PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Pokecheck.org and its Effect on Trading

Cordelia
May 12th, 2012, 10:04 AM
How do you think the widespread use of Pokecheck.org has impacted trading? Is it a positive thing, a negative thing, or a bit of both? Has it helped or hindered you? Do you find that people just download Pokemon from Pokecheck instead of just trading for them?

Discuss!

Manila Luzon
May 12th, 2012, 02:03 PM
It's helped me a lot in terms of hack checking. However; I do believe it has hindered the trading world, too. The allowing of downloading .pkm files makes it so anyone can get any flawless Pokemon with just a few clicks. MAKE YO POKEMON PRIVATE. The only people who download them from Pokecheck are the people are just too lazy to RNG. Which I can relate to because RNG can be an absolute pain, but even though RNG screwed me more times than anything, I've never succumb to downloading from Pokecheck. It's unfair taking someone else's effort and passing it off as your own. (Not everyone does that, but there are still those people who do).

Keiran
May 12th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I enjoy Pokecheck a lot. I love being able to catalog my Pokemon, and it's definitely a very convenient response to an inquiry about a Pokemon to just link it's profile. But I think Pokecheck should stay true to its name, and remain simply just a "check" and not Pokecheckmeoutanddownloadmeforagoodtime.

It actually has only affected me negatively in battling, and not trading, because I've faced a toooon of hacks that were probably downloaded from a site like Pokecheck. But I guess if those people couldn't download teams they would just play PO and I enjoy Wi-Fi more, so..I guess I'm pretty neutral on that. D:

ExElementz30
May 12th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Its helped me a lot for when Im training as well as trading. It lets me see how many EVs i have for when i miscount, which happens a lot, and it lets me check IVs for those who ask about them in trading.

Manila Luzon
May 12th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Its helped me a lot for when Im training as well as trading. It lets me see how many EVs i have for when i miscount, which happens a lot, and it lets me check IVs for those who ask about them in trading.

Oh this as well. It's great for helping people determine Iv's and Ev's. A pretty nifty site for people who don't have an AR. I forget though; can Pokecheck clone? I can, right? If so +2 to Pokecheck.

Alli
May 12th, 2012, 06:12 PM
^ It can, but only your OT if you're registered. That being said, I like Pokecheck. I use it to clone, check my IVs/EVs, and I get parent Pokemon to RNG babies from there. Nifty little place. It's only helped me, honestly. I haven't gotten a hindrance from it.

Manila Luzon
May 12th, 2012, 06:17 PM
I get parent Pokemon to RNG babies from there.

What. What. What.

We're allowed to do that? Much of my life wasted. );

Cordelia
May 12th, 2012, 07:28 PM
What. What. What.

We're aloud to do that? Much of my life wasted. );

Of course we're allowed, it's what all of us do. Pokemon has essentially killed trading for parents as people just download them from Pokecheck, breed them, then release them. What killed trading for me though was being able to RNG... so that's why I mostly just give stuff out for free.

Jolteon*
May 12th, 2012, 10:22 PM
One of the most helpful sites. I don't use it beyond the following: EV checking (which reminds me that I still need a Qualot Berry), SID Checking, and IV Checking parents pre-rng abuse. I do catalog all my Pokémon I check, but that is so I don't have to reenter them later in case I forget something.

Of course we're allowed, it's what all of us do. Pokemon has essentially killed trading for parents as people just download them from Pokecheck, breed them, then release them. What killed trading for me though was being able to RNG... so that's why I mostly just give stuff out for free.

Wow, I never thought of downloading parents. That seems kind of like cheating though, but egg moves are a pain.

What. What. What.

We're aloud to do that? Much of my life wasted. );

Also, this is just me being my English obsessed self, but you misspelled allowed; or rather, you used the wrong word.

A Sadistic Bastard
May 12th, 2012, 11:14 PM
It has helped me a lot in battling. I used to offer legendary pokemon just for a DW Poliwag. Nobody accepted. I use Pokecheck to download parents. I rarely trade anymore because of it.

Gonzo
May 13th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Since I own French and Japanese games, I stopped using pokecheck as parent Pokemon database. Sometimes, I'm to lazy to Pal Park my Pokemon, so I use Pokecheck to do it. I also check if I EVed my mons correctly and I check legality of pokes I get in trades. That's all, I guess.

