PDA

View Full Version : 3DS or 3DS XL??

Kouzan
January 13th, 2013, 06:27 AM
I'm thinking this work here.

Since Pokemon X and Y have been announced for 3DS, that means I have to buy a 3DS now.I really want these games cause they look really promising and there's other 3DS titles that look fun. However, I don't know which one to get. A 3DS or a 3DS XL. So I figured I'd ask you guys to help me out. Which one do you prefer/ think is better? A 3DS or a 3DS XL? And which one do you think I should buy? A normal 3DS or a 3DS XL??

Kind of was curious as to which one people liked more and also wanted to know which one I should to buy for these upcoming games.

Gideon Jeremiah
January 13th, 2013, 06:37 AM
I have a normal 3DS (LoZ 25th anniversary version) & find the screen size to be absolutely fine.
When 3D is enabled, quite a few people have issues finding a perfect position to maximize the 3D itself, without hurting their own eyes.

I have not ever used, or owned a 3DS XL, so I cannot say anything positive or negative about it.
In regards to the classic however; if you find it on-sale, than picking it up is a fine idea.
It does its job, & I'd say it does it well.

razzbat
January 16th, 2013, 01:18 AM
the 3ds xl technically is far superior to the original
>better 3d, less ghosting
>corners are curved so its alot more comfortable to hold, people can get hand cramps from the origina
>longer battery life
>this is a problem which I had with the original which quite a few others did was that unless you use screen protectors the edges of the bottom screen can leave scratch marks on the top screen. Apparently this issue is less frequent with the xl
also while some people complain about the size of the xl, it isn't actually that much bigger, while the screens are

Rodriguezjames55
January 16th, 2013, 04:32 AM
3dsxl
due to the superior workmanship and price is very similar

Venitardus
January 16th, 2013, 08:43 PM
I have the 3DS XL. its alot bigger for starters (obviously) and it was only like 30 bucks more expensive, and well worth it

dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
January 16th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Go with whatever you want to. I personally just got a 3DS, I think it's fine. Bigger? Meh. If you find (in like Gamestop, for example) that the screen is too small for your preference, go ahead. I guess you should at least try the 3DS XL, but otherwise I recommend whichever one you want to spend the money for.

TRIFORCE89
January 16th, 2013, 09:23 PM
If I could have the XL in the size of the original 3DS, I'd go for that. For me the XL is just too big

Heartouch
January 17th, 2013, 01:55 AM
I personally think 3DS XL is better because of longer playtime (battery life) than in original 3DS.

Morkula
January 18th, 2013, 03:18 PM
For me, the XL is a lot more comfortable, but I have pretty big hands. I have a regular 3DS and it gets kind of cramped sometimes, especially when playing games like Kid Icarus Uprising. Apparently the "sweet spot" for the 3D effect is bigger on the XL too and you don't have to be so precise in how you hold it. The battery life increase is pretty insignificant though.

If I were just getting a 3DS now I'd get an XL, but I really can't justify upgrading when it does the same thing as the 3DS I have now, only bigger.

LilJz
January 18th, 2013, 03:25 PM
I'm not a rich guy, so I'm probably gonna go with the 3DS but the battery life of the 3DS XL is better than the 3DS but it's also bigger, I don't think I really need a bigger screen. Altought it performs better..
I'll just have to see what I'm going to end up with in the future. Really depends with my budget by the time.

St33lDr4g0n
January 19th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Personally, I'd go with the XL. Since I play game devices with big screens all the time (PC, PS VITA) I'd [almost] always pick the device with the bigger screen, even if it's not the most pocket friendly.

Plus, from all of the reviews I've been reading, the 3D effect on the XL doesn't dissapear as easily as it does on the original 3DS when you tilt the device and all that. The XL also has better curves (smoother corners) so it won't dig into your hands as much as the original. And it's also better if you have big hands like me.

But that's just my opinion. There's always gonna be someone out there who would think otherwise :)

Zet
January 19th, 2013, 06:11 PM
if you plan on taking it around with you in your pocket, get the 3DS. Every other reason, get the XL.

machomuu
January 19th, 2013, 06:14 PM
I carry my XL around with me, as well as my DSiXL. It's not too much of a hassle, really, not as much as, say, a PSP or Vita. I do recommend the XL, though. Some may say it's "just bigger"...and yeah, it is. That's why it's so great. Sure, there's increased battery life, but games like Kid Icarus and Resident Evil: Revelations are so much more engrossing with the larger screen. I've been using XL systems for 3 years now, and I definitely haven't regretted the purchase. I heavily recommend it, especially if it's your first 3DS.

Cordelia
January 19th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I recently got a 3DS XL and it is so much sweeter than a regular 3DS. It feels so good in my hands and the screens are simply amazing. The battery life is always a plus, but to be honest it needs that to power those monster screens. The size is nice... it's about a half centimeter smaller than the DSi XL, which I used to have. DS and 3DS games look quite good on the 3DS, much better than the DSi XL by far.

