PDA

View Full Version : [Engine] Harvest Moon Tool Kit (HMTK)

KitsuneKouta
June 23rd, 2012, 09:46 PM
This project is currently RMXP only.

What is Harvest Moon?

Harvest Moon has been a relatively steady series of video games in terms of sales and popularity, with around 30 games (including some spin-offs) having been produced since the first game on the SNES in 1996. While each of the main titles in the series tries to improve on the last (though not always with equal success), the core gameplay mechanics have remained virtually the same as always. You plant crops, raise animals, and try to court one of a handful of eligible bachelors/bachelorettes. The games focus very much or rural life, usually with small towns and few people with just enough to be self-sufficient. It's probably THE most successful dating sim in North America (and possibly everywhere else that it has been released except Japan), and one of a very few farming sims (and of course, the most successful on video game consoles. Also, it may or may not be what inspired the infamous Farmville on Facebook. Regardless, Harvest Moon came first, and is much more appealing in my opinion).

There is also an entire spinoff series of games in the Harvest Moon universe called Rune Factory. Harvest Moon is one of a few very successful non-violent video games, but a more standard RPG experience was opted for in the form of Rune Factory. These games feature the same farming and dating elements that you find in Harvest Moon games, except there are also some dungeon-crawling elements added to the mix. If you get tired of laboring on the farm for cash, you can go fight monsters instead (or do both).

This starter kit is primarily targeted at the production of Harvest Moon games, but Rune Factory games are also quite possible with it. No built-in features of RMXP have been removed (some may have changed slightly), so it should be fairly compatible with a number of things (or with very minor changes), so you can import battle systems that others have created or just use what's built-in to RMXP. That is roughly all it takes to turn this Harvest Moon starter kit into a Rune Factory starter kit.

Please take a moment to read the "What You Can Do" section below, and check out the "Basic Tutorial."

Current Features:

-Growing crops
-Raising animals
-Carrying items, and giving them to people
-The shipping dude (he should automatically appear on your farm in the
evening and take your stuff, leaving you the money for it)
-Some common tools are functional (such as the hoe, watering can, seeds,
brush, milker, shears, etc).
-Some animations have been implemented (most lvl 1 tool animations).
-Data modules for common game data (for storing data about villagers,
animals, crops, items, etc. Designed to be expandable)
-A "Settings" script section for a number of common game settings
(credit goes to Maruno for this idea, which he added to Pokemon Essentials).
-Mining (both digging with the hoe and breaking rocks with the hammer
should work and randomly give you items)
-Fishing (a little buggy still)
-Graphical stamina bar (can be disabled in settings)
-Classic Harvest Moon time system (no day/night shading yet)
-A customizable databox which displays common game parameters when
debugging (only visible in debug mode, and can be disabled in settings)
-Seasonal tilesets
-Running
-Power Berries (currently only indicated by a pop up message, but they do
increase stamina as expected)
-Spawning sticks, rocks, stumps, weeds, and boulders on player's farm map
-Villager's face graphics appear when talking to them (can be disabled in
settings)
-Villagers can react to different circumstances with different text
(however, the text itself and the villagers have only partially been
implemented, and some circumstances are unaccounted for)
-The shipping bin
-Seasonal items in the mountain
-The infobox standard to HM games (includes current time, season, day, a
weather icon, and equipped item icon)
-Weather effects
-Some debug features and methods to help with testing your projects
-A letter by letter message system, with a beep accompanying each letter
-A name input interface has been created, and mostly works
-The rucksack (divided into tools and items, with an HM:FOMT style interface)
-The toolbox (very similar interface to the rucksack)
-Colored hearts that indicate how much an eligible bachelor/bachelorette likes
you (can be disabled in settings)
-Mayonnaise Maker, Yarn Maker, and Cheese Maker
-Stumps that respawn daily on the mountain
-The greenhouse
-Tool upgrades
-Turning without moving
-Support for multiple farms (similar to HM:MM)
-possibly a few others I forgot aboutPlanned/Partially-Implemented Features:

-Festivals (might be too project-specific to implement)
-Marriage (I think affection can be raised and lowered, but marriage isn't
possible yet)
-Horse riding (and possibly a generic Horse Race system)
-Swimming (and possibly a generic swimming event)
-Changing outfits (easy)
-Upgradable/purchasable buildings (not as hard as it sounds actually)
-Better maps to demonstrate features
-Cooking
-House Decorating
-any other features the community feels are importantWhat You Can Do:

There are some things I'd like input about or help with. These include:
-support banners! Putting the logo with a link to the thread in your
signature would be a great way to help advertise and gain support for this
project (I can't be everywhere at once, after all). More users means more
testing, more suggestions, more fangames, and ultimately, a better project.
You can even make your own banners if you prefer something that looks nicer.
-more efficient ways to code existing features (I could always use a
few pointers on what I'm doing wrong or sloppy)
-finding/fixing bugs
-screenshots!
-which settings should be customizable by the user (or ones I should take out)
-recipes and tools for cooking (recipes should ONLY include ingredients that
exist in this project, or ones that exist in official HM games that have
been excluded from this project so far)
-how tools should behave (area of effect for higher level tools. This differs
slightly between different HMs, especially unique max lvl tools )
-finding completed features I didn't add to the list of features above
Credit will be given for every reasonable contribution that goes directly into the project. This includes menu designs, rips, code, etc.

Controls:
W - Open the rucksack
D - Take item from or store item in the rucksack
X - Cancel / Use equipped tool
C - Confirm / Grab / Throw / Interact
SPACE - Hold to run Errors/Bugs:

-Error when opening project:

When opening the project with an older version of RMXP, an error will occur that will prevent it from loading. To fix it, open the Game.rxproj file with notepad (NOT RMXP) and change the RMXP version number to the version of RMXP you are currently running (it should be the only text in that file). If you do not know which version of RMXP you have, open RMXP and click Help -> About...

Alternatively, you can copy/paste a Game.rxproj file from a different project created with your version of RMXP (since the Game.rxproj file is not specific to any project).

-Strange bug when collecting eggs from chickens:

When chickens lay their eggs, an event is spawned on their current location. Although the egg correctly appears to be under them, it is in fact on top of them. When you try to grab the chicken to move them off the egg, you grab the egg instead. Convenient, but incorrect.

-A custom animation you added looks strange when playing:

This is an odd bug I haven't figured out the source of, and have been dealing with for quite a while. For some reason, every animation that's been added to the project has it's blending value set to either Add or Sub (not sure which since I don't care. both are bad). This causes the animations to look odd (semi-transparent, and badly discolored). If you have this issue with an animation, open the RMXP Database and go to the Animations tab, then select the animation, click Cell Batch..., then check the Blending box and select Normal. The animation should play fine after that.

-Ladders spawning in places they shouldn't in the mine:

If you dig a hole in the mine and find a ladder, climbing down the ladder takes you to a new floor where an escape ladder is spawned automatically. Sometimes a rock will also spawn in the same spot, resulting in a ladder being placed on top of an impassable tile.

Other Notes:

Sound and graphic rips would be appreciated for many things. Some scratch spriting may also be needed to fill in the blanks (I've done a little bit so far).

Please, do not suggest features you would like for YOUR game. Only suggest core features and recurring elements that are common to all or most Harvest Moon games (i.e. don't ask me to add new crops, animal breeds, or other things that aren't already in SEVERAL Harvest Moon games. Create them yourself in your project or ask someone to help you create them). Before it is suggested though, I'll address dual screens: I don't mind either way if dual screens are used. If someone wants to make the project work with a dual screen script, I'd be more than willing to host it in this thread with the standard project for users to choose from (and you will be credited for the contribution). You can also put it in your own thread if you prefer, just be sure to give proper credits. Additionally, if someone wants to turn this into an RMVX or RMVXA project, that would also be much appreciated, and the same terms apply.

If you don't understand or need clarification on something or how it works, be sure to ask in this thread and I'll explain it to the best of my ability (Please don't fill up my PM box or profile with stuff about this project unless absolutely necessary. Post your questions/thoughts/suggestions/flaming here if at all possible). I've also been re-working code to make it more efficient and/or more easily understandable and usable. I've tried to keep flexibility and scalability in mind as well, and have re-written some code many times because of it. I'm currently evaluating all of the code once again (though some of it I won't mess with until I get some suggestions from the community) to find things to improve, so suggestions in that regard are much appreciated.

Screenshots:

Unfortunately, there currently isn't as much to visually show as I'd like and I haven't taken the time to get a lot of good screenshots. When the project is more complete, better screenshots with larger variety can be posted to show off the functionality. If you'd like to contribute screenshots, post them in the thread and I'll add them here if they are suitable (with credits, of course). Some basic screenshots can be found on my ImageShack account: https://imageshack.com/a/FFPq/1.

Download:

HMTK v2.2 - http://www.mediafire.com/download/te8rpgfo95anu9y/HMTK+v2.2.zip

If the link ever stops working, or you have issues with that uploading site, let me know and I'll post additional links.

Basic Tutorial:
[I]Warning: lots of text.
-Once you've got the project up and running, you can start following the steps below (if you get any errors, be sure to check the "Errors/Bugs" section above):

-Go outside and check out the farm. You'll see a toolbox outside your house. Open it (It won't be in the next release).

-Now that you have some tools to play with, head over to the field full of rocks, sticks, and weeds. You can cut sticks and stumps (currently, it only takes one hit to break stumps. that is temporary) with your axe, and you can similarly break rocks and boulders with your hammer. The scythe doesn't work yet, so you can't cut those weeds. BUT, you can grab and throw them to weed your field. You can also pick up those sticks and rocks and place them anywhere else on the field (and only on the field).

-Once you have a nice clear spot, equip your hoe. Dig a nice 3x3 square, stand in the middle, then equip some seeds (the white bag is turnips. try those out since they grow faster). With your seeds equipped, press the D key to use them like any other tool and watch them cover that 3x3 patch. You've successfully planted your first crops!

-With your crops planted, you have to take care of them now. If you were lucky and did this on a rainy day, they are watered already. If not, equip your watering can and water a couple (don't water all of them, because you'll run out. I haven't added a means of refilling it just yet). Now, head back inside, interact with your diary next to the bed, and sleep. Go back outside, water the same couple you did before (unless it's raining), then go back to sleep again. Do this a few times, and you should notice your crop has grown a couple times. When it's full grown, you can pull it out of the ground. From there, you can sell it or give it to someone. Or just throw it on the ground to get rid of it. You're now an expert at farming!

-Next up is your animals. Some animals have already been provided for you as a courtesy, so you can get a feel for how they work. They aren't finished yet though, so it's a little rudimentary right now. First, go up to each of your animals in the barn and press C. You'll notice a little heart appear. If you press C on that animal again, nothing happens. Why is that? Because you've already showed them a little affection, so they're used to it. Otherwise you'd be able to make your animal completely loyal and happy in just a day. BUT, you can come back tomorrow and do it again to score a little more affection points. Not much to it so far though. Animals need food though, so head over to the right side of the barn, press C on the box protruding from the side, and you'll suddenly be holding something (unless you already have something equipped. if so, unequip it). This is fodder, and animals get sick (and will eventually die when I maliciously program them to) if you don't feed it to them. But slow down there cowboy! You can't just run up and stick it in their mouth (yet). Walk up to those conspicuous boxes you see next to them. There's one for each animal (and a couple extra), so place the fodder in those. You just have to stand next to one, face it, and press C with the fodder in your hands. Easy.

-Now that you've seen the animals in your barn, run over to the next building: your chicken coop. There's already a few in there waiting for you. One thing you should notice right off when you interact with your chickens is that you show them affection in a different way. You pick them up, the put them back down on the ground. Now they're happy. It's a Harvest Moon thing. You can also grab a chicken and take it outside. You can even take it completely off your farm to some obscure place and drop it off. When you come back, it will still be there (I need to program something like wolves eating them when you do that though. It was in the SNES version after all). Normally, leaving chickens outside on your farm will encourage them to scavenge for their own food so they don't starve (well, they can't starve just yet). However, they haven't been programmed to do so. So leave them inside for now. Chickens are pretty simple really. But wait, how do you feed them? You should already have some handy dandy bags of chicken feed in your bag. Just press S until a brown bag with a chicken on it pops up. Now that it's equipped, face the little feed stalls behind where your chickens first appeared. There's one per chicken, so put feed in one for each of them (just press D). You can come back the next day to get eggs from the chickens you fed.

-Now, go outside and leave your farm. You'll be at a crossroads. From there, go left to the town. There's three shops there: the tool shop (don't go there, they have defective products :p), the restaurant/cafe (it's locked though. no food for you), and the animal shop. There's also a church, but it's not finished yet. Head to the animal shop (notice the little cow icon on the building that gives it away), and once inside grab the three items on the counter. You'll have to pay for them, but that's okay. You have nearly $10 billion. With your new toys in hand, there's a few more possibilities open to you now. First, equip your brush (Just press S until it pops up). Then head to your barn and use the brush on your animals. They love it. This allows you to score a little more affection each day from your animals (certain things require your animals to like you. such as getting better produce from them, or winning certain festivals). Once you've brushed your animals, equip the milker (the funny-looking yellow and white thing). Guess what it's for? Milking your cows (that was a tough one). So, get milking! You can take the milk you get and sell it, give it to someone, or throw it away. If you don't feed your animals, they'll get sick and won't produce anything though. Also, cows that are too young can't be milked either (but your cows are already mature enough). Next up is the sheep. Pull out the shears and get clipping. You'll be awarded some wool that you can do the same thing with as everything else so far. Normally, you can't shear them every day. But they're programmed to regrow their wool every day for now, so don't worry about that just yet.

-Now what? You'll probably notice that there's a few more tools in your bag. Most don't work though, so don't bother trying them out just yet. So next, leave your farm again and this time go north. You're in the mountains. Early on in your game, it's common to come here to forage for wild food to sell. It's not worth as much as milk, wool, or crops, but buying animals to start with is expensive, and both crops and animals take time to grow before you can get anything of value from them. So, this is the alternative for making a quick buck. You can grab some items laying around and, like everything else, ship them, give them away, or throw them away. You should also see four signs side by side. You can interact with these to change the season (just for fun). Doing so will change which items are available to forage. Next to these signs is a little pond. You can use your fishing pole here to catch fish (or sometimes junk). It's a little awkward right now, but fishing does work. Cast out your line, and sit tight until you get a bite. Quickly press B when you get a bite (hit it repeatedly if you have trouble) and you'll hook a fish. You can do the same thing with that fish as anything else. It can be sold, thrown away, or given away.

-I bet you've been dying to explore that cave (if you haven't already) over there. Well, go ahead! Once inside, you'll notice that's it's pretty empty. Boring right? Equip your hoe and dig around a bit. You can find items in the ground, and even old ladders that take you to the lower levels of the mine. On the next levels down, you should see some rocks all over the place. You can break these with your hammer to score items as well. Dig around some more until you've found enough ladders to take you to the last floor. There's a nice pond you can fish in there. All you'll get is a "rare" fish all the time if you fish in it though. To get out, run back over the ladder and climb out.

-If you didn't earlier, you can talk to Ellen and Ann in town to see how the message system works and the different dialog patterns. You get a greeting when you first meet them, some generic filler text (you only get one or two of these common dialogs per day. two for right now), and then an ending phrase to indicate that there's nothing more to talk about. All dialog will increase that villagers affection level a little, but only the first time you hear it each day. So after you see the ending text once, talking to them again will do nothing until their dialog is reset the next day (I think I've programmed it to reset anyways). They'll just repeat their ending text over and over.

