• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Christmas music/Christmas movies/Christmas crap in general

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
It's November, I know, but we're getting very close to Christmas and I want to be early with the Christmas threads, okay! I want to make the obligatory Christmas threads this year! Harley wants the monopoly!

Basic thread, but here we go:

Music
What are your favorite Christmas songs? Do you have a particular favorite or do you love all Christmas songs, because they're about the gift-giving season and they're cheery and just great?
How early is too early to start listening to Christmas songs?
How far into December do you start to get annoyed by the constant blaring of Christmas tunes?

Movies
Name your favorite Christmas movies. You better bloody well have some.
Why are they your favorite?
Feel free to talk about anything related to Christmas and media and what not, y'all can be imaginative.

Years
My family was always big on the Christmas holidays, and a lot of that has been passed down to me. Even as a kid, I always preferred Christmas over any other holiday, and not even because I got gifts, but everyone always genuinely seemed happier around then.

What are your favorite Christmas songs?
I love most Christmas songs in general, but my favorite would have to be Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie.
As much as I love Christmas, I remember walking into a store on November 1st this year and Christmas music was already on, which I thought was way too early. I'd say late November (after the American Thanksgiving) or even early December is a pretty good time to start playing it.
How far into December do you start to get annoyed by the constant blaring of Christmas tunes?
I always thought it was strange that people got annoyed by one month of Christmas music, but then would listen to the same stuff 6 months out of the year. By the time I would start getting sick of it, Christmas is already long over.

Name your favorite Christmas movies.
There are quite a few Christmas movies I like watching, but my top 2 favorite would have to be National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Elf.
I prefer comedy movies in general, and these two movies have a good combination of comedy as well as holiday spirit.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I love a lot of the more classical songs, and mostly renditions of them by older singers as well. My favorites are Nate King Cole's The Christmas Song and Bing Crosby's version of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. (though Judy Garland's version is great too)

Any time before the week of Thanksgiving seems a little too early to me. I've been to grocery stores that play Christmas songs as early as the start of the month this year and I'm just not a fan of that at all. Feels like it takes something special away from them.

In general, nah. I'm usually the person who sets the radio to whatever local station is playing Christmas music 24/7 during the season. (though I do tend to switch away when there are songs I dislike)

A Christmas Story. Mostly thanks to that 24 hour marathon that's been done every year in this country for at least 15 years. I first saw it as a kid in school and never got to finish watching it, soooo I was pretty hyped when I saw it on TV.

It's a cute movie, basically. Nothing too deep about it, but it's a movie that makes you feel nice when you finish watching it and that's enough for me.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Music
What are your favorite Christmas songs? Do you have a particular favorite or do you love all Christmas songs, because they're about the gift-giving season and they're cheery and just great?
I have a very large Christmas. I actually have one iPod mini devoted just to Christmas music. I got a bunch of stuff there. Film scores, TV special music, classics (Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Nat King Cole, etc.), Christmas stuff from the 80s, carols, choirs, instrumentals, Mannheim Steamroller, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, modern hits (Mariah Carey, Kelly Clarkson, etc.), Brian Setzer, Christmas levels from video games, Tetris, etc. Lots. I set it to random and play it through out December and I never reach the end.

I would say any time before December is too early, outside of Christmas parades. Although, the year I started preparing my monstrous playlist I started on Halloween (technically November 1st because it was after midnight)

December 26th. Christmas over, time to give it a rest

Movies
A Christmas Story. Christmas Vacation. I like others too and I'll watch them once a year, but these two I can watch repeatedly throughout the holiday season (and that's particularly true for Christmas Story because it plays on a loop on TV)

I still laugh every time I see Christmas Vacation. Both movies are probably the most accurate depicting of Christmas for a lot of families XD

Feel free to talk about anything related to Christmas and media and what not, y'all can be imaginative.
Anyone remember Small One?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I don't think I have one anymore. I've just become so hardened to the holiday that they all start sounding alike xD

Before Thanksgiving weekend. At least one radio station and several of the local stores have already violated this.

December? Usually it's the middle to end of November that I get annoyed with them.

Only one is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, because apparently I've been informed that James Bond films don't count as Christmas movies even though I marathon them on the 25th.

Cousin Eddie and his pride and joy, Snots. And the man's legendary RV.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Favorite songs?
None, they all seem the same to me.
How early is too early?
If it's not in the 2 weeks before christmas, it's too early.
How early in December do you get annoyed by decorations and trees and stufff...?
Day ... friggin ... 1!
Favorite Movie?
I'd say none. Except for Christmas Carols.
Why?
Bah Humbug!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Music
What are your favorite Christmas songs? Do you have a particular favorite or do you love all Christmas songs, because they're about the gift-giving season and they're cheery and just great? I do love all traditional Christmas songs. Not a fan of the fact that Christmas songs get remade so much though because I love singing along and they alter just enough that you can't be sure where to sing so I usually listen to the originals or only one version of a song. I do love All I Want for Christmas is You and Baby It's Cold Outside a lot though. :)
How early is too early to start listening to Christmas songs? Never too early! I usually wait though because I'm the only person I know into them anyway.
How far into December do you start to get annoyed by the constant blaring of Christmas tunes? I don't. Ever.

