PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Nicknamed Pokemon

Blaze the Cat
December 18th, 2012, 12:54 PM
What is your opinion when you receive a nicknamed and trained Pokemon through trade? How do you feel? Example is a Charizard level 83, nicknamed Inferno, received Pallet Town level 5.

Pingouin7
December 25th, 2012, 12:39 PM
My opinion is that I don't like nicknames.

LilJz
December 25th, 2012, 12:43 PM
If they're nice, I don't mind. If I'm planning on just having them for Pokedex completion, I don't mind neither since I'm probably not gonna be using the Pokemon.

But when I'm planning on using a Pokemon i got from the trade, I expect it to be the regular name or a nice nickname. I mostly get Japanese named Pokemon and I don't really like it lol. I prefer having names I can actually read myself.

Patrick
December 25th, 2012, 01:11 PM
In the first color and metal generations, at least you had the added benefit of seeing what color they were in Pokemon Stadium (2). I've only gave nicknames or rather birthnames to Pokemon in Mystery Dungeon, but I usually don't bother just incase it gets traded or something.

As far as receiving, as long as you don't get Pokemon with names like Weiner, Runt, Worthless, Failure, Unloved or Steaming Pile, being stuck with a nicknamed Pokemon isn't the worst thing in the world.

LilJz
December 25th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I had Pokemon named like *****deise and Dildo >.>

Playful_Weasel
December 25th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't mind a Pokemon with a nickname, hope its something good, or the Pokemon will stay in the PC storage for ever.

이큐리
December 25th, 2012, 05:37 PM
I love Pokemon with nice nicknames. Ones that you can tell the trainer put some thought into it.
Any Pokemon I get that has weird/lame/dumb nicknames usually get released right after I get it.

curiousnathan
December 25th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I hate Pokemon with nicknames. I very very rarely nickname my pokemon. I...just don't like it. It's hard to explain.

이큐리
December 25th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I hate Pokemon with nicknames. I very very rarely nickname my pokemon. I...just don't like it. It's hard to explain.
I would nickname all my Pokemon if I could. The only reason I don't is because of this. ^
xD

Gonzo
December 26th, 2012, 04:49 AM
I love Pokemon with nice nicknames. Ones that you can tell the trainer put some thought into it.
Any Pokemon I get that has weird/lame/dumb nicknames usually get released right after I get it.

^ that +:
- I nickname my in-game party Pokemon, usually with usernames of my fav PC users 8D
- I nickname my WiFi Pokemon, I love when my opponents can say: "I see what you did there" My favourite NNs are: ScoobyDoom the Houndoom and Shiny4kix the Shiny Garchomp. I always try to nickname my Pokemon according to their typing, moveset, their role in the team or just their appearance. (I'm sad that you can't use Pokemon named with other Pokemon species' name, I really like my Pikachu, the Shiny Azumarill...)
- I nickname Pokemon on request when I'm trading. Usually people are like: "Yeah... a NN would be cool, but I have no idea how to call this Pokemon, pick something nice, mkay?" So it's my job to find a cool nickname for them ;)

Blaze the Cat
December 29th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I nickname all my Pokemon similar to Gonz0, but when I get a traded Pokemon that has been nicknamed, it makes me kind of sad. I never trade away my Pokemon, it's just something I don't do(unless I'm sending it to another game to fill the Pokedex). That reminds me, I need to find my Platinum and trade back my Snorlax.

twistedpuppy
December 29th, 2012, 04:55 PM
- I nickname my WiFi Pokemon, I love when my opponents can say: "I see what you did there"

I do that as well with all of my mons. I usually name them characters from books, shows, movies, or myths. A few of my favorite ones are: Lumiere the Chandelure, Cheshire the Gengar, Luffy the Ambipom, and Poseidon/Leviathan the Kyogre.

My favourite NNs are: ScoobyDoom the Houndoom

Omg! That is so cute! <3

Hooh54
December 29th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I nickname all of them. Sort of makes them more personal and adds sentimental value.

PikachuAddict
December 29th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I don't usually nn my Pokémon, but usually when I do the nn comes from a book I'm or an old college history text book. Only one time did I give a really horrible nickname, and it was a really ugly Pokémon that I nicknamed Fugly. I forget what it was, but I only caught it for the purpose of trading online.

FastEddeh
January 1st, 2013, 07:54 AM
I usually spend a good five or six minutes at a time thinking up nicknames for my pokemon, and usually I will never trade a pokemon that I've nicknamed unless I get a really good trade or I know the person who I am trading to.

If I do trade them I usually let the person know and ask them if they want me to rename them or change the name back to a more correct name.

Drago Dragonite
January 2nd, 2013, 02:36 PM
Well...I love nicknaming pokemon.I nickname every single one of my pokemon,and because of that,I made a ‘name list’ I update every year.Sometimes I give them names like ‘John’,‘Jack’,‘Filipe’,but when I feel creative,I give good names, like nicknaming ‘Tesla’ an electric type,or nicknaming ‘Newton’ an Emolga.I just like my friends laughing and pointing out certain names,like ‘The Bold’(my boldore),Croco Rex (my totodile),Shaun (mareep),or Rainbow (Marill),or even Bouncy (azurill).I once nicknamed my eevee Charle Magne,because I was offering it to my French friend.He loved it ^^.

