View Full Version : Video Games DCC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Mr. Avocado
January 1st, 2013, 03:28 PM
Video Games DCC

The Daily Chit-Chat is here for Video Games! Don't be afraid to
join the chat at any point as long as you stick to these guidelines:

• Posts must always be related to gaming
• Always stick to the current topic within the chat. However, you can start a new topic as long as it branches off the current one.
• Don't ask what the topic is or things you need help with, you always have the Quick Question Thread (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=252248) for assistance.
• Don't spam, troll, or flame. Try to keep a level-head in the chat and be respectful to members at all times.

Team Fail
January 1st, 2013, 04:40 PM
ermahgerd I've wanted one of these for ages. I played Final Fantasy 3 last night for the last time since I returned it to the original owner today, so I uploaded the gameplay to YouTube after recording it with a capture card. Apparently there's a content match on the video to something copyright, so nobody can view it ;___;

abnegation
January 1st, 2013, 04:51 PM
Well that sucks, there should never be copyright on LP's wth. I've been playing Far Cry 3 like a mad man (heh) lately. Absolutely love it, asdf.

Team Fail
January 1st, 2013, 05:26 PM
Well that sucks, there should never be copyright on LP's wth. I've been playing Far Cry 3 like a mad man (heh) lately. Absolutely love it, asdf.

Yeah, I wasn't too happy.

http://i.imgur.com/TGKcJ.png

Which is this video:

70B1beoX3bM

I've heard of Far Cry but I probably wouldn't be able to play it. Old fashioned-parent and new games just don't mix.

Mr. Avocado
January 2nd, 2013, 12:28 AM
I haven't actually played any Final Fantasy's for some reason, so I should really get to it...I've heard a lot of good things about the games so wouldn't hurt to give them a try.

As for Far Cry, omg yes! I love that game sooo much and, like Gav, have been playing it like crazy. Vaas is the most amazing character out there! Gav how far have you got in the story?

curiousnathan
January 2nd, 2013, 01:05 AM
Ooh, I didn't really notice there wasn't a DCC for VG. Anyway, I'm currently playing a new save of Black 2, as well as trying to level up fast in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. And I soooo want to get Far Cry 3, it looks amazing. (Might get it in the next week or two).

Mr. Avocado
January 2nd, 2013, 01:28 AM
I have mentioned Far Cry 3 in a lot of recent VG posts, but the game really is that good, don't hesitate to buy it :P I have recommended it to a lot of people and they say it was really a great game. :3

Call of Duty leveling is different every time. I hate that they change how many prestiges there and how they change the levels to reach each prestige. I just think they should stick to 10 prestiges, and level 80 to get there in every game. I understand they introduce new secondaries, equipment, killstreaks and whatnot which make it easier to level up; but they should lower the amount of XP you earn from them.

Spinosaurus
January 2nd, 2013, 01:33 AM
Oh, a chat thread huh?
ermahgerd I've wanted one of these for ages. I played Final Fantasy 3 last night for the last time since I returned it to the original owner today, so I uploaded the gameplay to YouTube after recording it with a capture card. Apparently there's a content match on the video to something copyright, so nobody can view it ;___;
Oh man been a while since I first tried FF3. It was the DS version, and let me tell you this...

I hated it. But to be fair I used cheats just to breeze through without trouble because I didn't want to grind, so maybe that's why. That, or the DS remake is flat out bad. I played IV before it on DS (which I heard was the best. and no I didn't use cheats on this one.) as well, loved it but couldn't beat the final boss, then tried again on December 2009 (I remember clearly) with a guide this time so I don't miss augments which made everything waaay easier.

That's basically all my experience with anything Final Fantasy. I did play that Chocobo game but I forgot everything about it.

While on topic about Far Cry 3...my uncle had it on PS3 so he let me play a bit, because I was actually considering buying it at the start of the month, but opted for Paper Mario instead. Frankly, I was glad with that decision. I'm not a fan of first person shooters anymore, and I hate open world games. (inFamous 2 is the only recent open world game that I enjoyed, but I didn't really bother to explore with except for grinding experience.)
I was not a fan of the controls as well. Blame Halo for this, but I felt like I was controlling a tank. If I buy this game though, I'll make sure to buy it on PC or 360, because the PS3 controller is awful for FPS imo. At least, compared to the 360 controller.

In other news, been playing Elite Beat Agents. Damn, what a game. Might beat Rhythm Heaven and/or Mario Kart DS as my favorite DS game. I think the DS is the best system of all time imo, and I can't believe I missed tons of amazing games on it just for Pokemon and Mario. I'm only halfway through Hotel Dusk and still got DK: Jungle Climber to play.

Oh yeah, if you have a 3DS, buy Donkey Kong 94 on Virtual Console. Can't say it has the Wario Land games beat (you should buy them too), but I'm probably biased. It's the original Donkey Kong game perfected. Can't wait for Super Mario Bros 3 to release outside of Japan. Been on a virtual console/PS1 classics mood lately. (I started with the PS1 so I'm catching up to games I never played.)

Frostweaver
January 2nd, 2013, 01:49 AM
The FF DS are... they're not just ports but remakes with things tacked on it all the time. FF4 is a lot harder and much different with the augment system than the original... and the normal monsters can be pretty troll-ish. FF3 I heard that because the DS couldn't handle the number of enemies on a screen at once, they kinda buffed up the numbers on the monsters so that maybe the cause of a lot of grind? Really in general, early FFs don't really age that well haha. It's only FF4 and on when there's more serious attempts at a sensible plot that FF made its name.

Team Fail
January 2nd, 2013, 07:56 AM
Yeah. I have 3 on the DS too, it's not too bad tbh, but remember that 3 on the DS and 3 on the Super NES are different.

But if memory serves, Final Fantasy III DS was the first time the game was released here. Or was it on the PS1/Wonderswan? I don't think it saw a 8-bit release or a 16-bit release here.

Pinkie-Dawn
January 2nd, 2013, 08:06 AM
I've never played a Final Fantasy game in my life, because I was intimidated by commanding 4 players and complex moves the characters learn. Then there's those final bosses that last for more than 15 minutes.

Gideon Jeremiah
January 2nd, 2013, 08:19 AM
Oh how I adore Final Fantasy, though strategy games have always been enjoyable.

Starting up an Earth-sized match of Civilization V - Gods & Kings edition, & trying to achieve as many consecutive Golden Ages as possible, or trying to win without ever engaging a Barbarian tribe (aside from those that attack your city/(es) ).
It's such a fantastic feeling.

Denny Hamlin
January 2nd, 2013, 10:07 AM
Never played Final Fantasy myself. I always wanted to play it, but I always felt intimidated by the SO MANY games they have, and I'd feel I have to start from FFI so I can get to the latest released game. :(

It's such an amazing game, don't get me wrong. But ahhh le timing and stuff.

Speaking of games in general, I really should get my gaming fix this year. Getting my xbox back from my brother-in-law and getting some games really soon. :D

Team Fail
January 2nd, 2013, 10:20 AM
Never played Final Fantasy myself. I always wanted to play it, but I always felt intimidated by the SO MANY games they have, and I'd feel I have to start from FFI so I can get to the latest released game. :(

It's such an amazing game, don't get me wrong. But ahhh le timing and stuff.

Speaking of games in general, I really should get my gaming fix this year. Getting my xbox back from my brother-in-law and getting some games really soon. :D

You wouldn't have to start from the very first game, I started halfway into the series (6) and I wasn't lost. That's mostly because most of the games don't relate to the previous versions. That way, people can just dive right into the game. The only thing that really changes is the battle systems.

I need to get my Xbox fixed :c

Alinthea
January 2nd, 2013, 10:27 AM
My PS3 is back in my flat, so I haven't been able to play any new games recently, but I will when I get back.

Regarding Final Fantasy, I have played a lot of the games, but haven't touched any after FFXIII because it was so boring, for me. Any game that makes me do really linear objectives for hours on end, doesn't agree with me.

Pinkie-Dawn
January 2nd, 2013, 10:41 AM
Regarding Final Fantasy, I have played a lot of the games, but haven't touched any after FFXIII because it was so boring, for me. Any game that makes me do really linear objectives for hours on end, doesn't agree with me.

Wasn't it why Square Enix are constantly making sequels of FFXIII? To give what the fans want to make up for the first game?

Alinthea
January 2nd, 2013, 03:41 PM
Wasn't it why Square Enix are constantly making sequels of FFXIII? To give what the fans want to make up for the first game?

Yeh, maybe so. The damage was done with that game though, so I just went back to playing the old faithful at times. I know that is a very dismissive attitude to have, but I think that FF is a dying franchise and should really be put to bed.

I know they could make some epic RPGs under a different franchise, but the name Final Fantasy is just an easy money spin. :(

Oryx
January 2nd, 2013, 04:12 PM
Well FFX is amazing, but they still gave it a sequel hahah.

Can Square Enix just go back and make more TWEWY stuff? :(

Mr. Avocado
January 3rd, 2013, 01:09 AM
I shouldn't really be one to judge Final Fantasy since I haven't played it, but from what I've seen it looks like Guild Wars 2 x Skyrim. The spells, the weapons, the Dragons, the movement. On their own though, Guild Wars 2 and Skyrim are quite alike gameplay-wise, the only real difference is that the combat is fought differently and the map, of course.

Speaking of which, I always wondered what it would be like seeing a multiplayer arena in Skyrim. We only ever battle in singleplayer and it would be nice to see some multiplayer action going on, that would make all Elder Scrolls fans happy.

Oryx
January 3rd, 2013, 04:39 AM
Final Fantasy is usually turn-based though. Idk about the newer ones (last one I played was X-2), but the combat system in the older ones I kind of see as the defining factor of FF. So quintessentially FF:

http://www.consolexp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/FFIV_Fight.jpg

Mr. Avocado
January 3rd, 2013, 04:43 AM
Ahh, I hadn't actually seen it like that before, I guess it would be better how I firstly imagined FF to be, with open combat. I mean, I find that a lot more convenient and less stressful than turn-based games.

Oryx
January 3rd, 2013, 04:54 AM
More like a Kingdom Hearts style of combat? If they were going for real that's probably how it would end up. That was pretty fun though imo.

Mr. Avocado
January 3rd, 2013, 04:59 AM
Oh ya, Kingdom Hearts is a great game, hours of fun. I really enjoyed playing that, don't regret wasting hours of life playing that game at all. :3

Pinkie-Dawn
January 3rd, 2013, 08:06 AM
I sincerely hope the upcoming Kingdom Hearts 3 goes multiplatform with the Wii U, because I do not own a PS3.

Mr. Avocado
January 3rd, 2013, 08:24 AM
Hmm, yes. I would really like some precise combat on a motion-sensor console. I think Kingdom Hearts would be somewhere good to start, considering there are quite a lot of games involving combat, and I think that it wouldn't be the most complicated using this game as a starting point. I know there are a few motion-sensor games with combat, but no precise, as in the in-game combat doesn't entirely replicate that of what you are actually doing.

Khrysta
January 3rd, 2013, 09:24 AM
I sincerely hope the upcoming Kingdom Hearts 3 goes multiplatform with the Wii U, because I do not own a PS3.

It would depend on Square Enix, but their contract with Sony is usually what forces the bigger titles to come out for their system. Dream Drop Distance, Birth by Sleep, Chain of memories, and 358/2 are all considered spin off titles in the KH universe so they were produced between two different companies. Nintendo would have to make a deal with Sony and Square Enix to multiplatform KH3 which I don't think they'd do only because Sony would up the ante to keep it on the PS3.

Alinthea
January 3rd, 2013, 10:04 AM
I would guess it would come out on on the other consoles and not just the PS3, as it doesn't seem to be a gaming exclusive for Sony.

Pinkie-Dawn
January 3rd, 2013, 11:10 AM
And with the Wii U's specs being on par with the 360 and PS3, there's also a possiility for Square Enix to bring a main Final Fantasy game, to go along with KH3, back to a Nintendo console since the SNES days.

Spinosaurus
January 4th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Harder? Thought it was the easiest game of all time. Literally breezed through the whole game just with a mediocre Pokemon. (Basculin.) I used Krookodile a bit and it wasn't till the end where I got my main team. Oh yeah, no grinding too.

Man B/W was an awful game to me. It really was the end of Pokemon for me. I could list all the problems I had with the game but eh, I won't bother.

Also, shouldn't any Pokemon related discussion be in their respective threads?

Mr. Avocado
January 4th, 2013, 07:29 AM
And with the Wii U's specs being on par with the 360 and PS3, there's also a possiility for Square Enix to bring a main Final Fantasy game, to go along with KH3, back to a Nintendo console since the SNES days.I think there is a chance that will happen, since the Wii U is a new console, new games need to be released and Square Enix have a good chance to bring back Final Fantasy if they so desire. I would like to see Kingdom Hearts on the Wii, but with precise motion-sensor combat, otherwise I guess the battling would be kinda boring if it is just you swinging your controller dully and then it pulls of a special combo move or something.

Spinosaurus
January 4th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Wii U is a motion sensor console?

Let's leave motion controls out of RPGs, please.

Mr. Avocado
January 4th, 2013, 08:50 AM
I meant Wii, not the U, for Kingdom Hearts, even though it's too late now.

Also, for the motion-sensor, I guess it's just your opinion to say we should keep it out of RPGs, but I think I would find them more enjoyable; more into the action.

Pinkie-Dawn
January 4th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Plus doesn't Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower use motion-sensor despite being RPGs?

Spinosaurus
January 4th, 2013, 09:33 AM
As far as I know, you can use the Wii remote for them, but there's no motion controls. Even Xenoblade, a Nintendo published game (the same Nintendo that forced Retro to use waggle in DK Country Returns), was bundled with a classic controller pro.

Oryx
January 4th, 2013, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't want motion controls. I mean, I am not an athletic person. I don't want to have to jump around in my room just to play a video game.

Mr. Avocado
January 4th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Well, I am still very young so doing that kind of stuff pleases me. I guess it would be good if Nintendo's next Wii product allowed the user to opt how they would like to play the game, as in; the Wii would come with a motion-sensor controller as well as a regular controller and all games made for that console would be playable on both controllers. I think that would take a long time to work on, though, so it probably wouldn't really get implemented unless Nintendo see that as the right thing to do sometime.

