PDA

View Full Version : Fan Games on Mac OS X

Renyui!
May 20th, 2012, 02:09 AM
So I've been a lurker of this particular part of PC for some time, and since a few weeks ago I bought a MacBook Pro, I've been wanting to get into game making, but I think I'm restricted by my OS. Is there some kind of dev kit I can use for Pokemon games, or some way to get RMXP for Mac, even though it is XP?

khkramer
May 20th, 2012, 03:12 AM
If you use wine you should be able to use RPG Maker.

stranger
June 8th, 2012, 05:10 AM
At the moment the only real way of doing it is dual-booting if you wish to use RMXP. But this is in the wrong section so I'm moving it to the Game Development section.

Moved.

DaSpirit
June 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Well, if you already know how to program, then you could always use C++ and combine it with SDL, but there is no engine for it.

I know Mac has it's own "C" language, Objective C. It might be a little too hard if you don't know how to program at all, but it's the only thing I know you can use. You can always use a cross platform interpreted language, Java, HTML5 (canvas) or Flash. Again, there is no engine for any of those.

Unknown#
June 13th, 2012, 01:57 PM
If you wanted, you could run Windows on your Mac using bootcamp and then you could run the programs on that.

khkramer
June 14th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Also, why would you get a macbook pro if you wanted to make games?

Dying Light
June 14th, 2012, 12:12 PM
khkramer, exactly.

Just use WineHQ, it's not hard to setup.

DarkDoom3000
June 14th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Wine works decently enough; im running RPGmaker2003 through it on linux right now.
only problem is that theres no music.

Cilerba
June 20th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I may be a bit late on this thread but you could always purchase Parallels Desktop and install Windows through it so that you can run both OS X and Windows at the same time. It supports dragging and dropping files from each OS. I highly recommend using that.