Kyris
January 2nd, 2013, 11:08 PM
I only nickname pokemon I'll actually be using, and then only if I can think of a name I really like. My hydregion, for instance, is named "Omega", my ferrothorn is named 'Roswell", and my Chandelure is named "CandleJack". I have an Alomomola, salamence, and staryu I haven't came up with names for.

Drago Dragonite
January 3rd, 2013, 11:05 AM
:)I only nickname pokemon I'll actually be using, and then only if I can think of a name I really like. My hydregion, for instance, is named "Omega", my ferrothorn is named 'Roswell", and my Chandelure is named "CandleJack". I have an Alomomola, salamence, and staryu I haven't came up with names for.

A cool name I figured out for Alomomola is "Florence",if she is a female,because of the pokedex entry.Maybe Salamence could be "Spencer",because it is a cool name.Staryu...Maybe Andromeda?(not really a star...But it fits ^^).My names are pretty lame,but at least I hope they gave you some ideas! :]

pokemanmdj
January 3rd, 2013, 11:56 AM
Personally, I always try to nickname my Pokemon. It's just that sense of that Pokemon is unique- it's not just another Swanna, it's actually a Swanna that's a "Wizard Lv7."
I tend to give them nice nicknames, or somewhat humorous ones.

But I always name my Tentacruels the name they were given in the beta of Red/Green/Blue.
Man O War. That name is just fantastic. :P

Mama-Mamo
January 3rd, 2013, 12:09 PM
I love nicknaming my Pokemon!! :D

I think of them more as actual names than nicknames... For example, in my monotype challenge right now, I have a Primeape named Apple. <3 Nicknames are fun. It's always sad though to see people name their Pokemon vulgar, rude, or unoriginal names.

Oh or HM SLAVE. <- THIS. D:

SoulSilver10112
January 3rd, 2013, 06:55 PM
I like getting Pokemon with nicknames, as I nickname mine as well. One of my favotite nicknames I got in a trade was a Quilfish named Mrs.Puff.

Mama-Mamo
January 3rd, 2013, 07:06 PM
I like getting Pokemon with nicknames, as I nickname mine as well. One of my favotite nicknames I got in a trade was a Quilfish named Mrs.Puff.

MRS. PUFF. HAHAHAHA YES. THAT'S FANTASTIC.

RingoH
January 4th, 2013, 06:11 AM
I don't mind nicknames on recieved Pokemon, it makes them feel more personal. What I DO REALLY mind is when they come with nicknames that showed a trainer did not care. Such as "Stupid" or any vulagar looking ones. Although, I've named almost every Magikarp I've caught "Magi-Krap" so I can't say too much I guess(although I don't trade those away).

I REALLY like foreign Pokemon with the original name intact in a different language (Or Nicknamed as I would likely not notice the difference, especially if it's a Japanese one).

bizebest
January 15th, 2013, 06:30 PM
I'm particular about Legendaries and Events. Those, I cannot bare to nickname or have a nicknamed one.
But when it comes to breedables, I like giving my competitive pokes some individuality. All my team players have a nickname : Tumble-Dry the Rotom-W :P , Narcissus the Shiny Milotic, Crimson the Scizor, Jewel the Starmie, Full-Metal the Metagross...
I try to give them cool names.

skyluigi2
January 16th, 2013, 01:19 AM
As long as the nicknames aren't really bad or rude, I don't mind.
As for what I do, I always nickname ALL my Pokemon. It helps separate Pokemon of the same species, and makes it easier to organise my boxes.

Miss Anne Thrope
January 18th, 2013, 09:36 AM
I usually arrange my trades online, where I ask the trader to nickname the Pokemon to my liking. In the case where I am just trying to obtain the Pokemon's species, I don't care about the name- I will most likely just breed it to get desired nature and gender.

dragonfly_dust
January 29th, 2013, 04:08 PM
I personally love nicknaming Pokemon. Especially when I make teams and make a theme out of it.

Sydian
January 29th, 2013, 04:17 PM
I love nicknaming Pokemon and when I request a trade with someone, I usually have them nickname the Pokemon for me. I don't ever use the GTS or random trades though, so I can't say I ran into a nicknamed Pokemon that bothered me. I generally don't like all caps names or really crappy names, like Sparky the Shinx or something. It's not that bad, but it's pretty generic.

All the Pokemon I offer in my shop are nicknamed, so if you don't request a new name or the name to be removed, you're stuck with the name. :P I'm good at naming them though!

February 6th, 2013, 05:32 PM
I, being the indecisive person I am, generally go between nick naming my Pokemon and not nicknaming them, changing their names with the Name Rater, and then changing their names again.

Like I said, really indecisive.

atomtanned
February 7th, 2013, 10:49 AM
I used to NEVER name my Pokemon, and it drove me crazy when I would get nicknamed Pokes in a trade. But I actually started nicknaming when online trading was introduced. It was always fun to see what nicknames you'd get from other people!

I bought a used copy of Ruby recently and when I turned it on, there was still a save file on it. Some jerk had named his Pokemon all vulgar, gross names, so I renamed all of them and transferred them to another game and erased the file. Kinda silly, but I felt bad for them! I think eventually I might transfer them to Gen IV and offer them as rescue Pokes to people.

twistedpuppy
February 7th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I bought a used copy of Ruby recently and when I turned it on, there was still a save file on it. Some jerk had named his Pokemon all vulgar, gross names, so I renamed all of them and transferred them to another game and erased the file. Kinda silly, but I felt bad for them! I think eventually I might transfer them to Gen IV and offer them as rescue Pokes to people.

