PDA

View Full Version : [Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 6 - 23rd April 2012

Maruno
April 23rd, 2012, 08:14 AM
Pokémon Essentials, version 6 - 23rd April 2012
Download (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Downloads)

That's right, it's out!

It's been almost 3 months since the last release, but I'd say it's been worth the wait. The screen size has now been upped to 512x384 (i.e. the size of a single DS screen), but that's not all. Pretty much everything you can see in Essentials (except the maps!) has now been redesigned to suit the larger screen size.

There has been a host of related improvements too, such as in style, presentation, speed and information. All in all, I'm sure you'll agree with me when I say that Essentials is now miles better than it used to be.

I should stress that the goal of this release was to resize the screen, not to redesign everything. The various redesigns that have been made were the necessary ones. This is why the Pause menu looks the same as it used to, for one - it didn't need changing for it to carry on working. Other aspects of Essentials that weren't improved here may well be improved in future.

I've made many many changes in this release, and I'm sure I haven't written them all down in the changelog. If you spot any tweaks that haven't been noted, share them below!

Enjoy!

This thread is only for discussion about this release.

Pharetra
April 23rd, 2012, 08:30 AM
Dude, you are awesome. Great work so far, I haven´t tested everything at the moment. The DP font isn´t working correctly anymore though, so I´ll fix that soon. I´ll send you a PM when I´m done.

http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/images/orig/4/11303222470-orig.jpg

Maruno
April 23rd, 2012, 09:04 AM
Dude, you are awesome. Great work so far, I haven´t tested everything at the moment. The DP font isn´t working correctly anymore though, so I´ll fix that soon. I´ll send you a PM when I´m done.
I don't think the DP gender symbols were ever fixed - they were just rarely used so it was barely noticeable. Small text uses a different font to normal text, and now all the gender symbols are shown in normal text rather than small.

Thanks for getting on it.

I knew the first reply would be a bug. :laugh:

AmethystRain
April 23rd, 2012, 10:10 AM
Then allow me to give you a reply that isn't one.

I love that you're putting this all together so neatly. You've done a fantastic job so far, and this new update looks gorgeous as well.

I was poking around this forum a week or so ago and I saw some snarky comment degrading this project on account of only one game having been completed with it. In rebuttal, and speaking from experience, I'd profess that this kit facilitates production practically to light-speed (at least relative to other amateur game design).

While the both of you are here, by the way, is there anything I might need to be aware of applying P-Sign's Ultimate BW Add-on to this version or should it work just as well as with the old one?

Maruno
April 23rd, 2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks very much. I fully agree that it's not the kit's fault if developers lose interest or get into a DNF loop.

Regarding the BW add-on thingy (I know what it's called; I'm calling it "thingy" anyway), you'll need the graphics and audio as normal. You won't need moves.txt, items.txt or abilities.txt as they're all up to date in Essentials. I recommend you leave the existing species in pokemon.txt alone, and just tag on the extra Gen 5 ones after it, rather than replace the whole file. As for tm.txt, I've attached my Gen 5 version of it, which may or may not be better than the add-on's version.

Pharetra
April 23rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Then allow me to give you a reply that isn't one.

I love that you're putting this all together so neatly. You've done a fantastic job so far, and this new update looks gorgeous as well.

I was poking around this forum a week or so ago and I saw some snarky comment degrading this project on account of only one game having been completed with it. In rebuttal, and speaking from experience, I'd profess that this kit facilitates production practically to light-speed (at least relative to other amateur game design).

While the both of you are here, by the way, is there anything I might need to be aware of applying P-Sign's Ultimate BW Add-on to this version or should it work just as well as with the old one?
For as far as I tested my Add-on with this version of Essentials, the graphics behave properly. You might want to watch out with the PBS files, they might be formatted incorrectly. I recommend adding the lines of the PBS files containing data not included in this release of Essentials to the PBS files of this Essentials version. If you need any help, please post in the thread of the add-on.

Maruno
April 23rd, 2012, 11:42 AM
There's a bug where trying to plant a berry causes the game to crash. The fix is on the wiki (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Category_talk:Known_bugs#FIXED:_Crash_when_planting_berry).

~Angel~
April 23rd, 2012, 01:34 PM
I also keep getting this Error message for a door can you tell me how to fix that? Never mind about the start screen post. I just need the door one
Pokemon Essentials
---------------------------
Exception: SystemStackError

PokemonControls:2:in `pbSameThread'

PokemonControls:46:in `updateKeyState'

PokemonControls:241:in `triggerex?'

PokemonControls:216:in `trigger?'

PokemonControls:216:in `any?'

PokemonControls:216:in `each'

PokemonControls:216:in `any?'

PokemonControls:216:in `trigger?'

