail... you say funny things :P

We have an email sent around mid-November every year that basically says "ha suckers, no more days off starting NOW until mid January. Good luuuuck!"

If you listen very closely, you can hear them cackling as they send it.

Mochi
December 7th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I'm wishful for better treatment in retail, yes ;w;

In all seriousness though, I do miss my job! My co-workers were amazing and the job itself was pretty easy, just too time-consuming for a full-time student ^^;

But yikes that's pretty low, my store was really small (only five employees) so everyone knew each other pretty well and such, and my manager did let us take days off, if they were serious, though.

Katholic Nun
January 1st, 2013, 04:51 AM
So, my fellow retailers, how did your Christmas period go? Any interesting tales to tell?

EvilSkittles
January 14th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Well my Christmas sorta sucked. One of my coworkers knocks a stack of bins on my head and gives me a concussion. Then a few days later I'm fired over the phone with no explanation.
The bright spot was that the place ended up going out of business two weeks later.

Ravenfreak
January 15th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Hey guys long time no see! I'm no longer a cashier at Shop N Save (thank god) but I still work in retail as a dairy clerk for Walmart. I still had one or two horrible customers but not nearly as much as I did when I was a cashier. Thank god the hollidays are over with, they were way too stressful for us. But one of the women was looking for half and half, which we ran out of our store brand but had 2 Prarie Farms quarts. She freaked out because we "didn't have any half and half" when we clearly had at least two things of the PF brand. >.< There was an older gentleman that was looking for the same thing but he was nice about it so I apologized for not having it to him and just ignored the stupid woman that complained. Also one day while I was stocking milk this stupid woman came up to me and said that some of the half gallons of Skim Milk had Chocolate milk spilled on them and her words were this "I don't know if you care, but it looks like Chocolate Milk spilled on this." in a snobby voice. I just said okay and took the half gallon back. I was nice to an older woman who had the same problem after that dumb woman, and kindly cleaned the bottle off for her. And finally the last story I have, my Department manager and I were stocking eggs and there was this snobby rich woman who probably never worked in retail her whole life kept picking up cartons of eggs that were broken and kept saying "Oh this is horrible!" I then said i'm sorry ma'm, and she just said in a snobby voice "I'm sure you are." So my department manager found her a decent carton and she left. We have tons of things to stock, we don't have time to go through ever single carton of eggs we have. There's no way we could do that and get everything else done. Those are the only bad customer experiences i've had while working at Walmart so that's good. Now I don't have to deal with customers that much, and some days not at all.

vaporeon7
January 17th, 2013, 02:38 AM
So, my fellow retailers, how did your Christmas period go? Any interesting tales to tell?

They were hell. Everyday my feet swelled up to the point where I could barely walk and I had to ice them every night (stupid new shoes).

(Directed more at Andy) Don't you hate it when people try and scan their Flybuys themselves, IT'S OUR JOB FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

G.U.Y.
January 17th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Oh dear..I work in fast food, I mean, they're kind of similar? Can I still join in? :D

Katholic Nun
January 21st, 2013, 08:21 PM
Of course you can, Landorus! The Retail Workers Union welcomes anybody in a customer service industry (or just really anyone who wants to ***** about their job :P)

(Directed more at Andy) Don't you hate it when people try and scan their Flybuys themselves, IT'S OUR JOB FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

Haha I've heard people *****ing about that before! We don't have that problem at Liquorland though, because we have scanny guns that we're always holding. We don't just swipe it over that pad thing. But it does seem really obnoxious lmao.

Also I have some news about my job that for once isn't *****ing! I... got promoted. I got a call randomly on Thursday from my manager saying that there was an assistant manager position at a neighbouring store and that it was mine if I wanted it. I love my store and I don't want to leave, but the job security and extra money that comes with a full-time job isn't something that you can really pass up. So yeah, I'm really excited! :D

G.U.Y.
January 21st, 2013, 10:32 PM
Of course you can, Landorus! The Retail Workers Union welcomes anybody in a customer service industry (or just really anyone who wants to ***** about their job :P)

Haha I've heard people *****ing about that before! We don't have that problem at Liquorland though, because we have scanny guns that we're always holding. We don't just swipe it over that pad thing. But it does seem really obnoxious lmao.

