PDA

View Full Version : [Engine] Touhoumon Essentials Development Starter Kit (Touhoumon DevKit)

Derxwna Kapsyla
July 18th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Chances are, if you've clicked on this, you either know what Touhoumon is, or are curious enough to learn more. Either way, let me throw in some back-information as to what Touhoumon is before I post the Development Kit so people understand what it is I did.

Touhou Puppet Play, or Touhoumon as it's been translated as, is a Japanese Pokemon Rom Hack of Pocket Monsters Fire Red, which replaces all 396 different Pokemon species with the various characters from the prolific Japanese Doujin/Indie curtain-fire game, Touhou Project, produced by Team Shanghai Alice. There are numerous different Touhoumon games (Aqua+Yui, Purple, Another World, Faith & Prayer Version, Gaiden, Ordinary), all with different ideas, but keep the same basic concept - Touhou characters serving as the obtainables within the game environment.
Example video: Touhoumon Purple - Factory Head Noland (Gold), Generation 1.812 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R472pGD_OM8)
I've hung around Touhoumon hackers for many hours on end, and their projects always seem to slip through - lack of understanding, lack of patience, lack of something which makes their projects fall through. No stranger to the pain of constant defeat of hacking, I sought out to create something to help these people create their own Touhoumon game - one that isn't bound by the limitations of a rom. And thus, the Touhoumon Development Kit was created.

With the preface out of the way, the Touhoumon Essentials Development Starter Kit, or Touhoumon DevKit for short, is utilziing Essentials V13 (I decided not to update to Version 14 yet, for reasons - the next build will likely utilize the latest version that may be out at the time). Like how Touhoumon hacks keep the same core of Pokemon games, the DevKit keeps to the same basic core of what Pokemon Essentials was programmed and developed for.

Below are the main features and showcases of this specific build of the Touhoumon DevKit. For a visutal experience, I have included some videos below of what can be done with the DevKit at the bottom of the post.

Mechanics

All Touhoumon from the current official build (1.812), as wel as the unofficial ones from Touhoumon Purple (the Ten Desires cast, MagiStones, and a User-friendly Kasen) have been included. The special AImons are also included, but do not have a user0friendly setup, as they were intended to be used only for the AI in Elite Four rematches in the games they came from.
Pokemon from generations 1-4 are all present, for those who wish to mix and match their Pokemon and Touhoumon needs into their games.
Moves from the 1.812x era of Touhoumon have been directly extracted from Touhoumon Purple.
This engine makes complete use of the Touhoumon Generation 1.8, as opposed to the previous DevKit build, which used 1.5's generation. The benefits to this include a properly set up Physical/Special split, and a streamlined evolution array and new type chart. All approrpiate files for understanding 1.8 have been included with the download.
The DevKit contains a combined Pokemon and Touhoumon type chart, all 34 types have combined weaknesses and resists. There is an Uncombined type chart for those who wish to make their own combined chart, or leave the charts uncombined.
Pokemon and Touhoumon abilities ahve been segregated and function independantly of each other. Some abilities aren't programmed in yet, mostly because I havem't figured those out yet, others because of convenience, and others just seem pointless to copy.

Graphics

All graphics come from Touhoumon 1.8. Some AImons do not have backsprites or shiny sprites, as they replaced the Filler Slots in Pokemon games where the player couldn't catch them.
Maribel and Renko are set as Player 1 and 2, respectively. For the DevKit, Red is set as Player 3. These all can be modified, and they have graphics correlating to their player slot already inserted. Credit for the Red sprite, unfortunately, is unknown - it came from a much older build of Essentials.
Backgrounds for the continue screen have been changed - they now alternate between a Yin-Yang orb and the Mini Hakkero
SEVERAL Touhou characters have Overworlds and Trainer sprites. At some point in the future, as Faith & Prayer Version and Underground progress, there will be much more. Most of them were done by my graphics artist Kasael and Maralis, be sure to give them credit.
All of the Orbs from Touhoumon are included, but they do not replace Pokeballs. They are there for those who wish to use either-or.

