PDA

View Full Version : [B2/W2] [Spoiler]Move tutors

PlatinumDude
June 21st, 2012, 01:53 AM
According to Serebii, the move tutors are making a comeback. They are as follows:
-elemental punches (Fire/Thunder/Ice Punch)
-Gunk Shot
-Low Kick
-Dual Chop
-Seed Bomb
-Uproar
-Super Fang
-Iron Head
-Signal Beam
-Bounce
-Drill Run
-Bug Bite
-Covet

Like in Platinum, all of the moves listed above cost shards to teach.

Discuss! What are your thoughts of the current tutor lineup?

To answer it: I saw the elemental punches coming. It's also good to see some of the older Pt/HG/SS tutor moves back, like Bug Bite, Signal Beam and Seed Bomb. The shocker here (IMO) was Drill Run. I think GF included it because of its small level-up distribution.

Manila Luzon
June 21st, 2012, 01:55 AM
More announced;

Last Resort, Iron defense, Magnet Rise, Magic Coat, Block, Hyper Voice, Electroweb, Icy Wind, Iron Tail, Aqua Tail, Earth Power, Zen Headbutt, Foul Play, Superpower, Gravity, Dragon Pulse and Dark Pulse.

Blue Shards are needed. I'm glad that Superpower, Earth Power, etc are on there! <3 Competitive battling is going to be upgraded a bit.

PokeRaidenFighter350Z
June 21st, 2012, 03:24 AM
YES!!! They heard our appeals that we need these tutoring moves to return!! Now the Unova Pokemon movepool will DRAMATICALLY increase! I can't wait for the games to be released in the US this fall! But the new Gen V move such as Drill Run as a tutoring move? Best idea ever because it may serve as an alternative to Earthquake as this move does not hurt the ally/allies in Double/Triple battles, despite having less power and accuracy than Earthquake.

Jellicent♀
June 21st, 2012, 03:26 AM
Eeeeeeeeee~~ <333
I like, legit can't wait. This makes me so happy that they're fought back. Talking about kicking up the competitive field again!

vaporeon7
June 21st, 2012, 03:27 AM
It is very good to hear that move tutors have returned in B2/W2 with moves that were previously available. I hope moves like Stealth Rock and Giga Drain/Drain Punch become available as well.

Manila Luzon
June 21st, 2012, 03:33 AM
It is very good to hear that move tutors have returned in B2/W2 with moves that were previously available. I hope moves like Stealth Rock and Giga Drain/Drain Punch become available as well.

n o

Then everyone will have it again and everything will just be a mess! ):

PlatinumDude
June 21st, 2012, 03:59 AM
More tutor moves!
-Drain Punch
-Giga Drain
-Roost
-Sky Attack
-Role Play
-Heat Wave
-Pain Split
-Tailwind
-Knock Off
-Synthesis

My prayers have been answered! :D (Giga Drain, Drain Punch, Roost)

Manila Luzon
June 21st, 2012, 04:00 AM
POISON HEAL ROOST GLISCOR I'M NOT READY

potent445
June 21st, 2012, 04:12 AM
Im liking a lot of these, glad to see Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Giga Drain, Drain Punch and Roost back although Gliscor with Roost will be a pain (Providing he can learn it). Also Heat wave and Roost will be nice for people wanting to use Lightning Rod Zapdos (Now only if he got Hurricane for the ultimate rain abuser)

Forever
June 21st, 2012, 04:31 AM
As I said in CBC, I'm pleased by Superpower n_n Everything else is pretty good too. I like that they put them in. I never really paid much attention to move tutors in previous games, and it'll be nice to see them in the upcoming games!

Glaceon_
June 21st, 2012, 04:31 AM
It's nice to see that a lot of the moves are ones that make certain Pokemon more useful. For one, no doubt Lilligant will get a nice collection of these Move Tutor moves to bolster her move pool-- hopefully, she'll get access to Earth Power. Though I reckon a lot of people would scream at me saying "NO!" for how demonic she would become to Fire-types, with a couple Butterfly Dances under her crown... lol

I'm glad Steath Rocks, so far haven't made a return through the Tutors. I never liked the move, 'cause it just causes way too much damage to Pokemon with weaknesses to Rock-types. In my opinion, it needs to be nerfed if they plan on bringing it back as a TM or something. Traps are fine, but when a trap can completely decimate your Pokemon like that, its a little ridiculous.

