PDA

View Full Version : Best RPG of All Time?

strifegirl
November 30th, 2012, 06:56 PM
As the title says, what is your most favourite RPG you have ever played?

My #1 would probably have to be Dragon Quest IX. The heart-warming storyline, the fun characters, the combat - everything. Especially how once you have completed the main story, it just goes on!
Although my list of RPGs could go on forever.

So, what about you?

Squidchan
November 30th, 2012, 07:03 PM
The Diablo series. I've been playing it for a long time, and with Diablo III, I can play with my family, it's a way to connect with my Dad and sister, so yea, that would have to be it.

Spartacus
November 30th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Skyrim and Guild Wars 2.
Skyrim is so customizable and 'down-to-the-player', the graphics are just amazing, general gameplay is very interesting and unique. The way in which you can explore the whole map is great, especially since is so big and Bethesda have detailed every single bit. The variety in the game is crazy, I think it would take over 1000 hours game time and you couldn't complete the game; there are thousands of quests and loaaadddsss of places to explore around the map.
Guild Wars 2 also, the customization, exploration, graphics, storyline, originality, variety all those sort of things make a great RPG game that I would be certain to buy.

curiousnathan
December 1st, 2012, 01:23 AM
Definitely Skyrim. They only problem i found with it was some of the dungeons were a tad repetitive in regards to graphics and appearance. Other than that, it's amazing. Both graphics-wise and gameplay-wise.

DVK
December 1st, 2012, 03:30 AM
My list would go...

Final Fantasy VI.
Huge cast of characters, a very memorable villain, awesome sound track, awesome gameplay.

Chrono Trigger.
Could possibly be the greatest Rpg ever in a lot of respects, overall the game is just absolutely stunning.

Earthbound.
One of the most original and quirky Rpg's ever and again is stunning in almost every aspect.

Mass Effect.
Self explanatory.

Skyrim.
Also Self explanatory.

As greatest of all time, I would choose something from that list, Probably Chrono Trigger.

Zozma
December 1st, 2012, 01:25 PM
Still Suikoden 2 for me.
(Although Persona 2 is close behind!)

Spinosaurus
December 1st, 2012, 01:38 PM
Shin Megami Tenesi 3: Nocturne. You're a survivor turned demon in a post-apocalypse world, and everyone hates you, even God. You're fighting demons after demons trying to change the world in what you see fit, be it changing it back to what it was, leaving as it is or three other Reasons. Never before have I seen a game with such great atmosphere and settings. It might sound emo and depressing, but it really isn't. It's tense as hell, with great writing and dialogues. (Quite funny at times.) The RPG mechanics is genius as well, where you are reliant on fusing the demons you recruited in order to get a better demon to progress further. The turn-based system plays more like a puzzle, especially boss fights, unlike most RPGs where as long as you have good stats you're good, but not in Nocturne. Your level doesn't matter much, it's what demons you have and what moveset you have. If you can figure out a strategy that is winnable, then congratulations. If not, you're as dead as the human souls wandering the world.

The Pokemon series should STEAL this game's formula, because next to Nocturne it's like a new toy car next to a say...a shiny new labhorgini. Holy crap it's impossible to go back to it.

EDIT: Also, best soundtrack. Meguro is a genius. Though I have to say the characters are bland (hate Chaiki. With a passion), especially after playing Persona 3 and 4.

Skyrim and Guild Wars 2.
Skyrim is so customizable and 'down-to-the-player', the graphics are just amazing, general gameplay is very interesting and unique. The way in which you can explore the whole map is great, especially since is so big and Bethesda have detailed every single bit. The variety in the game is crazy, I think it would take over 1000 hours game time and you couldn't complete the game; there are thousands of quests and loaaadddsss of places to explore around the map.
Guild Wars 2 also, the customization, exploration, graphics, storyline, originality, variety all those sort of things make a great RPG game that I would be certain to buy.

Definitely Skyrim. They only problem i found with it was some of the dungeons were a tad repetitive in regards to graphics and appearance. Other than that, it's amazing. Both graphics-wise and gameplay-wise.
I respect your opinions and despite personally thinking Skyrim is awful in many ways to me, I do have to say that the gameplay is absolute ****. The combat is horrendous, boring, a mess and not polished. I'll give you atmosphere, setting and the exploration factor, but to say it has a good gameplay is completely false.

