PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Character?

Mr. Avocado
December 2nd, 2012, 11:44 PM
Who is your all-time favorite character in any game?

Ghost from Modern Warfare 2 makes it for me. The way he spoke, his lines; all so good. And to top it off, his mask was uber nice.

About to get my copy of Farcry 3 from the store, and I can see that there might be some very interesting characters to encounter, I'm really looking forward to playing the game :3

Denny Hamlin
December 3rd, 2012, 08:27 AM
I have so many favorite characters from every game, I can't seem to just choose one! Oh darn, I guess I'll have to. xD

Miranda Lawson from the Mass Effect trilogy would be my most favorite. She's so tough and innocent, you can't tell at first if she's an enemy or your ally. When I played ME2 for the first time I always had her come with my character during missions, because she was good!

ShadowE
December 3rd, 2012, 08:31 AM
my fave is Mike Harper from Black Ops 2... he is such a badass person... Shame you have to kill him for the so called "best" ending for the game... So i just 'kill' Menendez and keep Harper alive... Harper seems also to be a great value in the last misson's last part, where if you kill him you are on your own...

Mochi
December 3rd, 2012, 08:36 AM
http://www.gamedynamo.com/images/galleries/photo/1140/best-video-game-characters-john-marston-red-dead-redemption.jpg

I freaking LOVE John Marston from Red Dead Redemption. *u*

He's my favorite video game character of all time. Great story, great personality, from a great game, the whole nine yards.

Spinosaurus
December 7th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I have two favorites, with the former edging out on the latter by a bit, but I still want to mention both. Incidentally, while both are from completely different developers and publishers, they both made their first appearance in a Smash game together with Brawl.

http://www.mariowiki.com/images/0/0e/Wario_Pose.jpg
Wario
Don't let his usual butt-scratching attitude in Mario games fool you, Wario is much more than that and it's VERY evident in both his gaming series, Wario Land and Warioware. Although in typical Mario games, he's just a guy with gas coming out of his back, he's a completely charming, hilarious and lovable character in his own franchises. Most iconic heroes are bland compared to this greedy, irresponsible man, who does things his way and only for one thing - money. In the Wario land series, he only saves the day by total accident.

He's a completely fresh breath of air from your typical hero. Mario, Link, Kirby, Sonic? Boring. Wario is the real deal. I've yet to see a character so greedy and selfish with pride and ego to boot, yet so charming, clumsy, hilarious and in a sense, relateable. He just wants things for himself, who can blame him? He's not harming anybody!

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090619232761/metalgear/images/thumb/c/c8/Mgs-solid-snake.jpg/230px-Mgs-solid-snake.jpg
Solid Snake

The epitome of BADASS. This dude is the personification of a high IQ killing machine. He's calculative, careful, intelligent with a strongly developed sense of justice to do what is right even if it means sacrifices, and he still thinks murdering is wrong regardless. Honestly it's all pretty self-explanatory.

Praisedscooter
December 9th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Luigi, best. character. ever!

outside of that, I really like Garet from the Golden Sun. Loyal to the end, though his mouth does tend to write checks his butt can't cash.

Penta Penguin
December 11th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Well, what can I say? Bubblun has been my all time favorite character since I was 2-3. But, Penta Penguin from Crash Bandicoot (because I loved playing as him in CTR) comes in a very close second. If I had to choose a third, it's probably Mario (I can do his voice quite well :D )

wilso
December 12th, 2012, 04:27 AM
number 1 would be boshi because hes just a yoshi that looks beast >.<
2 would be dk (love him in mario superstar baseball ^.^)
and 3 maybe pokemon specifically honchkrow

chakalaka25
December 12th, 2012, 06:26 AM
red, mario, zelda, and rayman! :)

Zozma
December 17th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Okaaay so my post was deleted. I'll just repost it:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/KibaGetsNoGlory/FE/Legault_79.jpg

This guy! 'Nuff said!

