PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] The effectiveness of earlier generation Pokemon in gen V.

Deithien
May 18th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Now that we have so many Pokemon to choose from I'm curious as to how many people still use earlier generation Pokemon. I definitely have some favorites that I plan to acquire (alakazam, typhlosion, charizard, tyranitar, etc.) And some that I'll have no problems living without (spinda.... Omg..). Also if you DO use previous generation Pokemon im curious as to your reasoning behind it. Is it because youve grown attached to it after training them in other games, or because of their stats and typing, or simply cause of its sprite.

ShadowStriatonTriad
May 18th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I'm only into Generation 5, Generation 2, and Generation 1 Pokemon. I still use Generation 2 and Generation 1 Pokemon, but I don't like to use them in newer Pokemon video games (in example, Pokemon Black 2/White 2 will include Pokemon from previous Generations.) I am excited that I've seen Arcanine and Eevee in the promos; but besides those, I would have preferred previous legendary Pokemon such as Arcticuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Lugia; or even just Pokemon from Generation 1 & 2 like Vulpix, Xatu, Noctowl, etc etc instead of Riolu.

Deithien
May 18th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Do you choose not to use them because of the fact they have to be traded into the game or is it for some other reason (stats sprites etc.)

Forever
May 18th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Even post game I never used them. I felt like they weren't really a part of Unova, and I didn't really want to include them in a brand new generation. They just seemed like extras thrown in there to expand the region. Sure I caught them but other than the ones in Dream World I don't really have much past generation Pokemon. In fact, there was a point even months later where I just hadn't caught any from other regions. XD; Didn't want to spoil my dexxxx.

Good thread btw. :3

Jak
May 18th, 2012, 11:14 PM
I got burnt out on most Unova Pokemon after my Hall of Fame challenge. So I often have older Pokemon in my BW playthroughs cause I just don't feel like raising another -insert Unova Pokemon here- but there are a few exceptions. I also don't like having the same team twice, and since only Unova Pokemon are obtainable within BW, it's a bit restricting, like in Gen I. But at least it had a reason for being that way, unlike BW. Thank goodness for trading, right?

tj4bigred
May 18th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Once I had raised up my Unova Pokemons to fairly high levels and completely the Pokedex, I will admit I cast most of them aside for my favorites like Breloom and Salamence. However there are some Unova Pokemon I absolutely love like Volcarona, Hydreigon, Reshiram, Victini, and Scraggy! So I still use those fairly often. :3

Mr Cat Dog
May 19th, 2012, 05:04 AM
After defeating N/Ghestis, I tried to make the post-game a bit more interesting by making three different teams. The first one, I called 'Alpha Team', and was comprised of what I thought were the best Pokemon I could have found in Unova irrespective of what generation they came from. In that team, three were Gen V, one was Gen I, another was gen II and the final critter was Gen IV. Had there been more pre-Gen V Pokemon available, the number of Gen V critters in the Alpha Team probably would have been lowered accordingly to make way for older Pokemon.

Kenshin5
May 19th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I don't really like using older generation pokemon, since I have already used them multiple times throughout the years anyways. Not to mention even if generations offer multiple generations of pokemon in that region I like to use the newer pokemon regardless. Post game I am content using whatever though.

Jellicent♀
May 19th, 2012, 01:27 PM
The only Pokemon I really use from the previous generations in my White are Roserade and Gyarados, and that's because they're in my top six favorite Pokemon. Really, my entire list of favorite Pokemon consists of nothing BUT Unovan Pokemon. They're just really amazing, and in my opinion, the other generations are somewhat lacking when compared to this one. :x
I mean I'll use other stuff like Mismagius, Milotic, and such, but only if they're pretty or super adorable. :x

Deithien
May 19th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Well I finally ended my playthrough of black and the only early generation Pokemon on my team was tyranitar. The post game is getting pretty lame and I havent really grown attached to anything from this generation yet. Id like to train earlier gen Pokemon (gen 3 and gen 1) but im just too lazy to go through it all over. Those Pokemon not being available in the current gen kinda takes away from the series imo

Infernova
May 20th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Actually I was glad to finally migrate my SS pokemon over to my white game when I beat the champion. Setting up your team is like learning how to ride a bike. You have to learn how to use it. Start with a completely different team, and you might not have a "feel" for it yet. Infernape is my favorite pokemon obviously. I was happy to migrate him over and shake Unova to it's core. Some Unova pokemon are just a little too exotic for my liking. Some are awesome though too. Like Bisharp.

