PDA

View Full Version : "Oh God, I'm blind!"

TornZero
February 9th, 2013, 01:49 PM
If you lost any given sense (out of touch, sight, smell, taste and hearing), but were allowed to choose, what would it be, and why?

For situational purposes, it won't take effect immediately, but as soon as you wake up the next day.

⊗Slenderman⊗
February 9th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Smell or taste, I guess. I think I'd choose hearing and sight last, considering how much they obviously are used. I:

LilJz
February 9th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Porbably taste... because it would make eating things way more easier.

But..but.. isn't taste and smell kind of related together?

TornZero
February 9th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Taste is, among other factors that can directly affect your quality of life such as memory, dependent on your sense of smell.

Though, suddenly losing your sense of taste can be just as horrible if there are foods you (used to) enjoy eating. Some studies also conclude a sense of taste is related to one's metabolism.

Guy
February 9th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Cut me up and throw me away if I ever went blind or deaf. Okay, that's exaggerating a bit, but it gives you the idea of how I'd feel if I ever lost either of those senses. So, definitely not choosing either of those.

I think I'd like to keep my sense of smell and taste, because they are more or less connected. More than that, they're linked to what we can remmeber, and that's important to me.

So I guess it's down to my sense of touch. I think I'd be okay if I couldn't feel whatever I'm touching anymore. Although, the thought of not being able to feel some dangerous bug crawling on my skin is a bit frightening. But out of all the other senses, it doesn't feel as important.

Dakota
February 9th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Smell, for sure. The way I see it, it's the one you can easily adapt to, were you to lose it. Sure, taste might be affected as collateral damage, but not completely!

Sweets Witch
February 9th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Smell, probably. I wouldn't mind taking the hit to my sense of taste. Sure, it'd be like losing 1 and a half senses, but it wouldn't be as major as sight or hearing.

Evanlyn
February 9th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Smell or taste. I love playing music, so I kinda need my sight & hearing, and touch is always nice to have... though I'd prefer not to lose any senses but anyway..

Brynjolf
February 9th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Taste. Then I wouldn't crave sweets all the time, and I'd still be able to smell things like flowers and people I love. There is a good side to smell, so I'd keep it. Taste just makes me fat.

Talli
February 10th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Taste as I would not go for sugary things to eat instead of healthier options of food.

Hikamaru
February 10th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Smell, since the others are so important to me.

Penta Penguin
February 10th, 2013, 07:15 AM
I would choose to lose my sense of smell, as I think it is the least important sense. At least you wouldn't be able to smell the bad smells that are going around, so that's a plus.

revere
February 10th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Just like most others, I'd pick smell/taste. I wonder what sorts of food which I could actually enjoy without those!

Brendino
February 11th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Even though they're closely linked, I wouldn't mind losing taste over smell, as I'd still be able to smell the aroma of foods, but I just wouldn't be able to taste them (which might actually be good, as there are a few foods that I don't really care for).

In order from what sense I wouldn't mind losing to the most important to me, I'd say it would be taste, smell, hearing, sight, then touch last.

Renpuu
February 11th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Touch would be an interesting one to lose. Personally if I could feel no physical pain through losing the sense of touch, then that would be fine by me. It would actually be of use to me when it comes to fighting/kumite.
Sight and hearing are the two most precious so it would not be advisable to lose them.
Taste and smell are combined, if you lose your sense of smell, you can no longer taste food, you just feel the textures more than anything.

pikakitten
February 11th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Smell, no more nasty scents, but no more taste either still better than anything else xD

Hannah
February 12th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Hm, I remember answering a similar thread before, but I can't remember what I answered.

It's either smell or taste.

Playful_Weasel
February 13th, 2013, 01:24 AM
Its a very difficult choice, I would get rid of smell. I use sight, hearing, and speech a lot, especially for Pokemon, I would miss the taste of food, so smell is the only choice, I would miss the smell of delicious food being cooked or cakes coming out of the oven.

Cordelia
February 13th, 2013, 02:11 PM
I'd lose my sense of smell, since mine isn't that strong anyway. Of course, this would negatively affect taste, but I think I could deal with it. I couldn't live without the main three and I'd rather taste than smell.

The_Consumer
February 16th, 2013, 05:41 PM
I would choose smell or taste.
Intersting question.
I wonder if anyone on PC is deaf.

Kura
February 17th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Hmm.. either smell or taste. I previously said smell on this sort of question.. but smell could be quite useful in some situations (smelling a gas leak) so this time I'll go with taste. (Even though I love food.)

KriegStein
February 17th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Taste or smell would be the safest option. I could live without touch but it would soon get awful. :/

Patchisou Yutohru
February 17th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I'm going to be lame and give the obvious, not thought out answer and say that I'd lose my sense of smell since it would affect me the least.

awolfsquared
February 18th, 2013, 01:25 AM
I would say smell. I prefer knowing what my food tastes like than what it smells like. I'd rather not be blind or death. I already have to wear glasses so I'd hate to not be able to completely see. And I also like being able to hear things especially music.

Sodom
February 18th, 2013, 03:38 AM
You see, I don't know. It's definitely between smell and taste because I'm not an idiot, but I can't decide which.

My immediate thought was taste, because like 80% of taste is in smell, so losing the sense of taste would just mean losing taste and I'd get to keep my sense of smell, but losing smell would mean losing taste too. However then I thought about it and how upset I'd get if I could smell awesome things and not taste them, so I'm conflicted.

But it'd be either one of those, for sure!