PDA

View Full Version : Would you sell your old games?

seeker
November 15th, 2012, 05:51 PM
There's many games that take old games for cash or trade-in value. Even for more cash than your average current generation game! So for games dating back to the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, would you sell them back to a shop now for the same price that you bought them for (or near enough), or do you prefer to hold onto them for archival and collection purposes?

Zapperz
November 16th, 2012, 02:51 AM
id rather keep my old games, mostly for nostalgia. perhaps might consider selling it to someone when ive got an eye-catching offer. preferably more than what ive paid for.

holdmykidney
November 16th, 2012, 04:27 AM
I do tend to hoard, out of nostalgia, but recently I've found that nearly three decades of collecting games has meant that I need to be selective about the games I keep.

It's not so much the really old games; I have Spectrum and Amiga game boxes which I love and cherish like museum pieces. The ones that cause the most problem for me are PS1, PS2 and DS games.

They're not generally old enough to have real collectable value yet, either. I often think if I'm only going to get 50p or £1 for selling them on I may as well keep hold of them. If I do trade them it's usually just to make space.

I've held on to many of them in the belief that I will replay them at some point, but realistically I have as-yet-unplayed games on my shelf, so when are old titles going to get a second look?

Having said that I did dig Vib Ribbon out for the first time in about 7 years. It's still mad and great!

Hikamaru
November 16th, 2012, 05:22 AM
I would never sell my games since I need my fix of nostalgia.

Not to mention some of my faves were ones I played during my childhood, so again, nostalgia reasons.

Mr. Magius
November 16th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I would sell the ones I never played or didn't like. I'm keeping all of my Pokémon games and whatnot, for example.

Talli
November 16th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I am made to to give my old games to my nephew as someone thinks selling them is bad idea. So I haven't got a choice on selling them or not.

JayD
November 16th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I would sell the games I didn't play alot or the ones that I didn't like at all.
But besides that, I would keep the games I enjoyed as a kid. Since I need my share of nostalgia once in a while.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
November 16th, 2012, 11:40 PM
All my old games were given away along with the system to younger relatives. The oldest games in my collection now are GameCube ones, as well as Leaf Green. Don't have anything older than that.

Now, if I did have my old games still, it would honestly depend on how much I liked playing them or whether I could make a killing on selling them. Nostalgia goes by the wayside when I can get $500 for something I paid $30 or $40 when it first came out - unless I really, really enjoyed said "collector's item" game.

I am known to sell games that I didn't enjoy playing.

Aeon
November 17th, 2012, 05:53 AM
I always keep my older games and consoles. Often if I rid of them I get seller's remorse, and wind up rebuying the game, and it might turn into a cycle of repurchasing and reselling again and again.

Icy Burn
November 17th, 2012, 05:55 AM
I would wait until I was 50, then sell them all. They'd be legendary then.

Tetrakeet
November 17th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Each game I have is a memory, so I keep them all. Getting rid of a game is like losing a (good) piece of my past. I can pick any game and instantly go back to that time and the age I was at that time, and relive memories from that time period. I love having my old games for that reason! Luckily for me that they are small and easy to store, or I'd have a problem. ^^;

Osiris
November 17th, 2012, 10:43 PM
There have been certain times where I've sold some of my old games, either because I wasn't a particularly big fan of the game or it something like a FIFA, where I had the newer version and didn't need the old one. Other times, though, I have held on to some of my older games, even if I don't play them anymore. I rarely find myself going back to try them, but I guess it's always good to have that option down the road.

bojjenclon
November 17th, 2012, 11:09 PM
It definitely depends on the game. Some of my favorites will stay with me either forever or until I lose them; even if I never play them again. Looking through my game drawer and seeing a classic like Tales of Symphonia or Okami brings back all kinds of great memories. Those memories are worth way more than the mediocre payment I'd receive for trading them in. Now, if the game sucked, that's another story entirely...

Juicy
November 18th, 2012, 12:45 AM
I've sold many games that I wish I had kept. Nowadays, if I enjoy the game I will hold onto it. If I don't enjoy it then I'll still hold onto it, but more out of laziness and it not being worth much if I chose to sell it.

Fenrir Reki
November 19th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I would never want to sell my old games, mainly because at some point I would want to go back and play them. I already made the mistake once by selling every single one of my DS, PS2, Wii, and Gamecube games, and even though I got an enormous amount of money from it, I regret selling those games because I had some amazing games in that collection.

Katamari
November 19th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I'm definitely a video game hoarder, I still have my very first GBC game. And all games that I haven't lost up to now.

