PDA

View Full Version : It's either the dog or your job! You choose.

Guy
October 31st, 2012, 07:42 AM
You are walking down the street on your way to work. There is a dog drowning in the canal on the side of the street. Your boss has told you if you are late even once more, you are fired. Do you take the time to save the dogs life? Why or Why not?

Overlord Drakow
October 31st, 2012, 07:47 AM
UGH. Considering I got employed a few months ago after searching for so long, this is really hard on me.

Ultimately though I reckon I'd save the life and lose my job. I've gotten pretty good at the whole employment game so I think I'd be able to land another job without taking as long as last time rofl.

LegendaryMohawk
October 31st, 2012, 07:54 AM
Can I prepose a 'Save the dog and keep the job' option? Depending if your boss is in a good mood, he might accept the fact that you saved the dogs life... Or not care and sack you on the spot...

But I would save the dog everytime anyway, so even if I did get fired I'd still have a dog to help me forget the bad news.

Sammi
October 31st, 2012, 08:20 AM
It may sound harsh, but I'm going to work. If I lose my job, I lose my income, and I cannot afford that. I'm not making my life extra hell for a dog that I can't even take care of. It sucks that the dog's going to drown, but I've got bills to pay. :(

Blade_of_darkness
October 31st, 2012, 08:29 AM
I'm not a dog person at all, so I'll just keep walking without a second glance if I saw one drowning. It's way not worth losing my source of income over saving a dog (or any animal really) from the clutches of the reaper. Sacrifices have to be made, & that's the kind that I'm willing to take.

Mochi
October 31st, 2012, 08:29 AM
It may sound harsh, but I'm going to work. If I lose my job, I lose my income, and I cannot afford that. I'm not making my life extra hell for a dog that I can't even take care of. It sucks that the dog's going to drown, but I've got bills to pay. :(

^ This, it's cruel but true. As much as it'd hurt me and I'd probably be bummed out majorly about not saving the dog's life, it's better than losing your source of income.

PlatinumDude
October 31st, 2012, 09:13 AM
I'd make a quick call to 911 to save the dog, then make a break for it to the work place.

Wateria
October 31st, 2012, 09:25 AM
Couldn't I just phone my local RSPCA ?

I'd would rather risk my life that a job (only because I am too young for one)

Shiny Celebi
October 31st, 2012, 09:38 AM
I would never ever just let a dog drown. Most likely I wouldnt have a good job that paid a lot anyway, so Id save the dog. I love animals and it would be cruel to just let one drown and die. I could phone the SPCA but there's no garentee they would get there in time.

Esper
October 31st, 2012, 10:49 AM
UGH. Considering I got employed a few months ago after searching for so long, this is really hard on me.

Ultimately though I reckon I'd save the life and lose my job. I've gotten pretty good at the whole employment game so I think I'd be able to land another job without taking as long as last time rofl.
Plus you can possibly use it in future interviews if you find out someone who might hire you is an animal lover.

I would save the dog, assuming I could do this without putting myself in danger. If I get fired for that my boss is probably awful to work for and/or it was always an unsteady job and not likely to last anyway.

Overlord Drakow
October 31st, 2012, 11:10 AM
Plus you can possibly use it in future interviews if you find out someone who might hire you is an animal lover.

I would save the dog, assuming I could do this without putting myself in danger. If I get fired for that my boss is probably awful to work for and/or it was always an unsteady job and not likely to last anyway.

That's a very good point actually and I didn't even consider it.

Employer: "So why did you end up losing your job?"
Me: "I chose to save the life of an animal which subsequently made me late to work so my boss fired me."
Employer: "Oh . . . that's so inspirational! YOU'RE HIRED!"

DING DING DING!

Well OK the ending won't be quite like that but yeah I can see how it could all roll out.

Sydian
October 31st, 2012, 11:52 AM
My boss would totally forgive me if I saved a dog though haha. He likes dogs. I'd take pics as proof! So I'm saving the doggie, duh. :(

Kura
October 31st, 2012, 12:33 PM
Call me coldhearted, but I wouldn't save the dog. I'd call the police, though.
Though my work's pretty good with that sort of thing. I'd just call or text my lead and help the dog. But I know what this is asking- life of an animal or my job? I choose my job.. sorry doggie.