Still Suikoden 2 for me.
(Although Persona 2 is close behind!)
I haven't played it but why Persona 2 over 3 or 4? I know many SMT fans consider 2 to have a much superior cast and story, but isn't the gameplay awful? 3 is arguable (Portable is basically 4's mechanics though, thinking of getting it because I love the cast better but can't play through FES), but 4 has completely staisfying and fun mechanics.

strifegirl
December 1st, 2012, 05:41 PM
I respect your opinions and despite personally thinking Skyrim is awful in many ways to me, I do have to say that the gameplay is absolute ****. The combat is horrendous, boring, a mess and not polished. I'll give you atmosphere, setting and the exploration factor, but to say it has a good gameplay is completely false.

Hmm, I have to agree with you there. I've played Oblivion and Skyrim. I can't say I've enjoyed the gameplay much, either. If Bethesda had fixed that up, Skyrim would be considered to me a pretty compelling and enjoyable game.

The Diablo series. I've been playing it for a long time, and with Diablo III, I can play with my family, it's a way to connect with my Dad and sister, so yea, that would have to be it.

That's awesome! I love Diablo and still play the second one with my brother. We didn't buy the third since you can only play online and we have a bad connection.

Pointblank
December 1st, 2012, 08:02 PM
Morrowind, as far as for it's time. When that game came out, it was just amazing. It may be outdated now, but it takes the cake for me just because how it exceeded the standards back then.

Spartacus
December 1st, 2012, 11:17 PM

I guess we have different opinions then, and I respect yours, too. Why I like the combat is because there is many ways in which you can attack people and how you can attack then, they've done it so you can think strategically; do you plan to go all-in with a blade? Or do you go for a certain spell that does a certain effect that will help you get an advantage on the enemy or be able to get past it without it attacking you if you don't think you can beat it? Again, these aren't the only ways, there are so many spells and ways in which you attack.

Cid
December 1st, 2012, 11:41 PM
Mother 3! And pretty much the whole Mother series (even though I haven't finished Earthbound yet). I'll be shamelessly copy-pasting my post from the top 10 games of all time thread because I think I'll only be saying the same things anyway.

Mother 3 (GBA) - Truly a strange, funny and heartrending RPG. No words can describe how much I adore this game. The characters, the plot and their development; the universe, the genre, the charm, the gameplay, the lasting appeal, and the ending— I could go on for years and even after all that time, this will still probably be high up on my best video games lists, if not still the best. I just love it so much. <3 You have to go play it to know what I mean.
This might have been a bit exaggerated but the gist is all there.

Mr. Magius
December 2nd, 2012, 08:43 AM
Well first of all, what makes a good RPG? For me, it's if you can really feel sympathy for the character(s); feel their emotion, their happiness, their sadness, and feel like you're really in the setting of the game. Some developers forget the meaning of "RPG," and you feel like you're not actually playing the characters' role!

- Mother 3 - it's a fantastic game. All of the characters are genuine, the drama is there, a great story, blahblahblah. I haven't played any of the other EarthBound games though :-(

- Skyrim - Although it's generic to say it's one of the top RPGs out there, it really is. The graphics are beautiful and very realistic, you can view the world in 1st or 3rd person and that also gives it a realistic edge, all of the vast selections of items and equipment, the different traits of certain characters and their dialogue, the intense combat, and the huge world with climates, flora, fauna, everything. Not only that, but you can MOD the game with your own stuff... it's awesome :D
And to whomever is saying that Skyrim has crap gameplay and saying that it doesn't is wrong... That's your opinion. Doesn't mean it's right nor wrong.

- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and A2 - I dunno, I'm really into the FFTactics series. You name your character and form a clan throughout a large setting. You guide your clan to take over the world. Sounds pretty generic, but there's something about the Tactics series that gets me engaged into my clan members' roles.

- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - these two are a hell of a pair. I know their completely different, but I love the same things in both of them. They have the drama and humour that I love so much, and some quirky features. I love the graphics, too.

- Monster Hunter Tri - for me, this is another Skyrim. The game is entirely based on grinding for resources and carving monsters, but it hardly loses any of the fun. You build your character from the ground up, just like in Skyrim, and thus makes you feel more engaged.

I'm missing a bunch, but I think that's enough for now. xD;

Magic
December 2nd, 2012, 09:12 AM
Depends what you're including in RPG.

GW1/2 stand out as the best online RPGs I've played, due to the customisation and the personal levels that they offer - despite having to keep thousands of people happy on the same server.