PokemonSystem:137:in `update'

PokemonMessages:1734:in `pbWait'

salva123
April 23rd, 2012, 02:14 PM
I get this error when I try to start it:

Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError

PokemonLoad:308:in `pbStartLoadScreen'

DebugIntro:6:in `main'

Main:37:in `mainFunctionDebug'

Main:15:in `mainFunction'

Main:15:in `pbCriticalCode'

Main:15:in `mainFunction'

Main:47

Main:46:in `loop'

Main:55

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Salvador1\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
Aceptar

~Angel~
April 23rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
^ I have to tell you this but just Start a new game I learned that through the Wiki. Ctrl+Down+X

Nickalooose
April 23rd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Just to answer the last answer with another answer...
He means, when he clicks play test... The error occurs!
I get the same error.

To fix that... ERASE, the save game already within the folder, incase anybody has the same problem... Then there is no need to post that as an error.

Pharetra
April 23rd, 2012, 09:54 PM
Important!
Due to changes in how data is saved, older savegames are incompatible with this version of Essentials. You must delete your old savegame before running this project. It can be found at C:\Users\<Your username>\Saved Games\Pokémon Essentials.
Just pointing something out...

Now that the screensize is edited, how can I edit the BattlerPlayerY, BattlerEnemyY and Battleraltitude more easily? I don´t really want to mess with those values without a graphical interface, as the editor probably won´t do this properly.

Maruno
April 24th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Just pointing something out...

Now that the screensize is edited, how can I edit the BattlerPlayerY, BattlerEnemyY and Battleraltitude more easily? I don´t really want to mess with those values without a graphical interface, as the editor probably won´t do this properly.
The Sprite Repositioner (in the External Editor) was one of the things I changed to suit the new screen size. The auto-position calculations were also improved. It's very easy to use, and I assure you it works just fine.

IceGod64
April 24th, 2012, 04:41 AM
http://oi44.tinypic.com/s6u0yh.jpg

I get this problem on a fresh new file. All I do is go to the PC and choose "Deposit".

Also, the shop in the main area crashed because it can't find the item "POKeBALL".

Edit: And one more note. I gave myself a Deoxys and set it's form to its Defense form, but it's not showing at all in the Pokédex.

Maruno
April 24th, 2012, 06:43 AM
I get this problem on a fresh new file. All I do is go to the PC and choose "Deposit".

Also, the shop in the main area crashed because it can't find the item "POKeBALL".

Edit: And one more note. I gave myself a Deoxys and set it's form to its Defense form, but it's not showing at all in the Pokédex.
I only ever use "Move Pokémon", so I didn't notice this. In PokemonStorage, go to line 1299 and make it say self.y=Graphics.height-352. Fixed.

The shop problem is easily fixed (all item names are in all capitals now).

Do you mean Deoxys' Defence Forme doesn't appear in the list of available forms in the Form page (i.e. it only shows "Genderless")? Yeah, that's not completed yet - it only shows form 0 options at the moment. I want to add an extra line in pokemon.txt which will contain the names of all the forms of a species, but figuring out how to do that was unnecessary for this release. It'll be improved in the future.

The main difficulty will be in deciding which genders/forms of a species have been seen. That is, how to record them when it's possible to change the gender/form of a Pokémon after giving it (which could potentially "see" the wrong gender/form if the seeing process was automated too much). The only way around this is to trust that the users will follow a simple instruction about how to do this properly, and we all know how dangerous that is. The only other option would be to have all genders/forms visible from the start, but people might not like that.

Then of course there's the issue of needing to show the correct sprite in the list and entry screens, and the correct information in the entry screen... It's a hassle.

TACHAN
April 24th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Exactly why does save get damaged in the new version? It is to go carefully, since only I want to take some things of the essential.

You are doing a fantastic work with the Pokemon Essential. :D

IceGod64
April 24th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Another issue - With this very same Deoxys.

As I said, I simply added a level 70 Deoxys, changed its form to 2, and battled Camper Andrew. I used the move Psycho Shift, and it's not working - Not saying it failed as if it has an unimplemented effect, but rather the script error where it say's it used the move but just skips the animation or damage calculation.

I'm alittle skeptical on asking this since I don't know if it's actually supposed to work in the first place or not, but for whatever reason, it doesn't.

~Angel~
April 24th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Ok so I was checking out my Pokémart and Instead of the Items I wanted:
PBItems::POTION,
PBItems::ANTIDOTE,
PBItems::PARLYZHEAL
It gave me the choise of Thick club, Silk scarf, and one that was blank. I don't know why but they had the Icon's of the Item I wanted they just did not have the correct names. I don't know where that blank one came from either can you tell me?

Maruno
April 24th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Exactly why does save get damaged in the new version? It is to go carefully, since only I want to take some things of the essential.

You are doing a fantastic work with the Pokemon Essential. :D
Save files contain all the information that needs to be saved, in a particular order. At the beginning are a couple of bits of information that are pre-loaded, because they're used in the "Continue" panel to show the details of the savegame. I slipped an extra bit of information in there, the current map number, so that the location could also be displayed. That's all.

If you don't want the location to be shown, then it's fine for you to leave the saving and loading scripts alone.

Thanks!

Another issue - With this very same Deoxys.

