View Full Version : Do you speak multiple languages?

Ice Car
November 7th, 2012, 4:29 PM
See title. Do you speak multiple languages, or at the very least understand them? What is your primary language?

My primary language is English, as you can probably tell if you take one look at my posts. I know about 1 high school year of Japanese, so I have the Katakana and Hiragana tables memorized completely and some basic words and grammar down. I believe that my channel description in my Youtube channel uses some of that grammar. "ふゆのトヨタはさむいですねえ。" Should roughly translate to "Winter Toyotas are cold aren't they?" So completely random, I just wanted to have a full sentence in Japanese in my channel title, that's all.

Okay, disregard that I said my channel title said that, I just changed it.

I wouldn't say I speak multiple languages because not only do I know a miniscule amount of Japanese, but I can't speak it without pausing for large amounts of times to think about what to say. It's not natural.

November 7th, 2012, 4:44 PM
I speak English and French, plus some Danish but I learnt that years ago so it's only basic conversation stuff now haha. One language that I've always wanted to learn though is Japanese. I had the opportunity to do so at university but for some reason I chose not to... I guess it's my own fault but I really would like to learn that language some time, preferably as soon as possible. It's such an interestingly formed language and so different to our's, I'd love to see how it all works and comes together.

Harley Quinn
November 7th, 2012, 4:53 PM
Being born in Paris, French is my native language...but I've forgotten the majority of it as time has gone on, since I've lived in New Zealand for far longer than I did in the west end of Paris. It's a shame that I can only barely remember the language I spoke as a young kid :((((( I've swapped the language of my youth for the one I am speaking now. Is that good or bad? Trading one of the most romantic languages of the world for by far the most convenient one. I still speak some French, but not enough to get by in conversation :/

November 7th, 2012, 5:36 PM
I can speak English and Malay - the national language of my country - fluently, though English is my first language. I also am able to speak basic Japanese as I have done a Japanese Introductory course this semester. It's not very fluent, but it's getting there, I hope. I know limited Chinese as well, since it was a compulsory subject during my primary school years, but inside the huge borders of the Chinese language, I probably only know about 5 - 10%. I'm not confident about speaking Chinese although I myself am Chinese because I've been brought up in an English-speaking family.

November 7th, 2012, 6:53 PM
English and Spanish, I typically don't like multiple languages as it is a barrier for people. Though since English and Spanish are similar I do have an easier time learning them together.

November 7th, 2012, 7:15 PM
Like most people here, my primary language is English, but I'm currently learning Spanish at my college.

November 7th, 2012, 7:27 PM
Polish was my first language. So i speak that, english, latin, french, and sort of sign language.

November 7th, 2012, 7:45 PM
I speak English annnnnd that's it. I didn't take language in school, besides the small amount Spanish I learned in elementary.

November 7th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I just speak English right now, although I love translating text into other languages online occasionally.

November 7th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I speak some chinese munnnnndurrrinnnn, but it makes me grrrrwhen I am forced to speak it.

I'm also learning German and Japanese, I'm getting a bit better at it every day.

And also, I like probing Korean and Russian, and finding bits and pieces that I haven't learned.

oh and if you're wondering no I don't speak english

November 8th, 2012, 1:54 AM
I can only speak my first language of English. I was learning French at school but failed to remember any of it.

November 8th, 2012, 2:35 AM
I'm a Filipina, so I speak the Filipino language. I speak English, mostly, but I can also speak a bit of Spanish, Korean, German, and I'm currently learning French.

November 8th, 2012, 2:47 AM
As a Filipino, I only know English and Filipino as languages. That's it... But I do understand a little Spanish....

November 8th, 2012, 5:42 AM
I know Arabic, English, a bit of french and currently learning Japanese~

Team Fail
November 8th, 2012, 5:48 AM
Je connais un peut français, et je parle anglais bien.

Ok yeah. If you can't read that awful French, it says "I know some French, and I speak English well." Aside from French and English though, I am wanting to learn Japanese, and I do know various characters so far.

November 8th, 2012, 6:35 AM
I speak English and Dutch fluently, with a basic understanding of German.