I would definitely still be playing my SNES if my cat hadn't chewed up the wires for it :(

Nearsighted king of Ice
November 20th, 2012, 05:00 AM
I'd rather not sell my old games, in fact the only game I owned that I sold was "Naruto ninja council 4" and that's because I was scrapped for cash

Meganium
November 21st, 2012, 08:02 PM
I have a few N64 and Xbox (the FIRST xbox) games laying around my closet somewhere, but I would rather keep them for collection purposes rather than to sell. I always thought they wouldn't be worth that much, so keeping them would be essential. \o/

Sometime in the future I'll have a storage space and store my games in there. :D

Alli
November 21st, 2012, 08:10 PM
I never sell games. I don't sell a game unless I absolutely didn't like it, it has no nostalgic value to me, and I would never play it again. Replay value is important to me, so I like to have hard copies of games and be able to play multiple times. I'm also a bit of a collector. Not a hardcore collector, but I like to have things, especially when later in life, most people no longer have it and I'm still sitting here holding on to it. Lately I've gotten into boxes and manuals, and it kills me that I lost all my N64 manuals (threw the boxes away, dumb kid) during some moves when I was younger.

As for consoles, I never sell consoles. Those are the main hub to play the good and bad games. Why would you EVER get rid of that? Even crap like the Atari Jaguar and the 3DO that you probably wouldn't wanna play...just to say "hey I have a 3DO remember that ****?" would be awesome for a nerd like me. Not gonna go out and buy one, but my point still stands. Selling games is more understandable than selling the whole console, though.

Besides, I've got kids and grandkids to educate in the far future. You can't do it properly without an N64!

Captain Fabio
November 22nd, 2012, 02:32 AM
I, most likely, wouldn't. I do have a couple of old games from the 90's, but I doubt they will reach anything of huge value on the resale market.

Unless it is a very rare and would fetch a lot of money, I wouldn't sell it. :3

Poke Fox
November 22nd, 2012, 12:59 PM
My Pokemon games I will never sell them, what if I want to play them later, again. Most of my other games, Sell or trade, I don't mind, (in my opinion) they aren't as important as my PokeGames.

Serene Grace
November 23rd, 2012, 01:21 AM
I really don't sell any of my video games, to be honest. It's kind of a personal unspoken rule for myself. I only buy games that I know I will enjoy and then I like to keep all of them as a personal collection. It's a bit weird actually seeing as some games that I own still have a high trade-in value, but I still don't sell them. It's actually the same deal with my consoles.

Catalyst.
November 23rd, 2012, 07:49 AM
I don't really like selling my old games - I have so many DS games it's almost a collection, so it'd be a shame to sell any imo. For other systems I might trade in stuff I never play or only play occaisionally, but usully I just keep everything. :3

Yellow Silver Nostalgia
November 23rd, 2012, 08:06 AM
I'm very brutal with my clearouts, so no, they're in a scrap heap along with my Gameboy Colour and N64.

Pryze
November 23rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
No, I would never sell any of my old games, even if I don't enjoy them. I still have my old 64, Dreamcast, NES, and SNES games.

Moogles
November 26th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I never sell games. People talk about trading their games in and I always get bewildered because it's never an option I'd think of doing.

Sassy Milkshake
November 26th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Yes I have actually sold quite a few games that I've outgrown. Most of them I didn't enjoy in the first place, and a little cash does help, especially when these games that I hate are just sitting there gathering dust. I do obviously keep the nostalgic games, but I find there are not as many good games as I thought there were.

Spartacus
November 29th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I made a mistake in doing so, and I really regret it. I had to sell all my old Pokemon games to be able to finalize the funds for my PC gaming setup; I ended up selling all my old games for a total of £300 which included quite a few Pokemon games. I really wish I hadn't and had just earned that money after a few months.

xxReshiramxx
November 29th, 2012, 05:12 PM
No I would never sell my old games because there classic treasures to me. No amount of money could give me that.

Brynjolf
November 29th, 2012, 05:51 PM
One time when I was about 10 years old, my stupid, ignorant self sold ALL OF MY OLD GAMEBOY COLOR GAMES. It makes me so sad to think that little me went to gamestop, got about 5$ for around 20 games that I would now cherish. *sigh*
Never sellin' a game again.

Squidchan
November 29th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Insomniac, ouch!

I will only sell games I didn't enjoy and weren't already part of a series of games, like Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, etc.

As for if/when they are worth a lot of money, I think that's even more reason to keep it in my collection.

Unfortunately, when I was younger, the Sega and then the PS1 belonged to the family, as did the games, so I had to share with my brother and sister, and a couple of years ago my brother sold a lot of the older games we ha without consulting anyone... :/

Seki
November 29th, 2012, 06:57 PM
No I won't, never did, never will. All games whether they are fun or not are all sentimental to me.

Pinkie-Dawn
December 2nd, 2012, 10:33 AM
I would sell my old games that aren't so great or if I already got it as virtual consoles.

holdmykidney
December 2nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
One time when I was about 10 years old, my stupid, ignorant self sold ALL OF MY OLD GAMEBOY COLOR GAMES. It makes me so sad to think that little me went to gamestop, got about 5$ for around 20 games that I would now cherish. *sigh*
Never sellin' a game again.