The previous owner of that game was a jerk. If you're going to sell your game or trade one of Pokémon away, make sure the OT/nicknames are age appropriate with the game's target audience. I wouldn't want to be the parent explaining to their child why someone nicknamed stunfisk ********. Not that I've ever nicknamed derpfisk something vulgar. >.>

Laylaw
February 11th, 2013, 09:45 AM
I actually prefer the Pokémon I receive in trades to be nicknamed. I, myself, nickname ALL my Pokémon. Not because I want to leave my mark or anything, but because it's easier to tell the difference between my Pokémon that way.
If I had 10 Clefairies and was going to trade a few of them away because they didn't get the right nature or whatever, it's much more easier for me to think: "So Barbie, Venus and Cookie have Magic Guard as their ability? Might as well, put them up for trading"

JohnnyJ773
February 12th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I nickname all of my pokemon. I just like coming up with creative names that fit them.

Boilurn
February 12th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I'm not a fan of nicknames, so I rarely use them on any Pokemon. However, there were a few that I did nickname. For instance: I called my Darumaka 'Moltblob' and Virizion 'Vertelope', because I thought these original names didn't make any sense.

Shiroi Alucard
February 26th, 2013, 01:40 PM
I as well like to nickname practically every Pokémon I catch, I use influences from different countries and history for the names I choose for my Pokémon.

For instance, I have a Pidgeotto in SS, that I named Ciel-Feng which means "Heaven's Feel" using French(Ciel) and Chinese(Feng). Another Pokémon, Froslass, I named "Weiss Lili" which is essentially White in German and a varient of the name "Lili" after the flower.

Soile
March 19th, 2013, 05:49 AM
As a general rule, I don't like them, but good nicknames don't bother me. Like if they named it Poop Face. Or Rachel.

When I actually do nickname pokémon, it's usually just the pokémon I'm using to play through the game, and I generally do it kind of like the in-game trades do it: a play on the name (as an RPer, I probably imagine this is how you'd do it in real life as well if it wasn't one of those made-up, name irrelevant nicknames). My White 2 team is Pora, Sepe, Aefa, Neta, Abby, and Lye. Any guesses? :P

ZakFaire
March 22nd, 2013, 06:19 PM
I name all mine after my favorite beverages. Right now, my lineup is "Scotch", "Moonshine", "Tropius"(traded), "Bourbon", "Absinthe", and "Vodka"!

~RNC~
March 22nd, 2013, 06:49 PM
I only nickname my starter poke and do not like getting any pokemon NN'ed in a trade at all.

Dullstar
March 22nd, 2013, 06:55 PM
I sometimes nickname pokemon I'm actually using. Other than that, I don't nickname anything. Depending on the playthrough, sometimes I use nicknames to ID HM Slaves, sometimes I don't. And finally, when trading between my own games, sometimes I have nothing to give the other game in return and will just catch a random pokemon and call it Worthless (and then subsequently release the poke or restart the game, depending on what the trades were done for)

Tyrael
March 22nd, 2013, 07:05 PM
I don't mind NN'd pokemon. Though I do hate it when i get a NN'd legendary/stupid name. I recently got a Latios named "BURN!" and Volcorona named "DaFukAmI?"

On my SoulSilver I had a Torterra named Twiggy/Twiglet, Gengar named Spook, and a few others I can't even remember xD

Seki
March 22nd, 2013, 07:12 PM
I nickname them occasionally, provided if I know a nice name for it, but most of the times, its me being random.

I don't mind nicknames from the other party, provided if its nice/has a meaning behind it.

CoreyRX8
March 27th, 2013, 02:34 AM
I prefer to let my trader nickname their Pokemon. I'd rather read out their nicknames as it shows respect for the person and it shows they loved their Pokemon to the end.

Mircea Dan
March 29th, 2013, 12:45 PM
I hate nicknames...

Lol, that reminds me that I got from the GTS an Gengar nicknamed Satan a couple of weeks ago. :))

Naturalles
March 30th, 2013, 08:29 AM
I hate nicknames. But I'm not bothered if it was from a trade.

I'm so weird, huh?

Magykx
March 30th, 2013, 08:53 AM
I never name my Pokemon. When I receive one with a nickname, I normally just change it unless it's Japanese, then I just leave it because it looks cool. Haha

tabor62
March 30th, 2013, 10:16 AM
I don't nickname my own Pokemon because I am very uncreative. I don't mind receiving nicknames as long as they aren't offensive or vulgar.

I never name my Pokemon. When I receive one with a nickname, I normally just change it unless it's Japanese, then I just leave it because it looks cool. Haha

What do you mean you change it? You have to cheat/hack to change nicknames from other people 0.o

Rayziken 2
March 31st, 2013, 11:52 AM
What do you mean you change it? You have to cheat/hack to change nicknames from other people 0.o
Maybe the Pokémon he gets are Basic so they can have their nickname changed when they evolve. Then again, I'm not sure if you can still do that. XD

tabor62
March 31st, 2013, 03:21 PM
Maybe the Pokémon he gets are Basic so they can have their nickname changed when they evolve. Then again, I'm not sure if you can still do that. XD

Pokemon's names only change if they are evolved under 3 different conditions. That would be:
1. Pokemon with capitalized names from previous generations
2. Pokemon with a foreign name
3. hacked Pokemon with a hacked nickname that didn't set off the nickname flag.

