PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Starter Bird

Atomic Pirate
August 21st, 2012, 11:50 AM
Every Pokemon game has it's starter bird. It's been a long-standing tradition in the franchise to have a Normal/Flying type Pokemon available early in the game. So, what's your favorite?

Personally, I like Staraptor the best. While I don't really like Generation IV very much, it sure gave us a helluva bird!

pleryt16
August 21st, 2012, 03:16 PM
I voted for Staraptor, even though I wanted to vote for Fearow. I always thought of Fearow being the best. I think it should be included here because its available on the second route in RBY/FRLG

Snowdrop
August 21st, 2012, 03:50 PM
I voted for Swellow. Never actually played through R/S/E but I like the design the most, and I have used it in battle elsewhere. It's a pretty cool bird.

TheLeetCasualGamer
August 21st, 2012, 04:40 PM
Hoothoot for me

I think it's the most unique because it's an owl and also have a more diverse move-pool then just being an average attacker :3

Resolution
August 21st, 2012, 04:52 PM
Pidgey, first and original. I like it for it's excellent moveset, and I generally like it's design the most. And it's an eagle...eagles are cool, man.

Haddez
August 21st, 2012, 05:41 PM
Surprised how little people voted for Pidgey!
Easily my favourite.
Pigeot is an amazing Pokemon in my eyes, The only flying Pokemon I like better is Braviary.

Also Ash had one, I cried when it left.

Pokemon Trainer UV
August 21st, 2012, 05:49 PM
Taillow.

This little birdy gets really useful moves like Quick Attack, Focus Energy, Peck/Wing Attack, and some fourth thing.
Then it eventually evolves into Swellow, and Swellow itself is really cool looking.

Brendino
August 21st, 2012, 08:26 PM
I voted for Pidgeot. Basically any game where you can find Pidgey, one has become a main member of my team. Aside from Pidgeot, the only other one I've even used is Staraptor.

Hikamaru
August 21st, 2012, 08:32 PM
I voted for the Starly line cos I use one in all my playthroughs of the Sinnoh games and Staraptor learns Close Combat, which makes it cool.

It's definitely my staple Flying-type in all my 4th Gen teams.

Mentalii
August 22nd, 2012, 07:20 AM
My vote goes for HootHoot. 2nd generation nostalgia remains... I guess it's one of the weakest though, I used it in my Soul Silver game and it didn't help a lot. However I had good memories of it from my Silver version... Well, it must be because I was too young to really understand who was strong and who wasn't :P

Talli
August 22nd, 2012, 07:27 AM
Easily my vote goes to Taillow as it is the only one I actually used in my game play through.

Satoshi Ookami
August 22nd, 2012, 07:39 AM
Starly-line. Similar to poster above, it's the only "bird" (because as we all know, bird is a glitch type :P) I've ever used.

Inferna
August 22nd, 2012, 07:56 AM
Voted for Pidgey line :3
I love how Pidgeotto and Pidgeot look. I had a Pidgeot called Anna when I played through Gold, they may suck competitively but I think they're awesome~
Swellow and Taillow come a close second though.

venomjack
August 22nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
I would have to go with the pidove line. I found myself using the pidove I started with even now. Funny thing is before I gave fifth gen pokemon a chance Pidove was my least favorite.

ShinyJohtomaster
August 22nd, 2012, 11:09 AM
I voted for Staraptor. I don't know who I like more- Pidgeot or Staraptor.

υ Shivam
August 22nd, 2012, 07:58 PM
I vote for staraptor.
It's really cool

Playful_Weasel
August 22nd, 2012, 10:39 PM
Voted! For Taillow that is, its the only bird Pokemon I actually used for the longest time, I keep it as a HM fly, when ever I need to fly from one part of the map to another.

pleb
August 23rd, 2012, 01:14 AM
In order favorite to least favorite: Starly > Tailow > Pidgey > Pidove > Hoothoot

NixChill
August 23rd, 2012, 06:07 PM
pidgey's line for me. because its the original bird starter because and pidgeotto is awesome

Twilight Sky
August 26th, 2012, 03:38 PM
From a competitive standpoint: Staraptor is just freaking awesome. @_@; Brave Birds hurts. A lot.

Cassino
August 27th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I like to use Spearow/Fearow most in the same manner as one. It can be gotten early in the first generation, so it is something of a starter bird if Hoothoot/Noctowl can be. The fifth generation brings a Drill Peck/Run combo to Fearow which I'm very keen on.

If Spearow won't be counted, then the classic Pidgey line is charmingly retro and surprisingly tough.

Cosmotone8
September 7th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I picked Starly because I loved Staraptor. I caught one on route one and used it till the end of the game.

xxReshiramxx
September 7th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I voted for the Pidgey line I found that line really helped methroughout my journey more then I felt the others did.