Good point! My ex gave away my GBC with a bunch of games. I really wish I had my old Pokemon Pinball (with Rumble) for gameboy :'(

LividZephyr
December 2nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
The only reason you should ever sell a game is if you're never going to play it again. That's the philosophy I live by. I don't really buy that many games to begin with, though, so I typically never end up selling anything. I sometimes crave playing a game out of the blue xD

DraconianWing
December 2nd, 2012, 06:09 PM
Depends on the game

I sometimes tend to buy video games on impulse and end up getting really tired of it in a matter of hours. Some games get REALLY BORING once you clear the main walkthrough. In this case, I would definitely sell it.

However, if a game is really addicting, I would spend months to years of playing and end up running it to the ground. And since I would get so much good memories of playing that game, I would keep the cartridge (disc, whatever) somewhere safe, even though I know I would never be able to play it again. And I would never sell it. EVER

Morkula
December 2nd, 2012, 09:04 PM
The only games I've ever gotten rid of are games that I really didn't like and know I'd never want to play. Otherwise, I enjoy having a game collection - it's nice to display and I like being able to go back and play games again later on down the line. So to answer your question, no, I'd never sell my old games.

Kura
December 7th, 2012, 01:09 PM
My bro still plays our old games so I wouldnt.. unless they just were games we wouldn't play ever again,really..

Cherrim
December 10th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I like going back to play games or I like just seeing them on my shelf, so I rarely--if ever--sell games. I think the only games I've ever sold are duplicate copies and even then it's always been to friends. :x

TRIFORCE89
December 10th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I would the more junky games I own. Like some Grinch Pac-Man clone I got as a kid XD Or Sonic and the Secret Rings. But, I haven't yet

Otherwise, I keep my old games because I replay them.

I once sold a duplicate copy of Phantom Hourglass to Lightning though because she wouldn't accept it as a gift. lol I had the game already and beat it, and then this came in the Zelda DS Lite bundle. Didn't need the game twice.

Mr Cat Dog
December 12th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I sell old games all the time, to be honest. If I'm not going to play them any more, why bother keeping them around? I get some money for them, and the shop that I sell them to gets to sell them on to someone who will hopefully appreciate the game anew. The circle of gaming life. But I only do it to games that I've either exhausted or given up on, so I know that I'm definitely not going to regret it once I'm done.

Sableye~
December 12th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Totally.
I'd rather have the money than a game that I never play anymore. I've traded in my games before already, though they were all ones that I don't play.

Zozma
December 17th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I don't sell my games. I give them to my brothers if I don't like them. Now that we have a Gamefly account, though, I can usually test drive a game before purchasing it.

Autaven
December 20th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I sold all of my PS, PS2 and N64 games and now I would love to have my collection back so I learned the hard way to only sell a game if I really didn't enjoy it. Plus I'm a complete hoarder so it pains me a little bit to sell them.

Dreg
December 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM
Well, I won't sell my old games anymore. There was a few that I did sell and kinda regretting it now.

Spartacus
December 21st, 2012, 01:39 PM
I think it all comes down to what sort of person you are.

Hardcore gamers, or collectors, would most likely opt out of selling old games. Or even if you just like to have memories or want to have an impressing shelf, but normally it would be the first option. A lot of the time, selling old games will get you a small amount of money, and that doesn't pay up for the joy it gave to you when you picked it up at the store for a mean price. It's nice to play an old game every now then, I pop onto my Color to play a bit of Pokemon Yellow here and there, it's the original Pokemon game and the first I ever played; this game is precious to me. People treasure games, and that isn't a bad thing, games are what makes us happy, entertain us and let us have a good ol' laugh with a bunch of our friends. I know someone who has every Pokemon game, boxed, on his main shelf and you see it whenever you step foot into his room, and I respect him for that.

But then you get the people who don't care about the old, in with the new. Sometimes people could just see it as pointless, they would rather have that bit of extra money to buy some of the new releases. I can't say that I haven't done this, because I have, I was a bit low on buying Guild Wars 2 so I had to look back at some of my older games such as Oblivion GOTY Edition and sell them, I think there are a fair few people around here who have done this. I sell my old games that I hardly ever played, simply because I don't really like them and would much rather have a bit of extra cash saving up for a game I do like.

Ultimately, it will always be your choice. For me, it will always vary. If, as I mentioned, it is a game that I don't like and need cash, I will sell it. But if it is a game I loved and prize, I would just keep it.

DowntownDumpling
December 26th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I've sold a few games. The only one I wish I had again is SpongeBob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom for the Game Boy Advance, which I got as a present when I was ten. I'm not against selling games on principle, but unless I am pretty much totally sure that I will never want to play a game again and that it will be reasonably easy to obtain another copy if I somehow do, I won't sell it. I still own Star Wars: Rogue Leader, which seems to have gotten great reviews but that I've only played a few times despite owning it for almost eight years.

I've never sold a Pokemon game, for that matter, though I've lost a couple of them.