Deithien
May 20th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I do agree though that unova had a pretty good selection of Pokemon. Even some with crazy stats and typing. But maybe its because im getting older and sentimental/hardheaded but ill stick with Gens 1-3 as far as the majority of my team.

Killjoy
May 20th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I tend to use a mix of all 5 generations. My main team is Haxorus, Hydragon, Elektrose, Aggron, Kingdra, and Charazard, so I'm just missing 4th in that.

(sp?)

Deithien
May 21st, 2012, 09:26 AM
I like that idea. I wouldn't be able to pick just one per generation though. Maybe two from 1 two from 3 and two from 5 because its "current".

Kouzan
May 21st, 2012, 11:36 AM
I don't really used older Pokemon in White mainly cause I found some Gen 5 Pokemon that I completely enjoy and they've stuck on the time. Every once in a while I have older Pokemon but mainly for training. Though my main team has only gen 5 Pokemon.

chella182
June 9th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I was traded a Charmander fairly early on in the game (about when I'd just gotten by 3rd badge), and I raised it up to a Charizard, which has been a very valuable member of my team. Particularly since it gains 1.7x EXP because (I believe) it was traded to me (in the UK) from the US.

I also have a Tropius for some reason (I know I traded for it obviously, but I'm not sure why or who from!) that I used briefly, but not a lot. I seemed to prefer my Maractus as my Grass-type and my Unfezant as my Flying-type.

I have a few other Lv.1 things like Machop, Squirtle, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip and Absol in my boxes, but I've never even touched them.

Oh, and I got that Darkrai event as well, but again, it's boxed and I've never used it.

Magmaruby and Aquasapphire
June 11th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I used pokemon of the previous generation because I found of the Unova Pokemon to be quite boring to be honest...plus it was tiring to see so many new ones at once, I wish they had mixed them up...
Plus I like better the old Pokemon like Salamence, Metagross, Garchomp, Empoleon, Blaziken, etc.

Xebelleon
June 12th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I like better the old Pokemon like Salamence, Metagross, Garchomp, Empoleon, Blaziken, etc.

This in so many ways. The Unova birds are awful other than Swanna. Starters are also lesser than their peers. Empoleon, Swampert, Venusaur, Sceptile, Infernape, Typhlosion and Blastoise are much better. Thinking that it may well just be the Dark and Bug types that aren't completely outclassed by something older...

Keiran
June 12th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I make it a point to use as diverse a selection of Pokemon that I can, especially in normal game play. Competitively I use a lot of older Pokemon, as well, in fact my most used team consists of dreamworld Ninetales, Venusaur, Charizard and Dragonite. One of my many favorite funsies Pokemon to use lately is dreamworld Golduck.

I don't really care about what generation a Pokemon is from, I use em all.

Forever
June 13th, 2012, 08:48 PM
This in so many ways. The Unova birds are awful other than Swanna. Starters are also lesser than their peers. Empoleon, Swampert, Venusaur, Sceptile, Infernape, Typhlosion and Blastoise are much better. Thinking that it may well just be the Dark and Bug types that aren't completely outclassed by something older...

For me it's different. I didn't want the older Pokemon because I've spent so much time with them, and while some Unova Pokemon are in fact worse, it's the change that made me really want to start all new and not bring back the older Pokemon. :3

mac098
June 14th, 2012, 11:53 AM
My whole team is currently made up of pokemon from I-IV. oh, yeah the only Gen V is Hydreigon because has awesome stats and is a tank in my team. Otherwise I only use the older Gens because their pokemon were better in everyway. This Generations pokemon are the worst of them all

Nolafus
July 8th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Pokemon black was my first Pokemon game I ever played and I still use a cloyster on my team. Cloyster's moves and one of it's abilities make it a deadly Pokemon to battle against. Use shell smash at least once and it becomes very fast with a super high attack for a move such as icicle spear. If cloyster has the skill link ability, icicle spear will hit 5 times every time! I mainly use cloyster as my lead and it has destroyed entire parties so yah, 1st generation Pokemon are still useful.

