PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] Overworld Inserting (Remake)

Pinkish Purple
December 18th, 2012, 11:33 PM
OW Inserting tutorial mate! Here's the stuff you need:

1) GIMP
2) NSE CLASSIC
3) Ur Sprite(s) (if you are inserting only one sprite watch my other OW inserting tutorial)
4) ROM
5) IrfanView

1) Get ready your sprites in a row like this:
http://i.imgur.com/ZONbx.png
Make sure the background color isn't the same as any color in the sprite. Save it as a PNG image or a BMP image.

2) Open the image with IrfanView and index it. To do that, click on Image and then Decrease Color Depth. Change the depth to 16 color.
http://i.imgur.com/cQyVY.png

3) Open the image in GIMP. Click on Image, Mode and check, uncheck and check again the box 'Indexed'. A new window will open. Click on 'Web Optimized bla bla bla' click convert and save the image. There is a special way you need to use to save it but I forgot what.
http://i.imgur.com/KcWWQ.png

4) Open up the image with irfanview. Slice out the sprites 1 by 1 while making sure the size of each slice is 16x32 pixels. (Ikr, pain in the butt.) To see whether you have a 16x32 slice, look at the top left where the name of the program is.
http://i.imgur.com/G73Lv.png
paste them in another IrfanView window and save them as a PNG/BMP image.

5) Once you sliced all 12 or so 'positions' open up NSE. Load up your rom and click on File>Import>Import Image. Oh yea, I forgot. Remember to browse to the correct sprite and position first. Once you have done that, open up your 16x32 image. I cannot show you a screenshot because my NSE is being a little sonnamagun. Import all them Sprites and save it. Voila! You did it!

Credits:
774521 - Sprites
ADLFM14 - Abit of reference cuz I cannot remember everything as I am getting old (14 long years alive!).
Bruno Mars - Music Inspiration :P
link12552 - NSE Classic

Got any problem, just PM/VM or comment here.

xWhyNotx
December 20th, 2012, 03:26 AM
I upload my image to NSE perfectly fine but when I click "save" nothing happens! ._.
It hates me.
EDIT: Fixed it. I was opening it in paint to slice it. You can't do that. it changes the pallettes for some reason.

poke529
December 25th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Thank you so much pinkish purple!

Pinkish Purple
December 27th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I upload my image to NSE perfectly fine but when I click "save" nothing happens! ._.
It hates me.
EDIT: Fixed it. I was opening it in paint to slice it. You can't do that. it changes the pallettes for some reason.

Yup, that is what makes OW Spriting so troublesome ^^

Thank you so much pinkish purple!
Anytime, pal :D

xWhyNotx
December 27th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Once your make a 16 x 32 box to slice your image with the OW's on it you can hold the right click and drag the box from frame to frame instead of redrawing it everytime. It's just a pointer to save time that I saw wasn't in the tutorial. c:

JubiPop
January 7th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Thanks now i can finally insert all characters OW's at once :)

hackstar
February 21st, 2013, 02:22 AM
Please when i insert my sprites then all palette become black! HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM...

Pinkish Purple
February 21st, 2013, 11:08 PM
Please when i insert my sprites then all palette become black! HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM...

You're supposed to index them first, and after you have done that, slice the OWs from IrfanView and save them in NSE. Don't close IrfanView!

Kurapika
February 24th, 2013, 09:46 PM
There is a special way you need to use to save it but I forgot what.

Do you mean export by that?

Pinkish Purple
February 25th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Nope, no exporting needed.

TweenyTodd
February 28th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Would this work with Jambo's 649 patch? I see no reason why it wouldn't, unless any of those programs don't work with a patched ROM.

TweenyTodd
posted from DSi

EDIT: Also, if i use a stationary Darkrai I will only need 4 sprites right?

Pinkish Purple
March 1st, 2013, 12:03 AM
Would this work with Jambo's 649 patch? I see no reason why it wouldn't, unless any of those programs don't work with a patched ROM.

TweenyTodd
posted from DSi

EDIT: Also, if i use a stationary Darkrai I will only need 4 sprites right?

Think it works, never tried before. 4 sprites because you want Darkrai to look in all directions, or just straight? if you want it to look in all directions and even walk, 4 sprites are enough because Darkrai basically floats, unless you wanna add the one with the legs.