JayTheKing
January 20th, 2013, 06:44 AM
3ds xl.I am planning to buy one for these games and the possible ruby/saphire remake.
Also i heard it is far superior from its predecessor in terms of quality and sturdiness.
You can also wait for its price to drop or for a bundle such as the fire emblem bundle for the 3ds.

Cordelia
January 20th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Unfortunately, the Fire Emblem 3DS is not an XL -- it's just a regular 3DS.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/14/fire-emblem-awakening-3ds-bundle-retails-for-200/

Cassino
January 21st, 2013, 10:27 AM
Given that you are a 20yo male according to your postbit, I would have to recommend the 3DSXL due to its larger size being more comfortable for adult hands.

Mr. Avocado
January 21st, 2013, 10:35 AM
It's all down to personal preference really; if you think the current DS' are quite small for you, just get the XL. Then again, a bigger screen would make it harder to see everything that's going on albeit not a huge difference between the screens. There isn't really much reasons as to why the 3DS would be better than the XL, just that it's smaller. But then again, that's still down to the user's preference.

Aeon
January 22nd, 2013, 12:43 AM
I have the launch 3DS, but I want an XL. My hands are big, and they cramp up with the regular 3DS.

ZetaZaku
January 22nd, 2013, 05:56 AM
I'd choose XL for the size, but it's also more expensive. Europe, especially my country, can be a ***** with prices. Heck, it costs around 300$ here. The cheapest I could find was a used one for 140$ (not XL). The chepaest XL I found was 240$. Worst thing is that the prices won't fall here, since the regular DS is as expensive. I'm dying for an XL, but I might end up buying the cheaper regular one. Seeing the Fire Emblem bundled one for 200$ pisses me off haha.

Hikamaru
January 22nd, 2013, 06:57 AM
I got a 3DS XL for Christmas, so yeah I'm going with the 3DS XL.

Urugamosu
January 22nd, 2013, 08:01 AM
3DS XL, that has the better size and overall improvements and also comfortable for somebody to use.

daigonite
January 22nd, 2013, 09:03 AM
I've never seen what's been so special about the XL line in either the 3DS or the DSi variety.

Minerva
January 22nd, 2013, 09:30 AM
I'll probably get a 3DS XL because it looks pretty big. I was originally thinking of getting a regular-sized 3DS because I saw that it's a lot cheaper, but the 3DS XL dropped to $150 at GameStop. So, right now I'm reconsidering getting the XL instead. Plus, reading the pros about it makes me kinda want it more. xD

Cordelia
January 22nd, 2013, 10:26 AM
I'll probably get a 3DS XL because it looks pretty big. I was originally thinking of getting a regular-sized 3DS because I saw that it's a lot cheaper, but the 3DS XL dropped to $150 at GameStop. So, right now I'm reconsidering getting the XL instead. Plus, reading the pros about it makes me kinda want it more. xD

What?! I just got mine a week ago and it was $199.

...oh, still shows $199 here: http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3DS+XL

JayTheKing
February 14th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Is it?For those of you who have one is it sturdy?Does the hing crings?Do games look nice?Is the joystick sturdy?Are the online communities of the games good?
I really want one for Pokemon X/Y,Mirror of fate,Project X Zone,FE:Awakaning and many more current and upcoming games.But is it worth my 210 euros?

.EJ
February 14th, 2013, 12:23 PM
If you have the money to spare then yes. It's a great handheld and it has many solid games out for it. If you can wait longer, then there's always a possibility that there will be a 3DS Pokemon bundle whenever the new games come out.

JayTheKing
February 14th, 2013, 12:26 PM
If you have the money to spare then yes. It's a great handheld and it has many solid games out for it. If you can wait longer, then there's always a possibility that there will be a 3DS Pokemon bundle whenever the new games come out.

I am mostly hoping for a mirror of fate bundle.I think that if that pokemon bundle comes out it will have the game installed in the sd card but i would prefer having a physical copy of it.

skyluigi2
February 15th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Definitely the XL. Bought both on release day, love the XL so much more.
I was worried about it not fitting into my pockets to carry, but it's fine. Even fits in jeans with no worries.
The larger screens are soooo much more worth it.

Jamais
February 15th, 2013, 11:36 PM
The big thing for me was the price point and portability, but after trying both the original and XL in store, I jumped when the XL went on sale. I was worried it would be too big to fit in my pockets, but either I've got really big pockets, or the console isn't quite as big as I thought.

I also love how long the battery life seems to be on this thing. After it's first initial charge, I don't think that I had to plug it in for almost a week, and I must've used it for at least an hour every day.