Exploration Additions/DevKit Story
For this build of the DevKit, I went back to my original plans before I scrapped them or the very first build. This DevKit has a small story attached to it, which falls concurrent to Faith & Prayer Version's story, but can be entirely disregarded. It is included to give the user-end a feel for the kind of projects that can be made with the DevKit. The list of locations in the Touhoumon DevKit are as follows:

Isolated Woods - An area long forgotten to time, somewhere to the north of Ecruteak City in the Johto Region. It contains an entrance that leads into Boundary Cave.
Boundary Cave - An area which contains a secret passage, sealed off by five sages. The sages must be defeated in order to pass through the cave's secret passage.
Mulberry Village - A village that was created right at the edge of an abandoned shrine that apparently has history. Is it real, is it not? Nobody knows. It contains the DevGym, where trainers get the Void Badge, and permission to leave Mulberry Village to the east.
DevGym - The DevGym, run by [REDACTED] is a gym that is broken down, and requires the user to fix it through the use of RPG Maker XP's editing software. This is to give the user a soft introduction/reminder about how the core functions you'll need for making a game in RMXP.
Dilapidated Shrine - A shrine forgotten to time. Not much is there.
Malachite Creek - A small little wooded area with a creek running through it. It contains an entrane into Mortar Heights.
Mortar Heights - A cave that leads into a part of Mt. Mortar, and has a mysterious location in the far back of it.

Other Features/Overlooked Features

Official Development Credits - You can examine one of the signs by the Pokemon Center in Border's Edge Village and it will start playing them. (The song used for the credits is Innocent Treasures, off of one of the Touhou Music CDs)
The Pokedex now differentiates between Pokemon and Touhoumon. Everything that has an ID number beyond 493 in the Pokemon.txt file is classified as a Touhoumon.
Various instances of the word "Pokemon" were phased out for a more neutral pronoun (Eg. "Party", "Species", "Target")
Unlike the former version of the DevKit, this does not have any of Faith & Prayer version in it at all. The DevKit and Faith & Prayer version are 100% separate entities now.
Contains items that replace the need for HMs (Such as an Axe/Cut, Grappling Hook/Waterfall, Scuba Gea/Dive, Mini Teleporter/Fly).

I believe that is everything that is featured and showcased in the Starter Kit. If you have any questions pertaining to the Kit, I would have no objections to answering them. Please remember to double-check before you report an issue.

With all of that out of the way, here are the download links to the DevKit. Please remember to give credit to myself and the developers of Pokemon Essentials when using it.
Touhoumon DevKit - Version 1 (http://tinyurl.com/THMNDKV1)

Thank you for reading all this, I hope you enjoy the DevKit!
-DerxwnaKapsyla

Videos
Unfortunately, this is all I have on hand at the moment

Touhoumon DevKit Episode 1 - Boundary Cave (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqKUaAB-dMk)
Touhoumon Faith & Prayer Version: Saffron Dojo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDcVPso5h1s)
Touhoumon Faith & Prayer Version: Music Transition changes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlxpHs2NX1c)
Touhoumon underground: Realm Shifting Kitty (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1eRUi87CvQ)
Touhoumon Faith & Prayer Version: Lantern and Mini-Teleporter showcase (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax_ZQt-ttXM)

pkek
September 17th, 2012, 01:19 AM
o.0 great to see this... although no one seems to have a interest in touhoumon in pokecommunity...
have you tried posting this on nuzlocke forum (the one on zetaboards) theres fair amount of touhou/mon players there just to get more people playing and help out on things... :/
hope this helps

Derxwna Kapsyla
September 17th, 2012, 09:29 AM
o.0 great to see this... although no one seems to have a interest in touhoumon in pokecommunity...
have you tried posting this on nuzlocke forum (the one on zetaboards) theres fair amount of touhou/mon players there just to get more people playing and help out on things... :/
hope this helps