RPGs probably will just stick to controller-based consoles since they involve a lot of moving and many people wouldn't want to bother. Even though some would find it enjoyable, some isn't a enough to sell millions, unfortunately.

In general, however, I would like to see more precise motion-sensor games, would make it a lot more fun and challenging.

Pinkie-Dawn
January 4th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Older gamers are too use to the old ways of video games and despise motion controls, giving them the reputation of being unfit.

Oryx
January 4th, 2013, 04:43 PM
I don't really think it's youth and age; it's just interest levels. It's not that uncommon to meet a gamer that's also athletic, I know quite a few myself. I am just not. I'm not now and I wasn't at 15. So running around to imitate the person I was playing never was appealing. :(

Gideon Jeremiah
January 4th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I suppose that idea of "older gamers being unfit", is grounded in a valid notion.

I myself know that I am not so much "unfit", as horribly underweight from illness.
So I am in no place to argue the negative xD .

In regards to precise-motion gaming, it would certainly be enjoyable.
However... the games need to be vastly more immersive, to warrant purchasing extra motion-sensitive equipment (speaking of the PS3 & Xbox 360).
In terms of Nintendo; they're doing things rather well for now (in my opinion that is.)

Mr. Avocado
January 5th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Well, there would be a lot of technology needed for precise motion-sensor gaming so I don't think we will see much of that too soon.

I don't think age would come into playing a game actively unless there was a big difference; I'm 15 now, and I love being able to move freely and play games in that sense, but at 80 or something I would just want to play games statically. I mean, my Grandma still plays games such as Wii Fit for hours and she isn't athletic. But it's always gonna be different for everyone, not all people will like the same thing.

Spinosaurus
January 5th, 2013, 01:35 AM
I wouldn't want motion controls. I mean, I am not an athletic person. I don't want to have to jump around in my room just to play a video game.

Older gamers are too use to the old ways of video games and despise motion controls, giving them the reputation of being unfit.
I'm a boxer. I love boxing. I shadow box everyday and when I have the chance I exercise as well. And I still hate motion controls for the most part.

But it really depends on the game. Like I said, I'm a boxer, so when I bought Punch Out for the Wii I was so excited to try out my combinations and see if they work. (Probably not because Lil Mac is SO SLOW) Right when I started the game I tried to do a left jab and stupid Mac did a left body blow. Every time the guy kept doing a body blow. I checked the controls and apparently I had to press up on the d-pad to do a proper jab? No, screw that, not my problem Lil Mac is so little. After that I still kept on using Wiimote + Nunchucks because I thought it'd be good exercise stretching my arm but because the controls are so unresponsive and Mac is so slow I had to waggle. After losing so many times in the World Circuit against Soda Popinski I gave up and switched to Wiimote so I can play Punch Out with its classic controls and won on my first try. (And then proceeded to lose against Bald Bull shortly afterwards.)

But I love Skywards Sword. If anything it's the only thing I even liked about that game halfway through. A lot of people blame the motion controls for why they hate Skyward Sword, but really it's the weird design decision throughout the whole game. I stopped midway through the game because of the horrible padding but whenever I think about the game I keep wanting to slice some monsters.

It doesn't have to do with anything about being fit or lazy. It's how the game uses the motion controls.

On topic, I actually tried kinect sport boxing in a local store and good god it sucks. Not only can't the Kinect sensor keep up with my fast combination, but I can't even dodge. I don't even know how to deal damage either, because a proper right straight did as much as a left jab. :/

Oryx
January 5th, 2013, 07:27 AM
I've played games with good motion controls and still didn't like them. So it's not the game. Maybe just personal opinion then.

Pinkie-Dawn
January 5th, 2013, 07:44 AM
But it really depends on the game. Like I said, I'm a boxer, so when I bought Punch Out for the Wii I was so excited to try out my combinations and see if they work. (Probably not because Lil Mac is SO SLOW) Right when I started the game I tried to do a left jab and stupid Mac did a left body blow. Every time the guy kept doing a body blow. I checked the controls and apparently I had to press up on the d-pad to do a proper jab? No, screw that, not my problem Lil Mac is so little. After that I still kept on using Wiimote + Nunchucks because I thought it'd be good exercise stretching my arm but because the controls are so unresponsive and Mac is so slow I had to waggle. After losing so many times in the World Circuit against Soda Popinski I gave up and switched to Wiimote so I can play Punch Out with its classic controls and won on my first try. (And then proceeded to lose against Bald Bull shortly afterwards.)

Funny you should say that, because I know some users who played Punch Out!! without a problem using motion controls. It entirely depends on where you placed your sensors.

But I love Skywards Sword. If anything it's the only thing I even liked about that game halfway through. A lot of people blame the motion controls for why they hate Skyward Sword, but really it's the weird design decision throughout the whole game. I stopped midway through the game because of the horrible padding but whenever I think about the game I keep wanting to slice some monsters.

Yet Skyward Sword won many awards and was regarded as one of the greatest games of all time, according to a mod from BMGF.

On topic, I actually tried kinect sport boxing in a local store and good god it sucks. Not only can't the Kinect sensor keep up with my fast combination, but I can't even dodge. I don't even know how to deal damage either, because a proper right straight did as much as a left jab. :/

Kinect, along with Playstation Move, always have inferior motion controls compared to the Wii. Seriously, I've seen a few let's plays using Kinect and Playstation Move, and the players themselves are having serious trouble on those games.

Gideon Jeremiah
January 5th, 2013, 07:49 AM
To make a minor deviation from the current discussion;

I genuinely hope that the Wii U eventually has an incredibly robust RPG library (classicals mind you [i.e. KoH, FF, DQ/W, Xeno-series, Chrono-series & Mana/Seiken Desnsetsu series.)

It has the makings of a platform which would allow wondrous micro-management of individual traits, abilities, turn-based combat & equipment selection.

Spinosaurus
January 5th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Funny you should say that, because I know some users who played Punch Out!! without a problem using motion controls. It entirely depends on where you placed your sensors.

...But you don't need the sensor for Punch Out in a match. Good for them for liking it and waggles though, but it doesn't come close to an actual boxing experience which is what I wanted.

Yet Skyward Sword won many awards and was regarded as one of the greatest games of all time, according to a mod from BMGF.
So what? From the same year, Skyrim won many if not more awards too, are you saying it doesn't have problems? (Many technical problems and several design problems.) Skyward Sword is not even close to being the best Zelda game, not with that much padding and backtracking. (I stopped midway true, but I heard from a lot of people that it gets MUCH worse later on, too.)

There are many examples of games with a lot of problems winning game of the year. Metal Gear Solid 2 is one, and while I like it (plan to replay it, too) there are far too many flaws for it to even be nominated imo.

Pinkie-Dawn
January 5th, 2013, 08:08 AM
...But you don't need the sensor for Punch Out in a match. Good for them for liking it and waggles though, but it doesn't come close to an actual boxing experience which is what I wanted.

Then that's your problem. Besides, Punch Out!! is actually suppose to be a puzzle game rather than a sports game.

So what? From the same year, Skyrim won many if not more awards too, are you saying it doesn't have problems? (Many technical problems and several design problems.) Skyward Sword is not even close to being the best Zelda game, not with that much padding and backtracking. (I stopped midway true, but I heard from a lot of people that it gets MUCH worse later on, too.)

Skyrim had its problems too such as some bugs I've heard from My Nintendo News. Isn't backtracking a good thing? It's what made the Metroid games and previous gen Pokemon games good for you. The game's director stated that he will not leave the team until he has created a Zelda game that surpasses OoT, but no thanks to its unpleasable fanbase, he'll never achieve his goal.

Spinosaurus
January 5th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Then that's your problem. Besides, Punch Out!! is actually suppose to be a puzzle game rather than a sports game.

Wrong. Despite all the BS it has, a lot of Boxing elements are present in the game. Yeah, footwork which is the biggest thing in boxing isn't possible, but the whole defensive play is much like boxing. Knowing how to dodge moves, having good reactions and reflexes, finding openings to attack and finding ways to counter your opponent is how it is in boxing. There's nothing to deduce for it to be a puzzle, just know the pattern/rhythm of your opponent.

Skyrim had its problems too such as some bugs I've heard from My Nintendo News. Isn't backtracking a good thing? It's what made the Metroid games and previous gen Pokemon games good for you. The game's director stated that he will not leave the team until he has created a Zelda game that surpasses OoT, but no thanks to its unpleasable fanbase, he'll never achieve his goal.
It's a good thing if it was incorporated well. Skyward Swords didn't, because going to the same place all again for something so trivial as to find, say, a windmill is so tedious and not my idea of good game design.

I've never played Ocarina of time. (Probably gonna correct this soon, as my brother plans to buy it on the 3DS.) As a matter of fact I don't really like Zelda much at all, but Skyward Sword is my least favorite. I do like Metroid though.

Oryx
January 5th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Aw Ocarina of Time is amazing you haven't played it yet? :( It took me like a decade to beat it though, I had it on N64 and on Gamecube and finally beat it on 3DS. Gogogo play it!

I never played Majora's Mask though, one that i really want to play.

Mr. Avocado
January 5th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I used to be a big fan of the Zelda games, had them both on DS and on Wii. I particularly remember Ocarina of Time on the DS. I was around 10-13 when I played the games, though, so I wasn't the brightest and didn't really know how to do all the complicated stuff. I think I might go and give Ocarina of Time another try considering I don't even remember what happened and I didn't understand it. x_x

Oryx
January 5th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Wait there was...an OoT for the DS before the one for the 3DS? Or is that the one you're talking about?

Mr. Avocado
January 5th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Ah, it turns out it was Phantom Hourglass and not OoT, I think I played it on Nintendo 64, however, OoT.

Looking at the Zelda games now, they really do age back. I don't know why, but I was never too keen on Zelda games as a child, maybe because as I stated in my last post, that I didn't really understand it.

Spinosaurus
January 5th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Phantom Hourglass is really the only one I bothered to finish. My big gripe with Zelda is from the ones I play the exploration is boring and the padding and backtracking get so tedious for me. Of course I only played a few, and all of them are the 3D games. I got Minish Cap and the original on my 3DS, so I should give the 2D games a go. After Ocarina of Time, that is.

Also, playing that Pooh flash game and talking about Punch Out made me think about the hardest games I ever played. It's probably Punch Out (the original, not the Wii one), but I'm also curious about everyone else here.

Actually, while also speaking about sports game, is there a particular yearly sports series anyone plays here? I used to play Fifa back in the PS2 days, but now I'm into Baseball and hope MLB: The Show 2013 is gonna fill me for a realistic sports game.

Squirrel
January 5th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I absolutely love LoZ, although that's quite a recent love. The franchise used to mean nothing at all to me other than a weird elf thing wearing a silly green hat going to save a princess, but after actually trying out a couple LoZ games I realised that my previous views were complete rubbish. It's such an intricately thought out series with so much to do in every game and great new ways to do them each time whilst the manage to keep up with the common themes that we grow know and love. I didn't think that a series set in the same basic land every time could ever be as interesting or in depth as other games of its genre but after trialling a few of the games to the point where I couldn't put them down, I can safely say I was wrong. It's a shame I rather suck at them!

Mr. Avocado
January 5th, 2013, 03:26 PM
I'm gonna go back and give some of the Zelda games a try, Nintendo Power's all-time top 2 games were: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past, so really, how bad could they be?

Pinkie-Dawn
January 5th, 2013, 03:51 PM
The only Zelda games I've played were the original NES game (which I haven't beaten yet), OoT, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword. I really want to play ALttP, but I'm not sure about Majora's Mask due to the three-day time limit (it takes me hours to complete a dungeon).

Team Fail
January 5th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I've played and beaten Ocarina of Time 3D, and I'm playing Four Swords Anniversarry Edition on my 3DS. I've played part of the original LoZ, and I've tried playing Legend of Zelda 2, but that game is simply impossible. I've also played a bit into Wind Waker and a small amount into Skyward Sword. Oh and I'm playing Minish Cap on my 3DS too, but I lost my SD card so I have to restart, although I wasn't too far into the game in the first place.

Squirrel
January 5th, 2013, 05:23 PM
I've also played... a small amount into Skyward Sword.

Just out of interest, why'd you only get a small amount into it? Personally I never got on with that game, the controls were hard to get used to and I really didn't like the graphics. The story up to where I reached was okay, nothing extraordinary, but the gameplay itself seemed pretty cool so I'm just wondering what held you back from wanting to complete it? Everyone else I've spoken to seems to think that Skyward Sword is an amazing revolutionary game for the series so I'm just curious what you think.

http://pldh.net/media/pokemon/gen5/blackwhite_animated_front/175.gif

Alinthea
January 6th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Just out of interest, why'd you only get a small amount into it? Personally I never got on with that game, the controls were hard to get used to and I really didn't like the graphics. The story up to where I reached was okay, nothing extraordinary, but the gameplay itself seemed pretty cool so I'm just wondering what held you back from wanting to complete it? Everyone else I've spoken to seems to think that Skyward Sword is an amazing revolutionary game for the series so I'm just curious what you think.

I agree with you. I just couldn't get into the game at all, but this was when I was around a friends and wasn't giving it my full attention. Haha. From what I played, I think there are better LoZ games.

Kura
January 6th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I haven't played skyward sword but for some reason the handheld zelda games I can get really into more than the console ones. Dunno why. Link's Awakening I racked up HOURS on.. and I've played Oracle of Ages a ton, too. Thought they were really fun :3

Yay for open world games <3

Oryx
January 6th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I got some of the older LoZ games on my phone and actually fell in love with Minish Cap. I was surprised because I've tried the original multiple times and I'm just miserably bad at it. Games with real-time combat is just impossible for me. :( /bad gamer

Pinkie-Dawn
January 6th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Skyward Sword is perhaps more controversial than Wind Waker because of the graphics and the fact that they retired the OoT-style gameplay and used a new gameplay style instead. Just wait until the next Zelda game is announced, and the fans will bash it and praise Skyward Sword.