If the Pokemon has a legit nickname, it will not change when it is evolved; and chances are; if it's name changes and it isn't a foreign one, it is hacked. Also, there are no Pokemon games in which the nickname changes if it evolves if I recall correctly.

TrainerTori
April 5th, 2013, 11:15 AM
I dont really mind nicnamed pokemon :)
I generally trade lvl 1 for lvl 1, so if I dont like the nicname, I just breed myself a new one and trade the original back out.

I did, however, recently trade my personal munchlax, Tubbington, *face>palm* didn't mean to do that.

Musica
April 5th, 2013, 05:10 PM
I like nicknaming the Pokemons I use. If I set them up for trading, I leave them with their original names, except the freebies I give from time to time.

Kitori
April 18th, 2013, 01:51 PM
I'm really picky about my nicknames... but I usually only trade for breeders anyway. If I were trading for a pokemon I wanted to use competitively or in my game I would request a nickname that I liked.

Mochi
April 18th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I like nicknamed Pokemon as long as the nicknames are good or clever, or I personally nicknamed them. It gives them so much more personality and makes the game that more fun to me.

Wilhelm
April 21st, 2013, 07:06 PM
I don't mind when other people nickname Pokemon, but I don't generally. What does bother me is when people nn legendary Pokemon. I mean, they already have a name! It's not like other Pokemon where there are supposed to be tons of them, and that's their species. Legendary Pokemon are legendary, they are named as individuals. Theoretically, in the continuity of the series, there is only supposed to be one of that Pokemon in existence. That's just my take on it though.

Sir Mister
April 29th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I nickname all my pokemon- I try to be clever with the nicknames of pokemon I intend to use in the game, I try a little less hard to be clever with the nicknames of pokemon who will sit in the box, though I do still try. I nickname pokemon who I will breed for an ability after that ability, and I name pokemon I'm going to breed for a nature after said nature. If I get a traded pokemon and I actually care about its nickname or lack thereof, I'd indicate as such before hand, but unless I was trading for a breeder ditto, I just don't see myself actually caring.

MIAU
May 2nd, 2013, 05:23 AM
I never traded away nicknamed Pokemon, because I only give nicknames to Pokemon in my main team and HM slaves and my false swipers and the ones I breed; basically, any Pokemon that I use in one way or another. And I actually like getting nicknamed Pokemon, as long as it's not an offensive name. Also, when I get a Japanese or Korean Pokemon, I check online if it has its species name or a nickname. I actually have a Korean (I think...) Samurott, and it seems to have a nickname and I'm really, really curious what it means. I just hope it's nothing related to butts or anything like that Magnemite I got a while ago.

Cinderkittyz
May 30th, 2013, 11:28 AM
I LOVE nicknaming pokemon!
But if I get one with a rude name, its getting breed and deleted, and ill just keep the baby xD

Quetzal
August 1st, 2013, 03:11 PM
I've taken to giving my Pokemon nicknames lately, though I didn't always. Makes me feel closer to them. To the collection of pixels in the animated monsters on my DS screen...I may need to get out more :laugh: My current team's nicknames (the ones in my sig) are:

Quorra the Blaziken, named after the character from Tron: Legacy.
Mistral the Jolteon, named after the .Hack character.
Rumor the Froslass, named after a character from a .Hack novel.
Nausicaa the Milotic, named after the Studio Ghibli character.
Elnara the Sawsbuck, slightly inspired by Inara the Firefly character.
Tiamat the Hydreigon, named after the multi-headed dragon god in DnD.

As for other peoples nicknames? I like them. It shows a little of who the previous owner was, even if it's something rude or in a language I don't understand.

S7Kid
August 1st, 2013, 03:34 PM
I'm probably just gonna breed it myself so I don't really care. I don't trade for Legendaries since I don't actually use them in battles. Though If I actually wanted it (Like Entei, Mew, Mewtwo or Lugia) because I like them, I guess I wouldn't mind.
As for mine, I don't nickname them at all. I prefer them having their actual name.

ChipmunkGamingInc.
August 7th, 2013, 04:22 PM
The only time I don't nickname a Pokemon is when I trade them to Japanese people who probably have no idea what it says.

*~Maelstrom~*

Fiery Dash
August 12th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Only some of my Pokemon gets nicknamed,
These are some of those Pokemon that gets named: Roserade, Roserade and Roserade.
Rosaura, Rosie and Rosetta respectively, so unoriginal isn't it? :P

atomtanned
August 12th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I name all of my Pokemon, actually. I just feel like it makes the game a little more personal, you know?

I actually still remember the nickname I gave my very first Pokemon ever... when I played Pokemon Blue when I was a kid, I named my Charmander Matches. Since then, I always name any Charmander evolution line I get with that nickname, for nostalgia's sake.

⊗Slenderman⊗
August 12th, 2013, 04:55 PM
I don't nickname my Pokemon. It really ticks me off when I get an event/legendary/etc. Pokemon via trade that's nicknamed and they didn't tell me. I have a Deoxys on White version, but I never use it solely because I really dislike its nickname.

