February 9th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Now when it comes to envy y'all is green
Jealous of the rhyme and the ryhme routine
Another dimension, new galaxy
Intergalactic planetary

Intergalactic, planetary, planetary, planetary, planetary Intergalactic
Intergalactic, planetary, planetary, planetary, planetary Intergalactic

Haha, obligatory beastie boys song.

Do you think that life outside of earth is possible? Or is it just too improbable?

Katholic Nun
February 10th, 2013, 04:11 PM
This is generally the sort of subject that would go in OC&D rather than OVP. I'll leave it here for now as long as we're all just listing our opinions but if it gets into debate or discussion I'll move it over there :)

As for me, I think it's not just possible but probable. The universe is endless with who knows how many galaxies and planets - I think it would be presumptuous to think that this is the only planet that sustains life.

antemortem
February 10th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Probability would say that in the infinitely expansive universe that we are but a mere speck in, if even that, that there is life on other planets in other galaxies, and I have no evidence to disprove the possibility. So, yes, I do think it is probable. Like Andy said, surely we can't be the only planet out there capable of supporting life?

Brynjolf
February 10th, 2013, 04:39 PM
This is generally the sort of subject that would go in OC&D rather than OVP. I'll leave it here for now as long as we're all just listing our opinions but if it gets into debate or discussion I'll move it over there :)

As for me, I think it's not just possible but probable. The universe is endless with who knows how many galaxies and planets - I think it would be presumptuous to think that this is the only planet that sustains life.

Alright. I was unsure of what forum it went in, but I was honestly just wondering what people's opinions on the subject of aliens were. :)

Brendino
February 11th, 2013, 12:25 AM
I would say that it's pretty likely. Even single celled micro-organisms from other planets would be considered alien to us, and with the infinite size of the universe, there's got to be a few little organisms floating around somewhere.

Whether or not there's any intelligent form of life other than ourselves in the universe is an entirely different matter, but I prefer to be optimistic and hope there is (even if we never come in contact with them in our lifetimes).

Cassino
February 11th, 2013, 06:47 AM
It's certainly possible if we exist now to discuss the matter. I think of Earth as 'just another planet', really; it could be very unpleasant for many extraterrestrials.
This (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hubble_Extreme_Deep_Field_(full_resolution).png) is the lastest of Hubble's Deep Field images. 15,500 galaxies pictured in a space of sky far less than 1°. I don't think I've felt a real appreciation for the vastness of the universe until seeing these images, so I'd like to share one. Considering also that the 'building blocks' for life as we yet know it (carbon, oxygen, etc.) are extremely common, I think it's reasonable to assume that life is inevitable.

PlatinumDude
February 11th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I think life outside of Earth is possible; it's just too far away from us to observe.

pikakitten
February 11th, 2013, 05:50 PM
I feel that the chances of life even happening at random from some "big bang" seem very unlikely to start any life whatsoever, and doing it twice just that much less likely xD