View Full Version : "I'm getting married!" "I'm pregnant!"

Shining Raichu
August 14th, 2012, 7:25 AM
Has anybody ever stolen your thunder?

Please describe the situation to us all!

EDIT: It's been brought to my attention that 'to steal one's thunder' isn't as universal a turn of phrase as I thought it was. So for those of you not in the know, it means when something really exciting is happening to you and then someone upstages you and makes the moment all about them instead. For instance, somebody announcing their pregnancy at your wedding.

Katie the Friendly Ghost
August 14th, 2012, 8:49 AM
Actually, someone's engagement announcement did sorta steal my thunder. I mean of course I wasn't mad or anything, getting accepted into college isn't nearly as exciting as a wedding, at least in my family. It was kind of awkward though, because nobody could contain their excitement after my cousin made her announcement, yet people still had to awkwardly congratulate me.

Grif of Hearts
August 14th, 2012, 9:03 AM
I don't have an awful lot of thunder to steal. :3

BZW Golem
August 14th, 2012, 9:13 AM
Nope, never happened to me ;p

Probably because I'm still young xD

August 16th, 2012, 1:43 AM
Has it happened? Plenty.

Does it bother me? Not in the slightest.

Shining Raichu
August 16th, 2012, 8:51 PM
Well I guess I'll get the ball rolling again :P

Picture it: Australia, 1996.

A little boy rushes home from school, waving a piece of paper in the air as though it holds the formula to cure cancer. He had found out that morning that he had gotten 10 out of 10 correct on his spelling test and he had been waiting all day long to run home and show his Mummy. She would be so proud and he spent the day practically bursting with excitement.

He held the paper out to her with ten bright red ticks - one next to each word he had spelled correctly. His Mummy's eyes widened and a big smile spread across his face. "That's wonderful, I'm so proud of--"

Just then, the little boy heard hurried footsteps coming up the stairs and a little girl screaming "Mummy! Mummy!" The little boy's sister burst through the kitchen door and held out a paper of her own. She had got 19 out of 20 correct on her third grade Maths test and wanted to show off her efforts as well. Their Mummy's eyes widened even further. "This is wonderful! We have two geniuses in the family!"

Uh, excuse me? thought the little boy. Two geniuses? I don't think so.

He began to seethe with rage. He had been waiting six long hours for this moment and that nine-year-old little upstart had come and stolen his moment! There wasn't much time to get upset, however, for just as he opened his mouth to object, the phone rang behind him.

His Mum walked to the phone and picked it up.
"W-what? But I just saw her last-- OK, OK."

She took a deep shuddering breath and covered the speaking end of the phone. Her voice broke as she said, "Kids, why don't you go get out of those school clothes for me?"

Somewhat worried, they turned on their heels and trudged to their rooms, changing clothes and coming back out a minute later. They made sure to put their school uniforms in the washing basket - Mummy seemed upset enough already. When they turned back into the kitchen, she had tears in her eyes.

"I have something to tell you. Nanny passed away."

And that, my friends, is the story of how a little boy's great grandmother became the biggest thunder-stealer of all time.

Now for the twist that will shock and amaze you:

That little boy was me.

August 17th, 2012, 12:52 AM
^ Dang that's awful.

I don't think I've had somebody steal my thunder, that I can remember.