I think Dragon's Dogma deserves a lot of credit for what it is as well - it's overshadowed by Skyrim but I, personally, found it a lot easier to get on board with and less of a boring struggle.

Whilst I appreciate Skyrim is such a large open expanse (and is often beautiful), I don't think that contributes to gameplay - it's kind of detrimental, actually.

Spinosaurus
December 2nd, 2012, 09:59 AM
I guess we have different opinions then, and I respect yours, too. Why I like the combat is because there is many ways in which you can attack people and how you can attack then, they've done it so you can think strategically; do you plan to go all-in with a blade? Or do you go for a certain spell that does a certain effect that will help you get an advantage on the enemy or be able to get past it without it attacking you if you don't think you can beat it? Again, these aren't the only ways, there are so many spells and ways in which you attack.
It seems to me you're referring to the variety the combat gives you, but I'm talking about the principle of it. Having so many options can only let you go so far, and it doesn't change one thing.

And honestly variety doesn't excuse it either, given the fact we're debating about RPGs.
And to whomever is saying that Skyrim has crap gameplay and saying that it doesn't is wrong... That's your opinion. Doesn't mean it's right nor wrong.Can we have a debate without taking out the "opinions" card? If you like say, Sonic 2006, then it's your opinion, but if you say it's a good game then that's objectively wrong given the many flaws it has. Skyrim's combat is no different. If you think it's fun for whatever reason, then kudos for you, but why deny how shallow it is? It's boring, simple, brainless and lacks depth, and that alone can take away every single enjoyment for a lot of people. And with such bad combat, I don't think it's fair to nominate it for the best RPG as well just because it's fun to explore, and that's basically all that Skyrim has going for it. If it was Morrowind, then go ahead.

I think it's worth noting that the combat is the main big criticism Skyrim gets from MANY people.

Atomic Pirate
December 2nd, 2012, 10:52 AM
Final Fantasy VI - Easily the best FF game ever made. The protagonists were all likeable, the combat system represents the pinnacle of classic RPG, and Kefka was a great villain. It's unfortunate, though, that it was the last truly great FF game - before the series descended into telling cliche stories about emo teens saving the world.

EarthBound - Whereas most RPGs focus on warriors and mages fighting evil emperors in a fantasy world, EarthBound focuses on psychic kids fighting off an alien invasion. Add in a strange but charming story, good characters, and a quirky environment, and you have one of the best RPGs of the 16-bit era.

Chrono Trigger - This game may be the best RPG on the SNES. With an interesting cast of characters, some great 16-bit sprite work, a gripping story, and the ability to travel through time, this game is simply great.

Mario and Luigi - Bowser's Inside Story - Yes, I know there were two games in the series prior to this one. Yes, I have played them. But, I think that this game is the best in the series. I just didn't really enjoy the bland Beanbean Kingdom of Superstar Saga, and I wasn't a big fan of the Baby Mario and Baby Luigi mechanic of Partners in Time. However, I thought that the main gimmick of Bowser's Inside Story was enjoyable. The game had it's signature combat system, which is a load of fun. And this time, you could control Bowser, which was insane fun.

Fallout 3 - Wow, I'll get a lot of hate for this one. Let me just say that I do, in fact, prefer this game over Skyrim. Maybe it's because I'm more of a sci-fi fan than a fantasy fan, but honestly, I think the gameplay is better. I found the VATS system to be a great mechanic, as well as a great way to blend the genres of FPS and RPG. I really did also enjoy the gigantic world, as well as the post-apocalyptic setting. I found the main story to be interesting, and the concept is just brilliant, in my opinion. Really, though, this game's main flaw is the abundance of glitches. That can get annoying. However, putting that aside, the game is full of mystery and intrigue, as well as some great exploration.

Minato Arisato
December 3rd, 2012, 08:31 AM
I know I'm being biased, but...I think my name and avatar speaks for itself.

xxReshiramxx
December 3rd, 2012, 09:10 AM
The best RPG's of all time for me would have to be Super Paper Mario and Lufia 3 The Legend Returns. Both for there stories and there unique game play.

Cassino
December 6th, 2012, 03:42 AM
If it was Morrowind, then go ahead.
But Morrowind has a percentage for spells to fail which is nothing short of a waste of time and magicka; and blocking blows in melee, even landing them, is based entirely on chance too. At least that seems to be the case; I've not actually played it myself. I do just dislike combat based on numbers, admittedly, but it certainly doesn't go well with the first-/third-person gameplay wherein one otherwise controls the character's actions precisely.