Honeyman
December 18th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Hard to say myself, but I think I agree with Spinosaurus in saying the fat, greedy treasure hunter is my favourite as well. Though if I have to come up with my own, I would say Clive from Little Big Planet 2.

I'm going to say this right off the bat, the characters in the original LBP was god-awful. Had no personality, most (if not all) had hardly any plot relevance, and they were easily forgettable. I think this was though to the fact the game had next to no story. I think by the time they were making the last world, they forgot to make an antagonist and main conflict. So they just came up with one, tried to make buildup, and failed amazingly.

LBP2 on the other hand had great characters rich with personality, and a somewhat good story to go along with it (not to mention better ending). Clive is one of these characters. He is a walking talking calender that used to run a calender factory. When the main antagonist comes around and destroys the factory, he goes in a major depression about his loss. He is the depressed character throughout the adventure, and this personality trait can give him plenty of funny lines. Also, there is some sort of shipping going around between him and another character named Eve. I don't get it, but shippers can ship.

skyluigi2
December 18th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I think if you look at my avatar, it'll answer all questions.
If you're still in doubt, my favourite video game character is
http://hexxeh.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/luigi1.png
LUIGI!

enohp
December 19th, 2012, 08:53 AM
In terms of looks, I really liked how Cloud Strife looked in the first kingdom hearts. Picking a favorite character in general is a little more tricky. I'd say...I guess Cloud wins again, since I can't think of anyone else.

PeanutButterGamer
December 19th, 2012, 10:02 AM
arg i can't get enough or ALL THE CHARACTERS IN MAJORAS MASK!!!!!

Mr. Avocado
December 20th, 2012, 09:38 AM
http://www.game-art-hq.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Vaas-Montenegro-Far-Cry-3.jpg
Vaas Montenegro. What a beauty.

The cold-hearted Vaas has got to be one of my all time favorites. His style, his speech, it's all amazing; plus he says one of my favorite quotes: Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity? FarCry 3 without him would be a lot less than it is now, he makes the game what it is. His accent is incredibly amazing and just tops off his character. He is massively brave, a real man, and insane. Vaas is a very strong character that gives the game a meaning, he is very intimidating and loves to see others suffer. He will do anything to make sure he is known to everyone who is on the island, he makes sure no one will even try to mess with him. Even though he is the antagonist, I love him more than anyone in the game.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
December 20th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I know who many of you are expecting me to say regarding this question. Therefore, I'm going to go ahead and say it.

Waluigi.

This dude wears purple, has a thin pointy mustache (the only style of mustache I find attractive) and when he speaks? Absolutely hilarious. Waluigi is pure comedy gold xD Plus he's a crafty character who likes to stir up a bit of trouble now and then...

Olli
December 31st, 2012, 08:46 PM
Oh wow, that's hard to say. I've seen so many lovable characters in the games I've played, it's hard to choose between them. One thing most of them have in common though, seems to be that most of them are kind of comic relief characters, two of the ones on top being Wheatley from Portal 2 and Claptrap from the Borderlands series. While it's hard to say with Claptrap, Wheatley is obviously not aware of how hilarious he turns out to be, and it appears as though most of what he does and says that brings the most amusement, is when he's trying his hardest to be "helpful" :p He's so insanely stupid, and it really adds to making him one of my overall favourite characters. Claptrap is in the same boat with being mainly because he's hilarious, however with Claptrap there appears to be a lot of sarcasm involved, which would indicate that he's being funny in purpose, which doesn't really changem uch actually, since his character is still one of the most hilarious I've yet to see in video gaming. He does seem to be rather stupid as well though lol.