I did nickname my Larvitar, but I seriously nicknamed it "Larvitar" (so it wouldn't say "LARVITAR"). I don't plan on evolving her, considering I only have used her for contests.

Aeroblast
August 12th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Usually I don't nickname pokemon, unless I'm carrying a 4th gen 'mon over to 5th, for consistency's sake. However there are couple I do nickname just because I like them as Pokemon, though I'll name it back if I'm trading.

Shizzable
August 12th, 2013, 07:41 PM
I'm really picky about having good nicknames, so when I see one I don't like I'm just like "NUU! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?"

Mackenzie
August 14th, 2013, 12:06 AM
As Slenderman already pointed out, the only ever use i had for nicknames was with the advent of gen 5; it made using "STARMIE" obsolete, because an uncapped nickname "Starmie" that would be migrated seemed more fitting for this gen (i believe, it was a very effective solution to address legendaries that would otherwise remain with the horrendous all capped names; barring un-abused gen 4 wifi events).

I do admit I've had fun playing with nicknamed pokemon for the sole purpose of participating in the gen 3 contests, (because all my opponents had them as well anyway :p); and if only gen 2 had a remake on gba, it would seem better to use the in-game traded pokemon as well for those gen 3 contests. But that was it, i didn't transfer those nicknamed pokemon; i didn't find the gen 4 super contests to be as appealing. :/

Altair
August 15th, 2013, 03:29 AM
I don't mind nicknames as long as it isn't rude or offensive... I bought a used copy of Ruby the other week, all the Pokemon on this players team had really inappropriate nicknames! ;P
I only nickname Pokemon I use in competitive battling. I plan to use a Granbull called 'Canterbury' ...

ilias_
August 24th, 2013, 03:28 AM
I don't like nicknames. I don't give nicknames to my Pokemon and if I trade with someone and the Pokemon has a nickname I will breed it and release it lol :)

«Chuckles»
August 24th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Hate nicknames that I don't give them, I always name my Pokemon after cool genie/demon names like: Djinn, Azazel and sometimes after the 7 deadly sins like gluttony is a snorlax and lust is a gardevoir

atomtanned
August 28th, 2013, 10:23 AM
I don't mind nicknames as long as it isn't rude or offensive... I bought a used copy of Ruby the other week, all the Pokemon on this players team had really inappropriate nicknames! ;P

That actually happened to me when I bought a used copy of Ruby as well, weird! I felt bad for them because I'm a nerd, and I actually took them to the Name Rater to change them.

LilJz
August 29th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Someone traded me a Mewtwo that is called TheRapist. I really hate that Mewtwo, lol....

~RNC~
August 29th, 2013, 05:25 PM
I don't like nicknames myself the only poke I NN is my starter cause he is always with me and his name is always "Babe" no matter which starter I choose.

yeahhhboiii
August 31st, 2013, 04:30 PM
MRS. PUFF. HAHAHAHA YES. THAT'S FANTASTIC.

I like it too haha. I often give Spongebob nicknames, i.e. Mr. Krabs for Kingler, Patrick for Staryu, Sandy for Pachirisu, and Pearl for my Wailord XD

I love nicknaming my Pokes! I give them funny or goofy nicknames, and sometimes with references to pop culture, some of my favorite original nicknames are:
Snoop Frog the Politoed
Pearl the Wailord
Off! the Charizard (it's Bug repellant lol)
Doppelle the Misdreavus
and my favorite, Trinidad the Hitmonchan (PM me if you understand this and i'll give you a cookie)

Seifonor
September 8th, 2013, 03:42 PM
I don't mind the nicknames as long as it fits the pokémon and isn't just a stupid name. Otherwise I barely nickname my pokémon unless I get a boost of imagination (namind bisharp Dark Link and Emboar Ganon :P )

Juxapose
September 10th, 2013, 05:48 AM
I always take traded Pokemon to breed, then trade it away to Yancy. Let her deal with them.

SnowpointQuincy
September 10th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I Nickname all the pokemon I breed to keep track of them. The ones I EV train get upgraded nicknames and a Star mark on the PC.

Pig Mama, female Emboar
Hogfather, male Mamoswine

Azure Rathalδs
September 10th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I try and nickname most of my pokemon; It gives me distinction between other Pokémon because I've put a bit of creativity into them.

Warsmith
September 20th, 2013, 07:45 PM
I started nicknaming all of my pokemon in White. I started off by naming my starter, Snivy, Liquid. Some of them I've really thought about and some of them I haven't. There are also a few that I've forgotten or can't explain anymore.
Anyways ere are a few, koff~

Victini to Vicky
Liepard to Crulio
Seismitoad to Bose
Swadloon to Leafeater
Solosis to Osbrosis
Klink to Clockwerk
Durant to Pants
The obvious Virizion to Verizon
Swanna to Pekish
Trubbish to Hefty
Drifloon to Baroon
Haxorus to Lahrghwdyz
Scolipede to Wheels
Tranquill to Bobabod
Bulbasaur to R
Called it like it was with Bibarel to Dumbface
Cranidos to Spinal Tap
Bagon to Bagel
Metagross to Metalicka
Lileep to Reaper
Seviper to Naked (not what you think at first)
Sharpedo to Cleaver
Swellow to Sbaro
Stantler to Trstiy
Elekid to Plug me in
Qwilfish to poofish
Magikarp to Sprashattk
Kingler to Imitation
Marowak to Bonedust
Muk to Mercury
Golbat to G1 Sprite
A meowth called Hank
Raichu to Civinity
Wartortle to Wade
And a Heracross called Megalon

This list is short compared to what I've named them all. I'm still working on edging out the trades and making them my own. If you have any questions as to what I've named a certain pokemon, feel free to ask. I'm sure I have a wonderful name stored away, koffi~

The Cutest Sylveon In The World
September 20th, 2013, 08:23 PM
I always nicknamed my Pokemon. Always. Pokemon to me feel incomplete without a nickname... it's like giving them a nickname gives them a more personal feel.