Spinosaurus
January 6th, 2013, 01:16 PM
I got some of the older LoZ games on my phone and actually fell in love with Minish Cap. I was surprised because I've tried the original multiple times and I'm just miserably bad at it. Games with real-time combat is just impossible for me. :( /bad gamer
Wanna try a game with turned based combat that is really hard then?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/Shin_Megami_Tensei_III_Nocturne.jpg

Skyward Sword is perhaps more controversial than Wind Waker because of the graphics and the fact that they retired the OoT-style gameplay and used a new gameplay style instead. Just wait until the next Zelda game is announced, and the fans will bash it and praise Skyward Sword.Why are you so partial against "hardcore gamers"? I'm not a Zelda craze and I think the complaints it gets are justified, save for maybe the controls. Not to mention the fans that will praise it are different from ones that hate it, much like Wind Waker fans.

Oryx
January 6th, 2013, 01:23 PM
I like Persona! I heard the other Shin Megami games were impossible though. I tried to play the one that was remade on the 3DS I forget the name but my boyfriend accidentally deleted my save so I lost motivation :(

The MMO was fun too!

Pinkie-Dawn
January 6th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Why are you so partial against "hardcore gamers"? I'm not a Zelda craze and I think the complaints it gets are justified, save for maybe the controls. Not to mention the fans that will praise it are different from ones that hate it, much like Wind Waker fans.

Because fans like those could potentially force the developers to give up for giving them too much pressure to create a Zelda game that's the same rank as Ocarina of Time. If you're talking about the reviews that gave the lowest scores to Skyward Sword for those complaints, it was confirmed that they were playing the game wrong.

Alinthea
January 6th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Wait there was...an OoT for the DS before the one for the 3DS? Or is that the one you're talking about?

Think he is talking about the OoT 3DS remaster, as OoT has never been remastered/remade officially, from what I remember.

Oryx
January 6th, 2013, 01:37 PM
He clarified earlier that it was Phantom Hourglass. :3 Which I've never played hahah.

Mr. Avocado
January 6th, 2013, 01:37 PM
accidentally deleted my save so I lost motivation :(
Yes, that is pretty much the case with me all the time. Whenever I accidentally delete a save file of a game, I'm just like -_- and lose all hope in the world and just move on to something else. This especially happens with Pokemon, if I don't save the game and my DS turns off or I delete my save file, I always just turn the power off...and play some Far Cry 2/3 baby!

Oryx
January 6th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Yeah it wasn't even that much game! Like 15 hours or something like that. I just didn't want to start ALL over especially since that game has so much plot, lmao.

Devil Survivor Overclocked! That was its name!

Spinosaurus
January 6th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I like Persona! I heard the other Shin Megami games were impossible though. I tried to play the one that was remade on the 3DS I forget the name but my boyfriend accidentally deleted my save so I lost motivation :(

The MMO was fun too!
Haha, Persona is pretty easy though. But since you played a SMT game you should know how things work. I beat Persona 4 twice and thought Nocturne on normal was a breeze after the first few bosses. Screw Labyrinth of Amala though! If you want to keep your sanity don't go there, since it's optional, and the ending isn't worth fighting the three hardest bosses in the game. (I gave up after beating Beelzebub.) I think the game is superior to Persona in nearly every way except story and characters. Persona 3 has the best cast in a JRPG imo.

Most people who thought the game was impossible were first timers to the series.

Also the game you played, Devil Summoner: Overclocked, is an SRPG very different from the usual SMT games. Give Nocturne a try, it's really cheap!
Because fans like those could potentially force the developers to give up for giving them too much pressure to create a Zelda game that's the same rank as Ocarina of Time. If you're talking about the reviews that gave the lowest scores to Skyward Sword for those complaints, it was confirmed that they were playing the game wrong.
Ocarina of Time is widely regarded as one of the best games of all time, it's not just the fans. It's normal for developers to try and surpass the game most consider their best. And honestly, feedback is a good thing. Mario Galaxy knocked Sunshine out (and I love Sunshine), Donkey Kong Country Returns sticked with being a hard precise platformer and New Super Mario Bros U I actually bothered to play because it's so gorgeous compared to how bland the Wii game feels. All of those are from fan feedback.

Alinthea
January 6th, 2013, 01:43 PM
He clarified earlier that it was Phantom Hourglass. :3 Which I've never played hahah.

Um... I seem to have completely missed page 3. XDD
Woops. Oh well.

The Persona games are epic! I haven't played them in so long; should really dig out P4 at some point.

Mr. Avocado
January 6th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Um... I seem to have completely missed page 3. XDD
Woops. Oh well.

The Persona games are epic! I haven't played them in so long; should really dig out P4 at some point.
Same here, I need to hop onto some Persona, you guys are making it sound really fun and juicy :P

Oryx
January 6th, 2013, 01:54 PM
I like 3 more than 4. :( Idk I just found Chie REALLY ANNOYING and it was just so bouncy and yellow and I just didn't like it.

Alinthea
January 6th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I like 3 more than 4. :( Idk I just found Chie REALLY ANNOYING and it was just so bouncy and yellow and I just didn't like it.

I looked past those things because it was Persona. XD

"Every day's a great day at your Junes"!!!!!! XD

Oryx
January 6th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Most people seem to like 4 more though! At least most of my friends. I am the black sheep.

http://i.imgur.com/fIDlv.png

Spinosaurus
January 6th, 2013, 02:01 PM
3's cast is definitely better than 4's imo. (3 has a baseball loving guy and a boxer, so I may be biased.) But honestly I can't finish 3, because Tartarus is so tedious and I hate A.I controlled team mates (should buy Persona 3 Portable, though). 4 was an absolute joy to play through and through. It had better demon selection, a more enjoyable battle system, different themed dungeons and great bosses. I also prefer the story over 3's, but I'm a sucker for murder mystery. Oh, and all the playable characters are likable. To be honest I only care about Akihiko, Junpei, Yukari and Mitsuru in 3, and they alone made me prefer 3's cast. But, the only character I possibly wouldn't give a damn about in 4 is Chie, because Kanji is obviously superior.

I recommend playing 3 before 4, still, if you want to play both. It's almost impossible to play 3 after 4 because of the A.I controlled team mates and Tartarus. P3P fixes one issue though, but not Tartarus. Never played 1 or 2 but I heard they are very outdated with pretty annoying game mechanics.

EDIT: You'd be surprised at the amount of people who think Persona 3 is better. 'Course most of them are pretty annoying fanboys/girl, to be honest.

EDIT2: Oh, I'd give the music to Persona 4. But 3 has the best battle theme ever. BAYBABYBABYBABY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9E3VR8Fnj0)

Mr. Avocado
January 6th, 2013, 03:16 PM
If anything, I'll probably play 3 first. Since 4 would most likely make more sense to me if I played a Persona game prior to playing 4. Plus, I would get a lot more understanding of the game. Persona has showed that it has many talking points, and I would like to see what all the chat is about :3

Oryx
January 6th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I don't think the plots are in any way related though, kinda like Final Fantasy. I might be wrong though.

Alinthea
January 7th, 2013, 01:45 AM
No, I don't think they are linked at all, but I could also be wrong.

I have so many games that I have in my flat that I want to play, but I don't know where to start! RE6, FarCry 3, FIFA (usual), F1 2013... the list goes onnnnnnnn! Think it is going to be FarCry 3 though! :3

Kura
January 7th, 2013, 03:59 AM
I have a whole bunch of games that i need to finish.. and i have persona 4 that i need to start since everyone is telling me its so good and i need to play it!

Spinosaurus
January 7th, 2013, 04:13 AM
I've still to beat... (but pretty close for all of them)
-Hotel Dusk
-Wario Land 2
-Wario Land 3
-Wario Land 1
-Wario Land: Shake Dimension
-Mario vs Donkey Kong
-Donkey Kong 94
-New Super Mario Bros U
-Rhythm Paradise
-Uncharted Golden Abyss
-Metal Gear Solid 1
-Paper Mario Sticker Star

And I just got Halo 4 and Trauma Team, too. ugh I'm on my ass playing Elite Beat Agents and Wario Land 4 all time.

Now that I think about it, Persona 4 made me waste so much time. I pretty much played it every week after school till dinner till I beat the true final boss. Then I felt empty, and joined the boxing club. I now hate playing games for longer than an hour session after that, which is why I vastly prefer handhelds over consoles. But, it also resulted to that backlog.

EDIT: Know what? Time to finally finish Hotel Dusk, so I can move on to Trace Memory/Another Code...dammit.

Seki
January 7th, 2013, 04:17 AM
You guys can't beat me in not beating games I haven't even finished Platinum, Black and White 2. Despite buying Platinum like 4 years ago, I lose interest in Pokemon games very quickly.

Spinosaurus
January 7th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Already beat you, buddy.

Are Pokemon games the only ones you play? No wonder you got bored. I like to vary the games I play. Can't stand playing the same genre for long, with platformers being the only exception.

Seki
January 7th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Yeah, I don't know games to play. So recommend me some, no fps anyway, my mum doesn't likes me to play FPS, speaking of that, am I the only person whose parents doesn't like him/her to play fps games?

Oryx
January 7th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Ahhh Spino your avatar reminds me of the time when I played that game and I got myself trapped so there was nothing I could do but lose and so I had to quit and never played again. :(

Spinosaurus
January 7th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Yeah, I don't know games to play. So recommend me some, no fps anyway, my mum doesn't likes me to play FPS, speaking of that, am I the only person whose parents doesn't like him/her to play fps games?
Well, what do you like? Seeing as you have a DS, you can check this. (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049) My personal favorites are Elite Beat Agents and Rhythm Paradise, and I'm really loving Hotel Dusk so get those three if you can. You can find all of them dirt cheap. Other games I'd recommend are all Ace Attorney games, 999, Ghost Trick, Mario Kart DS and Mario and Luigi.
Ahhh Spino your avatar reminds me of the time when I played that game and I got myself trapped so there was nothing I could do but lose and so I had to quit and never played again. :(
Hotel Dusk? Are you talking about the time where you couldn't go down the stairs because the hotel owner would ask to inspect your items?

You have to hide them, if that's what you're talking about.

Oryx
January 7th, 2013, 05:16 AM
I can't remember offhand. I remember it was something I had to do and I didn't do it and then I saved, and then no matter what I did I couldn't beat it because I would be caught and lose. I tried so many different ways and even looked up guides and all I learned was that there was no way out of the way I had saved myself in. :(

Spinosaurus
January 7th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Do you restart the game when you lose? You have to press continue on the game over screen and the game will send you back where you can try again.

Alinthea
January 7th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Seems like Toujours was spaced out when playing Hotel Dusk! XD

Team Fail
January 7th, 2013, 05:59 AM
I've still to beat... (but pretty close for all of them)
-Hotel Dusk
-Wario Land 2
-Wario Land 3
-Wario Land 1
-Wario Land: Shake Dimension
-Mario vs Donkey Kong
-Donkey Kong 94
-New Super Mario Bros U
-Rhythm Paradise
-Uncharted Golden Abyss
-Metal Gear Solid 1
-Paper Mario Sticker Star

And I just got Halo 4 and Trauma Team, too. ugh I'm on my ass playing Elite Beat Agents and Wario Land 4 all time.

Now that I think about it, Persona 4 made me waste so much time. I pretty much played it every week after school till dinner till I beat the true final boss. Then I felt empty, and joined the boxing club. I now hate playing games for longer than an hour session after that, which is why I vastly prefer handhelds over consoles. But, it also resulted to that backlog.

EDIT: Know what? Time to finally finish Hotel Dusk, so I can move on to Trace Memory/Another Code...dammit.
aaaaaaa Wario Land 4! I've benn playing that for the past few days on my 3DS!

Oh and I've also played Mario Kart Super Circuit but the controls are so loose I can't play it :c
Nope, you're not alone. Although once my cousin played Black Ops with me on multiplayer. ofc I sucked, but the biggest thig was that my mom was at his place that day as well. So I wonder...

Alinthea
January 7th, 2013, 06:13 AM

My parents didn't like me playing those types of games (back then it was GTA for the GBA), but I did a big speech on how the game isn't going to change the way I perceive right and wrong and I know it is only a game; they let me play them after that. *Fist pump*

Anyway, what type of games do you like and what consoles do you have access to? :3

Spinosaurus
January 7th, 2013, 06:38 AM
aaaaaaa Wario Land 4! I've benn playing that for the past few days on my 3DS!

Oh and I've also played Mario Kart Super Circuit but the controls are so loose I can't play it :c

Wario Land 4 is my favorite game of all time. I'm in the process of getting 100% on Super Hard mode right now, and I'm pretty close and have no problem. Only thing I'm not looking forward to is fighting the bosses while trying to get all treasures.. I bet I'll break against them and start using items.

Mario Kart GBA was my very first Mario Kart game, and man I was pretty addicted to it. Some reason I can't get into it right now on my ambassador 3DS, and my three favorites characters (Bowser, DK and Wario) all are awful in races.

My parents let me play GTA when I was 7. Either they didn't care/know, or they knew I could differentiate fantasy from reality.

Alinthea
January 7th, 2013, 07:17 AM
I think mine were just being over protective, is all. I personally think the whole 'it changes people' with violent games is just rubbish. I get the whole 'it can distort someone's reality', but if they are in that fragile frame of mine from the beginning, then I am sure anything along the same lines will have that same effect; films, TV and so on.

Spinosaurus
January 7th, 2013, 07:28 AM
It's a tired subject, and an excuse to gain attention given the popularity of video games in the media today. This is an interesting matter to discuss actually, as video games were viewed as nerdy and unsociable back in the day but only few think that now.

I personally wouldn't let my kids near a game that is grotesque and violent until they're at least 13. That is, if they'd be interested in video games, as I don't plan to shove my own hobby in their throats if not. Some parents do that today, it's a bit unfortunate.

Roxanne Rosie
January 7th, 2013, 07:57 AM
My parents didn't really care. Of course the only games I really showed interest in at a younger age was the Tony Hawk games. I still think they wanted me to go outside and be more social than I was though, but I guess they didn't feel like enforcing it.