The Elemental Punches have been in every Move Tutor list since the Move Tutors began, I believe. So they were a given. I'd have been surprised if they weren't the first to be brought up in this thread.

potent445
June 21st, 2012, 04:59 AM
Here's some more that were just announced
Magic Room, Wonder Room, Spite, Recycle, Trick, Stealth Rock, Endeavor, Skill Swap, Worry Seed, Gastro Acid, Outrage, Helping Hand, After You, Endeavor, Sleep Talk, Snatch.

Looks like SR has made a comback

PlatinumDude
June 21st, 2012, 05:04 AM
Here's some more that were just announced
Magic Room, Wonder Room, Spite, Recycle, Trick, Stealth Rock, Endeavor, Skill Swap, Worry Seed, Gastro Acid, Outrage, Helping Hand, After You, Endeavor, Sleep Talk, Snatch.

Looks like SR has made a comback

SR's back?! Awesome; I kind of saw that coming too; it saves me time of having to teach Turtwig Stealth Rock and Leech Seed in Gen IV, transfer it over then breed it with Ferroseed. And it's good to see Outrage, Trick and Sleep Talk come back too. I can't help but imagine DD MoxieMence sweep OU with impunity...

potent445
June 21st, 2012, 05:14 AM
Wow didnt notice Sleep Talk, good news for cofagrigus. DD Mence has definly got a boost now with aceess to DD, Outrage and Roost but I still dont see it overtaking Dnite.

Cid
June 21st, 2012, 05:18 AM
And so Stealth Rock is back. I didn't mind Stealth Rock in DPPt (not sure about BW since I only battle occasionally) but it can be a pain-in-the-neck if used against you. It nerfed a good amount of Pokémon solely on being Rock-weak. As shaky as I am with its return, I really didn't expect it to go otherwise. Better look at who gets what from now on, what with the compatibility problems of abilities and moves across generations being lessened.

As for the other moves, I'm happy with Roost and the draining moves. I love those.
Lastly, Lilligant has to benefit from the B2W2 move tutors! I command it.

Hikamaru
June 21st, 2012, 05:22 AM
I really love the move lineup... some of these moves had very little distribution until now.

So, the moves we have so far:
Gunk Shot
Ice Punch
Fire Punch
ThunderPunch
Low Kick
Dual Chop
Seed Bomb
Uproar
Super Fang
Iron Head
Signal Beam
Bounce
Drill Run
Bug Bite
Covet
Last Resort
Iron Defense
Magnet Rise
Magic Coat
Block
Hyper Voice
Electroweb
Icy Wind
Iron Tail
Aqua Tail
Earth Power
Zen Headbutt
Foul Play
Superpower
Gravity
Dragon Pulse
Dark Pulse
Bind
Snore
Heal Bell
Knock Off
Synthesis
Roost
Sky Attack
Role Play
Heat Wave
Giga Drain
Drain Punch
Pain Split
Tailwind
Magic Room
Wonder Room
Spite
Recycle
Trick
Stealth Rock
Endeavor
Skill Swap
Worry Seed
Gastro Acid
Outrage
Helping Hand
After You
Endeavor
Sleep Talk
Snatch

Wow, so many former TM moves among this set. This will really change competitive battling strategies.

The Elemental Punches are staples so they had to return.

With all the awesome moves in this set I'm gonna get all the shards I want so I can teach these awesome moves to my Pokemon!

Reshiram Man
June 21st, 2012, 05:22 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I love all these new move tutor moves, especially:
Fire/Thunder/Ice Punch
Dragon/Dark Pulse
Earth Power
Drain Punch
Giga Drain
Seed Bomb
Signal Beam
Iron Head
Superpower
Heat Wave
Sky Attack

Can't wait for the US release now.

Glaceon_
June 21st, 2012, 05:58 AM
I should really have seen that coming... xD; Oh well. Guess every team will now competitively be obligated to have an SR user, Rapid Spinner and Ghost-type Rest Talker as standard.