November 8th, 2012, 7:41 AM
Ja, selvfølgelig!

I of speak my Danish, my native language, as I still live here in Denmark, and English should also be kind of self-explanatory. I also know a bit of German, although it's not a language I want to learn, due to having the worst teacher ever, and I plan of completely avoiding it once it isn't an obligatory subject anymore. Other than that, I only know a few words and sentences in a few other languages, and can understand languages like Swedish and Norwegian, but that's about as far as it goes.

Overlord Drakow
November 8th, 2012, 7:50 AM
Just English for me. Unless you count a few bits and pieces of Japanese.

November 8th, 2012, 8:03 AM
I speak English as my Home (Main Language) and Afrikaans as my Secondary language. Beat that.

Oh yeah, I used to be able to speak a few phrases of Sotho but it has escaped me in recent years. I've also somehow (inexplicably) been able to slowly start to understand certain japanese words, without even looking at the subtitles.

November 8th, 2012, 8:28 AM
I'm from Mexico, so Spanish is my native language even though the first language I learned when I started talking was English! My parents wanted me to grow up speaking both languages, and honestly that was hard. D:

On my spare time, I learn Italian. Thanks to me knowing Spanish, Italian seems easier for me sometimes and I can understand it.

November 8th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Just English, here. I used to know a tiny bit of Spanish from Middle School, but I forgot what I learned.

November 8th, 2012, 2:18 PM
I took French from about 5th grade all the way through high school, so I can basically read and listen to things in French, and understand what they mean (speaking and writing it, though, I'm not really good at). Aside from that and being native in English, I can't speak any other languages other than a few words that I've learned in Japanese, Spanish, Korean and German.

November 8th, 2012, 5:02 PM
Just English now.

I took about four years or so of German, but it's been so long since I've used it that I've basically forgotten it. :(

Poke Fox
November 8th, 2012, 5:44 PM
I speak English and Spanish at home, I'm fluent in two. I'm slowly learning Japanese and Swahili. I also understand a few sentences in many other languages I will not be able to learn them.

November 8th, 2012, 5:45 PM
English is my main language. I live in Australia. I use to be pretty decent in French when I learnt it in Year 7, so about 5 years ago. But I didn't bother learning anymore so I forgot basically everything.

November 8th, 2012, 5:57 PM
English, because practically everybody has to learn it. I also know Mandarin, forced to learn it because the government says so, Min Nan Hua (aka taiwanese/hokkien/whateveryoucallit), basic Cantonese, because i am one and some Malay (bahasa melayu).

November 8th, 2012, 6:15 PM
Monolingual Anglo-English speaker. I would otherwise only have use of Japanese but have not sought tutelage.

November 8th, 2012, 6:16 PM
Filipino and English, since I'm from the Philippines.
I can understand some japanese words (thanks to the anime) but I cannot read their language.
We had Mandarin at high school. I almost failed that class and forgotten any words I may have learned from it.
Some spanish too (thank you Dora the Explorer :) )

November 8th, 2012, 6:32 PM
English and some french along with my main language Arabic

November 8th, 2012, 7:19 PM
My dominant language is English and I'm not fluent in any other languages. However, I can understand and write fragments of Spanish. Furthermore, I would love to learn Spanish to the point of speaking is fluently and to write it fluently. I can also read Spanish, but it's not beneficial since I cannot understand it.

November 10th, 2012, 8:16 AM
I'm fluent in English besides my mothertongue.

November 10th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Fluent in both English and Russian. I'm a tiny bit rusty on bits and pieces of my Russian, but thankfully I get to practice by speaking at home with my parents! Have no one else to really speak it with.

November 10th, 2012, 1:05 PM
Since English is my native language, I can also speak a fair amount of French, basic Spanish, a tiny bit of Croatian, and a very tiny bit of Japanese.

French: Je parle Français, mais tres petit. Desolé ! (I speak French, but very little. Sorry!)
Spanish: Buenas Tardes, me llamo Bubblun, tengo 22 años. (Good afternoon, my name is Bubblun, I'm 22 years old.)
Croatian: Dobar Dan, zovem se Bubblun, drago mi je. (Good day, my name is Bubblun, nice to meet you.)
Japanese: こにちは, わたし は バブルン. げンきです か? (Hello, I am Bubblun, how are you?)