Alinthea
January 7th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Decided to make a individual thread for this topic, as I thought it would be a good debate! :3 (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7475784)

Team Fail
January 7th, 2013, 09:12 PM
My parents didn't like me playing those types of games (back then it was GTA for the GBA), but I did a big speech on how the game isn't going to change the way I perceive right and wrong and I know it is only a game; they let me play them after that. *Fist pump*

Anyway, what type of games do you like and what consoles do you have access to? :3

I should so try doing that. What a good idea.
Wario Land 4 is my favorite game of all time. I'm in the process of getting 100% on Super Hard mode right now, and I'm pretty close and have no problem. Only thing I'm not looking forward to is fighting the bosses while trying to get all treasures.. I bet I'll break against them and start using items.

Mario Kart GBA was my very first Mario Kart game, and man I was pretty addicted to it. Some reason I can't get into it right now on my ambassador 3DS, and my three favorites characters (Bowser, DK and Wario) all are awful in races.

My parents let me play GTA when I was 7. Either they didn't care/know, or they knew I could differentiate fantasy from reality.
Seeing as it's my first playthrough, I might use some of the items against some of the bosses. I used the Black Dragon assist against the Emerald Passage boss, so it took only one body slam to beat him.

Spinosaurus
January 8th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Seeing as it's my first playthrough, I might use some of the items against some of the bosses. I used the Black Dragon assist against the Emerald Passage boss, so it took only one body slam to beat him.
You're on Normal right? I don't see any reason to bother with items seeing that they're ridiculously easy to beat. Only one I can see giving you trouble is Aerodent but if you know the trick behind him he's easy. Only in Super Hard do they actually start becoming completely ridiculous.

Also, if you beat the game. Start on Hard mode, and this time, try finding the CDs and getting the golden crown (10000 points on a level) on every level. The game really shines there.

Alinthea
January 8th, 2013, 07:53 AM
I think I will have to add Hotel Dusk to my list of games to revisit, as it has been a LONG time since I played it.

Also, this is my 11,000th post! :3

Mr. Avocado
January 8th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Hmm...I really should revisit quite a few of my games. I remember there were a bunch of DS games that I started playing but never really got round to finishing...

On that note, any recommended DS games? But nothing too mainstream; not the sort of games that you see floating around bestsellers pretty much everyday.

Roxanne Rosie
January 8th, 2013, 10:06 AM
There was one I played a while back called Dementium: The Ward. The controls took a little time to get used to though.

I really need to pick up my DS again. I haven't really played it since B/W launched and a little bit after B/W2.

Spinosaurus
January 8th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Elite Beat Agents, Ghost Trick, Rhythm Heaven and Hotel Dusk. Get to it.

Mr. Avocado
January 8th, 2013, 10:21 AM
All heard good stuff about all them; especially Rhythm Heaven from you xD

I've been willing to try out EBA amd Hotel Dusk for a while now, so that's cool. Haven't really heard about Ghost Trick, however, interesting...

Oryx
January 8th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Doesn't Ghost Trick have the adorable dog?

Spinosaurus
January 8th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Missile? Yeah. Pretty amazing character.

But Cabanela is the best.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwvtzmxhRY1r88swmo1_400.gif

Alinthea
January 8th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Missile? Yeah. Pretty amazing character.

But Cabanela is the best.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwvtzmxhRY1r88swmo1_400.gif

Isn't that just Michael Jackson in a game? XD

Mr. Avocado
January 8th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Isn't that just Michael Jackson in a game? XD
Michael Jackson was probably the base for the character xD. Gee, that guy enters the room and instantly owns it...

Alinthea
January 9th, 2013, 01:05 AM
It was the twirl that did it for me! XD

Mr. Avocado
January 9th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Always interesting to see unique characters like that.

*looks at sig*

Yeah Vaas just wins. xD

Team Fail
January 10th, 2013, 08:59 PM
I dunno why but I like unique game characters. There's a surprising amount of generic ones.

Mr. Avocado
January 10th, 2013, 11:47 PM
I don't think we see too much of them, unfortunately. I mean, the ones I can think of off the top of my head are all very focused on in the game. Let's take Vaas for example, all the focus is on him, the enemy, and you; but in an RPG it's always gonna be on you. I know there are quite a few unique characters in Skyrim actually, if you follow the main quest you come across the weird and spectacular. That is why I love the game, so much variety.

Spinosaurus
January 11th, 2013, 03:35 AM
I dunno why but I like unique game characters. There's a surprising amount of generic ones.
Oh god, I want your theme! H-H-H-HURRY UP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fihc2ONQ5v0) and give it to me!

That reminds me, I need to go and get 100% on super hard mode. Toxic Landfill kicked my ass last time I tried. (But I can't get mad when it means I get to listen to the badasss BGM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrVFG9lqzX4) more.)

Mr. Avocado
January 11th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Oh god, I want your theme! H-H-H-HURRY UP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fihc2ONQ5v0) and give it to me!

That reminds me, I need to go and get 100% on super hard mode. Toxic Landfill kicked my ass last time I tried. (But I can't get mad when it means I get to listen to the badasss BGM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrVFG9lqzX4) more.)
Such a Wario freak...gosh, Spino! :3

I really hope they would really a new Yoshi game sometime soon. I'm guessing that the Wii U would be a good fit, something adventure-y. Or at least on the 3DS!

Spinosaurus
January 11th, 2013, 12:23 PM
It's very possible there's gonna be a Yoshi's Island game on the Wii U. Someone "accidently" hacked the Wii U (he got the Wii U before the street date and when he got on miiverse he had admin powers) and when he looked at the listed game "Yoshi's Land Wii U" or something like that was listed. (Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy were listed as well.)

To be honest, I don't care. Yoshi's Island is, imo, a terribly overrated game that has nothing special. As a platformer, it's abysmal, because Yoshi controls horrible and the only way to die is by falling because it's easy to get back Baby Mario. It's basically a collectathon mixed with Mario Bros.. Level design is the only thing that it has going for it, but with the the bad physics and easy difficulty they're completely neutralized.

Wario Land and Donkey Kong Country are better. Hell, Wario and DK are better than Yoshi in general, I don't get the love for the green dinosaur.

Yuoaman
January 11th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I really think Yoshi's Island has some of the tightest controls in any platformer ever - the jump works perfectly, and the ability to hover to squeeze a little more distance out is fantastic, I mean I like Donkey Kong Country but the characters always felt a little too weighty for my tastes.

Spinosaurus
January 11th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Yoshi feels too floaty to me, and I'm not a fan of the eggs mechanics. (Ruins the pace) Yeah, DK and Diddy weren't much in the original trilogy, but at least it's more about traditional, precise platforming. (Especially DKC2.) DKCR however, had the perfect control physics, and I consider it the best in the series.

Team Fail
January 11th, 2013, 12:50 PM

I tried playing Fiery Cavern earlier, and it being my first playthrough of the game, and I couldn't beat it. Gonna go back to it later.
I really think Yoshi's Island has some of the tightest controls in any platformer ever - the jump works perfectly, and the ability to hover to squeeze a little more distance out is fantastic, I mean I like Donkey Kong Country but the characters always felt a little too weighty for my tastes.
I have to agree. I've played the GBA version, idk if the physics are any different on the SNES version, but I really like the physics and controls..

Spinosaurus
January 11th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I tried playing Fiery Cavern earlier, and it being my first playthrough of the game, and I couldn't beat it. Gonna go back to it later.

I have to agree. I've played the GBA version, idk if the physics are any different on the SNES version, but I really like the physics and controls..
Fiery Cavern's easy when you know one thing: You can kill the ape by butt stomping on it.
I had trouble at first but it was a breeze getting everything in it. (Except in Hard when I couldn't find the last jewel.)
Game's really easy, even in Hard mode. (I knew all secrets beforehand except for the Ruby and Sapphire levels, but I managed myself.) It's until super hard mode when you start dying every time. Emerald Passage, which is the easiest, is imo the hardest in super hard because of the fact you start with one health and the enemy placement is the WORST. (Know that alligator in Monsoon Jungle? There's two/three of them each section.) The red spearmasks in Wildflower Field were also absolutely dreadful, and I didn't change their colors because I was aiming for the golden crown. (Though turned out I had a lot of unnecessary points at the end because of that lol.)
Though so far Ruby passage might beat it. I only beat Topaz and Emerald.

I should give Yoshi's Island another try. My memory might be hazy about it. I still don't like the pacing and mechanics.

Oryx
January 11th, 2013, 02:06 PM
I have really great memories of my mom despising that game in particular because constant baby crying all the time because I was miserable at it, hahaha. So I love it for nostalgia purposes only!

Spinosaurus
January 11th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I'm sure everyone is guilty of nostalgia. Mario Sunshine is my favorite Mario because it's my first one.
On another note, I finished Hotel Dusk. Can't say I didn't see that twist coming, but damn.

Also shameless advertising, but I did a video of Elite Beat Agents. Whatcha think? (Sound is a BIT off sync, so sorry about that.)
hVycN0bgZFU

Mr. Avocado
January 11th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Spino, nice beats there! One quote at the end that struck me "Your Mum sure is pretty" "I know"...wow. xD

Team Fail
January 12th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I'm sure everyone is guilty of nostalgia. Mario Sunshine is my favorite Mario because it's my first one.
On another note, I finished Hotel Dusk. Can't say I didn't see that twist coming, but damn.

Also shameless advertising, but I did a video of Elite Beat Agents. Whatcha think? (Sound is a BIT off sync, so sorry about that.)
<snip>

Glad to see I'm not the only one that emulates here. I did this earlier this week:

6UNRsWizOdc

Mr. Avocado
January 12th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Ahh, more Wario games. That key really looks like it could be a potential Pokemon.

I'm working on a Let's Play currently, gonna have it up sometime in not too long. As for my next review, I'm just waiting for some CSS to be done :3

Team Fail
January 12th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Ahh, more Wario games. That key really looks like it could be a potential Pokemon.

I'm working on a Let's Play currently, gonna have it up sometime in not too long. As for my next review, I'm just waiting for some CSS to be done :3

I have a Vietnamese Crystal LP, but I've been too busy to work on it. I think I may restart it when I get a laptop so I can do running commentary alongside. I do have a longplay video of Super Mario Land though. I can finish it in less than half an hour.

TRIFORCE89
January 12th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Yoshi's Island is perhaps the greatest 2D sidescroller platformer. And the DS sequel was surprisngly good except for Wario.

Mr. Avocado
January 13th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Yay, another Yoshi's Island fan! But I do seriously hope a remake of that game is in order, I would be playing that like a madman. With new graphics possibilities, mechanics and everything, the game would work so well on the Wii U/3DS.

Team Fail
January 18th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I haven't really tried the DS version, but I wouldn't mind seeing a WiiU version, that is, once I actually get a WiiU.

Kura
January 19th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I never played Yoshi's Island more than a day :c I really need to get on that!! If they make one for 3DS I would get it! I have so many games to finish though! I am the worst with finishing games!!

Oryx
January 19th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Steam finally got me into the habit of buying games that I don't play...usually I buy games and play them immediately, because I buy games so rarely, but when I can pick up 3 or 4 games for 10 bucks, I'll just forget I have them and never play them :(

Team Fail
January 19th, 2013, 06:38 PM
If I get a better computer, I may get myself Team Fortress. Since the only computer we have is in the living room for all to see, it's not really a good place to game.

Cordelia
January 20th, 2013, 07:27 AM
How many people have Mario Kart 7? I've been looking for some people to play with lately and I haven't had a lot of luck. D:

Pinkie-Dawn
January 20th, 2013, 07:55 AM
I have Mario Kart 7, and I've pretty much unlocked everything in that game. I haven't challenged people online for a while because I've got my hands full on finishing Paper Mario and Pokemon White 2.

Team Fail
January 20th, 2013, 08:09 AM
I have MK7, but I'm still trying to unlock vehicle parts. I have all of the characters though.

Cordelia
January 20th, 2013, 08:35 AM
I just got it less than a week ago, so I've only beaten everything on 50CC right now... so I would probably be laughed at online ;)

Team Fail
January 20th, 2013, 09:02 AM
I just got it less than a week ago, so I've only beaten everything on 50CC right now... so I would probably be laughed at online ;)

Oh how I know those feels. I raced with the CW-Games community a while back. I sucked so badly.

Mr. Avocado
January 20th, 2013, 09:13 AM
I remember when I used to play Mariokart Wii hours on end. I unlocked all characters and races, and then I always used Yoshi after that. Aww Yoshi and his Cucumber Kart...I loved that Dinosaur <3

Cordelia
January 20th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Oh how I know those feels. I raced with the CW-Games community a while back. I sucked so badly.

Lol, I have a feeling that would be me. :(

I remember when I used to play Mariokart Wii hours on end. I unlocked all characters and races, and then I always used Yoshi after that. Aww Yoshi and his Cucumber Kart...I loved that Dinosaur <3

Haha, I use Yoshi n___n I like how in MK7 the size of your character doesn't affect the size of your kart like in MKWii.

Spinosaurus
January 20th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Been a while since I played MK7. Usually I play it on long flights or when I'm outside with the 3DS. Still though, it's really fun, my favorite Mario Kart if DS didn't exist, and one where I can actually win without stupid luck with the items.

Wario and DK every day, all day.

Team Fail
January 20th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Lol, I have a feeling that would be me. :(

Wanna know what's worse?

6leNYOByyJU

yeah. Those feels all right. (Starts at 20:00)

Mr. Avocado
January 20th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Mariokart has been amazing across all platforms. It's so fun and addicting, I would be both sad and surprised if they stop thew production of those games. It brings smiles and laughs to a huge amount of people. Plus, there is always challenges thrown in to them which makes me want to play them more :3

Denny Hamlin
January 22nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
My nephew has Mario Kart 7. It's a pretty awesome game, and luckily my nephew had unlocked everything. I played as Luigi and he's pretty good! That game is on my list when I get a 3DS pretty soon~

Mr. Avocado
January 22nd, 2013, 09:53 AM
Did you guys ever play those online mini-games on multiplayer? My favorite was the one where you had to eliminate the other Karters until you were the last left. :3

Spinosaurus
January 22nd, 2013, 10:32 AM
Out of the Mario Karts I owned (all but 64 and double dash, though I have played the latter) the only Mario Kart I dislike is MK Wii, but only because of the stupid item ratio that destroyed online for me. That, and the stupid, unbalanced characters (I use King Boo, Wario and Waluigi which are the worst) and how bikes dominated karts. But, its core gameplay is still fine...though, MK7 perfected it, so it's the better game. Still think DS (snaking or not) and SNES/GBA games got the better mechanics.

