• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New "Wild <Pokémon> Appeared" messages

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
I'm wondering if, for certain wild encounters, I can define a different "Wild <Pokémon> Appeared!" message. Like, if I encounter a Magikarp, and instead of "Wild Magikarp appeared!" I wanted it to say "The godly Magikarp appeared!", how would I go about that without changing the original "Wild <Pokémon> appeared!" message?

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
Go to PokeBattle_Battle and scroll down to line 593. You'll see:

Code:
        pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("Wild {1} appeared!",wildpoke.name))

Replace that with:

Code:
        if wildpoke.name=="Bulbasaur"
          pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("The godly {1} appeared!",wildpoke.name))
          else
        end

Replace Bulbasaur with whatever Pokémon you want, and "The godly {1} appeared!" with whatever you want.

Awkward Squirtle

,@,e .ºoO
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2016
Don't check against the Pokémon's nickname, check against its species (nickname will break if the game is translated, for example). So:
Code:
should be
Code:
if wildpoke.species==PBSpecies::BULBASAUR
Otherwise, it's perfect. If you plan on having this for several species, you could use a case statement instead:
Code:
case wildpoke.species
when PBSpecies::BULBASAUR
#stuff
when PBSpecies::IVYSAUR
#different stuff
else
#standard stuff
end

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
Don't check against the Pokémon's nickname, check against its species (nickname will break if the game is translated, for example). So:
Code:
should be
Code:
if wildpoke.species==PBSpecies::BULBASAUR
Otherwise, it's perfect. If you plan on having this for several species, you could use a case statement instead:
Code:
case wildpoke.species
when PBSpecies::BULBASAUR
#stuff
when PBSpecies::IVYSAUR
#different stuff
else
#standard stuff
end

Ah, right. Never thought of that. Thanks for pointing that out!

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
You may want to use a switch aswell... Because all wild Pokemon that are Magikarp will have that little phrase too, unless that's what you want

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
I was using it for legendaries, mainly, because in B/W, when you encounter a legendary like Reshi/Zek it says "Reshiram appeared!" instead "A wild Reshiram appeared!", probably because there's only one Reshiram in Unova so it's better to display that, iunno.

pokemonmasteraaron

The blind Pokémon Master!
Years
Just curious, I know this isn't my thread, but it seems pointless to create another one, could you use this method to change the wild battle message?
when $game_variables[100]=5
pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("The mighty {1} appeared!",wildpoke.name))
else
end
Just wondering.
If that works, I assume
when $game_switches[42] = true
also should those be == or just = like I have it?

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
Just curious, I know this isn't my thread, but it seems pointless to create another one, could you use this method to change the wild battle message?
when $game_variables[100]=5
pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("The mighty {1} appeared!",wildpoke.name))
else
end
Just wondering.
If that works, I assume
when $game_switches[42] = true
also should those be == or just = like I have it?
'==' for comparison
'=' for attribution
So is '=='. And isn't 'when' but 'if'.
I prefer to use 'if pbGet(100)==5' rather that 'if $game_variables[100]==5'
The switch thing works too, but for true or false (boolean) you can use 'if $game_switches[42]' rather that 'if $game_switches[42]==true'. If you want 'if $game_switches[42]==false' just use 'if !$game_switches[42]'.

Back