Also I have some news about my job that for once isn't *****ing! I... got promoted. I got a call randomly on Thursday from my manager saying that there was an assistant manager position at a neighbouring store and that it was mine if I wanted it. I love my store and I don't want to leave, but the job security and extra money that comes with a full-time job isn't something that you can really pass up. So yeah, I'm really excited! :D

Yay <3

Congrats on that boo! We're in the same boat, a couple days ago my store manager came up to me and asked out of nowhere "So Steve, when do you want to start training to become an Assistant?" I was completely caught of guard lol. I just got promoted to Shift Lead Manager (hourly position in charge of crew) and only a few months later I am being promoted to Assistant (salary in charge of the shift leads). Woop!

Impo
January 24th, 2013, 03:09 AM
Two days ago someone called up the store and said that I packed her bags so well that Management gave me a box of chocolates :3

it was nice

vaporeon7
January 24th, 2013, 03:42 AM
Congrats on the promotion Rai!

So today a family can though the checkouts with 12 trolleys full of reduced Christmas hampers. In the end there was like 65 hampers. I was so close to having to serve them too.

Impo
January 24th, 2013, 04:36 AM
Congrats on the promotion Rai!

So today a family can though the checkouts with 12 trolleys full of reduced Christmas hampers. In the end there was like 65 hampers. I was so close to having to serve them too.

Oh that would suck

I remember I had 5 minutes left in one shift and a guys comes through with a trolley so I was like "sure okay"

and then he pulled 4 more from behind the drinks cooler thing and someone had to take over after I was 10 minutes late to clock off.

$1200 dollars later and asdfghjkl

G.U.Y.
January 24th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Oh that would suck

I remember I had 5 minutes left in one shift and a guys comes through with a trolley so I was like "sure okay"

and then he pulled 4 more from behind the drinks cooler thing and someone had to take over after I was 10 minutes late to clock off.

$1200 dollars later and asdfghjkl

This happens almost every day to me. It's time for me to clock out, my replacement is late, and I have to make someone's $50 order.

Today we had some lady call and cuss me out because the cashier didn't give them sauce. Lady, you need to ask! We're not psychic. After demanding corporate's number and hanging up, she called back an hour later saying "Hey, I found my sauce but now my food is cold can you replace it? My order was only $20."

lolno.

My boss is also trying to have a baby but she can't naturally because she had ovarian cancer. She's shoveling money at it I really hope she does get pregnant but it'll scare me when it happens. :/

vaporeon7
January 26th, 2013, 03:28 AM
I don't think I have ever got out of work on time when I finish at closing time. It's normally half an hour later. Today, my last customer asked my why I didn't have a girlfriend...

Katholic Nun
January 28th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Congrats on that boo! We're in the same boat, a couple days ago my store manager came up to me and asked out of nowhere "So Steve, when do you want to start training to become an Assistant?" I was completely caught of guard lol. I just got promoted to Shift Lead Manager (hourly position in charge of crew) and only a few months later I am being promoted to Assistant (salary in charge of the shift leads). Woop!

Two days ago someone called up the store and said that I packed her bags so well that Management gave me a box of chocolates :3

it was nice

Congrats, that's awesome both of you! So what I'm getting from this is that even though we all hate our jobs, we're all exceedingly good at them :P

On the subject of finishing late, our shifts always used to end when the store closed, but we'd still have to stay for an extra five or so minutes to close down the registers and get set the alarms and whatnot. Which was fine, nobody cared. Until somebody complained and now all our shifts are like 2:15-8:15 or something ridiculous like that, so we're paid for 15 minutes after closing. Which would be fantastic except for the fact that they actually expect us to stay there until 8:15 even if we've finished closing everything by 8:05.