As I said, I simply added a level 70 Deoxys, changed its form to 2, and battled Camper Andrew. I used the move Psycho Shift, and it's not working - Not saying it failed as if it has an unimplemented effect, but rather the script error where it say's it used the move but just skips the animation or damage calculation.

I'm alittle skeptical on asking this since I don't know if it's actually supposed to work in the first place or not, but for whatever reason, it doesn't.
That move's effect hasn't been invented yet. Damaging moves whose effects haven't been implemented will just do damage, but status moves do nothing at all, exactly as you've described.

Ok so I was checking out my Pokémart and Instead of the Items I wanted:
PBItems::POTION,
PBItems::ANTIDOTE,
PBItems:PARLYZHEAL
It gave me the choise of Thick club, Silk scarf, and one that was blank. I don't know why but they had the Icon's of the Item I wanted they just did not have the correct names. I don't know where that blank one came from either can you tell me?
I changed the order of items.txt, so if you've replaced that with a version of your own... well, don't. Aside from that, I don't know what could have happened. Show me the contents of your Mart event.

FL
April 25th, 2012, 05:08 AM
Why you put the default BGM volume to 100? I think that is good to don't use the max to may increase the volume for the bgm with low sound without using an audio editor.

About the Shadow Pokémon that are now coloured as Shadow Pokémon everywhere, maybe it is good to make a Setting with this option on, off or only with some trainer variable like '$Trainer.viewShadowPokemon=true' that can be used to to represent Rui/Aura Reader (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Aura_Reader).

http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/images/orig/4/11303222470-orig.jpgThe old version font is working. I have attached in this post.

MaTe9usz6
April 26th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Where can I quickly edited sprites postion in animation, because chagne this in Editor is too very long? Because in move animation, every sprites change their postions. Screenshot:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12173118/NoweShadows/capture121.bmp

P. S.
I posted it in Bugs, but nobody anserws me.

Maruno
April 26th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Why you put the default BGM volume to 100? I think that is good to don't use the max to may increase the volume for the bgm with low sound without using an audio editor.

About the Shadow Pokémon that are now coloured as Shadow Pokémon everywhere, maybe it is good to make a Setting with this option on, off or only with some trainer variable like '$Trainer.viewShadowPokemon=true' that can be used to to represent Rui/Aura Reader (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Aura_Reader).

The old version font is working. I have attached in this post.
The default BGM volume was set to 100 because that made the battle music as loud as the map music (100 is the default volume). I think it's the best way. I'm sure it's not difficult to use an audio editor for your quiet tracks.

Maybe in the future, if I decide that a toggleable Aura Reader feature is necessary, I'll add it in.

The old version of the font (Power Clear) doesn't have a working space character, which is why it was replaced. The new version (Pokémon Diamond and Pearl) just needs some more tweaking to re-implement the gender symbols.

Where can I quickly edited sprites postion in animation, because chagne this in Editor is too very long? Because in move animation, every sprites change their postions. Screenshot:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12173118/NoweShadows/capture121.bmp

P. S.
I posted it in Bugs, but nobody anserws me.
I for one didn't answer you the first time because I didn't know what you were asking.

The best way of repositioning battle sprites is with the External Editor's "Reposition Sprites" feature. "Reposition All" does it even faster, but then you'll need to go through and adjust any enemy altitudes yourself - the game isn't clever enough to decide which sprites should be airborne.

As for being able to move the battlers as part of an attack's animation, they will only be moved if the animation has a position of "Screen".

FL
April 26th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Save files contain all the information that needs to be saved, in a particular order. At the beginning are a couple of bits of information that are pre-loaded, because they're used in the "Continue" panel to show the details of the savegame. I slipped an extra bit of information in there, the current map number, so that the location could also be displayed. That's all.
You can also put a begin/rescue clause that if the save can't be load, the old load way can be activated, but I don't think that this may be good for putting in Essentials, just point to developers that wish to maintain old save files.

The old version of the font (Power Clear) doesn't have a working space character, which is why it was replaced. The new version (Pokémon Diamond and Pearl) just needs some more tweaking to re-implement the gender symbols.The old version from the last Poccil update. The before one (the one that I upload in topic) didn't have neither problems as you can see in the screenshot.

pokemonmasteraaron
April 27th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I am speechless.
a a amazing, maruno!

PokemonyellowX
April 27th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Pokémon Essentials, version 6 - 23rd April 2012
Download (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Downloads)

That's right, it's out!

It's been almost 3 months since the last release, but I'd say it's been worth the wait. The screen size has now been upped to 512x384 (i.e. the size of a single DS screen), but that's not all. Pretty much everything you can see in Essentials (except the maps!) has now been redesigned to suit the larger screen size.

There has been a host of related improvements too, such as in style, presentation, speed and information. All in all, I'm sure you'll agree with me when I say that Essentials is now miles better than it used to be.

I should stress that the goal of this release was to resize the screen, not to redesign everything. The various redesigns that have been made were the necessary ones. This is why the Pause menu looks the same as it used to, for one - it didn't need changing for it to carry on working. Other aspects of Essentials that weren't improved here may well be improved in future.