Although I've gotten slightly better over the years at the actual nicknaming process, haha. I can't say I remember any recent nicknames of mine off the top of my head and unfortunately my DS is not with me, but they're certainly better than my old names such as Charmy the Charmander or Lightning the Raichu... or Authora the Lugia. (When I was about 9 or so, I tried nicknaming my Lugia Aurora, but misspelled it pretty bad.)

Elaitenstile
September 21st, 2013, 12:57 AM
Well, I prefer not to get Pokémon with nicknames, because my taste is to change them every five minutes. Perhaps I can be satisfied if it is punny or funny, but mostly I want them to be nicknamed their species name.
I can't remember any of my nicknames because, like I said, I change them every five minutes.

Hibicakes
October 4th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Love nick-naming Pokémon! It makes them feel special to me and, being a role-player, gives me a sense of personality with them. I have the theme of naming my Pokémon after my favorite thing: Food! (And herbs, spices, etc.) Rapidash is Cayenne, Emolga is Sancerre, Haxorus is Avocado and so on. It's been a challenge for me to pick out names, but that's the fun part. I don't name legendaries though.

When it comes to trading however, I don't mind receiving a Pokémon with one as long as they aren't inappropriate or out of place. Like a Charizard named Squirtle. But typically I don't trade for trained Pokémon that I can't nickname or have the original name to.

Water Gym Leader
October 7th, 2013, 03:30 PM
I once got a Turtwig Named TreeF***er. Why?

Rufio
October 20th, 2013, 01:02 PM
I just got a Kadabra named F***ot.....Uncool bro...uncool....

Chotix
October 21st, 2013, 01:14 PM
I recently began nick naming. It adds a personal flair. I like to. Nickname wonder trade pokemon something humorous.

ChattyTiger
October 24th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I got a ditto from the Wonder Trade a few days ago named 5DollarFtLong xD

As for myself nicknaming, I like to if I can think of a good one.

Kumo163
November 3rd, 2013, 06:58 PM
I love nick names, I love seeing the creativity of others. I nickname all the pokemon I catch that I don't intend to go into trade. I got a durant named "Squidwerd" (exact spelling). I kept him just for that name XD. I've got a steelix named "thumper" on X, looooove him.

kirbasaur
December 13th, 2013, 12:12 PM
nick naming seams to give the pokemon a personality(besides nature) like i usually nick name my bulbasaurs Dino because they look like little grass dinosaurs

Harmonious Fusion
December 14th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I like appropriate nicknames, especially silly ones. I've actually kept a few wonder trade Pokemon solely because they were nicknamed, like Sir Noms the (female) Gulpin.

Kokocat
December 22nd, 2013, 10:56 AM
I recently received a Furfrou nicknamed Lucy in a Wonder Trade. I checked the OT and it was indeed the person who traded her. I was going to put her back into the wonder roulette when I noticed she came in a Luxury Ball... This person must have cared about this pokemon I thought, so I decided to keep her. We go to the salon everyday :3

I like nicknamed pokemon if their clever, but I'm sad if I find out later the pokemon came from a nuzlocke gone bad =/

Sopheria
December 24th, 2013, 09:24 AM
If it was a Pokemon that I intend to use in battle, I just breed it. If it was just for Pokedex completion, it makes no difference to me.

Kirschwasser
December 26th, 2013, 04:08 AM
All of my Pokémon have nicknames, so it looks odd when I get one without a nickname...

Oh, speaking of bad Pokémon names, someone traded me a Trubbish named H* Bag. Really, dude? Really?!!

CptSwaggerPants
January 1st, 2014, 06:51 PM
I love nicknames, I won't even trade most of the time if I can't nickname them.

And I give them awful nicknames too, to annoy people like: LLCruelJ, Godlyboner, White Power and so fourth.

I just gave two shinies for a normal 4IV Dratini because the fact it had a very offensive nickname lol.

Wilhelm
January 1st, 2014, 07:01 PM
I love nicknames, I won't even trade most of the time if I can't nickname them.

And I give them awful nicknames too, to annoy people like: LLCruelJ, Godlyboner, White Power and so fourth.

I just gave two shinies for a normal 4IV Dratini because the fact it had a very offensive nickname lol.
I hate annoying nicknames, and I'm sure many people don't appreciate it, but sometimes people give stuff awesome nicknames. I myself like to put thought into it and only nickname Pokemon that are really important to me, like my IV bred Larvitar I called Behemoth, after the legendary monster of the same name.

CptSwaggerPants
January 1st, 2014, 07:31 PM
I hate annoying nicknames, and I'm sure many people don't appreciate it, but sometimes people give stuff awesome nicknames. I myself like to put thought into it and only nickname Pokemon that are really important to me, like my IV bred Larvitar I called Behemoth, after the legendary monster of the same name.