My favourite would probably be Midna from LoZ: Twilight Princess though. Her personality really added a lot to the game, and just her presence was enough to make the game feel completely different. I felt like having a companioin actually meant something, because unlike with Navi's "HEY!!! LISTEN!!!" I was actually interested whenever she brought something up. May have been her various hints of sarcasm and teasing of Link, but her character really added to the game, and I felt like it meant much. TP would definitely not have been the same without her, which can't be said for many other LoZ companions :p

Pinta77
December 31st, 2012, 09:39 PM
This is such a good question. Similar to Spinosaurus, I have more then one answer.
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh304/unicorn1991/Pianta.jpg
Pianta
Ever since I found out you could bounce on and squirt the Piantas in "Super Mario Sunshine" to irritate them to no end, I fell in love with Piantas =)

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff216/Origin_Of_The_Past/Nerd%20And%20Geek/Travis_Touchdown.png
Travis Touchdown
Dang, this guy is insane. In the game "No More Heroes", Travis goes on killing sprees in order to rank up (Not sure why). The fact that this character can kill people for kicks and giggles and then proceed to live a normal life leaves me in awe... and earns him a spot as one of my favorite characters.

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr285/devilguyjace/Pokemon/140px-Colosseum_Wes_3D.png
and finally...
Wes
The coolest Pokemon trainer EVER! Wes is the protagonist in one of the most exciting pokemon games ever! Right off the bat, "Pokemon Colosseum" starts off with an explosion, followed by a quick get away, followed by another explosion!

White_Arcanine
December 31st, 2012, 10:22 PM
Hands down, Okami's Issun. Love the little guy.

Aisu
January 1st, 2013, 08:05 PM
http://images.wikia.com/halo/images/archive/5/5d/20080309145347!Master_Chief.jpg
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121013184225/scratchpad/images/b/bd/SilverTheHedgehog.png

Nothing else needs to be expressed.

Mr. Avocado
January 6th, 2013, 05:46 AM
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121013184225/scratchpad/images/b/bd/SilverTheHedgehog.png

Nothing else needs to be expressed.
Ha, yes, Silver doesn't express much anyway in himself. I love Silver, but not enough to call him one of my favorite characters. He's silent but violent and that's what I like about him. He's a bit of a lone wolf type-of-guy, tint of attitude, gets things done himself. His face shows all you need to know about him really...

Silver <3

Young Trainer Ben
January 6th, 2013, 05:56 AM
I have to say, I have so many favourite characters in video games, but my favourites are probably... But since there is so many from the call of duty franchise, I'll list my fave. - Woods, Mason, Reznov, Hudson, Mactavish, and Price. But my all out favourite from all games I've played is obviously, none other than, the beast himself. Commander 'Mother****ing' Shepard.

Squirrel
January 7th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Mine's a toss-up between Justin from Grandia, and Midna from LoZ: Twilight Princess. Justin is one of those characters that you can really see develop throughout the game and playing as him makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside once he gets serious about things (I would go into a whole rant about how amazing the story is but I won't spoil it in case people are planning to play!), so he's definitely high up on the list. Midna on the other hand is more of a side character (though through the lack of Link's ability to communicate it often feels like she's more the main character) but she makes the game what it is - usually in LoZ the 'help' characters that follow you around are just irritating and it's obvious that they're only there for the sake of it (Navi!), but the way Midna taunts Link whilst giving help and also lends herself so perfectly to the story, she's just a truly unforgettable character.

Aeon
January 9th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Changes frequently. But right now it's GLaDOS. Crazy, hilarious, and overall just a very interesting character.

Ryusuta
January 10th, 2013, 02:56 AM
My favorite would be Micah from Rune Factory 3 or the main character from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Rune Factory 3 is a FANTASTIC DS game I would recommend to anyone. It's like combining the best aspects of Harvest Moon, Zelda, and Final Fantasy. And Micah... well... let's just say there's more to him than meets the eye at first glance. =)

Mr. Avocado
January 10th, 2013, 10:29 AM
As if we haven't had enough characters from the Mario series:

YOSHI!