TweenyTodd
March 1st, 2013, 08:43 AM
Think it works, never tried before. 4 sprites because you want Darkrai to look in all directions, or just straight? if you want it to look in all directions and even walk, 4 sprites are enough because Darkrai basically floats, unless you wanna add the one with the legs.

I want him to look at the player when he is talked to. Thus 4 should work... I hope.

AimayBee
March 1st, 2013, 09:03 AM
Actually, you just need paint and NSE.

Export one sprite, say the male OW, then just place the edited file with the same colour palette into that file, save, import. Tada.

Then just place the second new sprite, save import into the right place, tada.

The third, fourth, get it? Nothing needed except Paint and NSE. You just made a simple process way overcomplicated.

TweenyTodd
March 2nd, 2013, 06:54 AM
I think I did something wrong...
When I imported the first picture of Darkrai, it replaced the picture of the main character standing. It also changed Darkrai's pallet to match the main characters, which messed it all up. How can I insert without it replacing an old sprite?
Sorry for being a newb...
TweenyTodd

AimayBee
March 2nd, 2013, 07:30 AM
When I imported the first picture of Darkrai, it replaced the picture of the main character standing. It also changed Darkrai's pallet to match the main characters, which messed it all up. How can I insert without it replacing an old sprite?
TweenyTodd

No... That's what we do. We replace old sprites with new ones. And you don't always need to change the palette if you can get someone, [like me] to remake them in the older colours.

Then inserting them is a doddle. I like that word, doddle. That's quite doddle, young sir. :D

TweenyTodd
March 2nd, 2013, 08:08 AM
lol Why can't you add completely new sprites? Theres got to be a way.
Thanks for the info, though. I will work on it.
If there is anyone who understands this better than me *cough* everyone *cough* can you please help?
I've been trying to make a ROM hack being all the persons, scripter mapper and spriter. The only thing I'm good at is mapping.

Pinkish Purple
March 4th, 2013, 07:36 AM
TweenyTodd
Hmm... if it turned into red's palette, that means that you have to press the drop-down and select ''All'' which changes all the palettes. Remember to change the frame as you change the direction Darkrai is facing. I think it is not possible to add the OWs into a completely new frame, but I may be wrong because there is a FireRed Hacked Engine which provides space for 60k++ OWs. Oh, and if u dun want to replace the hero's sprite, just move the frame to another ''calife'' npc which is not used too much, for example, that TeachyTV guy.

TweenyTodd
March 4th, 2013, 08:57 AM
AimayBee already did it for me. I messed up far more than just that, apparently. I guess I'm just better at scripting and mapping than scripting. This tut did help a lot with understanding tho. Thnx =)

TweenyTodd

hackstar
March 4th, 2013, 09:58 PM
I am having trouble...that when i resize my hero sprites to 32x32 and insert the new sprites in the hero sprites,then the sprites became messed up!!!!

Pinkish Purple
March 6th, 2013, 01:31 AM
I am having trouble...that when i resize my hero sprites to 32x32 and insert the new sprites in the hero sprites,then the sprites became messed up!!!!

The sprite's size is supposed to be 16x32 lol but there is an option on NSE to insert custom sized OWs. Idk how to do it thou...

hackstar
March 6th, 2013, 10:10 PM
no...I resize the ow by ''overworld changer'' tool.if you dont know about that tool,then i will send a link...

Pinkish Purple
March 11th, 2013, 05:31 AM
no...I resize the ow by ''overworld changer'' tool.if you dont know about that tool,then i will send a link...
Sure :) I'll go search up how to insert bigger tiles so it won't be that hard for you :)

AimayBee
March 11th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Or just use the preference option in NSE to change the size. Easy.

Pinkish Purple
March 13th, 2013, 12:47 AM

I found a way :D Open NSE goto>Edit>preferences>Width/Height to the desired number(16/32/64)>near save press the arrow at Index and make it All, after this press save and your done.

AimayBee
March 13th, 2013, 03:52 AM
I found a way :D Open NSE goto>Edit>preferences>Width/Height to the desired number(16/32/64)>near save press the arrow at Index and make it All, after this press save and your done.

That's what I said. You can also use the options part then plugins to edit everything other than OWs.

hackstar
March 24th, 2013, 09:12 AM
then this way really works...then no need to follow that big tutorial of karatekid..

okay anything bug or glitch founded,by using this method.