That's more or less all for right now. There's a whole lot more to it in the background, but you don't need to worry about that until the project is finished up and a tutorial on how to use or customize certain features is written up. When that time comes, you can take the role of a developer and start building your own Harvest Moon with your own (or just your favorite) characters, in your own towns (or ones you liked in the official games) and add as many new items, features, animals, or characters as you want.

Credits:

If you find anything in this project which needs credits and isn't already on the list below, such as ideas you feel I stole from you (be prepared to provide sufficient proof. I'll let the community decide based on evidence if it comes to this), graphics, audio, scripts, or anything else, post it here so it can be taken care of and a proper credits list determined. So far, these are the people you should credit:

KitsuneKouta - obvious reasons are obvious
Nintendo, Natsume, Marvelous Interactive - for creating/publishing Harvest Moon
SephirothSpawn - for his scripted event notes I included (and extended) in the project, and some general logic behind event spawning (from his EventSpawner)
Cheese (from TSR) - for some HM:FOMT rips I downgraded into SNES style
Billy-- - for some graphics rips
Cujo the Cat (from TSR)- for HM:FOMT face rips (and some charsets, but they are only temporary)
Crazyninjaguy - for his awesome mouse script (only used for debug stuff so far)
Mobius XVI and SirBilly (from rpgmakerweb.com) - for their simple turn without moving code
Nickalooose - for the Ellen charset
...and you, if you contribute!

Happy farming :)

I claim no ownership of any audio, graphics, ideas, or otherwise which were created and/or copyrighted by Nintendo, Natsume, Marvelous Interactive, or any other party which created in whole or part and/or owns any copyright related to the Harvest Moon video game series. This work is purely for entertainment and learning purposes, and should NOT be used for profit in any way.

Cilerba
June 24th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Yes yes yes. I'm so glad to see this, Kitsune. I'll be sure to try it out later on, and rip some graphics and things that you may need.

KingCharizard
June 24th, 2012, 04:41 AM
I was going to start something similar awhile back but I didn't think many people wanted it. When I asked no one seemed to know what HM was or wanted to make their own game. And finding the sprites and graphics was hard. I'll definitely be following this..

I get an error this project is from an eariler RPG maker and cannot be loaded.

tylerab01
June 24th, 2012, 06:26 AM
I own all of the Harvest Moon DS games, so if you need anything I will help you!

pokehackster
June 24th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I actually like this idea, but is there any way you could make it compatible with poccils kit to make a harvest moon pokemon game?

KitsuneKouta
June 24th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the support guys, help will be much appreciated.

@KingCharizard: I also found that finding graphics was a bit of a pain, so what I have I actually ripped myself as needed. Some of the larger resources I found weren't sized right or were incomplete, so they weren't much help. Also, that error is one that has given me some trouble too. I found that all you have to do is open your Game.rxproj in notepad and edit the version number to the version of RMXP you're using (it should be the only text in that file at all). You can find the version you're using by opening RMXP and clicking Help -> About... With newer releases of this project, you should be able to just copy you Game.rxproj file into the new version and overwrite the one in it (the Game.rxproj file isn't project specific anyways, so you could even copy one from a different project).

@pokehackster: It MIGHT be possible to use this with Pokemon Essentials with a few small changes. I did NOT remove a single line of code that comes standard with RMXP, I merely overrode or extended things with aliasing to improve compatibility. I had also tinkered with the idea of using some Pokemon graphics as placeholders for the animals (this being a Pokemon community and all), especially since there was no sheep in the SNES version so I couldn't find a reasonable substitute for it. If everyone is cool with the idea, I might use Torchic for chickens, Miltank for cows, and Mareep for sheep (and possibly include some Pokemon as fish too). It was just a novelty idea I had been considering. So if you want to use this with Essentials, you can probably copy all of the new script sections (I put them all at the bottom. Every line of new code is there so you don't have to dig around the default scripts at all) and paste them at the bottom of Essentials. Expect some errors though, especially in regards to tilemap stuff. I play with the tilemap a little bit for the farming and mining systems, so I may look into a minor re-write for compatibility if I find the spare time. It would be great if you knew enough programming to do it though. I could give you pointers to hopefully help you get it working.

On another note, I forgot to mention how the controls work.

Hold X to run
Press S to switch tools
Press D to use the current tool
Press C to interact

There's no rucksack or pause menus just yet, so there's no button for that.

I'll be updating the first post with some of this since it's important stuff I left out.

Aamelo
June 24th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Right when I was planning to do a Pokemon + Harvest Moon Crossover this appears :I
I don't know if I will still do the project, though. Still this seems to be a fun engine.

fiOWNya
June 24th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I'm kinda disappointed that this is XP (I have VXA), I really want to try it out! I can still try out the sample maps though, I'll do that right away and let you know my opinion. ;)

First thing I noticed is that the game crashes when I pressed enter or c with any objects or people. There's also a window that comes up when I pick up the weeds.

It looks really nice though, makes me want to play my old game again. :).

KitsuneKouta
June 24th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I'm kinda disappointed that this is XP (I have VXA), I really want to try it out! I can still try out the sample maps though, I'll do that right away and let you know my opinion. ;)

First thing I noticed is that the game crashes when I pressed enter or c with any objects or people. There's also a window that comes up when I pick up the weeds.

It looks really nice though, makes me want to play my old game again. :).It shouldn't be too hard to port to VX or VXA actually. I'd been thinking about getting VXA recently, so I might work on that. Anything that's strictly Ruby code should be fully compatible. The only issue should be with the stuff that uses the built in functionality of RMXP (which is a small percentage of the total. Maybe some of the code that changes the tilemap would need to be updated too). If anyone has VX or VXA and would like to work on that, it would a great contribution. Until then it will probably have to wait until I get some spare time and cash.

The game crashes when talking to people right now since I didn't fix them initializing after porting the project (the game is supposed to initialize every single villager object when New Game is selected, so they can be used wherever whenever by the player), among other minor things. The pop up when grabbing rocks and weeds and stuff is something I was using for debugging (the item kept transforming into the next one in the list after being picked up, so I was checking the item's id).

You will probably all notice random pop up boxes like that from time to time in random places. It's one of my preferred debugging methods for whatever reason, and I usually forget to get rid of it when I finish. Also, I forgot that I wrecked the Transfer Player events when copying over maps, so doors/exits do not work like you'd expect (except the door to the house). I'll address some of these things in the next update.

fiOWNya
June 24th, 2012, 02:10 PM
If you do decide to convert it to VXA at all, let me know and I'd be happy to test it out more in depth for you. :)

I always enjoyed the Harvest Moon series, so I'm really happy you're creating this.

pokehackster
June 24th, 2012, 07:33 PM
@pokehackster: It MIGHT be possible to use this with Pokemon Essentials with a few small changes. I did NOT remove a single line of code that comes standard with RMXP, I merely overrode or extended things with aliasing to improve compatibility. I had also tinkered with the idea of using some Pokemon graphics as placeholders for the animals (this being a Pokemon community and all), especially since there was no sheep in the SNES version so I couldn't find a reasonable substitute for it. If everyone is cool with the idea, I might use Torchic for chickens, Miltank for cows, and Mareep for sheep (and possibly include some Pokemon as fish too). It was just a novelty idea I had been considering. So if you want to use this with Essentials, you can probably copy all of the new script sections (I put them all at the bottom. Every line of new code is there so you don't have to dig around the default scripts at all) and paste them at the bottom of Essentials. Expect some errors though, especially in regards to tilemap stuff. I play with the tilemap a little bit for the farming and mining systems, so I may look into a minor re-write for compatibility if I find the spare time. It would be great if you knew enough programming to do it though. I could give you pointers to hopefully help you get it working.

Unfortunately I know very little about ruby scripting so even with pointers It would take me forever to get something like that working, but I'm sure that there's someone out there that can and more than likely will incorporate this into poccils kit successfully. The main thought I had as far as incorporating it would be something similar to buying a farm and having the ability to raise different pokemon on it, but I know how tedious it would be to script something like that ^.^;

KitsuneKouta
June 24th, 2012, 11:14 PM
It's earlier than I was expecting, but an updated version has been released. A number of minor things have been fixed up to make the project more usable (since I did some testing and found I broke things a little more than I expected while working on other things). The download link in the main post has been updated. Here's a quick list of changes:

-Grabbing items (like the ones in the Mountain) no longer causes the game to crash
-Transfer Player events now go to the right places (might have missed a couple though)
-Non-existent dialog entries no longer cause villager events to crash the game
-Pop up window when grabbing weeds rocks or sticks has been eliminated
-Some junk events have been erased
-Some tile corrections
-Shipping bins in the barn and coop now work
-face graphics display as expected when talking to a villager
-the message system no longer crashes when non-text events run
-shipping dude spawns as expected
-cancelling in the diary cancels properly instead of opening the load menu (the Continue/load menu still causes a crash)
-visual weather effects (ok, just rain) work. I held off on them before due to lag, but it seems I accidentally fixed it at some point.
-the start of a calendar interface

Nickalooose
June 24th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Oh congratulations on this you... Was meant to comment yesterday but stupid England were playing in the Euros *cough*.

It's great to see this come along way since you sent me the kit, I've never really played these but can see I'd play this, I wander if I can find any hidden horses again haha.

Still, well done, especially for the new update so quickly.

Billy--
June 26th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I love this a lot because for the longest times, I've always wanted to make a Harvest Moon game! Though when I use this, even if I talk to someone, I get an error, and it closes out the whole game... When I pick up a weed too, it comes up with a little box that says "0" and I have to close it out with the mouse. Good work so far though :)

KitsuneKouta
June 26th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I love this a lot because for the longest times, I've always wanted to make a Harvest Moon game! Though when I use this, even if I talk to someone, I get an error, and it closes out the whole game... When I pick up a weed too, it comes up with a little box that says "0" and I have to close it out with the mouse. Good work so far though :)Not sure how, but I ended up re-uploading the old project both times so the updated link still had the old project. I fixed it last night though, so it should be correct now, and those issues should be gone.

@Nickaloose: haha, I remember that. There is still one horse, though not quite as hidden. It probably doesn't work though, so I've been reworking animals to hopefully get them ready for the next release.

Billy--
June 26th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Not sure how, but I ended up re-uploading the old project both times so the updated link still had the old project. I fixed it last night though, so it should be correct now, and those issues should be gone.

@Nickaloose: haha, I remember that. There is still one horse, though not quite as hidden. It probably doesn't work though, so I've been reworking animals to hopefully get them ready for the next release.

Ahh okay :) I'll re-upload it later 'cause I tried again just now, but the people are still being weird...I can pick up wild items though!

KitsuneKouta
June 26th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Ahh okay :) I'll re-upload it later 'cause I tried again just now, but the people are still being weird...I can pick up wild items though!I should mention there are still a couple issues with villager events. The message system is still broken, so when pressing C to close the dialog box it re-opens when talking to a villager. The mayor event however doesn't have any dialog, so I created a little error message instead (so the game wouldn't crash). That one is supposed to be there (since I don't have the time or patience to implement the thousands of lines of dialog that will ultimately be needed). If you can grab wild items, and the map teleports work, then you have the correct version.

Billy--
June 26th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I should mention there are still a couple issues with villager events. The message system is still broken, so when pressing C to close the dialog box it re-opens when talking to a villager. The mayor event however doesn't have any dialog, so I created a little error message instead (so the game wouldn't crash). That one is supposed to be there (since I don't have the time or patience to implement the thousands of lines of dialog that will ultimately be needed). If you can grab wild items, and the map teleports work, then you have the correct version.

Ahh okay! I know the maps, and the wild items work, but I tried talking to Ann, and I think Elli...Oh wells xD This just started.

KitsuneKouta
June 30th, 2012, 03:22 PM
It's been a few days, so I've decided to update everyone on what's going on. I've been making significant changes to the tool kit and should have a new release ready in the next day or two.

The message system is working correctly first and foremost (choice boxes are almost almost done, and number input might be done at some point in the future), with letter by letter text (and adjustable speeds) and support for a beeping noise has been added as each letter is drawn (a common feature in Harvest Moon games). If users want extra features for the message system, be sure to ask about it and I'll try to get to it eventually. I can add things like changing the color of specific text with tags or something (right now it's all or none, and the color can be specified in Settings). So if you think of any additions to the message system that would be good, name it. Also, animals are partially complete, and should be ready for the next release. Some tools have to be coded first though (like the brush, milker, etc). I'll try to add some generic interfaces for stuff too.

I'll update the first post with the new version and information once it's ready, and add a few people to the credits.

If you have any suggestions or things you'd like to contribute, please do so soon so I can add them to the tool kit.

Nickalooose
July 1st, 2012, 05:49 AM
I have an idea for the messaging thing... I was actually looking into it for my game, but I don't see why I don't throw it your way for an idea.

Maybe you could do a system that eventid[x] get's it's name like Jill and makes that text colour grey (or whatever):
__
|Jill\

Kind of how that looks! So the message box has it's text in what ever colour you specify, green, blue, pink whatever you've made I guess, but the Event name that is speaking has it's own little tab with the eventid name, which would be your greys, blacks and whites, depending on the graphic I guess... Or whatever you think haha! just an idea, you don't need it of course.

Obviously, I'm hoping you get the idea with that picture, because using underscores and slashes, is not the easiest thing to make a picture haha

KitsuneKouta
July 1st, 2012, 07:27 AM
I have an idea for the messaging thing... I was actually looking into it for my game, but I don't see why I don't throw it your way for an idea.

Maybe you could do a system that eventid[x] get's it's name like Jill and makes that text colour grey (or whatever):
__
|Jill\

Kind of how that looks! So the message box has it's text in what ever colour you specify, green, blue, pink whatever you've made I guess, but the Event name that is speaking has it's own little tab with the eventid name, which would be your greys, blacks and whites, depending on the graphic I guess... Or whatever you think haha! just an idea, you don't need it of course.

Obviously, I'm hoping you get the idea with that picture, because using underscores and slashes, is not the easiest thing to make a picture hahaI think I kind of get what you're saying. The basic idea is that text color depends on the events name. What would probably be more intuitive (since you might not want 10 different "Jills" in your game) is to use a tag in the event name. It's something I've done before. So for instance, you name your event whatever you want, then add [Green] or [Purple] to the name and all text from that event is colored as such. Perhaps even something like [Boy] and [Girl] for simple gender-based text. Ah, and I could also do [Speed=2] to let you set the text speed for specific events (instead of having to change and then revert it for that one event). For things like old people that talk slower or whatever you can think of to use it for. Oh, and [Boy] [Girl] could also determine the pitch of the message beep (the pitch is lower when a boy it talking, and higher when a girl is talking). Anyone have any comments on this? I'll probably add it in after the next release.

