PDA

View Full Version : It is not what you achieve, but the difference you imprint on the world around you.

curiousnathan
February 4th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Having worked last year at a local hospital for my work experience I was able to have some really intriguing discussions with some of the doctors, nurses and other hospital staff. In particular, when I was placed in the radiology department for one of my placement days, a humble man named Graham was my 'mentor.' During one of our lunchbreaks, he began asking me what my career goals were. I told him my dreams of becoming a doctor or a medicinal researcher. The one thing I took and stored most from my one week placement were the words that soon left his mouth. He said, "Strive for your dreams; but just remember, the most important thing is not what you achieve, but the difference you imprint on the world around you." I left the hospital with a completely different persective on what I wanted to achieve, I had now found a reason as to why I want to achieve certain things.

In summary, my real question for you is: What do you value more: success or the difference made from your success? Do you value your accomplishments more by themselves rather than the difference they have on the world around you? Or vice-versa? Perhaps you value one just as much as the other?

I'd love to know what you think, so fire away.

Shining Raichu
February 4th, 2013, 05:29 AM
For me, the difference I wish to make in the world and what I hope to achieve are two very separate parts of my life. When you're trying to become a doctor or something like that, the two are very easily intertwined, but the differences I make to the world will come in my personal life, separate from my work life.

As such, I'd have to say that both are equally important to me.

I've always believed that charity begins at home, so the differences I try to make will start small. I want to influence my friends' lives and help them in any way I can, and if I have the resources later on in life I'll take it larger scale.

Brynjolf
February 7th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I value the success itself. What if no one notices your success, and it doesn't make much of a difference? It's still a success. :) Success = Victory.

Starry Windy
February 7th, 2013, 07:21 PM
I value the difference I made in the world when I'm successful more than just being successful, even though I still aiming for success.

Sweets Witch
February 7th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Actual success, definitely. Ultimately it's not up to me to decide whether or not my successes made a difference, but they're all still successes to me regardless.