The cute little green dinosaur makes the library of my favorite characters. Through every game, let alone Mario game, this guy has always been the one I pick for playing through the game; Mariokart and all! I've always been a big fan of Yoshi, and will never be compared to Barney, because Yoshi is just so much better on maaannnyyy levels. He is exciting, friendly and very unique. From being in an egg to his favored Cucumber Kart, Yoshi will always be in my heart. <3

Hoenn
January 10th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Spyro The Dragon, I loved these games and he's such a cool little dragon!

Brizz
January 10th, 2013, 05:58 PM
John Marston from Red Dead Redemption by far. If you have played the game and you did not become emotionally attached to him, you have no soul.

jgalvan100
January 10th, 2013, 10:12 PM
The hero from Dragon Quest 5. You play through his entire life, how can you not like him?

Mr. Avocado
January 10th, 2013, 11:50 PM
John Marston from Red Dead Redemption by far. If you have played the game and you did not become emotionally attached to him, you have no soul.
This.

I remember the days when I was sitting on my Xbox and playing this game, loving it, and loving John Marston. He is so mentally strong, takes on any challenge, quite a risky guy. Very cunning. You see his soft side every now and then which really makes him grow on you, and I loved controlling him every second that I played the game. We love you Marston, we do.

Digimon Kaiser
January 12th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Terra from Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep.

He has an epic theme tune, and he's awesome like that, too.

LilJz
January 12th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Toad

That cute little bugger got a nice mushroom hat :P
There's just something with his little body and chubby face that makes him so cute.
I usually always pick him in games whenever I get to choose him. When I play Mario Party with friends, they always hate Toad because they always see him win (obviously because he's being played by me)

ShadowE
January 12th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Kane from the Command and Conquer series...

The leader of the Brotherhood of NOD, mysterious and obsessed with Tiberium, thinks of only one thing: spreading the Tiberium for a evolution of mankind, and nothing will stop him from achieving that goal...

In Tiberium Sun (in the NOD campaign) he even blew up the GDI main command centre in space before launching his tiberium missile into the space to spread it all over Earth...

I favoured NOD over GDI because of him...

Device-Sasuke
January 12th, 2013, 11:15 AM
It has to be the badass that is Shin Akuma from the Street Fighter series. He is the embodiment of a 'living weapon'. And he has really cool red hair...

Mr Cat Dog
January 14th, 2013, 12:23 PM
The character that instantly came to mind - though I haven't played any of his games in a looooong-ass time - was Spyro from the eponymous video game series. Out of all the characters that I've utilised in games (which, admittedly, aren't that many), he's the one that seemed like the most fully realised; I can actually remember his personality, which is a great deal more than I can for many more famous characters (Mario, Link etc.) And he has a very cool design, and was great to play with in the games. Yeah, I'm feeling more confident in my pick after all of that! :D

Sweets Witch
January 14th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Cave Johnson in Portal 2. I love listening to his recordings because he chronicles how Aperture fell from power in the funniest way possible. He takes as much pride in his failures as he does in his successes.

waveguidebuizel
January 14th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Hmmm, off the top of my head, I'd say Emmy Altava from the second Professor Layton trilogy. She's spunky, teasing, and I like her expressions. Also, her fight scenes are great and fun to watch. ^-^

I'm sure I have some others, but I can't think right now.

XLegionxX
January 14th, 2013, 05:41 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with Pave Low

Vaas Montenegro

I think he is one of the only characters this year who is not a cardboard cut out. He was a lot less predictable than any character I've ever seen. Vaas fit the psychopath role perfect.

Did I ever tell you the definition of Insanity?
http://ilvideogioco.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/far-cry-3-vaas-montenegro.jpg

Mr. Avocado
January 14th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Vaas fit the psychopath role perfect.

And I couldn't agree more. He is absolutely...insane, to put it in his own words. God, I adore Vaas so much, the best character out there for sure!

ShadowE
January 15th, 2013, 07:29 AM
And I couldn't agree more. He is absolutely...insane, to put it in his own words. God, I adore Vaas so much, the best character out there for sure!

