PDA

View Full Version : Dutch class

pokewalker
January 12th, 2013, 02:51 AM
Hello all, I just came up with the idea of giving everyone interested an introduction to the Dutch language, as most people relate us to the German language/ peoplr, which is a huge insult for us Dutch.

The Dutch language is the 34th most speaken language globally with 28 million people worldwide, living in the Netherlands, Belgium, the Carribean, Canada, Indonesia etc.
It is an West-Germanic language, just as English and German, and many people find it in between English and German, which I totally agree with as it is not as difficult as German, but not as easy as English either.
Grammatically spoken, the Dutch language has no cases, which is a good thing - but because of that, it has a fixed sentence position.
A lot of people are also confused around the 'lidwoorden' (determiners, in English only the and a/an are used) because apart from 'een', which you can use before every word but not in every sentence, 'de' en 'het' are used randomly before the words. In the German language, 'der', 'die' and 'das' are used, but the difference is, that the german determiner-system has a set of rules, but the Dutch one doesn't. As a native speaker, I use them correct automatically, but a lot of foreign people don't.

This was it for this lesson, depending on the popularity I'll continue my next lesson soon! Any questions, just ask.

Houdoe!

Mr Cat Dog
January 12th, 2013, 05:18 AM
This isn't really the place to talk about this, as it's about language and not entertainment. In fact, I can't really think of any board on PC that would be able to make a thread like this fit. Maybe make a blog about it and see what comes up there? You'll probably find more fans that way than by making a thread here. Because of that, I'mma close this now. Veel geluk in spreading the Dutch language, though!

Closed