PDA

View Full Version : Can you read music?

Squirrel
January 10th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Simple question; are you able to read music? If so, what made you want to learn? Do you prefer using music sheets (http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/167/3/b/piano_sheet__plug_in_baby_pg_1_by_music_is_lovely-d3j24i0.png) or tabs (http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/justin_bieber/baby_tab.htm)? What makes you prefer one style of reading over the other?

For me, tabs are much easier to read as I've used them since I first learnt to play the guitar due to my music teacher not actually being able read sheet music (I know :p) so I'm used to the reading style, but I can read sheet music too given a few minutes. Sheet music tends to be a bit more detailed with how exactly to play the music, but I prefer the convenience of tabs. One thing I've always wanted to be able to do is play music by ear but there's a long way to go before reaching that stage haha.

EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FOOD in their FACE! (Man I hope that's a world-wide mnemonic or I'm about to little pretty stupid!)

Oryx
January 10th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I was in band in middle school so I know how to read music. I can read tab too, but that's only useful if you already know the rhythm so I like having the combination of rhythm and music. Tbh I'm a little holier-than-thou when it comes to tabs vs. music - kind of like the difference between reading a book for a book report and reading the Sparknotes.

Edit: Every Good Band Does Fine is what I learned. >_o

Tman109ner
January 10th, 2013, 08:04 PM
I can't but I've always wanted to. I sing a lot so learning off the sheet would be a whole lot easier then learning by ear.

outfox
January 10th, 2013, 09:56 PM
I play by ear only, and I've come up with my own ghetto system for writing songs. I was taught to read at a very young age but I failed to retain the knowledge. :( I've been successful at teaching piano before, imagine what I could do if I could actually read music! One of these days I'll start educating myself on music theory so I can make a career out of my skills in music.

Penta Penguin
January 11th, 2013, 05:01 PM
I can read music, as well as understand the note lengths, like Crotchet, Quaver, Minim, Semi Breve etc. I know 2 time signatures: the 4/4 and the one which is a Waltz (3/4).

I don't seem to understand some time signatures, like 5/4, 6/4, anything that goes above the second number. What exactly does it mean?

Squirrel
January 11th, 2013, 05:39 PM
I play by ear only, and I've come up with my own ghetto system for writing songs.
I'm really curious, what is this 'ghetto system' for writing songs? I can't really imagine a new way for illustrating what to play, I'd love to hear about it/see it if you don't mind sharing? :3

antemortem
January 11th, 2013, 05:42 PM
I can read music very well and I much prefer sheet music to anything else, since that's what I've been used to since I joined band in the sixth grade (nearly six years ago) on the trombone. I can also use SmartMusic, a program designed to aid performance skills and basic notes/rhythms, etc. Either way is plenty fine for me.

Kura
January 19th, 2013, 05:43 PM
I have never been able to use or read tabs, however, I had piano lessons from an early-ish age (up to grade 8 conservatory) and so yes, I can read music :3

I find I am better at sight-reading than trying to play things by ear.

Oryx
January 19th, 2013, 06:37 PM
I can read music, as well as understand the note lengths, like Crotchet, Quaver, Minim, Semi Breve etc. I know 2 time signatures: the 4/4 and the one which is a Waltz (3/4).

I don't seem to understand some time signatures, like 5/4, 6/4, anything that goes above the second number. What exactly does it mean?

The top number is how many beats are in a measure and the bottom is what kind of beat is the base for that measurement. 4/4 is 4 quarter notes per measure; similarly, 3/8 is 3 eighth notes per measure.

outfox
January 19th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I'm really curious, what is this 'ghetto system' for writing songs? I can't really imagine a new way for illustrating what to play, I'd love to hear about it/see it if you don't mind sharing? :3
Oh definitely! Sorry I didn't see this post sooner.

a. b: c:. d::

Each letter is a note, each dot is a...length of time. Beat, I suppose. Like in sheet music, I'll stack the letters to indicate notes being played at the same time, and I have various symbols for things like pauses and odd note transfers. I use the same sharp and flat symbols as in regular sheet music. I don't calculate beat per measure, I usually can figure it out from memory. Most of what I write aren't full songs, but unique combinations of sounds I find that I don't want to forget.

So nothing too complicated or fancy, just letters n' dots, mostly :) hope you're not disappointed!

Mr. Downstairs
January 19th, 2013, 07:34 PM
I can only read treble clef.

How has nobody who stated they can read music mentioned which clef they can read in?

droomph
January 19th, 2013, 10:08 PM
I can read all of them if I really cared enough.

I don't know how to read tab, and honestly I don't want to know.