Though seriously, I'm a little curious to see which Pokemon will be able to learn these Move Tutor moves. In particular, what Pokemon will be able to learn Heat Wave, since if I recall, quite a few interesting Pokemon were capable of learning it in Gen. IV, such as Honchkrow and Zapdos. Perhaps Swoobat and Sigilyph will be two specific Pokemon that are likely to get access to it; likely along with Zoroark.

Xander Olivieri
June 21st, 2012, 06:59 AM
According to Serebii, the move tutors are making a comeback. They are as follows:
-elemental punches (Fire/Thunder/Ice Punch)
-Gunk Shot
-Low Kick
-Dual Chop
-Seed Bomb
-Uproar
-Super Fang
-Iron Head
-Signal Beam
-Bounce
-Drill Run
-Bug Bite
-Covet

Like in Platinum, all of the moves listed above cost shards to teach.

Discuss! What are your thoughts of the current tutor lineup?

To answer it: I saw the elemental punches coming. It's also good to see some of the older Pt/HG/SS tutor moves back, like Bug Bite, Signal Beam and Seed Bomb. The shocker here (IMO) was Drill Run. I think GF included it because of its small level-up distribution.

(@XanderO: if this breaks the rules, sorry about that)

Nope, you did the right thing cause we didn't have a discussion open for Move Tutors~

YES!!! They heard our appeals that we need these tutoring moves to return!! Now the Unova Pokemon movepool will DRAMATICALLY increase! I can't wait for the games to be released in the US this fall! But the new Gen V move such as Drill Run as a tutoring move? Best idea ever because it may serve as an alternative to Earthquake as this move does not hurt the ally/allies in Double/Triple battles, despite having less power and accuracy than Earthquake.

Tutors always appear in the "third" game so it was an expected feature they added.

I myself am a little disappointed Stealth Rock returned since its highly abusable. Although it being a Shard tutor is a good thing cause now its about even with its old TM version. There is a cost and depending on how easy it is to find shards (if its as hard as heart scales kill me now) Stealth Rock won't be too much of a major issue.

What I'm really excited to see is Dark Pulse...if Deino can learn it through Move tutor I will be breeding the hell out of mine for Earth Power and Dark Pulse ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Stormbringer
June 21st, 2012, 07:10 AM
Blue Shards are needed. I'm glad that Superpower, Earth Power, etc are on there! <3 Competitive battling is going to be upgraded a bit.

This, so much. Thank god they're having good move tutors in BW2. Makes breeding and battling sooooo much easier. :D

Aquarius1997
June 21st, 2012, 07:54 AM
I really wonder where all these shards will appear
DPP-underground
HG/SS- rock smashing rocks
We have neither underground or rock smash as a hm

Well looks like i need to stop being lazy and get in the competative field
(sigh :/)

Jellicent♀
June 21st, 2012, 08:05 AM
Man. The competitive field has just become much more dangerous now. I'm so excited that they brought back Drain Punch and Giga Drain! Now I don't have to breed to get my Conkeldurr to learn it!

Haseyo
June 21st, 2012, 08:09 AM
Wow, competitive battling totally flipped upside down. This is intense, and freakin' awesome!

I missed Giga Drain and Drain Punch so much. I hated how even though they buffed them, it lost thier TM status, so very few Pokemon had it :(

Xander Olivieri
June 21st, 2012, 08:55 AM
DPP-underground

They could have that guy give you some...the Treasure hunter near Undella Bay. You could also buy them in Black City like you could buy Heart Scales. Then they can throw them in with various wild Pokemon.

AdrianD
June 21st, 2012, 09:05 AM
I always liked the punches but I thought they should be 5 points stronger then given

chaos11011
June 21st, 2012, 09:10 AM
RestTalk Throh in NU? Wonderful!

Though, one thing I really hate is Bind :I

Gravity is amazing and Aqua Tail/Superpower/Earth Power/Dragon Pulse for Serperior, please? :3

Aquarius1997
June 21st, 2012, 09:20 AM
They could have that guy give you some...the Treasure hunter near Undella Bay. You could also buy them in Black City like you could buy Heart Scales. Then they can throw them in with various wild Pokemon.

