PDA

View Full Version : Would you give your body up for money?

Forever
August 27th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Surprisingly no, this isn't a prostitution thread. Well, completely.

Imagine there was technology that allowed your memories to be removed, and new memories to be implanted instead. You make lots of money at the end of it, and it lasts for 5 years. The plus side is it'll seem like a day, the negative is you have no control over your body and your old memory is stored on two backup disks. With the new memories you are told to do whatever the "client" wants, whether it's to help expose someone bad, or be a grown up version of a child and help them realise that they can grow up into something, and so on.

Would you become involved in the technology and volunteer to do it?

edit, if this confuses you, this spoiler should explain:
[00:02:45] <+Forever> no
[00:02:46] <+Forever> okay um
[00:02:49] <+Forever> you're missing the concept
[00:02:54] <+Forever> it's still you
[00:03:00] <+Forever> but your memories/personality is gone
[00:03:04] <+Forever> a new personality is made up
[00:03:07] <+Forever> to suit what the client wants
[00:03:09] <Saber> Oh Dollhouse by Joss Whedon?
[00:03:11] <+Forever> sorry if that confused XD;
[00:03:11] <+Forever> YES
[00:03:13] <Saber> aka with Eliza?
[00:03:15] <+Forever> yes
[00:03:16] <+Forever> :3
[00:03:18] <Saber> I've seen that when it was aired :D
[00:03:25] <Saber> Shame it was only 2 seasons long :(
[00:03:26] <Kura> It's not you if the basic structure of your soul is gone.
[00:03:31] <Ozzy> So you're still controlling yourself but with different memories/personality?
[00:03:36] <Kawaii> Yes
[00:03:36] <Kura> Your memories and experience make up you
[00:03:40] <+Forever> i mean someone else isn't in your body
[00:03:43] <Kura> without them we are just empty shells.
[00:03:47] <Ozzy> So it's not like being in a coma then? o3o
[00:03:48] <+Forever> but it'd be without your memories/personality

Twilight Sky
August 27th, 2012, 06:29 AM
But what if that client does want to go into prostitution or whatever? Are you forced to do that, too?

I mean, now thinking about all of the possibilities, it seems that regardless of the money, I wouldn't do it. x_x; Seems like too much of a scary thing to go through...

GolurkIsDaBomb
August 27th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Surprisingly no, this isn't a prostitution thread. Well, completely.

Imagine there was technology that allowed your memories to be removed, and new memories to be implanted instead. You make lots of money at the end of it, and it lasts for 5 years. The plus side is it'll seem like a day, the negative is you have no control over your body and your old memory is stored on two backup disks. With the new memories you are told to do whatever the "client" wants, whether it's to help expose someone bad, or be a grown up version of a child and help them realise that they can grow up into something, and so on.

Would you become involved in the technology and volunteer to do it?

ASDFGHJKL I WAS THINKING OF MAKING A THREAD LIKE THIS AHHHH DOLLHOUSE :3

Hmm... perhaps I would do it if something bad happened and it was my only way out. If they keep their word completely and I'm one hundred percent free after, I'd see it as a better option than to going to prison for life for something I didn't do or whatever. However, that's the only way I'd consider it. Oh, and I don't think I'm attractive enough for the program lol. :D

Kura
August 27th, 2012, 07:50 AM
No, I wouldn't do it. You're only young once. I rather they be MY 5 years, not someone else's 5 years.

Honest
August 27th, 2012, 07:59 AM
No, I wouldn't do it. You're only young once. I rather they be MY 5 years, not someone else's 5 years.

Pretty much this. Sure, you'd get good money out of it, but money won't mean much when you die. And I'd rather enjoy my life to the fullest.

ShinyUmbreon189
August 27th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't do it. I would prob kill the client for trying to "control" my body. Id rather live my life the way I wanna live it not the way a client want's me to live. Well, for 5 years that is.

Altix
August 27th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I am fairly sure this was a movie...and the program thing was illegal. The guy who rented her body broke the law, and the police were after her. It wasnt 5 years though was it? Anyway, no. I would not.

Kevin
August 27th, 2012, 11:46 AM
At first I was like IUHUHBUGVTERSTVIHNOIJOIJOIHIUH STTTTTAAAAARRRRTTTTEEEERRRRSSS! No? Oh, okay.

Anyway, no. Even though it's still me, it's not me at the same time. And my five years of being a totally different person will be a waste, 'cause what if I get used to it and then allow a sudden I'm changed back to my old self? Although the money is quite a deal...

droomph
August 27th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Neh, $8/hr is pretty good for me. And if I wanted money that bad I'd probably just tap my bank account or something :P

Edit: no, I love my life as it is.