Though one thing I have to say is that Sonic & All Star racing has a superior core gameplay. I only played Transformed (and it's amazing, I recommend it), but Sumo have done a very good job with it. The racing is complimented with an arcade feeling (it's Sega, after all) and a true sense of speed (because let's face, Mario Kart feeels slooow. At least for me.), and has some of the best track designs I have ever seen in any kart racer. It reminds me a little of Crash Team Racing, which I consider the best kart racer of all time. Though, I don't like the roster much, and despite finding him a great addition, I'm maining Ralph, a guest character from Disney, for god's sake. Give me Ryo from Shenmue (he was in the first game!) and Kazuma Kiryu from Yakuza! Here's hoping one of them is DLC.

Anyway, anyone here got Playstation All Stars? If you're a Smash fan (and not a fanboy lol), then I recommend it. Although I feel Smash is the better game, All Stars is still a solid fighting game and the love the developers put in it is evident, even if the presentation is one of the worst, but that's from the lack of budget. If anyone here got it, hit me up for a match. I main Heihachi because I'm a Tekken nuts but also use other characters, mainly Drake, Raiden, Toro and Sweet Tooth...I'm a fighting game veteran so it's easy to learn other characters in a game like this. :P

On another note, looks like I'm getting Rhythm Tengoku because I'm craving for more of the series, and the original is widely regarded as the best one. All I need then is Rhythm Tengoku Gold to have every game in the series in every language available. :P Pretty excited personally! Still gotta play the DS game in French and German. EDIT: Looks like there's Italian and Spanish for the DS game, which my copy doesn't support. Ah, dammit! EDIT2: Karate Man is soooooooooo good in French though!

P.S: Got Halo 4 and it sucks ass. Series is dead to me. :((((

Mr. Avocado
January 22nd, 2013, 10:46 AM
Yeah, Halo clearly lost it's touch with Halo 4. I was a huge fan of the whole series, especially 3. Sad to see a series start to die down like this. Please may this not happen to Far Cry...

Spinosaurus
January 22nd, 2013, 10:57 AM
Halo 3 was and still is the pinnacle of the series for me. Reach destroyed the basic and simple jump and shoot formula which is what makes Halo enjoyable to me, but it was at least a good game. (even though I didn't like it.) Halo 4 spread itself further away and felt more like Call of Duty, but worse.

Also, why the hell is Halo 4 not 60fps? I know my friend didn't know what he was talking about when he told me it was 70fps, but I expected 60fps. Imagine my disappointment when my cousin told me it was 30fps and then saw it on my own. I know all the previous Halo's were 30fps but I don't tolerate it anymore when it's 2013 and Call of Duty manages to run at 60fps. 30fps first person shooters give me motion sickness, especially if they're graphically powerful. (Halo 1-ODST were not so they were fine.)

Mr. Avocado
January 22nd, 2013, 12:00 PM
FPS is always a key factor in games, yet a lot of games still struggle with it; 2012 was a year full of that. Halo 4 really is a poor excuse for this. I mean, as you mentioned, now that it's 2013 games should be hitting that 60 FPS by now. I would be upset if any of the big games followed the same path as Halo did.

Team Fail
January 23rd, 2013, 07:56 AM
So did anyone see the Nintendo Direct yet? There's a Wind Waker remake, a new Zelda title, a new Yoshi title that looks like Kirby's Epic Yarn, and all sorts of fun stuff. I found a forum thread with all of the info in it, so I'm just gonna link to it because there's actually quite a bit.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/massive-nintendo-direct-uncovered.341729/

Mr. Avocado
January 23rd, 2013, 08:02 AM
A Yoshi game! That looks really neat, graphics and gameplay are very smooth. I've always been hoping for a new Yoshi game to be released, and here it is.

Wind Waker...I heard a bunch of news surrounding it and it looks promising. I'm glad they haven't gone for the amazing graphics, but gone for the cartoon look; makes it feel like a Zelda game should feel.

Alinthea
January 23rd, 2013, 08:04 AM
No! >:(

Leave Wind Waker alone. WW was the last LoZ game that I liked. It looks like they are just porting it over really. Graphics look more polished than upgraded and they have added MOAR GLARE!

Also, Monolithsoft, isn't that just Zack from Final Fantasy: Crisis Core? :/

machomuu
January 23rd, 2013, 12:41 PM
Wind Waker...I heard a bunch of news surrounding it and it looks promising. I'm glad they haven't gone for the amazing graphics, but gone for the cartoon look; makes it feel like a Zelda game should feel.
You don't think the graphics that the tech demo presented fit Zelda? It's not a wholly light-hearted series (and Wind Waker isn't a wholly light-hearted game, though it does interesting things with the cartoony graphics and the darker tones), but I thought graphics like those in the tech demo and Twilight Princess complimented the games well. Though, that's just me. I don't have anything against the cartoon art style; in fact, I liked it quite a bit in Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

No! >:(

Leave Wind Waker alone. WW was the last LoZ game that I liked. It looks like they are just porting it over really. Graphics look more polished than upgraded and they have added MOAR GLARE!
Yeah, it's an HD remake. Difference between HD remakes and normal remakes (as I'm sure you know) is that, well, HD remakes are mostly just HD; other than that, they usually don't add much (though it's not uncommon for games, such as Wind Waker, to add new modern features to compliment the modern hardware). I prefer normal remakes (though SoTC, Metal Gear Solid, and Okami have nice HD remakes), but people have been clamoring for an HD remake of WW for a long time, so it was a given.

Also, Monolithsoft, isn't that just Zack from Final Fantasy: Crisis Core? :/
Fabio. Fabio. Fabio. FABIO. Don't insult Monolith like that >:(

Though, pretty much everything that was talked about has me interested. Probably the most exciting thing was the know Monolith game (I'm guessing it'll be a link between Xenoblade and either Xenogears or Xenosaga), which pretty much made the Wii U a mandatory system for me. I'm also very interested in the Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem game (which was really out of nowhere); I don't know if I see it coming over though, since only 2 of the 4 Shin Megami Tensei games are localized (technically 1 of the 3, if you don't count "If..." or "Strange Journey) and a good number of the Fire Emblem games aren't, either. Oh well, I'll remain hopeful.

Went
January 23rd, 2013, 01:33 PM
I just want Yoshi's Epic Yarn, and I want it now. It looks so adorable. It makes me go all "d'aaaw" inside. it's beautiful. I want it.

Oshamaru
January 23rd, 2013, 01:56 PM
Wow, both the WW Remake and the Yoshi look good. I haven´t been in Zelda that long, but I did want to try WW. If I ever get a Wii U, I´ll get it. : D

Mr. Avocado
January 23rd, 2013, 03:15 PM
I haven't been so excited for games like this in ages. Wow, 2013 has a lot lined up!

Spinosaurus
January 24th, 2013, 02:04 PM
That Yoshi game...looks more like a new "Epic Yarn" game than a "Yoshi's Island" one, and I don't like how it makes me reminiscent of Little Big Planet with it's new art style in some areas, which is a series I absolutely loathe. (I get it's appeal but I personally don't like it.) Still, Good-Feel is a good developer, and I'm willing to support the people who made Wario Land: Shake It!.

Also, that Wind Waker remake was announced at the right time, haha. I was actually thinking of buying the game but I'm more than willing to wait.

In other news, found a used copy of Another Code R for cheap in Gamestop and impulse bought it because I LOVE Cing. <3 (RIP :( ) Not gonna touch it till I buy the original DS game, however, unless the sequel isn't dependant to it? That reminds me, gotta buy The Last Window as well since it's apparently as good as Hotel Dusk.

EDIT: Anyone getting Ni No Kuni and might want to post impression? I want to get it because of the Studio Ghibli involvement, but I don't want to buy a potentially time consuming JRPG unless it's REALLY good.

Mr. Avocado
January 24th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I think it is an Epic Yarn by the looks, since most of the clips and screenshots show a lot of the textures they used in Kirby's EY, especially the big clue being Yoshi is made from yarn. But you know, I am really looking forward to that, a nice Yoshi adventure game.

Oshamaru
January 27th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I haven´t played any Yoshi games until the end, but this one looks prety good. I think the Epic Yarn style fits Yoshi.

By the way, is anybody planning on getting Fire Emblem: Awakening? I think I´ll be getting it. I have played the demo a lot of times, trying to complete it in Hard. But those monstrs keep pwning me. XP Lunatic is just basically imposible though.
...Be right back, gonna play Sacred Stones for a while.

Zero°
January 27th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Fire Emblem Awakening <33333333
That game looks so amazing, it might be my new favourite Fire Emblem(or maybe not, Radiant Dawn is too good) I actually like this one, unlike Shadow Dragon. The graphics resemble Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn and I REALLY like the DLC feature.

Evil Stud Muffin
January 27th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I honestly don't mind if Epic Yarn becomes a console series of cute games, even if it gets a bit too easy. Its cute, calming, and could be pretty fun. Not to mention the other screens make it seem like its more then just that. As for FE:Awakening, man I want to buy it. Having recently finished most of the games available for Europe, I have an unsatisfiable thirst for more. Even if its torturous to watch a character die for good.

Mr. Avocado
January 27th, 2013, 01:13 PM
It's good to have that game that doesn't make you stress. YEY will be an amazing game, and something I can play after doing a load of work.

I'm getting Fire Emblem. I think this is a game I could be playing for a long time. *flexes fingers*

machomuu
January 27th, 2013, 01:31 PM
It's good to have that game that doesn't make you stress. YEY will be an amazing game, and something I can play after doing a load of work.

I'm getting Fire Emblem. I think this is a game I could be playing for a long time. *flexes fingers*
Same here, this entry looks really interesting, and from what I played in the demo, everything it adds is just more of a reason to buy it. Just a few more days!

I'm still going to try and pre-order it if I can; hopefully I can get the artbook.

Mr. Avocado
January 27th, 2013, 01:55 PM
There are a few things I should get pre-ordering, along with Fire Emblem. Metro: Last Light (which I am mega excited for), Persona 4, Bioshock Infinite. That's my current list, but so much more to come. :3

Spinosaurus
January 27th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Only game I'll get day one this year is Luigi's Mansion 2, and Game & Wario if that's out this year. Otherwise, I'm waiting for price drops. I'm also gonna beat Metal Gear Solid 1 before buying MGR Revengeance. (If you haven't, play the demo!) Fire Emblem 13 can also wait until summer.

Otherwise, games that I REALLY want are games from previous years. Already ordered Another Code and Rhythm Tengoku online and looking to get DK Jungle Beat tomorrow, but I still want The Last Window and Densetsu no Starfy 3 to name a few. And a GBA Micro. (my old GBA got scratches, my GBA SP is lost and my DS Lites got some broken hinges/buttons lol.)

This year is definitely looking much better than the last for games to be released, though. (Rhythm Heaven Fever notwithstanding. :P )

EDIT: Forgot about The Last of Us...it's out in May, so I might get it early depending on the situation. I personally cannot wait to play as Kanji in stealth action.

machomuu
January 27th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I'm really looking forward to what is likely the new "Xeno" title, as well as the Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei game. Both of those are on my "Must Buy" list. Then there's Soul Hackers, which I'll be getting. God Mode will be ten bucks, I'll definitely be getting that (at some point, at least, not at launch). Those are just some off of the top of my head- oh, but probably the game I'm looking forward to most that may or may not come out this year is Ace Attorney 5, and if not that, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright.

But what I'm REALLY looking forward to this year is E3. It has a lot of potential...though last year's did as well, and it was the worst yet. I'm hopeful, though, and the recent Nintendo direct (as well as the announcement that Super Smash Bros 4 will be there) have enforced that hope. It will either be the worst E3 yet, or the best E3 in years, and I'm hoping for the latter.

Spinosaurus
January 28th, 2013, 12:16 PM
SMT X Fire Emblem was a huge surprise. I only played one from each series so far (Nocturne and Sacred Stones...not counting spin offs), but this is the kind of wacky cross over I like. (Similar to Marvel vs Capcom.) Being unpredictable is what gives cross overs real charm and shows off a unique vibe to them.

Definitely looking forward to this E3. I am awaiting the inevitable Lil Mac reveal in the new Smash Bros by that time, Sakurai.

Mr. Avocado
January 28th, 2013, 12:22 PM
E3 should be good; 2013 after all. I am really looking forward to it. Hopefully a Hunger Games game is announced or something, that would be fun. I am looking forward to seeing all the fluff and dirt about the other games being released later this year; because the ones lined up at the moment are looking nice.

Spinosaurus
January 28th, 2013, 12:34 PM
The Durango and Orbis are also more than likely to be unveiled this E3 as well.

Mr. Avocado
January 28th, 2013, 02:10 PM
All we know is that E3 will be amazing this year xD

Also, I was thinking maybe some of us maybe want to partake in a gaming collab? Would any of you be interested in that?

Spinosaurus
January 28th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Definitely. Hopefully it makes up for last year's E3.

A collab? About gaming? How would it work out? I might go at it depending on the concept of it.

machomuu
January 28th, 2013, 03:10 PM
What type of collab did you have in mind?

Mr. Avocado
January 28th, 2013, 03:15 PM
I was just seeing if you guys were up for it first xD. Any ideas? Anything you guys would like?

Team Fail
January 28th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Depending on the system, I might join in. I have any Wii game at my disposal, I have some 3DS games, I also have the entire DS library at my disposal. I wouldn't mind participating.

Evil Stud Muffin
January 28th, 2013, 03:35 PM
A collab? Sure. If we you guys don't already maybe some usage of the 3DS letterbox, but I guess if we wanted to talk to each other that's what PC is for. I dunno what else I could be helpful in, online games aren't exactly an option. :(

machomuu
January 28th, 2013, 03:40 PM
We can all go to Gamestop and ask to preorder Battletoads. Ah? Aaah?

...and if not that, I'm not sure :/

Mr. Avocado
January 30th, 2013, 02:10 PM
2 games I'm definitely gonna pre-order are Metro: Last Light and Bioshock Infinite. Ni no Kuni is a possibility to be thrown in there; but I wouldn't risk it at that price of a game that I am not completely certain about.

machomuu
January 30th, 2013, 03:04 PM
2 games I'm definitely gonna pre-order are Metro: Last Light and Bioshock Infinite. Ni no Kuni is a possibility to be thrown in there; but I wouldn't risk it at that price of a game that I am not completely certain about.
Your sure about Last Light but you're not sure about Ni no Kuni? Le shock!