Billy--
July 3rd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Is there gonna be a way to put the character's likes and dislikes, and the use of their profile picture? And, maybe use of a background like when you talked to a character in HMDS? :)

KitsuneKouta
July 3rd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Is there gonna be a way to put the character's likes and dislikes, and the use of their profile picture? And, maybe use of a background like when you talked to a character in HMDS? :)I'll only add in backgrounds when talking to characters if dual screens are implemented (I won't be doing dual screens though, so that will have to be handled by someone else. Should be pretty easy though). The other two things were there since the first release (actually a couple months before that even). When talking to a villager, a face graphic will show up that corresponds to their face (if one with their name exists). They also have likes and dislikes in terms of items, but it only affects text. It will be easy to make it affect face graphics and affection too though. And it's slightly buggy in that it only reads item ids, and items of different kinds can have the same id (weeds have id 0, and so do small chicken eggs, for example). This means that if they dislike an item with id 0, they will dislike every item with id 0. I'll probably change it to support item names instead.

Also, be on the lookout for the new release within the next couple hours (it was going to be out last night, but I kept finding more things to do to it). There have been significant changes to it, which will be listed when I post it here.

Billy--
July 3rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
Ooohh, I'll be very excited for this. I've been updating the tilesheets, and such.

KitsuneKouta
July 3rd, 2012, 04:26 PM
Version 2.0 has been released. The download link in the first post has been updated.

Here's a quick overview of what's been done:
-databox slightly updated
-scrollbar added to databox (to allow future expansion of elements without making it bigger)
-databox is now an object with it's own script section
-weather effects for snow and cloudiness added (rain was already done)
-player can't go outside in hurricanes or blizzards (via simple event)
-minor map updates, maps added
-some unused graphic files removed
-catching a junk item (i.e. empty can) while fishing no longer crashes the game
-script sections were slightly cleaned up and organized
-notes in various script sections haved been marked with a #note: tag for convenience
-cleaned up some junk code
-some debug methods added
-tools reworked a bit, and are treated more like regular items by the rucksack.
-minor code optimizations
-added debug events to spawn animals in barn and coop (only in debug mode)
-made some corrections to Game_Player
-controls updated
-items can now be equipped and unequipped (between your hands and the rucksack)
-player updates correctly when running/stops running
-Some animations added and implemented
-message system much more functional. most bugs fixed.
-message system is now letter by letter with beep effect (beep can be disabled in Settings)
-$time.delay added (like $time.pause, but game updates while action is delayed)
-Player's gold is displayed with the stamina bar (like in HM:Animal Parade)
-Name input interface working
-Weather types now play a bgs
-rain effects changed
-support for clearing $game_system.playing_bgs added (use $game_system.bgs_stop instead of Audio.bgs_stop or the bgs will still be stored, though silent)
-animals mostly work (Horses need some additional work before they're finished, and aging isn't implemented yet)
-cows can be milked
-sheep can be shorn
-chickens lay eggs (there's a minor related bug)
-animals can be brushed (except chickens) and interacted with as expected
-some additions made to the Settings script section
-villagers moved into the town, instead of sitting on the farm
-some Pokemon OWs temporarily added as placeholders, until charsets are ripped and put together (a sheep will need to be ripped from the GBC version and upgraded a little if someone wants to do that)
-lumber can be put back in the lumber box now
-standard infobox added. displays time, date, weather, and equipped tool
-animals can be fed (they should get sick otherwise and not produce anything)
-item switching menu added (similar to HM: Magical Melody), but disabled until finished.
-item switching has been improved (separately from the disabled menu). Just press "S" to switch items any timeAs you can see, I've been a busy bee. Enjoy!

With all these changes, a few things are bound to have gone amiss. If you run across any bugs or oddities, remember to post them here.

Billy--
July 3rd, 2012, 04:35 PM
Hey, do the hearts show up yet? :P I tried talking to Ann, then Elli

Some things I noticed: Picking up a chicken often gives me an error.

KitsuneKouta
July 3rd, 2012, 05:29 PM
Hey, do the hearts show up yet? :P I tried talking to Ann, then Elli

Some things I noticed: Picking up a chicken often gives me an error.The hearts haven't been implemented just yet. Most of the stuff needed in the back end is there to add it though. It will be in the next maintenance release.

I just fixed the error with the chicken (I ended up changing items/tools quite a bit after implementing animals, and since the chicken is an item when you hold it, the changes messed it up), and have updated the download link in the first post.

Billy--
July 4th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Oh, and if I try to buy some of the tools from the tool shop, I'll get an error there, too.

KitsuneKouta
July 4th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Oh, and if I try to buy some of the tools from the tool shop, I'll get an error there, too.Not surprising. I haven't touched the Tool Shop map in months. The events call old methods I was using to add tools (which have been removed), so it throws an error. It isn't needed though, as the toolbox by the player's house gives you a bunch of tools to mess with (including the brush, milker, and shears, which can also be bought in the animal shop and do work correctly).

I'm planning to get things really tightened up in the next release (tools, animals, the tool switching menu from HM:MM [already done], shops, villagers [affection, marriage, more villagers added, etc], and mining). As it is though, most of what everyone needs to make games with it is already there. Fixing a few missing pieces will more or less take care of the important stuff. I will probably start a tutorial and take some screenshots (and maybe even a video demo if I feel like it) to go more in-depth on the features and explain how to use the tool kit.

Billy--
July 4th, 2012, 09:15 AM
That'd be awesome (for me anyways). I'm not the most game smart person, I'm more of an artistic guy :P

EdiT: I don't know if the snow is working properly, I sped in to Winter, and I kept getting rain. Haha

KitsuneKouta
July 4th, 2012, 12:07 PM
That'd be awesome (for me anyways). I'm not the most game smart person, I'm more of an artistic guy :P

EdiT: I don't know if the snow is working properly, I sped in to Winter, and I kept getting rain. HahaThanks for finding that one. Seasons used to be 1-4, but I made it 0-based recently for simplicity and forgot to change the numbers where weathers are generated. Fixed now. Also, just so everyone knows, if you dig around a bit there are some debug methods here and there to make testing things easier. I really need to go add a debug tag to them (some have it, some don't), but they are there. In your case, instead of speeding to winter you could have actually interacted with the four signs by your house (or in the mountain). They each correspond to a season, and immediately change the season so you can test things things out easier (which is exactly why they were added). They don't adjust the weather properly yet though (if you select the winter sign while it's raining, it will still be raining). Hopefully I can get that tutorial ready soon to address things like that.

Billy--
July 4th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Once the day/night system is implemented, it'd be pretty cool to see the lighting of the windows go on :)

KitsuneKouta
July 4th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Once the day/night system is implemented, it'd be pretty cool to see the lighting of the windows go on :)I think that would be pretty cool too. Since someone else already asked me for help with a better day/night system, I've been working some of these things out in my head and will probably end up killing two birds with one stone. It's in the works.

Also, brief update (but important enough to me that I felt I should announce it): the current system for saving tile data on the farm map (i.e. when you dig with the hoe or plant stuff, the tiles don't change back) works just fine and all, but you've probably noticed that the stuff in your field is actually gone and quickly pops back on screen after a second when entering the map each time. This always annoyed me a little, but I finally discovered how to fix it. I tried a couple months ago, failed, and it turns out I was close. So, I will be fixing the tile data switching in the next release to make loading maps significantly smoother. Also, I will be doing it so that it applies to every map in the game by storing the spritesets in an array. What this means is that making visual changes to any map should be smoother. This mostly applies to the player's house, where they will need to be able to decorate the house with different furniture (something that's already been started). And of course, you developers can make use of it as well for more dynamic mapping. So, look forward to the nominal boost in quality. It's probably a 10x bigger deal to me because of the headaches it gave me before, but it will really make it look more professional.

Nickalooose
July 4th, 2012, 07:50 PM
A couple things I seen wrong at the moment, don't know if you know:

When buying something on Map:Tool Shop, the noise for each letter appearing, keeps playing during the yes or no phase.

The character left to this shop, when walking down changes sprite.

When picking up items, they become normal in snowey weather when they should'nt, right?

I like the seasons thing though, especially the tile changes :D
Useing Pokémon for the chickens and stuff, that's funny, I threw a Torchic around coz he annoys me haha... He still loves me though!

I just errored out buying a hoe, oops! (geez that sounds naughty)

KitsuneKouta
July 4th, 2012, 08:01 PM
A couple things I seen wrong at the moment, don't know if you know:

When buying something on Map:Tool Shop, the noise for each letter appearing, keeps playing during the yes or no phase.

The character left to this shop, when walking down changes sprite.

When picking up items, they become normal in snowey weather when they should'nt, right?

I like the seasons thing though, especially the tile changes :D
Useing Pokémon for the chickens and stuff, that's funny, I threw a Torchic around coz he annoys me haha... He still loves me though!

I just errored out buying a hoe, oops! (geez that sounds naughty)I didn't notice that first one, since 90% of the time I have stuff muted. Especially since the message beep was like violent ear rape (the one in the actual games usually has a lower pitch and is more tolerable). I'll get right on that (I think I know the problem already).

The sprite of that character changes because I only ripped a few frames. I found it's a pain to rip their sprites since they're terribly slow and never take more than one step at a time. Some don't move at all. So yeah, if anyone has some charsets, please share them.

The items probably should reflect the season when you hold them, but again I need more graphics for that. I've done plenty of sprite modding on the fly and ripping stuff as I go, but it's a bit of a hassle. So once I have some images, I'll get on that (but only for normal outdoor items, like rocks, sticks, and foraging items. others should remain unaffected).

And the error you got was from the tool shop. I think I mentioned that it uses old method calls that don't work anymore. Ignore it, since all the tools you need are in the toolbox by your house. Oh, and notice that if you want, you can place your chickens outside (I think you can put them on any map) and they'll stay there. Very slick, if I may say so myself.

Nickalooose
July 4th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Ah okay, you do know I can help you if you ask ;)

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/9717/ellenp.png

This fixes that waman! She can now walk ;)

If you need anything just drop me a line haha!

KitsuneKouta
July 6th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Ah okay, you do know I can help you if you ask ;)

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/9717/ellenp.png

This fixes that waman! She can now walk ;)

If you need anything just drop me a line haha!Thanks for that. It came from the sheet on The Spriters Resource right? I had started turning the sheet into charsets, until I found that several were missing some frames. So no more gender changing every time she moves now.

Also, progress report: I'm working a lot more on graphical interfaces for stuff now, and polishing things up where I find the need. The next release will be a bit larger than the others, so it will take a bit longer than normal to get it all ready. I'm also trying to simplify some code to make things easier to understand and edit, and planning a tutorial to release at the same time. Be sure to make whatever suggestions you feel like so I can get on it for this release. I'm also considering change the graphical style to something a little more recent. If you have a preference, name it (some rips to go along with it would be great too. I'd like a complete set of graphics before making any graphic changes so it's not such a patch job).

-------------------------
HMTK Basic Tutorial

I decided to write up a quick and dirty tutorial on some of the basics of the project, so that those of you who are confused as to how it works or are just unfamiliar with Harvest Moon in general can get a better idea of what this project is all about. It's a little wordy (when am I not?), but it will walk you through step by step what you can do in the project so far.

First, the controls:

W - store item in rucksack
A - equip first available item from rucksack
S - switch equipped item (temporarily eliminates the need for the A key)
D - use an equipped tool
X - Press to cancel / Hold to run
C - confirm choices or interact with things

Getting Started:

Once you've clicked Playtest and got the project running, there's a number of things you can do.

-Go outside and check out the farm. You'll see a toolbox outside your house. Open it (It won't be in the next release).

-Now that you have some tools to play with, head over to the field full of rocks, sticks, and weeds. You can cut sticks and stumps (currently, it only takes one hit to break stumps. that is temporary) with your axe, and you can similarly break rocks and boulders with your hammer. The scythe doesn't work yet, so you can't cut those weeds. BUT, you can grab and throw them to weed your field. You can also pick up those sticks and rocks and place them anywhere else on the field (and only on the field).

-Once you have a nice clear spot, equip your hoe. Dig a nice 3x3 square, stand in the middle, then equip some seeds (the white bag is turnips. try those out since they grow faster). With your seeds equipped, press the D key to use them like any other tool and watch them cover that 3x3 patch. You've successfully planted your first crops!

-With your crops planted, you have to take care of them now. If you were lucky and did this on a rainy day, they are watered already. If not, equip your watering can and water a couple (don't water all of them, because you'll run out. I haven't added a means of refilling it just yet). Now, head back inside, interact with your diary next to the bed, and sleep. Go back outside, water the same couple you did before (unless it's raining), then go back to sleep again. Do this a few times, and you should notice your crop has grown a couple times. When it's full grown, you can pull it out of the ground. From there, you can sell it or give it to someone. Or just throw it on the ground to get rid of it. You're now an expert at farming!

-Next up is your animals. Some animals have already been provided for you as a courtesy, so you can get a feel for how they work. They aren't finished yet though, so it's a little rudimentary right now. First, go up to each of your animals in the barn and press C. You'll notice a little heart appear. If you press C on that animal again, nothing happens. Why is that? Because you've already showed them a little affection, so they're used to it. Otherwise you'd be able to make your animal completely loyal and happy in just a day. BUT, you can come back tomorrow and do it again to score a little more affection points. Not much to it so far though. Animals need food though, so head over to the right side of the barn, press C on the box protruding from the side, and you'll suddenly be holding something (unless you already have something equipped. if so, unequip it). This is fodder, and animals get sick (and will eventually die when I maliciously program them to) if you don't feed it to them. But slow down there cowboy! You can't just run up and stick it in their mouth (yet). Walk up to those conspicuous boxes you see next to them. There's one for each animal (and a couple extra), so place the fodder in those. You just have to stand next to one, face it, and press C with the fodder in your hands. Easy.

-Now that you've seen the animals in your barn, run over to the next building: your chicken coop. There's already a few in there waiting for you. One thing you should notice right off when you interact with your chickens is that you show them affection in a different way. You pick them up, the put them back down on the ground. Now they're happy. It's a Harvest Moon thing. You can also grab a chicken and take it outside. You can even take it completely off your farm to some obscure place and drop it off. When you come back, it will still be there (I need to program something like wolves eating them when you do that though. It was in the SNES version after all). Normally, leaving chickens outside on your farm will encourage them to scavenge for their own food so they don't starve (well, they can't starve just yet). However, they haven't been programmed to do so. So leave them inside for now. Chickens are pretty simple really. But wait, how do you feed them? You should already have some handy dandy bags of chicken feed in your bag. Just press S until a brown bag with a chicken on it pops up. Now that it's equipped, face the little feed stalls behind where your chickens first appeared. There's one per chicken, so put feed in one for each of them (just press D). You can come back the next day to get eggs from the chickens you fed.

-Now, go outside and leave your farm. You'll be at a crossroads. From there, go left to the town. There's three shops there: the tool shop (don't go there, they have defective products :p), the restaurant/cafe (it's locked though. no food for you), and the animal shop. There's also a church, but it's not finished yet. Head to the animal shop (notice the little cow icon on the building that gives it away), and once inside grab the three items on the counter. You'll have to pay for them, but that's okay. You have nearly $10 billion. With your new toys in hand, there's a few more possibilities open to you now. First, equip your brush (Just press S until it pops up). Then head to your barn and use the brush on your animals. They love it. This allows you to score a little more affection each day from your animals (certain things require your animals to like you. such as getting better produce from them, or winning certain festivals). Once you've brushed your animals, equip the milker (the funny-looking yellow and white thing). Guess what it's for? Milking your cows (that was a tough one). So, get milking! You can take the milk you get and sell it, give it to someone, or throw it away. If you don't feed your animals, they'll get sick and won't produce anything though. Also, cows that are too young can't be milked either (but your cows are already mature enough). Next up is the sheep. Pull out the shears and get clipping. You'll be awarded some wool that you can do the same thing with as everything else so far. Normally, you can't shear them every day. But they're programmed to regrow their wool every day for now, so don't worry about that just yet.