PiemanFiddy
December 6th, 2012, 06:07 AM
The Paper Mario series is my favorite RPG by far.

It may be really linear, and have almost no customization (apart from the BP), but that's what I grew up playing in the RPG genre, and I still love it to this day. :)

Mr. Magius
December 6th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Can we have a debate without taking out the "opinions" card? If you like say, Sonic 2006, then it's your opinion, but if you say it's a good game then that's objectively wrong given the many flaws it has. Skyrim's combat is no different. If you think it's fun for whatever reason, then kudos for you, but why deny how shallow it is? It's boring, simple, brainless and lacks depth, and that alone can take away every single enjoyment for a lot of people. And with such bad combat, I don't think it's fair to nominate it for the best RPG as well just because it's fun to explore, and that's basically all that Skyrim has going for it. If it was Morrowind, then go ahead.

I think it's worth noting that the combat is the main big criticism Skyrim gets from MANY people.I'm not playing any "opinion cards," I'm telling you that the fact that you think the game is shallow is your opinion. And me thinking that it's a good game is also my opinion.
I completely disagree with your opinion of it being boring, simple, brainless, and lacking depth. Why? Because that's my view on the game. And I understand that you dislike it, but don't try to make it look like I'm "denying" that it's factually a bad game because you hate it so much. There's two sides to it, which makes it an opinionated reality. There's nothing set in stone that says "This is a terrible game!", so just leave it at that.
I'm not gonna point out that someone's choice of the best RPG is really a bad game, their opinion is wrong, and their just denying that it's such a bad game because of their love for it blahblahblah...
Sorry for arguing, but that just got to me a bit.

Anyway, some notable mentions to my list would the God of War and the Gears of War series. I'm not sure if anyone else loved these games as much as I did, but I felt like I was there in the setting.
I'm a fantasy/sci-fi kind of guy, so these hit my sweet-tooth. They've taken current knowledge of history and the future and stretched them and stretched your imagination.

Mononoke Hime
December 7th, 2012, 04:38 AM
As the title says, what is your most favourite RPG you have ever played?

For sure Seiken Densetsu 3. I love it.
The bad thing is that's so underrated for it's quality of gameplay and plot...

Spinosaurus
December 7th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I'm not playing any "opinion cards," I'm telling you that the fact that you think the game is shallow is your opinion. And me thinking that it's a good game is also my opinion.
I completely disagree with your opinion of it being boring, simple, brainless, and lacking depth. Why? Because that's my view on the game. And I understand that you dislike it, but don't try to make it look like I'm "denying" that it's factually a bad game because you hate it so much. There's two sides to it, which makes it an opinionated reality. There's nothing set in stone that says "This is a terrible game!", so just leave it at that.
I'm not gonna point out that someone's choice of the best RPG is really a bad game, their opinion is wrong, and their just denying that it's such a bad game because of their love for it blahblahblah...
Sorry for arguing, but that just got to me a bit.
No worries, I enjoy having a discussion about the quality of a video game software. It brings out the gamer in me, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, regarding your post. Never, ever have I said in my post that Skyrim is "boring, simple, brainless and lacking depth", because that was all towards specifically the combat of the game. I've other problems with the game itself, but most of them are personal problems - stuff ~I~ just don't like. However, the combat IS bad, poorly thought out and bland. Whether the game itself is bad or not, is arguable, but I've no say in that especially since I have not put that many times into it myself, but it shouldn't take me 100 hours to understand that the combat is very, very poor. And thus, I feel it shouldn't be eligible to be considered the best RPG game if there is as big of a flaw as that. (No matter how good the game is.)

Anyway, some notable mentions to my list would the God of War and the Gears of War series. I'm not sure if anyone else loved these games as much as I did, but I felt like I was there in the setting.
I'm a fantasy/sci-fi kind of guy, so these hit my sweet-tooth. They've taken current knowledge of history and the future and stretched them and stretched your imagination.
Former is an Action game and latter is a Third-Person Shooter. Neither series are RPGs in any way.

Spartacus
December 7th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Anyway, regarding your post. Never, ever have I said in my post that Skyrim is "boring, simple, brainless and lacking depth", because that was all towards specifically the combat of the game. I've other problems with the game itself, but most of them are personal problems - stuff ~I~ just don't like. However, the combat IS bad, poorly thought out and bland. Whether the game itself is bad or not, is arguable, but I've no say in that especially since I have not put that many times into it myself, but it shouldn't take me 100 hours to understand that the combat is very, very poor. And thus, I feel it shouldn't be eligible to be considered the best RPG game if there is as big of a flaw as that. (No matter how good the game is.)