I've made many many changes in this release, and I'm sure I haven't written them all down in the changelog. If you spot any tweaks that haven't been noted, share them below!

Enjoy!

This thread is only for discussion about this release.
Could you tell me how to make RPGMKXP work on windows vista home

FL
April 28th, 2012, 07:52 PM
The compiler change the Nidoran symbol for the pokemon.txt that I send you to '?', but you already correct this. You divide the pokemon.txt in two versions, one with regional numbers and other without, this isn't make it harder for an update?
Are you putting every text name in scripts using _INTL or ISPRINTF for the translate functions?
Neat use of ItemHandlerHash on balls! I suggest to use things like 'isSpecies?' to do things like Moon Ball effect for better code organization.
The Lure Ball icon its a tile row unpositioned (I know the blue/green reason).
I thinks that you need to put something on notes.html to show that it is deprecated like changing the name to "Notes - deprecated.html".
Since the game allows to store strings on $game_variables, the game crashes if you put a variable condition on event page on map for a variable that have a string value, maybe you can put a validation on it (and even in conditional branch) to this variable types count as 0 in line 'if $game_variables[c.variable_id] < c.variable_value'?

Can you put to the fishing normal graphics be load if the fishingsurf doesn't exist?
To do this in PokemonField change the line '$game_player.setDefaultCharName(sprintf("fishing%s%03d",$PokemonGlobal.surfing ? "surf" : "",playertrainer),patternb-pattern)' to 'setFishingGraphics(playertrainer,patternb-pattern)' and change line '$game_player.setDefaultCharName(sprintf("fishing%s%03d",$PokemonGlobal.surfing ? "surf" : "",playertrainer),patternb+pattern)' to 'setFishingGraphics(playertrainer,patternb+pattern)'. Before line 'def pbFishingBegin' put:

def setFishingGraphics(playertrainer,patter)
usesurf=false
if $PokemonGlobal.surfing
name=sprintf("fishingsurf%03d",playertrainer)
usesurf=FileTest.image_exist?("Graphics/Characters/"+name)
end
$game_player.setDefaultCharName(sprintf("fishing%s%03d",
usesurf ? "surf" : "",playertrainer),patter)
end

Could you tell me how to make RPGMKXP work on windows vista homeRight click in Properties, Compatibility, set other Windows like XP.

Maruno
April 29th, 2012, 04:20 AM
The compiler change the Nidoran symbol for the pokemon.txt that I send you to '?', but you already correct this. You divide the pokemon.txt in two versions, one with regional numbers and other without, this isn't make it harder for an update?
Only a little. I don't think there's anything more that needs to be changed about the existing species, so it shouldn't crop up. Having the two versions makes examples easier. Of course, you don't need to use two versions yourself.

Are you putting every text name in scripts using _INTL or ISPRINTF for the translate functions?
As far as I know, yes. I've even put some graphics filenames in them too (ones with words in), to allow those to be translated.

Neat use of ItemHandlerHash on balls! I suggest to use things like 'isSpecies?' to do things like Moon Ball effect for better code organization.
The balls had handlers before I came along. Thank Poccil for that.

There's no such thing as "isSpecies?", and it'd be exactly the same as what's already there anyway so there's no point changing it.

Nice catch with the icon. It's blue just to be up-to-date.

I thinks that you need to put something on notes.html to show that it is deprecated like changing the name to "Notes - deprecated.html".
They're nearly deprecated. As soon as the remaining bits of useful information are put onto the wiki, I'll just delete them.

Since the game allows to store strings on $game_variables, the game crashes if you put a variable condition on event page on map for a variable that have a string value, maybe you can put a validation on it (and even in conditional branch) to this variable types count as 0 in line 'if $game_variables[c.variable_id] < c.variable_value'?
I didn't know that happened. Then again, I'm careful. Maybe it should be left like that, though, because it's a better indicator that you're doing something wrong.

Can you put to the fishing normal graphics be load if the fishingsurf doesn't exist?
To do this in PokemonField change the line '$game_player.setDefaultCharName(sprintf("fishing%s%03d",$PokemonGlobal.surfing ? "surf" : "",playertrainer),patternb-pattern)' to 'setFishingGraphics(playertrainer,patternb-pattern)' and change line '$game_player.setDefaultCharName(sprintf("fishing%s%03d",$PokemonGlobal.surfing ? "surf" : "",playertrainer),patternb+pattern)' to 'setFishingGraphics(playertrainer,patternb+pattern)'. Before line 'def pbFishingBegin' put:

usesurf=false
end
end

I'm not entirely sure when you'd use the regular fishing graphic as the surf-fishing graphic. If you just want it to be a place holder while you don't have a surf-fishing graphic, then why not copy the regular fishing graphic?

Again, it also serves as an indicator of a problem. If you suddenly disappear while surf-fishing, it's a more dramatic sign that you don't have the right graphic than if it just uses the "wrong" graphic.