This is probably the reason b2/w2 allowed the ability to switch between black city and white forest because white forest is obviously inferior to black city

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
June 21st, 2012, 09:36 AM
Awesome moves, this will definitely give a boost to Pokemon who need a movepool increase.
I'm happy with all the moves (especially Drain punch) but Stealth rock... darn it.

Glaceon_
June 21st, 2012, 09:41 AM
DPP-underground

One you missed; can't remember if it was Platinum or HG/SS, but there was one guy who would convert Star Pieces into one of each Shard. It was probably Platinum, with the Underground giving you a somewhat decent supply of Star Pieces and the Move Tutors requiring shards. Perhaps there will be someone who performs a similar role, or someone who will trade a Star Piece for one of each Shard.

As for Rock Smash, we have it as an infinite-use TM, instead-- perhaps in some places, rocks that can be smashed will show up, and on top of that, if the Star Piece trader is making a return, we've also got Challenge Rock, which gives you a Star Piece every day.

Xebelleon
June 21st, 2012, 09:42 AM
Here's to the hope that shards aren't Dream World only in the Cool Hole. Bad enough getting trolled by the Stubborn Sky & Stupid Sea. Now I gotta get trolled by After You as a Move Tutor move. What a dumb move in my opinion. After You. Really...

MegaKuriboh
June 21st, 2012, 10:09 AM
ICE PUNCH CONKELDURR.

FIRE PUNCH HAXORUS.

HECK. YES.

bwburke94
June 21st, 2012, 11:17 AM
Stealth Rock + DW abilities = massive tiering shifts.

vaporeon7
June 21st, 2012, 12:24 PM
...and with these move tutors the need for the 4th gens almost completely died.

I'm really curious as to who will be able to learn Drill Run. It would be an awesome move for Beedrill and now Seaking can own electric types. I'm just super pleased they included all the moves I wanted.

June 21st, 2012, 01:35 PM
...and with these move tutors the need for the 4th gens almost completely died.

I'm really curious as to who will be able to learn Drill Run. It would be an awesome move for Beedrill and now Seaking can own electric types. I'm just super pleased they included all the moves I wanted.
Imagine Dream world Seaking with Drill run...it's tier would go up...

Fire Punch Haxorus...that would be beast :D!

Alli
June 21st, 2012, 03:35 PM
THANK THE LORD ABOVE OMG. Now I can RNG things and give them my favorite moves (elemental punches) and don't have to learn 4th gen! <333 I am super excited! Plus Stealth Rock is a move tutor move. RUH ROH. >:)

potent445
June 21st, 2012, 03:43 PM
ICE PUNCH CONKELDURR.

FIRE PUNCH HAXORUS.

HECK. YES.

Fire punch Haxorus is amazing. Hey im Haxorus, I have 147 base attack, Dragon Dance and Sword Dance, stab Outrage and now have earthquake and fire punch for coverage.
I cant think of anything off the top of my head that counters this with one DD under its belt, Mold Breaker by passes Multiscale, Skarm would take huge amount of damage from fire punch. Heatran on Balloon could. I guess the best way is with priority and faster scarfed pokemon.

Another interesting option could be Drain Punch on Dnite. I know he learned in gen 4 but it was a pretty bad move then. It would give that fighting coverage that superpower provided in 4th gen but this time instead of stat drops he would get health back which could be seriouly good if you get back to Multiscale before they attack you.

Marilynasol
June 21st, 2012, 09:17 PM
Hey! Where's Avalanche during all of this? I need that for my Mudkip!

Seriously, unless you teach Avalanche as a Technical Machine to a male in Generation IV (and that's during the era when TMs were not reusable, and Avalanche was only available after defeating Candice or Pryce), transfer it to a Generation V game, then breed it, the only Pokemon who can know that move are the Vanillite family, the Jynx family, and, by extension, the Snorunt family. I don't know how well Avalanche fairs in the competitive sector of Pokemon, but I can only presume it might work well with tanks... I still love the move, and hate to not see it return! I wonder if there are any other past TMs that haven't returned as TMs or tutorable moves?

Xander Olivieri
June 21st, 2012, 09:23 PM
Hey! Where's Avalanche during all of this? I need that for my Mudkip!