What don't you enjoy about the combat? What aspect of it makes it that poor?
Considering all the detail and everything else they do in the game, I think there is a bit of leeway for the combat not to be the greatest. The time they spend on the game now is amazing, and they have to split it up to be able to finish the development ready for release. If they spent more time on the combat, people would start to lose interest in The Elder Scrolls series, as that would probably add another year to it's release date. I'm sure with the newer technology being used, they will update combat. The only thing I really mind about the combat is the time it takes to kill someone as opposed to real-life, but then the game would be boring, wouldn't it? Just one hit to kill somebody.

Spinosaurus
December 7th, 2012, 02:01 PM
What don't you enjoy about the combat? What aspect of it makes it that poor?
Considering all the detail and everything else they do in the game, I think there is a bit of leeway for the combat not to be the greatest. The time they spend on the game now is amazing, and they have to split it up to be able to finish the development ready for release. If they spent more time on the combat, people would start to lose interest in The Elder Scrolls series, as that would probably add another year to it's release date. I'm sure with the newer technology being used, they will update combat. The only thing I really mind about the combat is the time it takes to kill someone as opposed to real-life, but then the game would be boring, wouldn't it? Just one hit to kill somebody.
The game IS rushed. Have you seen all the bugs/glitches, framerate drops and occasional hiccups? The PS3 version in particular is UNPLAYABLE. (20 to 0 fps? Get out of here.) The game is a technical mess, and it only indicates the game has got out of the oven far too early. The combat is already barebones, with nothing special about it generally speaking, so I think another development year for the game would have made it MUCH MUCH better.

Spartacus
December 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM
The game IS rushed. Have you seen all the bugs/glitches, framerate drops and occasional hiccups? The PS3 version in particular is UNPLAYABLE. (20 to 0 fps? Get out of here.) The game is a technical mess, and it only indicates the game has got out of the oven far too early. The combat is already barebones, with nothing special about it generally speaking, so I think another development year for the game would have made it MUCH MUCH better.
To be fair, Oblivion didn't have as much technical issues. But, every game has some glitches, especially when there is so much variety towards it. I don't think a game will ever be perfect. A game without glitches would not be the same, glitches are often humorous and are quite rare to come across. In Skyrim, I don't genuinely get annoyed at the game when I come across a glitch. They please millions of people already, and I don't think putting an extra year in development will be much help to them, especially when you have the biggest fans highly anticipating it's release. Obviously, the game will progress as time goes on; in combat, animations, graphics etc. so we'll just have to see where the 6th installment of the series brings us.

Mr. Magius
December 8th, 2012, 12:39 PM
The thing about modern gaming is that the developers can simply update the game after they've released it, which they have done.. So it's allowed to be a little raw. Plus, the company saves a load of money releasing it early and updating it later, rather than spending an entirely extra year just to fine-tune it. As Pave Low said, glitches can give the game a nice touch :-)

By the way, isn't the low FPS on the PS3 due to Skyrim being such a massive game?

Razgriz
December 8th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Final Fantasy 8 for me. But I love ALL Final Fantasy(ies?)!!

Praisedscooter
December 9th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Favorite RPG? That's gotta be Bowser's Inside Story. So many twists and turns, and that cartoony humor just hit it home. Plus the final boss fight theme is nothing to laugh at.

Frostweaver
December 10th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Going to swing it back to the asia side of things and put in another vote for Persona series~ Not as mainstream as some other jrpg titles, but it's certainly gaining momentum and popularity. Those who liked other jrpgs should definitely give them a try!

chakalaka25
December 12th, 2012, 06:29 AM
maple story or diablo or wow

Patrick
December 16th, 2012, 02:23 PM
All of the Mothers, and that's almost it. I like each Mother game for different reasons, though. I think Mother 3 looks and sounds the best, but I still like Mother's story more. Mother 2/EarthBound touches me the most with its childlike sense of whimsy.

Paper Mario is a good secondary, despite the fact that I never finished the 2nd game (it's really good, I just never completed it). The first Paper Mario still holds up everywhere except the sound department for me. I used to really love the music to that game. I mean, really love it. But now, it's kind of bland and empty. I dunno what happened to me. :(

I've only played the first Mario and Luigi, but the humor was worth it.