-Now what? You'll probably notice that there's a few more tools in your bag. Most don't work though, so don't bother trying them out just yet. So next, leave your farm again and this time go north. You're in the mountains. Early on in your game, it's common to come here to forage for wild food to sell. It's not worth as much as milk, wool, or crops, but buying animals to start with is expensive, and both crops and animals take time to grow before you can get anything of value from them. So, this is the alternative for making a quick buck. You can grab some items laying around and, like everything else, ship them, give them away, or throw them away. You should also see four signs side by side. You can interact with these to change the season (just for fun). Doing so will change which items are available to forage. Next to these signs is a little pond. You can use your fishing pole here to catch fish (or sometimes junk). It's a little awkward right now, but fishing does work. Cast out your line, and sit tight until you get a bite. Quickly press B when you get a bite (hit it repeatedly if you have trouble) and you'll hook a fish. You can do the same thing with that fish as anything else. It can be sold, thrown away, or given away.

-I bet you've been dying to explore that cave (if you haven't already) over there. Well, go ahead! Once inside, you'll notice that's it's pretty empty. Boring right? Equip your hoe and dig around a bit. You can find items in the ground, and even old ladders that take you to the lower levels of the mine. On the next levels down, you should see some rocks all over the place. You can break these with your hammer to score items as well (well, not yet. All you'll get is a pop up message telling you that you got one). Dig around some more until you've found enough ladders to take you to the last floor. There's a nice pond you can fish in there. All you'll get is a "rare" fish all the time if you fish in it though. To get out, run back over the ladder and climb out.

-If you didn't earlier, you can talk to Ellen and Ann in town to see how the message system works and the different dialog patterns. You get a greeting when you first meet them, some generic filler text (you only get one or two of these common dialogs per day. two for right now), and then an ending phrase to indicate that there's nothing more to talk about. All dialog will increase that villagers affection level a little, but only the first time you hear it each day. So after you see the ending text once, talking to them again will do nothing until their dialog is reset the next day (I think I've programmed it to reset anyways). They'll just repeat their ending text over and over.

That's more or less all for right now. There's a whole lot more to it in the background, but you don't need to worry about that until the project is finished up and a tutorial on how to use or customize certain features is written up. When that time comes, you can take the role of a developer and start building your own Harvest Moon with your own (or just your favorite) characters, in your own towns (or ones you liked in the official games) and add as many new items, features, animals, or characters as you want.

I'll also be adding this to the first post for now.

Nickalooose
July 7th, 2012, 02:23 AM
I drew that picture myself haha! I'm more of a HG/SS styled overworld, so this wasn't easy to do for me, without reverting to HG/SS style haha... But I think it came out alright.

Nice new update, will check this out a bit later, I don't have time right now, but I'll play later :D

Billy--
July 7th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Very nice description :) I actually made a map of the Valley from HMDS...I only got to make the village area so far....It's kinda just another text map for me to work things out... It'd be kinda cool if there was a spawn wild items code, like you have on the farm with the sticks and, stones. Excited to see the hearts, and day/night system too!

KitsuneKouta
July 7th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Very nice description :) I actually made a map of the Valley from HMDS...I only got to make the village area so far....It's kinda just another text map for me to work things out... It'd be kinda cool if there was a spawn wild items code, like you have on the farm with the sticks and, stones. Excited to see the hearts, and day/night system too!I supposed I could make items spawn randomly, but the official games usually have the items in static locations every day so you know what to expect (the 2D ones anyways. and this is a 2D project). I supposed I could even add it in and make it optional (I've done that with a few things so far).

Also, if you or anyone else wants to donate some maps to show off some of the features, that would be great. Maybe if/when the game gets a graphical upgrade, some maps from the official games could be used. I believe you mentioned you could rip some HMDS graphics. If you can get a full resource set, I will upgrade the graphics for in the upcoming release with it. It would be a huge help. Menu rips, item icons, facesets, tilesets, crop stages, and charsets (for animals too) are what's needed. Some of them are on TSR, so you could use that and fill in the blanks if you want. Otherwise, I might get to it eventually. If there are any other graphical styles anyone has in mind, please make note of them here (except FOMT. I do not like FOMT graphics for some reason. Also, I tried them before and they don't fit well in a grid using 32x32 tiles, which is what RMXP uses).

@Nickaloose: I actually didn't notice that the charset was different from the official one until I compared them. It was good enough to fool me at least, so good work on that.

Billy--
July 7th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Ohh, in HMDS, on the town plots, random items such as sticks, stones, wild grasses, grapes, and mushrooms appeared on them...They were farmable plots like on the main map for the farm :) Oh! I can gather up some HMDS face sprites if you'd like.

Here's the marriageable characters from HMDS...I had most of them already since I was ripping them for another project, but didn't finish them...

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z203/Billy--/?action=view&current=Marriagable.png

IceGod64
July 7th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Gonna check this out. I have minimal knowledge of Harvest Moon but in base concept it reminds me of Animal Crossing.

KitsuneKouta
July 9th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks for that Billy--, that should help out for now. And I see what you mean about making the items spawn now. The current scripts will spawn things on only one specific tile (the one you can till), so it should be really simple actually to change it to spawn things on other maps with that same tile as well. Which makes me think I probably need to add multiple selectable farms to the kit, and only setup the house on the one you pick. I may also remove the barn and coop, and make them purchasable and positionable on the map. I'll probably work on that at the same time as the house decorating system (since the algorithm is pretty much identical). I was also planning on adapting that system for Essentials as well (for secret bases).

@IceGod64: I guess you could say it's like Animal Crossing. They're both non-violent games that are more or less about everyday life. There are some common features between them too (in some HMs you can change clothes like in Animal Cross, both have fishing, and you interact and build relationships with the townspeople in both, as well as some other things probably). I added a general overview of what Harvest Moon is to the main post for everyone who doesn't know what Harvest Moon is.

Also, I will be working full time starting next week, so updates will be slowed a bit further. I'll still be checking in periodically and working on the kit though. The next release will be enormous if I finish the to do list I have for it.

Billy--
July 10th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks for that Billy--, that should help out for now. And I see what you mean about making the items spawn now. The current scripts will spawn things on only one specific tile (the one you can till), so it should be really simple actually to change it to spawn things on other maps with that same tile as well. Which makes me think I probably need to add multiple selectable farms to the kit, and only setup the house on the one you pick. I may also remove the barn and coop, and make them purchasable and positionable on the map. I'll probably work on that at the same time as the house decorating system (since the algorithm is pretty much identical). I was also planning on adapting that system for Essentials as well (for secret bases).

@IceGod64: I guess you could say it's like Animal Crossing. They're both non-violent games that are more or less about everyday life. There are some common features between them too (in some HMs you can change clothes like in Animal Cross, both have fishing, and you interact and build relationships with the townspeople in both, as well as some other things probably). I added a general overview of what Harvest Moon is to the main post for everyone who doesn't know what Harvest Moon is.

Also, I will be working full time starting next week, so updates will be slowed a bit further. I'll still be checking in periodically and working on the kit though. The next release will be enormous if I finish the to do list I have for it.

For the House Decorating part...If there is ever an option to get married in this, wouldn't you have to be careful where to place stuff since the husband/wife/kid needs room to walk around in the house? It's something that popped in my head. It would be pretty awesome if you could buy multiple barns, chicken coops, and some other buildings, like in HMDS, and put them anywhere on the farm!

Here's a small sneak peak of one of my maps :P It took hours to do, but I made the one part of the Valley from HMDS...Notice the mountain area, it looks very choppy and such, it needs to be worked on :)

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z203/Billy--/?action=view&current=HMFarm.png

Billy--
July 19th, 2012, 12:51 PM
How good is the update coming? :)

4rcanine
July 24th, 2012, 10:10 PM
This looks amazing. ;n; I've been trying to make my own Pokémon Harvest Moon spin-off (seem's I'm not the only one,) and this will make things so much easier. I would definitely love to use this starter kit once you've gotten tons of the bugs out, or perhaps I might wait to see if you decide to implement some of which you planned. c:
Good work, I'm really excited to see this done. I'll probably be checking in a couple times a month.

KitsuneKouta
July 31st, 2012, 04:27 AM
This looks amazing. ;n; I've been trying to make my own Pokémon Harvest Moon spin-off (seem's I'm not the only one,) and this will make things so much easier. I would definitely love to use this starter kit once you've gotten tons of the bugs out, or perhaps I might wait to see if you decide to implement some of which you planned. c:
Good work, I'm really excited to see this done. I'll probably be checking in a couple times a month.Glad to hear it. The more users of this kit the better. Hopefully in a couple months I'll have things patched up and more or less complete.

A quick update for everyone with regards to the kit: I did start working and so I have very little free time now. Development will have to be more or less restricted to weekends when I'm off, but I have still made some progress on the kit and plan to continue with it until it hopefully gets finished. Also, for the sake of getting things done, I probably won't be updating the graphical style unless someone can compile a complete set of resources in a format that RMXP can work with (i.e. arranging tilesets and charsets properly). Ripping and arranging resources takes a lot of time that would be better used on development of systems, so unless I can just plug it in and it works, I probably won't be changing any graphics aside from ones I have to mess with to implement different features.

Bladethorn
August 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I have a weird question about this AMAZING tool kit. Can it be added to other kits? Like Pokemon Essentials? My friends and I are working on a game that mixes Pokemon and Harvest Moon. This kit would be fantastic to add, but I'm not sure how one would do that. If you could give any tips or suggestions that would be amazing!
We don't plan to share this with anyone but our close friends, however if we can use this kit I'll be adding a credits-in-title screen and within the end credits :)

KitsuneKouta
August 19th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I have a weird question about this AMAZING tool kit. Can it be added to other kits? Like Pokemon Essentials? My friends and I are working on a game that mixes Pokemon and Harvest Moon. This kit would be fantastic to add, but I'm not sure how one would do that. If you could give any tips or suggestions that would be amazing!
We don't plan to share this with anyone but our close friends, however if we can use this kit I'll be adding a credits-in-title screen and within the end credits :)It should be possible to add it to Essentials. In fact, thinking about it previously I figured that it would probably just need some small edits to be compatible with the way Essentials sets up the player, and the slight change in naming conventions for stuff regarding the tilemap (that would probably only require a line or two of code to fix though). I may look into it eventually. Aside from those two things, it should otherwise work fine, since the scripts were created to be independent and can more or less just be copied from HMTK to wherever (though other custom scripts might conflict with it). I may see about working on that hopefully soon. Haven't had time to do any development for weeks because of my job.

romhunter
March 30th, 2013, 09:54 PM
I know this have been around for a few months, but can you make something which was in a lot of harvest moon but not yet in here? It's the stone ( Kappa stone, Goddess stone... ). Hope that you're still here

KitsuneKouta
March 30th, 2013, 10:08 PM
I know this have been around for a few months, but can you make something which was in a lot of harvest moon but not yet in here? It's the stone ( Kappa stone, Goddess stone... ). Hope that you're still hereI will certainly consider it. I haven't been around here for quite some time (basically not much since my last post in this thread, nearly 7 months ago. Nice necropost btw), and still don't quite have the free time to get back into the swing of things, but if and when I can I would still like to finish this, frills and all.

I'll be finishing my Master's degree program in about 3-4 weeks, so we'll see what happens then and where my motivation levels are. Maybe I'll even add some support for Pokemon Essentials. I probably won't be moving this to Ace any time in the near future, unless I somehow get the urge to purchase it (or there's a trial version and I can work fast enough to make the conversion before it runs out).

Perhaps I (or some other kind soul) need to compile a complete list of what hasn't been implemented yet. Also, anyone is free to contribute code to this project if they would like. I realize that many here don't have much programming expertise, so I won't hold my breathe, but I figured I would just re-iterate that.

romhunter
April 1st, 2013, 03:12 AM
I have some code but it's for rpg maker vx. I wonder if you could use that?

Dradier234
April 2nd, 2013, 03:22 PM
This looks great! Do you have any screenshots of your progress, because I don't see any. Then I might download it.

KitsuneKouta
April 4th, 2013, 04:12 PM
This looks great! Do you have any screenshots of your progress, because I don't see any. Then I might download it.I don't have any screenshots just yet, but I'll see about getting some up here soon. Funny enough, plenty of games around have in the past spent too much time on screenshots and videos, and not enough time on development. My problem was quite the opposite, as I have yet to do much documenting of the neat stuff this kit can do. There's quite a bit to it, but some of it is kind of hidden in the code. Maybe I'll get the time to write up some quick and dirty documentation on some of these things so that people know what they can actually do with it so far.

Good suggestion though. I had completely forgotten about doing that.

romhunter
April 9th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Can I take screenshot for you? I want in. I can't write script so this is atleast I can do

Nintendork15
April 10th, 2013, 02:50 AM
I don't have any screenshots just yet, but I'll see about getting some up here soon. Funny enough, plenty of games around have in the past spent too much time on screenshots and videos, and not enough time on development. My problem was quite the opposite, as I have yet to do much documenting of the neat stuff this kit can do. There's quite a bit to it, but some of it is kind of hidden in the code. Maybe I'll get the time to write up some quick and dirty documentation on some of these things so that people know what they can actually do with it so far.

Good suggestion though. I had completely forgotten about doing that.

I love this compeltely, can't wait to see your new progress, and/or a new release in the future.

Keep up the good work.

KitsuneKouta
April 10th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Can I take screenshot for you? I want in. I can't write script so this is atleast I can doFear not, screenshots are on the way. I started taking them but then started fixing things halfway through so that the screenshots would be more presentable. Depending on how things go, another release might be out in a couple weeks or so (although I also have the final project for my capstone class due during that time, so we'll see). There's already been a number of improvements since the last release, but there's a few major things I want to complete before the next one.

romhunter
April 10th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Can you rewrite the script to use with rpg maker vx ace? I have it but I don't know to write script ( damn Ruby. Why do you so hard)

KitsuneKouta
April 11th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Can you rewrite the script to use with rpg maker vx ace? I have it but I don't know to write script ( damn Ruby. Why do you so hard)I've considered it, however if I do it won't be until after it's finished in RMXP. I don't have Ace, and have no current plans to buy it, so I would basically be converting the project during the free trial and hoping it was finished in time. I don't imagine Ace being too much different from XP on the back end, but we'll see.

Screenshots should be up tonight if I finish the changes I've been making to the custom message system.

romhunter
April 11th, 2013, 05:05 AM
I have an extra copy. And I don't mind giving it away anyway. If you want it please pm me

KitsuneKouta
April 13th, 2013, 04:18 AM
I have an extra copy. And I don't mind giving it away anyway. If you want it please pm meThat would be awesome, thanks. However, I won't mess with it just yet. Not until this actually gets finished and can be ported over to the new program all at once.

