PDA

View Full Version : Please don't use that word

Sableye~
February 4th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Everyone has certain words that they dislike. What are yours?

Edit:
Wow, yours seem relatively serious. x:

François
February 4th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Literally. People just don't know how to use it.

Patrick
February 4th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I've never been a fan of racial slurs in any context. I don't care if it's being said by the members of the same race, or in jest by stand up comedians, it just makes me cringe.

Esper
February 4th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I really don't like the word 'retarded' (or, especially, that word in noun form). Even typing it now makes me a tiny bit uncomfortable because of how often it gets used pejoratively even by people who would never even think of using similar language.

Shiny Celebi
February 4th, 2013, 10:05 AM
"Retarded" and some other words, most of them racial/homophobic slurs.

Cordelia
February 4th, 2013, 11:18 AM
"Wherewithal"

Just seems like a word that someone just randomly made up one day and it caught on. It bugs me to no end D:

Talli
February 4th, 2013, 11:48 AM
"Handicapped"
it just annoys me when people say this word when talking about someone with special needs

lineofdeath
February 4th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Handicapped/HANGEDBYDAROPES
The latter being my nickname at school
So annoying

Munchlax11
February 4th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Lol or K or mhmm. I guess these are words that are generally used in texting, but they are conversation killers. -.-

Yoshikko
February 4th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Ninkenpoop. Who thought of this?

Hikamaru
February 4th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Retarded and handicapped, those words are offensive to me cos I have autism.

It hurts me even more cos my brother usually calls me retarded.

awolfsquared
February 4th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Retarded or when people use "gay" to describe something stupid. I have ADHD and was in special ed classes during high school and it would bother me when people would call the special ed class the "retard class". My older brother's was in special education since 1st grade and so I had to deal with hearing people call him retarded for years. Although we fight, I still love him and it pisses me off when people hurt him. It also pisses me off when I'm called retarded cause obviously it hurts my feelings.

And when people use "gay" to describe something stupid that just annoys me because of how overused it is. But also it's disrespectful and out of context. I'm sorry, but there's thousands of other word that can be used to describe something stupid, 'gay" shouldn't be one.

Sweets Witch
February 4th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Derp. Derp outlived its purpose years ago but people keep forcing it into their daily conversations as if to make their lives one long rage comic.

Atomic Pirate
February 4th, 2013, 03:12 PM
The main ones would probably be "derp" and "brohoof", but I have a special kind of hatred for misused Japanese phrases, especially when spouted by 12-year old self-proclaimed "otakus".

The sad thing is that they believe that "otaku" is a positive term, when in reality it refers to no-life losers.

JayD
February 4th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I hate when people misuse the word gay. I'm not gay but I find it pretty idiotic if they use it badly. Like for example 'This game is so gay'

TwilightBlade
February 4th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Noob. I hate this word so much! Moderator life becomes more pleasant if you envision all "unusual" members as kittens. Call them kittens from now on. :))

Swag. Sooo not fetch! This word needs to erase itself from existence. I cried when Lilith used this word in the Borderlands comics. Massive fountains of tears. No more. Comics are not canon anymore. Yes. Right. Potato.

Profanity in general, mostly because I live with a bunch of sailors.

Stormbringer
February 4th, 2013, 04:23 PM
MOIST is the worst word ever conceptualized by the English language.

Honest
February 4th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Live, you're so weird

I'm okay with many words, to be honest. That being said, the N-word is the word that gets me the most, I find is really messed up how people can use it into daily conversation.

Aeon
February 4th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Gay being used as a synonym for stupid. At least some people in my family are aware, and try to honor that though.

Sableye~
February 4th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I have to agree with Livewire. But I never realized my dislike of the word until he said that. Eugh.

Also, I hate the word "yucky". I:

Evanlyn
February 4th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Retarded and handicapped, those words are offensive to me cos I have autism.

That's exactly my answer with the exact same reason! (or at least I was born with autism, but my parents helped me a lot and now I've sort of gotten over it [though I'm still overly shy & quiet..])

I also dislike 'gay'. People overuse it.

Alli
February 4th, 2013, 05:17 PM
You can use whatever word around me you want, but if you say "retard" or "retarded" I will probably bust a cap in your ass. I can't stand those words, I can't stand the negative connotations that come along with them and I can't stand the misuse of the word. I'm an elementary and special education major, so of course, I find it to be incredibly offensive, especially when people use it incorrectly.

You wanna be politically correct btw? "Mentally retarded" is not correct anymore. It's intellectual disability now. And I won't hesitate to correct people on that. If you have to resort to using the r word to insult somebody, especially someone with a disability (since that's usually where it's used), you're ignorant scum.

Sorry, I just have a very strong stance against this word. It really pisses me off.

Evil Stud Muffin
February 4th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Stubborn. I know I have rage issues and I consider myself right all the time, I don't need to be reminded as well darn it.

Brynjolf
February 4th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Derp. Derp outlived its purpose years ago but people keep forcing it into their daily conversations as if to make their lives one long rage comic.

The main ones would probably be "derp" and "brohoof", but I have a special kind of hatred for misused Japanese phrases, especially when spouted by 12-year old self-proclaimed "otakus".

The sad thing is that they believe that "otaku" is a positive term, when in reality it refers to no-life losers.

I hate when people misuse the word gay. I'm not gay but I find it pretty idiotic if they use it badly. Like for example 'This game is so gay'

Noob. I hate this word so much! Moderator life becomes more pleasant if you envision all "unusual" members as kittens. Call them kittens from now on. :))

Swag. Sooo not fetch! This word needs to erase itself from existence. I cried when Lilith used this word in the Borderlands comics. Massive fountains of tears. No more. Comics are not canon anymore. Yes. Right. Potato.