Morkula
January 30th, 2013, 09:10 PM
There's pretty much...nothing coming out this year that I'm interested in except maybe Fire Emblem: Awakening, which I can't preorder anyway since they stopped taking them at Gamestop. But I think I'll probably wait for it to go on sale before getting it.

Mr. Avocado
January 30th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Your sure about Last Light but you're not sure about Ni no Kuni? Le shock!Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Metro 2033 and cannot wait to see where it carries on. As for Ni no Kuni, I know it's an amazing game and all, but I haven't really played a game quite like it.

Evil Stud Muffin
January 31st, 2013, 07:42 AM
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/01/31/god-of-war-ascension-legacy-bundle-includes-garnet-red-ps3/
I might just buy a PS3 if this comes out here. Planning to buy a Wii U, but I would love to have a PS3 as well, and if it converts to 350 euros, 6 games with the console might just win me over. I could buy a Wii U later in the year when the library it has is bigger, and I can finally catch up with this gen! Not to mention that red is mucho sexy.

Mr. Avocado
February 1st, 2013, 02:17 PM
I would go with the Wii U for now, because the PS4 shouldn't be an awful long way away.

I have high hopes for the Xbox 720, not for the PS4. All these rumors about the PS4 I've been hearing and also the threads about them here have really given me a stronger repel from the Playstation. I don't know what Sony are trying to do with it, but we'll see when it comes out. All I can say for the 720 is just that it will be a nicely improved model and also just the general Xbox stuff; Dashboard, chats, achievements, avatars, layout etc. However, I'm not too sure about picking one up myself. I've had an Xbox, 360 and 360 S and have enjoyed them all greatly. But having recently become a PC gamer, Steam and Origin have been keeping me fine and dandy; an Xbox might not be the right place to go. You know, I just feel a lot more comfortable on PC, everything is more familiar and smoother.

machomuu
February 1st, 2013, 02:48 PM
I definitely say that, if you wanted the cheapest yet optimal combo, it would be Wii U and PC, mainly because these two consoles have always had the most exclusives and the most unique experiences, so you'd be getting the most bang for your buck. Plus, this time around, a lot more games will that are available for the 720 and PS4 will be available for the Wii U than were available for the Wii was with games available for the 360 and PS3, do to power comparisons (and now, thanks to the new Unreal engine), so things are looking brighter for core gamers this time around.

It's unlikely that I'll be getting...no, I will get a 720, but if the PS4 comes out before it and...well, if I feel like buying the PS4, I'll probably buy that first. I really, REALLY don't like Xbox Live, specifically, how they charge you for it and pretty much every other game. Heck, if they got rid of that one thing, I'd have a lot more respect for Microsoft and I'd like the Xbox again. I'm not even much of a multiplayer gamer, multiplayer is nice, but it's never been my deciding point on a game...however, in the case of the Xbox, I can't play online unless I pay. Nor can I watch Netflix, Youtube, play various demos...

My point is, Live payment REALLY deters me from even wanting the 720, and unless it gets more exclusives or drops the subscription fee (the latter of which won't happen)...I dunno if I will. I'll get the PS4, though I'll be a little disappointed if they drop used game support, but it will no doubt be better than the PS3, for a number of reasons. Or I could just stay PC; that's where I do the majority of my gaming, anyway. I'll no doubt be getting a Wii U thanks to that amazing Nintendo Direct recently.

Spinosaurus
February 1st, 2013, 03:17 PM
I probably won't get Nextbox and PS4 for a while. I'll be Wii U and the two handhelds only until the PS4 has any significant enough games. As promising as a PC is, I don't have the time and money to build a personal gaming one, and can't say I care much for its exclusives and multiplat titles for the most part. That, and I don't mind inferior performance provided it isn't anything game breaking.

Thing about Microsoft is that Live lost its values for me, and its exclusives are nothing interesting for me at all anymore. Since Sony is most likely gonna keep it, I can pay the same amount of money I pay Live for PS Plus while also saving a lot, and the fact that it's a lot more consumer friendly. I went with the Wii U first because Nintendo always provides the games I want. ("Casual", easy to just pick up and play but still addicting and extremely fun games.)

I'm pretty sure I can deal with just the Wii U, older consoles and the 3DS/Vita for a long while. I'm primarily a handheld and retro gamer, anyway.

Mr. Avocado
February 1st, 2013, 03:26 PM
Yeah, XBL was a pricey, but I think that XBL was still better than PSN. Not gonna get into that argument...

Microsoft will keep the payment going for the 720, unless...heck they're improving it, there is no unless. The only thing I see happening is the price slightly increasing. But you know, XBL has a lot of good features, interactive things for the player which PSN lacked.

Anyway, yes Nintendo produces a lot of pleasing games for many people. I think that there is a broader range in audience when it comes down to Mario, Sonic games etc. and much more people like to play those sorts of games. Wii U is definitely the way to go, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up. Looking at the titles for Wii U games released this year I should really start saving up some money. That goes for PC, too...

Evil Stud Muffin
February 1st, 2013, 03:27 PM
Haha, posting that a couple of hours before the thread is hilarious, but yeah going PC and Wii U was my original plan, but I just don't know. Getting a PS3 would come down the line either way, and PS4 is out of the question, considering how I have a PC. The real problem for me is do I go PS3 or 360, cause the exclusives on MS' front are more tantalizing for me. Fable, Forza, and crackdown are all my cup of tea, not to mention I would also be able to buy an OG one from my friend for 50 bucks, meaning it would literally be a steal, but a russian roulette. Its like 7 years old, and if its a RRoD machine, then good lord would that be hard to fix.
And anyway, like Spinosaurus, I'm more handheld and Retro. Planning to broaden my PS1,PS2,GC, and DS collections before I even dabble into the Wii U, so this is all just planning. I really need a job first to accomplish anything.

Mr. Avocado
February 1st, 2013, 03:31 PM
It's all down to personal preference, I would take a look at both XBL and PSN and see which you prefer; along with the games and all. But it wouldn't hurt to wait for the PS4 or 720, would it? That way you could be saving money up to the release and would be able to splash more cash on games when one of them do get released. Since you have a PC and a Wii U, surely you can wait. You can spend time playing on those 2. You're set until the release of 720 and PS4.

Spinosaurus
February 1st, 2013, 03:36 PM
To be honest I think this time is a good time to get a PS3, if you never did. PS Plus especially right now is better than ever. (make sure you subscribe to it so you get to play Vanquish, inFamous 2 and LBP2 for free!)

That and there are promising exclusives around this time. Ni No Kuni and PS All Stars just came out and they are both very solid, and there's still Puppeteer, Sly 4, Last of Us and MLB 13: The Show around the corner. You also get the great range of exclusives you missed (Uncharted, inFamous, Demon's Souls, WipEout to name some...), and great HD collections of previous PS2 games if you never played them. (I recommend MGS and Jak, personally. :P ) The only thing it has going against it right now is that it's usually the worst for multiplat titles, but I don't think that matters much now and the price is great.

Wii U can wait. As much as I love NSMB Wii U (most fun I've had with a 2D Mario since I can remember <3) and Nintendo Land, there's literally nothing special about it. I'd wait until more games come out for it.

Off to play Gravity Rush...

EDIT: Missed you post about the 360. Well it depends on your preferences, and I'd take a look at both's selections of games before I decide. I've only bought the PS3 recently, but I personally like it better than the 360. But again, it's preferences.

Mr. Avocado
February 1st, 2013, 03:49 PM
Well, yes, there is that option, too. But still, quite a broad range on both 360 and 720. Keep in mind that there are some Xbox and PS3 exclusive games; such as Halo for the 360. Spino showed a bunch of games you can buy if you were to get the PS3, however would cost plenty to buy the lot xD.

Yeah, PC has a lot of exclusive games which I would look into. There is Metro 2033, with Metro: Last Light set for release in March. Minecraft (which you must have heard of) and Terraria which is similar. You have games such as The Binding of Isaac, Awesomenauts, Chivalry and the list goes on and on. What's so wonderful is that Steam has so many PC exclusive games and they're not games which cost a fortune. In fact, most of the games on Steam cost less than £20. Steam also have many sales and deals; Hitman Absolution was 66% off, Sleeping Dogs was 75% off etc. you get the jist. The PC itself may cost a lot, but the games are at a very nice value and Steam has a huge audience, so never expect to be lonely in a multiplayer game.

Just think about it, but don't jump to a conclusion too quick or you will regret it.

machomuu
February 1st, 2013, 03:49 PM
Getting a PS3 would come down the line either way, and PS4 is out of the question, considering how I have a PC. The real problem for me is do I go PS3 or 360, cause the exclusives on MS' front are more tantalizing for me. Fable, Forza, and crackdown are all my cup of tea, not to mention I would also be able to buy an OG one from my friend for 50 bucks, meaning it would literally be a steal, but a russian roulette. Its like 7 years old, and if its a RRoD machine, then good lord would that be hard to fix.

Well, you have a good chance of games on the 360/720 going on the PC, especially the first party ones (such as Fable, where the only ones that are unavailable are Fable 2 and Journey), so it's not an nonviable strategy to stick to the PC. That, and MS has been trying to integrate Live into most of their products (especially Windows 8)

Evil Stud Muffin
February 1st, 2013, 04:04 PM
It's all down to personal preference, I would take a look at both XBL and PSN and see which you prefer; along with the games and all. But it wouldn't hurt to wait for the PS4 or 720, would it? That way you could be saving money up to the release and would be able to splash more cash on games when one of them do get released. Since you have a PC and a Wii U, surely you can wait. You can spend time playing on those 2. You're set until the release of 720 and PS4.
Well the PSN and XBLA stores both have games I want, but Fez, Shadow Complex and various Dreamcast games have a hold over me. If the stores do carry over completely, much unlike the Wii store to the Wii U, then I would surely go for a PS4/720 in the long run. I'm waiting for that crucial info of course. And of course I'm waiting, I mean like 5-6 months down the line, depending on what the price for the PS4/720 turns out to be, and if it would be viable to go for that, or an older console.

To be honest I think this time is a good time to get a PS3, if you never did. PS Plus especially right now is better than ever. (make sure you subscribe to it so you get to play Vanquish, inFamous 2 and LBP2 for free!)

That and there are promising exclusives around this time. Ni No Kuni and PS All Stars just came out and they are both very solid, and there's still Puppeteer, Sly 4, Last of Us and MLB 13: The Show around the corner. You also get the great range of exclusives you missed (Uncharted, inFamous, Demon's Souls, WipEout to name some...), and great HD collections of previous PS2 games if you never played them. (I recommend MGS and Jak, personally. :P ) The only thing it has going against it right now is that it's usually the worst for multiplat titles, but I don't think that matters much now and the price is great.

Wii U can wait. As much as I love NSMB Wii U (most fun I've had with a 2D Mario since I can remember <3) and Nintendo Land, there's literally nothing special about it. I'd wait until more games come out for it.

Off to play Gravity Rush...

EDIT: Missed you post about the 360. Well it depends on your preferences, and I'd take a look at both's selections of games before I decide. I've only bought the PS3 recently, but I personally like it better than the 360. But again, it's preferences.Yeah, inFamous, and Devil Souls are definitely what are steering me to the PS3, along with GoW and the rest of the Rachet and Clank games. Recently got into them on PS2, and I need more! Can't forget the Killzone games,and Resistance. God I don't even know what I was thinking considering the 360. I couldn't go without them, and seeing how XBLA is on PC, most of the games there I can already get. PS3 is probably a lock now, with more consideration....

Well, yes, there is that option, too. But still, quite a broad range on both 360 and 720. Keep in mind that there are some Xbox and PS3 exclusive games; such as Halo for the 360. Spino showed a bunch of games you can buy if you were to get the PS3, however would cost plenty to buy the lot xD.

Yeah, PC has a lot of exclusive games which I would look into. There is Metro 2033, with Metro: Last Light set for release in March. Minecraft (which you must have heard of) and Terraria which is similar. You have games such as The Binding of Isaac, Awesomenauts, Chivalry and the list goes on and on. What's so wonderful is that Steam has so many PC exclusive games and they're not games which cost a fortune. In fact, most of the games on Steam cost less than £20. Steam also have many sales and deals; Hitman Absolution was 66% off, Sleeping Dogs was 75% off etc. you get the jist. The PC itself may cost a lot, but the games are at a very nice value and Steam has a huge audience, so never expect to be lonely in a multiplayer game.

Just think about it, but don't jump to a conclusion too quick or you will regret it.
I don't regret quick buys. I bought a 3DS instead of an XL, and even if its cramped for my huge hands, I appreciate how crisp the screen is compared to the stretch fest on the XL.

Well, you have a good chance of games on the 360/720 going on the PC, especially the first party ones (such as Fable, where the only ones that are unavailable are Fable 2 and Journey), so it's not an nonviable strategy to stick to the PC. That, and MS has been trying to integrate Live into most of their products (especially Windows 8)
Exaclty why I'm leaning more towards the PS3 now. I decided in under 20 minutes, but that's how most of them go. I also lack any faith for the future consoles, even if exclusives come.

machomuu
February 1st, 2013, 04:17 PM
I don't regret quick buys. I bought a 3DS instead of an XL, and even if its cramped for my huge hands, I appreciate how crisp the screen is compared to the stretch fest on the XL.
It's really not bad thanks to the increased dpi compared to the DSiXL. I might end up getting the 3DS again later when it's cheap, but the XL does provide a nice experience because of the increased dpi, so the stretch looks nice. Also, an added bonus is that DSiware loses the blur it had on the 3DS. Still, I'm glad Nintendo decided to make a 3DS and an XL without any additions in between, making it a matter of choice rather than a matter of which is better (which was a smart move on the publisher front).

Exactly why I'm leaning more towards the PS3 now. I decided in under 20 minutes, but that's how most of them go. I also lack any faith for the future consoles, even if exclusives come.
I'd say that I'm the same way. There's nothing that really has me excited about the new home consoles (except for the new Xeno game and SSB4). Hopefully E3 will change that, but even this generation I use my PC for most of my gaming purposes.