Seriously, unless you teach Avalanche as a Technical Machine to a male in Generation IV (and that's during the era when TMs were not reusable, and Avalanche was only available after defeating Candice or Pryce), transfer it to a Generation V game, then breed it, the only Pokemon who can know that move are the Vanillite family, the Jynx family, and, by extension, the Snorunt family. I don't know how well Avalanche fairs in the competitive sector of Pokemon, but I can only presume it might work well with tanks... I still love the move, and hate to not see it return! I wonder if there are any other past TMs that haven't returned as TMs or tutorable moves?

TMs that are no longer TMs and did not become Tutors:
Focus Punch
Water Pulse
Bullet Seed
Shock Wave
Secret Power
Steel Wing
Brine
Endure
Silver Wind
Avalanche
Captivate
Natural Gift
Defog
Whirlpool
Rock Climb

PlatinumDude
June 21st, 2012, 09:26 PM
TMs that are no longer TMs and did not become Tutors:
Focus Punch
Water Pulse
Bullet Seed
Shock Wave
Secret Power
Steel Wing
Brine
Endure
Silver Wind
Avalanche
Captivate
Natural Gift
Defog
Whirlpool
Rock Climb

The only move I wanted to see in the tutors list is Focus Punch. A good amount of Gen V Pokemon seem capable of learning it, but GameFreak apparently didn't include it. I was pretty disappointed upon realizing that Focus Punch wasn't a tutor move.

And @Marilynasol: Pryce gives Hail, not Avalanche.

June 21st, 2012, 09:30 PM
Fire punch Haxorus is amazing. Hey im Haxorus, I have 147 base attack, Dragon Dance and Sword Dance, stab Outrage and now have earthquake and fire punch for coverage.
I cant think of anything off the top of my head that counters this with one DD under its belt, Mold Breaker by passes Multiscale, Skarm would take huge amount of damage from fire punch. Heatran on Balloon could. I guess the best way is with priority and faster scarfed pokemon.

Another interesting option could be Drain Punch on Dnite. I know he learned in gen 4 but it was a pretty bad move then. It would give that fighting coverage that superpower provided in 4th gen but this time instead of stat drops he would get health back which could be seriouly good if you get back to Multiscale before they attack you.
My guess is Dragonite will proably have Drain Punch still. Most of the previous gen Pokemon will most likely be able to get the moves they were able to get last gen though the move tutors of that gen.

Aquarius1997
June 21st, 2012, 09:41 PM
Its funny how only four move tutors could change the competitive field immensely. most pokemon would even have tier changes because of four men

WOW

June 21st, 2012, 09:44 PM
Its funny how only four move tutors could change the competitive field immensely. most pokemon would even have tier changes because of four men

WOW
Well it happened before in Gen IV. Move pools play a big part in how useful a Pokemon can be against various opponents and types perhaps even bigger than stats.

I wanted Focus Punch to return too but I guess the rest of the moves make up for the lack of ^_^

Haseyo
June 21st, 2012, 10:16 PM
Aww Shockwave was my decent electric move on many Pokemon during the adventure :( Jolteon is now completely out of the equation.

Interesting changes though.

June 22nd, 2012, 08:31 AM
It's quite interesting how they left out some of the moves that were in many generations either tm's or tutor moves themselves such as Shockwave. I guess they wanted to shake things up this time.

Aquarius1997
June 22nd, 2012, 10:04 AM
Yeah im kinda disappointed that shock wave and water pulse are gone ALL my electric or water types had those moves and its gonna feel weird not to see it

PlatinumDude
June 22nd, 2012, 04:30 PM
Move tutor compatibility! (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ak2hDRJIzJHbdGRvb01mMjVRS1RkVHg5bHRQcDVRbUE&toomany=true)

This may or may not be the full list, but this is what we have now.

PokeRaidenFighter350Z
June 22nd, 2012, 09:00 PM
This list...

This is outstanding!! Now I have to come up with a brand new army for BW2!

Cid
June 22nd, 2012, 10:57 PM
I guess Lilligant didn't get any coverage moves to back up its Quiver Dance. :(
Predictable, but disappointing all the same.