Pokecheck is deffo an useful tool, but it also make people lazy. I enjoy battles with Pokemon I breed/caught on my own or were RNG abused for me, rather than winning with some free randoms with no story behind them. I would also get really upset if I lose to someone with a fully Pokecheck'd team. If you don't want to learn RNG, just stick to PO.

I also think that Pokecheck kills trading.
- Hey, I couldn't find anything interesting in your thread, but you could breed a <breeding project info here> and we could trade.
- Sorry for trouble, but I found the same Pokemon on Pokecheck and I got it for free.
I've been in a situation like this a few times. It's sad...

Stormbringer
May 16th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I think it's a bit of a double edged sword, really. There's a lot of potential for abuse, idf someone uploads your Pokemon without your consent and they get distributed all over the place, which I would find irritatimg if you want to keep value in your pokemon. But the ability to hack check and obtain great IV'd pokes easily is a big plus.

Cordelia
May 16th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I think it's a bit of a double edged sword, really. There's a lot of potential for abuse, idf someone uploads your Pokemon without your consent and they get distributed all over the place, which I would find irritatimg if you want to keep value in your pokemon. But the ability to hack check and obtain great IV'd pokes easily is a big plus.

Pokecheck allows you to register your saves so OT hijacking is impossible. If someoen uploads your Poke, there is an option to prevent it from becoming public.

Alli
May 16th, 2012, 08:37 PM
There's also an option in your settings to automatically make your Pokemon private upon being uploaded. I, of course, have all mine set to private. I keep them there for quick cloning for when someone wants to trade for something I've got in the shop. Though that's rare. Everyone just wants free bps lol.

Stormbringer
May 16th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I did not know that. XD

Even so, I'd worry about the long term viability of your stock, it being instantaneously available takes away from their 'value' I think, and I'd run out of things to breed after awhile.

Loner_grunger
May 19th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Well I really like that I can check hacks and even download parents for breeding. I have to admit I abused it to get a special Celebi, but only to unlock my game's zorua because I wasnt able to get the celebi when it was distributed. After that I released it. So, yeah, it can be pretty useful.

VoxynZ
May 20th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I've started using Pokecheck recently for breeding parents. I know it might not be considered as "pure" as trading for them, but since they're available, why not use them? Chances are if you try to trade today for a parent with great IVs, something from Pokecheck will be in their genetic line anyway.

I taught myself to RNG eggs so that I could breed competitive Pokes for my personal use. When I know that people can simply Pokegen something that is legal (though not legitimate) and passes WiFi checks, I don't feel bad at all considering the time it takes me RNG the egg, and then EV train it and level grind it. Even with trading to another game cartridge, it still takes on average 15-20 E4 runs to get to Lv. 100.

Wiilio
May 21st, 2012, 02:47 PM
It's kinda killed my need for trading. Now if I need parents, I just go to Pokecheck and download them. I only trade to people when I'm giving away Pokemon that I don't need anymore. It's just easier to have Pokecheck at your fingertips as opposed to waiting for some other person to get on Wi-Fi, having to give them something they want, etc.

PokeFreak201306
May 23rd, 2012, 07:38 AM
Personally i think the fact that all these people dont play the games legit and catch and train your own pokemon is ridculous, no wonder people get so bored of plahying games and play so many its not hard to beat a game using trillions of cheats where is the fun in cheating your way to the top and YES it is cheating your are just downloading from other peoples hard work and dedication, or possible there cheats, Catch and train them and take some time DANG :(

darkrai1018
May 23rd, 2012, 07:44 AM
I believe pokecheck is a good thing if not abused. I use pokecheck to find EV's and used it to first find my SID instead of an AR. I do also download pokemon occasionaly as breeders but never to keep. i feel more accomplished when I breed them myself. As for meaningless downloads and lv 100 uber teams people download to be lazy, i dont support that. it takes the fun from the game.

electrifuzz
May 27th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I find it immensley helpful, I can check EVs and IVs easily which I love.

