PDA

View Full Version : Nail Biting

Antemortem
January 3rd, 2013, 11:02 PM
Are you a frequent nail biter? If so, when do you do it most often? How long have you been doing it? Have you tried to break the habit?

Playful_Weasel
January 3rd, 2013, 11:21 PM
Yes, I do every day, 99% of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it at first, after a while 10 minutes later I'm thinking to myself "Why am I doing this in public, embarrassing" - not sure how it started, but I know that it has to be over 15 years now.

I tried to quit but I just seem that I cannot, as I mentioned, I just do it without thinking. Tried many suggestions to quit, they only work for about two hours and back to nail biting all over again.

I bite my finger nails at least 5 times an hour, only when I'm awake.

pikakitten
January 4th, 2013, 02:33 AM
Yes, I do every day, 99% of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it at first, after a while 10 minutes later I'm thinking to myself "Why am I doing this in public, embarrassing" - not sure how it started, but I know that it has to be over 15 years now.

I tried to quit but I just seem that I cannot, as I mentioned, I just do it without thinking. Tried many suggestions to quit, they only work for about two hours and back to nail biting all over again.

I bite my finger nails at least 5 times an hour, only when I'm awake.

Summed it up for me I think, I tried looking up suggestions but none of them are permanent, I eventually found out that apparently it's an OCD, ironically I was biting my nails when I came across this thread xD

Sora
January 4th, 2013, 02:52 AM
Nope. I don't bite my nails. I do, however, tear them when they are long enough for me to do so. Therefore, my nails are always uneven and short, especially if I rip them too close to the edge of my finger.

Kura
January 4th, 2013, 06:04 AM
I used to bite my nails but i think it came about because i needed them to be perfectly smooth and even at all times. I guess its sorta obsessive in a sense. I stopped when i began filing my nails instead of clipping them and i always carry a filer around inmy handbag in case a nail begins to bother me.

Overlord Drakow
January 4th, 2013, 06:25 AM
I don't do this but I used to rip my nails off when I was younger.

Arago
January 4th, 2013, 06:41 AM
I've never bitten my nails.

Talli
January 4th, 2013, 06:54 AM
I am not a nail biter and never have, it just feels wrong to me.

Lokiepie
January 4th, 2013, 07:06 AM
I got through stages, I bite my nails for a bit then I stop and my nails grow, then I start again. Usually do it when thinking or exams are coming up :P like now

⊗Slenderman⊗
January 4th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I don't bite my nails. However, when they tear, I rip them off the rest of the way. It really grosses out my family.

Aquanova
January 4th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I bit my nails a lot when I was younger, it was a really bad habit, then I just stopped and got out of the habit and I almost never bite my nails anymore.

Sylphiel
January 4th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I'm a horrible, horrible nail biter. Have been ever since I was a kid. Unfortunately, most attempts I've made to stop it have ended in failure, since it's something I do both when I'm nervous and when I'm bored. :( So yeah.

Codaq
January 4th, 2013, 01:31 PM
I got through stages, I bite my nails for a bit then I stop and my nails grow, then I start again. Usually do it when thinking or exams are coming up :P like now

That's called "nail farming" :cheeky:. I'be bitten my nails when I was younger, but I lost that bad habit. Now I have one that's even worse: eat my cuticles...

Cosmotone8
January 4th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Yes, I've been biting my nails for a long time now. Never really tried to break the habit though.

Brendino
January 4th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Ever since I was young, I absolutely hated nail clippers, so I would just bite off my fingernails instead. I still do it to this day, not as a habit, but just as an alternative to nail clippers.

Sheep
January 4th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I used to but stopped years ago. It's kind of a disgusting habit to think about for me so that eventually put me off from biting completely. D:

Aeon
January 4th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I used to, but into high school I realized it was kind of nasty so I just clip on the a somewhat routinely basis now.

Sammi
January 4th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I don't. Typically I don't touch my nails until they're so long I have to clip them.

I pick at the hangnails? on the sides instead. >___>

Gideon Jeremiah
January 4th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Unfortunately, yes.
I used to get incredibly stressed when my various illnesses would act up (primarily pain from the Lung issues & a minor bout with severe tinnitus, as well as long-term Synaesthesia.)

At one point, I would actually chew most of the flesh off of my right-hand, before realizing I was even doing it.

I still bite my nails on occasion, but covering them with cayenne & lemon juice usually keeps me away for a few days.