And then there's Pokemon. A series I've all but forgotten at this point, so I'm not really counting it.

I think that's every RPG I've ever played. Oh, and Super Mario RPG, which I didn't care for. But it's pretty plain to see I like the humorous, cartoon inspired ones with a modern setting.

skyluigi2
December 18th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Nope, I refuse. I can't decide my favourite RPG ever... so here's a list of my top three.
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. Yes, I know there are two excellent sequels to this game, Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story. Bowser's Inside Story came close to my fave in the series, but Superstar Saga was one of the first RPGs I played, and is so memorable/nostalgic for me.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. This game is amazing. Sticker Star was good, and Super Paper Mario wasn't terrible, but Thousand Year Door is one of, if not the best RPGs of all time. It's just so magical; the gameplay, the music, the characters... no game may possibly come close again.

Dragon Quest IX. This game is just packed. Packed with stuff to do and things to see. The main story itself takes around 70 hours for a casual gamer like me to finish. And then there's pretty much an infinite amount of post-story content. It just goes on and on and on... and that's an excellent thing.

Nebula
December 18th, 2012, 06:15 PM
How can I decide? There are so many great ones to choose from.You have Skyrim, for its awesome graphics and intriguing storyline (though repetitive at some points with quests/caves); Diablo, for the sheer awesomeness of the game; and many more. Though I do suppose I can find one that I appreciate more.

The Mass Effect series. Great concept, good design, and the trilogy's end (beloved Mass Effect 3) made me sit there at my computer for a good whole hour staring at the computer screen wondering "what could I have done different?"

Because of these reasons, Mass Effect gets my vote every time.

tabor62
December 20th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I loved the Mother Series, especially the second one. Earthbound in America was without a doubt one of the most interesting and quirky RPGs ever made. I really liked how the battles ran in real time, like how your HP decreasing while taking your next move, allowing to save that character by healing them. Same with Mother 1 and 3, I enjoyed playing them so my favorite RPG(s) vote is for the Mother series.

miksy91
December 20th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Final Fantasy IX, with no comparison.

That game is absolutely amazing. It involves some of the best compositions by Nobuo Uematsu, clear character development throughout the game, and I especially like the story.

Sure, there are other very good RPG games out there too but FFIX is my personal favourite. I'd recommend it for anybody who would like to see something different in a game.

For sure Seiken Densetsu 3. I love it.
The bad thing is that's so underrated for it's quality of gameplay and plot...
Agreed, SD3 is way underrated compared to how good it is.

Gideon Jeremiah
December 21st, 2012, 02:51 PM
For myself, it is an endless tie between Final Fantasy IX, Chrono Trigger & Radiant Historia.

Final Fantasy IX: This game is simply glorious. Character development, atmosphere, plotline, & the finale. It all speaks of a glorious ends to the PSX lifecycle (yet it holds up even today).

Chrono Trigger: This games soundtrack alone is enough to sell it. Particularly "Memories of Green"; but the characters, plot & Zeal all make it amazing! (Yes, Zeal is that wondrous of a period in the game).

Radiant Historia: It is difficult to explain why this game is so fantastic, without giving a large # of spoilers. However, it's soundtrack, plotline & gameplay mechanics are perfect. If you make a mistake in your choices, or in your battles; it is solely your fault, not the games.

Final Fantasy IX, with no comparison.

That game is absolutely amazing. It involves some of the best compositions by Nobuo Uematsu, clear character development throughout the game, and I especially like the story.

Sure, there are other very good RPG games out there too but FFIX is my personal favourite. I'd recommend it for anybody who would like to see something different in a game.

I agree with you, in every sense of the word.
The few who appreciate Final Fantasy IX are becoming fewer & fewer over these last few years.
It's wonderful to see that there are some of us here. :D

Team Fail
December 21st, 2012, 03:20 PM
I've played all of Final Fantasy VI, and nothing has been able to compare to it. The amount of character development and the amount of sidequests the game has is immense. Not to mention the amount of characters the game has, and that they manage to develop all of them well enough, that to a point, you get attached to some of them.

Now if only they remastered it.

Nerdy Mojo
December 22nd, 2012, 04:59 PM
mine would be a tie between Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

Morrowind was very much the premier hardcore rpg of its time as far as single player rpgs go.it was way more difficult than subsequent TES games in that spells could fail if your skill in whatever magic school you were using was not high enough,no compass so you had to either follow directions or figure it out yourself,etc. i still remember the gamestore employee gushing about this game and veritably shoving it into my hands back in 05 or sometime close. i still play this game btw even currently.