I do it for the soul purpose of being annoying but also, I don't trade these Pokemon out. I keep them all and wonder trade off ones I don't bother to nick name. I named my Tyranitar YOLORANITAR lol. I see a lot of Pokemon wonder traded, with myth and ancient names. I usually Google them and learn something, pretty neat.

WonderfulWhiscash
January 5th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I did wonder trade a Psyduck named Mothaducker once. I always like to nickname things, and if it's not nicknamed, I refuse to use it! I have to breed myself a new one because yes, I'm that picky about it

meerkat
January 9th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I prefer to leave pokemon names as they are as they are special on its own! and no need to change it. i traded once and received raichu named electra, was very disappointed, would prefer raichu with actual raichu name, it was named for a reason ;)

Imperator161
January 18th, 2014, 06:27 AM
When playing through the game, I like to nickname all of my Pokémon. I find it gives them more personality and helps me feel more attached to them. Later on, though, when breeding or catching Pokémon for dex completion, I often don't bother to nickname them, as it takes too long. I figure at that point that if I end up with a Pokémon I want to use, I can always go back and nickname it later.

I like receiving nicknamed Pokémon in trades only if they're well-named. In other words, the nickname must fit the Pokémon, must not be rude/insulting (so no swearing, racism, general stupidity, etc.), and must be something I can read (i.e., no Japanese names--I like to be able to pronounce my Pokémon's nicknames).

When trading Pokémon to others, though, I generally don't nickname them because my impression is that most players don't like nicknamed Pokémon. In some ways, I wish we could rename Pokémon received in trades, because I don't really like to use un-nicknamed Pokémon on my teams, but most traded Pokémon I receive either lack nicknames or have nicknames I don't like very much.

Arma
January 26th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I've given every Pokemon I caught or hatchet a name. The ones I'm not planning on training usually get funny names, or get named after celebrities. XD

Though most people wont enjoy them, I think one or two people had to laugh upon getting a Geodude named Will Smith or a Mudkip named Vin Diesel in wonder trades.

Zenfyre
February 7th, 2014, 06:08 PM
I always try to nickname the Pokemon I use. I usually name them after characters, mythological figures, Latin words or foreign names. It adds sentimental value to them and it just doesn't feel right to me if they're not nicknamed. On certain occasions I might change their name to something I feel sounds better (if I am able to).

As for trades, it really depends on the name itself. If I like it enough I'll keep it. If I don't like it I'll just trade it after I have no more need of it. All caps names bother me so I usually end up GTS trading those. Offensive nicknames will be deleted as soon as possible, though I've never got any thankfully.

isthatyoudan
February 7th, 2014, 06:15 PM
I don't care about the nicknames of other people's Pokémon if they aren't stupid or swear words or something like that.

People would probably not like trading with me if they don't like nicknames. Some of my Pokémon have weird stories behind their names, like my Charizard named Galaxian. On the other hand, most of my Pokémon are named the first name I could think of that starts with the first letter of their names, like Peter the Pansage.

Yukiyo Kayume
February 7th, 2014, 11:09 PM
it depends if the name is cute or funny, but I prefer to have Pokemon that I nicknamed myself c:

PumpJack
February 8th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Half of my wondertrades are from Japan, and so I have no idea what the 'mons are called.

I don't really mind nicknames, since more often-than not, I wouldn't be using the 'mons or I'm trading with a friend for evolution.

I nickname all my 'mons pretty much by reflex. I tend to go with something punny or I reach through vast swathes of historical/mythological figures/legends.

Trainer_Deadpool
February 9th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Yesterday I got a Dedenne called "Tomasa" by wonder trade, I loled so much

Absol
February 9th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Probably the funniest nickname I've gotten is off Wonder Trade. I got a Spinda nicknamed HitMehhAgain. Also got an Espurr nicknamed Hello. I've seen in some trades where after we're done trading they'll show a Pokemon nicknamed Thanks!. Clever if you ask me. :P

RingoH
February 10th, 2014, 05:33 AM
Probably the funniest nickname I've gotten is off Wonder Trade. I got a Spinda nicknamed HitMehhAgain. Also got an Espurr nicknamed Hello. I've seen in some trades where after we're done trading they'll show a Pokemon nicknamed Thanks!. Clever if you ask me. :P

I like that. "Thanks!" That would honestly make my day if someone showed me that after trading. I changed my message on my profile to "Thanks for trade" after a really nice trade hoping that they saw that. Someone who traded about five Pokemon with me.

My favorite I recieved was in Wondertrade I got a Gyrados named "Ragin' Abe". I thought that was awsome, and he stayed in my in game party all the way to the Elite Four after that.

Shrew
February 14th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I usually grow attached to pokemon who I give nicknames to... too attached to trade them away. So I don't usually trade them. Recently a friend gave me a pre-nicknamed lv100 trained pokemon with a nickname. I felt as though it had more sentimental value, and I guess that would go for the Charizard in the example. I roll my eyes at whenever I see a nickname on a pokemon without any value ("WGGTTRF" the lv2 Weedle, "Loser" the Magikarp), because it just makes it such that its hard for the future owner to like it.

Pendraflare
February 18th, 2014, 08:07 PM
I like nicknaming most of my Pokémon, so if I get one unexpectedly nicknamed I don't complain too much. But I can live without them.