I don't think I have ever got out of work on time when I finish at closing time. It's normally half an hour later. Today, my last customer asked my why I didn't have a girlfriend...

When I was asked that once, I responded with "oh my boyfriend wouldn't like that."

EvilSkittles
January 28th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Why is it so ridiculously hard to get a restaurant job at this time of the year? I swear.
Waitressing, cashier, I will do anything but people are only hiring for the back of the house which I don't have enough experience to work in. My Serve Safe makes me more qualified than most you would find back there but apparently doesn't give me enough to be hired.

G.U.Y.
January 29th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Why is it so ridiculously hard to get a restaurant job at this time of the year? I swear.
Waitressing, cashier, I will do anything but people are only hiring for the back of the house which I don't have enough experience to work in. My Serve Safe makes me more qualified than most you would find back there but apparently doesn't give me enough to be hired.

Are you applying to places near a college/school district? Usually places do all their hiring in the Summer to have the staff fully trained for the busy months when school is in if they are near schools.

EvilSkittles
January 31st, 2013, 10:53 AM
Luckily no college but there is a massive school district, especially the high school. My schedule is set up so that I'm free during the day when the others won't be, still hasn't worked yet.

Katholic Nun
February 4th, 2013, 06:28 AM
The best advice I can give is volunteer to work the first week for free. People love free work, and if you do a good job they may just hire you. Someone just needs to give you a shot so you can get experience.

G.U.Y.
February 5th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Thursday someone ran over our speaker so we couldn't take DT orders at the speaker. They had to pull to the window and order. The person who hit it just ran, which really sucks for them. They're on camera and it's a felony and we are pressing charges. They'll have to pay for it, and if they're a student they'll lose all their federal aide because they'll be charged with a felony.

Friday some guy started stripping in the dining room and he got arrested. 8 police cars and 2 ambulances.

Saturday was relatively normal.

Sunday we had 4 call offs. Not really call offs, but they said "Hey my car broke down I'll be late!" and then ignored all our calls afterwards. JUST SAY YOU CAN'T COME IN. Now they're all getting put on their final notice and if they get in any trouble again they'll be fired.

Monday was free churro day. Everyone could get a free one. Keep in mind that it takes about two minutes to make one. Whoever thought this was a good idea needs to die.

This week sucks.

Luckily no college but there is a massive school district, especially the high school. My schedule is set up so that I'm free during the day when the others won't be, still hasn't worked yet.

During the day will probably be the least likely available position. They're slower during the daytime and busier at night and there are probably parents who have kids who go to school nearby and work there for convenience during the day.

Mochi
February 22nd, 2013, 01:32 PM
I'm really nervous and really excited!!

I haven't posted here lately because I left my job in December, but I got a call from one of my former co-workers/assistant manager today, he just left me a voicemail saying that they're short handed right now and if I'd want to work a day or two.

I REALLY want to go back, I already made it known with everyone that I'd be returning in the summer to work (which is probably why they called me, I guess?) but I'm just afraid if they're short handed, they might try to put too many hours on me like last time, which is what interfered with my schoolwork... and I don't want to take a risk this time, cause I'm making all As and a couple Bs in my classes so far.

But because I'm doing so well, maybe I can afford to work again? Argh, I'm not sure >< I really want to call back but I just want to like, decide for myself what to tell them, because I'm unsure about that myself. The store closes at 9 so I don't want to call any later than 8, and I don't want to call over the weekend because they're so busy then, too.

Honestly, I kind of want to take this opportunity to go back to them as an actual employee, not just a fill-in, now instead of waiting until summer.

EvilSkittles
February 22nd, 2013, 07:13 PM
Things are looking up. I have an interview appointment at a pretty fancy restaurant who are looking for cooks that graduated from the Culinary I/Serve Safe program I completed.