Oblivion was the transition between morrowind being hardcore and skyrim being really watered down IMO as it still had some complexitly but you could see that Bethesda was beggining the seriously streamline the experience. i still feel that skyrim is a great game but a not really that hardcore rpg niche that morrowind was and that TES used to represent.

Diablo and WoW are games i spent alot of time with so they get an honourable mention....

Spartacus
December 22nd, 2012, 05:06 PM
mine would be a tie between Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

Morrowind was very much the premier hardcore rpg of its time as far as single player rpgs go.it was way more difficult than subsequent TES games in that spells could fail if your skill in whatever magic school you were using was not high enough,no compass so you had to either follow directions or figure it out yourself,etc. i still remember the gamestore employee gushing about this game and veritably shoving it into my hands back in 05 or sometime close. i still play this game btw even currently.

Oblivion was the transition between morrowind being hardcore and skyrim being really watered down IMO as it still had some complexitly but you could see that Bethesda was beggining the seriously streamline the experience. i still feel that skyrim is a great game but a not really that hardcore rpg niche that morrowind was and that TES used to represent.

Diablo and WoW are games i spent alot of time with so they get an honourable mention....
I've always seen Skyrim as a huge step up from Oblivion; although Oblivion was very fun, it was a lot of the same, especially with the start of the main quest which got very boring. I always thought that the towns especially were very similar in some respects having the same kinds of stores but just varied in size and setting. Skyrim is a lot more detailed, and there is just more to do with a huge variety. There are way more skills and the game is more down-to-the-user even though games both were, but Skyrim more heavily. I agree with you about Morrowind compared to Skyrim, but Oblivion...definitely not. I think the Skyrim really shows how much TES has to offer and it has somewhere to go, Oblivion did not offer as much.

Nerdy Mojo
December 23rd, 2012, 03:22 PM
I've always seen Skyrim as a huge step up from Oblivion; although Oblivion was very fun, it was a lot of the same, especially with the start of the main quest which got very boring. I always thought that the towns especially were very similar in some respects having the same kinds of stores but just varied in size and setting. Skyrim is a lot more detailed, and there is just more to do with a huge variety. There are way more skills and the game is more down-to-the-user even though games both were, but Skyrim more heavily. I agree with you about Morrowind compared to Skyrim, but Oblivion...definitely not. I think the Skyrim really shows how much TES has to offer and it has somewhere to go, Oblivion did not offer as much.

yes, i was basically saying i vote for morrowind but i threw in oblivion because i really liked that one more than skyrim so it was just an honorable mention. my intent was to say that morrowind is the best rpg of all time, maybe i should have thrown in the oblivion shoutout...

yes, i was basically saying i vote for morrowind but i threw in oblivion because i really liked that one more than skyrim so it was just an honorable mention. my intent was to say that morrowind is the best rpg of all time, maybe i should have thrown oblivion in there eh?

the adop17
December 29th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Definitley Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. I don't know if anybody has ever heard of this one, and most people who have absolutley hate it, but i really enjoy a game called Two Worlds. Skyrim is pretty addicting too lol.

Livewire
December 29th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Golden Sun, both the original GBA games and Dark dawn for the DS. The absolute best in my opinion. Played the hell out of those games for years.

OrangeNess
December 30th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I'm so sorry, but I can't pick just one. RPG is my favorite genre, and there are sooooooo many. I'll give my top 5 instead:
1. MOTHER 3- Fantastic story, great gameplay, and humorus
2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door- This is my favorite Paper Mario, due to the battle system, humor, and funness
3. EarthBound- Amazing RPG with once again good humor, and such a quirky cast
4. Super Paper Mario- This is on here for nostalgic purposes. This was the first Wii game I ever beat, let alone tried to beat. I find it very fun and full of humor
5. Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten- A great stragety RPG that is just as funny as the other games I have mentioned. It looks flat our ridiculous, but I can assure you, it is not an easy game.
Sobasically, you have an RPG that makes me laugh, I'm sold. :)

Dying Light
December 30th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Brave Fencer Musashi for the PSX. It used the same engine as FF VII (before Square merged with Enix). I also believe it had been heavily underrated.

Frostweaver
December 31st, 2012, 12:17 AM
Golden Sun, both the original GBA games and Dark dawn for the DS. The absolute best in my opinion. Played the hell out of those games for years.

wait Dark Dawn...? I played it and found it to be kinda boring D: Did I miss something significant there or what?