Evil Stud Muffin
February 1st, 2013, 04:29 PM
It's really not bad thanks to the increased dpi compared to the DSiXL. I might end up getting the 3DS again later when it's cheap, but the XL does provide a nice experience because of the increased dpi, so the stretch looks nice. Also, an added bonus is that DSiware loses the blur it had on the 3DS. Still, I'm glad Nintendo decided to make a 3DS and an XL without any additions in between, making it a matter of choice rather than a matter of which is better (which was a smart move on the publisher front).
The 3DS and Xl both have the same DPi, the bigger screens remedy nothing but the 3D range and the DS native resolution is basically the DSi. Its the one thing that had me going considering how I want to try everything the DS had, but the 3DS is fine enough. I hold it pretty far away from my face, like in my lap when sitting in a chair, so the smudginess is lost mostly.

I'd say that I'm the same way. There's nothing that really has me excited about the new home consoles (except for the new Xeno game and SSB4). Hopefully E3 will change that, but even this generation I use my PC for most of my gaming purposes.Exactly. This generation did have something going for it, but I considered the best time would be towards the end, like the PS2, which is around now I'm assuming.

Hmm, one thing I do not like about the next consoles is the idea and rumor that the next console will have subsidized versions, like a cable box. How would that work exactly? I mean if so, then wouldn't the non subsidized permanently yours console be severely hindered if they decide to give discount prices, or even a DRM method through it? And why would you pay for retail games for a console that's not your's, unless retail is going to take a back seat of sorts. Something tells me if this rumor does come out true, then the Americ centric focus Apple has(meaning here in Europe there are so many gimped features like the 360 as well) might carry over to them. I dunno if I'm liking this at all...

Diurno
February 3rd, 2013, 02:46 AM
Wait, let me get this straight; you have a PC. Getting a Wii U? Deciding between 360 or PS3?

I've kinda got lost in the conversation, so I was just trying to see where you were unless you have changed your mind and have decided on a console already.

Team Fail
February 3rd, 2013, 07:57 AM
I currently have a 360, and I don't find it too bad. I haven't made use of the online features in games, mostly because my disc drive is broken, but I don't find it all that bad. If I had a stronger PC though, I'd get back into PC gaming. Mine's just too old to be able to run newer games. And as for the WiiU, I really want that. Like, so much.

Oryx
February 3rd, 2013, 08:02 AM
Ugh I have so many PC games but when I'm on my PC I feel like I have to multitask - check websites, chat with people, etc. - so I never want to dedicate myself to just playing one game and closing out everything else.

Diurno
February 3rd, 2013, 08:02 AM
I didn't have anything to start PC gaming when I wanted to; so I just sold my Xbox + games to fund for it and some work chipped in finalized my funds. I do not regret selling my 360 for PC gaming at all. I find it so much better, Steam is more reliable than XBL and PSN and buying games are a lot easier, there's more of them, and there a lot of deals. I have a Wii U, however, so I do play that from time to time, and it's imminent that I will be getting the 720.

Mr Cat Dog
February 3rd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Steam does not like my PS3 controller. I went to the Apple Store to get it connected properly (after trying for hours to follow countless YouTube videos) and the Genius guy was pretty much in tears at the end because he couldn't get it to work. It recognised the controller, but clicking left on the D-Pad paused the game and the P in the middle made the whole thing go crazy, and the analog sticks wouldn't work! Fun times! Looks like I'll be sticking to WASD movement in the not-too-distant future... -_-

But I probably will get Ni no Kuni at some point. Mainly because of Ghibli, but mainly when it drops in price. £50 is hella expensive! (Never bought a PS3 game before... thank you housemate for having one! :D)

Diurno
February 3rd, 2013, 09:39 AM
I would just get a 360 controller for Steam if I were you. I know it would feel weird adjusting to using both controllers, but you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Yeah, Ni no Kuni isn't a cheap game; I would've had it now but there are other things I want/need to pay for at the moment unfortunately.

Oryx
February 3rd, 2013, 09:49 AM
I heard it's amazing though. When I went to go get Tales of the Abyss the Gamestop guy was raving about it.

Spinosaurus
February 3rd, 2013, 10:47 AM
Can't you just install MotionInJoy to use the Sixaxis? I heard it works wonder if you want to play PC games with a PS3 controller. That said, though, is there really any reason to when the 360 controller is superior unless you don't have one or if you want to play a game that benefits from a d-pad? (Fighting games, which are better with arcade sticks anyway, and Rayman Origins are the only games I could think of..)

I only wanted Ni No Kuni because of Studio Ghibli's involvement, but I felt like dropping 50€ on unproven (to me) JRPG is a bit tad much. I'd rather wait for a price drop or some sort of anime movie of it. Still love the artstyle, and I want to support the game, but NOT 50€.

Been on Ace Attorney mood lately. Replaying the original at the moment and...gonna leave it at that when I'm finished. To be frank I don't like any other game in the series except for Investigation, which I should also get to replaying it. (Dammit Capcom localize the sequel!) Here's hoping 5 doesn't disappoint.

Oryx
February 3rd, 2013, 11:06 AM
I want want want Phoenix Wright vs. Professor Layton. So bad. :( WHY JAPAN

Spinosaurus
February 3rd, 2013, 11:10 AM
To be honest I heard quite some negative things on that game from importers that killed my hype. Maybe it never was the cross over that was meant to be...

Would still give it a try if it's localized, but I don't care about it anymore. Or import it myself when I get a japanese 3DS, but my Japanese skills still have a long way to go for a game with that much dialog.

Diurno
February 3rd, 2013, 12:01 PM
I'm one to stay away from Japanese games, however high the hype may be. First and foremost I don't know Japanese so buying a game would be stupid as I wouldn't even understand it. If all Jap games were like Ni no Kuni, or translated to English and sold in England, then I would probably have a pile of them in my room somewhere.

machomuu
February 3rd, 2013, 12:26 PM
I'm one to stay away from Japanese games, however high the hype may be. First and foremost I don't know Japanese so buying a game would be stupid as I wouldn't even understand it. If all Jap games were like Ni no Kuni, or translated to English and sold in England, then I would probably have a pile of them in my room somewhere.
Wait...are you talking about Japanese games or games solely in Japanese?

Oryx
February 3rd, 2013, 12:26 PM
I tend not to read reviews, but then again I barely get things when they're release anyway, only Pokemon games which I already love so it doesn't matter much cause I'll like them no matter what. Usually I'll wait till some of my friends have it before I buy things.

machomuu
February 3rd, 2013, 12:30 PM
I tend not to read reviews, but then again I barely get things when they're release anyway, only Pokemon games which I already love so it doesn't matter much cause I'll like them no matter what. Usually I'll wait till some of my friends have it before I buy things.
I read reviews, but only for entertainment (and as of recently, to better the writing and structure in my own reviews). I base the chance that I will buy a game on what I have experienced beforehand, such as making inferences from videos and images and through reading about features. I'm usually the guy that works as a game guide for my friends, so they don't end up buying or not buying things because "IGN said it was good/bad."

Diurno
February 3rd, 2013, 12:35 PM
I was talking about both..really.

I read reviews only after I play a game, because most of time, I've found that reviews make me dislike a game because they like to pick out the bad stuff at the end of the review and it's like a bad aftertaste. Personally, I think it's better to get your own opinion on the game and see how others see the game.

Oryx
February 3rd, 2013, 12:40 PM
That's true (also they tend to affect your view of things, you read a lot of bad reviews for a game, you're less likely to like it), but then how do you decide what to buy?

Spinosaurus
February 3rd, 2013, 12:42 PM
Disregarding a game because of the region it came from is ridiculous. I am sure you mean games in Japanese however, in which case I suppose I agree for now until I progress further in Japanese classes. Literally the only game in Japanese I have is Rhythm Tengoku, but I am thinking of importing both Ouendan games and Densetsu no Starfy 3. None of these require reading to fully appreciate the game, except for maybe the latter but it's perfectly suited for someone like me because the writing is easy to understand...from what I saw, at least.

I read reviews, but I don't use them as a base for a purchase. I do read them for references, however, because they give me the information I need provided they're not factually wrong. I also read them for entertainment purposes from time to time, especially of games I'm currently playing.

I avoid reviews of AAA games though, or games that are guaranteed to have high scores just for the sake of money. For example, I wouldn't read a Halo 4 review because I already know what I'm gonna expect anyway, but I would read a Donkey Kong Jungle Climber review because it's an obscure and kind of a niche game.

That's true (also they tend to affect your view of things, you read a lot of bad reviews for a game, you're less likely to like it), but then how do you decide what to buy?
Videos, reading information on it, recommendations, trailers, impressions, etc if it's a game I'm unfamiliar about. Of course, a review provides most of these already, so I think it's best to read different reviews. I also know a forum that has impressions to note if I want a game.

If it was negative all around, then I'd avoid.

Diurno
February 3rd, 2013, 12:49 PM
That's true (also they tend to affect your view of things, you read a lot of bad reviews for a game, you're less likely to like it), but then how do you decide what to buy?Either a game is a sequel to a game I already love, that's the case for a lot of the games I buy. When it falls to games like Ni no Kuni, you have people like Spino breathing down your back and forcing you to get it; that's when you know a game is good. I always look at screenshots and just read about a game before purchase and make sure I like it. This isn't the case with too many games since I don't really dislike many games.

I am sure you mean games in Japanese however, in which case I suppose I agree for now until I progress further in Japanese classes.
Yeah. I would never disregard a game just because of it's region, that's always a bad move.

machomuu
February 3rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Yeah. I would never disregard a game just because of it's region, that's always a bad move.
A move a lot of modern western gamers seem to go with, though. Luckily, with time, Japanese games are becoming popular again over here, and the popularity of games like Ni no Kuni and Persona 4 Golden have given me hope that that line of thought will cease.

Diurno
February 3rd, 2013, 01:50 PM
Ni no Kuni is the first Japanese game since a long time (except Pokemon) to be released in England locally. We don't really get much Japanese games at all, to be fair, which is a shame. I would really like to get in to JRPGs and whatnot and Ni no Kuni is a great way to start. Hopefully, Persona 4 Golden will be released here, that and Ni no Kuni are the only Japanese games at the moment to have a release date in England so I can only hope that more Japanese games will start to get released here.

Spinosaurus
February 3rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
In a long time? Unless you're talking strictly JRPGs, at least Fire Emblem Awakening (technically an SRPG) and Persona 4 Golden are coming shortly enough. I'm sure there's a lot more but....I'm not informed with JRPGs.

Diurno
February 3rd, 2013, 11:16 PM
Ahh, I forgot about Fire Emblem, yeah that's due for release in England here. I did mention Persona 4 Golden in my previous post. But we really don't get much Japanese games released locally in England generally.

vaporeon7
February 4th, 2013, 04:01 AM
The only time I'll base a purchase decision off a review is if it gets constant really bad reviews everywhere. For example, Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade and how it got 11/100 on Metacritic... yeah I think that's a fair sign not to buy it.

Cordelia
February 4th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Anyone like phone/tablet games? I've been playing Plague Inc. a lot lately and I just beat Clear Vision yesterday... lol. Work has been very slow!

Evil Stud Muffin
February 4th, 2013, 04:08 PM
I'm a huge fan of the old school Java games, but that's about it. I still have a W995 to play all the old stuff, and whatever poor releases gameloft comes out with. Its a shame that its a dead platform, kind of like the SNES after the N64. Pretty solid stuff, and I love playing the original asphalt in all its boxy glory. Otherwise, nah, never owned a smartphone, but if I do, I guess I would like em.

Denny Hamlin
February 5th, 2013, 06:28 PM
I'm more into emulating games on my phone. I gotta have my old-school Pokemon or Super Mario in there in case I get bored in class or anywhere!

Oh, and I do have Angry Birds in there as an actual smartphone game. Juuuust in case.

Team Fail
February 5th, 2013, 07:32 PM
I have my AceKard with me in my DS in my backpack whenever I need it. I emulate my games on there when I have some time.

machomuu
February 5th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I usually carry my handhelds around with me, so I don't use my phone for games. With that said, I don't own a smartphone, but I am very interested in the Android title "Guilty Dragon" by Cyber Connect 2.

Evil Stud Muffin
February 6th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Talking about handhelds, I just noticed my 3DS has the screen scratches of doom. Only thing is, its not on the bottom screen. Oh no, this is something more notorious. I have 2 streaks of the exact same length on the top screen exactly where the bottom screen's plastic border is. My bottom screen is only rubbed by the stylus, but the pristine top screen is ruined forever. Not to mention it breaks the 3D a lot, ruining the magical gimmick of the console forever.
Edit: Next gen might just be a train wreck waiting to happen after all!
http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/
Basically, always online, no second hand games for the neXbox. Couple this rumor with the set top box rumor, and we have the worst possible situation forming up quite nicely. Have Sony do the same, and next gen is possibly gonna be the final straw. Good lord can I not wait for the meltdowns...

Spinosaurus
February 6th, 2013, 06:29 AM
It's a piss poor design decision by Nintendo. My 3DS has scratches as well, and while they disappear if I rub them, they get more obvious by the day, and it's quite annoying. And the worst thing? 3DS XL has the same exact problem, even after it caused a controversy with the original. Get your **** together, Nintendo.

Good god I might stick with Wii U only or get a PC next gen if Sony is doing the same. I'm done with Microsoft's awful practices.

Evil Stud Muffin
February 6th, 2013, 06:38 AM
The XL has em too? I thought they fixed em. Now I'm really concerned about Nintendo's build quality as of late. All of my consoles up until the 3DS from Nintendo have excellent build quality, nothing faulty about them. The 3DS was really piss poor in that department, and the fact that the XL doesn't do anything is quite sad.

Do remember its just a rumor, but it does seem likely that MS can do something like that. Oh and you can bet on Sony doing something equally devious, as MS isn't dumb enough to pull a stunt like that without knowing Sony is too. The risk is too great to be competing with a Sony who isn't doing those kind of moves as well, which is why I speculate Next Gen is going to be the generation that will be the generation gaming went down like the Hindenburg.