I've never seen anything crazy like someone stripping but I have been one of those annoying kids that plays on the fastfood playground.

Edit:
I would call and be upfront about how many hours you can work.

Mochi
February 22nd, 2013, 08:03 PM
I actually went to the store cause it's so close to where I live to discuss my schedule with him, he seems totally flexible and even made it clear, "You can work one shift a week if you want, something is better than nothing."

I told him I only want to work 3 days max, I think I was pretty clear on that, he wrote down my availability schedule and I got my old company shirts back, my co-worker is going to text me a pic of the schedule tomorrow cx

Puppeteer Mask
February 25th, 2013, 05:25 AM
Wait, this exists? Why did I find out about this club just now? I'm so in. I work at two different locations at a service center on the highway, a convenience store and a café and bakery. Both of them suck equally in different ways. The customers at the convenience store are particularly bad. I think people are usually mean-spirited and treat service workers like ****, but on the highway they're also cranky from the trip and from being cooped up in the car, they're probably craving something specific that we don't have, and the prices on the highway are naturally going to be higher than usual due to the "convenience". ...how I haven't hurt someone yet I'll never know.

A couple days ago, I had a long line of customers. The guy I was serving didn't have enough money, dropped everything, and walked off to go grab more. I can't cancel orders halfway through without getting in **** later, so I asked the other lady working if she could hop on her cash and ring customers through while I waited. I summarized the situation to the other customers, apologized, and waited for the idiot to come back with money. He paid, left, and then the NEXT FREAKING CUSTOMER I GET DOES THE SAME FREAKING THING AND WALKS OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF HER TRANSACTION BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH FREAKING MONEY.

Okay. Calm now. That wasn't even the worst part. APPEARANTLY the woman that was supposed to be served right after the first customer that walked out went to my managers and told them that I refused to serve her because she's Latino. ...what?

Friday some guy started stripping in the dining room and he got arrested. 8 police cars and 2 ambulances.

...was he at least hot? *shot*

Katholic Nun
February 25th, 2013, 04:33 PM

What the hell? Why did a guy stripping require 8 police cars? And why did it require any ambulances at all? Did the sight of his naked body start a riot in the dining room where people were injured climbing over each other to get to his fantastic physical form? :P

That wasn't even the worst part. APPEARANTLY the woman that was supposed to be served right after the first customer that walked out went to my managers and told them that I refused to serve her because she's Latino. ...what?

Firstly, welcome!

Secondly, that may just be the funniest thing I have ever heard in my entire life lmfao. She didn't have enough money so she pulled the Latino card to get her stuff for free or something. It's so crafty I almost respect it.

Puppeteer Mask
February 25th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Secondly, that may just be the funniest thing I have ever heard in my entire life lmfao. She didn't have enough money so she pulled the Latino card to get her stuff for free or something. It's so crafty I almost respect it.

Ah, I probably should've been a bit more specific. The woman that went to the managers and the second customer to walk out on me were two different people. Sorry to deflate some of the humour of it. >.<

But yeah, technically my managers HAVE to talk to me when they get a customer complaint, but the entire private "disciplinary" conversation was basically the two of us going:

"What? Just.... what?"

"How does that even..."

"I don't know.... I don't even know..."

"What would make her..."

"I don't know..."

"It doesn't even..."

"I don't know!"

"Me neither!"

"So I guess... don't do... whatever this is again?"

"Yeah... whatever this is."

"...what is it?"

"I don't even know."

Team Fail
February 27th, 2013, 07:40 PM
I might as well join. I got set up for an interview at a Target hiring blitz today, so I'm heading off from school early to get ready. I'm really looking forward to getting the job, although I really hope I get a job in the Electronics Department. That would be just awesome.

