PDA

View Full Version : Oh na na, what's my name?

Major Ziggs
February 3rd, 2013, 05:28 AM
If your best friend or partner turned around and told you that their name (and possibly by extension their heritage) wasn't actually true, how would you react? Would it matter to you that you'd known them as something else for so long?

⊗Slenderman⊗
February 3rd, 2013, 07:43 AM
I don't think it would much bother me, honestly. I would be surprised, though.

Dakota
February 3rd, 2013, 07:45 AM
That's actually happened to a lot of people I know in regards to me, since everyone now knows me as Dipu, which isn't my actual name (although it is my real nickname since birth). They reacted surprised and curious as to what my real name was, but that's all. Nothing earth shattering. I imagine I'd react the same way if it were someone else.

LilJz
February 3rd, 2013, 07:50 AM
I would surprised lol. I was calling them by a different name for a long time xD

It's like in Jerry Seinfeld when everyone found out Kramer's real name was Cosmo :P

Sweets Witch
February 3rd, 2013, 07:52 AM
I wouldn't mind it if there was a good reason behind it, but I'd just flat-out leave if their reasoning was something like "I lied for fun, oops"

Talli
February 3rd, 2013, 09:22 AM
I would not care really they would still be my friend if this happened.

Gyardosamped
February 3rd, 2013, 09:35 AM
I'd have to agree with Sweets Witch.

I'd be fine with it as long as there was a good reason as to why they were lying to me the entire time.

Esper
February 3rd, 2013, 10:31 AM
I guess I'd feel glad that they've told me since they probably had a reason to hide it. Kind of like how you'd feel if a friend told you they were gay and that wasn't something everyone knew about them. It would show some trust they have in me.

Patatas Fritas
February 3rd, 2013, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't be particularly bothered, it's just a name, I might trust them a little less because if they were hiding their name from me then they could be hiding other things, too! But they'd still be my friend/lover/etc, though.

Kura
February 3rd, 2013, 10:34 AM
Agreeing with Gyaro here.. i had something like that happen to me.. only it was because he had a sex change from birth..but he should've told me since i was one of his closest friends instead of forbiding me to call his house because his parents answering machine said jessica and samantha. Would've been better if he didn't play with my emotions.

Brynjolf
February 3rd, 2013, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't be bothered at all.

My reaction would just be "Oh." really.

Caelus
February 3rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
I would ask them why they went by a different name but it won't bother me so long as they weren't messing with me.

Broken_Arrow
February 3rd, 2013, 01:25 PM
i'm sure they have their reasons but since they told me the truth and wanted me to know means that they feel trusting me to deserve the truth and no i won't be mad or annoyed i would listen if they want to talk about it

Zach
February 3rd, 2013, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't get personal if someone told me their name wasn't what they had been going by, but certainly I would be a bit shocked at first.

Yoshikkko
February 3rd, 2013, 02:58 PM
I would be annoyed but they surely would have their reasons. Also it would take some time to get used to, I would probably never get used to it but whatever.

Kouzan
February 3rd, 2013, 03:56 PM
I'd be confused and shocked at first but also understand as long as they had a reason behind it.

Katholic Nun
February 4th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Uh... hell yes I would be pissed! I don't know how I could ever trust them again knowing our relationship had gone as far as it had without me even knowing their real name!

Witness Protection Program is the only excuse I will accept. Beyond that, I'm gone.

daigonite
February 4th, 2013, 08:06 AM
I would be really confused to why they did that. What's the point in being anonymous like that >.>

François
February 4th, 2013, 09:06 AM
My question is why someone would do such a ridiculous thing.

Shiny Celebi
February 4th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Id be surprised and wonder why they did not give me their real name, I might also be concerned that they'd lied to me about other things as well.

lineofdeath
February 4th, 2013, 10:51 AM
That is what my best freind did to me, he lied about his gender, now we are dating eachother.
He said it was he actually it was a she

Cadance
February 4th, 2013, 11:48 AM
That worries me a lot...especially to the fact that my name isn't really Megan...it's something else, so I'm not certain how many people I've shocked these days. xD

But personally, I wouldn't be bothered if someone told me their real name while I was getting used to the name they were using. But then, it'll take time for me to get used to it...again. :P

Antemortem
February 5th, 2013, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure it would, as I'd then grow accustomed to calling them by their real name. There's nothing wrong with change.

Sylphiel
February 5th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Depending on how close I was to that person, there was a time when I'd feel a bit betrayed if I found out a person had been lying about their real name. It was mostly along the lines of "if I can't trust something as simple as that, then how can I trust the rest of what you say?"

Now, though...I honestly don't know if I'd even care as much. If it was someone I was really close to and trusted, I might still feel a little hurt depending on circumstances (like, if it were simply "I hate my name so I use another one", I wouldn't even care), but probably nowhere near like how I would have reacted before.

Ephemeral Euphoria
February 5th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't care in the slightest in all honesty, nowadays nothing really shocks me anymore.

Jak
February 5th, 2013, 05:31 PM
It wouldn't bother me too much honestly, though it may take some time to get used to calling them by their actual name, especially if they had a really nice name to start with. Actually...maybe I'd still call them by that name. After all, if I had been calling them by that name for that long, then it shouldn't bother you too much if I continue even after you've revealed your real name!

Gleam Noiyam
February 5th, 2013, 05:44 PM
I probably wouldn't care because I don't exactly have a best friend anymore. u_u

pikakitten
February 5th, 2013, 06:44 PM
It'd be weird and I'd wonder why they lied but I could get used to it xD

YamiNoBlade Twihiki Amias
February 6th, 2013, 07:17 PM
I agree with Pikakitten, but overall it would sink in then be in my mind for a while, then eventually accepting the truth.

Penta Penguin
February 7th, 2013, 03:40 PM
to be honest, I wouldn't be bothered at all; I've done it also, so being on the receiving end wouldn't make a difference.

Toutebelle
February 12th, 2013, 08:33 PM
I'd be upset, especially if they said that they had a cool name like Alfredo or Xavier and instead I found out they were just another Christopher or Justin. (No offense to any Christophers or Justins on this board - I didn't mean you!)

It's disappointing when someone who you think has a cool name actually has a boring or even sucky name. But the reverse is much better. When I first found out my dad's maternal grandma's name, I had heard that she was Rose (which is a pretty name, if a little common). But two years ago I found out that she was actually Rosina (even prettier - it's an Italian name, and also the name of a character from the opera The Barber of Seville). Rose was what she went by - no one ever called her Rosina.

Still, I can understand why my great-grandmother never went by her real name. Rosina just doesn't go over well in the US, especially considering the time period she grew up in. Her husband's sister Marina was always called Mae, presumably also to sound more American. Although Marina is very much American now, years ago it was more of an ethnic name.