Vaas is indeed the best character in Far Cry 3 IMO, and his definition of insanity... brilliant

Little Spoiler Alert here
And the way he talks to Jason... god i hated that moment when i stabbed him

Mr. Avocado
January 15th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Vaas is indeed the best character in Far Cry 3 IMO, and his definition of insanity... brilliant
And the way he talks to Jason
You should put that last bit in a spoiler, because there are people who haven't completed the game.

You mention in Far Cry 3, that Vaas is the best character. I think, the world. If everyone played, watched the Experience, they would see what we see. Beauty; in his voice, in his movement...in everything.

I would want to be Vaas' friend in real life, but GOD Vaas would be hard to befriend.

twocows
January 15th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Kreia from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. I've explained a million times why I like her, I'll just link to my review (http://www.multiplayerreviews.com/gamereview?game=Star_Wars_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_II&rid=226&id=12477) of the game and say that, with TSLRCM, it's by far my favorite game of all time.

I think he is one of the only characters this year who is not a cardboard cut out. He was a lot less predictable than any character I've ever seen. Vaas fit the psychopath role perfect.
You should play Spec Ops: The Line before you make such sweeping generalizations. A pretty darn good game, though it suffers a bit from what is known as "railroading" in tabletop games (basically, manipulating events so that you play the game the way they want you to in order to support the writer's argument).

DavidtheDeadPhilosopher
January 17th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Rucks from Bastion, I was sold from the very first sentence.

otherwise it would have to be Sonic, although, I really dislike the most recent take on him (Colors Onward)

Dakota
January 26th, 2013, 10:24 AM
http://images.wikia.com/powerlisting/images/a/a5/Leon_Kennedy.png
Leon Scott Kennedy

Without a doubt. I've always loved the Resident Evil franchise, even though it's safe to say its popularity is spiraling down. I think the only reason I like Leon more than Chris is because Leon just seems more badass, in my opinion. His role in RE2 was brilliant, and RE4 was a masterpiece. He was pretty awesome in RE6 as well, although he obviously wasn't the star, considering the game had 7 protagonists.

Limanya
January 26th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Proooobably my favorite character would be...

Well i don't know. I love a lot of characters from the Zelda series (Saria, Fi and Vaati FTW) but Riku from Kingdom Hearts is just so awesome i really can't decide :T

Caelus
January 26th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I got two favorite characters. For the longest time it was just Mario because he was the first videogame character I heard of and because I thought a plumber/carpenter (of all people) saving the Mushroom Kingdom was an awesome concept.

Then recently I started getting into the Metal Gear Solid Series and I'm now a fan of Solid Snake. The guy is a badass, what else can I say?

Rϵd
January 29th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Red, Phoenix wright, Ema skye, Miles Edgeworth, Mario, Kirby and Yuri (Modern warfare 3). They're my fav characters of all time. All of them is in 1st place in my list. Oooh and Megaman battle network too.

Cassino
January 30th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Aigis alone made me order P3P. We'll see, but nobody before came to mind when you said 'favourite character'.

Rϵd
January 31st, 2013, 06:59 PM
I did forget Neku from the World ends with you. Lol. I have many...

Toutebelle
February 11th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Lara Croft is my all-time favorite video game character. I like that she's brave and very intelligent, and is very good at handling the supernatural.

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/6300000/Lara-Croft-tomb-raider-6320291-1200-1800.jpg

I also like Yoshi, Koopa Troopa, Birdo, and Princess Peach from the Mario games, Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man from Pac-Man, Coco from the Crash Bandicoot games, Gilgamesh and Ki from the Druaga games, and Balthier and Fran from Final Fantasy XII.

And even though I'm not a Sonic fan, I do really like Rouge, and I kinda have a soft spot for Cream even though a lot of people don't like her.