Mochi
March 1st, 2013, 10:54 AM
What the hell? Why did a guy stripping require 8 police cars? And why did it require any ambulances at all? Did the sight of his naked body start a riot in the dining room where people were injured climbing over each other to get to his fantastic physical form? :P

I'm guessing the ambulances were because they thought he had a serious mental disorder or something? Maybe they thought he was schizophrenic, but 8 police cars does seem overkill xD

Anyway, my first day back last weekend went pretty good, the mall has calmed down so much since I left during December, but it's hurting our sales drastically. Also, there's six people working there now including myself, one girl gave her two week notice but is pretty much not even coming anymore and another one is looking for another job since it's a 45 minute drive for her.

My manager hasn't even been there a month and I can tell he hasn't done retail before, he's done restaurant management but it's a little different. He seems pretty desperate to get more people in, and I'm just hoping he doesn't start hiring nutcases. He legitimately didn't see a reason as to why we couldn't hire a 16 year old, until my coworker pointed out the fact it's illegal to have a 16 year old working alone or something along those lines, and he shut up. :p

Katholic Nun
March 17th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Welcome Team Fail :D

It's been ages since you posted that, so I hope you got the job at Target!

My manager hasn't even been there a month and I can tell he hasn't done retail before, he's done restaurant management but it's a little different. He seems pretty desperate to get more people in, and I'm just hoping he doesn't start hiring nutcases. He legitimately didn't see a reason as to why we couldn't hire a 16 year old, until my coworker pointed out the fact it's illegal to have a 16 year old working alone or something along those lines, and he shut up. :p

The younger they are the cheaper they come, that's why he wanted a 16 year old :P. I'm sure if the cheapskates at my work were allowed to hire minors they'd do it too. The cost-cutting practices businesses try to do these days are just absolute overkill lol

Kura
March 17th, 2013, 11:17 AM
As someone who looks relatively young, I often get ignored in retail stores even when employees clearly ask those around me.. but I feel this shouldn't be the case. Would you say that's too demanding of me because retail workers shouldn't feel they have to ask young adults based on the assumption they wont make a purchase?

Puppeteer Mask
March 18th, 2013, 05:34 PM
As someone who looks relatively young, I often get ignored in retail stores even when employees clearly ask those around me.. but I feel this shouldn't be the case. Would you say that's too demanding of me because retail workers shouldn't feel they have to ask young adults based on the assumption they wont make a purchase?

Hardly. Where I work we have to offer to help a customer even if it's obvious that they have no plans to buy anything. The level of youth that we don't provide this service for, well... if someone your age looks that young they must have a serious medical disorder. (And even then they usually come to us if they need something.)

Team Fail
March 24th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Welcome Team Fail :D

It's been ages since you posted that, so I hope you got the job at Target!

Thanks c: I did get the job, and we've all been hard at work lately haha.

vaporeon7
March 25th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks c: I did get the job, and we've all been hard at work lately haha.

Works at Target too~

I felt so sorry for one of my friends at work, she ad to put though $1100 of $2 and $3 baby reduced clothes. She was doing it for over half an hour.

Katholic Nun
March 27th, 2013, 03:36 AM
This is what you get for reducing baby clothes to $2 and $3. Stupid women panic when they get pregnant and think the baby will ruin everything it touches.

Meanwhile I had a full-circle moment at work today. About four years ago now my sister dragged me up to meet the Liquorland manager to do an informal job interview. Today, four years later, I brought one of my friends up for her to interview as my replacement! It was an odd feeling, but fantastic at the same time!

vaporeon7
March 27th, 2013, 05:05 AM
I remember my job interview. It was a group interview that was meant to be with like 6 people. Only one other guy showed up. I think we both got the job by default.

Kanzler
April 2nd, 2013, 07:34 PM
I've worked retail selling cellphones and plans for a summer and a semester. I stopped this semester, but I started feeling that it wasn't for me. I enjoyed speaking to customers and I completely loved the people I worked with. Without any doubt, I would describe it as a great first job experience. But I just don't like the idea of selling something in return for money.