Movies
Name your favorite Christmas movies. THE YEAR WITHOUT A SANTA CLAUS IS THE BEST FOREVER...but also the one where they tell you the origin of Santa Claus. I can never remember names other than that one. :(
Why are they your favorite? Because of the characters and the songs! Heat Meise and Snow Meiser have the best songs, and the other one has BURGER MEISTER MEISTER BURGER

A lot of my friends hate everything Christmas. :( I spent up until Christmas Eve with my boyfriend last year and he doesn't do music or movies or anything and it didn't even feel like Christmas. I'm starting today with the music and he'll have to deal this year, I'm not having it not feel like Christmas this year.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Music
What are your favorite Christmas songs? "O Come All Ye Faithful" and "Heavy Metal Christmas", my favorite Christmas album in general is "A Twisted Christmas" - its 10 songs done Heavy Metal Style!!
220px-TwistedChristmas.png

Do you have a particular favorite or do you love all Christmas songs, because they're about the gift-giving season and they're cheery and just great? - they are only my favorite if they 'Rock' not the classical boring stuff

For that specific album "A Twisted Christmas" its never too early to rock with Twisted Sister! 4 songs are part of my playlist

How far into December do you start to get annoyed by the constant blaring of Christmas tunes? - every time I go shopping (not for groceries), the classic songs are on, I personally get annoyed since day 1.

Movies
Name your favorite Christmas movies. "Black Xmas" is the only Christmas related movie I seen, its supposed to be a horror movie, but not for me, it was a bad movie. Just some guy with a knife stalking people isn't horror, its just mystery/crime movies, at least too me.

Why are they your favorite? - I don't have a favorite Christmas movie, "Black Xmas" was the only Christmas related movie I seen, it was a bad movie.

220px-Black_christmas_ver3.jpg

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Only one is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, because apparently I've been informed that James Bond films don't count as Christmas movies even though I marathon them on the 25th.
They're great December 26th movies though. Movie network here starts running a bunch of them every year between the 26th and New Year's. So, they're a holiday-time memory for me too

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Reviving my own thread! Because I can! Hahah! Can't stop the Hazzard boys, Boss Hog!

Music

As you can deduce from my theme alone, my favorite Christmas song BYYYYY FAAAARRRR is All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey. A perfect Christmas song, unbeatable, etc. I love Mariah and every diva bone in her body.
Other favorites include Mary's Boy Child by Boney M (SO MUCH FUN TO SING ALONG TO), Happy Xmas (War Is Over) by John & Yoko, All I Want For Christmas Is You by My Chemical Romance (for the sheer comedic value), Do They Know It's Christmas by Band Aid and.... Snoopy's Christmas. Perfect songs for the festive season!

It is never too early to listen to Christmas songs. Ever.

Never.

Movies

The Santa Clause, It's a Wonderful Life, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas and many more! To be honest I care more about the music than the movies lol

THEY'RE GREAT AND FANTASTIC AND BEAUTIFUL MOVIES BYE

nah

AwesomeAsCrawdaunt

Shizariger on EGC
Years
Carol of the Bells has always been a favourite of mine for some reason. Also, the Slade one.

Before the last weekend of November

By about the 26th.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

It's something I've always held dear to me.

The first Christmas song I heard this year was When a Child is Born, today. You could do far worse in my opinion.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
My favorite Christmas songs are as followed:

And anything by Mariah obviously. Plus all of the classics. I lovelovelovelove Christmas music. But the two above are my absolute favorites. I never get annoyed by Xmas music because there are so many covers of the same songs so it always changes up with the versions.

And my favorite Christmas movie of all time is A Christmas Story. I usually watch it about eight times during its annual marathon on TNT. I just love how cute the story is and Ralphie is one of the best movie characters ever! On Christmas my family used to listen to Elvis's Xmas album but I can't stand it anymore. Probably the only music I don't like. :P

Reactions: Her
Years
  • Seen Jun 4, 2013
Grandma got ran over by a reindeer

dec 24th lol... if I can avoid them on the radio that is

dec 1st

christmas vaction

its chevy chase.... how could it not be your fav?

Years
Music

My favourite Christmas song are
All I Want For Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey
The Pogues - Fairytale of New York

All I want for Christmas is youu~

Um you can listen to them in Summer if you want, I don't mind at all lol

I haven't gotten annoyed with Christmas songs since I was 14 when I detested Christmas songs and loved my black metal music xD but I like to hear them now, makes me happy 8)

Movies

Elf. Home alone 1 & 3. I haven't watched any of them in a while though lol.

Why are they your favorite

They're awesome I've always liked them.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
The best Christmas song is Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" and nothing that anyone will say will convince me otherwise. Other songs have a certain charm to them, but none have the sheer force of both positivity and musicality that AIWFCIY has. There has been many a year where I've listened to it on repeat and not gotten bored at all. I really can't say the same for any other Christmas song, to be honest.

In terms of Christmas movies, the out-and-out winner is The Muppet Christmas Carol. The best Muppet film AND the best Christmas film AND best adaptation of Dickens' novel to boot. A trifecta of gloriousness. Honourable mentions include Elf for having the best (and non-cloying) Will Ferrell performance, and The Nightmare Before Christmas for not really being a Christmas film but still being oh-so fun to watch at this time of year.

Back