View Full Version : Forward, backward, or perfectly still?

February 7th, 2013, 5:09 PM
Let's say some magic person or something comes down and gives you a choice of three remotes that you get to use whenever and wherever you want. On each of these remotes there is a different button. On one, there is a Fast Forward button, on another there is a Rewind button, and on the third there is a Pause button. The magic man explains that the first remote (fast forward) can send you forward in time to any point in the future that you wish. However, once you get to the future, there's no going back to the present. He also explains that the second remote (rewind) can send you back in time to whenever you want, but you'd have to continue literally living in the past until you reached the present again. Last, there is the pause remote. This button stops everything exactly as it is at the moment, freezing everything in time but you. He warns you that no matter which you choose, you'd still age the same. So you may spend 5 years in the past, and these 5 years would have the same effect on your body as they would if you were in the present, if that makes sense. The magic man gives you the choice of one of these remotes for unlimited use.
Which one would you choose?
That was really long, I know. >.<

February 7th, 2013, 5:29 PM
Past. I would never use it to go significantly into the past, but maybe an hour or a day to fix screwups. And maybe make myself win the lottery. ;)

February 7th, 2013, 6:47 PM
I would do the reverse.

Oh my god I found a use for it already. One of my friends was being suggestive and I wish I picked up on her hints because I have the hugest crush on her. Ugh.

Sweets Witch
February 7th, 2013, 7:28 PM
Adapting to a new futuristic society would be a pain, so I'd just go like a month into the past and see what I could change for the better. I'd probably just end up managing my money more efficiently.

February 7th, 2013, 7:47 PM
I would not choose the future option. I would either go with the pause or rewind. I am kind of leaning towards the rewind remote, but if I chose that remote I would not venture too far back in the past. I would perhaps go back to fix a mistake that I made, but besides that and perhaps picking the right lottery ticket like Toujors said, I don't think I'd have much more of a use for it.

February 7th, 2013, 8:27 PM
What kind of paradoxes would exist in the case of going back in time?

For example, if I went back in time, would there exist the me of whatever time I went back to? If so, what would happen if I changed my future?

Assuming it's true, and that I'd still exist alongside my past self (and we may be fused into my past self's body should we make physical contact! Think the older brother from Zathura), I'd take that option, and refrain from touching myself until my mission is complete.

One thing I'd do is talk to my parents — there are a few opportunities that I should have taken around 13 years old. I'd also fix many of the problems I had in school before the problems started, try to work things out with my older brother so I could have a better relationship with him, and ultimately just try and make my past self's life better in aspects I didn't get right at the time.

Of course, I'd win the lottery, too — that's a given. (Maybe a few times. >_>) Some of the money would go to my parents, some to charities, but the vast majority would go into a bank account for my past self.

Lastly, after accomplishing everything I intended to do, I'd fuse with my past self and relive the life I changed for the better. Perhaps I'll still retain my memories of the unchanged past, too! :D

February 8th, 2013, 7:11 AM
I wouldn't use any of them- I like my life as it is. I don't want to alter my own future, even if there's potential that I'm making it better.

February 8th, 2013, 7:52 AM
After podding on my answer for a while: Here is my answer

I would use the one for going in to the future as I want to see how my country is in the future without waiting for it..

February 8th, 2013, 8:59 AM
Should probably answer my own question. I'd pick the pause button. I could do whatever I needed to do (for example, homework), and then unfreeze time and have it continue onward, spending less than a fraction of a second on my homework. I could then spend more time doing other things I enjoyed instead of doing homework (again, just an example).

February 8th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Being able to go forward in time would be tempting. I'd be curious to see what happens in the distant future beyond any point I could conceivably live to. Not being able to go back would be a little disappointing, especially if the future didn't turn out very well.

Pausing the present could be useful if I wanted to play tricks and do other sneaky stuff, but if I used it too often I'd appear to age quicker than other people.

Going into the past would let me fix mistakes, which is really appealing, but I don't know if that would mean I would exist beside myself and never be able to rejoin the thread of my life.

Ugh. Too many unanswered questions and potential drawbacks. Can't choose.

February 8th, 2013, 1:06 PM
Rewind time. To go into the unknown with no way of going back is a risk I wouldn't want to take as tempting as it would be. However, to go back into the past with the knowledge I've gained from the present would be a great way to relive my life by going down memory lane and also correcting some mistakes I would rather not have made before. Plus, I'd be like a super genius repeating all those years in school again.

What I don't know from this situation is, would I be in my past life's body or would I be in my own body watching my past self live the life I already lived? If it's the latter, then I don't think I'd mind being my own mentor of the sorts. I've always loved the idea of the person I am now talking to the person I once was. I'd be like the brother I always wanted to myself.

February 10th, 2013, 7:35 AM
How useful would a pause remote be in some scenarios? You could go anywhere you wanted without any hassle, then unpause.

Also, the rewind remote would be just as effective, and yet, profitable. Find a result of a sporting event, go back and place money on it, and watch it unfold. Marty Mcfly had the right idea in Back to the Future. But mainly, I would go back to the 90's as I am a 90's kid.

February 11th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Given that I'd still age the same, I'd be hesitant to use any of the remotes, but since there would be no returning to normal with the fast forward or rewind remotes, I'd take the one that pauses time. It would be something I'd use sparingly, but it could be convenient in situations like wanting an extra hour of sleep, or even making it to the bus on time, which I might otherwise be late for.

It could also be a fun way to pull pranks on people, like slightly moving objects around, and watching their reactions as time returned to normal.

February 11th, 2013, 5:58 PM
If I was forced to choose, rewind and go back before I met him a few seconds ago, run away from the area and get to live normally again xD

February 11th, 2013, 6:03 PM
the past of course, then you can fix your own screw ups

February 12th, 2013, 4:55 PM
The magic man gave me a choice. That means I can choose to accept his offer, or reject it. I won't pick any button, honestly.

Shining Raichu
February 17th, 2013, 3:09 PM
If it froze my aging, I'd choose the pause button. As it is, I'd tell the magic man to leave me alone and choose somebody else for his little experiment. The past is a bad idea because you're reliving the past as your current self and aging as you would anyway, which is pretty much shortening your lifespan. If you choose to pause, you're aging while everyone else around you is not, so you're essentially just making yourself older than all your friends and getting no benefit out of it. If you choose to go to the future, this is probably the best option age-wise because you get to project into the future as your current self and begin aging then. But then everybody around you is older and would die sooner and you've just missed out on everything that could have happened to you in the intervening years between the present and the future point you choose.

So yeah, I would choose to do nothing lol.

February 18th, 2013, 12:04 AM
I'd do the pause button, since I'm OK with being in my 20's (I do turn 21 in October) and seeing myself get old fast would make me freak out since I'm scared of death lol.

Yeah, I'd want to stay as I am.

February 18th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Going bakckward might create nasty paradoxes, like the famous "Grandfather Paradox". Going forward, will still create more paradoxes like the other one(and probably lots and lots of wormholes :/). I rather stick to what is now, and rely on the current theories and predictions.