Kaiza
May 31st, 2012, 01:24 PM
The only thing I used it for was 1.) Download a couple of lab rats to play around with, not use. and 2.) Get a ditto for breeding since I cant get a female tepig. :P it has hindered trading because people just get free pokes, but it helps breeding in such a way like my case. But for cloning, I'm getting an AR tomorrow. :D

Plusleminun
June 5th, 2012, 11:30 AM
It's cheat. Downloading others work is cheat. I just don't see the fun in not playing the game fair.

Greenbeans
June 9th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Overall i love pokecheck, i use it all the time for iv checking and hack checks, i used to use it for cloning but for some reason they decided to put ribbons on my cloned pokes 0.o so now i just do iv/hack checks, and one downside to it is that its pretty much all free pokes there.
And the people who get their pokes from there are just too lazy to get them themselves

8bitSilence
June 15th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I love the EV/IV checking. And hack checking.
And the only time I downloaded a Pokemon was when I downloaded a level 100 Serperior to clear the main story faster so I could focus more on breeding/shiny hunting. Of course though, I played through the game a couple times before, so it's not like I cheated my first playthrough of the game.

greg0915
June 19th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Personally I think Pokecheck has ruined trading...! I mean I used to collect DW females for breeding but now Pokecheck has come along my DW's are useless! you can get much better IV'd pokemon and for free so my 160+ DW females are useless now :( and also why trade to obtain a pokemon when you can much it's much easier, quicker and free to download someone else's. However there are good sides to Pokecheck, most notably hack checking. I also use pokecheck for checking EV's and IV's of mine and other's pokemon.

SnowpointQuincy
July 5th, 2012, 10:04 PM
After 1300 hours of pokemon and battle tower, I think I earned a short cut. I'm not a child anymore. There are only so many pokemon I can spend a week breeding and EV training. I want to expirement with a Hydragon, but he takes forever to level up, plus breeding time, plus EV training time.

On Wi-Fi, I wish the game could tell the difference and ban these copied pokemon. Battles are more fun with YOUR pokemon.

NavySealGR
July 6th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Pokecheeck its cool,easy to check ivs,legitimacy and maybe get perfect parents for breeding or rng breeding.But,i believe it really had a huge impact on the trading world.If you trade those pokes they are hacks,and im retty sure people will scam others abusing this rule.Furthermore,it makes getting not just a poke,but a flawless poke EASY.Personally i introduced pokecheck to a guy,and i regreted it.He was going to learn how to battle and rng,but he quited because he just found everything without working for them...

SnowpointQuincy
July 10th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I just tried Pokecheck.org for the first time to see how it works.

The pokemon you download have Primer Ribbons, so they can not be traded on GTS. They could still be traded locally, I think.

If they could somehow do the same thing for online battles, that would be a fair deal for everybody. "You can use pokecheck mons in your private game cartrage, but it has a special ribbon that bans it from trades and online battles."

People could experiment with pokemon, and then decide if it is worth the immense time sink for raising a legitimate one for Online Play.

However, That isn't the way things are... yet.

Gonzo
July 10th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Yes, you ca trade those Pokemon via wireless and WiFi (but not GTS). All 4th Gen events have this ribbon so, lol - you can trade them.

Pokecheck Pokemon are banned from official events as ribbon make them look like hacked but you can use them on random matchup, for example.

Skitty1
July 10th, 2012, 07:20 PM
If I want to trade I don't like the idea of being screened not that I would trade a cheated Pokemon but still.

Azazel
May 6th, 2013, 11:32 AM
I think Pokecheck has pieces on both the positive, and the negative. On the one hand, we now have a way to effectively check for hacked Pokemon, even if it's still not perfect and hackers are always getting better.

On the other hand, it opens up the ability for people to get a hold of just about any Pokemon they want, even though it would have a ribbon, which leaves people wondering just why they would need to trade any more. In just a few days, a person could easily complete the National Pokedex, leaving the need to trade completely moot.

Personally, I think the positive outweighs the negative, as I can provide people with a clear picture of what my offerings look like, and confirm my breeds are up to par with requests. I do think it has slowed down trading, but so has the simple ability to hack Pokemon. I think plenty of people still like to trade Pokemon the old fashion way, and as long as that's the case we will still have a place here on the forums.

bugsy555
May 6th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I used pokecheck to transfer my pokemon from ss to white 2!! I have no access to a second ds and i was looking for a way to do it without one and i found pokecheck! And best of all, they didnt put a ribbon on my poketransfer pokemon.