Also, I do have some screenshots, but not the assortment I would like for featuring them on the front page. I need to make gifs out of some, shrink them, add more, etc etc, so for now here's a link to my images on ImageShack: http://imageshack.us/user/KitsuneKouta. I may not get around to taking screens of everything for a while, especially since some key features that should be showcased in the screenshots don't even exist yet.

romhunter
April 13th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Well, do you need spirites for chicken, dog, cat, horse and such? I can make or rip some from the game if you need. And some suggestion: please remove the stamina bar. It's rather annoying. And the item system, you could make it look like HM:FoMT. It's better than a guy holding an ax on his head. And if you need a mapper, I'm always here.

Varion Bluefire
April 14th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Ooooo!!
I love these screenshots. :I

Can't wait for next release.

KitsuneKouta
April 14th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Well, do you need spirites for chicken, dog, cat, horse and such? I can make or rip some from the game if you need. And some suggestion: please remove the stamina bar. It's rather annoying. And the item system, you could make it look like HM:FoMT. It's better than a guy holding an ax on his head. And if you need a mapper, I'm always here.Yes, sprites would help a lot actually if you can get them in the SNES style. I also need the cow (but I believe only the side sprites exist in-game. at least, that's all I could find) and a sheep. The sheep will have to come from another game and be re-sprited into the SNES style (One of the old GB games had a sheep that could be used. The FoMT sheep could also be devamped instead).

As for the stamina bar, that can be disabled in the settings. Just open the script editor, go down to the section called Settings, and find a constant with STAMINA_BAR in the name and make it false. It's currently coded to show the stamina bar by default, and tiredness animations if the stamina bar is disabled. However, there are no animations for that yet, so you won't have any indication of your remaining stamina.

The item system has already been partially re-written to be more like FoMT, so you won't hold tools over your head in the next release. It was initially designed to be like HM:MM, however it would require a lot of spriting to show the various tools in the player's hands in a visually appropriate way. Therefore, it will be downgraded to the FoMT style.

@Varion: those screenshots are only a tiny indication of what's in this project. The mountain where you can pick up items to ship in the shipping bin (and the shipping dude who comes and picks them up), the mine where you can dig for coins and stairs as well as break rocks for ores and gems, and the farming system which allows you to grow crops just like in the actual games weren't included in the screenshots just yet, so there's a lot more to love in the project itself.

romhunter
April 14th, 2013, 06:51 AM
I have one of HMDS. Maybe I can resize it? And for the beach, I want the beach cottage to be unlockable. Can you implement that? Unlockable things like house, seed or tools? And dog disk game too. It's good.

KitsuneKouta
April 14th, 2013, 12:17 PM
I have one of HMDS. Maybe I can resize it? And for the beach, I want the beach cottage to be unlockable. Can you implement that? Unlockable things like house, seed or tools? And dog disk game too. It's good.Whatever works I suppose. I would probably re-sprite it into SNES style though if I can get it to look right. As for extra locations and mini games, those will likely be the last things added if they are. Many of them are too game-specific, especially the festivals. However, the horse race will definitely be included (at least a generic one that people can customize for their game). The other stuff will be extras that may be implemented after all is finished.

As for functionality, I'm re-working how items behave a bit, and have hit a crossroads: should the item system emulate HM 64, HM FoMT, or HM DS? Both in terms of layout and item arrangement. In the first two, items and tools are separated (so empty item slots can't be used for items, and vice versa). In HM DS (and most newer HMs) tools and items share the same bag space, but you still have tools and items in different hand slots. So you can carry one item + one tool and the rucksack holds both items and tools at the same time in the same slots. I'm leaning more towards the last one, but wanted some input on this (and a great many other things, noted in the first post).

romhunter
April 14th, 2013, 09:40 PM
The HMDS style is a bit suck. And personally I prefer HM64& FoMT style. But other may like ds style. I think you should make it HM FoMT (I assume it's easier) and make one for HMDS but disabled it in the code. So people got many thing to choose from, right? After all, this is a tool kit :P

KitsuneKouta
April 15th, 2013, 03:24 AM
The HMDS style is a bit suck. And personally I prefer HM64& FoMT style. But other may like ds style. I think you should make it HM FoMT (I assume it's easier) and make one for HMDS but disabled it in the code. So people got many thing to choose from, right? After all, this is a tool kit :PJust to be clear, I was not referring to the graphics. The graphics will be in SNES style (or something comparable). I was referring to the way items actually work, where you have your rucksack with 15 slots, 5 of which are available from the start. You would be able to hold both items and tools together, instead of separately. So with 5 slots, you can have any combination of tools and items, instead of only half tools and half items. The actual menu appearance won't look like HM DS or HM FoMT, it would just be the behavior of the menu. Perhaps I should work on it a bit so you can see what I'm talking about. Besides that, specific graphical styles will be up to the user when this is finished. This is merely a functionality suite that users can put there own characters and graphics into, along with their own story, dialogue, events, etc.

romhunter
April 15th, 2013, 04:50 AM
I do mean that it should work like HM-FoMT. It has seperate items and tools slot. It's better to manage stuff and it's really nice. Don't have to search across thousands of stuff before get what you want

KitsuneKouta
April 15th, 2013, 02:30 PM
I do mean that it should work like HM-FoMT. It has seperate items and tools slot. It's better to manage stuff and it's really nice. Don't have to search across thousands of stuff before get what you wantOk, gotcha. I may make both eventually and make it selectable from the settings, to please a variety of fancies. Thanks for the suggestion.

romhunter
April 15th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Ok. Thanks. And Power Berries, can you make that? Almost every HM game that I play have that. And maker too. Cheese, yarn, canned and stuff like that?

KitsuneKouta
April 16th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Ok. Thanks. And Power Berries, can you make that? Almost every HM game that I play have that. And maker too. Cheese, yarn, canned and stuff like that?Power berries have already been implemented, and just need an animation to indicate when they are found. You can dig around the farm, the mine (I think), and fish for one if I remember right. As for the makers, those are very simple and will be on the way eventually.

romhunter
April 16th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Fruit trees, maybe? And Jewelery? Acessories?

romhunter
April 19th, 2013, 01:10 AM
And can I join this project to work with you?

Billy--
April 25th, 2013, 12:31 PM
It'd be nice to see the affection heart implemented eventually :/ I haven't had time to do much either, anything I can rip for you?

KitsuneKouta
May 4th, 2013, 05:02 AM
@romhunter: feel free to "join" the project. There's not really a team, so all contributions will be credited to individuals. It's a completely open source kit, so anyone is free to add things from the Harvest Moon series to it.

@Billy--: I would also like to see that implemented at some point. I've been stuck more on core systems work at the moment instead of the visual stuff, but it should be there eventually. Once the mechanics are in good order, the frills will be the next priority (which should finish things off for the most part).

OMG_RAWR!
June 22nd, 2013, 07:12 PM
I can't believ I JUST NOW found this, I'm a big big fan of harvest moon and I've wanted to make games like them for so long! I'm learning java and C++ to try and get a wrap on scripting and now I won't have to learn how to do ALL of this :] thank you so much! if I make any break through (which I doubt) I'll contribute. Keep this project going and alive! Lemme know what I can do to help!

OMG_RAWR!
July 3rd, 2013, 06:47 PM
Hey I just noticed the game will crash if you try picking turnips (probably any crops up) as well as a few other things. I did manage to get a derpy watering can refill to work after finding you had a plan to implement it in the script.

KitsuneKouta
July 30th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Hey I just noticed the game will crash if you try picking turnips (probably any crops up) as well as a few other things. I did manage to get a derpy watering can refill to work after finding you had a plan to implement it in the script.I only occasionally find the time and motivation to work on this project, but I do pop in once in a while and make a little progress. There are actually a number of bugs that have been introduced with the latest release, since I was right in the midst of transitioning several of the major systems into new and more efficient logic. Most of the fixes aren't too difficult if you are familiar with the ins and outs of this project, but I will hopefully manage to get around to it and make it a little more complete. Thanks for the interest in the project. Glad to see that there are still those who enjoy it.

KitsuneKouta
February 19th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Version 2.1 has been released. The download link in the first post has been updated.

-it now snows instead of raining in winter
-debug_set_time added
-debug_set_season now recalculates weather
-weather effects now update outdoors too if you switch weather mid-day (for debug_set_season)
-tile changes are now instantly visible when revisiting a map, instead of taking a little less than a second to load (not a big difference, but more professional).
-text should no longer beep repeatedly when a choice box is displaying
-when a message box is followed by two choice boxes in a row, a blank text box no longer displays for the second one.
-some extra error messages added
-added more comments to code
-removed debug toolbox that gave the player items
-added fisherman event to get fishing pole
-player now starts with some tools in their toolbox (like in the official games. can be customized in Settings)
-season-changing signs removed from mountain
-player can now interface with the toolbox in their house to grab and store tools (only holds 8 tools for now)
-additional tools can be bought in the shops (including seasonal seeds)
-you can now check if the player is indoors or outdoors with $game_player.outdoors?
-time now stops when indoors (can be disabled in settings)
-time can now be stopped at will any time for an indefinite period (without pausing the game) with $time.frozen=true (use false to unfreeze time). may be useful for events, cutscenes, festivals, etc.
-number of floors in mine can now be specified in settings
-you can now obtain appropriate items when breaking rocks in the mine
-digging up coins in the mine adds the money to your wallet instead of giving you a coin bag
-the custom message system now supports displaying variables with \v[n], gold with \g in messages and player name
with \pn.
-fixed Input Number event command for the custom message system
-custom message system is now more abstract, to make applications more versatile
-tile manipulation has been simplified, to make tool code shorter and more readable.
-tiles on foreign maps can be manipulated at will (but the player must have visited the map at least once).
-custom choice box code has been added (only used by Title screen at present)
-NPC affection has been updated, and colored hearts now appear when speaking to available bachelors/bachelorettes
-colored hearts that appear when spreaking to bachelors/bachelorettes can be disabled in settings
-added Mayonnaise Maker, Yarn Maker, and Cheese Maker, as well as Mayonnaise, Yarn, and Cheese as items. The makers
are activated with conditional switches for convenience.
-rucksack has been split into separate sections for tools and items. They can be accessed with $game_player.rucksack["items"] and $game_player.rucksack["tools"] respectively.
-added item descriptions (used in the new rucksack menu)
-changed $time to $world and class Time_and_Date to class World, because $time.weather made no sense.
-re-wrote tool code
-tools now use up some stamina
-watering can is now refillable when facing the watering hole and pressing the "Cancel / Use Tool" button
-cutting lumber with the axe now awards lumber (1 per stick, 6 per stump)
-can now display lumber count with \lumber in messages (used in the sign next to the lumber box)
-stumps can now be placed in the mountain as events and will automatically respawn daily
-chicken feed can now be retrieved from a feed box in the chicken coop like fodder from the barn

This update was about 50% complete several months ago, but was promptly delayed after I started working full time. I got a little bit of motivation to revisit this, so I tied things up a bit worked through the to do list a bit further. The more I fixed or added, the larger the to do list grew, so I figured now was as good a time as any to post an update.

As always, let me know if you find any bugs or errors. There are bound to be some new ones after so many internal changes. I'll try to keep this alive as much as motivation allows, and add more features as I go. There's just a few major features left, such as marriage, building upgrades (the house most importantly), and horse riding, before a complete game can be made with this. After that is a never-ending list of little things to work on.

Enjoy!

Pokemon Trainer Jackey
February 20th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Sweet! I was starting to wonder if this project was still active, and you answered my question. ^o^ I want to play with this after I get more experience with Pokemon Essentials, so I'm looking forward to playing with this eventually. Thank you for all your hard work on this.

KitsuneKouta
February 26th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Minor update, so you guys know I'm still working on this.

A fully functional greenhouse has been finished, and best of all it spawns dynamically (i.e. it does not exist in the map data, not even the door event, until it is unlocked). This will likely become the groundwork for eventual building upgrades (such as for your house, barn, coop, etc). Direct tile and event manipulation on maps using code rather than the point and click functionality of RMXP is mostly sorted out, but I have plans to eventually make it a little more flexible and seamless so everyone can use it without too much trouble.

I've also worked out a couple of minor bugs (though I'm certain there are more), and am planning to finally bring back the ability to ride a horse. It was partially finished in an earlier version, but was too buggy and was subsequently removed. Swimming may also be in the pipeline. I'm planning for a minor release (v2.3), so the major remaining features like marriage, children, basic festivals, building upgrades, etc, likely won't be finished until the next major release (v3.0).

As always, if you'd like to contribute anything, feel free to do so. Even simple things like finding (or better yet, fixing!) bugs would be great. There's also a sore lack of music to provide atmosphere, and character dialog is incredibly limited and basic. If you'd like to help with dialog for the various characters, let me know and I'll get you pointed in the right direction. Also, if anyone has mapping skills and wants to make the test maps look better, that would be awesome.

Varion Bluefire
March 2nd, 2014, 08:29 AM
Minor update, so you guys know I'm still working on this.

A fully functional greenhouse has been finished, and best of all it spawns dynamically (i.e. it does not exist in the map data, not even the door event, until it is unlocked). This will likely become the groundwork for eventual building upgrades (such as for your house, barn, coop, etc). Direct tile and event manipulation on maps using code rather than the point and click functionality of RMXP is mostly sorted out, but I have plans to eventually make it a little more flexible and seamless so everyone can use it without too much trouble.

I've also worked out a couple of minor bugs (though I'm certain there are more), and am planning to finally bring back the ability to ride a horse. It was partially finished in an earlier version, but was too buggy and was subsequently removed. Swimming may also be in the pipeline. I'm planning for a minor release (v2.3), so the major remaining features like marriage, children, basic festivals, building upgrades, etc, likely won't be finished until the next major release (v3.0).

As always, if you'd like to contribute anything, feel free to do so. Even simple things like finding (or better yet, fixing!) bugs would be great. There's also a sore lack of music to provide atmosphere, and character dialog is incredibly limited and basic. If you'd like to help with dialog for the various characters, let me know and I'll get you pointed in the right direction. Also, if anyone has mapping skills and wants to make the test maps look better, that would be awesome.

I can try help supply Harvest Moon Music from various harvest moon games, if you need it?

KitsuneKouta
March 2nd, 2014, 05:01 PM
I can try help supply Harvest Moon Music from various harvest moon games, if you need it?That would be great actually. I don't remember 100% for sure how each harvest moon does music, but I do remember HM:64 off the top of my head. I've already got the title screen music (from HM:64), which leaves:

Farm and minor area BGM (1 for each season. I may need to code seasonal music)
Town BGM
Mountain BGM
Ocean BGS (Not music, just the sound of waves)
Goddess Spring BGM (there's no dedicated map for it right now though)
Some festival BGM

I would almost say HM:64 music is preferable, being so iconic, but as long as it's a consistent set from one particular game or another, I am fine with music from any of the games. It could be SNES music, HM:64, HM:FOMT, etc. If it's not from HM:64, I'll also need title screen music. Any or all of the above are fine, so if you can only find a couple, it's not a problem. I will add whatever I get. If it comes from somewhere online, please include any applicable credits from the source so I can credit them as well as you for the music.

Xili
March 27th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Hello May i ask something?. i get an error when using hoe on the same tile twice.

KitsuneKouta
March 28th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Hello May i ask something?. i get an error when using hoe on the same tile twice.Thanks for the tip! I've addressed the issue, and the fix will be in the next release. For clarity, if you use the hoe on a tile that's already been tilled, it will crash as you experienced. Using the hoe repeatedly anywhere else should be fine.