I'm a university student right now, and I'm beginning to think that my entire life will be dedicated to science - which worries me, because retail is such a huge sector and so many people, people I know and people in general, get work there and I don't want to reject something that a majority of people find works for them. I feel that I am kind of conscientiously opposed to the sales ethos, to put it one way. I'm a very cautious shopper myself, and I always want to highlight not only all the pros but all the cons of the product, then explore the product competition and then even a product that may not be a direct competition but might be a solution in another way. I'm also sickeningly frugal to the point of letting my girlfriend pay for our outings sometimes (I don't carry much but $20's and pocket change) >.<. I feel that I'm just unable to embrace selling something in a way that the company, or any company, would want you to sell it - that is, portraying it in the best possible way, plus up-selling.

I find that I'm always tempted to portray the product at its worst just to explore the entire experience of owning that product. I'm a scientist and I wanna get the clearest picture of things. And while I /can/ sell and it doesn't bother me as I'm doing it, I just feel that it goes against the grain of my personality. I do enjoy the "starting conversations with the customer" bit and that works really well, but I would much rather sell ideas than sell products.

I don't mind interviews, I don't mind learning the ropes, and I certainly don't mind getting along with customers. I am just super suspicious about anything that involves the transfer of money. And while I got paid and won't complain about that, I was irked by the idea of commission.

I feel abnormal and inadequate that selling just does not sit right with me. And I also feel that I am closing off a huge reservoir of opportunity and a safety net if my career goals do not work out. Is this a part of me worth embracing, or is the trade-off too impractical and worth getting over?

tl;dr - I don't think I have the personality to sell something for money, at least not to do it for the long run. How should I embrace/work my way around this?

Yusshin
April 2nd, 2013, 11:21 PM
Hey, I'll join. I've worked as a cashier in retail since May 2012. This could be a good way to rant about how awful grocery store clients can be :P

vaporeon7
April 9th, 2013, 04:05 AM
I saw this and thought if this club.
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/73138_482653265115387_275595105_n.jpg

Katholic Nun
April 16th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Welcome Yusshin! Start *****ing to your heart's content! :P

I've worked retail selling cellphones and plans for a summer and a semester. I stopped this semester, but I started feeling that it wasn't for me. I enjoyed speaking to customers and I completely loved the people I worked with. Without any doubt, I would describe it as a great first job experience. But I just don't like the idea of selling something in return for money.

I'm a university student right now, and I'm beginning to think that my entire life will be dedicated to science - which worries me, because retail is such a huge sector and so many people, people I know and people in general, get work there and I don't want to reject something that a majority of people find works for them. I feel that I am kind of conscientiously opposed to the sales ethos, to put it one way. I'm a very cautious shopper myself, and I always want to highlight not only all the pros but all the cons of the product, then explore the product competition and then even a product that may not be a direct competition but might be a solution in another way. I'm also sickeningly frugal to the point of letting my girlfriend pay for our outings sometimes (I don't carry much but $20's and pocket change) >.<. I feel that I'm just unable to embrace selling something in a way that the company, or any company, would want you to sell it - that is, portraying it in the best possible way, plus up-selling.

I find that I'm always tempted to portray the product at its worst just to explore the entire experience of owning that product. I'm a scientist and I wanna get the clearest picture of things. And while I /can/ sell and it doesn't bother me as I'm doing it, I just feel that it goes against the grain of my personality. I do enjoy the "starting conversations with the customer" bit and that works really well, but I would much rather sell ideas than sell products.

I don't mind interviews, I don't mind learning the ropes, and I certainly don't mind getting along with customers. I am just super suspicious about anything that involves the transfer of money. And while I got paid and won't complain about that, I was irked by the idea of commission.