JalordaSerpent
May 31st, 2013, 04:01 PM
I personally love Pokecheck's ability for me to transfer 4th Gen to 5th gen via PokeTransfer method, with just 1 DS. It is very convenient for me. It is also extremely useful for getting exact IVs and EVs and not ranges from any normal IV Calculator. Again, it is also really useful for finding my SID for RNGing, and also checking Pokemon for legality.

On the other hand though, Pokecheck has extremely hindered trading now. Back in the day, you met up with someone and set up a meeting to trade what Pokemon you desire, or you could use random GTS and enjoy it when you get a trade out of it. Now with Pokecheck, literally anyone with a WiFi connection can get flawless IV/EV/Shiny Pokemon with just a few clicks. In my opinion, it's cheaty and not right for a person who actually takes their time to RNG/hunt.

That is just my own opinion; I'm sure many people have other views. But what is true is that Pokecheck has extremely changed how trading works, and I'm afraid it will never go back to the way it was meant to be.

Nuke
May 31st, 2013, 04:14 PM
I haven't really checked the trading situation since D/P/Pt so I've just read up on this after being intrigued by the thread.

Having recently bought and completed Black 2 and current playing Heart Gold, this site sounds like a godsend for me. I've been worrying about how I was going to transfer my Heart Gold pokemon over since I bought them both. Some of the other uses make it sound nifty too.

While it does hinder trading in some aspects, there's always going to be something stupid that ruins trading (Action Replay for example) so this is probably one of the more positive tools that does that.

It also defeats the horrible mechanic of IVs if I'm reading people's opinions correctly.

Melody
May 31st, 2013, 05:10 PM
I think Pokecheck fills a very good niche well. It allows people who are willing to cheat to cheat, but it doesn't force anyone else to use them. By tagging cloned/illegal pokemon with a ribbon, it makes illegitimate pokemon easy to spot, the way it should be.

I don't believe it's any problem if someone breeds from a hacked Pokemon, since the resulting pokemon is naturally generated.

I respect that some people may not want to cheat or own Pokemon that are otherwise illegal, that is having attributes that are not possible naturally. But I define illegal as anything that is obtained by exploiting the code. This does not include the art of RNG abuse, which exploits knowledge of how the PRNG in the game works, not the game code itself.

I don't like that some people might think that Pokemon bred from these "illegal" Pokemon are any less legal. They're not. Breeding re-introduces the randomness that the game designers intended, so requires the user to work at breeding.

I don't believe it harms trading, because there will still always be a demand for "Legal" Pokemon. The ease of getting "Hacks" is high. A trade will still always be as it's intended, a social experience, and it will become more valuable.

I actually believe Pokecheck is an improvement. It discourages people from passing off illegal Pokemon in a trade because they can get exactly what they want, made to order, from Pokecheck instead of scamming people who put in good honest work by legitimately obtaining their Pokemon in the game.

Pokecheck also maximizes the good one can do by putting hard work into creating Pokemon and distributing them to many people, rather than one, and do so without contributing to the problems that make Wifi trading unusable to players who don't like illegal pokemon.

Griffinbane
June 1st, 2013, 02:38 PM
Uhm, actually, Pokecheck doesn't tag clones and hacks with a ribbon. What it does is it tags anything you download that isn't yours with a ribbon, basically turning legit/legal stuff into hacks. If you're cloning your own Pokemon, you have to be careful to hit the right button, or else you'll download a copy of your own Pokemon... with a ribbon. There's a different button for cloning.

Azazel
June 2nd, 2013, 08:43 AM
This also means that someone who doesn't have the means to extract saves can still bring hacks to their game, as long as the Pokemon matches their OT they can import as many hacked Pokemon WITHOUT a ribbon as they like. This is certainly not a good thing, especially since they can use Pokecheck to make sure the Pokemon looks legal for all intents and purposes.