Xili
March 28th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the tip! I've addressed the issue, and the fix will be in the next release. For clarity, if you use the hoe on a tile that's already been tilled, it will crash as you experienced. Using the hoe repeatedly anywhere else should be fine.

Oh yeah also i think there's an error when we give villager an item...

Im new here pleased to meet all of you

Xili
March 28th, 2014, 04:10 PM
If we remove 2 from if tile2==TILES["Seeds"] on line 172 script tool i think the problem for using hoe on same place twice will be fixed

KitsuneKouta
April 2nd, 2014, 08:25 PM
If we remove 2 from if tile2==TILES["Seeds"] on line 172 script tool i think the problem for using hoe on same place twice will be fixedI'll check out the issue with giving a villager an item. I did a lot of reworking of core functionality, so it's likely an artifact left over from the old code.

Also, yes, removing that line would fix the error in that spot, however I think it may cause some undesirable behavior. tile2 refers to the tile on the second layer in this case, which is where seeds should go, so you may lose the ability to dig up seeds with the hoe. Alternatively, you can grab the line of code that assigns tile2 below the block the error occurred in and move it up just below the other tile= assignment. This would make it available in the whole method, instead of it being defined within the second block. That's basically all I did to fix it.

And before I forget, welcome to PC!

Xili
April 3rd, 2014, 01:17 PM
I'll check out the issue with giving a villager an item. I did a lot of reworking of core functionality, so it's likely an artifact left over from the old code.

Also, yes, removing that line would fix the error in that spot, however I think it may cause some undesirable behavior. tile2 refers to the tile on the second layer in this case, which is where seeds should go, so you may lose the ability to dig up seeds with the hoe. Alternatively, you can grab the line of code that assigns tile2 below the block the error occurred in and move it up just below the other tile= assignment. This would make it available in the whole method, instead of it being defined within the second block. That's basically all I did to fix it.

And before I forget, welcome to PC!

I see. okay i'll try it. Oh by the way where i can get the graphic for this game?. I don't have mayor's face.

This is an interesting project could i join?. Maybe i can be the tester if you don't mind ^_^

KitsuneKouta
April 7th, 2014, 07:53 AM
I see. okay i'll try it. Oh by the way where i can get the graphic for this game?. I don't have mayor's face.

This is an interesting project could i join?. Maybe i can be the tester if you don't mind ^_^For graphics, there's a few routes you can take. You can try The Spriter's Resource, which has graphic rips for tons of games, ripping your own with an emulator (legality is questionable at best), or requesting them in the resources section (http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=222) of this forum. I'm not sure how much luck you'll have requesting them here though, as resources tend to primarily be Pokemon oriented.

As far as joining goes, there's no official team. It's a completely open project, so whoever wants it can download and modify as they like. If you come up with new scripts, bug fixes, maps, or have resources to contribute, etc, they will be credited appropriately in the first post if I add them to the project. As far as testing goes, anyone is free to do so. If contributions are meaningful in quality and quantity, say a significant amount of bug finding from testing, resources, script development, map making, etc, I may designate individuals as team members for their contributions, rather than just contributors.

One thing that may be helpful at this point is for users (including yourself if you like) to attempt making something of a game of what's currently developed. You should quickly find missing features, limitations, or bugs in doing so (and I also plan to do so eventually). Things like attempting to add new characters, creating additional working farm and mine maps, new animals, new crops, etc, should help reveal any unnecessary complexity or bugs. Any and all contributions are welcome, so feel free to contribute whatever you like as motivation dictates.

Also, a wiki would likely prove to be an immense help eventually. It would be a great place to include the basics of how things work, how to add new stuff (i.e. crops, animals, etc), what the controls are, what's been implemented, bug tracking, etc. I may do so if motivation allows it, or if someone else would like to, they would have a golden spot on the contributor/team member list.

Xili
April 7th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Well if that the case, i have some favor to ask. Could you change notification when we get power berry into conversation text like when we talked to villager instead of notification from program.Its kinda weird for me but since i don't really understand the script

Oh yeah recently i download two project of yours but when i open the new one there's an error when i talked to Mayor...I don't know why the first run smoothly

KitsuneKouta
April 7th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Well if that the case, i have some favor to ask. Could you change notification when we get power berry into conversation text like when we talked to villager instead of notification from program.Its kinda weird for me but since i don't really understand the script

Oh yeah recently i download two project of yours but when i open the new one there's an error when i talked to Mayor...I don't know why the first run smoothlyI tracked down the problem with the mayor. If you check the Villagers data module (in the script editor, find ---Data Modules--- and open the Villagers section), you'll see that the Messages module only has data for two villagers, numbered 0 and 1. In the Names module at the very top, you can see that 0 is Ann and 1 is Ellen, but the mayor is number 5 (which doesn't exist in the Messages module). I haven't got around to loading much for conversations. Only the mechanics behind them. It seems I removed the error catching bit when redoing some of the message system this last time, but I put it back now so that any character should at least say that their message data is missing instead of crashing. It can be fixed by adding another item to the Messages module numbered 5, and filling in text just like 0 and 1 have for Ann and Ellen. It's tricky business if you aren't familiar with code though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Though if you'd like to contribute conversation text, that would be awesome. It's separated out by season and affection lvl at the moment, and eventually there should be weather conversation as well. If you have any or want to write some, I'd be more than happy to add it.

Eventually, I think it would be best to move out the text data into txt files. Perhaps each villager having their own named txt file. I'll need to write a tutorial on how to insert your own text for villagers at some point to make this easier to do. Perhaps once I start up a wiki, so I don't clutter the main thread here.

As for showing a text box for power berries instead of a debug message, it's a piece of cake. I'll have it in the next release. Basically, instead of p "Some message" you'll need to change it to Kernel.show_text("Some message"), which uses my custom message system. I went ahead and changed it but there's still more work that needs to be done for power berries, which is the reason I hadn't updated that yet. I haven't implemented the eating animation and I don't think I have the sound effect yet, so I had been putting it off until I could finish it in one go.

Xili
April 8th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I tracked down the problem with the mayor. If you check the Villagers data module (in the script editor, find ---Data Modules--- and open the Villagers section), you'll see that the Messages module only has data for two villagers, numbered 0 and 1. In the Names module at the very top, you can see that 0 is Ann and 1 is Ellen, but the mayor is number 5 (which doesn't exist in the Messages module). I haven't got around to loading much for conversations. Only the mechanics behind them. It seems I removed the error catching bit when redoing some of the message system this last time, but I put it back now so that any character should at least say that their message data is missing instead of crashing. It can be fixed by adding another item to the Messages module numbered 5, and filling in text just like 0 and 1 have for Ann and Ellen. It's tricky business if you aren't familiar with code though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Though if you'd like to contribute conversation text, that would be awesome. It's separated out by season and affection lvl at the moment, and eventually there should be weather conversation as well. If you have any or want to write some, I'd be more than happy to add it.

Eventually, I think it would be best to move out the text data into txt files. Perhaps each villager having their own named txt file. I'll need to write a tutorial on how to insert your own text for villagers at some point to make this easier to do. Perhaps once I start up a wiki, so I don't clutter the main thread here.

As for showing a text box for power berries instead of a debug message, it's a piece of cake. I'll have it in the next release. Basically, instead of p "Some message" you'll need to change it to Kernel.show_text("Some message"), which uses my custom message system. I went ahead and changed it but there's still more work that needs to be done for power berries, which is the reason I hadn't updated that yet. I haven't implemented the eating animation and I don't think I have the sound effect yet, so I had been putting it off until I could finish it in one go.

Ok about Mayor its already fixed...but still getting error when gave the villager item..
And maybe about the text conversation i can help but after i finished my first job. i think weather conversation is very important cause many HM game's NPC affected by weather, the fastest that thing come the better it i think.

Okay i'll try to make it as fast as i can.
I'll send you after it done oh do you want to add another character? I suggest we can put extra marriageable character on HM in this game but in different village ex. Celia would be unlocked when certain event is happened

Xili
April 8th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Kitsune Kouta-san I already PM you with my work

KitsuneKouta
April 8th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Ok about Mayor its already fixed...but still getting error when gave the villager item..
And maybe about the text conversation i can help but after i finished my first job. i think weather conversation is very important cause many HM game's NPC affected by weather, the fastest that thing come the better it i think.

Okay i'll try to make it as fast as i can.
I'll send you after it done oh do you want to add another character? I suggest we can put extra marriageable character on HM in this game but in different village ex. Celia would be unlocked when certain event is happenedThe error when giving an item should be the same issue as the error when talking to the mayor. There's another element in the Villagers module that corresponds to the villager's preferences. When you give them an item, it will attempt to determine if they like it, dislike it, love it, hate it, etc, and display a message accordingly. However, just the same as not having text for villager number 5 (the mayor) in the Messages array is a problem, it's also a problem when it's missing in the Preferences and Reactions arrays. It will first check Preferences for villager 5 and determine how they feel about it based on the position of the item id, and then find the corresponding reaction message. I fixed it with the error catching I put back in, and moreover I will likely be re-writing that functionality a bit to make it more user-friendly.

As for characters, I haven't been too concerned about adding specific ones. The point of HMTK is to be a general starter kit that you can use, swapping in your own characters, etc, as desired to make a Harvest Moon (or Rune Factory) game with. If I spend much time on specific characters or minor features, the overall project would be delayed further. It should be noted that this will not be a game of its own, but instead a development kit for making Harvest Moon games. For that reason, there won't be much in the way of events or unlockables, etc. Items, features, characters, etc, are all made available from the beginning for debugging and learning how the features work. That said, I am planning to use the kit once finished to make a game, at which point things like specific characters, events, locations, etc, would be relevant, but for the purposes of the kit I'm trying to focus as much on underlying mechanics as possible and using filler for everything else so that it at least has some semblance to the official games.

Xili
April 9th, 2014, 12:37 PM
The error when giving an item should be the same issue as the error when talking to the mayor. There's another element in the Villagers module that corresponds to the villager's preferences. When you give them an item, it will attempt to determine if they like it, dislike it, love it, hate it, etc, and display a message accordingly. However, just the same as not having text for villager number 5 (the mayor) in the Messages array is a problem, it's also a problem when it's missing in the Preferences and Reactions arrays. It will first check Preferences for villager 5 and determine how they feel about it based on the position of the item id, and then find the corresponding reaction message. I fixed it with the error catching I put back in, and moreover I will likely be re-writing that functionality a bit to make it more user-friendly.

As for characters, I haven't been too concerned about adding specific ones. The point of HMTK is to be a general starter kit that you can use, swapping in your own characters, etc, as desired to make a Harvest Moon (or Rune Factory) game with. If I spend much time on specific characters or minor features, the overall project would be delayed further. It should be noted that this will not be a game of its own, but instead a development kit for making Harvest Moon games. For that reason, there won't be much in the way of events or unlockables, etc. Items, features, characters, etc, are all made available from the beginning for debugging and learning how the features work. That said, I am planning to use the kit once finished to make a game, at which point things like specific characters, events, locations, etc, would be relevant, but for the purposes of the kit I'm trying to focus as much on underlying mechanics as possible and using filler for everything else so that it at least has some semblance to the official games.

Well thanks i have tried it and fixed that. Is there someway to make a conversation instead of Hated item or liked item on conversation box?

Hmm yeah i know i mean not specific character I mean if there's feature that allow you to add character with additonal requerement that would be great i think..

Ah i also forgot. Is there any blacksmith on this game?

KitsuneKouta
April 10th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Well thanks i have tried it and fixed that. Is there someway to make a conversation instead of Hated item or liked item on conversation box?

Hmm yeah i know i mean not specific character I mean if there's feature that allow you to add character with additonal requerement that would be great i think..

Ah i also forgot. Is there any blacksmith on this game?There is no blacksmith yet, but one will be added when ore-based tool levels are implemented properly. I generally only add new characters as necessary to support underlying functionality, so there's currently a few missing.

As for adding new characters with requirements, that will most likely have to be handled with standard RMXP event functionality such as switches and variables. Villagers are relatively simple, as they have only a single method call to handle all of their functionality (Villager.interact). As for moving, appearing certain times/places, that will be up to the developer of the individual game to take care of, just like in any other RMXP-based project. Villagers are merely events, and as such their motions, appearance, location, etc, can be handled with standard event functionality.

Highly specific conditions, such as character x appearing after event y is far too narrow to be possible in a standard kit. The event is whatever you make it, and will vary greatly from game to game, so simply setting a switch when the event occurs would allow you to control the villager event's appearance with out of the box functionality. You may want to check into some RMXP eventing tutorials for a deeper understanding of how much you can do with it, as this is very definitely the type of thing it exists for.

As for displaying conversation text when giving an item to a villager, it is controlled in the Reactions array in the Villagers module. The Preferences array I mentioned before only determines whether they like it, and the Reactions array determines what they say based on that result. You should find the exact text you are seeing in that array (for each villager number), and should be able to change it to whatever you like.

Xili
April 10th, 2014, 12:46 PM
There is no blacksmith yet, but one will be added when ore-based tool levels are implemented properly. I generally only add new characters as necessary to support underlying functionality, so there's currently a few missing.

As for adding new characters with requirements, that will most likely have to be handled with standard RMXP event functionality such as switches and variables. Villagers are relatively simple, as they have only a single method call to handle all of their functionality (Villager.interact). As for moving, appearing certain times/places, that will be up to the developer of the individual game to take care of, just like in any other RMXP-based project. Villagers are merely events, and as such their motions, appearance, location, etc, can be handled with standard event functionality.

Highly specific conditions, such as character x appearing after event y is far too narrow to be possible in a standard kit. The event is whatever you make it, and will vary greatly from game to game, so simply setting a switch when the event occurs would allow you to control the villager event's appearance with out of the box functionality. You may want to check into some RMXP eventing tutorials for a deeper understanding of how much you can do with it, as this is very definitely the type of thing it exists for.

As for displaying conversation text when giving an item to a villager, it is controlled in the Reactions array in the Villagers module. The Preferences array I mentioned before only determines whether they like it, and the Reactions array determines what they say based on that result. You should find the exact text you are seeing in that array (for each villager number), and should be able to change it to whatever you like.

I'll try it thanks oh yeah about fishing, when the fishing system would come?

KitsuneKouta
April 10th, 2014, 01:54 PM
I'll try it thanks oh yeah about fishing, when the fishing system would come?The fishing system should already be there and working, albeit a little buggy. If you go to the mountain and talk to the fisherman, he'll give you a fishing pole. You can use it in the water right next to him, or in the lake at the bottom of the mine.

In the very first post of this thread, I have a section that outlines what functionality is already in place. I try to keep it updated, so you should be able to see what is and isn't finished by checking there. There's quite a bit of other info there as well, so it may be helpful to check it out.

Xili
April 11th, 2014, 12:46 PM
The fishing system should already be there and working, albeit a little buggy. If you go to the mountain and talk to the fisherman, he'll give you a fishing pole. You can use it in the water right next to him, or in the lake at the bottom of the mine.

In the very first post of this thread, I have a section that outlines what functionality is already in place. I try to keep it updated, so you should be able to see what is and isn't finished by checking there. There's quite a bit of other info there as well, so it may be helpful to check it out.