FL
April 29th, 2012, 11:05 AM
As far as I know, yes. I've even put some graphics filenames in them too (ones with words in), to allow those to be translated.
This shold be described in some place.
Please note also that the scripts in game events must use "_I" function instead.

The balls had handlers before I came along. Thank Poccil for that.Wow, I didn't notice! The handlers must be in the last ones poccil releases.

There's no such thing as "isSpecies?", and it'd be exactly the same as what's already there anyway so there's no point changing it.Search for 'def isSpecies?' on scripts. The point is for code organization.

They're nearly deprecated. As soon as the remaining bits of useful information are put onto the wiki, I'll just delete them.Yes, but this need to be more clear, a good numbers of novices still thinks that everything listed in notes still work.

Also:

By the way, to copy/paste abilities from old poccil system to Maruno new system (and vice-versa) is only necessary to copy the PokeBattle_Move, PokeBattle_MoveEffects, PokeBattle_Battler and PokeBattle_Battle scripts? Updating isn't a option.

Maruno
April 29th, 2012, 01:07 PM
This shold be described in some place.
The wiki is right there (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Translating_the_game), and it's free-for-all. Why must I do smegging everything? I don't even have any experience with translating the games, so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Search for 'def isSpecies?' on scripts. The point is for code organization.
No really, it's exactly the same thing but it's a bit more long-winded.

Strange, doing an all-section search for isspec doesn't find anything, but isSpec does. No, I don't have Match Case ticked.

Yes, but this need to be more clear, a good numbers of novices still thinks that everything listed in notes still work.
Well, since it's obvious no one's going to be nice and go through the notes to properly deprecate them (by adding the last of the information to the wiki), I suppose I'll do it myself. At some point. Just like everything else. I'll just delete the notes, then, since they're mostly inaccurate.

By the way, to copy/paste abilities from old poccil system to Maruno new system (and vice-versa) is only necessary to copy the PokeBattle_Move, PokeBattle_MoveEffects, PokeBattle_Battler and PokeBattle_Battle scripts? Updating isn't a option.
Are you asking if that's the case, or are you stating that it is the case? Regardless, I recommend that you don't have anything to do with the old versions - the new versions exist because they're better. I'm not going to try supporting older versions.

PokemonyellowX
April 29th, 2012, 03:13 PM

usesurf=false
end
end

Right click in Properties, Compatibility, set other Windows like XP.
i did and it still does not work.

superanthony182
April 29th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I got A Question in my game when I go to use A Pokeball nothing happens but everything else I have worked out and it is greattt good job.

Maruno
April 30th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I got A Question in my game when I go to use A Pokeball nothing happens but everything else I have worked out and it is greattt good job.
It works for me (I spent ages improving the ball-throwing animation), so you must have changed something.

FL
May 1st, 2012, 03:17 PM
The wiki is right there (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Translating_the_game), and it's free-for-all. Why must I do smegging everything? I don't even have any experience with translating the games, so I don't know what I'm talking about.Ok, but if I didn't ask you or search well, I can't find the existence of this feature.

Strange, doing an all-section search for isspec doesn't find anything, but isSpec does. No, I don't have Match Case ticked.I have observed this before, I thinks that is a RPG Maker XP bug.

Well, since it's obvious no one's going to be nice and go through the notes to properly deprecate them (by adding the last of the information to the wiki), I suppose I'll do it myself. At some point. Just like everything else. I'll just delete the notes, then, since they're mostly inaccurate.I am surprised about how big the Essentials popularity is and how small is the help that people are giving to you. I focus in find and fix some hard bugs, things that the majority of people can't do. If prefer to left the other people to help with these basic things, but I going to help you. After around 4 months, if nobody help you with this, so I put theses info on wikia.

Are you asking if that's the case, or are you stating that it is the case? Regardless, I recommend that you don't have anything to do with the old versions - the new versions exist because they're better. I'm not going to try supporting older versions.Stating. Can you answer my question, please?

The new graphics are very good! I only don't like the box hud colors.
You stated that the BaseEXP in txt are wrong for some pokémon (like Chansey), but why you don't correct this?
Where you find the HgSs Box graphics?
How about putting the two new gen 4 box marks?
Why don't put autosort pockets like TM/HMs and maybe berries?
I don't know if it is a bug, but I can step in PokéCenter plant.
You also need to put more trees and similar things in test maps because the player vision is bigger.
There some "wt[5]" in the sample pokégear entry.
I think that some screens like Pokégear and Jukebox are show (regard fading) too quick.

Not many animals were harmed in the making of this game.LOL

Maruno
May 1st, 2012, 03:45 PM
Stating. Can you answer my question, please?
I don't know. The battle system is complicated, and depends on many other things in other scripts.