I learned French in school, Spanish in college, and Croatian and Japanese on my own accord. Hoping to speak a bit more than what I know.

November 10th, 2012, 3:13 PM
Being born in Paris, French is my native language...but I've forgotten the majority of it as time has gone on, since I've lived in New Zealand for far longer than I did in the west end of Paris. It's a shame that I can only barely remember the language I spoke as a young kid :((((( I've swapped the language of my youth for the one I am speaking now. Is that good or bad? Trading one of the most romantic languages of the world for by far the most convenient one. I still speak some French, but not enough to get by in conversation :/

This but with Italian. I was born in Canada but my parents are Italian so they taught me that first.. then I had to go to school and there was a language barrier.

I've forgotten it all, basically though..

November 10th, 2012, 3:18 PM
yo soy el puertorriqueno y no habla espanol
only language i speak is US english

November 10th, 2012, 3:39 PM
My primary languages are English and Chinese. I speak both Chinese and English at home. I am a Chinese American. I was born in the United States, and I was born Chinese. I know some Spanish since I take a Spanish class at school. I am able to speak Spanish somewhat well.

November 10th, 2012, 4:27 PM
My main language obviously is English, but I speak a bit of Polish because my grandma speaks it and everyone in my family speaks it a little. Mój polski nie jest bardzo dobra, choć. I have no grammar or spelling whatsoever, it's mostly speaking. I had to ask my mom where the accent went on 'choć'.

Escribo y hablo español. Yo era estudiante de AP Españoles, en mis tiempos. Y era parte de un programa de intercambio de estudiantes con mi escuela. Pero yo prácticamente sólo aprendió la jerga mientras que en la Ciudad de México.

Lamentablemente, mi español no es tan bueno como lo que solía ser.

November 10th, 2012, 11:17 PM
I understand/speak English, German, Swedish to a great extent.
Understand/speak enough Russian and Spanish to get around for about fifteen minutes in such a city.

November 11th, 2012, 12:47 AM
English and I can hold out on my own with Spanish. I can't say that I'm really fluent in it since I fumble on words and forget them a lot, but after hearing my mom speak spanish for twenty+ years now I can pretty much understand most of what she is saying when she's conversing in Spanish with others.

Nearsighted king of Ice
November 11th, 2012, 1:56 AM
I'm a filipino and I primarily speak filipino, I can also speak english and a little spanish.

Shining Raichu
November 12th, 2012, 5:06 PM
I learned French in high school and was the best at it in my entire school for all five years! I was pretty fluent!

Alas, I've been out of school for four years now and haven't studied it since, so I'm a tad rusty :P

November 12th, 2012, 5:19 PM
My primary language is English. Though I'm learning spanish in school bit-by-bit. I also speak canine, dragon, and gibberish.

November 12th, 2012, 5:46 PM
English, high school French, conversational Mandarin, and occasionally Japanese, but I can understand it more than I can speak it.

November 12th, 2012, 6:41 PM
English, and Cantonese (except writing, which I forgot most of). High school french as well I guess, but that equates to nothing at all lol.

November 13th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I grew up speaking English. I kind of wish I could've been raised to be bilingual but neither of my parents know another language beyond the basic French all Canadians learn so that's a no-go... and we moved around too much for me to end up in an immersion school or anything. (When I finally did end up in French Immersion, it was only for 4 months before we moved to an area that didn't have it.)

Probably like all Canadians in this thread, I speak a bit of French. I learnt it for about a decade in school, on and off, but I haven't used it much at all in years since I hate how it's taught in my university. :/ Almost minored in it but realized I don't actually like the language all that much. I'm glad I know it, but I don't keep up with it at all so I'm forgetting it pretty quickly. I can still read it pretty well, only needing to look up a word here and there. I can also understand it when it's spoken to me (so long as it's not Québecois spoken really quickly, ick). I can't respond very well, though, and if I had to hold an actual conversation in French I'd probably be floundering pretty quickly.

