PDA

View Full Version : Post-rock

Antemortem
February 6th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Post-rock is a subgenre of rock music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music) characterized by the influence and use of instruments (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_instrument) commonly associated with rock, but using rhythms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythm) and "guitars as facilitators of timbre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbre) and textures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_%28music%29)" not traditionally found in rock.Post-rock is one of my favorite genres of music, as it's so current in our day and age, as it combines the top music genre (at least in North America) styles with contemporary instrumental styles, yet it still seems to be underrated beyond belief. It's some of the best music I've ever heard; so many amazing elements conglomerated in one style of music, creating something overall unique.

Examples of some bands are:

Mogwai
Mutemath
Pram
Tortoise
Rosetta

yC_3alnTE9g
Is anyone a fan of post-rock? If so, who are some of your favorite artists/bands? Favorite songs by such?

CarcharOdin
February 6th, 2013, 08:38 PM
The only post-rock artists I'm technically into at the moment are God Is An Astronaut and recently Godspeed You Black Emperor. I need to listen to more of this stuff.

34C41eEpM48

I've been lately listening to some post-METAL, though: Neurosis, A Storm of Light, Isis, Pelican, etc.

LO7qCXKW6wQ

Esper
February 7th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Sigur Rós is one of my favorite bands of all time. I've also got some God is an Astronaut, Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and others, and while I like them, they're not my absolute favorites.

Still, as a genre I think post-rock is very much my thing because it uses instruments that I like (guitars, drums, often pianos) in different ways. My first experience with music of any kind was classical so I guess it's kind of ingrained in me to like music that changes around and doesn't follow a predictable pop formula. I don't get bored very easily by this kind of music, which is a big plus for me.

Rest
February 8th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Post-rock is one of the hardest types of music to listen to for me. It's exhausting to listen to but enormously satisfying. I love Sigur Ros, Swans and GY!BE but I can only ever listen to their albums once in, idk, a month. Typically, I have to be in a "zone" for me to digest those immense, 16-minutes-or-so tracks and sweeping instrumentals and vocals. Essentially though, it is a wonderful kind of music.

So anyways, I've been trying to get into Mogwai. Which album should I listen to first?

Antemortem
February 8th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Post-rock is one of the hardest types of music to listen to for me. It's exhausting to listen to but enormously satisfying. I love Sigur Ros, Swans and GY!BE but I can only ever listen to their albums once in, idk, a month. Typically, I have to be in a "zone" for me to digest those immense, 16-minutes-or-so tracks and sweeping instrumentals and vocals. Essentially though, it is a wonderful kind of music.
I wholly agree, and GY!BE to an even greater extent. If I recall some of their songs cap off at nearly an hour, and that's a bit much to listen to in one setting, especially since their songs keep the same rhythms, tempos, and instrumentals for extended periods of time (Mladic, for example).

So anyways, I've been trying to get into Mogwai. Which album should I listen to first?
I recommend The Hawk is Howling or Hardcore Will Never Die, but You Will first, the former being my overall pick. They're both excellent albums, with some of my notable favourites being I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead, Local Authority, and I Love You, I'm Going to Blow Up Your School. Then there's the twisted Stupid Prick Gets Chased by the Police and Loses His **** Girlfriend but you'll have to listen to it for the brunt of that surprise. :P

Rest
February 10th, 2013, 05:11 AM
I wholly agree, and GY!BE to an even greater extent. If I recall some of their songs cap off at nearly an hour, and that's a bit much to listen to in one setting, especially since their songs keep the same rhythms, tempos, and instrumentals for extended periods of time (Mladic, for example).

I recommend The Hawk is Howling or Hardcore Will Never Die, but You Will first, the former being my overall pick. They're both excellent albums, with some of my notable favourites being I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead, Local Authority, and I Love You, I'm Going to Blow Up Your School. Then there's the twisted Stupid Prick Gets Chased by the Police and Loses His **** Girlfriend but you'll have to listen to it for the brunt of that surprise. :P

I'll check them out, man. Thanks :)

Keiran
February 10th, 2013, 08:03 AM
One of my favorite post-rock/instrumental bands is The Mercury Program. I HIGHLY recommend you check them out if you like other bands mentioned in this thread. All of their songs are incredibly beautiful so it's hard to pick a favorite.

This is my current obsessions by them, though, (hard to find HQ videos on youtube though, use spotify if you have it);

g1eD88j6nMk
mul4L61aZvA

Some others I recommend if you like the bands in this thread;
Animals as Leaders
Gru (these first two are heavier and less ambient)
Boards of Canada
The Redneck Manifesto
65daysofstatic
Explosions In The Sky
Maserati
(I'll add more as I think of them)

CarcharOdin, if you love metal AND post-rock, I highly recommend you listen to Animals as Leaders and Gru. :3

Rest
February 10th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Boards of Canada

Yes to this, I enjoyed Music has the Right to Children and Geogaddi immensely.