• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

About vBulletin's Maintenance Procedures

poke22

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2005
huh :\ :\ :\ you sur make wried posts that i dont understand :(

Cool Cr@cker

I am now Chrono Cr@cker
Years
Satoshi-kun said:
So I'll run you all through the maintenance checks done all around the Pok?mon Community!

So what am I "sacrificing" with the methods I am using right now? You guessed right! I'm using the methods on my own old forum, mForums! So anything, just anything, that you see here, is nothing done with PC.

Update Forums:
This feature will update the information for each forum including: last post info, thread count, and post count. This may need to be done after mass moving / pruning threads and posts.

Basically, this is supposed to change all the counters you see on the forum display, thread display, and all the other counts of the listings.

Update User Titles:
This will go through every user on your forums and determine their correct user title. This may need to be done after changing your user title ladder.

The default user titles we have will change by this. It only needs to be done when we change the number of posts required for user titles.

Update User Names:
This will update user names everywhere they occur on your forums. This may need to be done after changing a user's name in the Admin CP.

When I merged my accounts, some threads still had my old name as the last poster. This function fixes it all.

Update Post Counts:
This will update the number of posts for each user by counting each user's posts in the database. If you have artificially inflated / deflated a user's post count by editing their profile in the Admin CP then this will reset it to its true value.

This would be that infamous function that "removed posts" from PC users' post counts. True to the description, if I were to up or lower my post count, this would make a post recount for all users and make it true. Also, if we mass-moved or moved threads into areas that were "no-post count" zones, then this maintenance function would also calculate those and change post counts of users.

Fix broken user profiles:
Incomplete profiles are usually the result of hacks making user insertions from outside of vBulletin. Run this to fix any broken profiles.

We rarely get a hack that does this stuff, so... it's not applicable.

Rebuild Forum Information:
This feature will update your forum counters and check for orphan moderators. This may need to be run after managing your forums.

This will get rid of those "ghost" counters, posts done that don't exist in that forum anymore.

Rebuild Thread Information:
This feature will update your thread counters including: last post info, reply count, view count, etc. You may need to run this after moving / pruning threads and posts.

Self-explanatory.

Rebuild Similar Threads:
This feature will run a similar thread search for all threads on your forums. To show similar threads you need to enable the option in your vBulletin options. If you want your forums to search for similar threads when a new thread is posted (rather than having to update this counter later) then you need to enable the option on this page.

Sometimes, our "Similar Threads" feature shows really irrelevant threads, or when new ones come in, vBulletin misses them and they don't appear. This function will show them again.

Rebuild Search Index:
This needs to be done after changing the max / min search word length in your vBulletin options.

Our Maximum and Minimum don't change much, so there's not really anything to it.

Rebuild Statistics:
This feature rebuilds the information that is dislplayed on your Statistics page.

This rebuilds the statistics which administrators, praetors, and staff administrators can see.

Rebuild Post Cache:
vBulletin doesn't parse vB code in posts every time they are displayed. Instead the parsed posts are saved in the "post_parsed" table. In this way vBulletin reduces the processing time needed to display a post. Update this counter to rebuild the parsed posts. This needs to be done after changing vB codes, posting allowances (like HTML code), etc.

Of course, it rarely has problems unless you dramatically change your post's stuff.

Delete Duplicate Threads:
Sometimes duplicate threads are created during the posting process. Updating this counter will remove those duplicates.

It rarely happens, but when it does, this removes them.

Rebuild Styles:
Update this counter to rebuild your style structure.

This is when the admins create themes for PC and for maintenance, the structure is corrected.

Rebuild Attachment Thumbnails:
Rebuilding thumbnails is necessary after changing your thumbnail settings in your vBulletin options.

This could get rid of some attachments, or size them to work with our current settings. This also prevents attachment glitches.

Rebuild User Reputation:
You need to update this counter if you change the default reputation value in your vBulletin options.

All said, but it's administrator-applicable only.

Hmm..Jake are these all hacks, or features in VB that you have initiated.

I dont think my posts went done and are you implying some mods try to increase their posts in the Admin CP or they do it for some users.

~ CC

JKPichu

Banned
Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2006
Cool [email said:
Cr@cker]Hmm..Jake[/email] are these all hacks, or features in VB that you have initiated.

I dont think my posts went done and are you implying some mods try to increase their posts in the Admin CP or they do it for some users.

~ CC
You don't know anything about what you're talking about, do you?

It's all normal admin features.

Back