PiplupGHacker
April 11th, 2013, 04:32 PM
I'm sure this has been answered a billion times before, but..

http://i.imgur.com/KH1z6Td.png

Y U DO DIS GAEM? Shows up fine in Overworld Editor, but not in the game ._.
Thanks for the tutorial though, Irfanview is plenty useful for sprite editing/cropping/etc.

Pinkish Purple
April 11th, 2013, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the tutorial though, Irfanview is plenty useful for sprite editing/cropping/etc.

I gotta say, that's a pretty nice OW u got there ^^ Well, It's probably a problem with the Palettes. Palettes ALWAYS have problems. If it isn't, there are a bunch more possibilities. Let me walk you through a few. First, try and see if you've done this:

http://i.imgur.com/5DCE0KB.png

If you have, It may be a problem with IrfanView. Save that OW as 0_0 or something, and open it with irfanview. (You should also include all the other OWs inside too, so it won't be so troublesome) Press Image>Palette>Edit Palette. Change the FIRST colour with the BACKGROUND colour. Now, save it as something else, and open that new img with Paint, and 0_0 on the other side. At 0_0, press "Select All" and copy the OWs and paste them on your new Paint. Save the new paint, and you can also delete 0_0 now. Open NSE (Wouldn't recommend you to use OWE) and import everything.

The third problem may come from, as I have previously stated, OWE. OWE is really buggy and it's abilities are VERY limited. Try to use NSE instead.

PiplupGHacker
April 12th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Eh, I think the design of the character (black outline) is causing a problem. Honestly, I had taken those from the public section of Whack a Hack. I think I'm gonna try it with other sprites (I did try all you suggested, though) but if I can't get that to work I'll be fine with the original OWs for now.

Pinkish Purple
April 13th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Eh, I think the design of the character (black outline) is causing a problem. Honestly, I had taken those from the public section of Whack a Hack. I think I'm gonna try it with other sprites (I did try all you suggested, though) but if I can't get that to work I'll be fine with the original OWs for now.

Okay :) Just drop me a VM or post here anytime you need help. ^^

Quickster
April 16th, 2013, 09:46 AM

I dont know if this is relevant to you or not anymore, but it was the fact that you had black as the first palette. The first one on an overworld is the background color, which will always be transparent. In the program NSE you should be able to easily switch those around.

Shadowraze
April 16th, 2013, 08:41 PM

That is because you haven't indexed it properly. The old copy paste thingy in paint still works in Windows 7 & 8 if you download Paint XP.

Pinkish Purple
April 18th, 2013, 03:26 AM
That is because you haven't indexed it properly. The old copy paste thingy in paint still works in Windows 7 & 8 if you download Paint XP.

I dont know if this is relevant to you or not anymore, but it was the fact that you had black as the first palette. The first one on an overworld is the background color, which will always be transparent. In the program NSE you should be able to easily switch those around.

Yup, like both of them said, the problem must have came from IrfanView's palette changing.

Aryan143
April 20th, 2013, 08:00 PM
I tried to insert new OWs in my hack by this method and they seems to work fine. But problem is that after insert new OWs it screws up the palette of other OWs. Please help me.

Shadowraze
April 20th, 2013, 10:38 PM
I tried to insert new OWs in my hack by this method and they seems to work fine. But problem is that after insert new OWs it screws up the palette of other OWs. Please help me.

Of course they will be since different OW's use the same Pallete.

In order for you to have a seperate pallete from the others use this tutorial by Quickster. http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=275160

Aryan143
April 21st, 2013, 12:37 AM
Thanks for giving me the link to that tutorial. Now I can add OWs without any problem.

Eren Jaeger
April 23rd, 2013, 04:34 AM
It makes the sprite poop at paint -__- anyways, thanks this helped a lot to my hack ;)

Brendon McCullum
March 28th, 2014, 06:06 PM
I have a trouble when i try to import the OW, it says, index is out of the bound of array and The Sprites box becomes black! help me some one!

VV
March 30th, 2014, 08:35 AM
I have a trouble when i try to import the OW, it says, index is out of the bound of array and The Sprites box becomes black! help me some one!

Can you like show pictures? Obviously, you did something wrong. Follow the steps correctly and make sure you have a backup.