Forever
June 22nd, 2012, 11:11 PM
Move tutor compatibility! (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ak2hDRJIzJHbdGRvb01mMjVRS1RkVHg5bHRQcDVRbUE&toomany=true)

This may or may not be the full list, but this is what we have now.

1. Herdier specifically deserves Superpower.
2. Why would a thing like Heatran even "use" Bug Bite?
3. Gurdurr & Sawk: Amazing as always.
4. I'm glad Volcarona gets Roost since Morning Sun isn't always good in a game of weather ETC.
5. Tempted to use SR on Terrakion "just cause it's there".
6. Since Haxorus doesn't get Fire Punch, Superpower will definitely do n_n I WANTED THIS FOR LIKE, EVER.

That is all for now I think.

My fighting bias is kind of obvious in this post.

Xander Olivieri
June 23rd, 2012, 04:20 PM
Just to comment back on the shards for Move tutors, you can apparently find them in dust clouds while traveling in caves.

Pokebeach is where this info is from.

June 23rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
Superpower on Haxorus, that's some improvement right there (though not like it needed improvement).
Volcarona with roost, that's bound to make it's Quiver dance spam than attack strategy easier to actually carry out.

Haseyo
June 23rd, 2012, 07:11 PM
As for shards, I found a bunch in the desert area (where the sandstorm is).

Also, I can confirm the Red Shard move tutor (has mainly offensive moves, such as Ice Punch, Dual Chop, and Seed Bomb) is in Driftveil City. I just made it here, but haven't seen any others. Most moves are about 10 shards. I'm unsure how I had 13 by then, maybe he gave me 10 free ones.

Needless to say, my Huge Power Azumarill shouldn't have Ice Punch this early xD

Forever
June 23rd, 2012, 08:20 PM
Volcarona with roost, that's bound to make it's Quiver dance spam than attack strategy easier to actually carry out.

Now with Roost, just give it a Lum Berry and then you'll have no issues. It'll basically be unstoppable. Scary thought.

Jellicent♀
June 23rd, 2012, 08:39 PM
Good God, Volcarona will become a God in the metagame. D:

I'm excited Jellicent is getting Giga Drain. Nice alternative to Energy Ball for those using a Choice Specs Jelli.
Pain Split on Throh? That's...interesting. xD
Decent way to heal, I guess.

Oh, my, glob, Eelektross' new moves are amazing.

Aquarius1997
June 23rd, 2012, 08:48 PM
I knew it was too good to be true

22:30; Revive, Shards confirmed as Dream Radar Items. Swablu & Sigilyph as Pokémon

Seems like we only get multiple shards from the dream world or cheating of course

Forever
June 23rd, 2012, 08:49 PM

I'm excited Jellicent is getting Giga Drain. Nice alternative to Energy Ball for those using a Choice Specs Jelli.

Um considering most people think energy ball is a joke this probably won't help much :x But Giga Drain is always a good thing for recovery, so it works out lool.

And yeah, Throh is v defensive compared to Sawk so it makes sense.

Jellicent♀
June 23rd, 2012, 09:17 PM
Um considering most people think energy ball is a joke this probably won't help much :x But Giga Drain is always a good thing for recovery, so it works out lool.

And yeah, Throh is v defensive compared to Sawk so it makes sense.

Oui, I always used Ice Beam instead, but Giga is a great way for that particular set to heal finally.

I wish Keldeo got a little something better out of it, but unfortunately, its movepool isn't anything too beautiful. :c

I'm happy Gyarados has Iron Head again. <3
Useless competitively, but so fun to have. <3

Xander Olivieri
June 23rd, 2012, 09:44 PM
I knew it was too good to be true

22:30; Revive, Shards confirmed as Dream Radar Items. Swablu & Sigilyph as Pokémon

Seems like we only get multiple shards from the dream world or cheating of course

They are found in game too. You can get them from Dust Clouds like the Gems.

June 23rd, 2012, 10:30 PM

Than perhaps it's a good thing that they brought back stealth rock to trim it's wings.

Nice to see Electross getting some new moves it really needed them...it's BW moveset sucked.

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
July 10th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Signal Beam's one of my favourite moves so I'm very happy about that one, and the move tutors in general :)

Haseyo
July 10th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Ice Punch is my favorite because Ice Fang just doesn't cut it for those physical water types.