I feel abnormal and inadequate that selling just does not sit right with me. And I also feel that I am closing off a huge reservoir of opportunity and a safety net if my career goals do not work out. Is this a part of me worth embracing, or is the trade-off too impractical and worth getting over?

tl;dr - I don't think I have the personality to sell something for money, at least not to do it for the long run. How should I embrace/work my way around this?

My advice would be to get a job that doesn't involve you directly selling a product. Selling cellphone plans involves you actually having to actively work to sell something to a customer. If you get something in regular retail, like working in a supermarket or a department store just stocking or on the cash registers, it might sit a little bit easier with you and it's an easier job all around as well.

If you still hate doing that, my only advice is to suck it up because the world survives on the exchange of money for services and you need to put yourself through school somehow :P

I saw this and thought if this club.
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/73138_482653265115387_275595105_n.jpg

OH MY GOD YES. It's so frustrating. At Liquorland your password needs to involve both letters and numbers and has to be between 6-8 characters long. What I always do is do two letters followed by 0000, because the keyboards have a '00' key, which means I only need to hit four different keys every time I need to use my password.

I started at a new store recently so I could start my password cycle back from the beginning. I started at aa0000, but I'm already up to cc0000 :(

Team Fail
May 3rd, 2013, 08:52 PM
OH MY GOD YES. It's so frustrating. At Liquorland your password needs to involve both letters and numbers and has to be between 6-8 characters long. What I always do is do two letters followed by 0000, because the keyboards have a '00' key, which means I only need to hit four different keys every time I need to use my password.

I started at a new store recently so I could start my password cycle back from the beginning. I started at aa0000, but I'm already up to cc0000 :(

HEY NOW I KNOW YOUR PASSWORD >_>

Anyways, just did my training for the register at Target. It was backfiring so badly. We were going to void an entire trial transaction, when we got a "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error on the tills. Being a programmer, I thought this was pretty funny, but we had to void a bottle of Pepsi separately from the rest of the transaction to get it to void the whole transaction properly haha.

But yeah. I would rather work in retail than in a restaurant or something of the like, mostly because you're doing a lot more and in retail, everything is on a system, whereas a restaurant is highly unpredictable.

Mochi
May 6th, 2013, 08:02 PM
I want all of you wonderfully patient retail employees' opinion on something. This is going to be hard because I'm REALLY steamed right now.

Tonight was inventory, no big deal. All we have to do is count stuff out and weigh things. The store closes at 9 pm and by the time we finish, it's usually only about 10 or 10:30 in extreme situations, and then everything is 100% done. Not tonight. We didn't leave until 11 pm and he wasn't even close to being done.

Our manager had to call in the other manager from a nearby store to show him how to do inventory. He's been there for nearly 3 months, and he still can't even close out the register for the day by himself. He was impatient and rude with everyone today, finding at least one thing to complain to everyone individually about. He informed us that when we request days off, we aren't guaranteed to have them off and if we miss a day that's requested off that he schedules us for last minute, we face being reprimanded.

Me and the other employees weighed 20+ lbs of products and counted hundreds of products all day today. He sat on his behind at the register on the phone all day long. He got really mad at the fact we weren't done by the time the store closed at 9, and gave everyone bullcrap. He called my pregnant co-worker a "fudging" retard (he was a lot more colorful with the words, if you get my drift) and he compared her to two other girls who just left within the past month calling them "fudging" retards in the process. So he insulted three employees all in one go. Everyone is sick of him, myself as well.

So... I'm debating if I should just wait it out because inventory IS only once a month or if I should start looking for another job, given his behavior... :/ My favorite co-worker is leaving in 2 weeks and he says he's going to call corporate to report the manager for all the crap he's done (touching food that we sell with his bare hands, making children cry, endangering customers by mixing peanut-containing products with non-peanut and sugar with sugarfree) but he won't call the office until after his two weeks are up. I really want to text him tomorrow and ask him for corporate's number because I want to call them myself ASAP.

Should I just wait and see how things turn out or should I start looking for another job or just quit as soon as I can?