Basically for me it's what Sammi said~

Overlord Drakow
October 31st, 2012, 12:56 PM
What if it was a human life as opposed to an animal? What then would you do?

Hoenn
October 31st, 2012, 01:18 PM
I'm not a fan of dogs but if I saw one in that situation I would save it. If you lose a job it's not like you aren't going to get another, surely it will take time given the economy but eventually something will come along.

Riko
October 31st, 2012, 03:49 PM
i'll just go to work and tell my boss to go save the dog or i quit! period

TRIFORCE89
October 31st, 2012, 04:03 PM
Even without the threat from work, I wouldn't save the dog. I don't know how deep or fast moving the water is. Why put yourself in harm's way? Call the police or something.

Synerjee
October 31st, 2012, 05:44 PM
I will Definitely save the dog first. Or at least try. I have a huge emotional attachment to animals, especially dogs. Of course, I won't jump into the water straight away but will look for an alternative before considering. About the job, you can get a new job if you're sacked, but once a dog is gone, you can't get it back. An animal's life equals a human's life.

LividZephyr
October 31st, 2012, 07:25 PM
This would depend on my boss. If my boss saw me soaking wet and asked "What the hell happened?" I would say, "A dog was drowning. I saved its life. Can I dry off?"

I'm sure my boss would understand. I'd have shown a strength of character that he'd like.

Of course, if my boss was a "No exceptions, no nonsense" kind of person... I don't know. I just couldn't live with myself if I let the dog die. And a good boss would be understanding. If I got fired for sparing a dog's life, then they wouldn't be worth working for anyway.

The one thing that gets me here is the whole being late for work thing. Why would I be late EVER unless I saved a dog's life?

October 31st, 2012, 07:34 PM
At this point in my life, if I had a job, it wouldn't be anything that I'm actually going to be doing for the rest of my life since I'm still in school. So I'd glady get fired to save a dog's life. The line gets blurry though. At what point do you stop saving a life? I don't even want to think about it. :/

Patchisou Yutohru
October 31st, 2012, 08:30 PM
I would save the dog. I'm in a situation like this at work right now. I have absolutely no time for a single late or absence from work until the end of November because I'm one point away from being suspended from work and two points away from being fired. I would still save the dog. I wouldn't be able to live with the guilt of being the reason a dog died. It would eat me up, and its survival would be more important to me than I job that I don't necessarily need at this point in my life.

Sodom
November 1st, 2012, 06:32 AM
I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I saw a dog drowning and just kept walking, no matter what was at stake for me. I know money is important, but the thought that that dog is in the water, terrified and about to die, and I could have stopped it yet did absolutely nothing... I shudder to think!

If an employer is such an ******* that he/she would see me lose my job for saving a dog's life, well... I guess that says more about them than it does about me and I might not want to work for them anyway.

Hikamaru
November 1st, 2012, 07:20 AM
I would rather pick my job over the dog, given how I depend on my work performance a lot and I do act a little evil around animals.

So yeah, I would not give up my job to save that dog cos work is my priority.

Galukxy
November 1st, 2012, 10:05 AM
I'd just call the police or the RSPCA. I wouldn't want to risk my own life, plus a job I have to save a dog that decided to go play in a canal. Work always comes first with me.

xxReshiramxx
November 1st, 2012, 10:15 AM
I wouldn't attempt to save the dog over the possibility of getting hurt. As well as risking losing my job I would call 9-1-1 and continue to head off to work.

Doppelgänger
November 1st, 2012, 11:01 AM
Dog's life, no question. You can always get another job, the dog doesnt get another life.

Brynjolf
November 1st, 2012, 06:04 PM
I'm not a dog person.
In fact, I'm much more of a frugal person than anything else.
I would most definitely go to work.

Maybe not if the dog was cute enough. (I am cruel, I know)

Hannah
November 3rd, 2012, 12:08 AM
I'd save the dog. I'm not an animal-person, but animals have lives, and letting it drown is like murdering a human being. I wouldn't even think twice. Plus, I'm too young to have a job, so I don't understand why jobs are that important.

Aeon
November 3rd, 2012, 05:13 PM
I would, Generally stuff like that are things I cannot let go without remorse. Plus my job situation right now as is is going awry anyway.