Griffinbane
June 2nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Eh, that's been going on since before the rise of Pokecheck though. Unfortunately, no matter what, there'll always be hacks floating around. X & Y only brings new hacking potential, and doesn't affect the old.

twistedpuppy
June 2nd, 2013, 04:34 PM
What Griffinbane said. Before the existence of Pokécheck, there's been Pokésav, PokéGen, Action Replay, Legal.exe, storage devices, and various other methods to help hackers...hack. Good and bad hacks will always be spread around (like herpes).

Azazel
June 2nd, 2013, 11:52 PM
But Pokecheck let people with no experience get their hacks to their game with ease. That's all I'm saying. Not that there wasn't hacking, but that it made it easier for people to do it, especially with how prominent the whole site has become in the Pokemon Community in general.

twistedpuppy
June 6th, 2013, 01:34 PM
It used to be that people who had no experience in hacking just used an AR (bad hacks). The "better" hacks were made by people who already had the resources to distribute pkm files. Pokécheck does give hackers without resources the means to distribute, but Pokécheck's role isn't as damaging as pokegts is.

Gonzo
June 6th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Also, your arguments, Necrum, miss the most important things:

1. Pokecheck was made as a site for checking legality and sharing legit Pokemon. Hacks are minority. Pokecheck adds the ribbon to protect Pokemon from being redistributed on GTS, so it allows you to use it on your own, except official tourneys where judges know that ribbon indicates hacking. So basically, for your collection/dex filler/breeding parent or utility Pokemon (specific nature Synchronizer or specific gender and gender ratio Cute Charmer for RNG) those Pokemon are viable. Also, you can use them in WiFi battles, whether Random or via FC system because battle videos of those Pokemon aren't blocked when you're trying to upload them. It's just useless when you want to trade it and/or want to use it at official events.

2. The biggest thing that you're trying to skip is that Pokecheck does not provide any hacking tools on the site or for download.

3. I don't know the policy on not removing hacks from Pokecheck, but the user is fully acknowledged, because legality analysis of any public Pokemon is showed within its details. Also, before Genesect, Meloetta and Keldeo were released when you were trying to get a clone of obviously hacked copies of them, the site warned you that you'll get temporarily banned from Dream World for having those Pokemon's Dex entries.

Everything has its flaws and dark sides, but that's when your brain comes in to use given tools wisely.

I re-read my post (#11) I made more than one year ago about Pokecheck and I must say nothing changed, really, lol.

Absol
June 6th, 2013, 02:54 PM
In my opinion, I think Pokecheck does take away a lot of trading, especially for us breeders. Instead of trading with others to get the parents we need we go to Pokecheck and download the parents we need. Although I generally try to avoid Pokecheck and find the parents I need from traders here on PC, it's still too easy to just go to Pokecheck and download the Pokemon instantly. But Pokecheck is also a very good resource for those of us who have no other way of checking a Pokemon's legitimacy and can be used for cloning Pokemon with the OT you have registered for those who don't have any other means of doing so. So I guess Pokecheck is both bad and good for trading, it just depends on how you look at it.

Azazel
June 6th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Gonzo, I don't know why you're fighting me, I'm not trying to make any sort of case against Pokecheck, just commenting on the effects it has on people's ability to hack. I'm not arguing or trying to make some point. Sure, yes it adds a ribbon, but if someone sends a hack to their game with Pokecheck, and then trades it, the other person won't see that til they receive it, so really that only helps on GTS. What I specifically meant, was that if a PKM file is hacked using your OT info, you can use Pokecheck to send that hack without a Ribbon even, as long as the OT is registered. I love Pokecheck, but there is still people who exploit it for their own gain. It has both positive, and negative effects as I said in my first post here.

Gonzo
June 7th, 2013, 08:13 AM
I'm not fighting you, whatsoever. I just found your post being pretty false and misleading so I wanted to clear things up.

and then trades it, the other person won't see that til they receive it
During the final selection of Pokemon, you can view its summary and its Ribbons.

What I specifically meant, was that if a PKM file is hacked using your OT info, you can use Pokecheck to send that hack without a Ribbon even, as long as the OT is registered.
You can protect your Pokemon (so in this case, a hack with your OT, ID and SID) from being uploaded as public if you've registered your file, so I don't think it's even a tiny problem. The only person who'd be able to use the hack would be hacker himself.

Pretty much everyone said it has good and bad sides, but -- no offense -- you're exaggerating the cons of it.