Mistyb89
September 7th, 2012, 12:36 PM
My vote goes for HootHoot. 2nd generation nostalgia remains... I guess it's one of the weakest though, I used it in my Soul Silver game and it didn't help a lot. However I had good memories of it from my Silver version... Well, it must be because I was too young to really understand who was strong and who wasn't :P

I voted for HootHoot for the exact same reason, nostalgia. although I've never owned any of the Johto Remakes, I will indeed get one in the future and I will definitely make sure I get a HootHoot first thing. Move wise, I would have to say that Pidgey was my favorite because I love Pidgeotto and Pidgiot, they are so strong!

Mochi
September 7th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Swellow was an absolute boss in RSE. Even Taillow destroyed everything in the beginning of the game.

o Pikachu o
September 7th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Starly and Taillow line. Starly because Staraptor has high attack and it learns good moves. Tailow line because Swellow is one of the fastest Pokèmon's.

King Goodra
September 9th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Oh this is hard. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Pidgey line and the Starly line. I view them both to be superior to the others, but if I had to choose between them, I consider Staraptor the better Pokémon, so ultimately, I would end up with that line.

TwilightBlade
September 20th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I have huge soft spots for Pidgey and Starly. I used them in just about every play though. Even their shiny forms just rock. Hmm. Hmm... Since I know someone who loves Pidgey to death, I'll pick Starly. :)

Pidgey
September 20th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hoot-hoot. Totally. Not even kidding.

... :(

Nah, but seriously, Pidgey forever and always. There aren't really any specific traits to the Pokemon that really makes me like it, however it was the first Pokemon I ever caught myself, the first one except for my starter which I ever fully evolved, and the first Pokemon that I ever really liked. And it's design, even though it's really simple and just like any real life bird, I really like it. How its eyes give off that angry expression, even though it really just looks adorable. djhhfksdhfhdfdfh I just really like Pidgey, and there's never been a single playthrough of Kanto where it hasn't been on my team :D:D:D:D:D

GO PIDGEY!

http://www.pokecommunity.com/customprofilepics/profilepic227652_3.gif

Blue
September 20th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Since Swellow is my #1 favourite Pokemon it's pretty clear which line I voted for, I do like all the others too.

Ryliam
September 21st, 2012, 06:19 PM
I liked Staraptor the most because it was the most useful out of all the other ones.

trapincher
September 22nd, 2012, 06:53 PM
I Design wise: Pidgey > Taillow > Starly > Hoothoot > Pidove.
Staraptor is really powerful though.

The Grubby Pup
September 22nd, 2012, 08:00 PM
Starly...It's evolutionary line is obviously the strongest outta the 5. There's nothing like a Flying type with High Attack power. *sighs* I like the Taillow-line after the Starly-line.

PlatinumDude
September 22nd, 2012, 08:11 PM
Starly, hands down. Staraptor easily sets itself apart from the other fully evolved starting birds for its ability to learn Close Combat to hit Rocks and Steels hard.

psyanic
September 22nd, 2012, 08:27 PM
I liked Staraptor. It had a pretty sick design coupled with useable stats in comparison with Pidgeot and Swellow.

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
September 23rd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Taillow --> Swellow by SO much it's not even funny haha. Staple part of my Emerald team and to me the design is just perfect.

Shining Raichu
September 26th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I think Spearow/Fearow should also be an option on this list - Spearow are available in Kanto just one route after Pidgey so I've always considered them both to be the starter birds of Kanto. Plus, they're in the very first episode of the anime. Not that I would have chosen Spearow, I just think they deserve a mention :P

Anyway, Pidgey is my definite choice. Even aside from it being the original which gets my nostalgic gears turning and sends me on a trip down Memory Wharfage, I think it has by far the best design of them all. They've simply yet to come up with cooler looking birds since the Pidgey line. Pidgey itself is obviously nothing special, but Pidgeotto is nothing short of beautiful and they've yet to trump the majestic look of Pidgeot. I don't think they ever will. Simply beautiful feat of animation.

My least favourite is by far the Pidove line. Unfezant is the dorkiest bird I've ever seen in my entire life. And this is a world that includes a two-headed ostrich.

Rainbow Arcanine
October 1st, 2012, 09:02 PM
I loved Tailow out of all of them :3.It was my first bird Pokemon ever and I've loved it no matter what other people say. Apart from being utterly adorable ^^, I've loved how it can use some diverse moves and how speedy it is.

Swellow is a powerhouse,being one of the speediest bird Pokemon and deadly.Also I love the designs,red and dark blue along with white? That's just awesome :D.

I have to say I have a little love for Pidgey as well since it is also really cute ^^. I've used one in HG and he was a decent guy :D.