Altairis
July 8th, 2012, 09:15 PM
I never caught any of the previous generation Pokemon in Unova. Postgame, if I were to use any past generations I would transfer them from old games. I would transfer my old teams to Black and then restart my old games. C:

Maybe because I didn't thoroughly explore the postgame areas, but I didn't really like most of the Pokemon there. Or maybe just a few Pokemon were really common, because I didn't really see a lot of variety.

Vader
July 30th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Just because the older generations are just that, old, doesn't mean they aren't effective. Plenty of Pokemon, like Starmie, Gengar, Tyranitar, etc, are lethal in the right hands. I use older ones for that reason, and because I like them. I have more favorites in older generations anyway.

Galdr
July 30th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Also if you DO use previous generation Pokemon im curious as to your reasoning behind it. Is it because youve grown attached to it after training them in other games, or because of their stats and typing, or simply cause of its sprite.

As soon as I was able to migrate, I did. While I do like most of the Unova Pokemon, I really couldn't live without my Infernape, Pikachu and Leafeon. (or even raising new ones) You could say I've grown attached to the previous gen Pokemon, namely because they grew on me.

But, I really wish they'd put some thought into the sprites; I loved the Gen 4 sprites of all the Pokemon, including some Johto Pokemon. Some got recycled, like Typhlosion. I really hated its DPPt sprite. They should have kept it's HGSS sprite and animated that. Leafeon should've had its PtHGSS sprite; same with Glaceon. Raichu's looks pretty dumb to me. However, even though majority of the older gen Pokemon's sprites look atrocious in my opinion, I can't live without them.

The Pokemon I chose to migrate personally was my Lopunny, Infernape, Pikachu, Leafeon, and some others that I can't remember--oh my Lucario. Yes, definitely. Spinda, I love them Spindas. <3 And I just remembered; I needed my Charizard, too. She's just awesome and I think I overused her in too many games. For Colosseum, XD, FireRed, Diamond and now Black. Lol.

Dmatt
July 31st, 2012, 10:14 AM
I always train pokemon that I love, and I love for them to be together :p so, I migrated from Pearl, Platinum and SoulSilver, to their new Black home, and that's pretty cool, they blend in well with my new babies :)

UberUmbreon
August 11th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Umbreon was the best choice ever... EVER. It was so defensive to the point where if it got a crit on it or a super eff on it, it wouldn't even quarter its hitpoints.

It even got better to the point where it learned confuse ray and some other status effects.

Red99
August 11th, 2012, 04:33 PM
When I discover I like a pokemon, I keep it forever! I'm transferring my Pokemon from Heart Gold to Black 2 when I get it.

Satoshi Ookami
August 12th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Yeah, I must say older Pokémon got some new interesting additions that make them more usable.
I used Lucario and Espeon in my gameplay of White 2.
The fact that Signal Beam and Shadow Ball were made special was a huge profit for Espeon and now it can deflect lot of its weaknesses.
After story I used Dragonite and Umbreon.
I believe older generations finally got some use in IV and V gens =)

Zupplu
August 12th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I only used 5th gen on my play through of Black, mainly because I wanted to use Pokemon that I had never used. If I played again (can't because all my Pokemon are on my Black save) I would defently use other Gen Pokemon aswell as Gen V Pokes.

Monasti
August 12th, 2012, 08:12 AM
As soon as I finished the main story, I immediately swapped out my Darmanitan, Sawk and Zebstrika for what, in my opinion, are better pokemon from other generations. My Charizard from Leaf Green, my Electivire from Heart Gold, and a Lucario I got off of GTS.

It's the first time I've ever used other gen pokemon post game, and I must say, it's much better than using only Gen V pokemon. Plus the fact all of them get boosted Experience so they level up super fast :)

Bourne-mouth
August 18th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Majority of my entire team (and box) are all filled with Gen I-IV Pokemon, with the exception of Volcarona and Hydreigon. Truth to be told, I hated the idea of having entirely new Pokemon everywhere. I can't decide which one I should use. That's why I migrate/transfer Pokemon from my HG game right after I get the national dex.

That and the fact that Gen V was my least favourite, because I got hooked onto Gens I-IV real quick.

Kungfumidget
August 19th, 2012, 01:03 AM
I straight away when starting my pokemon white traded a starly from my platinum game because I really didnt like unfezant which is the equivalent of staraptor/pidgeot, I just like having staraptor with brave bird so yeh.

venomjack
August 19th, 2012, 02:02 AM
I usually have pokemon from the first and second generations filling up half of my team the rest are fifth gen