The new graphics are very good! I only don't like the box hud colors.
You stated that the BaseEXP in txt are wrong for some pokémon (like Chansey), but why you don't correct this?
Where you find the HgSs Box graphics?
How about putting the two new gen 4 box marks?
Why don't put autosort pockets like TM/HMs and maybe berries?
I don't know if it is a bug, but I can step in PokéCenter plant.
You also need to put more trees and similar things in test maps because the player vision is bigger.
There some "wt[5]" in the sample pokégear entry.
I think that some screens like Pokégear and Jukebox are show (regard fading) too quick.
I assume you're talking about Pokémon storage there. I ripped the wallpapers myself, had trouble designing something that looked good with the very limited space, and couldn't be bothered improving the markings.

It would've been a bit more effort to find the Gen 5 BaseEXP values, so I didn't bother.

Auto-sorting pockets may be added later.

I didn't bother making the example maps larger because it would have taken even longer, and I intend to completely replace them soon anyway. The plant problem is just because the tileset isn't set up properly, and that will also be fixed when the maps are redone.

I know some screen transitions are inconsistent. I tried fixing them but couldn't really find a convenient solution. I swear those \wt[5] commands in random phone calls were working before; I'll have a look at them.

Not many animals were harmed in the making of this game.LOL
I was wondering when someone would find that. :P

oldsnake90
May 2nd, 2012, 10:59 AM
The intro music for trainers goes into the battle. how do you fix that?

~Angel~
May 4th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Ok. Maruno I've done nothing but. Now the game won't even load for me once I start a new game or battle my rival the thing crashes. I don't know what to do :/...I might have to start over but I Hope not cause I put some work into it :/ All I did was look for the starting over script and nothing else and now all the data is gone. I tried using my old data not like scripts and stuff but trainers. Maybe you can tell me what happened? ok So I just went back and copied the Data from the regular V6 itself but i get this error now can you tell me how to fix it?

Script 'Interpreter' line 276: RuntimeError occurred.

Script error within event 2, map 39 ():

Exception: NameError

Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'The trainer 'Rival' is not valid. Please add the trainer

to the list of trainer types in the Editor. See the notes for

more information.

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::Rival,"Dawn",_I("How? How?..."),false,0)

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:788:in `eval'

Interpreter:788:in `command_111'

Interpreter:320:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:193:in `update'

Interpreter:106:in `loop'

Interpreter:198:in `update'

Scene_Map:103:in `update'

Scene_Map:101:in `loop'

Pharetra
May 4th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Ok. Maruno I've done nothing but. Now the game won't even load for me once I start a new game or battle my rival the thing crashes. I don't know what to do :/...I might have to start over but I Hope not cause I put some work into it :/ All I did was look for the starting over script and nothing else and now all the data is gone. I tried using my old data not like scripts and stuff but trainers. Maybe you can tell me what happened? ok So I just went back and copied the Data from the regular V6 itself but i get this error now can you tell me how to fix it?

Script 'Interpreter' line 276: RuntimeError occurred.

Script error within event 2, map 39 ():

Exception: NameError

Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'The trainer 'Rival' is not valid. Please add the trainer

to the list of trainer types in the Editor. See the notes for

more information.

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::Rival,"Dawn",_I("How? How?..."),false,0)

Interpreter:788:in `eval'

Interpreter:788:in `command_111'

Interpreter:320:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:193:in `update'

Interpreter:106:in `loop'

Interpreter:198:in `update'

Scene_Map:103:in `update'

Scene_Map:101:in `loop'
Maybe actually reading these messages would help...

~Angel~
May 4th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Well I did read it but still even though its in there this pops up I don't know what to do :/ Oh and thanks :D You remember me from Youtube?
I asked some questions for help :P

Nickalooose
May 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM
You're not reading the error... "Rival" is not in trainers.txt... It's probably "RIVAL"... Or you haven't added Rival at all into trainers.txt!

AmethystRain
May 4th, 2012, 10:22 PM
The Sprite Repositioner (in the External Editor) was one of the things I changed to suit the new screen size. The auto-position calculations were also improved. It's very easy to use, and I assure you it works just fine.

I've been working with this recently, and it's somewhat frustrating. I keep randomly getting this error:

Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RGSSError
BitmapCache:318:in `initialize'
BitmapCache:318:in `initialize'
SpriteWindow:819:in `new'
SpriteWindow:819:in `initialize'
SpriteWindow:815:in `each'
SpriteWindow:815:in `initialize'
SpriteWindow:805:in `chdir'
SpriteWindow:805:in `initialize'
SpriteWindow:222:in `new'
SpriteWindow:222:in `initialize'

It can happen when I scroll through a Pokemon, when I select to edit that Pokemon, or when I save the edits. It's happened on a number of Pokemon sporadically, and when I reloaded the editor and tried again, it'll work fine on the Pokemon it crashed on. It may also crash on a Pokemon it didn't crash on previously.

I AM using P-Sign's animated sprites/BW pack, but that doesn't modify the scripts, so... Is there anything you can say about this?

Maruno
May 5th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I've been working with this recently, and it's somewhat frustrating. I keep randomly getting this error:

It can happen when I scroll through a Pokemon, when I select to edit that Pokemon, or when I save the edits. It's happened on a number of Pokemon sporadically, and when I reloaded the editor and tried again, it'll work fine on the Pokemon it crashed on. It may also crash on a Pokemon it didn't crash on previously.