But whenever i tried to use my fishing rod it won't work. The character do nothing. I tried went to beach and got nothing

KitsuneKouta
April 11th, 2014, 01:46 PM
But whenever i tried to use my fishing rod it won't work. The character do nothing. I tried went to beach and got nothingLooks like that one's a bug. I recently re-wrote large portions of tool code and abstracted some things, but didn't get around to updating the fishing pole. In the Fishing_Rod class, you just need to find the use method and make this the first line of that method: super(x,y,tool_charge). That should fix your issue. If you were to walk into the water, instead of standing next to it, you would actually be able to use it as well.

Also note that fishing is terrain tag based. Terrain tag 1 identifies water as having fish, so any tile you assign that tag to will allow the fishing pole to be used. You can't, for instance, fish in the watering hole on the farm. This is because it uses terrain tag 2 (for refilling the watering can) instead of terrain tag 1.

Xili
April 16th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Looks like that one's a bug. I recently re-wrote large portions of tool code and abstracted some things, but didn't get around to updating the fishing pole. In the Fishing_Rod class, you just need to find the use method and make this the first line of that method: super(x,y,tool_charge). That should fix your issue. If you were to walk into the water, instead of standing next to it, you would actually be able to use it as well.

Also note that fishing is terrain tag based. Terrain tag 1 identifies water as having fish, so any tile you assign that tag to will allow the fishing pole to be used. You can't, for instance, fish in the watering hole on the farm. This is because it uses terrain tag 2 (for refilling the watering can) instead of terrain tag 1.

Okay Fixed...also i think there's an error on when getting Junk item and i tried to add Junk item on Fish Data module and it work. Is this add thing okay?

And when we get squid there's double character bug. The one is holding squid while the other still fishing but on 2-3 second the one who still fishing gone.

KitsuneKouta
April 16th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Okay Fixed...also i think there's an error on when getting Junk item and i tried to add Junk item on Fish Data module and it work. Is this add thing okay?

And when we get squid there's double character bug. The one is holding squid while the other still fishing but on 2-3 second the one who still fishing gone.I discovered the issue with junk items about 2 weeks ago, and have a fix for that as well. In the Tools section around line 605, you'll see item=[rand(Fish_Data::Junk[0].length)-1,0].max. Fish_Data needs to be changed to Item_Data. Junk used to be in the Fish_Data module, but I pulled it out recently. Your approach would work but you also need to create all of the junk entries there if you do that. They already exist in the Item_Data module though, so it's not necessary.

The double sprite bug seems to occur if you reel in too quickly. I've confirmed that it happens with any fish. I'll work on that for the next release.

Thanks for keeping up with the bug finding!

Xili
April 17th, 2014, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=KitsuneKouta;8200978]I discovered the issue with junk items about 2 weeks ago, and have a fix for that as well. In the Tools section around line 605, you'll see item=[rand(Fish_Data::Junk[0].length)-1,0].max. Fish_Data needs to be changed to Item_Data. Junk used to be in the Fish_Data module, but I pulled it out recently. Your approach would work but you also need to create all of the junk entries there if you do that. They already exist in the Item_Data module though, so it's not necessary.

The double sprite bug seems to occur if you reel in too quickly. I've confirmed that it happens with any fish. I'll work on that for the next release.

Thanks for keeping up with the bug finding![/QUOTE
I think thats ocurred not only when fishing other tools like hoe also like that. I try to press the working button repeatedly and walk around and the graphic would double itself and sometime would freeze the game.

KitsuneKouta
April 17th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I think thats ocurred not only when fishing other tools like hoe also like that. I try to press the working button repeatedly and walk around and the graphic would double itself and sometime would freeze the game.Ah I remember that. So the problem there is with the way that animations work. I have it hide the player, play an animation from the standard RMXP database (I think fishing may be a little different), and then make the player appear again. The animations sometimes behave a little funny though, so I'll have to mess with them in general to get them working overall.

The freezing on tool usage is one I've encountered on rare occasions, but I haven't found the circumstances in which it actually happens. It may take some time to figure out the deal there.

Xili
April 17th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Ah I remember that. So the problem there is with the way that animations work. I have it hide the player, play an animation from the standard RMXP database (I think fishing may be a little different), and then make the player appear again. The animations sometimes behave a little funny though, so I'll have to mess with them in general to get them working overall.

The freezing on tool usage is one I've encountered on rare occasions, but I haven't found the circumstances in which it actually happens. It may take some time to figure out the deal there.

Well on my case it only happen twice. But maybe after the graphic fixed freeze wouldn't be there again

Billy--
April 18th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Don't want to ask such a stupid question, but how to you access the Settings? I want to move the heart portraits over just a little, anddd how can you replace the character portraits? I want to use the ones from HMDS, but if I go and save them into the file, they're nowhere to be seen on the main RPG XP game.

KitsuneKouta
April 18th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Don't want to ask such a stupid question, but how to you access the Settings? I want to move the heart portraits over just a little, anddd how can you replace the character portraits? I want to use the ones from HMDS, but if I go and save them into the file, they're nowhere to be seen on the main RPG XP game.To get to the Settings area, open RMXP and either press the Script Editor icon in the menu or press F11. If you scroll down the list of classes on the left, you'll see ===Harvest Moon Utilities==, and right below that is Settings. Clicking that will open the Settings where you can make any desired changes.

Note that moving the graphics around isn't quite so straightforward. You actually have to edit the message system a little to accomplish this. Two sections down from Settings is Text_Window. Click on that and find lines 84 and 85. It should look like this:
@heart.x=Graphics.width-152-24
@heart.y=Graphics.height-120-24
You can update the numbers in red until it's in the position you like.

To replace the character portraits, you first need to make sure that the appropriate picture exists in the Graphics/Faces folder. It must have the exact same name as the villager it will show up for. So for Ann, it must be named Ann.png, and for Ellen it must be Ellen.png. To find out for sure which name you need, go back to the script editor (F11) and scroll down until you see --------Data Modules----------. Just below that is a section called Villagers. When you open that section, there should be an array at the very top that looks like this:
Names=
[
0 => ["Ann"],
1 => ["Ellen"],
2 => ["Eve"],
3 => ["Maria"],
4 => ["Nina"],
5 => ["Mayor"]
]
These represent the in-game names of the various villages. The name of your face graphics must match exactly with the name in this array. So long as everything matches up, you should see your new face graphic instead of the default ones I included. Also note that if you are adding a new villager, there will be a little more work involved. There will be several places in this script section that have to be updated to make a fully functional villager, but you can refer to the existing examples there to see how it's done.

Well on my case it only happen twice. But maybe after the graphic fixed freeze wouldn't be there again
If you happen to figure out the exact circumstances in which it happens next time (i.e. using two different tools consecutively, using one tool too fast, or targeting a specific tile, etc), let me know and I'll check it out. It may just an issue with the built in RMXP animation functionality. It's given me some other strange issues, such as defaulting to sub instead of normal which distorts the color of the images. It may be easier to write a custom animations handler instead, but that would take some time.

Billy--
April 18th, 2014, 12:09 PM
To get to the Settings area, open RMXP and either press the Script Editor icon in the menu or press F11. If you scroll down the list of classes on the left, you'll see ===Harvest Moon Utilities==, and right below that is Settings. Clicking that will open the Settings where you can make any desired changes.

Note that moving the graphics around isn't quite so straightforward. You actually have to edit the message system a little to accomplish this. Two sections down from Settings is Text_Window. Click on that and find lines 84 and 85. It should look like this:
@heart.x=Graphics.width-152-24
@heart.y=Graphics.height-120-24
You can update the numbers in red until it's in the position you like.

To replace the character portraits, you first need to make sure that the appropriate picture exists in the Graphics/Faces folder. It must have the exact same name as the villager it will show up for. So for Ann, it must be named Ann.png, and for Ellen it must be Ellen.png. To find out for sure which name you need, go back to the script editor (F11) and scroll down until you see --------Data Modules----------. Just below that is a section called Villagers. When you open that section, there should be an array at the very top that looks like this:
Names=
[
0 => ["Ann"],
1 => ["Ellen"],
2 => ["Eve"],
3 => ["Maria"],
4 => ["Nina"],
5 => ["Mayor"]
]
These represent the in-game names of the various villages. The name of your face graphics must match exactly with the name in this array. So long as everything matches up, you should see your new face graphic instead of the default ones I included. Also note that if you are adding a new villager, there will be a little more work involved. There will be several places in this script section that have to be updated to make a fully functional villager, but you can refer to the existing examples there to see how it's done.

If you happen to figure out the exact circumstances in which it happens next time (i.e. using two different tools consecutively, using one tool too fast, or targeting a specific tile, etc), let me know and I'll check it out. It may just an issue with the built in RMXP animation functionality. It's given me some other strange issues, such as defaulting to sub instead of normal which distorts the color of the images. It may be easier to write a custom animations handler instead, but that would take some time.

Alright! Figured out how to move the hearts around, and I'm experimenting with the villagers...Trying to insert Karen now... I have two more questions, and then I'll scram...

1) Is increasing the speed the hearts beat possible? It'd probably be in the settings too, correct?

2) What is the script or event that is being activated to make all the weeds, sticks, and stones appear on the farm? I'd like to apply that to areas in my game to make farm plots available all over the mountain, but I want sticks and stones to be there, first.

KitsuneKouta
April 18th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Alright! Figured out how to move the hearts around, and I'm experimenting with the villagers...Trying to insert Karen now... I have two more questions, and then I'll scram...

1) Is increasing the speed the hearts beat possible? It'd probably be in the settings too, correct?

2) What is the script or event that is being activated to make all the weeds, sticks, and stones appear on the farm? I'd like to apply that to areas in my game to make farm plots available all over the mountain, but I want sticks and stones to be there, first.If you want to change the speed at which the hearts animate, you'll need to go back to that Text_Window section (the same place you moved the hearts around), and on line 110 you should see if @frame_count % 10 == 0. You can change the 10 to another number to adjust the speed. If you set it to 5, for example, it should animate at double speed. Setting it to 20 should cut the speed in half.

The code that spawns weeds, sticks, etc is stored in a handful of methods; one for each type of item. They are in my custom Game_Map section under --------Extensions--------, and are named spawn_weeds, spawn_rocks, spawn_sticks, spawn_boulders, and spawn_stumps. These methods specifically target the basic tillable soil tile, so you must be using that tile for it to work. To add your desired maps to the list of those that are targeted by this functionality, you can find references to FARM_MAP_NAME in the code and add the names of your maps as conditions. This will also allow your tools to work as well, as they are designed to only function on the farm or in the Greenhouse at the moment (which you'll see in the upcoming release).

I would, however, advise against doing that just yet. You may run into an issue with the initial spawn, as right now it flags the map has having spawned everything on the first day when you first enter the farm, and subsequently won't perform that routine ever again in that playthrough (unless I add that functionality to typhoons). Disabling this will cause repetitive spawning and over-crowd your farm each time you visit it, namely if you don't visit ALL other maps that you want this functionality for on the first day too. I'll work out a change so that you can specify all maps this can occur on, instead of strictly on the farm. It should be ready in the next release.

If you want a solution that will hold you over in the mean time, you can call those methods in an event. Just setup an autorun event and put this in a script command:

$game_map.spawn_stumps
$game_map.spawn_boulders
$game_map.spawn_weeds
$game_map.spawn_rocks
$game_map.spawn_sticksThis will only run once though, so weeds won't spawn there daily. That's handled in the next_day method which will require a little bit of logic to support arbitrary maps.

Billy--
April 18th, 2014, 02:51 PM
If you want to change the speed at which the hearts animate, you'll need to go back to that Text_Window section (the same place you moved the hearts around), and on line 110 you should see if @frame_count % 10 == 0. You can change the 10 to another number to adjust the speed. If you set it to 5, for example, it should animate at double speed. Setting it to 20 should cut the speed in half.

The code that spawns weeds, sticks, etc is stored in a handful of methods; one for each type of item. They are in my custom Game_Map section under --------Extensions--------, and are named spawn_weeds, spawn_rocks, spawn_sticks, spawn_boulders, and spawn_stumps. These methods specifically target the basic tillable soil tile, so you must be using that tile for it to work. To add your desired maps to the list of those that are targeted by this functionality, you can find references to FARM_MAP_NAME in the code and add the names of your maps as conditions. This will also allow your tools to work as well, as they are designed to only function on the farm or in the Greenhouse at the moment (which you'll see in the upcoming release).

I would, however, advise against doing that just yet. You may run into an issue with the initial spawn, as right now it flags the map has having spawned everything on the first day when you first enter the farm, and subsequently won't perform that routine ever again in that playthrough (unless I add that functionality to typhoons). Disabling this will cause repetitive spawning and over-crowd your farm each time you visit it, namely if you don't visit ALL other maps that you want this functionality for on the first day too. I'll work out a change so that you can specify all maps this can occur on, instead of strictly on the farm. It should be ready in the next release.

If you want a solution that will hold you over in the mean time, you can call those methods in an event. Just setup an autorun event and put this in a script command:

$game_map.spawn_stumps
$game_map.spawn_boulders
$game_map.spawn_weeds
$game_map.spawn_rocks
$game_map.spawn_sticksThis will only run once though, so weeds won't spawn there daily. That's handled in the next_day method which will require a little bit of logic to support arbitrary maps.

Alright! I got the hearts at the speed I want, and I'm trying to look into doing a Dual screen game, which would be cool. (I want to give it an HMDS feel).

Implementing a save state would be cool, too. My game freezes when I access the diary's save state. :) Everything takes time, though.

KitsuneKouta
April 18th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Alright! I got the hearts at the speed I want, and I'm trying to look into doing a Dual screen game, which would be cool. (I want to give it an HMDS feel).

Implementing a save state would be cool, too. My game freezes when I access the diary's save state. :) Everything takes time, though.For dual screen, you may be able to nab the code from a dual screen script floating around. I don't imagine it would be that hard. Just make sure you give credits to whoever made it ;)

I keep forgetting to fix the save/load function. It's been broken for, literally, years D: I may try and get it going pretty soon. I think I'll post my ever-increasing TODO list at some point for everyone to check out. Some of it's easy stuff that doesn't require code that I can't be bothered to do until everything else is working. If I can get others to volunteer bits of help here and there it'll be done all the sooner.

Billy--
April 18th, 2014, 04:50 PM
For dual screen, you may be able to nab the code from a dual screen script floating around. I don't imagine it would be that hard. Just make sure you give credits to whoever made it ;)

I keep forgetting to fix the save/load function. It's been broken for, literally, years D: I may try and get it going pretty soon. I think I'll post my ever-increasing TODO list at some point for everyone to check out. Some of it's easy stuff that doesn't require code that I can't be bothered to do until everything else is working. If I can get others to volunteer bits of help here and there it'll be done all the sooner.

I'm in the process of finding a dual screen code, but implementing it might be tricky for me since I don't have too much experience, but I'll try! If you can look into the saving, that'd be awesome! I'd love to be able to save my progress. I'd try and help with that I could, but like I said, I don't have the most experience with coding...Most of the time, I go into RPG XP games blind and fiddle around with stuff and try to perform new things.

KitsuneKouta
April 18th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I'm in the process of finding a dual screen code, but implementing it might be tricky for me since I don't have too much experience, but I'll try! If you can look into the saving, that'd be awesome! I'd love to be able to save my progress. I'd try and help with that I could, but like I said, I don't have the most experience with coding...Most of the time, I go into RPG XP games blind and fiddle around with stuff and try to perform new things.No worries, a lot of the stuff the game still needs isn't even code. I've got most of the core functionality down, so I'm not too worried about scripting help now. Resources are probably one of the main things. I've ripped or created the vast majority of the graphics I'm using, but I'm still missing a lot since ripping from the SNES emulator and adding to the tilesets is tedious. I also have a severe lack of sound effects and BGM. Animations are also a big one. I've done several of them, but there's plenty more.

