PDA

View Full Version : I'll just take my business elsewhere then, hateful scum!

Mr. Downstairs
November 3rd, 2012, 09:32 PM
A while ago, there was that Chick-Fil-A scandal thing that broke out in the United States. The CEO pretty much said that he doesn't agree with a non-traditional family unit (meaning he doesn't agree with gay marriage) when asked about it, and people reflected his personal opinion towards gay marriage with the company as a whole and were outraged and decided not to eat there anymore.

Are you someone who would let someone's personal opinion affect whether you take your business there or not?

Hannah
November 4th, 2012, 02:31 AM
No. Who the hell cares what they think? It's their opinion, and that shouldn't affect me at all.

Volcanix769
November 4th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Actually no. It's their opinion and you can't change what they individually think on gay marriage.

antemortem
November 4th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Absolutely not. When faced with this situation, I've come back to 'you can have your opinion, I'll have mine, but what it comes down to is that I want to eat my chicken here - you can eat yours somewhere else!' multiple times.

November 4th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I agree with pretty much everything stated above especially if the CEO was the only one who said this. The people were the ones who associated the comment with the whole company, which is definitely not the case. You're going to be faced with people that have different views on things, but you can't let that affect how you interact with them (for the most part).

Oryx
November 4th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I didn't eat at Chick-Fil-A during that, but it had nothing to do with his words, it was his actions. He has every right to think whatever he wants. However, some of the profits from CFA were going to groups that "support traditional marriage" by attacking the rights of gay people. I chose not to eat there because I didn't want my money going in a roundabout way towards those groups, however many ignorant people wanted to try to look down on me because they didn't actually understand the situation and assumed it had anything at all to do with free speech. I ate there after he changed his policy so although he still believes that marriage is between a man and a woman, he no longer donates profits from CFA to those organizations which was the real problem to begin with.

I can't say a personal opinion would never affect my business choices though, because sometimes personal choices affect the business. For example, if I was harassed by a clerk in a store for whatever reason, and the opinion of the store owner was that free speech should never be bound so nothing would be done about the harassing person, I wouldn't go there anymore because I wouldn't feel safe and comfortable shopping there.

Shiny Celebi
November 4th, 2012, 08:58 AM
i dont like Chik-Fil-A. I had heard the company gave money to organizations that worked to make gay marriage illegal and restrict their rights and I wasnt comfortable with that. It really depends on the views and their actions on whether or not I will support an institution in terms of doing business with them.

Tree_x
November 4th, 2012, 09:11 AM
i dont like Chik-Fil-A. I had heard the company gave money to organizations that worked to make gay marriage illegal and restrict their rights and I wasnt comfortable with that. It really depends on the views and their actions on whether or not I will support an institution in terms of doing business with them.

I agree with you and for me personally who doesn't eat there currently its because i believe in separation between the church and my chicken

Brynjolf
November 4th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't eat there, not because I'm gay, but because I don't really like fast-food chicken..
It does make me sad that some people do have the opinion that we shouldn't be able to get married, but, that's his opinion. Hate is far more a choice than love.

Brendino
November 4th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I think I'm kind of on the fence about this one. I personally don't agree with the beliefs of Chick-Fil-A's CEO and think it was the wrong choice that he made those remarks, but on the other hand, I'm sure a fair number of employees don't agree with what their CEO said, either. Unfortunately, if too many people boycott Chick-Fil-A because of the owner's beliefs, this will eventually end up hurting employees, and possibly cost them their jobs. I think if I were a fan of Chick-Fil-A and they existed around here, I would still go to the restaurant, but I would do it a lot less frequently.

Esper
November 4th, 2012, 05:28 PM
People's personal opinions eventually drive their actions one way or another. If there is a business and the top person or people in that business have some political view that they feel strongly enough about to voice openly you can be sure that they're acting in some way to support that view so, yeah, I do care about this kind of stuff. I would stop patronizing a business if I could. That's my right and my power and I don't like the thought that I'm supporting something bad.

TRIFORCE89
November 4th, 2012, 09:24 PM
If the company does something, then sure I'll take my business elsewhere. If an individual does or says something in their private life, then no I won't. People are temporary.

I need to dislike your product or service, or the way it is delivered, the price point, or company's morales. Not the morales of the company's head

droomph
November 4th, 2012, 09:26 PM
If you just have an opinion, I'm fine with that.

But if you do anything to reflect that opinion such that to hurt people, I won't be your customer anymore.

Aeon
November 4th, 2012, 11:23 PM
It depends on if they're just expressing their opinion and/or acting on it. In Chick-Fil-A's situation, they were acting on it. I don't have a problem with him thinking the way he did. However, the fact that he donated quite a bit to organizations notorious for trying to be oppressive towards the LGBT community bothers me. Then again, I don't eat there anyway so it didn't affect me too much.

Katholic Nun
November 5th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Yes. I won't pretend it's the most mature thing in the world, but if I were American I would never eat at Chick-Fil-A ever again. If the CEO won't support me, then I won't support his company. Same goes for any similar situation.

Essentially my reasoning is this. If you are important enough to have been granted a public voice, and you use that public voice unwisely, you should be prepared to deal with the consequences. It's really that simple. There's a difference between expressing an opinion and using public influence, and the size of your audience is that difference.

Mr Cat Dog
November 14th, 2012, 04:24 AM
People are temporary.
Ooooh, that's some deep philosophical stuff going on, Triffy!

But, yeah. If a company does something bad, then I won't provide it with my patronage. Despite the fact that I hate their clothes anyway, I really detest Hollister/Abercrombe & Fitch's business model and advertising campaigns; as such, I don't buy anything from them.

The one time I have stopped going somewhere due to the opinions of an individual person was a Subway restaurant near my house last year. There was a promotion during this time for some sub or something like that; the manager of this particular Subway wouldn't give it to me and wanted to charge full price, despite the fact that it said RIGHT ON THE COUPON that I could get a discount. We yelled at each other for five minutes, then I left without my food, and have never gone back to that restaurant. I've continued going to Subway, however. I went just yesterday, in fact. And I know that my boycott of this one restaurant won't mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but I still feel like I should do it; if I continued going there, then he'd have 'won', for want of a better phrase. And I wouldn't have liked that.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
November 17th, 2012, 12:00 AM
If it's a few individuals who are doing/saying/advocating something I feel is immoral, it wouldn't be enough for me to shun the entire company - even if those few individuals are among the highest on the chain of command.

Now, if it's company-wide policy and the vast majority of employees adhere to that belief, then I would probably take my business elsewhere. In fact, I did exactly that with Wal-Mart because of their corporate culture and policies.