Azazel
June 7th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I didn't mean a hacker hacking your OT, I meant if you were a hacker, and you hacked a mon to have your OT, you can use Pokecheck to import that hack without a ribbon. This is all I've been trying to get at really.

Maybe I did exaggerate a bit on some of the other points, but I think there are still some real problems with Pokecheck. Either way, I do believe the Pros outweigh the Cons.

Call me Gamma
June 7th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I think Pokecheck, like any other outside influence on the game, will always represent a struggle for power between hackers and those trying to make sure they weren't victims of those hackers. Ultimately, it's a resource that allows people to create fakes and make them look legal. Working hard to breed perfect pokemon also flies out the window when you can just create the parents you need.

I guess I'm just a purist when it comes to all of this. The game was never meant to be played with the use of pokecheck, AR, or RNG. I think anything outside of the game cart itself is a detriment to the way the game is meant to be played. I've been playing pokemon for almost 15 years and will always prefer trading for the pokemon I need. Pokecheck takes the first pokemon movie and makes it a horrifying reality.

In closing, I wish Nintendo was more adamant about preventing these outside influences. Of course with 6th Gen on the horizon we may see a round turn on that.

~cleaskulty~
June 7th, 2013, 09:34 AM
The legality checks as well as the ability to check EVs, IVs, and your SID without the use of Action Replay is great.

I don't agree with the constant download of .pkm files, however. Using Pokemon that have already been trained with perfect movesets, IV's, EV's, and natures really takes the fun and challenge out of Pokemon. But then again, people who do that aren't really affecting me personally, so it's none of my business. :P

Griffinbane
June 7th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Nintendo can't prevent stuff like ARs from editing and messing around with their games. There was this article I read on Wikipedia (don't use Wiki as a source for your papers, kids) about how Nintendo sued the makers of hacking devices in order to prevent those makers from making profit off Nintendo games. Nintendo lost and had to pay this massive fee to the hacking device makers and since then, stuff like this has been running around rampant. Mind, this is only stuff like GameSharks and Action Replays. I don't think Nintendo has a case at all when it comes to something like Pokecheck unless Pokecheck makes profit off it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Galoob_Toys,_Inc._v._Nintendo_of_America,_Inc.

Absol
June 7th, 2013, 01:26 PM
I think Pokecheck, like any other outside influence on the game, will always represent a struggle for power between hackers and those trying to make sure they weren't victims of those hackers. Ultimately, it's a resource that allows people to create fakes and make them look legal. Working hard to breed perfect pokemon also flies out the window when you can just create the parents you need.

I guess I'm just a purist when it comes to all of this. The game was never meant to be played with the use of pokecheck, AR, or RNG. I think anything outside of the game cart itself is a detriment to the way the game is meant to be played.
Just wanted to point out something here. RNG = Random Number Generator and this is what generates the nature, IVs, ability, etc. of every Pokemon you'll ever encounter. RNG Abuse is manipulating the RNG to receive the exact Pokemon you want. RNG occurs within the game itself without any use of external devices.
The legality checks as well as the ability to check EVs, IVs, and your SID without the use of Action Replay is great.

I don't agree with the constant download of .pkm files, however. Using Pokemon that have already been trained with perfect movesets, IV's, EV's, and natures really takes the fun and challenge out of Pokemon. But then again, people who do that aren't really affecting me personally, so it's none of my business. :P
Yes, being able to check for all that is very handy especially when you're into competitive battling. I also don't agree with the download of .pkm files because then you can download it and use another fake GTS server to get the Pokemon without the ribbon. Although, this is also handy when it's your own Pokemon and you have no other way of getting the Pokemon onto your game cause something happened to your save file :(

Call me Gamma
June 7th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Just wanted to point out something here. RNG = Random Number Generator and this is what generates the nature, IVs, ability, etc. of every Pokemon you'll ever encounter. RNG Abuse is manipulating the RNG to receive the exact Pokemon you want. RNG occurs within the game itself without any use of external devices.

Technically there are no external "devices", but there is software used to tell you what frame to look for and such. Without that external assistance, you would have no way of knowing what frame would produce the desired effect. Yes, the algorithm is found in the game, but RNG is essentially backdooring that algorithm and thus playing the game in a way not intended by Nintendo. This cheapens the experience and reward of collecting shiny pokemon for example by making the act of collecting them far easier than intended.