The third language I know is Japanese. My vocabulary is really dismal, but generally I can get by okay. And by get by, I mean when I watch things in Japanese, I'm usually okay to get the gist of everything no problem. Complicated things still trip me up a bit. My listening is a lot better than my reading which is a lot better than my spoken skill. I'm taking classes again for the first time in a while, though, so all of these are improving again. My kanji is pretty weak, though. I know a decent amount but in such a mixed manner: half the kanji I know, I know the meaning of it but not how it's read and the other half I know how to read it in a given context but have no idea what it means. Also the words I do know are so ridiculous because the majority of my practise is from playing video games, so I know all these weird, JRPG-ish terms but useful, everyday terms completely elude me haha.

There are plenty of languages I'd like to learn. I'm taking a fast-tracked Korean course next summer and I'm really excited about that. I'd also really like to learn Chinese (Mandarin) but it seems so daunting I'm not sure I ever will. :(

November 13th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Nope. Just English.

I live in a heavily Italian area, so my grade school offered Italian classes. So, I took those. ...being the only person in the class who didn't speak it at home and wasn't apparently already fluent really put me at a disadvantage. Depending on the year, the teacher decided either to move really fast and I didn't understand a thing. Or just not bother because everyone but me knew Italian, and we ended up playing Bingo instead. Also had some really really bad teachers who were like... confused deathly ill ancient Italian ladies who basically just said "hi" to us.

Then with French, because we're a bilingual country, and we're taught French in school... I also know nothing. Grade school was useless. Same stuff every year. French bingo. Word searches. How to use a dictionary. Learn about the winter festival in Quebec (I got to be Bonhomme one year!). Basically they baby sat us while our actual teacher went to the teacher's lounge. Oh we watched some trippy video with a magical pineapple in it. Had no clue what was going on there. Didn't actually learn how to read or speak though XD It was just to kill time. Which was so not helpful because my high school teacher took this all very seriously and I had not a clue what was going on. Tried my hardest and scrapped by. Was only required to take it once in high school. So, haven't done a thing with it since.

Actually for French in grade school, my classes seemed to be very proficient in harassing teachers so that we'd have nothing accomplished. Lots of provoking and starting arguments and having stuff thrown around the room. Not entirely useful :X

Edward Elric
November 14th, 2012, 6:07 PM
Just english, some spanish though from school. But yeah, I don't really have an interest in learning a new language.

November 16th, 2012, 5:59 PM
I can speak English and Tagalog, the latter gives me difficulties, though that is the language I speak at school. I'm currently learning Dutch and French, though learning Dutch is more, um, important to me than mastering French. I tried learning Italian as well, since it was very easy to learn for me, but I gave up after a week. I plan to get back on it soon when I master French, which will be for a long time, haha.

Satoshi Ookami
November 17th, 2012, 4:43 AM
I'm from Czech Republic so my main language ought to be Czech... well... but in fact I'm starting to use English more xD
But native is Czech.
I know English, pretty good Japanese (improving pretty quickly) and a bit of German.

November 17th, 2012, 8:37 AM
Pues, hablan muy poco Espanol, pero hablan bien Ingles.
That's about the extent of my languages. Though I am going to start learning German soon, and I'm really excited. It sounds like such a cool language. :)

November 17th, 2012, 8:41 AM
Dutch is my native language, but I speek English fluently. I can also speak French and German!
Might take Spanish class or something someday!

von Weltschmerz
November 17th, 2012, 8:42 AM
I speak English and Spanish. But through learning Spanish... I understand how languages work and could easily put my efforts into learning another language. It really isn't that hard when you actually understand how to SPEAK the language rather than just regurgitate it.

My Pico
November 17th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I speak American yo. American Ghetto language yo.

November 17th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I can speak bits and pieces of the Romance languages, albeit badly. XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
November 18th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I pretty much only speak English, the little bit of Spanish I remember from over 10 years ago, and limited amounts of Japanese (usually just single words) that I pick up from my obsessive anime watching.

So, in normal everyday conversation, no. English is all I speak normally. What sucks was that I did very well in my Spanish classes when I took them but it's just been so long since my last one.