Cadance
January 4th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I used to bite my nails a lot when I was a little girl. Then I kinda stopped when I started middle school. At that time I only bite my nails when I get really nervous. Afterwards I broke the habit and used nail clippers instead.

CarcharOdin
January 4th, 2013, 05:30 PM
I still bite my nails. Teeth are just much more convenient than a nail clipper, not to mention they're always on hand...or in mouth...whatever.

I do, however, clip my toe nails with a clipper.

Skylands
January 4th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I've bitten my nails for as long as I can remember. There have been periods where I'd stop for a few months or so, then start back up again. I do not bite my nails based on a specific time or event, I just unconsciously do it.

outfox
January 4th, 2013, 05:42 PM
eat my cuticles...
a Codaq moment.

I chew my nails until it hurts to, especially when I'm nervous. I have really thick nails so it's a challenge and a joy. I've also used the edges of my teeth as a nail file numerous times.

PokéZoom
January 5th, 2013, 12:05 PM
No, no, no. I have never bitten my nails in my life and never will. It's disgusting in my opinion.

Brynjolf
January 5th, 2013, 02:14 PM
I used to bite my nails constantly. Ended up with gums of a 60-year-old. And now my two front bottom teeth are worn down. I don't bite my nails anymore. My gums are saggy now below those teeth.

Now I understand how bad it is for you, and how gross it is (considering all the dirt under nails..).

Major Ziggs
January 5th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I bite my nails when I'm nervous or bored, it's become quite an annoying habit. But it makes guitar playing easier when you have short nails all the time so I'm not too bothered, it just leads to some awkward social situations whilst sat in a room biting my nails with people around hehe.

Katholic Nun
January 9th, 2013, 05:54 AM
I've never bitten or chewed my nails, and I don't understand how people begin that habit. My nails are fantastic though I keep forgetting to cut them which means they grow longer than is really appropriate for a boy :P

curiousnathan
January 9th, 2013, 06:14 AM
I bite my nails so severely that they probably shorter than half a centimetre. I don't do it because I'm nervous, or hungry, but mainly when I'm bored.

Zebeedoo
January 9th, 2013, 05:27 PM
i used to do it, like a LOT... but then i got braces when i was 15 and that stopped me biting them, cause i wasn't able to. i havent bit my nails since and now they grow incredibly long. X'D but it's easier to paint them when they're longer. :p

PlatinumDude
January 10th, 2013, 02:54 PM
I've never bitten my nails before and I'll never bite my nails throughout my life because this makes them look bad.

Penta Penguin
January 11th, 2013, 04:29 PM
I've never bitten my nails, I wonder what causes people to do that. My question is, how do people bite off parts of their nails? I think if I tried it, I wouldn't even get through it.

Hikamaru
January 12th, 2013, 12:27 AM
I bite my nails a lot, cos I easily get stressed.

If one looks at my nails you'll notice how short they look.

Seki
January 12th, 2013, 12:46 AM
I don't, but I don't mind people who bite their nails.

Urugamosu
January 12th, 2013, 02:16 AM
Is it strange that I was actually biting them when I saw this thread?

And yes, I do it at random times, mostly out of boredom.

Autumn Reverie
January 12th, 2013, 02:22 AM
I don't bite them, never did and never will. There are lots of questions I ask those who do in my head: Don't you care about the health of your nails? About the residue of your bitten nails in your digestive system? About the condition of your teeth? Yeah, I understand it might be a nervous habit or out of boredom, but there are other things to chew on besides your nails right..? Anyways, yeah. Just my thoughts.

TornZero
January 12th, 2013, 02:49 AM
I used to (as in, until last September or October) bite my nails constantly out of a compulsive grooming habit that left the poor things as stubs — it definitely wasn't an anxiety or boredom issue, considering I'd be playing Battlefield and chew my nails still, and I'm currently going through a very nervous part of my life. After that I'd just chew away at the cuticles until I couldn't use my fingers due to the pain. I hid my hands whenever I had the chance, too; try to keep people from seeing them.

But I've almost entirely stopped, and the actual biting is miniscule — I manage to catch myself and stop without a problem, though I can't help but feel the urge whenever I don't have a nail file on hand. I started painting my nails, grew them out enough to file them into a smooth curve, and now they're all nice and pretty. (Really long, too.)

Cherrim
January 12th, 2013, 09:49 AM
I used to bite my nails as a kid and then graduated to sort of trying to file/tear them down with my teeth if they were bugging me. Sounds weird but makes sense in my head okay? ;_;' So I don't technically bite my nails anymore but I still quite often have to deal with short nails because of my actions.

