PDA

View Full Version : YOU MAKE ME FEEL LIKE SUCH A WOMAN

Axton
August 29th, 2012, 06:42 AM
If you're male, how 'manly' do you feel? If you're female, how 'feminine' do you feel? Why? Do you think it's a good thing for men to be manly and for women to be feminine or do you think it doesn't really matter? Again, why?

Overlord Drakow
August 29th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Hell yeah I am manly with my MAN SWEAT and generally being OP. I think it's a good thing for a man to be manly because then I won't view them as being a god damn pansy. That's a good thing, right? As for women, I don't mind so much as long as they aren't extremely feminine or masculine otherwise I'll either be like woman plz or wtfurmoarmanlythanme.

Snowdrop
August 29th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I'm a chick, I'm more feminine than masculine in most ways. I'm also what you might consider gender neutral in a lot of ways, too. I just like a lot of things that are considered girly, like the color pink, shopping, adorable things, etc. It also kind of annoys me when girls pride themselves at not being feminine and attacking classic examples of femininity if that makes any sense. Not sure why, though.

Eucliffe
August 29th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I'm a bit of both genders, tbh ^^; Like, I tend to be more interested in things considered "boyish" but I have a more girlish demeanor (with exceptions to both, of course). That said, I don't think it's important if a guy is "manly" or a girl is "womanly". Society may imply that that should be the case, but I think you should be who you are. Screw society; it's messed up anyway, no?

Oryx
August 29th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I'm a woman and recently became much more feminine, but I've always been a cheerleader for cute things and the like, I just started dressing in a more feminine way lately.

As far as masculinity and femininity and social roles, the best way I can put my opinion without being too in-depth is that if the choice to be that way is an informed choice, do whatever you want. There's a difference between a choice dictated by society and a choice that you put thought into and considered society's impact and decided how to handle it.

Ursula
August 29th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I think concepts of masculinity and femininity are incredibly archaic and limited as is the preconceived notion that gender is male and female. It's a lot more ambiguous than that. I believe people should feel free to act however they wish to act without judgment. '~'

TornZero
August 29th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I think concepts of masculinity and femininity are incredibly archaic and limited as is the preconceived notion that gender is male and female. It's a lot more ambiguous than that. I believe people should feel free to act however they wish to act without judgment. '~'

Don't forget that many things that are considered masculine or feminine can be flipped without a second thought. For example, blue was feminine, while masculinity was represented by pink around 1910. Dresses were also gender neutral until recently. A Cracked article (http://www.cracked.com/article_19780_5-gender-stereotypes-that-used-to-be-exact-opposite.html) details it well, with quite a few good examples.

~

Anyways, back (more) on topic, I see myself nice and in between masculinity and femininity, concerning demeanor, interests and how I present myself.

Esper
August 29th, 2012, 11:43 AM
*natural

q9nSU2hAqK4

I think things are ambiguous, like Erik Destler said, but to use the terms as people commonly understand them, I'd say I'm a mix, though more feminine than masculine.

I think it's good for people to do what they feel like doing, regardless of whether it's considered masculine or feminine, or they consider themselves male, female, or whatever. I wouldn't want someone to act in a way that makes them uncomfortable because of societal pressures about their gender.

Hikamaru
August 30th, 2012, 06:26 AM
I'm female but I act more male.

If one looks at my personality and quirkiness, you can tell I was inspired by men. I also don't wear skirts a lot and my voice sounds not-so-girly at all. And also, I don't use pink text a lot.

On the other hand, most of my room has pink and purple in it, which are considered very feminine colors. I also like to have a plushie in bed with me, which is considered common with females.

I agree with Scarf, it's good for people to feel like what they're doing. It doesn't matter what gender you are but at least you are proud of it.

I always see myself nice between my masculinity and femininity. I often present myself as female but my personality often suggests male.

So yeah, I am sort of gender neutral like what Snowdrop said.

Dakota
August 30th, 2012, 06:39 AM
I'm a guy, but I have characteristics of both, I guess. I do have the typical masculine traits that society deems masculine, which would be playing sports, working out, the typical jazz. However, I have a more feminine demeanor also, where I love cute things, and love taking care of little kids. And I like pink, although I'm not obsessed over it.

Then again, Erik said it perfectly when it comes to discerning the difference between masculinity and femininity.

Penta Penguin
August 30th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I'm a guy, but you could say that I fit on the borderline of Masculinity and Femininity. I do sports and stuff (for the masculine side) and I seem to like cute things (for the feminine side). I know there is a lot more than that, but I don't wanna really go into detail.

Kevin
August 30th, 2012, 08:09 AM
I'm a guy, but I have characteristics of both, I guess. I do have the typical masculine traits that society deems masculine, which would be playing sports, working out, the typical jazz. However, I have a more feminine demeanor also, where I love cute things, and love taking care of little kids. And I like pink, although I'm not obsessed over it.This, basically. And I don't really care what people think, society is already messed up, like Roswell said.