Kura
February 6th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Ouendan in japanese is definitely fun and its not really language based so you have no problem playing it. Another alternative is to find games that are patched, for example.. tales of innocence never got brought over but there is a fanmade english patch. Totally worth it and not illegal ; 3

.EJ
February 6th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Hmm, my 3DS does the exact same thing. I don't bother wiping it because they come back. I think whenever I get Fire Emblem and Pokemon X then I'll actually clean.

Kura
February 6th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I got screen protectors for mine.I would say the biggest thing i dislike about the 3Ds is the region lock on it. Argh nintendo, why!!!!??? Lol

Spinosaurus
February 6th, 2013, 09:37 AM
I had two but I got unlucky with BOTH of them, so I only have a screen protector for the bottom screen. Although...I did buy another one recently. Third time's the charm, I suppose? I'm gonna try it after a hot shower so no air or dust will come in. That is, if I don't forget about it today, again.

Region locking is my biggest gripe with the 3DS, too. But as of now, there is pretty much no Japanese-only game that I want, so I'm loving the system.

.EJ
February 6th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Yea, maybe I should consider a screen protector for it. What color did you guys pick for your 3DS?

Mine's red.

Spinosaurus
February 6th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Launch day (Europe) Aqua Blue. Would have preferred purple, but I got to play the best game ever in a GREAT screen (Wario Land 4) as an ambassador so it more than makes up for it. That, and Aqua Blue is the next best one imo. Don't like all other colors, unfortunately.

I might invest in a white 3DS XL later however. That larger screen is soo tempting.

.EJ
February 6th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I waited for the Red version and once it was out I definitely went ahead and bought it. I won't be getting the XL unless my original breaks or something. I absolutely love the size and design of the original 3DS...albeit the scratches.

Evil Stud Muffin
February 6th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I have the white one, which makes it doubling frustrating, as its the one which has the lowest percentile of scratch thanks to poor manufacturing.
Edit: Just had my 3D epiphany moment, omg. Downloaded Nintendo Video, and watched all the available videos. My god. I only have Bit Trip Saga for 3DS games, and this really made me noticed its brilliance, much more then BTS. The subtlety is amazing, and the way it truly pops out at that perfect moment...

machomuu
February 6th, 2013, 03:55 PM
My original was Black, and my XL (which I just noticed has scratches on the Touch Screen and two dead pixels) is red. I was going for blue, with the latter, but they were out at the time, and I really didn't feel like waiting. I've grown to love the red color, though. The scratches are hard to notice, if not almost invisible, when playing anything, and the dead pixels...
Well, I've been trying to ignore them, and one is easy to do so, but the other is hard to miss. It's been bothering me during Fire Emblem cutscenes, especially in 3D. I might get my screens replaced, if it comes down to it.

Also...I'd be disappointed if both Sony and M$ went no used games. I'm already a little set against buying the non-Nintendo systems since, well, I have a gaming PC and except for the exclusives (which there are very few of with MS, so I'll be fine without that), I'm just getting less and less incentives to buy these systems :/ I mean, I probably will buy them- or at least the PS4, but so far there really hasn't been any reason for hype. We'll see, though; I won't buy into the rumors, and I'll stay hopeful.

Oh, and since it was mentioned, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! 1 and especially 2 are DEFINITELY worth playing, they're among my favorite rhythm games. Elite Beat Agents is great as well, and I definitely recommend those three and Osu! (http://osu.ppy.sh/)

Oryx
February 6th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Yeah I got a blue one and the purple came out very soon after and purple's my favorite color and that makes me sad. :(

Thinking of doing a text/image based LP. Can't decide what on though.

machomuu
February 6th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Yeah I got a blue one and the purple came out very soon after and purple's my favorite color and that makes me sad. :(

Do Lion King SNES. You know you want to.

Kura
February 6th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I had two but I got unlucky with BOTH of them, so I only have a screen protector for the bottom screen. Although...I did buy another one recently. Third time's the charm, I suppose? I'm gonna try it after a hot shower so no air or dust will come in. That is, if I don't forget about it today, again.

Region locking is my biggest gripe with the 3DS, too. But as of now, there is pretty much no Japanese-only game that I want, so I'm loving the system.

For me, it's dumb because I bought my console when I was back in Canada but now I moved to the UK so I have to import any new games I want. Plus even those download points codes don't even work! Can you believe they region locked even those?!

To me, Osu! is MILES better than elite beat agents.. I dunno if its just the tap placement or what!

Oryx
February 6th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Do Lion King SNES. You know you want to.

Oh god I can't. I have it on my computer but I just can't. I wouldn't be able to beat it at ALL.

Evil Stud Muffin
February 6th, 2013, 05:15 PM
That giraffe level right? Its always that giraffe level. And if you live in the UK, why would you buy a US 3DS? It was mentioned from the beginning that region lock exists, so you would want to hold out on buying one till in the UK. Unless you recently moved there, which yeah, region lock sucks..

machomuu
February 6th, 2013, 05:52 PM
You just reminded me! There aren't really any exclusives that are not US available that are currently announced...except for the Inazuma Eleven Collection. It was bad enough that the IE games didn't come over to the states (which is slightly ironic, since Level-5 is usually the type to bring their games over), but a remake collection of all 3 games, the third of which was never released outside of Japan...it breaks my heart ;_;

Evil Stud Muffin
February 6th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Yeah, thanks for reminding me that Level 5 not only is a jerk if they don't give us Vs Ace Attorney, and Fantasy Life, but now I have to deal with disappointment for Inazuma Eleven Collection. Gotta go sulk in a corner now...

Team Fail
February 6th, 2013, 09:14 PM
That giraffe level right? Its always that giraffe level. And if you live in the UK, why would you buy a US 3DS? It was mentioned from the beginning that region lock exists, so you would want to hold out on buying one till in the UK. Unless you recently moved there, which yeah, region lock sucks..

That recent news break on the potential hacking of the 3DS might just toss the ideas of region lock out the window. I hope.

Mochi
February 6th, 2013, 09:32 PM

That happened to me!! I got the black 3DS and the pink one came out right after. It bummed me out quite a bit.

But, traded it in for a blue 3DS XL last summer, and I'm glad I did. I LOVE this thing, even though a week after I got it I wasn't thinking and put it in my backpack pocket with my keys, so now the gorgeous blue finish is scratched... ;n;

The huge screens are definitely tempting though, my best friend's younger brother as an original 3DS and when I went over their house and he was playing it a while ago, it seemed so tiny in comparison.

My DS Lite seems like a mini DS now, ahaha.

Also I've been somewhat tempted to do Let's Plays, too... It's an idea I've entertained doing for a few years but the most I ever did with it is like 1-2 uploads of a Pokemon playthrough on my computer lmao. Ideally, I'd love to do playthroughs of games I play on my PS3 like BioShock and Mirror's Edge, but I just don't have the hardware for it and I'm not sure if it's something I'd want to invest in.

Team Fail
February 6th, 2013, 09:33 PM
I was doing an image-based LP, but it was becoming really difficult to do. I might make it into a video-based one here later on.

Evil Stud Muffin
February 7th, 2013, 05:07 AM
That recent news break on the potential hacking of the 3DS might just toss the ideas of region lock out the window. I hope.
I dunno, Nintendo's pretty keen on keeping the 3DS piracy free. Not to mention I really don't want piracy cause it will keep us on our toes for X/Y.

Denny Hamlin
February 7th, 2013, 05:16 AM
A let's play was something I had plans to do. I wanted to do one on Super Mario since its one game I can actually complete without penalty/messing up whatsoever XD I hope to make that happen very soon. (woo! rage!)

Evil Stud Muffin
February 7th, 2013, 05:25 AM
Huh.
http://gematsu.com/2013/02/nikkei-ps4-to-utilize-gaikai-have-expanded-social-features
Apparently the PS4 won't have cell. Which means, in the short run, BC won't be possible on some level, even digitally it would be a pain. I'm assuming your digital buys would likely go to Gaikai to play them, but that creates the issue if you have to rebuy them. So on one front the Xbox 720 would have an online DRM infrastructure, and no used games like the PS4 likely will as well, and on the PS4 you have no PS3 BC. I gotta say, this corner the consumer is being put into is a pretty tight one if it all comes out true, and I personally am looking at this from a pretty far distance, but I do see the madness that will come from all this.

.EJ
February 7th, 2013, 06:59 AM
I don't see a necessity to buy into the next consoles...I think I'll be saving my money and buying a PC.

Hmmm I got more than enough money to buy Fire Emblem for 3DS but I'm also busy with school...idk what to do.

Spinosaurus
February 7th, 2013, 10:33 AM
For me, it's dumb because I bought my console when I was back in Canada but now I moved to the UK so I have to import any new games I want. Plus even those download points codes don't even work! Can you believe they region locked even those?!

To me, Osu! is MILES better than elite beat agents.. I dunno if its just the tap placement or what!
Yeah you just reminded me why region locking is gonna be a BIG problem for me... :( Best to get a US XL, then.

Really? I've heard that EBA is a better game than Ouendan because it fixed some flaws and had better tap placements. I don't know anything about Ouendan 2 though, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was better. One thing I really like about EBA is how it "westernizes" the anime/manga artstyle, and that's something I find completely charming and unforgettable...more hilarious, even. (That Duke Nukem parody level had me good.) There's just something completely special about it. That, and I find Japanese songs forgettable, whereas EBA has some songs I really like. (Canned Heat, Let's Dance and September, to name some.)

I'll probably import both of them down the road later though, as EBA is my favorite DS game. Not really my favorite rhythm game though, as I think the Rhythm Heaven series is better, but they're completely different beasts, despite seeing them mentioned together a lot.

I actually want to do a Let's Play of Donkey Kong Country Returns (100%. 200% is too brutal even for me.) but that'd require better equipments, so eh. I might stick with commentary-less videos. (It's better for my videos about EBA, for example.)

Evil Stud Muffin
February 8th, 2013, 11:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bzyBIJUSYbg
Lego City Undercover trailer. Man is this going to be great. I mean, jet powered snow plows? Count me in!

Denny Hamlin
February 8th, 2013, 03:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bzyBIJUSYbg
Lego City Undercover trailer. Man is this going to be great. I mean, jet powered snow plows? Count me in!

Never played any of the Lego games, but this looks frickin sweeeeeeet! I love how this has so much action. Maybe I might come around and buy it just to try it out.

Evil Stud Muffin
February 9th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Man oh man did I hit the jackpot. Found this place that sells PS2 games on the cheap, 2-3 euros each, and I found some literal steals. Got Klonoa 2, Black, Rygar, SoTC, Blood Omen 2, Soul Reaver 2, DMC3 SE, Dark Chronicle, Silent Hill 2, and Simpson's Hit and Run for about 30 euros total. Black is nothing special, but I wanted to at least have one FPS for when I'm in the mood for one, and it seemed like a great choice, and is. All the other games are amazing of course, especially Klonoa 2. It seems short, I'm in Volk City, but I do believe with Marett's House the replay factor will kick in for that 100%. Blood Omen too is also nothing amazing, but its not as bad as the reviews cited it to be. Its got a nice tone to it, and the steampunk feel it has to it is pretty cool. Gonna eventually post reviews for all 10, as I have no camera for any LP's.

Cerberus87
February 9th, 2013, 03:13 AM
I dunno, Nintendo's pretty keen on keeping the 3DS piracy free. Not to mention I really don't want piracy cause it will keep us on our toes for X/Y.

Nintendo has always been at the forefront of anti-piracy. The main reason the N64 had cartridges (and flopped to some extent) was that the N64 carts were damn hard to counterfeit, unlike the SNES for example. All my N64 carts are original US region copies. Meanwhile Sony enjoyed huge success in Third World countries because the PSX CDs were very easy to copy and a pirated one was insanely cheap. This is the biggest reason why I don't respect Sony to this day, I like hacking but their consoles are always the easiest to hack and have the most hacks available to them.

This being said, Nintendo is sometimes really paranoid. Region-locking sucks. And I don't have reservations against buying a Sony console these days, although the main reason I'm holding back is that I love car games and Forza Motorsport from Microsoft has been much superior to Gran Turismo series judging by their latest entries (FM4 and GT5).

Evil Stud Muffin
February 9th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Okay, need quick help. Went back to that place with the PS2 games, and I'm gonna buy 1 more game that I can afford, I just can't choose. Do I go for Maximo or Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter? I'm already in the middle of DQVIII, FFXII, and Dark Chronicle is slowly eating time, so I'm wondering if I should commit to one more RPG or let myself have a game for down time, and have a good playthrough of what has to be a somewhat great hack n' slash. I mean both are gonna be owned by me at some point, I just don't know if BoF is a good choice with those RPG's already taking up time.

machomuu
February 9th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Man oh man did I hit the jackpot. Found this place that sells PS2 games on the cheap, 2-3 euros each, and I found some literal steals. Got Klonoa 2, Black, Rygar, SoTC, Blood Omen 2, Soul Reaver 2, DMC3 SE, Dark Chronicle, Silent Hill 2, and Simpson's Hit and Run for about 30 euros total. Black is nothing special, but I wanted to at least have one FPS for when I'm in the mood for one, and it seemed like a great choice, and is. All the other games are amazing of course, especially Klonoa 2. It seems short, I'm in Volk City, but I do believe with Marett's House the replay factor will kick in for that 100%. Blood Omen too is also nothing amazing, but its not as bad as the reviews cited it to be. Its got a nice tone to it, and the steampunk feel it has to it is pretty cool. Gonna eventually post reviews for all 10, as I have no camera for any LP's.
You don't know how much I envy you right now ;_;

Okay, need quick help. Went back to that place with the PS2 games, and I'm gonna buy 1 more game that I can afford, I just can't choose. Do I go for Maximo or Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter? I'm already in the middle of DQVIII, FFXII, and Dark Chronicle is slowly eating time, so I'm wondering if I should commit to one more RPG or let myself have a game for down time, and have a good playthrough of what has to be a somewhat great hack n' slash. I mean both are gonna be owned by me at some point, I just don't know if BoF is a good choice with those RPG's already taking up time.
Go Maximo. You have a good number of RPGs and a good number of action games, but DQVIII, FFXII, and Dark Cloud 2 (Dark Chronicle) are pretty lengthy and pretty extensive RPGs, so they'll take up more time than your action games will. I say go with Maximo in this case.