If i'm receiving a Pokémon with ideal IVs (i.e. 31/31/31/x/31/31 on a physical sweeper), then i'll probably ask them to nickname it just because. I think it feels more special that way and I end up liking it more.

Christopher
February 23rd, 2014, 11:43 PM
I've received both an IV'd Pichu named Pickles and a Skiddo named Mr.Fabulous both of which I kept out of pure respect for the randomness of their names.

In general I like to nickname my pokemon, otherwise it's kind of like naming your dog "dog".

Krystia
February 24th, 2014, 08:45 PM
I've received both an IV'd Pichu named Pickles and a Skiddo named Mr.Fabulous both of which I kept out of pure respect for the randomness of their names.

In general I like to nickname my pokemon, otherwise it's kind of like naming your dog "dog".
Can't stop laughing because my Lucario is named Mr. Fabulous too xDD. My general teams are named based on Greek, Nordic or Celtic gods. Depends how closely they are to them such as my Thurnudurs I named him Zeus, and Jellicent Poseidon ~

Peitharchia
February 25th, 2014, 10:32 PM
I personally don't mind nicknames, so long as they're a bit tolerable. What I consider intolerable? Good example would be a Blaziken being named "aQuA," haha.

thebest
April 24th, 2014, 01:29 AM
If i end up getting a traded Pokemon that has a nicknamed, witch i have lol i kind of trade it away to get one with the original name or i just breed it if it has its HA, so yeah :-)

KatTayle
July 9th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I think they're pretty cool. As long as they aren't weird. I got a Magby off wondertrade called "***duck" (dont know if I can say it here? they replaced an I with 1 to pass the sensor), and the only reason I keep it is for my living dex.

Belldandy
July 9th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I get really stupid ones off of WT, like "Release" and "Your Butt" and "Your Mom" lol

I don't nickname the ones I send over WT since they're breedjects; no point.

I don't mind nicknames, though. I don't use Pokemon straight out of the batch. I always end up breeding it later anyway, so #shrugs

OmriStyle
July 11th, 2014, 03:15 AM
i never nickname any of my pokemons
i dont think i even like nicknames..
every pokemon got its name And it fits him perfectly.

7UP_Kyoudai
July 27th, 2014, 04:02 PM
My nicknamed Pokemon:
A Grotle nicknamed Alexiu from GTS
A Butterfree nicknamed Hi that my best friend caught for me
A female Geodude from Wonder Trade nicknamed Geogirl (Clever)

I, for one, don't like nicknaming Pokemon myself.

Estalyn
July 29th, 2014, 05:07 AM
I would love to nickname ones I've bred and put effort into and have on a few. My Houndoom is named Shady after a dog I used to have but passed away. My Tyrantrum is named Chomper after the dinosaur in Land Before Time when I was growing up.

Ones I get in trades I don't like because they just have no meaning to me and I once got a Shiny Gastly with the worst name imaginable. One I cannot repeat here.

Chalifoux
August 2nd, 2014, 01:48 AM
I tend to get very, very silly with my nicknames, especially so if I'm sending the remnants of a breeding projects thru Wonder Trade. Ever got a Cleffa with Friend Guard nicknamed as "Annihilator"? Yeah that was probably my own doing.

I don't mind nicknames, and do have a certain fixation for them. It makes the Pokemon have that 'unique' additional quirk to them, I guess. Plus, it's always nice to see the cleverness of those who nickname their stuff. I, however, hate it when people nickname their Pokemon with actual names, but that's just me I guess. I'd rather have a hundred "Pekachu" than a single Pikachu with the name "Bruce".

Saronai
November 25th, 2014, 01:43 AM
I have two quotes for this thread:
"Yeah, well, he's gotta have a name, don't he?" -Rubeus Hagrid
"You're gonna be sorry if you don't give it a name." -Walter Chang

In case you hadn't yet guessed, I'm all for decent nicknames, love picking my own, but prefer others' honest attempts at decent nicknames over the species name. Primarily because...seriously *points back up at the quotes above* It feels rude to the poor little pixels otherwise. The default is their species name. "Hey, Human! I'd like to introduce you to my new girlfriend, Human."
"Nice to meet you, Human! Human's talked a lot about you! Even his mother, Human knows how sweet you are!"

Having said that, I have been known to go on name hunts for certain species of pokemon, often learning quite a bit I never would have researched otherwise. One name hunt recently led to a Slavic myth about a woman named Vlasta that was pretty cool.

I often give them geek-inspired names like something based off the latin names in their species, or fandoms of the various games/fiction/movies/etc that I enjoy.

Some are more creative, some not so much. I will admit I've been known to search for about an hour for the perfect name.

Then there are puns that occur to me that I simply can't resist, such as naming my female Skiddo in a luxury ball "Beatrix" (for all you Kill Bill fans out there). There wasn't enough room for Beatrix Skiddo xD

I don't really care if I'm going to breed a better version myself, but if I can't breed it, I really really want to give it a name.

Pretty much my whole point. Just wanted to add, I do appreciate when people get clever with that concept though. I use to have some friends who named their Dog "Deogee" (Dee-oh-gee though that's probably over-explaining something obvious). On that note, I recently nicknamed a water pokemon who refused to yield a good name "Aychtuo" (H2O...again, probably over-explaining).