Digimon Kaiser
December 31st, 2012, 06:37 AM
The Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts series have always been my favorites, personally.

Tetrakeet
December 31st, 2012, 07:34 AM
Pre BC World of Warcraft is the longest I've ever played an MMO (I played about 5 years). Offline best RPG would be Oblivion (2 years played).

Pharetra
December 31st, 2012, 11:54 AM
I'd say either Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect or The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. Mass Effect has a great story which is pretty darn important in RPGs imo, Dragon Age Origins has a good story, loads of customization options and the setting is great, and I have yet to come across a game with a better atmosphere and better music that TLOZ OOT.

BeausaHD
January 5th, 2013, 07:51 PM
One of these:
Skyrim- Big world, extensive customization, wide variety of enemies.
Dark Souls- Probably the most challenging game ever, real sense of achievement if completed.
Mass Effect 2: Amazing Characters, Amazing Story, Amazing Game.
Borderlands 2: Ridiculous amount of guns, ok story, big world, very long game.

dcjboi
January 5th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Fallout 3 and NV: Not counting the plotholes in FO3 these are my favorite console RPG games of this generation (That I've played)

Pokemon Mystery Dugeon Sky/Darkness/Time: The gameplay from the first release in the series plus more pokemon more dungeons and a tearjerking plot. Although it's a spinoff, it isn't given the credit it deserved.

Pokemon Coliseum: My favorite 3D pokemon game so far. New region, new type of pokemon, a new plot as in there is no more 8 gyms and then elite four, the best 3D graphics for a pokemon game in its time. Definitely my favorite game of the 3rd generation.

*edit* Paper Mario: The thousand year door: favorite game in the mario series and I had to give it to this game that I've replayed 3 times. All the characters are so likable and the plot is enticing to me as well as the plot

Also the Final Fantasy series: I've heard so much about this series that I've just had to play it. It is obviously longrunning and even though I haven't played FF7, it's influence has a wide margin

Spartacus
January 6th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Pokemon Mystery Dugeon Sky/Darkness/Time: The gameplay from the first release in the series plus more pokemon more dungeons and a tearjerking plot. Although it's a spinoff, it isn't given the credit it deserved.

*edit* Paper Mario: The thousand year door: favorite game in the mario series and I had to give it to this game that I've replayed 3 times. All the characters are so likable and the plot is enticing to me as well as the plot

Also the Final Fantasy series: I've heard so much about this series that I've just had to play it. It is obviously longrunning and even though I haven't played FF7, it's influence has a wide margin
I absolutely adore Mystery Dungeon, great RPG and spin-off; it made me grow closer to Pokemon, because we see a different aspect of it where you are the Pokemon as opposed to the Trainer thus making it an amazing RPG for me, being a Pokemon fan and all.

As for Paper Mario and Final Fantasy, I am definitely gonna give them both a try, I have read a lot of good reviews that class them as some of the greatest RPGs to date, and by the looks of it, they don't seem too shabby.

Dangelitus
January 6th, 2013, 08:29 AM
according to my tastes, the best RPG was .....

Final Fantasy VIII :knockedou.
Reason: This was my first RPG that i have played, and i like the combination between magic and technology that have that game. Besides, I loved driving the Ragnarok, and the design of Guardian Forces and the differents ways to obtain them. And the minigame Triple Triad was so adictive, but i still have the random, plus and wall rules.

In the second place i must say that the Dragon Quest 8 that was a nice surprise for me, because the great amount of additional content, like the battles with monster (like pokemon) and the armors, and i like the change of some armors were reflected in the characters when you complete all the set.

And in third place a tie between Chrono Trigger and the Final fantasy VII, because their fantastic stories, and in the case of chrono the posibility of multiple finals.

Special mention for Final Fantasy X for the blitzball minigame, that was a great minigame, even the second time i played that game, the most part of the game i occupied in playing the blitzball and founding character for my team :cool:

Alice
January 6th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Morrowind for sure... or Tales of Vesperia for JRPGs.

Cirrus
January 6th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Chinese Paladin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Sword_and_Fairy), hands down. (Or "The Legend of Sword and Fairy", I guess, if you know that name instead...) I had the fortune to play the game as a very young child (four years old ... yeah, I started reading early) and it is honestly the game that has affected me the most psychologically - I've replayed it countless times over the years. I honestly hate the TV series, for anyone that has seen it, because it doesn't at all convey the spirit of the game.