My favorite bosses are Bowser from the Mario games and Jacqueline Natla from the Tomb Raider games.

Ninetales
February 12th, 2013, 12:28 AM
YOSHI!

The cute little green dinosaur makes the library of my favorite characters. [...] From being in an egg to his favored Cucumber Kart, Yoshi will always be in my heart. <3

Yay! I really like Yoshi too--mainly because of how awesome a helper he is in Super Mario World (especially the flying Blue Yoshi). I even own a T-shirt that says I <3 Yoshi.

Toad

That cute little bugger got a nice mushroom hat :P
There's just something with his little body and chubby face that makes him so cute.

Hooray, another Toad lover! He's my other favourite SMB character, with the Lumas from Super Mario Galaxy being the third (they'd be so adorable as pets!). And that's good, since I've seen a lot of Toad-hate among Youtubers, mainly in the form of either his raspy voice or his saying that the princess is in another castle. Neither of which I mind.

I love a lot of characters from the Zelda series (Saria, Fi and Vaati FTW) but Riku from Kingdom Hearts is just so awesome i really can't decide :T

YAY, I'm not the only Saria lover here! I've even had daydreams about cosplaying as her, sitting on a tree stump, and playing her song on the ocarina. I remember being so happy to discover that she was more than just a tree-loving Kokiri while getting to the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time.

Ahem. Anyway, neither of the above three would really count as my favourite video game character overall. Overall, my favourite video game character would be Meta Knight, actually. But there are so many video game characters I really like in addition that I might as well mention them all here as well, along with why I like them so much (this will go for Meta Knight as well), and what game they're from.

Meta Knight (most Kirby games): In a world inhabited mostly by cute and carefree bloblike creatures (this includes Kirby himself), Meta Knight really stands out as cool, mysterious, and awesome all around. I like how in the games he vacillates between being friend and foe to Kirby, though overall he clearly fights on the side of good. I'm also really impressed by his morals about being a true warrior--in fact, he was like a role model to me while I was studying the martial arts. And I find it amusing how he's considered one of the best characters in SSB Brawl, and awesome how he has his own Cool Airship (the Halberd) too.

Lucca (Chrono Trigger): She almost ties with Meta Knight in being my favourite overall video game character, mainly because she really reminds me of myself. You know, with her being a nerdy scientist and all, exactly what I want to be when I grow up finish graduate school. Another thing she has in common with me is her dad being her inspiration to be interested in science (although quite horrifically in her case). Plus, the fact that she can use fire magic as well confirms one of my strongest beliefs: that magic can and will coexist with science. Right now I'm almost done with my first playthrough of Chrono Trigger and so far she's the only one who got her ultimate weapon, and I'm so happy for her that I'm in tears. Oh, and now I remember the reason why she's not my top favourite: her signature weapon is a gun, and... I'm not too fond of guns.

Wess and Duster (Mother 3): They're father and son, so they can be mentioned as one. Well, first of all, I am absolutely in love with the idea of heroic thieves--makes me wonder why Locke from Final Fantasy VI isn't on this list (oh right, he's a treasure hunter, not a thief). Second, Mother 3 is my favourite video game overall, so really any character from that game can potentially be on this list. But Wess and Duster really stand out in that game. Wess is one of the most badass old men I have ever known. He doesn't complain about physical ailments like most old people stereotypically do (for argument's sake, another old man in the game, Alec, complains a lot about lower back pain)--he even has enough pep in him to do an epically awesome para-para-ish dance to make a door open. I love how that pairs with his otherwise grumpy and stubborn personality.

As for Duster, he's one of the most badass handicapped people I have ever known. Even though he has a bad leg, he can still run and climb and such just fine (I love how they animated him limping and everything), and what's even more awesome is that the main way he damages enemies is by kicking them. With his bad leg. I also love how creatively he uses various "thief tools" for battle purposes (especially the "wall staples" he otherwise uses to make ladders), despite him not being very bright. And how he happens to be a proficient musician as well. Such a quirky and very original character, indeed.