EDIT: @Mac: My apologies. I was simply defending my honor

Cordelia
June 7th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Guys, let's not argue the legality of RNG in this topic. This topic is about Pokecheck.org and how it's affected trading -- not is RNG cheating or not. If you want to start that topic, go ahead.

Scipion
November 19th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Hello I got a pokemon with a small pink head close to his name, and I'm seeing it from the back when I do "resume". What does it mean ?

King Zelos
December 10th, 2013, 02:05 PM
What is Pokecheck? Some of you said it lets you download Pokemon...? How does that even work?

TwilightBlade
December 10th, 2013, 02:17 PM
What is Pokecheck? Some of you said it lets you download Pokemon...? How does that even work?

Pokecheck.org allows you to download/upload Pokemon from the website when you change the DNS settings in your console's wifi settings to Pokecheck.org's DNS settings. Once you connect to the GTS in-game, you're actually connecting to the website.

It's caused me to hold off on some trades because Pokecheck.org is easily accessible. In the grand scheme of things, I would rather trade with my friends and collect their Pokemon rather than download freebies and breed them; I didn't buy the Pokemon games to go play single-player.

King Zelos
December 10th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Pokecheck.org allows you to download/upload Pokemon from the website when you change the DNS settings in your console's wifi settings to Pokecheck.org's DNS settings. Once you connect to the GTS in-game, you're actually connecting to the website.

It's caused me to hold off on some trades because Pokecheck.org is easily accessible. In the grand scheme of things, I would rather trade with my friends and collect their Pokemon rather than download freebies and breed them; I didn't buy the Pokemon games to go play single-player.

Hmmmm. Sounds rather dangerous, no? I'd imagine you could easily catch some type of bug/virus that can corrupt your save data or crash your game. You're right, it kinda does defeat the purpose of the game. Which was mainly built around trading with friends or meeting new people to trade with. Has this site been approved by Nintendo? Or does it not matter since it's not breaking any license agreements?

Absol
December 10th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Pokecheck.org is safe to use and there is no viruses associated with it. While it does affect trade negatively there is some good to it. One being you only need one DS to transfer from Gen 4 to Gen 5. Not everyone can afford two DSes so this helps them be able to offer more to trade to others. Also, being able to hack check Pokemon with it is nice and is easily accessible by anyone. Yes there is negative things about Pokecheck but there is good too about it.

tabor62
December 10th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Hmmmm. Sounds rather dangerous, no? I'd imagine you could easily catch some type of bug/virus that can corrupt your save data or crash your game. You're right, it kinda does defeat the purpose of the game. Which was mainly built around trading with friends or meeting new people to trade with. Has this site been approved by Nintendo? Or does it not matter since it's not breaking any license agreements?

tl;dr but I hope this makes sense.

Not really, DS games aren't able to experience that kind of problem. I can't exactly explain why as I'm not a tech whiz, but DS games can't receive viruses like computers and phones can. While you can download glitchy looking Pokemon, they can't necessarily corrupt your save file. In addition, you download glitchy Pokemon by your own choice as the site has something called a Legality Analysis which outlines things like the trash bytes contained in the name of the Pokemon and the OT and also other hidden variables that can be used to identify its legality.

But in short, no, you cannot get a virus of any sort, but yes, you can download glitch Pokemon which I assume can turn into Bad Eggs in your save.

Also while it does defeat the whole original purpose Satoshi Tajiri intended Pokemon for, there are positive uses. As EV has mentioned, you can use it to transfer Pokemon from Gen IV to Gen V with only one DS which is a good thing for people who do not own a second one. Another benefit being hack checking, as I've mentioned, Pokecheck can identify hidden variables that point out its legality.

Other benefits being able to check your Pokemon's exact IVs, a way to catalog your Pokemon, keep back ups in case you misplace your game. Dunno if I can name anymore than that at the moment.

And it hasn't been approved by Nintendo for various reasons. One probably being that there are some people who do indeed use it for cheating and thus spoiling the point of the game. But I'd imagine it does follow fair use in some way as it doesn't affect sales of the game from what I know and it the owners and creators don't use it for making money either.