Of course, even something as simple as trying to make a game with the kit and seeing what's missing or too confusing can be a big help. I should be simplifying custom components like villagers, animals, crops, etc pretty soon, so that adding/removing them will be easier for fangames going forward. Right now though, it's all still code based.

Billy--
April 18th, 2014, 05:21 PM
No worries, a lot of the stuff the game still needs isn't even code. I've got most of the core functionality down, so I'm not too worried about scripting help now. Resources are probably one of the main things. I've ripped or created the vast majority of the graphics I'm using, but I'm still missing a lot since ripping from the SNES emulator and adding to the tilesets is tedious. I also have a severe lack of sound effects and BGM. Animations are also a big one. I've done several of them, but there's plenty more.

Of course, even something as simple as trying to make a game with the kit and seeing what's missing or too confusing can be a big help. I should be simplifying custom components like villagers, animals, crops, etc pretty soon, so that adding/removing them will be easier for fangames going forward. Right now though, it's all still code based.

Hmmm alright, would changing the screen size be possible? I keep seeing answers saying you need a script, but I'm sure there's easier ways to do it...

Xili
April 19th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Can we battle again monster in this game like rune factory?

KitsuneKouta
April 22nd, 2014, 02:36 PM
Hmmm alright, would changing the screen size be possible? I keep seeing answers saying you need a script, but I'm sure there's easier ways to do it...Yes, changing the screen size is definitely possible. It does however require a script because of the way everything was designed in RMXP. I'll look around a bit and try and find a good one that I can officially support for this project. However, please be warned that changing screen sizes can very quickly become sticky business. Often times the majority of your menus will need to be completely overhauled to fit a new size, and maps may even need to be re-designed to capture an appropriate level of detail. You can find some recent discussion on this topic elsewhere in Game Dev here on PC to see what you may be facing.

I do want to officially change the resolution of this project though, so perhaps now is as good a time as any to try and finalize one. If I can get some suggestions on what would be the best screen resolution all around, I will try to officially implement it into the kit so that no one else will have to go through the headache unless they want a completely different size. The sooner this is decided upon and built into the project, the easier it will be.

Can we battle again monster in this game like rune factory?Yes, and I do have a little bit of information regarding that in the first post of this thread. It should be noted, however, that there is no Rune Factory specific functionality. I am first and foremost building this as a Harvest Moon kit, while at the same time striving to leave any and all default functionality completely intact and functional. This includes the RMXP battle system, which should still work perfectly fine and entirely separate from anything I've added.

It may also be possible to use some of the custom RMXP battle systems developed by others, if you need something more true to the official games. I can't guarantee this though, as I have made some fairly extensive changes that are bound to produce compatibility issues somewhere. Once the Harvest Moon functionality is finished, I may look into developing some Rune Factory functionality. I haven't played any of them (yet) though, so I'm not an expert on that functionality. If there's a particular game that really captures the spirit of Rune Factory (much like Harvest Moon 64 is the very essence of Harvest Moon), I would be more inclined to play and implement features from that one. It will likely be one of the earlier Rune Factory games, with less of the added frills and more focus on the core mechanics.

NOTE: I've found what appears to be causing the freezing on tool use. It seems that a couple of tools have some issues that need to be worked out with tool charging, such as the watering can. When charging the tool by holding the X key, instead of quickly pressing and releasing the X key to use it, this buggy code is executed and freezes the player from doing anything. If you are careful about using tools and don't hold the X key long enough to begin charging, you should not encounter this freezing issue. I'll try to address it for the next release.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Now onto business!

Version 2.2 has been released. The download link in the first post has been updated.

-the greenhouse!
-added error catching for missing villager message data
-fixed error when using the hoe on a tilled tile
-fixed bug that prevented fishing pole from being used in a valid body of water
-fixed error when catching a junk item
-updated tilesets with more content
-finished ore-based tool upgrades
-added support for multiple farms with the option of separate barns, coops, lumber boxes, and greenhouses for each.
-added new settings, FARM_MAPS and GREENHOUSE_MAPS, to specify which maps (by ID) the player can farm on
-additional settings named BARN_MAPS and COOP_MAPS were added for multiple barn and coop support
-animal related logic has been optimized in various places
-removed /lumber text command in favor of Kernel.lumber_sign for optional multi lumber box support
-added support for turning without moving, based on code by Mobius XVI and SirBilly from rpgmakerweb.com
-saving and loading has been fixed
-debug databox now disabled by default
-crops are now watered automatically when it rains
-added $game_temp.face_align property to allow left or right alignment of villager faces when using Show Text
-Kernel.show_text updated to support messages within menus
-added new tool level menu similar to the one in HM:FoMT (access it from the notebook on the table in your house)
-added blacksmith with tool upgrade interface. You can find him in the new tool shop in town
-game variables 2 and 3 are now reserved for use by the blacksmith
-breaking rocks in the mine now yields a variety of items
-player can now interact with the dog and raise it's affection. Can be referenced with $dog
-can give player the dog using Kernel.get_dog, instead of having the dog by default
I've probably missed a few things in the list above, but these are the important ones. The most notable changes this time around are: saving and loading have been fixed, multiple farm support, a functional greenhouse, and tool upgrades. Other changes include a functional dog, updated maps and tilesets, the ability to turn without moving, and plenty of bug fixes.

I re-factored a ton of code when implementing multi-farm support and tool upgrades, so there may be some new bugs that weren't there before. As always, let me know if you find them so I can get them fixed.

Enjoy!

Billy--
April 22nd, 2014, 07:41 PM
Yes, changing the screen size is definitely possible. It does however require a script because of the way everything was designed in RMXP. I'll look around a bit and try and find a good one that I can officially support for this project. However, please be warned that changing screen sizes can very quickly become sticky business. Often times the majority of your menus will need to be completely overhauled to fit a new size, and maps may even need to be re-designed to capture an appropriate level of detail. You can find some recent discussion on this topic elsewhere in Game Dev here on PC to see what you may be facing.

I do want to officially change the resolution of this project though, so perhaps now is as good a time as any to try and finalize one. If I can get some suggestions on what would be the best screen resolution all around, I will try to officially implement it into the kit so that no one else will have to go through the headache unless they want a completely different size. The sooner this is decided upon and built into the project, the easier it will be.

Yes, and I do have a little bit of information regarding that in the first post of this thread. It should be noted, however, that there is no Rune Factory specific functionality. I am first and foremost building this as a Harvest Moon kit, while at the same time striving to leave any and all default functionality completely intact and functional. This includes the RMXP battle system, which should still work perfectly fine and entirely separate from anything I've added.

It may also be possible to use some of the custom RMXP battle systems developed by others, if you need something more true to the official games. I can't guarantee this though, as I have made some fairly extensive changes that are bound to produce compatibility issues somewhere. Once the Harvest Moon functionality is finished, I may look into developing some Rune Factory functionality. I haven't played any of them (yet) though, so I'm not an expert on that functionality. If there's a particular game that really captures the spirit of Rune Factory (much like Harvest Moon 64 is the very essence of Harvest Moon), I would be more inclined to play and implement features from that one. It will likely be one of the earlier Rune Factory games, with less of the added frills and more focus on the core mechanics.

NOTE: I've found what appears to be causing the freezing on tool use. It seems that a couple of tools have some issues that need to be worked out with tool charging, such as the watering can. When charging the tool by holding the X key, instead of quickly pressing and releasing the X key to use it, this buggy code is executed and freezes the player from doing anything. If you are careful about using tools and don't hold the X key long enough to begin charging, you should not encounter this freezing issue. I'll try to address it for the next release.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Now onto business!

Version 2.2 has been released. The download link in the first post has been updated.

-the greenhouse!
-added error catching for missing villager message data
-fixed error when using the hoe on a tilled tile
-fixed bug that prevented fishing pole from being used in a valid body of water
-fixed error when catching a junk item
-updated tilesets with more content
-finished ore-based tool upgrades
-added support for multiple farms with the option of separate barns, coops, lumber boxes, and greenhouses for each.
-added new settings, FARM_MAPS and GREENHOUSE_MAPS, to specify which maps (by ID) the player can farm on
-additional settings named BARN_MAPS and COOP_MAPS were added for multiple barn and coop support
-animal related logic has been optimized in various places
-removed /lumber text command in favor of Kernel.lumber_sign for optional multi lumber box support
-added support for turning without moving, based on code by Mobius XVI and SirBilly from rpgmakerweb.com
-saving and loading has been fixed
-debug databox now disabled by default
-crops are now watered automatically when it rains
-added $game_temp.face_align property to allow left or right alignment of villager faces when using Show Text
-Kernel.show_text updated to support messages within menus
-added new tool level menu similar to the one in HM:FoMT (access it from the notebook on the table in your house)
-added blacksmith with tool upgrade interface. You can find him in the new tool shop in town
-game variables 2 and 3 are now reserved for use by the blacksmith
-breaking rocks in the mine now yields a variety of items
-player can now interact with the dog and raise it's affection. Can be referenced with $dog
-can give player the dog using Kernel.get_dog, instead of having the dog by default
I've probably missed a few things in the list above, but these are the important ones. The most notable changes this time around are: saving and loading have been fixed, multiple farm support, a functional greenhouse, and tool upgrades. Other changes include a functional dog, updated maps and tilesets, the ability to turn without moving, and plenty of bug fixes.

I re-factored a ton of code when implementing multi-farm support and tool upgrades, so there may be some new bugs that weren't there before. As always, let me know if you find them so I can get them fixed.

Enjoy!

Liking the new addition! It gets better and better each time on release! I see you mentioned wanting to change the screen size... What is the size for the regular DS games? I'd love to go with something like that (mainly because that's what a lot of the sprites are sized for, the DS games).

EDIT: Found a little glitch too, by the way... When I talked to the Tool man, and talked to Elli, her sprite ended all the way where the Tool man's sprite was, leaving the beating heart on the other side.

KitsuneKouta
April 23rd, 2014, 09:37 AM
Liking the new addition! It gets better and better each time on release! I see you mentioned wanting to change the screen size... What is the size for the regular DS games? I'd love to go with something like that (mainly because that's what a lot of the sprites are sized for, the DS games).

EDIT: Found a little glitch too, by the way... When I talked to the Tool man, and talked to Elli, her sprite ended all the way where the Tool man's sprite was, leaving the beating heart on the other side.I'll check around the general Game Development and Pokemon Essentials sections for screen resolutions. It's a topic that's been rehashed there a bit, so everything from screen sizes of the GBA and DS to arguments for or against particular sizes should be pretty easy to find. DS size does sound like it might be the best bet though. It would be a little smaller than what we have now I believe.

As for the face graphic being on the wrong side, that is a bug in the event itself. At the very end of the tool shop owner's event, you just need to add a script command: $game_temp.face_align=0. I took care of it in the code, but overlooked it in the event. I implemented face alignment this time around, so it could be on the left or right, but I did not update the code for heart rendering at the same time. I'll get that in the next release. This face alignment functionality will eventually allow multiple characters to talk in the same conversation window, with one face on either side.

Billy--
April 23rd, 2014, 08:14 PM
I'll check around the general Game Development and Pokemon Essentials sections for screen resolutions. It's a topic that's been rehashed there a bit, so everything from screen sizes of the GBA and DS to arguments for or against particular sizes should be pretty easy to find. DS size does sound like it might be the best bet though. It would be a little smaller than what we have now I believe.

As for the face graphic being on the wrong side, that is a bug in the event itself. At the very end of the tool shop owner's event, you just need to add a script command: $game_temp.face_align=0. I took care of it in the code, but overlooked it in the event. I implemented face alignment this time around, so it could be on the left or right, but I did not update the code for heart rendering at the same time. I'll get that in the next release. This face alignment functionality will eventually allow multiple characters to talk in the same conversation window, with one face on either side.

We're thinking on the same page! I was wondering how to get other characters to appear in the conversations, especially once heart events get implemented very soon :) I probably won't fiddle around too much with this until the next release, but in the meantime, I'll rip graphics for you, to be some help.... What are we needing? Animals? Haha

KitsuneKouta
April 23rd, 2014, 08:35 PM
We're thinking on the same page! I was wondering how to get other characters to appear in the conversations, especially once heart events get implemented very soon :) I probably won't fiddle around too much with this until the next release, but in the meantime, I'll rip graphics for you, to be some help.... What are we needing? Animals? HahaYes, animals are very definitely needed. I've been using Pokemon charsets just because they were convenient and fit in with the community here, but a more complete set of Harvest Moon graphics is definitely on the wishlist.

You can see in the project that a lot of the general tiles have already been ripped, but I'm missing quite a few of the town tiles and several charsets (like the goddess, the sprites, and many NPCs). All town buildings probably need to be re-ripped for each season (I have a couple that are slightly discolored due to the time of day or using the wrong season's tiles), in addition to a more accurate rip of the town square. Some interiors haven't been ripped yet either, such as the animal shop, church, mayor's house, player's upgraded house, etc. There are also some mountain, farm tiles missing, in addition to the mine tiles being fairly shoddy. There are also no festival or wedding graphics yet (such as special charsets) with which to make more complete festivals, but those aren't terribly high priority at the moment. The outdoor town rips alone would be a big help, as would NPCs and animals.

I've also started on a wiki. I'll post a link and make note of it in the first post when there's enough content. From there I will likely start moving a lot of info out of the first post and into the wiki instead, and make that the primary information source while this thread remains for up to date discussion.

Billy--
April 23rd, 2014, 09:40 PM
Yes, animals are very definitely needed. I've been using Pokemon charsets just because they were convenient and fit in with the community here, but a more complete set of Harvest Moon graphics is definitely on the wishlist.

You can see in the project that a lot of the general tiles have already been ripped, but I'm missing quite a few of the town tiles and several charsets (like the goddess, the sprites, and many NPCs). All town buildings probably need to be re-ripped for each season (I have a couple that are slightly discolored due to the time of day or using the wrong season's tiles), in addition to a more accurate rip of the town square. Some interiors haven't been ripped yet either, such as the animal shop, church, mayor's house, player's upgraded house, etc. There are also some mountain, farm tiles missing, in addition to the mine tiles being fairly shoddy. There are also no festival or wedding graphics yet (such as special charsets) with which to make more complete festivals, but those aren't terribly high priority at the moment. The outdoor town rips alone would be a big help, as would NPCs and animals.

I've also started on a wiki. I'll post a link and make note of it in the first post when there's enough content. From there I will likely start moving a lot of info out of the first post and into the wiki instead, and make that the primary information source while this thread remains for up to date discussion.

Does it matter which game I rip the animals from? I only have HMDS: Cute at the moment, and that's what I've been using :P

KitsuneKouta
April 24th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Does it matter which game I rip the animals from? I only have HMDS: Cute at the moment, and that's what I've been using :PI suppose it's not terribly important, but matching would be ideal. One option is to rip from HM:DS and then devamp the sprites like I did for various items from HM:FoMT and HM:64. I've basically been using the SNES sprites because they're so simple and easy to work with, but devamping into that style is fairly straightforward I've found.