Sammi
August 30th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I'm a woman and definitely act like it in some parts. I'm aaaaaaall about the cute things, for example. I don't really dress the part, though. Makeup is tedious (and I don't know how to apply most of it anyway!), I hate doing my hair, and I rarely wear skirts/dresses/pretty shoes. Not that I hate those things, just that I don't the majority of the time.

Not a fan of gender roles, though. It all seems silly and unfair to the people who don't fit in them. People should just be themselves and not have people pick on them because it goes against how society says their gender should act. :/

PlatinumDude
August 30th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I feel manly most, if not all of the time. I try to stick to masculine things most of the time.

이큐리
August 31st, 2012, 08:55 PM
Some times I feel really feminine because I love all the girly things/clothes.
But most of the time I feel like a tom boy. I wear a lot of basketball shorts/sweatpants/workout pants/baggy t-shirts/sneakers.

I feel like a boy at times.

Galdr
August 31st, 2012, 09:01 PM
Women tend to be more emotional than men. That's what I think.

Anyway, to the topic, I feel as if I'm not "womanly" enough, nor am I "manly" enough. I'm pretty neutral, since I can act like both. But I have to remember than I am still female, and should act like a young lady than trying to be something I'm not. I'm definitely not a man, but there could be some things that pertain to me having manly qualities. like having hair growing under a chin I do some things that a typical boy would do, like burp loudly and rudely in front of guests or something, and don't really care about it; something unladylike.

Katholic Nun
September 2nd, 2012, 04:31 AM
I've thought about this question a lot, and I've come to the realisation that I don't really feel manly, but I don't feel feminine either. I don't feel like a 'man' or a 'woman', I feel 'boyish'. Like a care-free little boy who has some vague notion of what he "should" be on the gender scale but doesn't spend a great deal of time thinking about it because it'll still be years before it's of any importance to him.

As for whether men should be men and women should be women, no I shouldn't think so. I think we need to stop thinking of everything in binary and start to think of things as a spectrum or a continuum, where every person gets to identify where along the line they belong, regardless of their physical sex.

Anna
September 5th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I dunno. I don't feel masculine or feminine. I feel like me. I do what I want and I like what I want. Gender roles and traits do not apply to me in my mind because like... I'm not defined by my gender, though it is part of what defines me.

I get a bit uncomfortable when others start talking to me in terms of my gender though. Like when my stepmum is like 'oh I'm so glad I have a daughter now' or starts talking about the boy to girl ratio in our family and how we girls are outnumbered by the guys and need to band together. I just think that really people should be seen as who they are and not what their gender is. And with three children who naturally defy gender roles a bit, I don't think she should be saying that kind of thing. My stepbrother's already gone from being interested in everything to being interested in football teams and players and stats because that's considered more manly. He's never been manly, really. But once he kind of figured out social interaction and gender roles he immediately went straight to the 'manly' side. It's... distressing, actually.

People should be who they want to be and like what they want and do what they want as long as it's not hurting anyone. Because diversity is more fun and interesting and forcing people to adhere to gender roles kind of limits that, I think.

Ephemeral Euphoria
September 5th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I'm 110% male but I tend to act female sometimes when I'm either esctatic about a certain something or if something ever ends up making me feel depressed. Thankfully I don't experience those particular feelings that often so my masculinity is unchallenged for the most part.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
September 7th, 2012, 01:13 PM
The majority of the signatures I've used in the past here should be testament to how "un-manly" I am. In a lot of things, from what anime I watch, to what clothes I would like to wear if I *was* the opposite gender, suggests I'm not all that manly. I *do* have an interest in cars, but that's probably about the most manly thing about me xD

But I think that's fine for society in general. Being born a specific gender shouldn't keep a person from liking certain things or behaving in a certain manner.

AzaleaLightning
September 7th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I'm pretty androgynous as far as interests go, but I lean more on the feminine side. I do still pride myself on being a woman, but don't go to extremes to let everyone else know like obsessing on overly obnoxious "cute" things (I'm looking at you, Hello Kitty) and overdoing the makeup/presentation.

I hate hypermasculinity and hyperfeminity. It's the source of failed relationships and overall douchey/*****y people. Society needs much less of it.

Arago
September 8th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Judging strictly based on how I feel, I feel I'm androgynous. Judging on how I view masculinity and femininity, I'm 100% masculine just by being a guy. Judging on how society views masculinity and femininity, I'd say I'm about 60% masculine and 40% feminine.

I'm not sure if it's progressive of me or not of my view of masculinity and femininity being so black and white, when there are so many people out there with gender identity issues, but I guess I feel that if you're a girl biologically, you're a girl as a gender even if you act like how society depicts a guy to act, and likewise for "girly" guys.

I'm 110% male but I tend to act female sometimes when I'm either esctatic about a certain something or if something ever ends up making me feel depressed. Thankfully I don't experience those particular feelings that often so my masculinity is unchallenged for the most part.
Oh snap. 110%?!