Squirrel
November 3rd, 2012, 06:39 PM
Ideally I'd do anything I could to save the dog to the extent of not missing work (eg call for help, call the boss up, etc), but in the end I don't know what I'd do if it was 100% one or the other... I don't think I could leave the dog drowning there, I'd feel way too bad about it, so I'd probably end up saving it and getting fired. You can get a new job but that dog can't get a new life. I'm not sure I'd really want to work for someone that would fire you for that anyway :p Although can't dogs swim?

Twilight Sky
November 12th, 2012, 09:34 PM
My boss would totally forgive me if I saved a dog though haha. He likes dogs. I'd take pics as proof! So I'm saving the doggie, duh. :(

This. I'd have nightmares if I just walk past without doing anything, so I might as well take my chances.

Fuyuki~
November 12th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Dog's life. I'm sure if I walked into the office all soaking wet my boss'd be more concerned than anything and ask what had happened. I'm too much of an animal lover to live with the fact that I effectively caused an animals' death.

Correspondence
November 12th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Definitely dog's life.You could just get another job but not another life.

♣Gawain♣
November 13th, 2012, 03:58 AM
IF the dog is a Husky or Colie I would save it. If it's mouth is full of spittle I would not. Besides, it also depends on my job. If I don't love my job, I would eagerly save that dog. Otherwise with the 2nd condition above, I'll prioritize my job.

Alinthea
November 13th, 2012, 04:00 AM
I would rather have my income to life on than save the dog. Yes, it is harsh but if my job is on the line, I am going to do my best to save it and do what I have to.

Aques Keus
November 14th, 2012, 06:16 PM
My job if it is over a 50k yearly or so income, if less then the dog. I generally don't have a moral compas when it comes to animals and I'm not risking my (long term) life for a dog when I know that there are hundreds more dying elsewhere. Also if I save this dog and give it to a vet, they will impound it and likely will die in captivity because nobody wants it. So then I have to choose between keeping the dog (more wasted money) or letting it die elsewhere (only delaying its death.)

Currently with my job I would, my employer is techincly myself so to get fired would be pretty hard. Though it is possible, like striking out in T-ball. If this was a human situation it would be different though, I value a human life more than a dog's because statistically (in this country) they are more valuable.

dunnjean
November 14th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I'm going to save the dog, of course, considering I don't go to work. If I did go to work, I'd still save the dog because it's a dog. Man's best friend, and I'm forever alone.

Sheep
November 14th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I'll be harsh and say I'd also go for my job instead of the dog. I need the income and can't afford to spend months hunting for a job again, especially in this economy.

Will feel bad about it, of course, but that's just how it is for me. ):

GolurkIsDaBomb
November 14th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Sorry kids, you're going to go hungry tonight. And the next night.

SO not having had a real job/not having to support myself or anyone else, of course I would have to say I would save the dog. Perhaps that would change if the previous sentence wasn't true, but I don't think it would. I could never let a poor helpless animal die. I mean, it's easy to kill a mosquito/let it die, but I guess things change the more cells a creature has/if it's a domestic animal like a dog. I could NEVER live with myself if I let a dog drown. And for what? Sure to support my family, but we would get by somehow. The dog has no chance of fixing its life as it would be dead.

But most importantly, what is WRONG with my employer? Is he/she a sadist? I mean who fires someone for saving a life!? I'd gladly be fired for doing the right thing, in fact it's probably best to distance myself from this person. And quickly. :O

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
November 16th, 2012, 11:56 PM
In this economy and job market, combined with my bad experiences with (and severe allergies to) dogs, I would have to say the job. Though I would have to question my employer's moral code, I'd have to do that in silence, at least until a better job came along. Then I'd harp at him/her for their heartlessness.

Now, replace "dog" with "cute kitten" and suddenly the question just became 1,000 times harder. I have a feeling I'd mull over the decision too long and I'd lose both...

LilJz
November 20th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I'm a HUGE animal person. If my boss wanted to fire me because I saved a living being, then **** him. He ain't worth it. If I would have just let the dog drown there, I would always keep thinking about that poor dog dying and me just being selfish thinking about my job rather than saving a living being.
If my boss would fire me because I saved a dog's life then I probably would've quit anyways. I wouldn't take orders from someone who doesn't care about other living beings.