Since I started painting my nails fairly regularly, though, I've had way fewer problems because the polish keeps the nails from snagging/damaging so often and I'm so much less likely to mess them up when it'll mess up the polish too. :P

Mr Cat Dog
January 17th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Yeeeeeeeah, no. Like, not at all. I've never seen the appeal in biting nails: they presumably taste weird and the biting can't make them look at all presentable. And I don't really want to put my fingers in my mouth unless I'm eating fast food or a sandwich or something! When I get stressed and such, I'll fidget and tap my fingers on tables, but biting nails has never really entered into the equation for me.

♣Gawain♣
January 17th, 2013, 04:41 AM
Yup, this is the time you all will be honest about :) And yes I do nailbite, but not toenails!

dcjboi
January 17th, 2013, 11:23 AM
I am a subconscious nail biter and I have been since I was 4. I even do so sometimes in my sleep and it is my addiction. Even when I try not to, it is just really hard to resist for more than a month.

TrainerTori
January 17th, 2013, 01:49 PM
*as I sit here biting my nails when I don't even realize it* ....

mine are bit to the quick, and I've been doing it my whole life. :/
I don't even realize myself doing until I'm bleeding V_V it's awful!

I also chew on plastic.
Pens and the little plastic rings around soda bottles being my worst habit

Sweets Witch
January 17th, 2013, 05:38 PM
I used to, but a few years ago I graduated to obsessive clipping. They stay the same length, but now I get to hear that satisfying click.

Mariah Carey
January 18th, 2013, 01:43 AM
Nope. I don't bite my nails. I do, however, tear them when they are long enough for me to do so. Therefore, my nails are always uneven and short, especially if I rip them too close to the edge of my finger.

This is me!!! I never understood how people could bite their nails, willingly or unconsciously!!! So gross, dirty, unhygienic, nasty, unclean, just all round ew!!!! Putting your MOST LIKELY UNCLEAN/NOT WASHED RECENTLY nails, harbingers of dirt and disease, into your mouth? I hope you people die of Ebola or something.

I tend to tear my nails whenever I'm in stress or when I'm bored, it gives me something to do to relieve the tension or pass the time. You can often see me picking at the top of the nail of my index fingers with my thumbs, and sometimes I do it if I want to appear disinterested, lol. But yeah, biting your nails? Dirty, disgusting people.

Hannah
January 19th, 2013, 03:29 AM
ewwww noooo ewwww nail biting ewwww

Based on that first sentence, do you think I bite my nails? Yes. No.

Correspondence
January 19th, 2013, 04:18 AM
I don't think i've ever done that.So, no.

François
January 21st, 2013, 12:34 PM
I've been a nailbiter for.... 5-7 years, I think. I can't quite remember how I started (I would love to know why) but I do know it's something my mother has been doing for decades, so perhaps I picked it up from her. I have tried to stop over the years and failed, but then about a week ago I thought to myself "hmm, they aren't overly aesthetically pleasing" and just... stopped. I filed them down so there weren't any rough edges to annoy me and now like an earlier poster in the thread I carry a file around (although for me it's only in school, I assume I'll be too busy to be nailbiting anywhere else). I'm trying to grow them out a tad now (not to any excessive length but even a millimetre of white would be nice!) but it's proving annoyingly difficult to get them all to a similar length. Yes, I am a very masculine person.

daigonite
January 21st, 2013, 10:07 PM
I don't nail bite. Instead, I

-twirl hair
-chew up wires and pens
-pull back hair
-suck on my fingers
-gnaw on my joints
-push my eyes in
-mess with my eyelashes
-pinch myself
-shake leg
-tap finger
ect.

I do a lot of things so yeah. Usually I don't notice until I've been doing it for a while though. lol

Caelus
January 21st, 2013, 10:37 PM
I bite my nails all the time. I used to never do it growing up but since I started high school it has become a habit for me. I try to stop but every time I make an attempt to stop biting my nails I end up biting them when I'm nervous without even realizing it.

Yoshikkko
January 26th, 2013, 02:44 PM
I don't bite my nails but I bite my skin which is an even worse habit that I'm desperately trying to break, but it's very addicting. I've been doing it since I can remember, and I don't think I've ever had all of my fingers wound free at the same time haha.

Vital
January 26th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Never bitten my nails. And to be frank, I find it disgusting when people do. I mean, you touch so much stuff...