View Full Version : Which grass starter do you think has the best moveset?

October 30th, 2012, 5:58 PM
I think Treeko has the best moves, because they can learn a variety of TMs.

October 30th, 2012, 6:14 PM
Well Venusaur can utilize its movepool the best, but Sceptile and Torterra both have very interesting movepools. Meganium learns a lot of support moves, and Serperior is just OK.

I would go with Venusaur because it is the best battler and can make the best use of its movepool. I went with the evolutions because you use them more.

The Grubby Pup
October 30th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Outta all the starters, I think Venusaur learns the best, Torterra doesn't fall that far behind. It learns a bunch Attack base attacks like Razor Leaf, Bite, Crunch and Earthquake...C where I'm comin' from?

But battling wise...Actually using a Venusaur would be da best pick outta all the grass starters. Firstly, it's part Poison and can get STAB from the Poison Type attacks it can use; which automatically gives it an advantage against the other starters.

Except for Torterra, but hit it with a powerful enough special attack; a stat in which Venusaur has a decent amount in, it can take it down.

October 30th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I went with Treecko here, cos Sceptile actually has a pretty impressive but interesting movepool for a Grass-type. It gets Dragon Claw to hit hard against Dragons that would otherwise resist Grass and it also gets Aerial Ace to keep Bug-types in check.

Even though Gen 4's Physical-Special split hit it hard, it does get Swords Dance to boost its physical attack power which can make Leaf Blade hit hard.

October 31st, 2012, 12:11 AM
I went with Treeko/Grovyle/Sceptile because I feel it has got the most variety in its overall movepool. By level-up its has reasonable moves but it gets a very diverse learnset when you consider it can learn a huge variety of TMs to counter its weaknesses or pokemon that resist it (Dragon Claw, Brick Break, Arial Ace, X-Scissor, Earthquake also I think).

Torterra falls fairly close behind for me just because it can utilize powerful ground type moves with STAB and help negate its weakness to fire types.

October 31st, 2012, 3:41 AM
It's definitely not my favorite grass starter, but for usability in battle I'd go with le tree gecko and its reptilian evolutions. They fit my style of battling, SP atk & Speed is my thing.

October 31st, 2012, 9:09 AM
It's a tie between Treecko and Turtwig. The Treecko line has a wide offensive movepool, even though its Special one is a bit smaller than its Physical one. The Turtwig line has a good movepool on the offensive and defensive ends.

October 31st, 2012, 9:36 AM
Sceptile hands down, the other Grass-types only learn the generic SolarBeam, Synthesis, etc.

October 31st, 2012, 2:25 PM
I think Venausaur is best :)

November 1st, 2012, 1:18 PM
Definitely Toterra, at least from the knowledge I have of Sceptile. Haven't seen any updated move lists for Sceptile, but all I remember it having was Leaf Blade.

Torterra's got Earthquake and some other nice moves that work well offensively and defensively.

Mr Cat Dog
November 1st, 2012, 3:17 PM
Oh my god, Torterra in a heartbeat. I never used it, but if I were forced to utilise one of the Grass starters in a team, it would definitely get my vote. An awesome secondary type results in STAB Earthquake AND Giga Drain AND Crunch (non-STAB but still awesome). I really can't argue with that.