I AM using P-Sign's animated sprites/BW pack, but that doesn't modify the scripts, so... Is there anything you can say about this?
The error message is self-explanatory, and it happens because you're using gifs (the scripts mentioned in the error message point to the gif support). I really don't know anything about using gifs, so I can't help. All I can think of is to look for patterns or trends in when it happens (e.g. changing the sprites too quickly), and then avoid doing that.

FL
May 5th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Why you don't put the old TMs (at least the Gen IV ones like Focus Punch) in tm.txt?

The Sprite Repositioner (in the External Editor) was one of the things I changed to suit the new screen size. The auto-position calculations were also improved. It's very easy to use, and I assure you it works just fine.I don't think so. Now it can't auto-resposition well sprites with size other that 160x160.
There any reason to the Backers in essentials be 8 points positioned under battle box?

Auto-sorting pockets may be added later.
Tip: To make the item pc storage won't sort order too, just edit in class PCItemStorage, ItemStorageHelper.pbStoreItem to pass a new parameter, and when this parameter is pass, the itens won't be sort.

Are you asking if that's the case, or are you stating that it is the case? Regardless, I recommend that you don't have anything to do with the old versions - the new versions exist because they're better. I'm not going to try supporting older versions.
I think that if someone didn't like some changes in essentials and wish to port some features from previous releases (like the volume thing, the overworld frame movement, the old trainer card, bordered options) or even stay in some release if someone like some of its features (like stay in version 5 if prefer 240x160) is ok, just not recommend for bugfixs.

Maruno
May 5th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Why you don't put the old TMs (at least the Gen IV ones like Focus Punch) in tm.txt?

I don't think so. Now it can't auto-resposition well sprites with size other that 160x160.
There any reason to the Backers in essentials be 8 points positioned under battle box?

Tip: To make the item pc storage won't sort order too, just edit in class PCItemStorage, ItemStorageHelper.pbStoreItem to pass a new parameter, and when this parameter is pass, the itens won't be sort.

I think that if someone didn't like some changes in essentials and wish to port some features from previous releases (like the volume thing, the overworld frame movement, the old trainer card, bordered options) or even stay in some release if someone like some of its features (like stay in version 5 if prefer 240x160) is ok, just not recommend for bugfixs.
I just didn't feel like including former TMs in tm.txt.

In the official games, back sprites are 8 pixels below the command bar. I'm just mimicking that. I did think it was weird, but there you go. I suppose it lets them "jump" around a bit more (e.g. lurching forward to do a Tackle).

What overworld frame movement? I don't even know what that means, let alone what I did to change it. And yes, people can do whatever they want with whichever version they want - all I'm saying is that they'll have a harder time if they refuse to keep up with me (not only because the bug fixes need to be found and then copied across, but also because the wiki's documentation may well change with new changes and no longer be useful to old versions).

mewlover22
May 5th, 2012, 04:36 PM
i looked at the wiki and was wondering if the new version is worth updating to as i want my games to be as good as they can be?

AmethystRain
May 5th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I would recommend it, personally, mewlover. Like he said, it's a lot smoother/faster/more appealing. Plus, it's only going to keep getting better, so it's a good idea to keep up with updates.

Maruno
May 6th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Obviously I'm bound to say you should upgrade, but it really just depends on what you want. Most people would want to upgrade to get all the bug fixes, but some may not want to upgrade because they don't like a particular change to something they liked (the most notable example is the recent screen size change and GUI overhaul). Those are the main factors.

mewlover22
May 6th, 2012, 10:32 AM
is there any way to use the old screen size and gui because i enjoy them?

Maruno
May 6th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Download version 5, then. Any other option requires a huge amount of effort on your part.

SytheXP
May 6th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Nice work Maruno, Looks good and I must say you have out done me as far as getting the graphics together and everything, Not that it was to difficult :P graphics are usually the easy part its the scripting thats harder. Nice job, cant wait to play around in it a bit more, Am currently trying to get a decent HGSS tileset compiled. I hate the game rips :/ prefer the edited ones similar to Kymotonian's work.

the__end
May 6th, 2012, 11:26 PM
how about you add slot machines to essentials?
here is a working version but its pretty old --> http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=237060&highlight=slot+machine
im sure you guys can improve it so it becomes even better! ;)
i loved this feature since R/B/Y and i think its an important part in any pokemon game (well BW dont have this feature <.<) =)

SytheXP
May 8th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Could you tell me how to make RPGMKXP work on windows vista home

I dont know if anyone answered you or not but I figured I would let you know. Also I dont think this is the correct thread for questions of this nature. Anyway youre going to install RPG XP and there should be a Desktop Icon. You right click the icon click properties. Next youre going to click the compatibility tab and then tick the box that says Run As Administrator. Now you will get a prompt every time you open it but it will works. This also works for Windows 7.