Profanity in general, mostly because I live with a bunch of sailors.

Gay being used as a synonym for stupid. At least some people in my family are aware, and try to honor that though.

All of these hit home for me.

Especially 'gay' and 'derp'. Just.. Ugh.

Derp is especially annoying because it's used by those 12 year olds who just discovered reddit/r/f7u12 and LOVE freaking rage comics.

Newsflash: Rage comics are stupid and you should not do something so embarassing as to ingrain them into your conversations.

Also gay hurts my feelings because I am uber gay, so.. When someone in class says "that's so gay man" I always look over at them with a dirty glare. Then normally they just quit talking, because EVERYONE knows how gay I am. Lol.

Except my parents.

Shining Raichu
February 6th, 2013, 04:02 AM
'Inappropriate'

It's the most irritating word in the English language. Everybody sounds like they're on a high-horse when they use it. Should never have been invented.

Tackle
February 6th, 2013, 04:16 AM
I dislike gay, stubborn, **** you, retarded, and stupid.

There are more words that I don't like but I can't remember. =/

Toutebelle
February 12th, 2013, 08:17 PM
I hate people who call Italians ****s or guineas. Nowadays, it's usually old people who say that, but still. And guido is pretty bad too, especially when people apply it to all Italians instead of just the trashy ones from the tri-state area. (I live in New York, and there are tons of "guidos" here.)

I also hate when some Hispanics call all white non-Hispanic people Anglos. I'm not trying to be racist against Hispanics (in fact, one of my uncles is Hispanic), but it's ignorant. I'm Italian-American, and I really identify with it. If anything I look much closer to someone from Spain, Greece, or North Africa than someone from England. I have very dark hair and eyes, and my skin is kind of dark too. My grandmother can easily pass for Egyptian. I do use Anglo myself, but only to refer to Americans of English or similar background.

ShinyUmbreon189
February 12th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Homosexual slurs and racial comments. Anything else is fine, it just depends on how you use them.

Starry Windy
February 12th, 2013, 10:35 PM
I dislike a certain swear words (because I have been hearing of such words too much when I was in like two years ago), hate and stupid.

CarcharOdin
February 12th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Very few words really irk me unless they're said in the wrong way. Words themselves aren't really the problem, it's how people use them. And it's also about how people interpret them. I'm honestly more offended by people getting offended at words than by the actual words themselves. Sure, some people use them in hateful ways, but your reaction is also giving them power. If you stop making a big deal about it, the impact isn't as seething. And really, when it comes to swearing, I'm actually irritated when people are averse to it. Being averse to swearing is one of my biggest pet peeves ever.

That being said, I'm with Shining Raichu..."inappropriate" is very foul f***ing word. Anyone using text words in real life conversation also annoys me. I also think the worst phrase ever invented was "politically correct." Fascist phrase, in my opinion. Of course, "gay" being used as a synonym for 'stupid' irritates me, not so much because it's 'politically incorrect' but because it's overused. Find something else to use. Or just straight up use "stupid." Why fix what isn't broken?

TornZero
February 12th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Racial slurs — always; even if it's strictly for informational purposes, I will cringe.

"Gay" used negatively in any form.

"Retard(ed)", period.

MOIST, because even in proper context, it still sounds horrible!

Like Elgyem, any and all misused Japanese words and phrases, or any use of them within what clearly should only be an English sentence.

And... "brohoof". I like Friendship is Magic, but I have to repeatedly resist the urge to punch a classmate's teeth out whenever he utters it. "Sorry; I missed your fist! Wanna try a high five?"

Other than that, I guess I'm good.

Oh, wait, 1337-speak and most shorthand used for texting.

Hannah
February 13th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Love.

Not all the times, no. Only when it's misused. When people say I love you to one person, they only think it's love, but it's really just infatuation.

Dreg
February 16th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I dislike the word Gay used negatively. I also hate the words Derp, K, YOLO, Hippy (I get called that now) and the swear word beginning with C.

Rainbow Arcanine
February 16th, 2013, 08:40 PM
I'm not bothered by most words, but I absolutely can't stand any racist or words used incorrectly such as gay, it just irks me how people use certain words. Also noob is a word I really hate being used to call people names, it's just ugh :(, and also the phrase "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all." pops into my head when that word is said. I don't mind too much if it's being used playfully though. :3

Victini
February 16th, 2013, 09:03 PM
"Friends" for personal reasons...
And for the love of all that is Holy, Haole. [pronounced how-lee]

If you have never been to Hawaii, you probably don't know that word up there. Hawaiians or Pacific islanders in general love to abuse this word for no good reason at all.
It's a word used to describe a 'foreigner' in the Hawaiian language, but they adore using it to describe JUST people with white skin. It's supposed to be used to describe any foreigner of any skin color or race at all. In other words, anyone who isn't Hawaiian. But it's heavily abused by the locals ( Hawaiian or not ) to insult those of white skin in specific. It's a horrible, disgusting, demeaning term that I am so glad I don't have to hear anymore.

( --> no longer a resident of Hawaii, woop woop! o/ Aloha state my freakin' tooshie. )

I can't put the rage I feel into words for the stupid, ignorant, close-mindedness of this word. It freakin' burns me up. >_____>

Kura
February 17th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Sounds a bit petty, but I hate the word "Gurl" written like that >_> It.. for some reason.. just really irks me...

Noah Ridgewood
February 17th, 2013, 08:40 AM
In the past, gay was something that bothered me. I didn't really like it when people used gay as an adjective to describe things they didn't like. Then I started using that a little more around my friends. Now, I don't have any. Though, much like Kura, I also rather dislike gurl like that, but only when someone calls me that.