View Full Version : Hello Fellow Pokefans

Prof Oakley
May 8th, 2012, 5:18 PM
I made this yesterday but I was so wrapped up in looking up tutorials I forgot to introduce myself. So here I go!

Hey, I'm Oak. It's a literal nickname from my initials in a weird twisted way you probably wouldn't understand but it fits in with my pokemon love so I use it on my pokemon sites and such. I have been playing the pokemon games for awhile, I borrowed my friend's games back in elementary school (till my gameboy color got stolen) and got Ruby for my birthday. (I don't remember the year but I think it was the year it came out...)

Recently (as in Jan 2012) I started Spriting after seeing people on Pokefarm doing it and wanted to make my own little pokemon and feel accomplished in something. I can do splices and recolors pretty well and recently started doing some revamps for my Rom hack I'm making.

Speaking of that, Rom hacking is why I signed up for this so if anyone is great at making them or wants to try mine out whenever I get to it there's a link in the signature so feel free if you want to.

Spriting seems to be really 'easy' for me, I can't seem to do any from scratch unless I have an outline already done for me. If I find a picture online of a coloring page or cartoon of some animal I can make a sprite for it, but the never turn out all that great.

I have a deviantART page and a Tumblr that I put my sprites on, PM me for the links if you want although I don't put them on there since I rarely sprite now. I'd love to make some pokemon friends although I do have moments of hating the world so don't get offended if I seem cranky.

I love my cat, Bo, more than anything in the world because he's my baby boy. I got him for my 12th birthday and my 19th is coming up at the end of this month so we've been together for awhile. <3 Right now he's actually sleeping by my feet and he usually sleeps on a pillow by my face at night. He even purrs when I call him, although he doesn't come to me most of the time still.

Enough rambling, I probably said too much about myself and the internet ninjas will come into my house and kidnap me for speaking out of line or something... But just a recap for those who skim like me.

~ I like Spriting

~ Making a Rom Hack with vamps(re- and de-)

~ I love my cat more than air itself

~ I tend to get cranky at people a lot (on accident)

May 8th, 2012, 5:23 PM
Nice to meet you and welcome to the community Professor! I try making Sprites, but just can't get them to be perfect! I am familiar with ROM hacking, but you seem a lot more experienced than me! You do seen to have a sense of humor too! Anyway, welcome and I hope you enjoy your time with us!

Prof Oakley
May 8th, 2012, 5:34 PM
haha, the only sprites I can get to look any good are the splices because it's already made for me and I know very little about Rom Hacking actually. I just discovered it yesterday and can't do very much with it besides changing what the professor says.

May 8th, 2012, 5:37 PM
I can't even control what anyone says!!!

May 8th, 2012, 5:44 PM
Hey nice to meet ya.
Making sprites sounds pretty cool, what made you start doing that, and how hard is it if I wanted to start?

Also side note...Cats are awesome.

Prof Oakley
May 8th, 2012, 5:57 PM
I tried a bunch of scripting stuff but they were all really difficult but one of them...Advance Text is really easy you just erase what you want and fill it in, there's just a character thing to watch out for, don't go over what was already there.

Spriting is pretty easy, if I can do it pretty much anyone could. I suggest the cave of dragonflies spriting guide it's the best one I've found although there are some on here that might be helpful. It's pretty much copy paste for splices and then painting the pixels one by one to make everything the same basic colors. I did it because of others on pokefarm, they had spriting guides on the forum there and in their logs they had cool examples. I already can slightly do a little in GIMP so I figured why not try this, and it's fun :P