Ah, I did debate posting it on the Nuzlocke forums, but a few friends of mine advised me it'd be an ill-advised move. Unfortunately, there isn't many places to post this kind of thing.

pkek
September 17th, 2012, 12:26 PM
ahh icic... well theres a specific forum for touhoumon (where A+Y is updated, can say its the official forum for A+Y/aquamentis)
touhoumon acadamy (taikotime(dot)co(dot)cc)

Xero187
November 22nd, 2012, 07:05 AM
Whether this would be valid or not, Touhoumon Wold's Creator (Another World/World Link/Marisa/s Magic World) has a blog type site you may be able to find a place to post news and info about this. I have a feeling since this is not a rom hack, it'll be accepted just as well as a rom hack would, probably more so since it would be technically building a game from the ground up that wasn't a different game to begin with

Derxwna Kapsyla
November 22nd, 2012, 03:45 PM
Whether this would be valid or not, Touhoumon Wold's Creator (Another World/World Link/Marisa/s Magic World) has a blog type site you may be able to find a place to post news and info about this. I have a feeling since this is not a rom hack, it'll be accepted just as well as a rom hack would, probably more so since it would be technically building a game from the ground up that wasn't a different game to begin with

If I interpreted what you said correctly, I could possibly contact Aichiya Sanae and have him promote the Development Kit. It's not exactly a bad idea, but I don't want to. I'd also be much appreciative if people didn't go asking him if he would promote it - throwing that out there now to prevent further situations. I'd rather handle promotion by myself, and give it to others to promote when I deem necessary.
For now, the DevKit is fine as it is. There's a new version in the works which overhauls this sloppy one, but wont be released for a while.

Derxwna Kapsyla
June 8th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Official Development Kit Statement:
I'm putting development of the DevKit on Hiatus for the time being. Reasoning is simple enough - Faith & Prayer Version and the DevKit are being developed separately. If I was to make any changes to Faith & Prayer Version, which is getting active work, I'd have to apply the same changes to the DevKit, and continuously update it. I'd much rather release a version of the DevKit that I know will be stable for everyone using it, and I'll only know that once I've made it further on Faith & Prayer's development.
In summarisation, Please do not download the Touhoumon Essentials Development Kit for the time being, unless you're willing to put up with a few critical bugs and attempt to fix them yourself.

Derxwna Kapsyla
September 2nd, 2014, 03:47 PM
MEANWHILE, OVER A YEAR LATER
http://puu.sh/biZeY/024d5c2cdb.png
Let this image serve to represent something.
When Demo 4/5 of Faith & Prayer Version is released, a new version of the DevKit will be coming. It will have several kinks ironed out that are present in the most recent (And outdated) version.
There has also been a critical overhaul: The newest version will be making use of the Touhou Puppet Play Generation 1.8 Mechanics. I have long since depreciated the 1.5 engine, so future releases here on out (Which will usually come when I finish a significant milestone in Faith & Prayer Version) will be utilizing the 1.8 Mechanics.
There are also some scripts I... may need to remove because I didn't create them, and they're being used in Faith & Prayer Version, but I'll be asking permission from the scripts developers before I distribute the new build.

Long story short, if you've been looking forward to being able to create Touhoumon games on RPG Maker XP using this engine, but found it far too bug riddled, your wait is nearly over - the Touhoumon Essentials Starter Development Kit 1.812x: Version 1 will be out soon.

Derxwna Kapsyla
December 10th, 2014, 01:49 PM
QUADRA-POST: The new version of the DevKit is done, and is in closed testing phases. It will be released alongside Touhoumon Faith & Prayer Version (in separate downloads) on December 25th. As of right now, there are no intentions to delay.

Derxwna Kapsyla
December 24th, 2014, 11:57 PM
QUINTA POST: Version 1 of the DevKit is officially uploaded and released. The first post has been updated to reflect the changes of the DevKit and now holds the brand, sparkling new version. Get that download while it's hot people!