--Other characters I really really like-- (the runner-ups)

Ayla (Chrono Trigger): Really, every main character from Chrono Trigger (except Crono and Marle--they're boring) deserves mention here, but Ayla really stands out to me in a good way. I like how she's both strong and attractive, with particular emphasis on the former. And with me being a bit of a feminist, I really like how she was the chief of the Ioka tribe and how the prehistoric people believed in equal rights. I also really like how her battle techniques look, except that awkward giant-dinosaur-tail-thingy. Especially since a lot of them involve her picking up and throwing the other characters or enemies. For a character without magic, she sure is powerful. And finally, I love how she runs on all fours. ^_^

Link (Legend of Zelda): You know, it took me a long time to really like him. And I'm still not sure what my status on him is, considering I rarely play as him in Super Smash Bros. One reason why he stands out to me is that despite the fact that he's a silent protagonist, created mainly to be a link between the player and the game (hence his name), he actually seems to be given a sort of personality through the events of the games. He's the very epitome of what a silent protagonist should be. I've played lots of games which featured a silent protagonist who seemed boring to me (i.e. Crono from Chrono Trigger, and the main character in all main-series Pokemon games), but the Zelda games did it right. And of course, I like the fact that he hangs around faeries and enjoys nature and plays magical music and wields a sword (definitely my favourite weapon) that isn't ridiculously huge (sorry Cloud).

Ultros (Final Fantasy VI): Never expected this, did you? That's right, not Kefka, not any of the main characters, but the evil octopus who blocks a river, almost crashes an opera, and manages to appear on an airship. I'm really interested in the quirky and weird aspects of a game, and this game has plenty of them. Heck, I might as well mention Moogles and Setzer's silly random-chance attacks here as well. Kefka may be famously demented in this game, but Ultros seems like he's even moreso to me. I like how his signature move is turning people into imps, and how he places himself in physical situations that no ordinary octopus would ever do (especially being on a wooden beam and floating over an airship). Indeed, do not tease this octopus.

Mr. Saturn (Earthbound/Mother 3): Speaking of quirky and weird, Mr. Saturn really takes the cake--I mean the Strawberry Tofu--in this. He--or rather they, as they're an entire species--are walking domes with giant noses, speak in a strange dialect consisting of flipped-around speech and primitive grammar, and love throwing the words "boing" and "zoom" and "ding" and even "dakota" in their speech. And they have weird yet awesome tastes in food, hence the strawberry tofu, among other things. I love how they even have their own crazy font to accompany their crazy speech. And how they don't seem to mind being stepped on or thrown (they're actually throwable items in Super Smash Bros). Earthbound is a weird game, sometimes in a bad way (I'm looking at you, Master Belch), but the Mr. Saturns are just so lovable to me.

Marisa Kirisame (most Touhou games): I really like witches. I really like Cute Witches even more (sorry Gruntilda). I really like young Cute Witches who are not otherwise creepy (sorry Mismagius--but you're still one of my favourite Pokemon). Marisa is all three of these, and she tops it off with a spunky, almost tomboyish personality and some really powerful electric attacks to boot, despite her being called an "Ordinary Magician" in the games. I also really like her almost gothic lolita-ish style of attire, and the fact that she has some awesome theme music as well. Of course, I absolutely love the Touhou games in general for their music. And I'm surprised how there can be such wonderful characters in a danmaku or "bullet hell" shooting game. Oh, and the catch in this? I've never actually played any of the Touhou games. Yet I still think Marisa is awesome. How awesome is that?

KriegStein
February 13th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Uuh. Tough choice. At this moment:
Sissel from Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. Funny dialogue, cool style and well written story raise him to my top tier.
JC.Denton from Deus Ex. Somehow he just is awesome. All the way from his style to his complex dialogue. And awesome backstory/story.
"Jack" Naked Snake. (later Big Boss) Awesome in everyway.