Brizz
February 16th, 2013, 05:13 PM
I own the LoZ edition Nintendo 3DS and I think it's perfect for me. One of my friends has the 3DS XL and I must say the thing is massive! I like being able to put my 3DS in my pocket if I need to and I don't think the XL would fit haha!

The_Consumer
February 23rd, 2013, 03:20 PM
The 3DSxl is better, but I own a 3DS. They're both very similar but the xl is bigger and more up to date.

Kouzan
February 23rd, 2013, 03:55 PM
So far I'm leaning more towards the XL now. The only real problem I heard is of it's size. From what UI've read, if you have small hands the XL won't fit well in your hands. I pretty much have the average hands for a male my age., though they seem a bit smaller. However I've had a original DS phat for years and that's about the same size as the XL and it fits rather comfortably. Also people said the XL doesn't fit in their pocket well. I'm sure my DS fits in most my pant's pocket and most of my pants have relatively big pockets. So I'm sure if the original DS can fit in there I think an XL can fit. So I'm mostly going for an XL now after looking at the results so far.

Buggles
March 5th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Why would you want the XL? It's about twice the size of a normal 3DS and it's got basically the same hardware. I don't feel like the XL is a good purchase in that it's more expensive and you get the same stuff.

LilJz
March 5th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Why would you want the XL? It's about twice the size of a normal 3DS and it's got basically the same hardware. I don't feel like the XL is a good purchase in that it's more expensive and you get the same stuff.

Actually they have a lot of difference in the XL.

1. The buttons and pad are bigger and more solid.
2. The start, select & home button was redesigned.
3. The XL got better anti-reflecting coating.
4. bigger screen for better display
5. Last but not least, longer battery life. The 3DS could go for 8 hours max but the 3DS can go for 10 hours max.

Evil Stud Muffin
March 6th, 2013, 04:27 AM
I dunno, the 3DS compared to the 3DSXL is far better looking. If AW has small hands, I would suggest the 3DS, even as some with pretty big hands. The only downside for the 3DS is the buttons, but the start/select/home area is much better on it, as the buttons on the XL are too spongy and a bit awkward. The screen size is fine, and the pixelation on it isn't too bad if you hold the console from a distance, but the PPI does lose some clarity. In the long run however, it entirely depends on how much time its going to be as a DS player as well. You gonna give it lots of DS time? Go for the XL, the 1:1 mode on it is phenomenal. Gonna give it some time, and don't mind a blurry screen?(cause honestly 1:1 on the 3DS is the smallest pain in the ass I've ever witnessed, and this is coming from someone who plays his PS2 on 4:3 mode on a 42 inch LED) Then you might go for the 3DS. In the end the choice is yours, but as I said I personally see the 3DS as the prettier of the two. The glass casing on the top part is infinitely then the cheap plastic mold of the XL, and the 3 layer design is actually pretty awesome if you own the white or red model. The console feels much more solid, and I absolutely loathe the left sided dock for the headphones on the XL, the perfectly aligned 3DS is sublime.

Princess Sandshrew
March 19th, 2013, 05:02 AM
I own both an original 3DS and an XL
I use the XL mostly, but the original is nicer to carry around imo because of the smaller size.
The XL is better all round performance wise.

Diversion
March 19th, 2013, 05:08 AM
I have a normal 3ds.
And I've already tried the XL.
But unfortunately.... It didn't affect my gameplay at all.
I don't know why people enjoy that even more.
To be honest, it's just a waste of money.
It was my friend's XL btw.

Miss Doronjo
March 19th, 2013, 07:31 AM
To be honest, I'm going to be leaning more towards the XL, despite me having a regular 3Ds.

For one thing, of course, Nintendo had decided to increase the thickness and size of the A, B, X, and Y buttons as well as the Circle Pad. What does that mean? Well, honestly, for me, that would mean that it'll be way easier to use than the 3D's version. Typically, larger buttons means you can be less accurate and still press them easily. With the Circle Pad it should be nicer to use for larger thumbs and the thickness is sure to make all the buttons feel of a higher quality. The same design change has been applied to the L and R buttons, making them bigger and thicker.

Well, of course, maybe you need to try a demo one at a store before making a final decision. Again, I've got the first 3Ds, and to me it's pretty portable, where you can easily fit it in your pocket. Since you don't have one, it depends on what you prefer, in my opinion 3Ds XL looks better, but, no matter how many ways I look at it, the 3DS had always pull of it's standard qualities. The 3DS is still awesome, so, you can perfectly lean to that if you want a cheaper game system, but, for more "quality", I'd say the XL.

Zorogami
March 19th, 2013, 09:08 AM
I have the 3DS XL and i'm completely satisfied with it. i've never used a "normal" 3DS, so i can't really compare, but the XL definitely has a biggers screen, which is a plus!