Maruno
May 11th, 2012, 01:19 PM
The old version font is working. I have attached in this post.
I've just tried using your font (the old one, Power Clear), and again I find it doesn't have a space character. The gender icons are fine, but the original problem has returned.

How are you getting it to work?

FL
May 12th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Maybe its a good idea to make a "preview" of the next version content every time that you launch a new one.

Put the different language pokémon exp extra boost. To do this in PokeBattle_Battle, change line 'exp=(exp*3/2).floor if isOutsider' to

if isOutside
if thispoke.language!=0 && thispoke.language!=self.pbPlayer.language
exp=(exp*3/2).floor
else
exp=(exp*17/10).floor
end
end

If you put an option to define the pokemon form in trainers.txt, in PokeBattle_Pokemon change

# Generating move list
movelist=[]
for i in 0..length-1
alevel=atkdata.fgetw
move=atkdata.fgetw
if alevel<=level
movelist[movelist.length]=move
end
end
atkdata.close

to

# Generating move list
movelist=[]
movelistmax=self.getMoveList
for k in movelistmax
if k[0]<=thispoke.level # Learned a new move
movelist[movelist.length]=k[1]
end
end

Or the pokémon with different forms movepool won't work. Maybe you need also to initialize the PokeBattle_Battle object with form.

Even if you put gender/ability in trainers.txt, if aren't all pokémon defined, they are randomized. This isn't a good thing as you can battle and lose with some trainers several times (or even specials trainer that can be battle several times) and in every battle they have a different gender/ability (this can be very noticed with some pokémon with big gender differences like Hippowdon).
To solve this, create a formula to define this when isn't defined in trainers.txt like (trainerID+firstLetterCharacterNumber+lastLetterCharacterNumber+specieInternalNumber+partyPosition*7)%8=numberg. This numberg (that can have 0..7 values), after gender specie percentage, defines pokémon gender. For Abilities is the same thing, but you can do a numberg%2 to pick the flag.

I discovered that if the folder 'C:\Users\USERNAME' doesn't exist, the save goes to the game folder.

I just didn't feel like including former TMs in tm.txtI don't agree with this decision.

I've just tried using your font (the old one, Power Clear), and again I find it doesn't have a space character. The gender icons are fine, but the original problem has returned.

How are you getting it to work?Using an old version (04/03/10). In newer this became messed for some reason that I can't find. The first report that I fond about this is: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=6123696#post6123696

Nice work Maruno, Looks good and I must say you have out done me as far as getting the graphics together and everything, Not that it was to difficult :P graphics are usually the easy part its the scripting thats harder. Nice job, cant wait to play around in it a bit more, Am currently trying to get a decent HGSS tileset compiled. I hate the game rips :/ prefer the edited ones similar to Kymotonian's work.This is a Spriter opinion. For me the graphics are more harder that scripts. Knowing about Maruno scripter skills, he probably thinks the same thing.

here is a working version but its pretty old --> http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=237060&highlight=slot+machine
i loved this feature since R/B/Y and i think its an important part in any pokemon game (well BW dont have this feature <.<) =) I agree!

Maruno
May 12th, 2012, 03:10 PM
i loved this feature since R/B/Y and i think its an important part in any pokemon game (well BW dont have this feature <.<) =)
Spoilers...

Maybe its a good idea to make a "preview" of the next version content every time that you launch a new one.
You mean, say what I'll be working on next? The simplest answer is: I don't know what I'll be doing in a version when I start it. I just do what comes along.

If you put an option to define the pokemon form in trainers.txt

Or the pokémon with different forms movepool won't work. Maybe you need also to initialize the PokeBattle_Battle object with form.
I've already thought of and taken care of the form-specific movesets when it comes to initially creating a Pokémon. Battlers will have a form property eventually, but only when I get round to dealing with move/ability/other effects that change forms.

Even if you put gender/ability in trainers.txt, if aren't all pokémon defined, they are randomized. This isn't a good thing as you can battle and lose with some trainers several times (or even specials trainer that can be battle several times) and in every battle they have a different gender/ability (this can be very noticed with some pokémon with big gender differences like Hippowdon).
That's up to the user to deal with. I don't think I'll be setting up defaults for the trainer-owned Pokémon.

I discovered that if the folder 'C:\Users\USERNAME' doesn't exist, the save goes to the game folder.
The wiki is right there (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Saving_and_loading) if you've found some information that might be useful.

Using an old version (04/03/10). In newer this became messed for some reason that I can't find. The first report that I fond about this is: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=6123696#post6123696
So why did you say the older font worked, when you knew it didn't?

This is a Spriter opinion. For me the graphics are more harder that scripts. Knowing about Maruno scripter skills, he probably thinks the same thing.
I'm good at changing existing graphics, but very bad (to the point of impossible) at creating them. The graphics update was very much a combination of graphical skills and scripting skills. I couldn't say which was harder for me to do, designing all the screens or implementing them.

the__end
May 14th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Spoilers...

so you will add slot machines? :D