SolarAbusoru
February 14th, 2013, 04:25 AM
A bit tough, but for nearly each individual series I have played.
Pokemon: Wes - EX thief, able to resist Pokemon attacks that'd normally knock a person down hard, rides a wicked motorcycle.
Zelda: Link of course, specifically his Skyward Sword incarnation due that one being the most expressive of the lot and being the one to start the timeline.
Final Fantasy: Definitely tough here, but I would have to say Freya from FF9 - Tragic, looks cool, and is able to defeat rather powerful enemies solo in just one turn (technically).
Sonic: Sonic - pretty obvious
Megaman: Zero - Wily's Greatest creation that ended up being Earth's greatest saviour, and generally has a rather collected attitude/personality, as well as being very powerful.
Okami: Oki(kurumi) - has a cool appearance, can turn into a wolf, partners with you in one of the best boss fights in the game, has a great theme, some good development in the short time he appears, and has a cool sword.

Wild_Squirtle
February 18th, 2013, 03:20 PM
I have to say, the old Dante was pretty awesome, but then there is also Tails from Sonic, Adam Jensen from Deus Ex and you have to love Luigi

Hikamaru
February 18th, 2013, 07:42 PM
My faves ever would have to be Crash Bandicoot and Spyro from the said games, and also Ratchet & Clank.

The main reason being that they were part of my gaming childhood. Also, most Pokemon characters too (namely ones from Black/White and Black 2/White 2), so many I cannot list them all.

I also liked a lot of the characters from the Sonic games as well, probably cos of designs lol.

B3andon
February 18th, 2013, 07:54 PM
My favorite charter would have to be Max Payne.

He is an unstable drunk pill popping killer he has some really deep emotions in the game and has a dark sense of humor.

Other than that Master Chief all the way!

Wild_Squirtle
February 20th, 2013, 03:00 PM
My faves ever would have to be Crash Bandicoot and Spyro from the said games, and also Ratchet & Clank.

The main reason being that they were part of my gaming childhood. Also, most Pokemon characters too (namely ones from Black/White and Black 2/White 2), so many I cannot list them all.

I also liked a lot of the characters from the Sonic games as well, probably cos of designs lol.

Have to agree with Spyro, Ratchet and Clank and Sonic characters :) Great, rememberable characters to play as

Princess Sandshrew
March 19th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Right now I have to say Garrett from the Thief series.
Master thief, mechanical eye, dat voice <3
coolest character imo

Miss Doronjo
March 19th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Speaking of Sonic characters, I would say my favourite character from the Sonic series would have to be Tails and, well, if she counts, Wave the Swallow, because they're both pretty brilliant when it comes to technology. Well, granted, Dr. Eggman is also pretty brilliant and I like him too, but, I just... don't care for his personality sometimes. I just really like Tails's bright and happy side, with a strong desire to help his friends out with technology, and with Wave, you know -- she's someone that knows what she wants, and well, I do like her kind of "spunky" yet snobby attitude.

As for the Tales series, my favourite characters would have to be Pascal from Tales of Graces, because she's just... crazy. XD As well as Yuri Lowell, because his sarcasm and laid-back personality are both amazing put together, plus, he's one of those character's who seems like a bad-ass, but also has a heart of gold! The same can be said about Jade Curtis and Ange Serena, because they're both pretty sarcastic, and, both.. kind of crazy in their own perspective. Jade has a mind set on tormenting the youth, and Ange is pretty greedy. Special mentions go to Zelos, Arietta, the Wild, Arche, and Raven, because they're all pretty awesome.

Zorogami
March 19th, 2013, 09:06 AM
There is just way too many cool characters to chose from, so I'll make categories:

Childish Hero: Sora from KH
Funniest Character: Dexter from Jak&Dexter
Silent Protagonist: Crash Bandicoot
Badass Soldier: Snake from the Metal Gear series