Esper
August 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM
No, I saw enough of Dollhouse to know this would not end very well.

Even if it wouldn't potentially get me into danger or legal trouble I don't want to loose 5 years of my life even if it were for a ton of money.

psyanic
August 27th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Depends how much I'd get paid, and believe me, it would take a lot of money. But if I got enough money to retire early or I was set for life with a bit of extra cash on the side, then I'd jump on this train. It would be awesome to only 'work' for five years, which I wouldn't remember anyway, and not have to get a job. Although it does concern me as to what the hell I would have done in those five years, but it's a small price to pay in comparison. It's like being a brainwashed slave. Indentured servant if you're feeling fancy.

Five years of working is a lot better than, say, twenty. It's worth it to spend my youth doing something I'll be doing anyway, so I can live off the rest of my life in luxury. If I didn't get paid enough, no. Hell no.

Sodom
August 27th, 2012, 06:05 PM
To further clarify: your mind is wiped for five years. During that five years the technicians can implant any memories, skills, instincts, whatever you need to complete the task the client has set out. They can turn you completely into someone else. Once the task is complete and the client satisfied, you are brought back to this resort-like environment and your mind is wiped and you resume a child-like state where you relax until another client wishes to hire you out. You can do anything and be anyone.

And yes, I would do this. I would do this so much. Assuming it doesn't end the same way as it does in the TV show, of course :P. It would be worth losing five years and doing all these amazing things, even if I couldn't remember them, only to wake up in five years rich and able to live my life however I wanted. I'd love to be a spy, an assassin, a lover, a bilingual, essentially a human chameleon...

The fact that I wouldn't be able to remember any of it once they restored my own mind bothers me, though. If I were doing all this awesome stuff, I'd want to at least be able to remember it. I might put it as a caveat in the contract that I get to keep some of the epic skills they've implanted me with along the way :P

Blade_of_darkness
August 28th, 2012, 06:16 PM
To further clarify: your mind is wiped for five years. During that five years the technicians can implant any memories, skills, instincts, whatever you need to complete the task the client has set out. They can turn you completely into someone else. Once the task is complete and the client satisfied, you are brought back to this resort-like environment and your mind is wiped and you resume a child-like state where you relax until another client wishes to hire you out. You can do anything and be anyone.

That was a much better way of saying it than Nica's.

In any way, I'll be more than happy to give up my body to these people at no cost to them, PROVIDED that they remove the straight side of my brain & make me 100% Asexual for the rest of my days.

Cherrim
August 28th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Nah, I wouldn't give up 5 whole years unless my memories could be transplanted elsewhere for the interim so I could continue living my own life in some capacity instead of essentially sitting in stasis. Even then, I'd have to know what the person was intending to do with my body before I signed it over. :/ So I imagine my answer is pretty much no.

TRIFORCE89
August 28th, 2012, 07:46 PM
This is the most Karl Pilkington-esque question ever.

And.. umm... no, I wouldn't. I don't have any reasoning for that answer other than "why would I want to?"

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
September 4th, 2012, 10:48 PM
At this point in my life, when I'm just sitting around doing nothing anyway, I'd say, "Why not?" Assuming the price was right, though. And hey, anything that involves prepping my frail, flawed body for intense high risk missions can't be all bad, right? Right?

Shiny Celebi
September 5th, 2012, 07:35 AM
No, never. I would never give up 5 years of my life willingly just for money. Money can be made in other ways. Why would I want to willingly let someone control my body and life? That seems very wrong to me.

Riko
September 5th, 2012, 10:37 PM
for money? tbh i don't like doing anything for money "unless it's my normal job" i do admit we need money but we make money..money doesn't make us so i won't run after the glowing of gold like what people say lol

i love my memories i love my life even if it's hard sometimes but i love the way i try to figure solutions for my problems..nope

Alinthea
September 6th, 2012, 01:02 AM

Boom. Exactly how I feel.
Life it too short so, I would just like to live it out with my friends, family and loved ones.

Forever
September 8th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Right now I really think I would... mainly because I'm sick of having happy memories I can remember, they only hurt me in the long run. I'd much rather just having five years and then going from here because by then things would've bound to have changed somehow. Maybe I can be and stay happy then with everything I want.

It's not even for money really, it's just... want an escape until things are better.

Mr Cat Dog
September 19th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I have no need for craploads of money and I'd like to really, properly experience my 20s so... no. I don't want to wake up and be 27. Ew, no. Just no.

Squirrel
September 20th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I thought I answered this before but seems not o.o Nah, I wouldn't sell my body for money, I'd be far to scared of what would happen to it. What if they used you for something incriminating or harmed your body? I just wouldn't trust someone enough to use my body for their needs haha.